Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ] Mistral Meals-Closed!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28
I'd like to be added to the daily pinglist please! [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=23111612] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/231117/23111612_350.png[/img][/url] [item=greenpod bloom][item=frosted violets][item=fragrant orchid][/center] Snickerdoodle considered the challenge ingredients with care, doing a smell test (and a little taste test) to check qualities such as flavor, texture, crispness, freshness... If she had simply been cooking for herself or for her clan, Snickerdoodle would have simply chopped up the flowers and tossed them up in a light salad. But this was the annual MistJam cooking contest, and the judges deserved better than average. Plus, this was her chance to [i]really [/i]show off her cooking skills. With that in mind, Snickerdoodle grabbed some extra ingredients from the pantry and began planning her dish. [center][item=water lettuce][item=spinach][item=woodland acorn][item=sunbeam fig][/center] Snickerdoodle plucked the petals from the greenpod blooms, frosted violets, and fragrant orchids by hand, careful not to tear any of the petals. She placed the petals in a large wooden salad bowl - she'd get back to those later. She did the same with the spinach and water lettuce, picking off leaves from the stem and only cutting the ones she deemed too big to eat whole. She threw those into the salad bowl as well. Using a fork and spoon, she tossed the mixture until the plants were fully mixed. She then moved on to the woodland acorns, using a food hammer to crush the nuts into small pieces, and then sprinkling the nuts on top of the salad. Snickerdoodle did the same with the dried sunbeam figs, chopping them up and sprinkling the pieces on top. The figs would hopefully add some color and mild sweetness to the simple salad, and the nuts would add some crunch and nuttiness. Lettuce and spinach were safe choices for salad, but they would at least add bulk to the salad without overwhelming the flavors of the flower petals. To complete the dish, Snickerdoodle drizzled a light vinegar-based dressing over her salad, and then settled down to wait patiently for the judge to arrive and taste it.
I'd like to be added to the daily pinglist please!

23111612_350.png

Greenpod Bloom Frosted Violets Fragrant Orchid
Snickerdoodle considered the challenge ingredients with care, doing a smell test (and a little taste test) to check qualities such as flavor, texture, crispness, freshness... If she had simply been cooking for herself or for her clan, Snickerdoodle would have simply chopped up the flowers and tossed them up in a light salad. But this was the annual MistJam cooking contest, and the judges deserved better than average. Plus, this was her chance to really show off her cooking skills. With that in mind, Snickerdoodle grabbed some extra ingredients from the pantry and began planning her dish.
Water Lettuce Spinach Woodland Acorn Sunbeam Fig
Snickerdoodle plucked the petals from the greenpod blooms, frosted violets, and fragrant orchids by hand, careful not to tear any of the petals. She placed the petals in a large wooden salad bowl - she'd get back to those later. She did the same with the spinach and water lettuce, picking off leaves from the stem and only cutting the ones she deemed too big to eat whole. She threw those into the salad bowl as well. Using a fork and spoon, she tossed the mixture until the plants were fully mixed.

She then moved on to the woodland acorns, using a food hammer to crush the nuts into small pieces, and then sprinkling the nuts on top of the salad. Snickerdoodle did the same with the dried sunbeam figs, chopping them up and sprinkling the pieces on top. The figs would hopefully add some color and mild sweetness to the simple salad, and the nuts would add some crunch and nuttiness. Lettuce and spinach were safe choices for salad, but they would at least add bulk to the salad without overwhelming the flavors of the flower petals. To complete the dish, Snickerdoodle drizzled a light vinegar-based dressing over her salad, and then settled down to wait patiently for the judge to arrive and taste it.
Na5WGHa.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49751063] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/497511/49751063_350.png[/img] [/url] [item=greenpod bloom] [item=frosted violets] [item=fragrant orchid][/center] Ilan chose a station and, while it was just like all the other cooking stations, gave it a good looking-over to make sure it was up to his standards. With a curt nod of approval, he shrugged out of his coat and untwined his scarf from around his neck, hanging each of them up neatly. Then it was time to dig into the basket. Hmm. the greenpod blooms and violets were familiar sights...the orchids, not so much. And what was that -smell-? Feelers bobbed and nostrils worked as he sniffed his way deep into the basket...oh no. That smell really -was- coming from the flowers. [i]OH NO.[/i] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/73307/7330670p.png?mtime=W-h_lAAAHrk.png[/img] A head popped up over the edge of the counter. "What're you makin'?" Arao asked, scattering flowers all over the space as he rooted around in them. "It smells -delicious-." "ARAO NO." Ilan swatted at the Mirror's headfins. In most clans it was a bad idea to take a swing at any of the dragons in charge, but Arao was never the sort to understand subtlety. "I'm making -stuff-. And things. And I -- ARAO GET OFF THE COUNTER." Many sprays with a water bottle and a lot of hissing later, Arao was dispatched to go forage for more ingredients. In the meantime, Ilan got to work. He got a fire going and wrapped the pods in wet parchment before he set them in the middle of the coals. He spread half of the violets out on a metal pan near the fire. As the pods began to emerge from their dissolving covering of paper-turned-ash and the delicate blooms withered, he turned his attention to the orchids. The inner portion proved to be the most, uh, aromatic. But it also had the most flavor. And...it wasn't half bad. There was a creamy substance inside which had a flavor that proved completely antithetical to the awful smell exuded by the waxy petals that covered it. Licking his lips, he plucked the center portions out of each orchid and set them aside. He was just finishing up there, when Arao returned with a pannier full of the things he'd gathered. He slammed it on the counter, along with a brace full of dark-feathered birds. "By the Eleven, I thought I told you to go get more -food-!" Ilan squawked, as rocks pattered out of the basket and rolled across the counter. Arao urged him to just look inside, and the Skydancer wrinkled his nose at the dead birds cluttering his counter, and cracked the pack open. The mix inside was...eclectic. More furry things, some seafood, a scattering of insects. As for plants...sigh. Sour spinach? Grass? Thistles?! However, Ilan eventually extracted some things that he thought might work. [center][item=bonebark mold] [item=fairy ears] [item=red emperor tulip] [item=golden-laced rooster][/center] He shooed Arao out of the kitchen again, bribing him with letting him keep the majority of his brace of roosters, and went back to work. The one rooster he kept, he plucked, cleaned, and set to roast in the fire. The violets were quite dry, by now. He found that as he crushed them, they stained everything a deep shade of purple. He set them aside, and then began to chop up and pulverize the greenpod blooms. He worked them until they had formed a loose mealy flour. He combined this with the dark purple flakes of violet, kneading them into a blueish-purple dough, which he then cut into strips, and set on the pan by the fire again to cook. The fairy ears, he chopped up and simmered in a pan until they were nice and tender and making their own delicious, mushroomy sauce. He took half of the fairy ears and ran them through a food processor to make them into a cream, and set the others aside for now. One by one, the waxy sheaths inside the orchids were scooped out and the creamy bits inside were stirred into the sauce. He stirred it, judiciously adding water and a hint of vinegar until it had reached a soupy, creamy consistancy. Then, he promptly set the pan into an ice bath to cool. He took some of the rooster's breast meat and shredded it up, mixing it with some fire-dried bonebark mold, then set it on ice to cool, as well. He checked on his noodle strips and gathered them up. He ladled some of the chilled soup into a bowl, then set the chicken in a pile in the center and dusted it with some leftover flakes of mold and powdered violet. Dark indigo noodles were set on one side of the chicken, and fairy ear chunks were nestled on the other. Some bits of fresh bonebark mold, the red tulip petals, and the remaining, intact violets were arranged around the pile in an eye-catching arrangement of edible color. As an afterthought, he arranged some chunks of quartz crystal and microcline around the base of the bowl, on its presenting tray. Ilan pushed his offering to the front of his station, and waited for the judge to come by and taste it: [b]Chilled Fairy Ear and Orchid Soup[/b], [i]garnished with shredded chicken, greenpod masa strips, fairy ear mushrooms, bonebark mold, red emporer tulip petals, and intact frosted violets.[/i]

49751063_350.png

Greenpod Bloom Frosted Violets Fragrant Orchid

Ilan chose a station and, while it was just like all the other cooking stations, gave it a good looking-over to make sure it was up to his standards. With a curt nod of approval, he shrugged out of his coat and untwined his scarf from around his neck, hanging each of them up neatly. Then it was time to dig into the basket.

Hmm. the greenpod blooms and violets were familiar sights...the orchids, not so much. And what was that -smell-? Feelers bobbed and nostrils worked as he sniffed his way deep into the basket...oh no. That smell really -was- coming from the flowers. OH NO.

7330670p.png?mtime=W-h_lAAAHrk.png A head popped up over the edge of the counter. "What're you makin'?" Arao asked, scattering flowers all over the space as he rooted around in them. "It smells -delicious-."

"ARAO NO." Ilan swatted at the Mirror's headfins. In most clans it was a bad idea to take a swing at any of the dragons in charge, but Arao was never the sort to understand subtlety. "I'm making -stuff-. And things. And I -- ARAO GET OFF THE COUNTER."

Many sprays with a water bottle and a lot of hissing later, Arao was dispatched to go forage for more ingredients. In the meantime, Ilan got to work.

He got a fire going and wrapped the pods in wet parchment before he set them in the middle of the coals. He spread half of the violets out on a metal pan near the fire. As the pods began to emerge from their dissolving covering of paper-turned-ash and the delicate blooms withered, he turned his attention to the orchids.

The inner portion proved to be the most, uh, aromatic. But it also had the most flavor. And...it wasn't half bad. There was a creamy substance inside which had a flavor that proved completely antithetical to the awful smell exuded by the waxy petals that covered it. Licking his lips, he plucked the center portions out of each orchid and set them aside.

He was just finishing up there, when Arao returned with a pannier full of the things he'd gathered. He slammed it on the counter, along with a brace full of dark-feathered birds.

"By the Eleven, I thought I told you to go get more -food-!" Ilan squawked, as rocks pattered out of the basket and rolled across the counter. Arao urged him to just look inside, and the Skydancer wrinkled his nose at the dead birds cluttering his counter, and cracked the pack open. The mix inside was...eclectic. More furry things, some seafood, a scattering of insects. As for plants...sigh. Sour spinach? Grass? Thistles?!

However, Ilan eventually extracted some things that he thought might work.
Bonebark Mold Fairy Ears Red Emperor Tulip Golden-Laced Rooster
He shooed Arao out of the kitchen again, bribing him with letting him keep the majority of his brace of roosters, and went back to work. The one rooster he kept, he plucked, cleaned, and set to roast in the fire.

The violets were quite dry, by now. He found that as he crushed them, they stained everything a deep shade of purple. He set them aside, and then began to chop up and pulverize the greenpod blooms. He worked them until they had formed a loose mealy flour. He combined this with the dark purple flakes of violet, kneading them into a blueish-purple dough, which he then cut into strips, and set on the pan by the fire again to cook.

The fairy ears, he chopped up and simmered in a pan until they were nice and tender and making their own delicious, mushroomy sauce. He took half of the fairy ears and ran them through a food processor to make them into a cream, and set the others aside for now. One by one, the waxy sheaths inside the orchids were scooped out and the creamy bits inside were stirred into the sauce. He stirred it, judiciously adding water and a hint of vinegar until it had reached a soupy, creamy consistancy. Then, he promptly set the pan into an ice bath to cool.

He took some of the rooster's breast meat and shredded it up, mixing it with some fire-dried bonebark mold, then set it on ice to cool, as well. He checked on his noodle strips and gathered them up.

He ladled some of the chilled soup into a bowl, then set the chicken in a pile in the center and dusted it with some leftover flakes of mold and powdered violet. Dark indigo noodles were set on one side of the chicken, and fairy ear chunks were nestled on the other. Some bits of fresh bonebark mold, the red tulip petals, and the remaining, intact violets were arranged around the pile in an eye-catching arrangement of edible color. As an afterthought, he arranged some chunks of quartz crystal and microcline around the base of the bowl, on its presenting tray.

Ilan pushed his offering to the front of his station, and waited for the judge to come by and taste it: Chilled Fairy Ear and Orchid Soup, garnished with shredded chicken, greenpod masa strips, fairy ear mushrooms, bonebark mold, red emporer tulip petals, and intact frosted violets.
B1Vtq5s.gifRz7ZJcJ.png tumblr_inline_otq29dktir1qzyloc_500.gif Uxts8PW.gif gFwGJ3H.gif
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38225245] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/382253/38225245_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @Sotku Tonraq's eyes light up at the site of another Nocturne approaching him with [i]proper[/i] meat this time. Sure, sticking to plant based meals did emphasize the theme of the round and a good way to work with all three ingredients...but he might might end up even more grumpy than he already was if he didn't get something more substantial in his stomach. "I really like what you did with the smoking of the greenpod blossoms," he praised Bless, "The violet chips were a great touch as well for a garnish but..." he prods at the soggy and limp orchids in the stew, "I can't say flowers take well to caramelizing. It got rid of that awful flavor but didn't do much for texture." @MarinaQuakenbush Tonraq was stunned. Rovigo's dish was far from the best dish he'd tasted all day (the rolls themselves just didn't seem to hold together well), but the plum sauce was perhaps the best use of the fragrant orchard all day. The sauce itself was delicious, but then just that barest hint of the orchids mixed well while still letting the diner know it was still there. He ended up polling off a few of the rolls less so he could eat them and more so he could indulge more in the sauce some more. @L1BR4 Even if Tonraq wasn't terribly impressed with a lot of the day's entries so far, they'd all at least been edible. Einws' dish though... "No." He said flatly after taking a bite. "It was an impressive effort but speaking as a qualified healer this would make a number of dragons sick. You'd be best off taking back some prepared snacks for you and your clan rather than this." He does frown a bit after giving his judgement and pokes around some of the scraps at the other dragon's workspace. "Honestly I'm almost concerned you might have gotten bad ingredients by accident..." ((*clutches at face* Your pair is so cute!!! It physically hurt when the RNG gave them such a low score! D: )) @tigressRising He really should have thought about the number of salads he would get. Definately the obvious way to use the ingredients, but if he'd put more effort into his choices he probably could have chosen petal jumpers or something! Good, tasty insects but still had flowers in their name essentially. Though Tonraq had to admit, Snickerdoodle's salad was quite appealing to look at. Eating though... "The ingredients work well together, I'll give you that," he says, grimacing and rubbing at his jaw, "Can't say I like how the nuts and fig seeds are getting stuck in my teeth though." @Elsu For quite possibly the first time that day, Tonraq broke into a please smile. He couldn't say Ilan's dish was [i]prefect[/i], he doubted any dragon would be able to satisfy him that well at this point, but he was happy enough to get a dish he genuinely [i]liked[/i] today. It made him feel refreshed. "I don't think anyone else discovered a portion of the orchid that tasted so well," he praised, leaving out the fact that he hadn't even realized that simply not using the petals was clearly the way to go with this ingredient. "And I've used soup plenty of times when tending to sick dragons...but this is quite delightful." [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8889387] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/88894/8889387_350.png[/img] [/url] [/center] @VelveteenVixen "Well, I like spicy things," Syrah says as she licks her chops, polishing off the serving of gumbo fairly quickly, "If you couldn't tell already. But whether or not that will work to your favor with-" She cuts herself off quickly before accidentally revealing what her ingredients are going to be later in the week. "Really I don't know what Tonraq's problem is. That pepper gave the meal a kick but I could eat [i]heaps[/i] of this and it would barely make my tongue tingle!"

@Sotku

Tonraq's eyes light up at the site of another Nocturne approaching him with proper meat this time.

Sure, sticking to plant based meals did emphasize the theme of the round and a good way to work with all three ingredients...but he might might end up even more grumpy than he already was if he didn't get something more substantial in his stomach.

"I really like what you did with the smoking of the greenpod blossoms," he praised Bless, "The violet chips were a great touch as well for a garnish but..." he prods at the soggy and limp orchids in the stew, "I can't say flowers take well to caramelizing. It got rid of that awful flavor but didn't do much for texture."

@MarinaQuakenbush

Tonraq was stunned. Rovigo's dish was far from the best dish he'd tasted all day (the rolls themselves just didn't seem to hold together well), but the plum sauce was perhaps the best use of the fragrant orchard all day. The sauce itself was delicious, but then just that barest hint of the orchids mixed well while still letting the diner know it was still there.

He ended up polling off a few of the rolls less so he could eat them and more so he could indulge more in the sauce some more.

@L1BR4

Even if Tonraq wasn't terribly impressed with a lot of the day's entries so far, they'd all at least been edible.

Einws' dish though...

"No." He said flatly after taking a bite. "It was an impressive effort but speaking as a qualified healer this would make a number of dragons sick. You'd be best off taking back some prepared snacks for you and your clan rather than this."

He does frown a bit after giving his judgement and pokes around some of the scraps at the other dragon's workspace. "Honestly I'm almost concerned you might have gotten bad ingredients by accident..."

((*clutches at face* Your pair is so cute!!! It physically hurt when the RNG gave them such a low score! D: ))

@tigressRising

He really should have thought about the number of salads he would get. Definately the obvious way to use the ingredients, but if he'd put more effort into his choices he probably could have chosen petal jumpers or something! Good, tasty insects but still had flowers in their name essentially.

Though Tonraq had to admit, Snickerdoodle's salad was quite appealing to look at. Eating though...

"The ingredients work well together, I'll give you that," he says, grimacing and rubbing at his jaw, "Can't say I like how the nuts and fig seeds are getting stuck in my teeth though."

@Elsu

For quite possibly the first time that day, Tonraq broke into a please smile. He couldn't say Ilan's dish was prefect, he doubted any dragon would be able to satisfy him that well at this point, but he was happy enough to get a dish he genuinely liked today. It made him feel refreshed.

"I don't think anyone else discovered a portion of the orchid that tasted so well," he praised, leaving out the fact that he hadn't even realized that simply not using the petals was clearly the way to go with this ingredient. "And I've used soup plenty of times when tending to sick dragons...but this is quite delightful."

@VelveteenVixen

"Well, I like spicy things," Syrah says as she licks her chops, polishing off the serving of gumbo fairly quickly, "If you couldn't tell already. But whether or not that will work to your favor with-" She cuts herself off quickly before accidentally revealing what her ingredients are going to be later in the week.

"Really I don't know what Tonraq's problem is. That pepper gave the meal a kick but I could eat heaps of this and it would barely make my tongue tingle!"
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
Gladys still hasn't turned back to look at Syrah (the hot red wash across her face needs to go away first), but a smile does twinge at the corners of her mouth when Syrah compliments the meal. She'll have to have Avani try it; the spiral is kind enough to not hurt Gladys' feelings, but picky enough to know if the general public would like that dish on the menu of the Inn.

Spire gives a nod.

"We'll do our best to impress you. I'm sure Gladys can give you the recipe if you're interested." She tightens the wraps on her arms, blood free for the day (while plants weren't all that messy, they're not her forte, nor are they nearly as fun to chop up as a good ribeye), and takes to helping Gladys clean up.
Gladys still hasn't turned back to look at Syrah (the hot red wash across her face needs to go away first), but a smile does twinge at the corners of her mouth when Syrah compliments the meal. She'll have to have Avani try it; the spiral is kind enough to not hurt Gladys' feelings, but picky enough to know if the general public would like that dish on the menu of the Inn.

Spire gives a nod.

"We'll do our best to impress you. I'm sure Gladys can give you the recipe if you're interested." She tightens the wraps on her arms, blood free for the day (while plants weren't all that messy, they're not her forte, nor are they nearly as fun to chop up as a good ribeye), and takes to helping Gladys clean up.
Kit | Wind Flight | FR+3
HxcMlGn.pngbYt72YT.png
AF2jC5e.pngQetF0Qf.png
XmHV7tO.pngGOoia7D.png
54.png
Yay, I'm excited! Could I be added to the pinglist, please? (Edit: dried, it was dried, not tried. Took me way too long to figure out.) ----- [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=39481042] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/394811/39481042.png[/img] [/url][/center] While strolling around the festival grounds, Kalaghi couldn't help but notice the big tent with the interesting smell. Although she had to admit that cooking was not her strong side, eating was - and while she noticed that it seemed like a cooking competition, she still hoped to be able to snatch something. Maybe when nobody was looking. Sadly, this wasn't the case, no matter how long she wandered through the tent or how much she tried to look innocent. She just wasn't good at that. Deep in thoughts, she bumped into a kitchen counter, and promptly fell to the ground. When she rose again mere seconds later, she found that someone had seemingly interpreted her mishap as an application, because flowers had been placed on the counter, flowers that hadn't been there before. Kalaghi looked around, likely seeming helpless, then sighed and decided that she could as well try. (The thought that she might just have stolen the counter from another dragon didn't even occur to her.) So... flowers. Even worse, [i]smelly[/i] flowers. She wrinkled her nose, already regretting her decision, but an idea had already started to form in her head and it would be a shame if it was wasted. After all, it couldn't be as hard. The big problem was the smell, but she was positive that she could deal with it. First, because most time-consuming, would be the [b]Greenpod Bloom[/b], though. She'd seen other dragons cook the pods and get them to... well, it didn't actually look like blooming, but whatever. She'd get to the leaves that way, and that was what mattered. So she threw a handful into a pot. What went into a pot as well - but [i]not [/i]the same one, even though she almost made that mistake - were sugar, water, lemon and a ton of [b]Frosted Violets[/b]. Soon after, it had barely even boiled, the mixture was strained, and the resulting reddish liquid went into a nearby fridge. Sighing, Kalaghi turned her attention to the [b]Fragrant Orchids[/b]. While she was pretty sure she could conceal the smell, she still decided to be careful with it, and only plucked the leaves from a handful of them. She practically threw them into slightly-whipped eggwhite and crystalline sugar, then onto a tray and into the oven. With another soft sigh, the coatl registered that the pods had opened and fished them out of the water. What followed was a repeat of the earlier procedure, just with oil instead of egg whites and a sprinkle of salt. When she opened the oven, an abominable stink hit her in the face. Kalaghi yelped and tried to jump back, but instead, her knees buckled and she hit the ground. A groan escaped her throat. Biting her tongue to prevent a string of swears, she pulled herself together and switched the trays; the Greenpod petals were baked longer, not just dried, which meant she had enough time to prepare the last part. The violet syrup was taken from the fridge and mixed with yoghurt, as well as the candied orchid petals. There was hoping that it would work with smell just as well as with spicy food. Once that was done, though, Kalaghi had no other task and, within mere seconds, fell asleep with her head on the counter. Lucky for her, the smell of burnt petals woke her up rather quickly - which meant her head slid off the counter and she was motionless for a minute before scrambling to her feet. Even more lucky, there were still enough unburnt petals left that she didn't need to make a new batch. She hastily prepared a plate of petals and a bowl of yoghurt, garnished with a few violets and a drizzle of syrup, as well as a note: [i]"Greenpod chips with Violet and Orchid yoghurt dip"[/i]. Then she proceeded to wait for a judge and try not to drift off to sleep. (It didn't work.)
Yay, I'm excited! Could I be added to the pinglist, please?
(Edit: dried, it was dried, not tried. Took me way too long to figure out.)

While strolling around the festival grounds, Kalaghi couldn't help but notice the big tent with the interesting smell. Although she had to admit that cooking was not her strong side, eating was - and while she noticed that it seemed like a cooking competition, she still hoped to be able to snatch something. Maybe when nobody was looking.
Sadly, this wasn't the case, no matter how long she wandered through the tent or how much she tried to look innocent. She just wasn't good at that. Deep in thoughts, she bumped into a kitchen counter, and promptly fell to the ground.
When she rose again mere seconds later, she found that someone had seemingly interpreted her mishap as an application, because flowers had been placed on the counter, flowers that hadn't been there before. Kalaghi looked around, likely seeming helpless, then sighed and decided that she could as well try. (The thought that she might just have stolen the counter from another dragon didn't even occur to her.)
So... flowers. Even worse, smelly flowers. She wrinkled her nose, already regretting her decision, but an idea had already started to form in her head and it would be a shame if it was wasted. After all, it couldn't be as hard.
The big problem was the smell, but she was positive that she could deal with it. First, because most time-consuming, would be the Greenpod Bloom, though. She'd seen other dragons cook the pods and get them to... well, it didn't actually look like blooming, but whatever. She'd get to the leaves that way, and that was what mattered. So she threw a handful into a pot.
What went into a pot as well - but not the same one, even though she almost made that mistake - were sugar, water, lemon and a ton of Frosted Violets. Soon after, it had barely even boiled, the mixture was strained, and the resulting reddish liquid went into a nearby fridge.
Sighing, Kalaghi turned her attention to the Fragrant Orchids. While she was pretty sure she could conceal the smell, she still decided to be careful with it, and only plucked the leaves from a handful of them. She practically threw them into slightly-whipped eggwhite and crystalline sugar, then onto a tray and into the oven.
With another soft sigh, the coatl registered that the pods had opened and fished them out of the water. What followed was a repeat of the earlier procedure, just with oil instead of egg whites and a sprinkle of salt.
When she opened the oven, an abominable stink hit her in the face. Kalaghi yelped and tried to jump back, but instead, her knees buckled and she hit the ground.
A groan escaped her throat. Biting her tongue to prevent a string of swears, she pulled herself together and switched the trays; the Greenpod petals were baked longer, not just dried, which meant she had enough time to prepare the last part.
The violet syrup was taken from the fridge and mixed with yoghurt, as well as the candied orchid petals. There was hoping that it would work with smell just as well as with spicy food. Once that was done, though, Kalaghi had no other task and, within mere seconds, fell asleep with her head on the counter.
Lucky for her, the smell of burnt petals woke her up rather quickly - which meant her head slid off the counter and she was motionless for a minute before scrambling to her feet. Even more lucky, there were still enough unburnt petals left that she didn't need to make a new batch.
She hastily prepared a plate of petals and a bowl of yoghurt, garnished with a few violets and a drizzle of syrup, as well as a note: "Greenpod chips with Violet and Orchid yoghurt dip". Then she proceeded to wait for a judge and try not to drift off to sleep.
(It didn't work.)
frcomm48.png
May I be added to the daily pinglist, please? [center][b]Day 1 - Sunday[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=45633746] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/456338/45633746_350.png[/img] [/url] Medicinal plants? Grinning, Twentis hurried over to collect his ingredients. This first challenge was right up his alley, and perfect as a warmup. As he neared the bin, the Coatl caught sight of the flora, and hummed thoughtfully. Greenpod Blooms, Frosted Violets, and Fragrant Orchids. An interesting combination, of course. Plants normally called for a salad, but first impressions were important. [i]What way to go, what way... Frosted Violets are best cold, but Greenpods are delectable after grilled... and Fragrant Orchids had to be dealt with, them and their pungent odor.[/i] Ah hah! A sudden inspiration came to him, the mere wisp of an idea, but a good one at that. Grabbing some containers and utensils, and a few more ingredients, he made his way over to the kitchen. [b]Annual Oatcakes[/b] A comforting taste of home, all year round, and a good cure-all for any ailments or sniffles. Key Ingredients [item=Greenpod Bloom][item=Frosted Violets][item=Fragrant Orchid][item=Honeycomb Fragment][item=Cinnamon][item=Centaur Ration Pouch][item=Sugarmelon][item=Salt][item=Vegetable Oil] Optional [item=Winter's Delight][item=Juneflower][item=Always-Autumn][item=Maggot][item=Lakebottom Flounder][item=Plantain][item=Acorn][item=Dappled Clucker][item=Citrus Lionfish] After completing his mis en place, Twentis spent a few minutes tapping the smooth surface, thinking over his options. First, something had to be done with the Fragrant Orchid. Taking the [b]Citrus Lionfish[/b], he meticulously removed the citrus poison, placing it in a bowl. Placing both in the refrigerator close to each other, the citrus would help to negate the smell of the Fragrant Orchid. Next, after thoroughly washing his hands and claws, taking the [b]Sugarmelon[/b], the dragon scooped the fruit out of the shell, and mashed it to a pulp, taking the result, and reducing it. Combining the reduced [b]Sugarmelon[/b] and [b]Oats[/b], and mixing it, after everything was roughly incorporated, Twentis added 1/4 of a cup of water, give or take, until everything was forming a shaggy dough. Taking this ball, and spreading it evenly through a pan lined with parchment paper, Twentis grabbed a knife, scoring the dough into squares, then, putting it to bake. Meanwhile, Twentis prepared the toppings. Patting the clucker on the head, the Coatl gently lifted her up, taking a few eggs before putting her back down. Grabbing the [b]Frosted Violets[/b], he gently separated the petals from the center, pulling them off, and coating them in the egg white and sprinkling with sugar. Putting them aside in the freezer, next, the [b]Greenpod Bloom[/b]. Combining the [b]Acorns[/b], [b]Salt[/b], some olive oil, and a few crushed cloves of garlic, and most importantly, the [b]Greenpod Bloom[/b], and crushing them in a mortar and pestle, after some vigorous mashing, scooped some pesto into a bowl, setting it aside in the refrigerator. Finally, taking out the [b]Fragrant Orchid[/b] from the refrigerator, and safely disposing of the citrus poison, and once again washing his hands, Twentis took the [b]Fragrant Orchids[/b], cream, and a grapefruit, knowing the two flavors would complement each other, whipped together a whipped cream. [i]Hah, puns.[/i]With all the key ingredients out of the way, he now had complete freedom. Filleting the Lakebottom Flounder, he put it to smoke. After taking another batch of eggs, soft boiling, hard boiling, and making deviled eggs. Using the preserved[b]Always-Autumn, Juneflower, and Plantain[/b], he brewed a floral tea, and let the plantains soak in the tea, imparting a sweet taste. Holding the [b]Maggots[/b] at a distance, he fried them, creating a gooey insect bite. And, holding the last ingredient, he dumped the [b]Winter's Delight[/b] into a pot, making a jam. After the oatcakes finished baking, while the oatcakes were still warm, Twentis cut them along their earlier scores, separating them so they would cool into their shapes. Taking half, he coated them with a mixture of honey and cinnamon, the other, with a light pinch of salt. Plating the options in small bowls, with the oatcakes lined in a row, Twentis stepped back. Proud of his work, with diverse options that should hopefully satisfy any dragon, delectable and healthy, he crossed his fingers that the judge would be pleased. [b]Topping Options[/b] Sweet: Orchid and Grapefruit Cream Candied Frosted Violets Floral Plantains Winter Jam Savory: Assorted Eggs Greenpod Bloom Pesto Smoked Lakebottom Flouder Fried Maggot
May I be added to the daily pinglist, please?
Day 1 - Sunday

45633746_350.png

Medicinal plants? Grinning, Twentis hurried over to collect his ingredients. This first challenge was right up his alley, and perfect as a warmup. As he neared the bin, the Coatl caught sight of the flora, and hummed thoughtfully. Greenpod Blooms, Frosted Violets, and Fragrant Orchids. An interesting combination, of course. Plants normally called for a salad, but first impressions were important. What way to go, what way... Frosted Violets are best cold, but Greenpods are delectable after grilled... and Fragrant Orchids had to be dealt with, them and their pungent odor. Ah hah! A sudden inspiration came to him, the mere wisp of an idea, but a good one at that. Grabbing some containers and utensils, and a few more ingredients, he made his way over to the kitchen.

Annual Oatcakes
A comforting taste of home, all year round, and a good cure-all for any ailments or sniffles.

Key Ingredients
Greenpod Bloom Frosted Violets Fragrant Orchid Honeycomb Fragment Cinnamon Centaur Ration Pouch Sugarmelon Salt Vegetable Oil
Optional
Winter's Delight Juneflower Always-Autumn Maggot Lakebottom Flounder Plantain Acorn Dappled Clucker Citrus Lionfish

After completing his mis en place, Twentis spent a few minutes tapping the smooth surface, thinking over his options. First, something had to be done with the Fragrant Orchid. Taking the Citrus Lionfish, he meticulously removed the citrus poison, placing it in a bowl. Placing both in the refrigerator close to each other, the citrus would help to negate the smell of the Fragrant Orchid. Next, after thoroughly washing his hands and claws, taking the Sugarmelon, the dragon scooped the fruit out of the shell, and mashed it to a pulp, taking the result, and reducing it. Combining the reduced Sugarmelon and Oats, and mixing it, after everything was roughly incorporated, Twentis added 1/4 of a cup of water, give or take, until everything was forming a shaggy dough. Taking this ball, and spreading it evenly through a pan lined with parchment paper, Twentis grabbed a knife, scoring the dough into squares, then, putting it to bake.

Meanwhile, Twentis prepared the toppings. Patting the clucker on the head, the Coatl gently lifted her up, taking a few eggs before putting her back down. Grabbing the Frosted Violets, he gently separated the petals from the center, pulling them off, and coating them in the egg white and sprinkling with sugar. Putting them aside in the freezer, next, the Greenpod Bloom. Combining the Acorns, Salt, some olive oil, and a few crushed cloves of garlic, and most importantly, the Greenpod Bloom, and crushing them in a mortar and pestle, after some vigorous mashing, scooped some pesto into a bowl, setting it aside in the refrigerator. Finally, taking out the Fragrant Orchid from the refrigerator, and safely disposing of the citrus poison, and once again washing his hands, Twentis took the Fragrant Orchids, cream, and a grapefruit, knowing the two flavors would complement each other, whipped together a whipped cream. Hah, puns.With all the key ingredients out of the way, he now had complete freedom. Filleting the Lakebottom Flounder, he put it to smoke. After taking another batch of eggs, soft boiling, hard boiling, and making deviled eggs. Using the preservedAlways-Autumn, Juneflower, and Plantain, he brewed a floral tea, and let the plantains soak in the tea, imparting a sweet taste. Holding the Maggots at a distance, he fried them, creating a gooey insect bite. And, holding the last ingredient, he dumped the Winter's Delight into a pot, making a jam.

After the oatcakes finished baking, while the oatcakes were still warm, Twentis cut them along their earlier scores, separating them so they would cool into their shapes. Taking half, he coated them with a mixture of honey and cinnamon, the other, with a light pinch of salt.

Plating the options in small bowls, with the oatcakes lined in a row, Twentis stepped back. Proud of his work, with diverse options that should hopefully satisfy any dragon, delectable and healthy, he crossed his fingers that the judge would be pleased.

Topping Options
Sweet:
Orchid and Grapefruit Cream
Candied Frosted Violets
Floral Plantains

Winter Jam

Savory:
Assorted Eggs
Greenpod Bloom Pesto
Smoked Lakebottom Flouder
Fried Maggot
[center][b]Sunday Funday[/b][/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=44165991] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/441660/44165991_350.png[/img] [/url] "Hi there" a timid imperial,(who is way better with his sword than with a kitchen knife) looks over the items given to him. "My name is Leonis" he says as he looks over the ingredients, trying to get a feel on how he was going to prepare this dish. "Very... original choices for these ingredients today judge." he is stalling for time as he can't figure out how in the seven hades he is gonna make a dish with greenpod bloom, frosted violets, and fragrant orchids. "I think i will make a cake today!" he says with a smile as he comes up with a plan. "I will have it done rather quickly" he says before running off to start. Okay so what was that recipe my grandma imp used to make, he pondered. I think it was one cup of greenpod bloom crushed up finely. i should only need a few of these frosted violets to make a nice frosted violet glaze, and lastly i can use these orchids as a decor for the top. * he got to work and not even one hour later he had a finely made cake to hand over to the judge * " here you go Mr.Tonraq, i hope you enjoy this" He looked down at the nocturne with a happy smile.
Sunday Funday

44165991_350.png

"Hi there" a timid imperial,(who is way better with his sword than with a kitchen knife) looks over the items given to him.

"My name is Leonis" he says as he looks over the ingredients, trying to get a feel on how he was going to prepare this dish.

"Very... original choices for these ingredients today judge." he is stalling for time as he can't figure out how in the seven hades he is gonna make a dish with greenpod bloom, frosted violets, and fragrant orchids.

"I think i will make a cake today!" he says with a smile as he comes up with a plan.

"I will have it done rather quickly" he says before running off to start.

Okay so what was that recipe my grandma imp used to make, he pondered. I think it was one cup of greenpod bloom crushed up finely. i should only need a few of these frosted violets to make a nice frosted violet glaze, and lastly i can use these orchids as a decor for the top.

* he got to work and not even one hour later he had a finely made cake to hand over to the judge *

" here you go Mr.Tonraq, i hope you enjoy this" He looked down at the nocturne with a happy smile.
4xn43c.png
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=31826127] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/318262/31826127_350.png[/img] [/url] Cumulus huffs at the Nocturne, eyes narrowing. Even though he had just been teasing Einws about it, hearing someone else telling his mate that... He rapid fire hisses and hums a long series of his native tongue. Einws bumps him with his wing, not willing to translate the bits and pieces he did pick up. He smiles apologetically at the judge as Cumulus stops hissing and just lets out another huff while wrapping a protective wing around Einws. Einws continues to awkwardly smile, “He was just saying that plants are gross.”

31826127_350.png

Cumulus huffs at the Nocturne, eyes narrowing.

Even though he had just been teasing Einws about it, hearing someone else telling his mate that...

He rapid fire hisses and hums a long series of his native tongue.

Einws bumps him with his wing, not willing to translate the bits and pieces he did pick up. He smiles apologetically at the judge as Cumulus stops hissing and just lets out another huff while wrapping a protective wing around Einws.

Einws continues to awkwardly smile, “He was just saying that plants are gross.”
KBQZyFR.pngiCquEWh.pngDKhOfI1.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=49232530] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/492326/49232530_350.png[/img] [/url] Day 1: Sunday[/center] Her father was the clan's florist, but Kirin? Well, since her hatchday, she had rather tasted all the pretty flowers and things than admired how they looked. She was becoming quite an extraordinary and inventive chef; though young, she had found her calling, and her father was proud. She had signed up for the Mistral Meals contest, and with her fairies buzzing around her, she quickly got to work. Sniffing and lightly licking the offered ingredients, she got to thinking. [i]Think think think.[/i] Kirin wasn't the fastest, but she found while they were pretty, and festival, there was something they were lacking. If it was airiness the judge was going for, Kirin would bring a crispness as well, with a bit of sparkle! Obviously! She set to work, slicing and dicing some apples to add to the chosen flowers and rolling them in sugar and baking glitter. But it wasn't enough. She decided to create a trifle. Her fairy companions helped: they mixed the custard and soaked the ladyfingers. When all was put together, Kirin sat back, and waited for her assessment, smiling a tiny but proud smile. [center][item=honeycrisp apple][item=fairy ears][item=lucky star][item=blackberry] [/center]

49232530_350.png

Day 1: Sunday

Her father was the clan's florist, but Kirin? Well, since her hatchday, she had rather tasted all the pretty flowers and things than admired how they looked. She was becoming quite an extraordinary and inventive chef; though young, she had found her calling, and her father was proud.

She had signed up for the Mistral Meals contest, and with her fairies buzzing around her, she quickly got to work. Sniffing and lightly licking the offered ingredients, she got to thinking.

Think think think.

Kirin wasn't the fastest, but she found while they were pretty, and festival, there was something they were lacking. If it was airiness the judge was going for, Kirin would bring a crispness as well, with a bit of sparkle! Obviously!

She set to work, slicing and dicing some apples to add to the chosen flowers and rolling them in sugar and baking glitter. But it wasn't enough. She decided to create a trifle. Her fairy companions helped: they mixed the custard and soaked the ladyfingers.

When all was put together, Kirin sat back, and waited for her assessment, smiling a tiny but proud smile.
Honeycrisp Apple Fairy Ears Lucky Star Blackberry
qXSwF3U.png233SM6q.png Jay (she/her)

Tortoiseshell Tea Haus (a hatchery)
The Foxfire Fortune Clan (a biolocke)

The Melting Pot
Baldwin Manufacturing Plant
[center] Day 1: Sunday - Pixie and Scamandros [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559509093950423040/559519956170178581/33157764p.png[/img][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559509093950423040/559519995399372800/44701803p.png[/img][/center] A spiral slithers up, carrying several cooking ingredients. "Hmm... Let's see how this should all fit... A good food puzzle is always fun. The violets can act as a garnish for some ice cream, and the Greenpod..." She pauses and gestures to a smaller fae that is following her. "Scamandros, I need that campfire pit. Didn't you make one that's easy to light?" The fae, Scamandros, grins. "Yes, ma'am, I did. Let me see..." He pats around his coat, and then eventually pulls his hat off, shaking it over the ground in front of him. Somehow, a nice-sized half-sphere of metal on stands falls out of it, a grate and some cooking implements quickly following it. He replaces his hat and pulls a small package out of his sleeve, tossing it under the grate. Fire flares up and quickly dies down to a very nice cooking temperature. "Perfect." says the spiral. Scamandros pulls several more things out of various pockets (and his sleeves), eventually setting up a cooking station for the spiral, complete with any ingredients she could want. "There you go, Pixie." Pixie nods in thanks and gets to work. She first sets some Greenpods to roast and then scoops a very nice-looking bowl of ice cream, topped with some Frosted Violets and proceeds to brush water over them and set them in a freezer to actually frost over, as well as stay crisp and unmelted. She then regards the Fragrant Orchids. "This... This is the real challenge. It looks lovely, yet smells entirely awful. I can freeze it, which will lessen the smell. I don't know, however, if I ca- oh." She quickly digs around in a crate that Scamandros had procured, smelling several containers. After spending several minutes smelling things, she sets three of them on the counter she has. "Three of the most fragrant things I have, that also smell good together. Let's see if it will work." She sticks two Orchids in a different freezer, that looks much colder. Several hours later, she takes the orchids out. "It's a good thing we got here early, or I wouldn't have had the time to do that." She carefully puts the three spices that she selected earlier in the orchids, positioning them so that they hardly show. "That should cover up the smell... HEY, SCAMANDROS!!" He jumps up from where he had sat down earlier and rushes over to her. "Yes, ma'am?" He asks, tipping his fedora. "I need you to smell this." He looks confused and does as he's asked. "Smells... Pretty good, actually. Aren't those orchids supposed to smell awful?" Pixie smiles. "Yep! However, since they're frozen, they don't! And..." She pulls out the ice cream and Violets, which are now quite pretty with frost. "They can go on the ice cream." Setting them on, she makes it all look very pretty, and then realizes she almost forgot the Greenpods. Perfectly open, and now cooled (cause the fire died entirely when the Greenpods were ready thanks to *drumroll* Scamandros' Science(TM) Cooker), they make a perfect dish... After rearranging some things, Pixie comes out with the largest [b]Greenpod[/b] they had, holding some delicious looking, [b]Frosted Violet[/b] colored ice cream (tastes like the violets too - good thinking, Pixie!) that was crowned with a somehow nice smelling [b]Fragrant Orchid. [/b] ((I'd like to get stuck on the pinglist, please :D))
Day 1: Sunday - Pixie and Scamandros
33157764p.png44701803p.png
A spiral slithers up, carrying several cooking ingredients. "Hmm... Let's see how this should all fit... A good food puzzle is always fun. The violets can act as a garnish for some ice cream, and the Greenpod..." She pauses and gestures to a smaller fae that is following her. "Scamandros, I need that campfire pit. Didn't you make one that's easy to light?" The fae, Scamandros, grins. "Yes, ma'am, I did. Let me see..." He pats around his coat, and then eventually pulls his hat off, shaking it over the ground in front of him.
Somehow, a nice-sized half-sphere of metal on stands falls out of it, a grate and some cooking implements quickly following it. He replaces his hat and pulls a small package out of his sleeve, tossing it under the grate. Fire flares up and quickly dies down to a very nice cooking temperature. "Perfect." says the spiral.
Scamandros pulls several more things out of various pockets (and his sleeves), eventually setting up a cooking station for the spiral, complete with any ingredients she could want. "There you go, Pixie."
Pixie nods in thanks and gets to work. She first sets some Greenpods to roast and then scoops a very nice-looking bowl of ice cream, topped with some Frosted Violets and proceeds to brush water over them and set them in a freezer to actually frost over, as well as stay crisp and unmelted. She then regards the Fragrant Orchids. "This... This is the real challenge. It looks lovely, yet smells entirely awful. I can freeze it, which will lessen the smell. I don't know, however, if I ca- oh." She quickly digs around in a crate that Scamandros had procured, smelling several containers.
After spending several minutes smelling things, she sets three of them on the counter she has. "Three of the most fragrant things I have, that also smell good together. Let's see if it will work." She sticks two Orchids in a different freezer, that looks much colder.

Several hours later, she takes the orchids out. "It's a good thing we got here early, or I wouldn't have had the time to do that." She carefully puts the three spices that she selected earlier in the orchids, positioning them so that they hardly show. "That should cover up the smell... HEY, SCAMANDROS!!" He jumps up from where he had sat down earlier and rushes over to her. "Yes, ma'am?" He asks, tipping his fedora.
"I need you to smell this." He looks confused and does as he's asked. "Smells... Pretty good, actually. Aren't those orchids supposed to smell awful?" Pixie smiles. "Yep! However, since they're frozen, they don't! And..." She pulls out the ice cream and Violets, which are now quite pretty with frost. "They can go on the ice cream." Setting them on, she makes it all look very pretty, and then realizes she almost forgot the Greenpods. Perfectly open, and now cooled (cause the fire died entirely when the Greenpods were ready thanks to *drumroll* Scamandros' Science(TM) Cooker), they make a perfect dish...
After rearranging some things, Pixie comes out with the largest Greenpod they had, holding some delicious looking, Frosted Violet colored ice cream (tastes like the violets too - good thinking, Pixie!) that was crowned with a somehow nice smelling Fragrant Orchid.

((I'd like to get stuck on the pinglist, please :D))
DGvY4qO.gifvideotogif_2018.09.23_22.50.26.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28