Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | FR Rules of Acquisition for Profit
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 32
This is really helpful :O I need to save this.
This is really helpful :O I need to save this.
@Ygdrasill

You have really good advice on how to make money off of festivals buried in here - would you consider adding it to your first post? Especially with the Nature festival coming up I'm sure people would be interested in seeing your take. Even if not, thanks for all the nuggets of festival wisdom squirreled away in the replies here :)
@Ygdrasill

You have really good advice on how to make money off of festivals buried in here - would you consider adding it to your first post? Especially with the Nature festival coming up I'm sure people would be interested in seeing your take. Even if not, thanks for all the nuggets of festival wisdom squirreled away in the replies here :)
oTVkboM.png
@patronissimo
I could add a section for festivals. It would have to be updated a bit since they aren't quite as profitable as they once were. with so many more players, the supply of fest currency is much higher as well. It's still possible to make a profit and necessary if you don't want to take a week off since material and dragon sales often dry up.
@patronissimo
I could add a section for festivals. It would have to be updated a bit since they aren't quite as profitable as they once were. with so many more players, the supply of fest currency is much higher as well. It's still possible to make a profit and necessary if you don't want to take a week off since material and dragon sales often dry up.
tumblr_inline_nebbd6PAZE1qmu9vp.png
@Ygdrasill how do people who buy fodder for profit resist falling in love with the cute dragons? do you purposefully buy color combinations or genes that you dislike to keep this from happening, or is it just willpower?

and if so how do you learn it because i went to the ah intending to get some fodder yesterday and ended up getting attached to and buying like eight dragons. h e l p m e
@Ygdrasill how do people who buy fodder for profit resist falling in love with the cute dragons? do you purposefully buy color combinations or genes that you dislike to keep this from happening, or is it just willpower?

and if so how do you learn it because i went to the ah intending to get some fodder yesterday and ended up getting attached to and buying like eight dragons. h e l p m e
rose/raven * 1w9 * she/they * +2hrs
you are loved.
tumblr_inline_nt4mfidcqY1qkfp12_500.gif
@Ygdrasill I really look forward to it :)

@curiousraven Once you turn enough fodder over in your lair, you realize there's nothing new under the sun. You can always buy a similar dragon. But if you like that dragon enough, there's no harm keeping it until you get tired of it. You might want to consider exing an old dragon for every new dragon you add, esp if your lair space is limited. I find that I'll keep pretty fodder for like a week or two before I get rid of them eventually :P

I also run an "exalt rescue" thread where I offer pretty fodder in exchange for one RTT or whatever the fodder floor price is - and if no one wants the fodder then it gets exalted, but at least it had a chance. If you look at the thread you can see it's an extremely low effort initiative as all I do is ping and bump when I've got something XD
@Ygdrasill I really look forward to it :)

@curiousraven Once you turn enough fodder over in your lair, you realize there's nothing new under the sun. You can always buy a similar dragon. But if you like that dragon enough, there's no harm keeping it until you get tired of it. You might want to consider exing an old dragon for every new dragon you add, esp if your lair space is limited. I find that I'll keep pretty fodder for like a week or two before I get rid of them eventually :P

I also run an "exalt rescue" thread where I offer pretty fodder in exchange for one RTT or whatever the fodder floor price is - and if no one wants the fodder then it gets exalted, but at least it had a chance. If you look at the thread you can see it's an extremely low effort initiative as all I do is ping and bump when I've got something XD
oTVkboM.png
@curiousraven
I have a personal rule. If I keep one, I have to get rid of one. occasionally I'll get one with exceptional colors and genes and usually I sell those at higher than fodder prices. One other thing that helps is I don't go to that part of my lair often so I only see them in the small previews when I first buy them as hatchlings and again when they get sold as adults. Finally, I have yet to see a dragon sold at fodder prices that I couldn't get a similar one of at any point I wanted so it's not that big a deal to send them along. There are occasionally ones that I'll take a closer look at and maybe keep for a few days deciding, but usually not.
@curiousraven
I have a personal rule. If I keep one, I have to get rid of one. occasionally I'll get one with exceptional colors and genes and usually I sell those at higher than fodder prices. One other thing that helps is I don't go to that part of my lair often so I only see them in the small previews when I first buy them as hatchlings and again when they get sold as adults. Finally, I have yet to see a dragon sold at fodder prices that I couldn't get a similar one of at any point I wanted so it's not that big a deal to send them along. There are occasionally ones that I'll take a closer look at and maybe keep for a few days deciding, but usually not.
@curiousraven: when you see enough dragons you will become more picking, to the point just pretty and cute are not enough. I do keep some fodders but only when they get a "wow" reaction from me, so far it's only happened about five times.
@curiousraven: when you see enough dragons you will become more picking, to the point just pretty and cute are not enough. I do keep some fodders but only when they get a "wow" reaction from me, so far it's only happened about five times.
GkKw54H.png
@patronissimo @Ygdrasill but there is always the question of whether you have the restraint to actually stick to your own rules. s i g h. i'm sure i'll learn eventually :')

@SH4DOWDUS7 man, i hope so. my coffers can't handle this kind of treatment much longer.
@patronissimo @Ygdrasill but there is always the question of whether you have the restraint to actually stick to your own rules. s i g h. i'm sure i'll learn eventually :')

@SH4DOWDUS7 man, i hope so. my coffers can't handle this kind of treatment much longer.
rose/raven * 1w9 * she/they * +2hrs
you are loved.
tumblr_inline_nt4mfidcqY1qkfp12_500.gif
@curiousraven

i feel your pain! i am most often yelling at friends, or passing strangers even: "please! take away my keys to the auction house!"

one thing i tried was becoming a dragon shopper for the 'dragon wish foundation.'
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drw/1973576

the idea is, i get to shop the auction house for rare (and hideously expensive) dragons, feel the endorphin rush of finding one, and then letting someone ELSE go buy it! but this is a double-edged sword, as you will spend more time in the auction house and... well... dragon wish shopping is how i ended up with 'monarch.' (seriously, who would dump a monarch butterfly looking imperial dragon for like 6 freaking k!?!??!)

another thing... i have my daily routine here. i'm mainly an apparel flipper, so at the end of my income phase, i then go and blow it all on the marketplace (and/or deposit some into my hoard savings), and THEN only go to the auction house when i'm left with like 3k.
that makes it real difficult to impulse buy any cool dragons. i'll admit, i HAVE gone back to my hoard, pulled out some cash, and bought a dragon. but not very often.

lastly... i like breeding projects. i don't know what it is, i just want to take two dragons, pull the slot machine lever, and see if the exact right jackpot combo comes out. but to this end, and with the new, NEW auction house revamp, i have saved several specific dragon searches. then i only see dragons relevant to my projects. or, quite often 'none.' ;D

though i guess that's not helpful for dragon flipping. perhaps you'd prefer to do apparel flipping? i guess apparel has bigger price tags.

maybe we need a 'dragons anonymous' addiction forum subject... ;D
@curiousraven

i feel your pain! i am most often yelling at friends, or passing strangers even: "please! take away my keys to the auction house!"

one thing i tried was becoming a dragon shopper for the 'dragon wish foundation.'
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/drw/1973576

the idea is, i get to shop the auction house for rare (and hideously expensive) dragons, feel the endorphin rush of finding one, and then letting someone ELSE go buy it! but this is a double-edged sword, as you will spend more time in the auction house and... well... dragon wish shopping is how i ended up with 'monarch.' (seriously, who would dump a monarch butterfly looking imperial dragon for like 6 freaking k!?!??!)

another thing... i have my daily routine here. i'm mainly an apparel flipper, so at the end of my income phase, i then go and blow it all on the marketplace (and/or deposit some into my hoard savings), and THEN only go to the auction house when i'm left with like 3k.
that makes it real difficult to impulse buy any cool dragons. i'll admit, i HAVE gone back to my hoard, pulled out some cash, and bought a dragon. but not very often.

lastly... i like breeding projects. i don't know what it is, i just want to take two dragons, pull the slot machine lever, and see if the exact right jackpot combo comes out. but to this end, and with the new, NEW auction house revamp, i have saved several specific dragon searches. then i only see dragons relevant to my projects. or, quite often 'none.' ;D

though i guess that's not helpful for dragon flipping. perhaps you'd prefer to do apparel flipping? i guess apparel has bigger price tags.

maybe we need a 'dragons anonymous' addiction forum subject... ;D
@Bloodsong @curiousraven
If you do it right, apparel flipping can be very profitable. You do have to learn the items that sell and the ones that don't, but you can make far more per sale than flipping dragons most of the time. It just takes a bit more practice since it's not just 'buy cheap hatchling, let hatchling grow up, sell adult'.

Breeding projects are fun, but they are very often not profitable. When I set up breeding pairs to try to create salable hatchlings, I have most often had to buy at least 2 gem genes for each if not three and, in a couple cases species scroll as well. THe largest project I ever ran was to be one of the first to get triple radioactives. I did it, but the cost of the breeding stock, the cost of the slots they took in my lair (rememeber 10-20k/week each), and the cost of the genes and species scrolls was very high. I think I ended up maybe making a small profit eventually. It was a lot of fun doing it and chatting with the few others who were seriously trying as well. I'll never run another like that though.
@Bloodsong @curiousraven
If you do it right, apparel flipping can be very profitable. You do have to learn the items that sell and the ones that don't, but you can make far more per sale than flipping dragons most of the time. It just takes a bit more practice since it's not just 'buy cheap hatchling, let hatchling grow up, sell adult'.

Breeding projects are fun, but they are very often not profitable. When I set up breeding pairs to try to create salable hatchlings, I have most often had to buy at least 2 gem genes for each if not three and, in a couple cases species scroll as well. THe largest project I ever ran was to be one of the first to get triple radioactives. I did it, but the cost of the breeding stock, the cost of the slots they took in my lair (rememeber 10-20k/week each), and the cost of the genes and species scrolls was very high. I think I ended up maybe making a small profit eventually. It was a lot of fun doing it and chatting with the few others who were seriously trying as well. I'll never run another like that though.
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 32