Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dragonic Influences
1 2 3 4 5
What are your dragon influences?
AKA Your Life in Dragons

For me it goes chronologically -->

Serendipity the Pink Dragon,
Smaug from the animated Hobbit,
Falkor from The Neverending Story
Dungeons & Dragons RPG
The Gap Dragon of Xanth,
the Dragonriders of Pern novel series,
The Jabborwock from the poem Jabberwocky
Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters novel series,
Magic: The Gathering TCG Wurms & Dragons
Yugioh TCG & Anime
Dragonheart (T.T)
Pokemon TCG Dragon Types

with some minor influences from

Eureeka's Castle (Magellan)

Other Movies:
Reign of Fire, The Sword in the Stone (Madam Mim was a cool dragon.) Sleeping Beauty (Maleficent also made a cool dragon.) How to Train Your Dragon (Cat as dragon! Awesome.)

Other Books:
The Smoke Thief romance novel by Shana Abé, Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs

All those cheesy 80's airbrushed dragon and wizard images,
Also all the 80s sci-fi/fantasy book covers

What are your dragon influences?
AKA Your Life in Dragons

For me it goes chronologically -->

Serendipity the Pink Dragon,
Smaug from the animated Hobbit,
Falkor from The Neverending Story
Dungeons & Dragons RPG
The Gap Dragon of Xanth,
the Dragonriders of Pern novel series,
The Jabborwock from the poem Jabberwocky
Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters novel series,
Magic: The Gathering TCG Wurms & Dragons
Yugioh TCG & Anime
Dragonheart (T.T)
Pokemon TCG Dragon Types

with some minor influences from

Eureeka's Castle (Magellan)

Other Movies:
Reign of Fire, The Sword in the Stone (Madam Mim was a cool dragon.) Sleeping Beauty (Maleficent also made a cool dragon.) How to Train Your Dragon (Cat as dragon! Awesome.)

Other Books:
The Smoke Thief romance novel by Shana Abé, Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs

All those cheesy 80's airbrushed dragon and wizard images,
Also all the 80s sci-fi/fantasy book covers

windh3.png
Oha! Don't ask me where to begin... xD

I think, it startet with Yu-Gi-Oh! (the anime & the card game). Rapidly, I got so obsesseb by dragons, that I build my own dragon deck. Meanwhile I (and my brother @Vehementis too, btw.) started to collect dragon novels. There are so many, I could barely count them all, but I remember the first ones clearly.
- Tooth and Claw - Jo Walton
- Die Drachen (german title) - Julia Conrad
- Buried Fire - Jonathan Strout
- Dragon Blood & Dragon Bones - Patricia Briggs
- His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik (still the best series in my opinion!)
many dragon novels followed... and apart from the novels, I soon bought the Draconomicon (D&D 3.5) because of the great illustrations by Todd Lockwood. ^^

Then I started to collect art about dragons. That's also, how I became a fan of Jessica 'NeonDragon' Peffer and so, of course, Flight Rising. xD
My brother bought all of her books, then. Our Collection in art and literature is pretty impressive now. There are some great artists, I really love~
- Ciruelo Cabral
- William O'Connor
- Larry Elmore (My brother bought The Complete Elmore; limited to 250 books)
- Natalia 'VampirePrincess007' P. Gutierrez
- Shinerai
- Skysealer

My brother and I also have a really great collection of dragon movies, but... most of them are really trash. ^^'
But we started with one of the best: DragonHeart. :D
Oha! Don't ask me where to begin... xD

I think, it startet with Yu-Gi-Oh! (the anime & the card game). Rapidly, I got so obsesseb by dragons, that I build my own dragon deck. Meanwhile I (and my brother @Vehementis too, btw.) started to collect dragon novels. There are so many, I could barely count them all, but I remember the first ones clearly.
- Tooth and Claw - Jo Walton
- Die Drachen (german title) - Julia Conrad
- Buried Fire - Jonathan Strout
- Dragon Blood & Dragon Bones - Patricia Briggs
- His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik (still the best series in my opinion!)
many dragon novels followed... and apart from the novels, I soon bought the Draconomicon (D&D 3.5) because of the great illustrations by Todd Lockwood. ^^

Then I started to collect art about dragons. That's also, how I became a fan of Jessica 'NeonDragon' Peffer and so, of course, Flight Rising. xD
My brother bought all of her books, then. Our Collection in art and literature is pretty impressive now. There are some great artists, I really love~
- Ciruelo Cabral
- William O'Connor
- Larry Elmore (My brother bought The Complete Elmore; limited to 250 books)
- Natalia 'VampirePrincess007' P. Gutierrez
- Shinerai
- Skysealer

My brother and I also have a really great collection of dragon movies, but... most of them are really trash. ^^'
But we started with one of the best: DragonHeart. :D
Free in mind and true in heart... A long journey awaits me.
SPYYYYYYROOOOOOO
SPYYYYYYROOOOOOO
@IndigoRyu Nice! I'm going to check out all the books you listed that I haven't read yet! (This thread is secretly a way to find more dragon books. MUAHAHA!)
I'm also going to look at the artists you mentioned. I like AlviaAlcedo on deviantart.

What kind of movies? I'd at least look them up, even if they are trash. :p

@snerd I never really played a Spyro game, buuuut I think the Spyro Skylanders statues are cool looking. His design reminds me of Spike from My little Pony a little bit too. Purple is a good color.
@IndigoRyu Nice! I'm going to check out all the books you listed that I haven't read yet! (This thread is secretly a way to find more dragon books. MUAHAHA!)
I'm also going to look at the artists you mentioned. I like AlviaAlcedo on deviantart.

What kind of movies? I'd at least look them up, even if they are trash. :p

@snerd I never really played a Spyro game, buuuut I think the Spyro Skylanders statues are cool looking. His design reminds me of Spike from My little Pony a little bit too. Purple is a good color.
windh3.png
Let me see, chronologically...
Puff The Magic Dragon
The Hobbit (book, not movie)
Pokemon
Spyro The Dragon
Dragon dieties from Chrono Cross
Dragon Seeds
FFIX
Dragoner job from Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon
Eragon and it's sequels
A lot of other fantasy novels. A LOT. Like Dragon's Milk.
FFIV-VI (I was a Genesis kid.)
Breath of Fire series
Drakes from Battle For Wesnoth
HOARD
Wyrmric class from ToME4/Tales of Maj'Eyal
Let me see, chronologically...
Puff The Magic Dragon
The Hobbit (book, not movie)
Pokemon
Spyro The Dragon
Dragon dieties from Chrono Cross
Dragon Seeds
FFIX
Dragoner job from Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon
Eragon and it's sequels
A lot of other fantasy novels. A LOT. Like Dragon's Milk.
FFIV-VI (I was a Genesis kid.)
Breath of Fire series
Drakes from Battle For Wesnoth
HOARD
Wyrmric class from ToME4/Tales of Maj'Eyal
My writing project.
@OMGZombehs
eh I never got into skylanders, when i was a kid i just had the first 3 ps1 games and they were like, my life. year of the dragon was my all time fave. if you ever have the chance to play them i really do reccomend them! dated as they are they're still fun ;u;
@OMGZombehs
eh I never got into skylanders, when i was a kid i just had the first 3 ps1 games and they were like, my life. year of the dragon was my all time fave. if you ever have the chance to play them i really do reccomend them! dated as they are they're still fun ;u;
There is a big thread about dragon books somewhere in this forum. I should find it and give you the link. My brother also made a list with all novels, we have. xD

About the movies, I have to ask my brother. He has the collection in a shelf next to his couch. ^^
The best movies are definitely: DragonHeart 1-3 (the first one is still the best), Reign of Fire, How to Train Your Dragon 1&2with specials and the series, Eragon (I heard that it is bad, compared to the books, but its way better than most dragon movies I know :D), Dungeons & Dragon 1-3, The Hobbit 1-3(Smaug is great! Awesome played and voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch xD), D-War, The Flight of Dragons, Tales from Earthsea, Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki ftw! ^^), Sucker Punch (really nice CGI dragon)...

Don't punch me, if I forgot some movies, @Vehementis! ^^'
There is a big thread about dragon books somewhere in this forum. I should find it and give you the link. My brother also made a list with all novels, we have. xD

About the movies, I have to ask my brother. He has the collection in a shelf next to his couch. ^^
The best movies are definitely: DragonHeart 1-3 (the first one is still the best), Reign of Fire, How to Train Your Dragon 1&2with specials and the series, Eragon (I heard that it is bad, compared to the books, but its way better than most dragon movies I know :D), Dungeons & Dragon 1-3, The Hobbit 1-3(Smaug is great! Awesome played and voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch xD), D-War, The Flight of Dragons, Tales from Earthsea, Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki ftw! ^^), Sucker Punch (really nice CGI dragon)...

Don't punch me, if I forgot some movies, @Vehementis! ^^'
@Chronosplit I didn't see Puff the Magic Dragon (heard the song though), but it made me think of Pete's Dragon - which I liked.
I can't believe I forgot all of the Final Fantasy games and Legend of Dragoon! Also, the Fire Emblem games. :D Dang. Forgot Heroes of MIght & Magic III as well. I was obsessed with it for a while.

Lot of classic games you got there. :)

I remember reading the Eragon series, but getting completely overloaded. I can't remember nearly anything about it now. :( I'm checking out Dragon's Milk.
@Chronosplit I didn't see Puff the Magic Dragon (heard the song though), but it made me think of Pete's Dragon - which I liked.
I can't believe I forgot all of the Final Fantasy games and Legend of Dragoon! Also, the Fire Emblem games. :D Dang. Forgot Heroes of MIght & Magic III as well. I was obsessed with it for a while.

Lot of classic games you got there. :)

I remember reading the Eragon series, but getting completely overloaded. I can't remember nearly anything about it now. :( I'm checking out Dragon's Milk.
windh3.png
@IndigoRyu Daaaaang. I'd like to see that thread and that list. :)
I've actually seen most of the movies you listed so far. Woo! I actually didn't know there were more Dragonheart movies. I dunno if i could handle more than one of them. o.o

I do love Benedict Cumberbatch (well...I love Sherlock Holmes), but the voice of Smaug in the animated Hobbit was such a big deal to me that even Benedict Cumberbatch's voice couldn't overshadow it. :p

I really loved Reign of Fire.

The Flight of Dragons seemed familiar to me but I couldn't recall it, looking it up I stil have that vague -maybe I've seen this- feeling. The art style reminds me of this card game I played when I was little called Wyvern that was all about famous dragons from mythology. Which I previously forgot to mention. >.> I'm going to check out Sucker Punch.
@IndigoRyu Daaaaang. I'd like to see that thread and that list. :)
I've actually seen most of the movies you listed so far. Woo! I actually didn't know there were more Dragonheart movies. I dunno if i could handle more than one of them. o.o

I do love Benedict Cumberbatch (well...I love Sherlock Holmes), but the voice of Smaug in the animated Hobbit was such a big deal to me that even Benedict Cumberbatch's voice couldn't overshadow it. :p

I really loved Reign of Fire.

The Flight of Dragons seemed familiar to me but I couldn't recall it, looking it up I stil have that vague -maybe I've seen this- feeling. The art style reminds me of this card game I played when I was little called Wyvern that was all about famous dragons from mythology. Which I previously forgot to mention. >.> I'm going to check out Sucker Punch.
windh3.png
DragonHeart 2 is, compared to the first one, a little bit boring and less epic. The third looks a bit more trashy, but it's actually better than I thought. It's worth a try. :>

Sucker Punch is not actually a dragon movie, more a fictional story of a girl who becomes insane and captured. But she is fighting in mind to find a way out and in one fight, she faces a dragon. I like the movie and the subject of the power of mind. ^^

Oh! I also forget to mention some games. :D
I started with The I of the Dragon.
Then there was also Dragon Age 1 and 2, Divinity 2/ Flames of Vengeance, Divinity Dragon Commander, some Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!-Games... The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim! xD
DragonHeart 2 is, compared to the first one, a little bit boring and less epic. The third looks a bit more trashy, but it's actually better than I thought. It's worth a try. :>

Sucker Punch is not actually a dragon movie, more a fictional story of a girl who becomes insane and captured. But she is fighting in mind to find a way out and in one fight, she faces a dragon. I like the movie and the subject of the power of mind. ^^

Oh! I also forget to mention some games. :D
I started with The I of the Dragon.
Then there was also Dragon Age 1 and 2, Divinity 2/ Flames of Vengeance, Divinity Dragon Commander, some Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!-Games... The Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim! xD
1 2 3 4 5