Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | The new or the old Lion King?
1 2 3 4
Hello! I was just wondering if the new Lion King or the Old Lion King was better? Thanks :)
Hello! I was just wondering if the new Lion King or the Old Lion King was better? Thanks :)
The original. The characters are much more expressive than in the new CGI version. Basically my stance is this- watch the original and if you want to see the movie in hyper-realistic graphics, watch the new one too.
The original. The characters are much more expressive than in the new CGI version. Basically my stance is this- watch the original and if you want to see the movie in hyper-realistic graphics, watch the new one too.
Waystone1.gif
I've not even watched the live-action version, but I know the original is better. You just don't stack up against good old-fashioned 2-D animation.
I've not even watched the live-action version, but I know the original is better. You just don't stack up against good old-fashioned 2-D animation.
9iqeDz7.png
The original, yeah. I just prefer expressive and stylized over realistic. I don't think CGI in itself is the problem, because there are thankfully more and more movies coming out with really great stylized CGI.
The original, yeah. I just prefer expressive and stylized over realistic. I don't think CGI in itself is the problem, because there are thankfully more and more movies coming out with really great stylized CGI.
9mjyPzr.png
rowan they/them
certified cryptid™
I like the kimba the white lion version witch is the actual original lol
I like the kimba the white lion version witch is the actual original lol
I love them both. I know that the main complaint about the remake is that the animals weren’t “expressive” enough, which I understand- but that’s what I wanted to see. I wanted to see a version where the animals look utterly real, and the live-action version accomplished that. We have the cartoon for the bold and entertaining facial expressions, which add to the visual impact but aren’t really fitting on real animals.

The remake was breathtakingly beautiful and incorporated elements of the Broadway musical/Lebo M.’s music that wasn’t included in the original, which I really enjoyed, as it added a more distinctly African element to the score. It also gave more prominence to characters such as Sarabi, included interesting scenes that the original left out, such as Nala’s escape, and incorporated more of the sounds of African in the animals and Rafiki’s lines. The voice cast was also very talented and I appreciate that the remake featured more voice actors of African descent. Ultimately, I think original was fun, bright, emotional, and definitely a permanent favorite of mine, but I found the live-action version serene, stunning, and closer to its rich and majestic setting of Africa.
I love them both. I know that the main complaint about the remake is that the animals weren’t “expressive” enough, which I understand- but that’s what I wanted to see. I wanted to see a version where the animals look utterly real, and the live-action version accomplished that. We have the cartoon for the bold and entertaining facial expressions, which add to the visual impact but aren’t really fitting on real animals.

The remake was breathtakingly beautiful and incorporated elements of the Broadway musical/Lebo M.’s music that wasn’t included in the original, which I really enjoyed, as it added a more distinctly African element to the score. It also gave more prominence to characters such as Sarabi, included interesting scenes that the original left out, such as Nala’s escape, and incorporated more of the sounds of African in the animals and Rafiki’s lines. The voice cast was also very talented and I appreciate that the remake featured more voice actors of African descent. Ultimately, I think original was fun, bright, emotional, and definitely a permanent favorite of mine, but I found the live-action version serene, stunning, and closer to its rich and majestic setting of Africa.
iuEBSJ3.png
Fnrx3wS.png
gYW0j5f.png
ARAxlYW.png
Ravi-Resized.png
i haven't seen the remake but i have a feeling i'm gonna prefer that one. i'm an outlier here but i never liked the animation style or the character designs in the original lion king. they looked too doofy to me, and it distracted me from what i thought was otherwise a good movie with a good story. so i'm looking forward to going to see the remake where the characters don't look downright silly.

i agree that the characters aren't very "expressive" but that's like. not the point. the characters in the remake of the jungle book weren't very expressive either but i appreciated that. i liked that it was taking itself more seriously than the original and delivered a more compelling story that was easier to take...well, seriously.

the original cartoons are a good fun time but they're not what i personally prefer in a movie.
i haven't seen the remake but i have a feeling i'm gonna prefer that one. i'm an outlier here but i never liked the animation style or the character designs in the original lion king. they looked too doofy to me, and it distracted me from what i thought was otherwise a good movie with a good story. so i'm looking forward to going to see the remake where the characters don't look downright silly.

i agree that the characters aren't very "expressive" but that's like. not the point. the characters in the remake of the jungle book weren't very expressive either but i appreciated that. i liked that it was taking itself more seriously than the original and delivered a more compelling story that was easier to take...well, seriously.

the original cartoons are a good fun time but they're not what i personally prefer in a movie.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
Well...I haven’t seen the remake yet, but I will eventually. Animation style is pretty important to me though, and it’s already let me down a little. It doesn’t look awful, but it’s less expressive and less fun. That’s just my personal opinion though.

I know I’ll always prefer the original. But I also think the Broadway show is really really amazing, and a great “live action” adaptation! I wish theater was more accessible so that more people could see it if they wanted to. I could never pick a favorite between the original film and the musical, they’re both amazing. When they first announced a live action version, I was kind of hoping it would be based on the musical with actors in costume.
Well...I haven’t seen the remake yet, but I will eventually. Animation style is pretty important to me though, and it’s already let me down a little. It doesn’t look awful, but it’s less expressive and less fun. That’s just my personal opinion though.

I know I’ll always prefer the original. But I also think the Broadway show is really really amazing, and a great “live action” adaptation! I wish theater was more accessible so that more people could see it if they wanted to. I could never pick a favorite between the original film and the musical, they’re both amazing. When they first announced a live action version, I was kind of hoping it would be based on the musical with actors in costume.
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
Nothing can ever replace the original in my heart
Nothing can ever replace the original in my heart
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
the recap x100000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bge_9DsoMWI