Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | weird stimming
1 2
i'm the typical anxious/on the spectrum type of person n i have so many weird stims
-tapping (kinda normal?)
-eating food organized (i'll only eat one type of food at a time)
-skin picking
-rubbing skin so dead skin rubs off?? idk how to describe
-moving food into geometric/shapes
-leg tapping rapidly
what are some of y'alls uncommon stims m curious
i'm the typical anxious/on the spectrum type of person n i have so many weird stims
-tapping (kinda normal?)
-skin picking
-rubbing skin so dead skin rubs off?? idk how to describe
-moving food into geometric/shapes
-leg tapping rapidly
what are some of y'alls uncommon stims m curious
kZNkree.png » tumblr
» slow to reply sometimes, don't hesitate to re-ping/pm
» pixel by
@witchcrafted
I'm not a big stimmer. I mostly engage in vocal stims, which I didn't know were stims until recently. I sing songs that are stuck in my head or make nonsense noises. I just like to make noise and hear my own voice. When I'm at work and expected to be quiet, I wait to do vocal stims when I'm in an elevator or bathroom by myself. Lol.

I also only eat one food at a time (I hate mixed food), but that's more a sensory thing for me than a stim. I skin pick, too, but I don't think that's all that uncommon, and it's also combined with my OCD.
@witchcrafted
I'm not a big stimmer. I mostly engage in vocal stims, which I didn't know were stims until recently. I sing songs that are stuck in my head or make nonsense noises. I just like to make noise and hear my own voice. When I'm at work and expected to be quiet, I wait to do vocal stims when I'm in an elevator or bathroom by myself. Lol.

I also only eat one food at a time (I hate mixed food), but that's more a sensory thing for me than a stim. I skin pick, too, but I don't think that's all that uncommon, and it's also combined with my OCD.
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
Not sure if I can count these??

But when I eat Hershey kisses I fold the foils into triangles... If I can't do that because the foil rips/ or is already messed up past the point of saving/ they experience is ruined. I started the habit during a bad string of months recently and it kinda stuck, something about simply smoothing and folding the foils was calming? Centering because I would put focus into not ripping it, then into folding it as nicely as possible.

If I'm standing still and I stay in one place for awhile while feeling anxious I'll tap my shoe's toe on the floor... Like, a quick tap, rest my foot, then another tap. I don't do it often, because I'm sure people see it and think I'm odd, and thinking about stuff like that makes it worse.... But I don't really get out much anymore, so it isn't a big thing anymore. Even then I mostly moved around though, or had something to distract from the nerves. (read: another person I could attach to). If I feel comfortable somewhere I'm not likely to do it as I've "settled" into the place more or less.

I'll also rub my thumb against my ring finger if I'm nervous and my hands are free. Or if I'm just idly standing around or bored I'll do it. I don't put any pressure on it, just a slight rubbing on the side and bottom. I'll sometimes "scratch" with my nail... And it isn't the same if I do it on other fingers...?
Not sure if I can count these??

But when I eat Hershey kisses I fold the foils into triangles... If I can't do that because the foil rips/ or is already messed up past the point of saving/ they experience is ruined. I started the habit during a bad string of months recently and it kinda stuck, something about simply smoothing and folding the foils was calming? Centering because I would put focus into not ripping it, then into folding it as nicely as possible.

If I'm standing still and I stay in one place for awhile while feeling anxious I'll tap my shoe's toe on the floor... Like, a quick tap, rest my foot, then another tap. I don't do it often, because I'm sure people see it and think I'm odd, and thinking about stuff like that makes it worse.... But I don't really get out much anymore, so it isn't a big thing anymore. Even then I mostly moved around though, or had something to distract from the nerves. (read: another person I could attach to). If I feel comfortable somewhere I'm not likely to do it as I've "settled" into the place more or less.

I'll also rub my thumb against my ring finger if I'm nervous and my hands are free. Or if I'm just idly standing around or bored I'll do it. I don't put any pressure on it, just a slight rubbing on the side and bottom. I'll sometimes "scratch" with my nail... And it isn't the same if I do it on other fingers...?
tumblr_inline_nzzpbdkauA1tgoz4u_500.gif
[quote name="witchcrafted" date=2017-03-19 22:10:44] -eating food organized (i'll only eat one type of food at a time) [/quote] omG?? I'm not alone?? holy shit, you're the first person I meet that also has this stim, that's amazing! My dad always says I'm weird for doing this :'X but now I know other people do this too! On topic, some of my "uncommon" stims are pacing+monologuing, and picking/scratching my eczema so it becomes thicker and worse (sorry if it sounds gross D': but it's really satisfying for some reason?) I think that's it? I don't have a lot of stims, but the ones I have are quite present :'O
witchcrafted wrote on 2017-03-19:

omG?? I'm not alone?? holy ****, you're the first person I meet that also has this stim, that's amazing!
My dad always says I'm weird for doing this :'X but now I know other people do this too!

On topic, some of my "uncommon" stims are pacing+monologuing, and picking/scratching my eczema so it becomes thicker and worse (sorry if it sounds gross D': but it's really satisfying for some reason?)
I think that's it? I don't have a lot of stims, but the ones I have are quite present :'O
Renard(e) || Pronouns; iel or they
Host of the Fireworks Median system
FR Time +3 || French and English speaker || 25+
- Current hyperfixation : Saint Seiya -
(Autistic, so I'm super sorry if I say weird things at times!)
O_o Those aren't all that weird. I've seen plenty of people do those, except for the one food at a time thing. I mean, I do all those and I'm not on the spectrum lol.
O_o Those aren't all that weird. I've seen plenty of people do those, except for the one food at a time thing. I mean, I do all those and I'm not on the spectrum lol.
Tell me your desire
while you pull me from the fire
and we'll seal the deal with a kiss
I sway side to side when I'm standing in one place. My dad does it too. Everyone says it comes from having kids, but I've never had any and don't even want to. It's just uncomfortable to put weight on both of my feet at once, I guess.
I sway side to side when I'm standing in one place. My dad does it too. Everyone says it comes from having kids, but I've never had any and don't even want to. It's just uncomfortable to put weight on both of my feet at once, I guess.
tumblr_o23mwcXPEZ1u3wsjco6_250.png 4f4c01ec3fcd06d45834f28097a7fb2be50dc3cf.png dEo6ta2.png
nbZE1po.png
5iXiC8z.png
V7wUqxW.png
bYt72YT.png
jbMLSIO.png

nGKuPIQ.gif
I pick at the skin around my nails, which is also a different thing but it is a stim for me
Pimple popping
Feeling my eyelashes as a texture stim (I used to pick at them, now it's just feeling them)
I pick at the skin around my nails, which is also a different thing but it is a stim for me
Pimple popping
Feeling my eyelashes as a texture stim (I used to pick at them, now it's just feeling them)
28932619_ol7.gif ...
tyrian | she/her | +3
tumblr | toyhouse | fandragons
I dunno if it's really a stim but I tend to keep a tiny bit of liquid in my mouth whenever I'm drinking something? Like I'll take a drink, swallow most of it, but leave a little cupped in my tongue for some time. sometimes just a few seconds, sometimes way longer. More likely to do with cold liquids than hot, lol.

I shake my watch back down into place constantly, even when I'm not wearing it. like a short little couple flicks of my wrist

I really try not to skin pick because it's important at work that I not have little scabs everywhere, but I still do it.
I dunno if it's really a stim but I tend to keep a tiny bit of liquid in my mouth whenever I'm drinking something? Like I'll take a drink, swallow most of it, but leave a little cupped in my tongue for some time. sometimes just a few seconds, sometimes way longer. More likely to do with cold liquids than hot, lol.

I shake my watch back down into place constantly, even when I'm not wearing it. like a short little couple flicks of my wrist

I really try not to skin pick because it's important at work that I not have little scabs everywhere, but I still do it.
snow_scarf.gifdeepsea_sword.pngice_bibling_by_cicide76536-dciw58p.gifdeepsea_scarf.pngnight_ribbon.png
@witchcrafted

Eyyy I do the skin rubbing thing too!

I'm not quite sure how common or uncommon my other stims are but I bite my knuckles and the tiny bit of webbed (is that the right word??) flesh between my thumbs and pointer fingers a lot when I'm distressed or just need to focus, and I also like sucking on locks of my hair.
@witchcrafted

Eyyy I do the skin rubbing thing too!

I'm not quite sure how common or uncommon my other stims are but I bite my knuckles and the tiny bit of webbed (is that the right word??) flesh between my thumbs and pointer fingers a lot when I'm distressed or just need to focus, and I also like sucking on locks of my hair.
(They/Them) (FR + 2)

~*Art Shop*~
I'm not on the spectrum, but when I'm anxious I'll pick at my fingernails, roll my shoulders, and bounce my leg (I'm not quite sure if any of these qualify as stimming?).
I'm not on the spectrum, but when I'm anxious I'll pick at my fingernails, roll my shoulders, and bounce my leg (I'm not quite sure if any of these qualify as stimming?).
hdEgTfF.gif5caOtnS.gifTvGyETb.gif
1 2