Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [MJ-18] Mistral Meals: CLOSED
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38225245] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/382253/38225245_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @Daemonengrau Cadie's latest dish more than made up for the uncomfortable situation he'd just come from. Tonraq's eyes closed in what could only be described as bliss. The risotto was [i]perfect.[/i] No...actualy...the ice cream was perfect, but the risotto was only a few points away from it. "Did you consider including mushrooms?" He asked the two Wildclaws (he hadn't been paying close enough attention to know which of the two was the primary chef or if they'd split the job), "I think an addition of those to the risotto would have really cinched it." @Cheshly "A fine use of broth," Tonraq complimented Hecate, "And the veggies are perfectly cooked. The amounts of each seasoning you used could be a bit better to balance otu the flavors more, but this is something I'd be more than willing to serve my patients if they cannot handle regular meals yet." @dividedAnimus ((By the time you read this, you should realize that I was refering to your post yesterday >:3 How will ButtsPie handle being faced with the "truely horrid things that could be done with jello"?!)) Tonraq is about to sample the curry when there's a yip, and suddenly he has some sort of furry....[i]creature[/i] going after his tail baubles. It looked like the orange Nocture's secret is now officialy out of the bag as the judge yells at him to "Get this thing away from me!" @SilverQuark While Tonraq had not been paying super close attention to contestants as they worked, prefering to mostly linger near the head of the counter until someone flagged for his attention to judge, he had caught sight of Everett's mid-air acrobatics and was somewhat peturbed. "Only Spirals should be doing that without damage to their body," he muttered to himself, "Perhaps I should send him home with some painkillers?" His casual inspection of the coatl to make sure he wasn't actualy injured probably distracted him from his proper judging as he tried to eye him over the bowl of soup, mumbling something about it being too watery before moving onwards. [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9526162] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/95262/9526162_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @JinxMoonstone Kruda yawned, her jaws cracking in the process. She'd been having some late night fun at the Jamboree, and wasn't particularly eager to be called in for some emergency prep-work. Her contribution to her mother's competition was supposed to be done [i]ages[/i] ago, especially since Kakigori was now able to arrange contracts and trade routes and all that nonsense to acquire ingredients rather than just gathering them all on their own like they did the first two years (though even she had to admit that Mistral Meals had grown large enough that there was no way a small team of dragons would be able to find all the food required on their own). Apparentaly Gourmet had decided that the "picked over bones" were not picked over well enough to create a challenge, and had called in Wayfarer's Rests' resident hunter to try and do something about it since the other chefs couldn't be found at the moment. It was boring work, but kept her hands busy. She wasn't sure what time it was when she stuck her head out of the tent she'd secluded herself in to get a whiff of something. It seemed to be coming from an Imperial's workstation, and she slowly and stealthily crept up to take a look as he finished. Kruda loved meat. It was pretty much her whole life, establishing her role at a young age for keeping her mother's pantry well stocked with the stuff. But whatever this Imp was doing was something she'd never seen before! Marrow custard based on the smell of it. When Chess wasn't looking she swiped a tiny taste, and then practicaly wthe whole serving. She'd never tasted anything so delicious in her life! Stick-in-the-mud Tonraq would probably say some gibberish about not using cinnamon or the idea of meat custard was gross...so why should it be wasted on him?!

@Daemonengrau

Cadie's latest dish more than made up for the uncomfortable situation he'd just come from. Tonraq's eyes closed in what could only be described as bliss. The risotto was perfect.

No...actualy...the ice cream was perfect, but the risotto was only a few points away from it. "Did you consider including mushrooms?" He asked the two Wildclaws (he hadn't been paying close enough attention to know which of the two was the primary chef or if they'd split the job), "I think an addition of those to the risotto would have really cinched it."

@Cheshly

"A fine use of broth," Tonraq complimented Hecate, "And the veggies are perfectly cooked. The amounts of each seasoning you used could be a bit better to balance otu the flavors more, but this is something I'd be more than willing to serve my patients if they cannot handle regular meals yet."

@dividedAnimus

((By the time you read this, you should realize that I was refering to your post yesterday >:3 How will ButtsPie handle being faced with the "truely horrid things that could be done with jello"?!))

Tonraq is about to sample the curry when there's a yip, and suddenly he has some sort of furry....creature going after his tail baubles. It looked like the orange Nocture's secret is now officialy out of the bag as the judge yells at him to "Get this thing away from me!"

@SilverQuark

While Tonraq had not been paying super close attention to contestants as they worked, prefering to mostly linger near the head of the counter until someone flagged for his attention to judge, he had caught sight of Everett's mid-air acrobatics and was somewhat peturbed. "Only Spirals should be doing that without damage to their body," he muttered to himself, "Perhaps I should send him home with some painkillers?"

His casual inspection of the coatl to make sure he wasn't actualy injured probably distracted him from his proper judging as he tried to eye him over the bowl of soup, mumbling something about it being too watery before moving onwards.

@JinxMoonstone

Kruda yawned, her jaws cracking in the process. She'd been having some late night fun at the Jamboree, and wasn't particularly eager to be called in for some emergency prep-work. Her contribution to her mother's competition was supposed to be done ages ago, especially since Kakigori was now able to arrange contracts and trade routes and all that nonsense to acquire ingredients rather than just gathering them all on their own like they did the first two years (though even she had to admit that Mistral Meals had grown large enough that there was no way a small team of dragons would be able to find all the food required on their own).

Apparentaly Gourmet had decided that the "picked over bones" were not picked over well enough to create a challenge, and had called in Wayfarer's Rests' resident hunter to try and do something about it since the other chefs couldn't be found at the moment. It was boring work, but kept her hands busy.

She wasn't sure what time it was when she stuck her head out of the tent she'd secluded herself in to get a whiff of something. It seemed to be coming from an Imperial's workstation, and she slowly and stealthily crept up to take a look as he finished.

Kruda loved meat. It was pretty much her whole life, establishing her role at a young age for keeping her mother's pantry well stocked with the stuff. But whatever this Imp was doing was something she'd never seen before! Marrow custard based on the smell of it. When Chess wasn't looking she swiped a tiny taste, and then practicaly wthe whole serving. She'd never tasted anything so delicious in her life! Stick-in-the-mud Tonraq would probably say some gibberish about not using cinnamon or the idea of meat custard was gross...so why should it be wasted on him?!
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=20525486] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/205255/20525486_350.png[/img] [/url] [i]Seventh Meal: Octopus and Tiger Shrimp, slowly cooked within a broth made in part from the bones of a Woodland Turkey[/i][/center] Hannibal thoroughly carves the [b]turkey's[/b] flesh away until only its bare bones remain. They are arranged in a large pot with several quarts of water, mandarin orange peels, chopped onions and garlic cloves, a sprig of parsley and, feeling inspired, a diced sheet of seaweed. He brings it to a boil and then a low simmer, leaving it to cook for a while. [center]~o~[/center] [i]Three hours later...[/i] The [b]strange jelly[/b] is next to be treated. After a taste–soft, a faint gaminess following behind the bite of salt–it is placed in a pot with a few cups of water and minced garlic. As it melts down, a cup of the turkey stock is added in. He then picks up a pan and spoons its contents into the broth; celery, garlic, potatoes, long squash, tomatoes, and dried chili peppers are left to continue cooking. A new pot is filled with water and heated to a boil, and the [b]tentacles[/b] are dropped in. After thirty seconds, they are fished out and spooned into the broth to be simmered over a gentle flame. [center]~o~[/center] [i]A few hours later...[/i] A small bowl of the shrimp–cleaned and gutted, but still left whole–are finally poured into the broth alongside the octopus. After an additional seasoning, the dish is left for only twenty minutes to finish its cooking. Three bowls are set on a tray and carried over to the stove-top. An equal portion of the soup is spooned into each receptacle, and a tiny bundle of rosemary is arranged in their centers. [center]~*~o~*~[/center] Extra: [i]As he poured himself a bit of wine, Hannibal took note of Hecate's simple but charming dish. He waited until he could catch her eye and nodded to her with a faint curl of his lips. She turned away with what may have been a flustered tinting of her fins; he wondered if he could persuade her to accept a glass as well.[/i]

20525486_350.png

Seventh Meal: Octopus and Tiger Shrimp, slowly cooked within a broth made in part from the bones of a Woodland Turkey

Hannibal thoroughly carves the turkey's flesh away until only its bare bones remain. They are arranged in a large pot with several quarts of water, mandarin orange peels, chopped onions and garlic cloves, a sprig of parsley and, feeling inspired, a diced sheet of seaweed. He brings it to a boil and then a low simmer, leaving it to cook for a while.
~o~

Three hours later...

The strange jelly is next to be treated. After a taste–soft, a faint gaminess following behind the bite of salt–it is placed in a pot with a few cups of water and minced garlic. As it melts down, a cup of the turkey stock is added in. He then picks up a pan and spoons its contents into the broth; celery, garlic, potatoes, long squash, tomatoes, and dried chili peppers are left to continue cooking.

A new pot is filled with water and heated to a boil, and the tentacles are dropped in. After thirty seconds, they are fished out and spooned into the broth to be simmered over a gentle flame.
~o~

A few hours later...

A small bowl of the shrimp–cleaned and gutted, but still left whole–are finally poured into the broth alongside the octopus. After an additional seasoning, the dish is left for only twenty minutes to finish its cooking.

Three bowls are set on a tray and carried over to the stove-top. An equal portion of the soup is spooned into each receptacle, and a tiny bundle of rosemary is arranged in their centers.

~*~o~*~

Extra:

As he poured himself a bit of wine, Hannibal took note of Hecate's simple but charming dish. He waited until he could catch her eye and nodded to her with a faint curl of his lips. She turned away with what may have been a flustered tinting of her fins; he wondered if he could persuade her to accept a glass as well.
nMkuik2.gifsNtd9Dk.gif4AJs72V.pngl9DOymq.pngsNtd9Dk.gifRz7ZJcJ.png
[img]https://imgur.com/NQST8ye.png[/img] ...he was going to need some backup. [center]* * *[/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=11694247][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/116943/11694247_350.png[/img][/url][/center] "So, what do you need me here for?" Matte asked as ButtsPie lead her over to the Mistral Meals grounds. Due the previous day's incident the dog, after much protesting, was staying home. His new companion was a bit confused as she had hardly ever prepared anything more complicated than a salad. Why did he want her help, of all dragons? "I just need your help. You think more creatively than I do sometimes." He really hoped this was a good idea. Any idea he could use as a starting point would be great, and he certainly wouldn't mind an extra set of claws in the kitchen. "This is what we have to work with," he said, gesturing to the unfortunate ingredients. "Oh great, awful jelly!" Matte seemed as dismayed as he was. "We have to use all of them," he clarified. "Together?" Unexpectedly, her face kind of lit up. "Are we gonna make a meat pineapple?" She sounded as though she were trying to hold in some incredibly funny joke. "What-no!" he sighed. "We're not doing that, please." "I vote eldritch food abomination!" Matte cackled. ButtsPie groaned, realizing that bringing a kid maybe wasn't the best plan. He looked over to the Bogsneak working at a nearby station. Why couldn't they just prepare something normal like she was doing? [item=green jelly][item=turkey dinner][item=chewy tentacle][item=broadleaf plantain][item=dumpling squid] Their "eldritch food abomination" turned out rather neat-looking in fact. Thanks to Matte's artistic eye they were able to make something visually interesting at least (and not completely horrifying). ButtsPie had pulled the turkey into strips and cooked it, using lemons to flavor it. Matte had insisted they cook the tentacles as well since, although cooking them would make them chewier, they would be easier to pose that way. ButtsPie didn't know what she meant until they started building their piece. A lot of things were suspended in a large block of the jelly. The tentacles rose, dark, out of a forest of kelp leaves. Around them were several tiny dumpling squid, "to make the ocean look inhabited". The jelly itself was flavored with some mint leaves. On the surface sat a boat made of plantain leaves, filled with the turkey strips. The tentacles rose out of the deep and were lashed onto the boat. One had ripped the side of the hull open and its precious cargo spilled into the green jelly sea. One tentacle even held a hand(?)ful of its prize as the rest "sank" to the cold depths. Next to the display piece was a plate with a smaller block of jelly, containing a tentacle and kelp, with a side of lemon-glazed turkey. They weren't going to make the judges try to cut into their oddly-shaped creation. ((go big or go home! I can't believe you made this the last challenge XD ))
NQST8ye.png
...he was going to need some backup.
11694247_350.png
"So, what do you need me here for?" Matte asked as ButtsPie lead her over to the Mistral Meals grounds. Due the previous day's incident the dog, after much protesting, was staying home. His new companion was a bit confused as she had hardly ever prepared anything more complicated than a salad. Why did he want her help, of all dragons?

"I just need your help. You think more creatively than I do sometimes." He really hoped this was a good idea. Any idea he could use as a starting point would be great, and he certainly wouldn't mind an extra set of claws in the kitchen. "This is what we have to work with," he said, gesturing to the unfortunate ingredients.

"Oh great, awful jelly!" Matte seemed as dismayed as he was.

"We have to use all of them," he clarified.

"Together?" Unexpectedly, her face kind of lit up. "Are we gonna make a meat pineapple?" She sounded as though she were trying to hold in some incredibly funny joke.

"What-no!" he sighed. "We're not doing that, please."

"I vote eldritch food abomination!" Matte cackled. ButtsPie groaned, realizing that bringing a kid maybe wasn't the best plan. He looked over to the Bogsneak working at a nearby station. Why couldn't they just prepare something normal like she was doing?
Green Jelly Turkey Dinner Chewy Tentacle Broadleaf Plantain Dumpling Squid
Their "eldritch food abomination" turned out rather neat-looking in fact. Thanks to Matte's artistic eye they were able to make something visually interesting at least (and not completely horrifying). ButtsPie had pulled the turkey into strips and cooked it, using lemons to flavor it. Matte had insisted they cook the tentacles as well since, although cooking them would make them chewier, they would be easier to pose that way. ButtsPie didn't know what she meant until they started building their piece.

A lot of things were suspended in a large block of the jelly. The tentacles rose, dark, out of a forest of kelp leaves. Around them were several tiny dumpling squid, "to make the ocean look inhabited". The jelly itself was flavored with some mint leaves. On the surface sat a boat made of plantain leaves, filled with the turkey strips. The tentacles rose out of the deep and were lashed onto the boat. One had ripped the side of the hull open and its precious cargo spilled into the green jelly sea. One tentacle even held a hand(?)ful of its prize as the rest "sank" to the cold depths.

Next to the display piece was a plate with a smaller block of jelly, containing a tentacle and kelp, with a side of lemon-glazed turkey. They weren't going to make the judges try to cut into their oddly-shaped creation.
((go big or go home! I can't believe you made this the last challenge XD ))
xeDKNxe.pngeNitZGp.gif
Dia and Lynnie staggered in together today, and shared an epic moment of bitterness over the day's ingredients. Lynniw ground her teeth.

"Fine. They want an aspic? They'll get an aspic. After all, they're the ones who have to try it." She growled.

"We could do fried calamari rings, on the side? I'm not really comfortable putting turkey dinner and chewy tentacle in the same dish." Dia suggests. Lynnie pauses for a moment, and then nods, bumping her snout against Dia's.

"I can't remember why we were fighting," she admits. Dia shrugs.

"Me neither. Come on. Oh look, that poor Bogsneak looks a lot more relaxed today, maybe she's given up too." She notes, and they say their hellos to Hecate, complimenting her dish.

Then they get down to business. They reduced the green jelly to a liquid, adding just enough tomato juice to taste it, and then they turn to the turkey. They shred a healthy amount of meat from the cooked bird, and roast some asparagus, hard-boiling a few eggs as well. They cut some sweet pimento peppers into strips, and then turn back to the aspic.

They stir in some finely chopped onion, two tablespoons of lemon, two teaspoons of prepared horseradish, and some chopped parsley. Once that's done, they pour a little of it in the bottom of their mold, and start layering in the eggs, asparagus, pimento, and finally, the turkey meat, before pouring the rest of the jelly over it. Once that's done, they pop the whole thing in the fridge to set after its cooled.

That done, Dia takes her knives to the chewy tentacle, dicing it up until it's ready to be fried. Lynnie makes up a dipping sauce, using pureed onion, tomato paste, a bit of horseradish, and finely chopped pimentos. Dia breads the calamari, and they fry it up, until it's golden brown and delicious.

Now all that's left is to wait for the judging!

(Loosely based on this atrocity)
Dia and Lynnie staggered in together today, and shared an epic moment of bitterness over the day's ingredients. Lynniw ground her teeth.

"Fine. They want an aspic? They'll get an aspic. After all, they're the ones who have to try it." She growled.

"We could do fried calamari rings, on the side? I'm not really comfortable putting turkey dinner and chewy tentacle in the same dish." Dia suggests. Lynnie pauses for a moment, and then nods, bumping her snout against Dia's.

"I can't remember why we were fighting," she admits. Dia shrugs.

"Me neither. Come on. Oh look, that poor Bogsneak looks a lot more relaxed today, maybe she's given up too." She notes, and they say their hellos to Hecate, complimenting her dish.

Then they get down to business. They reduced the green jelly to a liquid, adding just enough tomato juice to taste it, and then they turn to the turkey. They shred a healthy amount of meat from the cooked bird, and roast some asparagus, hard-boiling a few eggs as well. They cut some sweet pimento peppers into strips, and then turn back to the aspic.

They stir in some finely chopped onion, two tablespoons of lemon, two teaspoons of prepared horseradish, and some chopped parsley. Once that's done, they pour a little of it in the bottom of their mold, and start layering in the eggs, asparagus, pimento, and finally, the turkey meat, before pouring the rest of the jelly over it. Once that's done, they pop the whole thing in the fridge to set after its cooled.

That done, Dia takes her knives to the chewy tentacle, dicing it up until it's ready to be fried. Lynnie makes up a dipping sauce, using pureed onion, tomato paste, a bit of horseradish, and finely chopped pimentos. Dia breads the calamari, and they fry it up, until it's golden brown and delicious.

Now all that's left is to wait for the judging!

(Loosely based on this atrocity)
tumblr_inline_p5pm8ilXHR1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm88iMWx1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm853LzI1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8eybiO1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8nrdRq1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8aTwVE1snqxo7_540.png
(Whoops! Two people nudged in before me! Sorry about that... Guess I'm replying to the wrong post)
(Whoops! Two people nudged in before me! Sorry about that... Guess I'm replying to the wrong post)
tumblr_inline_p5pm8ilXHR1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm88iMWx1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm853LzI1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8eybiO1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8nrdRq1snqxo7_540.pngtumblr_inline_p5pm8aTwVE1snqxo7_540.png
@IngeniousSpark

No worries! Since this is for fun rather than a hard and fast rule I'm allowing some leniency to account for the time it takes to write turns. So long as it's not blantatly obvious you're skipping someone (which I can determine based on timestamps) it's still valid.
@IngeniousSpark

No worries! Since this is for fun rather than a hard and fast rule I'm allowing some leniency to account for the time it takes to write turns. So long as it's not blantatly obvious you're skipping someone (which I can determine based on timestamps) it's still valid.
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7173591] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/71736/7173591_350.png[/img] [/url] Most years Chess ended Mistral Meals with a festival platter - last year was a Wind specific challenge and he slightly regretted not ending on his usual celebratory note. This year, he was determined to bring the platter back and luckily these ingredients fit well with it. Well, mostly. Although he had narrowed his focus in this year's competition and tried not to add too many ingredients, his last entry would harken back to his own roots and make sure that dragons could mix and match what they actually wanted to eat. However, he hadn't done much JAM yet in his entries, outside of the first day, so perhaps today he'd add some jam dipping sauces to the plate and tie it all together. [b]Entree: JAMberry Festival Platter[/b] [i]Required Ingredients: [/i] [item=Green Jelly] [item=Turkey Dinner] [item=Chewy Tentacle] [i]Additional Ingredients: [/i] [item=Showman's Arowana] [item=Raspberry] [item=Sunbeam Fig] [item=Pinwheel Paddies] [item=Golden Pepper] [item=Two-Tone June Beetle] [item=Grasshopper] [item=Potash Peach] [item=rolly polly] [item=White Quinoa] Chess studied the ingredients carefully. A platter required careful planning and efficient use of his time. Luckily, the turkey was pre-cooked, so that would save some time on that portion. The green jelly was interesting - it was a savory variety, which was a bit unusual. He also need to make sure there was something for vegetarian dragons and insect eaters. First, the center of his platter would be the Showman's Arowana - cooked whole with herbs and spices to showcase its flavor. Its counterpart would be a lemon jam - a simple mix of lemon, sugar, and salt that would set pretty quickly. Next, he planned his array of snacks and bites for around the fish. The turkey dinner would be repurposed to spiced turkey slices, served with crostini and raspberry preserves. For strict vegetarians, he made a grilled fig bite served on Pinwheel Paddies with honey and golden pepper jelly. Not forgetting the insect eaters, Chess toasted some Two-Tone June Beetles and Grasshoppers and rolled them with peanut butters into little balls, served with a bourbon potash peach jelly. Nearly done, Chess realized he still needed to do something with the green jelly and the chewy tentacles. Deciding they didn't need to go together, Chess grilled the chewy tentacles and made a [url=https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Tomato-and-Green-Apple-Jam]tomato-apple jam[/url] to go with it. Finally, the green jelly... ... ... ... ... He didn't have any more time to think about it. Chess grabbed some rolly pollies, white quinoa, and dryad's saddle mushrooms, then cleaned and cooked them. He then melted the green jelly and poured it into circular molds with one mushroom, one rolly polly, and little grains of quinoa inside. Once it set, he had little green jelly globes with floating bits of food inside - designed to be a one bite food for dragons. The preparations took him nearly all day, and he finished just before the deadline. The array of food and JAMboree on the plate looked festive and tasty, even if the green jelly concoction was a bit dubious. Overall, a nice way to end the competition, he hoped. Chess decided to have some peppermint tea to calm his nerves - perhaps a bite or two of his leftover ingredients that didn't fit on the platter - while he waited for judging. He was a little sad that the competition was over, as he looked forward to it every year, but at least he'd have another year to hone his skills and come back with some new tricks up his sleeve. ~ Chess wandered over to visit with the other contestants now that he had finished. He decided to stop by the two female Guardians nearby first - they appeared to be done with their entry too and were also waiting for the judging. He carried a mini-platter of some of the extras that didn't fit onto his judging plate and offered it to them. "Hello! Dia and Lynnie, right? Care to have a bite to eat while we wait for the final judge to decide our fates?"

7173591_350.png

Most years Chess ended Mistral Meals with a festival platter - last year was a Wind specific challenge and he slightly regretted not ending on his usual celebratory note. This year, he was determined to bring the platter back and luckily these ingredients fit well with it. Well, mostly.

Although he had narrowed his focus in this year's competition and tried not to add too many ingredients, his last entry would harken back to his own roots and make sure that dragons could mix and match what they actually wanted to eat.

However, he hadn't done much JAM yet in his entries, outside of the first day, so perhaps today he'd add some jam dipping sauces to the plate and tie it all together.

Entree: JAMberry Festival Platter

Required Ingredients:
Green Jelly Turkey Dinner Chewy Tentacle

Additional Ingredients:
Showman's Arowana Raspberry Sunbeam Fig Pinwheel Paddies Golden Pepper Two-Tone June Beetle Grasshopper Potash Peach Rolly Polly White Quinoa

Chess studied the ingredients carefully. A platter required careful planning and efficient use of his time. Luckily, the turkey was pre-cooked, so that would save some time on that portion. The green jelly was interesting - it was a savory variety, which was a bit unusual. He also need to make sure there was something for vegetarian dragons and insect eaters.

First, the center of his platter would be the Showman's Arowana - cooked whole with herbs and spices to showcase its flavor. Its counterpart would be a lemon jam - a simple mix of lemon, sugar, and salt that would set pretty quickly.

Next, he planned his array of snacks and bites for around the fish. The turkey dinner would be repurposed to spiced turkey slices, served with crostini and raspberry preserves. For strict vegetarians, he made a grilled fig bite served on Pinwheel Paddies with honey and golden pepper jelly.

Not forgetting the insect eaters, Chess toasted some Two-Tone June Beetles and Grasshoppers and rolled them with peanut butters into little balls, served with a bourbon potash peach jelly.

Nearly done, Chess realized he still needed to do something with the green jelly and the chewy tentacles. Deciding they didn't need to go together, Chess grilled the chewy tentacles and made a tomato-apple jam to go with it. Finally, the green jelly...

He didn't have any more time to think about it. Chess grabbed some rolly pollies, white quinoa, and dryad's saddle mushrooms, then cleaned and cooked them. He then melted the green jelly and poured it into circular molds with one mushroom, one rolly polly, and little grains of quinoa inside. Once it set, he had little green jelly globes with floating bits of food inside - designed to be a one bite food for dragons.

The preparations took him nearly all day, and he finished just before the deadline. The array of food and JAMboree on the plate looked festive and tasty, even if the green jelly concoction was a bit dubious. Overall, a nice way to end the competition, he hoped.

Chess decided to have some peppermint tea to calm his nerves - perhaps a bite or two of his leftover ingredients that didn't fit on the platter - while he waited for judging. He was a little sad that the competition was over, as he looked forward to it every year, but at least he'd have another year to hone his skills and come back with some new tricks up his sleeve.

~

Chess wandered over to visit with the other contestants now that he had finished. He decided to stop by the two female Guardians nearby first - they appeared to be done with their entry too and were also waiting for the judging. He carried a mini-platter of some of the extras that didn't fit onto his judging plate and offered it to them.

"Hello! Dia and Lynnie, right? Care to have a bite to eat while we wait for the final judge to decide our fates?"

OOF HubOOF RaffleArt MarketplaceIn-flight Raffle
[center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=38225245] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/382253/38225245_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] @Deladria ((*throws hands up in the air* What do you know! We had another dragon predict the last day's theme along with ButtsPie!)) Even if he was less than comfortable with the job, Tonraq did not take to having another dragon intrude on his duties, [i]especially[/i] one that wasn't officially affiliated with the contest. Once he and Chess had figured out where the Imperial's entry had gotten to, he'd taken off after Kruda with a yell. Despite being smaller, the Spiral was much faster and wove in and out and around tents to avoid her persuer. Unfortunately for Serenath, the Snapper was working at one of the stations nearer to the edge, and as Kruda scrambled up and over the countertop to reach the thicker patches of bamboo sooner to dissapear into, she knocked the parfaits flying. While Tonraq was still fuming, Gourmet just wanted to bury her face in her claws. How was she supposed to explain to Bloodstone that her own daughter had caused this latest batch of chaos? @IngeniousSpark The foresight to use the dome is a blessing as Serenath's parfaits end up landing right on Dia's dish. But when Tonrag gets around to them the Guardian is able to whip off the messy cover and present pristine products. "I wasn't sure how many would go for the marrow route, but so far those of you who have have shown quite a bit of skill in preparing it." He looked annoyed, but it wasn't at Dia's dish, but rather the fact he hadn't been able to sample the marrow custard that had been worth stealing.

@Deladria

((*throws hands up in the air* What do you know! We had another dragon predict the last day's theme along with ButtsPie!))

Even if he was less than comfortable with the job, Tonraq did not take to having another dragon intrude on his duties, especially one that wasn't officially affiliated with the contest. Once he and Chess had figured out where the Imperial's entry had gotten to, he'd taken off after Kruda with a yell.

Despite being smaller, the Spiral was much faster and wove in and out and around tents to avoid her persuer. Unfortunately for Serenath, the Snapper was working at one of the stations nearer to the edge, and as Kruda scrambled up and over the countertop to reach the thicker patches of bamboo sooner to dissapear into, she knocked the parfaits flying.

While Tonraq was still fuming, Gourmet just wanted to bury her face in her claws. How was she supposed to explain to Bloodstone that her own daughter had caused this latest batch of chaos?

@IngeniousSpark

The foresight to use the dome is a blessing as Serenath's parfaits end up landing right on Dia's dish. But when Tonrag gets around to them the Guardian is able to whip off the messy cover and present pristine products.

"I wasn't sure how many would go for the marrow route, but so far those of you who have have shown quite a bit of skill in preparing it." He looked annoyed, but it wasn't at Dia's dish, but rather the fact he hadn't been able to sample the marrow custard that had been worth stealing.
(Hey it takes skill to get a critical fail :p super mad skills here haha) [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13915527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/139156/13915527_350.png[/img] [/url] Orange eyes narrowed and iridescent lips quivered in the beginnings of a snarl before Rokoshi stopped himself short, it wasn't worth it and settled for an angry snort that made his nostrils flare instead. He had worked so hard and to be dismissed so easily was insulting. He could do better, he needed to do better. All of the animal protein had caused him to become ill or perhaps something hadn't cooked right in the udon soup and had left him to ill shortly after finishing. Today was a new day and he was feeling better, it was going to be good day. Rokoshi tried desperately to climg to this positive frame of mind when the ingredients were revealed but felt it dissolve like the jello they were given. A wave of nausea swept over him and he tried to keep from making a face. [I]What another interesting selection[/i] he thought and wished now he had brought help. Roko stared stupidly at the display, probably longer than he should have and few ideas for his contemplation. Frustrated the Fire born dragon pushed himself to his feet and decided to wander around and see if that would spark a few ideas. The Pearlcatcher wandered over to a big male Imperial bustling about. He liked the idea of adding fruits for a slightly different texture than the jello and make a fruity pairing. The elborate platter was an ambitious idea and he was curious if there would be enough time to perfect each element.[b] "Looks great sir"[/b] he said after clearing his throat before he left. The Imp's more fruity flavored approach had sparked an idea and now he was ready to go. Roko set about gathering his ingredients including: mallard, and, hooded hen in addition to the to [b]turkey dinner[/b]. He grabbed some raspberries, honeycrisp apples, sunbeam figs, and potash peaches. Satisfied he grabbed the last 2 things, [b]chewy tentacles[/b] and [b]green jelly [/b]. The Pearlcatcher began to cut the meats and fruits. The fruits he threw together and let them reduce, checking often to see if it was ready and adding mint, basil, and rosemary to help keep the balance between sweey and savory. He melted down the jello and mixed in the juice and fruit bits from his reduction. He poured the gelatin into a mold and added his cooked meats and a few bits of fresh, unreduced fruit for more texture. In the fridge to set it went. The chewy tentacles he fried in a thick breading. He crumbled up his calamari and applied it to the outside of his savory jelly for a salty crunch. He was now ready for judging. (Ninjad while writing, editted to fit imp post)
(Hey it takes skill to get a critical fail :p super mad skills here haha)

13915527_350.png

Orange eyes narrowed and iridescent lips quivered in the beginnings of a snarl before Rokoshi stopped himself short, it wasn't worth it and settled for an angry snort that made his nostrils flare instead. He had worked so hard and to be dismissed so easily was insulting. He could do better, he needed to do better. All of the animal protein had caused him to become ill or perhaps something hadn't cooked right in the udon soup and had left him to ill shortly after finishing.

Today was a new day and he was feeling better, it was going to be good day. Rokoshi tried desperately to climg to this positive frame of mind when the ingredients were revealed but felt it dissolve like the jello they were given. A wave of nausea swept over him and he tried to keep from making a face. What another interesting selection he thought and wished now he had brought help. Roko stared stupidly at the display, probably longer than he should have and few ideas for his contemplation. Frustrated the Fire born dragon pushed himself to his feet and decided to wander around and see if that would spark a few ideas.

The Pearlcatcher wandered over to a big male Imperial bustling about. He liked the idea of adding fruits for a slightly different texture than the jello and make a fruity pairing. The elborate platter was an ambitious idea and he was curious if there would be enough time to perfect each element. "Looks great sir" he said after clearing his throat before he left. The Imp's more fruity flavored approach had sparked an idea and now he was ready to go.

Roko set about gathering his ingredients including: mallard, and, hooded hen in addition to the to turkey dinner. He grabbed some raspberries, honeycrisp apples, sunbeam figs, and potash peaches. Satisfied he grabbed the last 2 things, chewy tentacles and green jelly .

The Pearlcatcher began to cut the meats and fruits. The fruits he threw together and let them reduce, checking often to see if it was ready and adding mint, basil, and rosemary to help keep the balance between sweey and savory. He melted down the jello and mixed in the juice and fruit bits from his reduction. He poured the gelatin into a mold and added his cooked meats and a few bits of fresh, unreduced fruit for more texture. In the fridge to set it went. The chewy tentacles he fried in a thick breading. He crumbled up his calamari and applied it to the outside of his savory jelly for a salty crunch. He was now ready for judging.

(Ninjad while writing, editted to fit imp post)
tXKbExw.pngCinnamonThief
[item=Green Jelly][item=Turkey Dinner][item=Chewy Tentacle] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22204122] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/222042/22204122_350.png[/img] [/url] “Okay, so maybe we’re not psychic. But we did use turkey dinner before!” [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=28619109] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/286192/28619109_350.png[/img] [/url] Seraphin rolled her eyes but smiled. “Guess I don’t owe you a million treasure, then.” “Yeah, yeah. So what are we making today?” “Well, it’s our last day, so why don’t we make a few different things?” “I guess. So what?” “Well, we could make jelly tarts for desert, sushi with the chewy tentacles, and colaches with cheese and the turkey?” “A what with the turkey?” “A colache? I don’t know, look it up.” And contrary to literally everyone’s expectations, Indie did. “They don’t actually call them that, if they’re filled with meat.” “Whatever, I don’t care what they’re called! Meat and cheese filled savory pastries!” “Okay, boss.” ------------------------------- Seraphin started with the pastry shells for the tarts, then added the jelly later and set them to cook in the oven. Indie started prep for the sushi, making some rice and laying a rolling bamboo sheet. [item=Giant Kelp] She got out a large giant kelp frond for the outside, and thinly sliced some carrots and other veggies for the filling. She also cut up the chewy tentacle to add as well. She laid it out in the kelp, rolled it, then sliced the roll into slices. While she was preparing it, she chatted. “You see that hunk of an Imperial over there?” Indie pointed. Seraphin tried to ignore her, but it was impossible. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=7173591] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/71736/7173591_350.png[/img] [/url] “Chess, you mean?” “He’s making a whole freaking platter! By himself! Do you ever question why we’re here?” “No.” [i]Only every FREAKING day. Mostly because of the amount of time spent with Indie. [/i] “He’s like an actual freaking professional chef. You think he’d give us any pointers?” “Maybe.” “I should ask him.” “You should.” [i]Now, preferably. [/i] “Maybe later. Think he’d share? That’s all looking pretty good.” “Why don’t we focus on our dish, first?” “I just finished the sushi, what you want for nothing?” And she had. Seraphin sighed. Indie was a coatl of many talents. Being annoying only one of them. -------------------------------- They started on the colaches, ahem, meat and cheese filled savory pastries together—Seraphin prepping the dough, and Indie the turkey and cheese, and then they set them to bake. While they were waiting, Serpahin turned to watch the competition. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=13915527] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/139156/13915527_350.png[/img] [/url] “Hey, isn’t that Rokoshi?” Seraphin wondered, watching the pearlcatcher chatting with Chess. Indie looked up and giggled. “If you mean that pearlcatcher Bloodstone totally roasted the other day, you’re totally right. I thought he was going to pop a blood vessel. He was [i]soooooooo[/i] mad. He—” Seraphin punched Indie. And not nicely. “Hey! What was that for?” Indie looked scandalized. “Be nice. It’s not like we’ve done all that great either. And he seems nice.” “You seemed nice too. Looks can be deceiving.” Seraphin glowered at Indie, threatening to punch her again with her eyes. --------------------------------------------------- What was Rokoshi making? It looked amazing. “That looks amazing. Think real shy over there would have some extra calamari to spare?” Indie made a big deal of sniffing the air. “I’m sure Rokoshi doesn’t share with barbarians.” “He probably doesn’t share with bossy skydancers either.” Indie stuck out her tongue. Seraphin ignored her and started plating the dishes, and Indie was quick to follow. ---------------------------------------- “Well, this competition I learned that pretty much everyone else is a better chef than I am.” Indie mock sighed. “Oh, well. Never said I was much for cooking.” Seraphin sighed, but out of genuine disappointment. She wasn’t a master chef or anything, but this had been fun. She would miss it, miss the competition, miss the challenge, the competition, the thrill, she’d even miss— “You gonna miss me?” Indie teased, bumping her shoulder against Seraphin. “Not a chance.” But Seraphin grinned, and Indie grinned back. Some friendships were stranger than others.
Green Jelly Turkey Dinner Chewy Tentacle

22204122_350.png

“Okay, so maybe we’re not psychic. But we did use turkey dinner before!”

28619109_350.png

Seraphin rolled her eyes but smiled. “Guess I don’t owe you a million treasure, then.”
“Yeah, yeah. So what are we making today?”
“Well, it’s our last day, so why don’t we make a few different things?”
“I guess. So what?”
“Well, we could make jelly tarts for desert, sushi with the chewy tentacles, and colaches with cheese and the turkey?”
“A what with the turkey?”
“A colache? I don’t know, look it up.” And contrary to literally everyone’s expectations, Indie did.
“They don’t actually call them that, if they’re filled with meat.”
“Whatever, I don’t care what they’re called! Meat and cheese filled savory pastries!”
“Okay, boss.”
Seraphin started with the pastry shells for the tarts, then added the jelly later and set them to cook in the oven.
Indie started prep for the sushi, making some rice and laying a rolling bamboo sheet.
Giant Kelp
She got out a large giant kelp frond for the outside, and thinly sliced some carrots and other veggies for the filling. She also cut up the chewy tentacle to add as well. She laid it out in the kelp, rolled it, then sliced the roll into slices. While she was preparing it, she chatted.
“You see that hunk of an Imperial over there?” Indie pointed. Seraphin tried to ignore her, but it was impossible.

7173591_350.png

“Chess, you mean?”
“He’s making a whole freaking platter! By himself! Do you ever question why we’re here?”
“No.” Only every FREAKING day. Mostly because of the amount of time spent with Indie.
“He’s like an actual freaking professional chef. You think he’d give us any pointers?”
“Maybe.”
“I should ask him.”
“You should.” Now, preferably.
“Maybe later. Think he’d share? That’s all looking pretty good.”
“Why don’t we focus on our dish, first?”
“I just finished the sushi, what you want for nothing?” And she had. Seraphin sighed. Indie was a coatl of many talents. Being annoying only one of them.
They started on the colaches, ahem, meat and cheese filled savory pastries together—Seraphin prepping the dough, and Indie the turkey and cheese, and then they set them to bake. While they were waiting, Serpahin turned to watch the competition.

13915527_350.png

“Hey, isn’t that Rokoshi?” Seraphin wondered, watching the pearlcatcher chatting with Chess. Indie looked up and giggled.
“If you mean that pearlcatcher Bloodstone totally roasted the other day, you’re totally right. I thought he was going to pop a blood vessel. He was soooooooo mad. He—”
Seraphin punched Indie. And not nicely.
“Hey! What was that for?” Indie looked scandalized.
“Be nice. It’s not like we’ve done all that great either. And he seems nice.”
“You seemed nice too. Looks can be deceiving.” Seraphin glowered at Indie, threatening to punch her again with her eyes.
What was Rokoshi making? It looked amazing.
“That looks amazing. Think real shy over there would have some extra calamari to spare?” Indie made a big deal of sniffing the air.
“I’m sure Rokoshi doesn’t share with barbarians.”
“He probably doesn’t share with bossy skydancers either.” Indie stuck out her tongue. Seraphin ignored her and started plating the dishes, and Indie was quick to follow.
“Well, this competition I learned that pretty much everyone else is a better chef than I am.” Indie mock sighed. “Oh, well. Never said I was much for cooking.”
Seraphin sighed, but out of genuine disappointment. She wasn’t a master chef or anything, but this had been fun. She would miss it, miss the competition, miss the challenge, the competition, the thrill, she’d even miss—
“You gonna miss me?” Indie teased, bumping her shoulder against Seraphin.
“Not a chance.” But Seraphin grinned, and Indie grinned back.
Some friendships were stranger than others.
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22