Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Looking for good books?
1 2 3 4 5 6
Hey! :D It's my birthday month, and what's that mean? Reading a TON of good books. I'm recently finishing up The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas and considering reading Scythe, but what are some of your favorites?

I really enjoy fantasy, above all things. Magic and dragons is my forte. XD

I'm also looking for a book that absolutely terrifies me. As in, goose-bump raising, heart pounding, trembling, BRING IT ON! I would absolutely adore horror book recommendations. The scarier, the better.
And adventure / action. It just draws you in, y'know?

I'd love to hear your favorites and maybe some recommendations!
Hey! :D It's my birthday month, and what's that mean? Reading a TON of good books. I'm recently finishing up The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas and considering reading Scythe, but what are some of your favorites?

I really enjoy fantasy, above all things. Magic and dragons is my forte. XD

I'm also looking for a book that absolutely terrifies me. As in, goose-bump raising, heart pounding, trembling, BRING IT ON! I would absolutely adore horror book recommendations. The scarier, the better.
And adventure / action. It just draws you in, y'know?

I'd love to hear your favorites and maybe some recommendations!
1391_350px_rainforest_by_miirshroom-dbvjs1a.png
@Rainforest

Well, this doesn't have magic or dragons, but it's a super good fantasy series! It's labeled for middleschoolers, but honestly half the readers are highschool. XD Anyways:

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger, my favorite book series ever. Seriously give it a try, has no swearing and is soooooooooo good, sixth book is coming out this year and the seventh is next year. :D A plus is that the author is very active with her readers, and is always hosting fun giveaways!

Among other fantasy books: the Muirwood series, Lord of the Rings series, A Shadow Bright and Burning (second book is coming out this year!), Harry Potter, A Kingdom of Ash and Briars, Dormia series, Inkheart series, and I think that's all for fantasy!

Dystopian books (dunno if you like them, but I'll suggest anyways because they're some of my favorite series!): Legend series, Hunger Games series, Red Queen series, and Wolf by Wolf (second book is Blood for Blood, only two books).

And then if you're interested at all in animal books (I know they're not for everyone, but hey, I'm throwing names out here for you XD): Mistmantle Chronicles (series), WaterShip Down, Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, and White Fang.

Don't know if you have read any of those, but I do hope I've suggested at least one that'll pique your interest. :D I had to take two trips to my bookshelf to remember all the names. XD

Edit: Happy birthday, whether it's late or early! (lol)
@Rainforest

Well, this doesn't have magic or dragons, but it's a super good fantasy series! It's labeled for middleschoolers, but honestly half the readers are highschool. XD Anyways:

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger, my favorite book series ever. Seriously give it a try, has no swearing and is soooooooooo good, sixth book is coming out this year and the seventh is next year. :D A plus is that the author is very active with her readers, and is always hosting fun giveaways!

Among other fantasy books: the Muirwood series, Lord of the Rings series, A Shadow Bright and Burning (second book is coming out this year!), Harry Potter, A Kingdom of Ash and Briars, Dormia series, Inkheart series, and I think that's all for fantasy!

Dystopian books (dunno if you like them, but I'll suggest anyways because they're some of my favorite series!): Legend series, Hunger Games series, Red Queen series, and Wolf by Wolf (second book is Blood for Blood, only two books).

And then if you're interested at all in animal books (I know they're not for everyone, but hey, I'm throwing names out here for you XD): Mistmantle Chronicles (series), WaterShip Down, Call of the Wild, Black Beauty, and White Fang.

Don't know if you have read any of those, but I do hope I've suggested at least one that'll pique your interest. :D I had to take two trips to my bookshelf to remember all the names. XD

Edit: Happy birthday, whether it's late or early! (lol)
x8z3xmt.pngFor God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16
@Rainforest

*cracks knuckles*

WELL, time to suggest what i always do for these threads.

Patrick Ness is my all-time favorite author and you should read his books. Especially A Monster Calls. And the Chaos Walking trilogy. And More Than This. Just. ALL OF THEM.

A Monster Calls makes me sob like a baby every single time, and I rarely cry... the movie was galkjdhflkahdf soo good too... word-for-word accuracy (but as usual, book is better) It's super short and will take just a few hours to read.

The Chaos Walking trilogy is more of a sci-fi, but really intense at some points. So, so good. the ending is so good because it's so PAINFUL

Neil Gaiman is one of my faves too, American Gods, Coraline, and Good Omens are my favorites by him.
@Rainforest

*cracks knuckles*

WELL, time to suggest what i always do for these threads.

Patrick Ness is my all-time favorite author and you should read his books. Especially A Monster Calls. And the Chaos Walking trilogy. And More Than This. Just. ALL OF THEM.

A Monster Calls makes me sob like a baby every single time, and I rarely cry... the movie was galkjdhflkahdf soo good too... word-for-word accuracy (but as usual, book is better) It's super short and will take just a few hours to read.

The Chaos Walking trilogy is more of a sci-fi, but really intense at some points. So, so good. the ending is so good because it's so PAINFUL

Neil Gaiman is one of my faves too, American Gods, Coraline, and Good Omens are my favorites by him.
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
@Rainforest

Happy almost birthday!

Here are some of my favourite books/trilogy
Can't really think of much else atm because these are one's I most recently read.
@Rainforest

Happy almost birthday!

Here are some of my favourite books/trilogy
Can't really think of much else atm because these are one's I most recently read.
yGResdm.gif
@MorningSkye - I'll be checking out Watership down for certain! And Keeper of the Lost Cities sounds positively amazing. Thank you!!

@quincely - What's A Monster Calls about? And thanks!

@thesmallestshark - The Stand sounds fun! I love Stephen! And the Grisha series... <3
@MorningSkye - I'll be checking out Watership down for certain! And Keeper of the Lost Cities sounds positively amazing. Thank you!!

@quincely - What's A Monster Calls about? And thanks!

@thesmallestshark - The Stand sounds fun! I love Stephen! And the Grisha series... <3
@Rainforest It's... a hard book to describe tbh. The short: a boy accidentally summons a monster to help him deal with the loss of his mother to cancer. It sounds... bad... but it's so beautifully written ;n; the monster tells him 3 stories throughout the book, each one has a lesson. Everyone can probably relate to at least one of the stories... It's based on an idea by a woman named Siobhan Dowd, who died (surprise, of cancer) before she could write it. It's heavily hinted she wrote it for her family. the illustrations are also incredible[img]http://www.clickonline.com/images/content/2016/195/large/17351352.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.cultjer.com/img/ug_photo/2016_09/80412320160916045818.jpg[/img] I've read it... 4 times now? Each time I ugly sob at the end. I don't like ""sappy"" books and tend to read gory, creepy, violent fantasy/sci-fi (think Stephen King) but this is 100% my All Time Favorite book
@Rainforest

It's... a hard book to describe tbh.

The short: a boy accidentally summons a monster to help him deal with the loss of his mother to cancer.

It sounds... bad... but it's so beautifully written ;n; the monster tells him 3 stories throughout the book, each one has a lesson. Everyone can probably relate to at least one of the stories...

It's based on an idea by a woman named Siobhan Dowd, who died (surprise, of cancer) before she could write it. It's heavily hinted she wrote it for her family.

the illustrations are also incredible17351352.jpg 80412320160916045818.jpg

I've read it... 4 times now? Each time I ugly sob at the end. I don't like ""sappy"" books and tend to read gory, creepy, violent fantasy/sci-fi (think Stephen King) but this is 100% my All Time Favorite book
16453.png16479.png16477.png16454.png
NOTE: my username is quinceLy, not quincy/quincey --- den/lair cleanout!!
Here are my personal favourite books, along with some basic descriptions :3

Wings of Fire, by Tui Sutherland-
basically a standard fantasy series, except with dragons as the main characters and humans as more of an irrelevant mention. The dragons are sorted into seven different 'tribes'- MudWing, SandWing, SeaWing, SkyWing, IceWing, RainWing, NightWing- with slightly different appearances and abilities. The book is full of action, the characters are extremely relatable, and I highly recommend it if you like fantasy or dragons.

Warriors, by Erin Hunter-
You've most likely heard of this one, but I'll describe it anyway. Basically it's a fantasy series about cats living in four clans in a forest. It mostly follows the story of one clan, ThunderClan, as they face various threats, often including the other three clans.

Survivors, by Erin Hunter-
Basically Warriors, but with dogs instead of cats. I actually prefer Survivors to Warriors, because characters don't die in literally every book of Survivors. Basically Survivors focuses on a single pack of dogs struggling with various dangers. The characters can get a bit confusing sometimes, but the plot really drew me in.

Spirit Animals, by... a lot of different authors actually lol (I can't name the specific ones as I don't have all the books with me right now)-
The only books I like that have human main characters. The basic idea is that the main protagonists are bonded with a 'spirit animal', a form of companion or counterpart. The story follows the protagonists as they try to stop the 'Conquerors', a mysterious group of people who've discovered a substance that can force an animal to bond with them.

Those are just my suggestions. ^-^ enjoy
Here are my personal favourite books, along with some basic descriptions :3

Wings of Fire, by Tui Sutherland-
basically a standard fantasy series, except with dragons as the main characters and humans as more of an irrelevant mention. The dragons are sorted into seven different 'tribes'- MudWing, SandWing, SeaWing, SkyWing, IceWing, RainWing, NightWing- with slightly different appearances and abilities. The book is full of action, the characters are extremely relatable, and I highly recommend it if you like fantasy or dragons.

Warriors, by Erin Hunter-
You've most likely heard of this one, but I'll describe it anyway. Basically it's a fantasy series about cats living in four clans in a forest. It mostly follows the story of one clan, ThunderClan, as they face various threats, often including the other three clans.

Survivors, by Erin Hunter-
Basically Warriors, but with dogs instead of cats. I actually prefer Survivors to Warriors, because characters don't die in literally every book of Survivors. Basically Survivors focuses on a single pack of dogs struggling with various dangers. The characters can get a bit confusing sometimes, but the plot really drew me in.

Spirit Animals, by... a lot of different authors actually lol (I can't name the specific ones as I don't have all the books with me right now)-
The only books I like that have human main characters. The basic idea is that the main protagonists are bonded with a 'spirit animal', a form of companion or counterpart. The story follows the protagonists as they try to stop the 'Conquerors', a mysterious group of people who've discovered a substance that can force an animal to bond with them.

Those are just my suggestions. ^-^ enjoy
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
A Song of Ice and Fire (the series) has magic and dragons enough for anyone :)

A Song of Ice and Fire (the series) has magic and dragons enough for anyone :)

praise_1.png
@Rainforet
I don't read much but Silverwing is AMAZING It follows a bat on its migration south and adventure ensues. Its seriously great. There was even a cartoon made from it, though, the cartoon is much more cartoony than the book.
@Rainforet
I don't read much but Silverwing is AMAZING It follows a bat on its migration south and adventure ensues. Its seriously great. There was even a cartoon made from it, though, the cartoon is much more cartoony than the book.
I have an etsy shop, check it out https://www.etsy.com/shop/PokuPokuStudio
@poochyenarulez - I have that series!!! Haven't read it yet, ahaha.
@poochyenarulez - I have that series!!! Haven't read it yet, ahaha.
1 2 3 4 5 6