Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dragonic Influences
1 2 3 4 5
Oh, yeah! A book club would be fun. :D
Hopefully, the recommended books are also published in german. Otherwise I have to import them from UK or USA. ^^
Speaking of... A Natural History and The Tropic of Serpents are very amazing books! That was totally worth the import. xD

Edit: Did some more research. Now I want to read The voyage of the Basilisk and In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan. :D
The cover art by Todd Lockwood also looks fantastic everytime. ^^
Oh, yeah! A book club would be fun. :D
Hopefully, the recommended books are also published in german. Otherwise I have to import them from UK or USA. ^^
Speaking of... A Natural History and The Tropic of Serpents are very amazing books! That was totally worth the import. xD

Edit: Did some more research. Now I want to read The voyage of the Basilisk and In the Labyrinth of Drakes by Marie Brennan. :D
The cover art by Todd Lockwood also looks fantastic everytime. ^^
Free in mind and true in heart... A long journey awaits me.
@OMGZombehs

Yay friendships!

It'll be complicated, but fun! I love this kind of thing.

I think the weekly recommendation aspect should take care of reading styles/speeds--you know better than anyone how you read, so if you spot a week you'd like to participate in, you can plan for yourself how and when you're going to read.

Group size should be OK for the same reason (few people can read a book a week and even those that can will probably pass on some titles), and the voting at the beginning should give us some idea of how many people will read each book.

Content warnings will be more complicated. Maybe we can round up some volunteers to take turns reading ahead, and sometimes there are reviews online that might help. We'll probably need a list of triggers to look for, starting with the most common ones and inviting people to PM us their individual needs.

The only thing I know how to use is Google Forms, which might work for the voting? Not sure.

And yeah, we should probably start a new thread soon--do you want to, or should I?

It sounds like we'll need to include a bunch of info on the list. Maybe something like this:
BOOK, author ISBN #
Languages:
Length:
TW:

@IndigoRyu
That's a good point! I think it'll come down to the vote, but we can look up what languages the text is available in. Maybe we can try to to read a more internationally-available book every other week?
@OMGZombehs

Yay friendships!

It'll be complicated, but fun! I love this kind of thing.

I think the weekly recommendation aspect should take care of reading styles/speeds--you know better than anyone how you read, so if you spot a week you'd like to participate in, you can plan for yourself how and when you're going to read.

Group size should be OK for the same reason (few people can read a book a week and even those that can will probably pass on some titles), and the voting at the beginning should give us some idea of how many people will read each book.

Content warnings will be more complicated. Maybe we can round up some volunteers to take turns reading ahead, and sometimes there are reviews online that might help. We'll probably need a list of triggers to look for, starting with the most common ones and inviting people to PM us their individual needs.

The only thing I know how to use is Google Forms, which might work for the voting? Not sure.

And yeah, we should probably start a new thread soon--do you want to, or should I?

It sounds like we'll need to include a bunch of info on the list. Maybe something like this:
BOOK, author ISBN #
Languages:
Length:
TW:

@IndigoRyu
That's a good point! I think it'll come down to the vote, but we can look up what languages the text is available in. Maybe we can try to to read a more internationally-available book every other week?
@juncosongs You go ahead and start the new thread. You're obviously more together than I am. :) Maybe ping the people that seemed interested when you make it?
@juncosongs You go ahead and start the new thread. You're obviously more together than I am. :) Maybe ping the people that seemed interested when you make it?
windh3.png
@OMGZombehs Sure I'll give it a go!
@OMGZombehs Sure I'll give it a go!
@juncosongs
@OMGZombehs

yesss, libraries!

I definitely agree on the stress of borrowing books though...which is why I usually try and get at least some way through a book, then move on to buy it if I like it XD
Stress of due dates eliminated, along with stress of not knowing if it'll be good- a perfect system XD
well, nearly perfect
@juncosongs
@OMGZombehs

yesss, libraries!

I definitely agree on the stress of borrowing books though...which is why I usually try and get at least some way through a book, then move on to buy it if I like it XD
Stress of due dates eliminated, along with stress of not knowing if it'll be good- a perfect system XD
well, nearly perfect
eppAZHY.pngu1qMgY0.png SqnIrhs.png
@LilacsandFreedom

Oh yeah! I've spent my fair share of hours crouched in the aisle, furiously speedreading my latest find.

Good times, good times . . .
@LilacsandFreedom

Oh yeah! I've spent my fair share of hours crouched in the aisle, furiously speedreading my latest find.

Good times, good times . . .
@juncosongs

I know that sometimes a book on the "hot off the presses!" shelf will catch my eye, and 9 times out of 10 I will be terribly disappointed despite its promises of something good XP
So, yeah, that's why I love the library- no risk of being stuck with a book you hate XD
a particularly memorable example of this would be when I mis-read the blurb on a YA novel, which led me to believe that it'd be a "fantasy spills over into reality; hijinks ensue" kind of adventure, but, no, it was a "coming of age" thing with a SUPER unlikable 1st person protagonist. I was very happy I didn't buy it, let me tell ya XD
@juncosongs

I know that sometimes a book on the "hot off the presses!" shelf will catch my eye, and 9 times out of 10 I will be terribly disappointed despite its promises of something good XP
So, yeah, that's why I love the library- no risk of being stuck with a book you hate XD
a particularly memorable example of this would be when I mis-read the blurb on a YA novel, which led me to believe that it'd be a "fantasy spills over into reality; hijinks ensue" kind of adventure, but, no, it was a "coming of age" thing with a SUPER unlikable 1st person protagonist. I was very happy I didn't buy it, let me tell ya XD
eppAZHY.pngu1qMgY0.png SqnIrhs.png
I haven't read many dragon books or seen many dragon films, but there's always been something about dragons that I loved. I used to have this big robotic dragon toy when I was four or something that walked and roared and it was amazing xD

· How To Train Your Dragon (books and films, no TV series as of yet)
· DragonFable (a mostly singleplayer rpg played in the browser, I really enjoyed it when I was younger q:)
· Harry Potter (I loved it when dragons showed up in the story)
· TES V: Skyrim
· Flight Rising (of course)

I'd say how I draw dragons is influenced by Skyrim's dragon style and FR's dragon styles. Studying FR's pictures certainly helped me draw claws and dragon feet better, anyway xD
I haven't read many dragon books or seen many dragon films, but there's always been something about dragons that I loved. I used to have this big robotic dragon toy when I was four or something that walked and roared and it was amazing xD

· How To Train Your Dragon (books and films, no TV series as of yet)
· DragonFable (a mostly singleplayer rpg played in the browser, I really enjoyed it when I was younger q:)
· Harry Potter (I loved it when dragons showed up in the story)
· TES V: Skyrim
· Flight Rising (of course)

I'd say how I draw dragons is influenced by Skyrim's dragon style and FR's dragon styles. Studying FR's pictures certainly helped me draw claws and dragon feet better, anyway xD
cbaa17a5a06daa6a78029fcf8763b4844dd0e1a6.png .
...he/him | FR+8
@Fire lairs - please let me know
if you hatch a mint/ruby/hunter
dragon! I have a mighty need.
....OjYCOIV.png
Huh. Now that I think about it, I never really cared that much for dragons.
Dragon Tales on PBS Kids
Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
and those fake Dragonology/other "mythological creatures in real life" "research" books were pretty cool when I was a kid
Duke the Dragon from Dutch Wonderland
And whenever people are bugging me about pokemon (which I never got into), I remember that my favorite type is dragon and there are hardly any species there, so I don't have to memorize so many.
There are other dragons that I like, but none of them really influenced me any. I never knew I was this disconnected until this thread had me look at it. Interesting.
Huh. Now that I think about it, I never really cared that much for dragons.
Dragon Tales on PBS Kids
Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
and those fake Dragonology/other "mythological creatures in real life" "research" books were pretty cool when I was a kid
Duke the Dragon from Dutch Wonderland
And whenever people are bugging me about pokemon (which I never got into), I remember that my favorite type is dragon and there are hardly any species there, so I don't have to memorize so many.
There are other dragons that I like, but none of them really influenced me any. I never knew I was this disconnected until this thread had me look at it. Interesting.
tumblr_inline_n6kdumWg7l1qlye38.gif3864399.png3864400.png3909477.pngtumblr_inline_n6kdumWg7l1qlye38.gif
Alduin.
Alduin.
ku7My32.png
1 2 3 4 5