Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Designing and Making Lore
Navigation
Intro | Clan Lore | Dragon Lore | Naming | Bios | Art

Lore is one of the allures of Flight Rising. The dragons serve as an excellent base for character design. There's already background lore in the form of the Lorebook in the encyclopedia. The background information on the different flights and breeds, as well as the geography, help make it easy to flesh out a distinct character.

It can be overwhelming to start off with, especially if you've been looking at a clan with well established lore. How do you even begin?

Hopefully this guide will help you if you decide you want to do lore.

This guide is so short and lame I am so sorry
Navigation

Lore is one of the allures of Flight Rising. The dragons serve as an excellent base for character design. There's already background lore in the form of the Lorebook in the encyclopedia. The background information on the different flights and breeds, as well as the geography, help make it easy to flesh out a distinct character.

It can be overwhelming to start off with, especially if you've been looking at a clan with well established lore. How do you even begin?

Hopefully this guide will help you if you decide you want to do lore.

This guide is so short and lame I am so sorry
Dua Sekhmet, my Mother, Lady of Plagues!
Navigation

Clan Lore

Most lore players have an overarching lore regarding the circumstances of their clan. Here are some questions to ask yourself when designing lore. Often, this lore will go in the clan information section of your profile.

Some are set after the downfall of the Eleven, some set during their reign.

Your clan may be highly selective, preferring royalty and scholars.

Maybe your clan is a place for misfits, full of criminals or every day dragons.

Is your clan made up only of members of one flight, or do you allow any flight to join?

What sort of initiation process, if any, is required before a dragon can join?

What duties are to be expected of a member? Some clans have a task set aside for an individual dragon, whereas other clans share tasks equally.

What are their religious beliefs, and what do they value? Family? Virtue? Success?

Do they get along with the Beastclans or not?

Where in their flight's territory do they live?

Are there conflicts in the clan?

Is there a clear leader, or do they share power?

Navigation

Clan Lore

Most lore players have an overarching lore regarding the circumstances of their clan. Here are some questions to ask yourself when designing lore. Often, this lore will go in the clan information section of your profile.

Some are set after the downfall of the Eleven, some set during their reign.

Your clan may be highly selective, preferring royalty and scholars.

Maybe your clan is a place for misfits, full of criminals or every day dragons.

Is your clan made up only of members of one flight, or do you allow any flight to join?

What sort of initiation process, if any, is required before a dragon can join?

What duties are to be expected of a member? Some clans have a task set aside for an individual dragon, whereas other clans share tasks equally.

What are their religious beliefs, and what do they value? Family? Virtue? Success?

Do they get along with the Beastclans or not?

Where in their flight's territory do they live?

Are there conflicts in the clan?

Is there a clear leader, or do they share power?

Navigation

Dragon Lore

This lore is specific to an individual dragon and is often kept in the bio section of a dragon's page. It can be made pretty with bio templates (see "Bios") or kept plain and containing only relevant information.

Often, it will contain a history and a personality section.

Where did your dragon come from? Are they happy to be in the clan, or do they want to be somewhere else? What was their journey like from their birthplace to the clan? Were they quickly accepted, or was there pushback against them joining the clan?

Are they sweet and caring? Do they like hatchlings? How good are they in a fight? Would they die for someone or kill for someone? How do they feel about crime and murder? Are they glamorous and vain? Accepting of outsiders or distrustful? Do they have a familiar?

It may also contain personal information such as gender, age, mate, parents, friends, children, enemies, sexuality, and familiar. You might list the items they would keep in their hoard.

There are tons of ways to do a bio, and no way is wrong.

Many people will choose to commission another player to write lore for them, but many will also write their own lore.
Navigation

Dragon Lore

This lore is specific to an individual dragon and is often kept in the bio section of a dragon's page. It can be made pretty with bio templates (see "Bios") or kept plain and containing only relevant information.

Often, it will contain a history and a personality section.

Where did your dragon come from? Are they happy to be in the clan, or do they want to be somewhere else? What was their journey like from their birthplace to the clan? Were they quickly accepted, or was there pushback against them joining the clan?

Are they sweet and caring? Do they like hatchlings? How good are they in a fight? Would they die for someone or kill for someone? How do they feel about crime and murder? Are they glamorous and vain? Accepting of outsiders or distrustful? Do they have a familiar?

It may also contain personal information such as gender, age, mate, parents, friends, children, enemies, sexuality, and familiar. You might list the items they would keep in their hoard.

There are tons of ways to do a bio, and no way is wrong.

Many people will choose to commission another player to write lore for them, but many will also write their own lore.
Navigation

Naming

Naming can be very important in a clan, or it could not matter at all.

Do you use the random name generator for your names, or pick one yourself?

Do names have meaning, or do they just sound pretty?

Do you name hatchlings, or do you leave them unnamed for their new owners to decide?
Navigation

Naming

Naming can be very important in a clan, or it could not matter at all.

Do you use the random name generator for your names, or pick one yourself?

Do names have meaning, or do they just sound pretty?

Do you name hatchlings, or do you leave them unnamed for their new owners to decide?
Navigation

Bios

The bio is where you house the lore for individual dragons.

There's lots of templates- many use the templates by Mibella, but there are plenty of other templates out there as well. If you're BB code savvy, you might even design your own.

Here is a thread of resources for dragon bios.

Navigation

Bios

The bio is where you house the lore for individual dragons.

There's lots of templates- many use the templates by Mibella, but there are plenty of other templates out there as well. If you're BB code savvy, you might even design your own.

Here is a thread of resources for dragon bios.

Navigation

Art

Art is also a fun way to spruce up a bio or lore. You can either create your own, or commission someone else to do it for you.

This can be a good way to showcase pivotal moments in your clan's lore, or to show off personality traits of your dragon that are not easily shown by the flight rising art.
Navigation

Art

Art is also a fun way to spruce up a bio or lore. You can either create your own, or commission someone else to do it for you.

This can be a good way to showcase pivotal moments in your clan's lore, or to show off personality traits of your dragon that are not easily shown by the flight rising art.
I like your guide :)
I like your guide :)
Thank you so much for this guide, I have been overwhelmed thinking about writing lore and this gave me a good place to start. : )
Thank you so much for this guide, I have been overwhelmed thinking about writing lore and this gave me a good place to start. : )
This is super helpful, thank you!
This is super helpful, thank you!