Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | [Guide] In Progress
1 2
The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to
the Coliseums of Flight Rising

When I first joined Flight Rising, I immediately gravitated toward the coliseums as the most interactive thing that I could do with my dragons on the site. I tried to read several of the guides, but while they provided a lot of information, they were difficult to understand as a total beginner, and I found they didn't provide the information I actually needed to understand what they were trying to tell me.

Since then, I've figured out a lot on my own, and I've spent hours and hours talking to beginners to lead them through their first Coliseum experiences. Finally, I've decided to sit down and collect my explanations in one place.

If there is anything you find needs clarification after reading through this guide, please let me know and we can work together to figure out what I can do to make the explanation simpler or better.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Finished Guide Pinglist:
The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to
the Coliseums of Flight Rising

When I first joined Flight Rising, I immediately gravitated toward the coliseums as the most interactive thing that I could do with my dragons on the site. I tried to read several of the guides, but while they provided a lot of information, they were difficult to understand as a total beginner, and I found they didn't provide the information I actually needed to understand what they were trying to tell me.

Since then, I've figured out a lot on my own, and I've spent hours and hours talking to beginners to lead them through their first Coliseum experiences. Finally, I've decided to sit down and collect my explanations in one place.

If there is anything you find needs clarification after reading through this guide, please let me know and we can work together to figure out what I can do to make the explanation simpler or better.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Finished Guide Pinglist:
tumblr_pe38ivw9vU1rc4grco1_500.png
Coliseum Overview

The coliseum main page is located here and can be reached at any time on the left hand menu bar of the site under "Play."

When you first enter the coliseum area, you are presented with four large buttons on the left side.

Organize Party
  • This area is where you can choose which of your dragons you are going to take into the arena together. You can take up to three dragons in at once, and it is recommended that you do take 3.
  • Dragons must be named adults in order to enter the coliseum.
  • The list from which you can choose dragons in this area is located to the right. To place them on your team, click/hold and drag them onto the circles at left.
  • Your dragons will take turns inside the coliseum based on the position you place them on those circles. The left most dragon will go first.
  • From this area you can see a basic overview of each dragon's level, stats, and stones, but you cannot alter any of those things here.

Abilities and Stats
  • In this area you can view your chosen team's statistics (stats) and battle stones. You are able to alter these stats only in this area.
  • To add statistic points to your dragons, click on the dragon's image. A pop up will appear displaying the current stats, the points available to spend, and a button in the top right which can reset your stats if you have a Tincture of Dissolution. More on that in the Stats and Specs section.
  • To add or alter battle stones, click/hold and drag new stones from the right hand area into the dragon's battle stone slots. More on battle stones in the Battle Stones section.
  • You can only view/change the stats and stones of your chosen team of three dragons in this area. To change stats or stones on other dragons, you will need to return to the "Organize Party" area and place the needed dragon on your team.

Monster Battle
  • Clicking this button will not immediately put you into battle. It will take you to another area with a bunch of Coliseum areas to choose from.
  • Coliseum areas are separated by level. You should fight on or above the level of your team's highest level dragon in order to gain experience points. Fighting in an arena lower than your team's highest level dragon will result in 0xp gained.
  • You may enter any coliseum at any level, but the levels do get much harder as they go up, so staying in your level range is best.
  • If you happen to misclick into an arena you do not want to be in (too high or too low) you can reload the page or click "flee" to exit and select the correct coli. Fleeing will dock your dragons 2 energy points, which can be recovered simply by feeding them.

Rated Match
  • This is an area where you can fight other players, instead of computer opponents.
  • When you click on this button it will not immediately place you into a match with another player. It will alert you with a small pop up saying that it is about to search for an opponent for you.
  • The rest of this area is a mystery to me.

General Coliseum Information
  • Dragons use breath to fight. They gain breath based on using their top-level battle stone ability. More on this in the Battle Stones section.
  • If your dragons "die" in the Coliseum, they do not actually die. As long as one party member survives the fight, the 'dead' fighter will revive with a small amount of health. If the entire party 'dies' then each dragon will be docked 5 energy points (which can be recovered by feeding them).
  • If your dragons are alive at the end of a fight, you may flick to "Fight On." This will take you to a new fight but your dragons will keep the 'breath' they have built up.
  • If all of your dragons 'die' you do not need to return to the main page. If you click to Fight On, your dragons will revive with full health but no breath. The same is true if you return to the main page and come back into the Coli.
  • Dragons must be well fed to fight in the coliseum. A starving/exhausted dragon will not appear in the list of possible party members.

Coliseum Overview

The coliseum main page is located here and can be reached at any time on the left hand menu bar of the site under "Play."

When you first enter the coliseum area, you are presented with four large buttons on the left side.

Organize Party
  • This area is where you can choose which of your dragons you are going to take into the arena together. You can take up to three dragons in at once, and it is recommended that you do take 3.
  • Dragons must be named adults in order to enter the coliseum.
  • The list from which you can choose dragons in this area is located to the right. To place them on your team, click/hold and drag them onto the circles at left.
  • Your dragons will take turns inside the coliseum based on the position you place them on those circles. The left most dragon will go first.
  • From this area you can see a basic overview of each dragon's level, stats, and stones, but you cannot alter any of those things here.

Abilities and Stats
  • In this area you can view your chosen team's statistics (stats) and battle stones. You are able to alter these stats only in this area.
  • To add statistic points to your dragons, click on the dragon's image. A pop up will appear displaying the current stats, the points available to spend, and a button in the top right which can reset your stats if you have a Tincture of Dissolution. More on that in the Stats and Specs section.
  • To add or alter battle stones, click/hold and drag new stones from the right hand area into the dragon's battle stone slots. More on battle stones in the Battle Stones section.
  • You can only view/change the stats and stones of your chosen team of three dragons in this area. To change stats or stones on other dragons, you will need to return to the "Organize Party" area and place the needed dragon on your team.

Monster Battle
  • Clicking this button will not immediately put you into battle. It will take you to another area with a bunch of Coliseum areas to choose from.
  • Coliseum areas are separated by level. You should fight on or above the level of your team's highest level dragon in order to gain experience points. Fighting in an arena lower than your team's highest level dragon will result in 0xp gained.
  • You may enter any coliseum at any level, but the levels do get much harder as they go up, so staying in your level range is best.
  • If you happen to misclick into an arena you do not want to be in (too high or too low) you can reload the page or click "flee" to exit and select the correct coli. Fleeing will dock your dragons 2 energy points, which can be recovered simply by feeding them.

Rated Match
  • This is an area where you can fight other players, instead of computer opponents.
  • When you click on this button it will not immediately place you into a match with another player. It will alert you with a small pop up saying that it is about to search for an opponent for you.
  • The rest of this area is a mystery to me.

General Coliseum Information
  • Dragons use breath to fight. They gain breath based on using their top-level battle stone ability. More on this in the Battle Stones section.
  • If your dragons "die" in the Coliseum, they do not actually die. As long as one party member survives the fight, the 'dead' fighter will revive with a small amount of health. If the entire party 'dies' then each dragon will be docked 5 energy points (which can be recovered by feeding them).
  • If your dragons are alive at the end of a fight, you may flick to "Fight On." This will take you to a new fight but your dragons will keep the 'breath' they have built up.
  • If all of your dragons 'die' you do not need to return to the main page. If you click to Fight On, your dragons will revive with full health but no breath. The same is true if you return to the main page and come back into the Coli.
  • Dragons must be well fed to fight in the coliseum. A starving/exhausted dragon will not appear in the list of possible party members.

Organizing Your Party

Before you can do anything else in the Coliseum, you have to choose which dragons you are going to take into the arena. There are several factors to consider when organizing your party.

Level
  • The level of the dragons in your team should be approximately equal. For most beginners, this will probably be three L1 dragons, however it's not uncommon for new players to be gifted higher level dragons.
  • A higher level dragon in a party of lower level dragons is generally detrimental. Unless you are fighting in an arena that is equal or higher to the highest level dragon, you will receive no experience points for fighting.

Elemental Flight
  • Regardless of what flight you chose to join when you signed up, you can own dragons from any other flight. You can take a dragon of any element into the Coliseum.
  • Each element has strengths over and weaknesses to other elements. Because of this, it is a good idea to include three dragons of different elements in your Coli team.
  • You can find a good guide on the strengths and weaknesses of different elements here.

Party Roles
  • Every dragon starts with a cardboard cut out specialization of talents. Some are casters, some are melee damage, some are melee defense. However, any dragon may take on any role simply by replacing the dragon's current battle stones and assigning their stats differently. More on this in the Stats and Specs section.
  • When choosing your dragons, you may still want to consider their starting roles in the interest of not having to fuss with replacing battle stones right away.
  • There are several ways in which you can compose a coli team. More on this in the Stats and Specs section.
    1. Melee/Melee/Melee - Many people choose to compose a team of three 'glass cannons' (dragons which hit hard but cannot take much damage).
    2. Melee/Melee/Melee - Many people choose to take 2 glass cannons and 1 farmer melee (a dragon whose stats allow them to self heal and take more hits, but deal less damage overall).
    3. Melee/Melee/Healer - Many people choose to include a healer over another damage class, to provide recourse from damage and sustain longer fighting streaks. The melee can be 2 glass cannons, 2 farmers, or 1 cannon and 1 farmer.
    4. Melee/Mage/Healer - Some people fight with a melee damage and a mage instead of double melee. In my experience this is a lot less effective, and I do not personally use this build ever.
    5. Melee/Melee/Mage (or Caster Hybrid) - Many people choose to hybridize their healer to a mage. In my experience this is the most effective way to use a casting damage.
    6. Melee/Melee/Tank (or Tank Hybrid) - Almost no one uses tanks or tanks hybrids, as there is no real way to reliably redirect damage to a tank. However, a tank class dragon hybridized to a healer is one of the most effective uses of a hybrid healer.

Notes on Solo-Levelers: There is another class of dragon called a solo-leveler. This dragon has stats and stones similar to a farmer class dragon, but is designed for a very specific task. These dragons are meant to fight alone in The Mire (L23-24) with low level dragons instead of a high level team. They generally have stats which allow them to take hits, self heal, boost their own stats, and to use the ability "Eliminate" to kill anything in The Mire with only 1 hit. This makes them very effective at training lower level dragons without having to go into the lower level Colis. Solo-leveler dragons are not meant to be part of a team; they are the team.
Organizing Your Party

Before you can do anything else in the Coliseum, you have to choose which dragons you are going to take into the arena. There are several factors to consider when organizing your party.

Level
  • The level of the dragons in your team should be approximately equal. For most beginners, this will probably be three L1 dragons, however it's not uncommon for new players to be gifted higher level dragons.
  • A higher level dragon in a party of lower level dragons is generally detrimental. Unless you are fighting in an arena that is equal or higher to the highest level dragon, you will receive no experience points for fighting.

Elemental Flight
  • Regardless of what flight you chose to join when you signed up, you can own dragons from any other flight. You can take a dragon of any element into the Coliseum.
  • Each element has strengths over and weaknesses to other elements. Because of this, it is a good idea to include three dragons of different elements in your Coli team.
  • You can find a good guide on the strengths and weaknesses of different elements here.

Party Roles
  • Every dragon starts with a cardboard cut out specialization of talents. Some are casters, some are melee damage, some are melee defense. However, any dragon may take on any role simply by replacing the dragon's current battle stones and assigning their stats differently. More on this in the Stats and Specs section.
  • When choosing your dragons, you may still want to consider their starting roles in the interest of not having to fuss with replacing battle stones right away.
  • There are several ways in which you can compose a coli team. More on this in the Stats and Specs section.
    1. Melee/Melee/Melee - Many people choose to compose a team of three 'glass cannons' (dragons which hit hard but cannot take much damage).
    2. Melee/Melee/Melee - Many people choose to take 2 glass cannons and 1 farmer melee (a dragon whose stats allow them to self heal and take more hits, but deal less damage overall).
    3. Melee/Melee/Healer - Many people choose to include a healer over another damage class, to provide recourse from damage and sustain longer fighting streaks. The melee can be 2 glass cannons, 2 farmers, or 1 cannon and 1 farmer.
    4. Melee/Mage/Healer - Some people fight with a melee damage and a mage instead of double melee. In my experience this is a lot less effective, and I do not personally use this build ever.
    5. Melee/Melee/Mage (or Caster Hybrid) - Many people choose to hybridize their healer to a mage. In my experience this is the most effective way to use a casting damage.
    6. Melee/Melee/Tank (or Tank Hybrid) - Almost no one uses tanks or tanks hybrids, as there is no real way to reliably redirect damage to a tank. However, a tank class dragon hybridized to a healer is one of the most effective uses of a hybrid healer.

Notes on Solo-Levelers: There is another class of dragon called a solo-leveler. This dragon has stats and stones similar to a farmer class dragon, but is designed for a very specific task. These dragons are meant to fight alone in The Mire (L23-24) with low level dragons instead of a high level team. They generally have stats which allow them to take hits, self heal, boost their own stats, and to use the ability "Eliminate" to kill anything in The Mire with only 1 hit. This makes them very effective at training lower level dragons without having to go into the lower level Colis. Solo-leveler dragons are not meant to be part of a team; they are the team.
Statistics and Specializations

Statistics (stats) refers to the individual categories where talent points can be assigned. The areas to which you assign these points creates a specialization (spec) for your dragon. So let's talk about what the statistic categories are, first.

STR
  • STR is short for Strength.
  • Strength affects how hard physical attacks hit.
  • STR is the main statistic for all melee fighters.

INT
  • INT is short for Intelligence.
  • Intelligence affects how hard magical attacks hit.
  • INT is the main statistic for mages and healers.

QCK
  • QCK is short for Quickness, referring to speed.
  • QCK affects the number of turns your dragons takes, and in which order.
  • The more turns your dragon can take, the more damage or healing they can do. In this respect, QCK is very important to all types of fighters.

VIT
  • VIT is short for Vitality.
  • Vitality affects how much health your dragon has.
  • While this is important, most dragon specializations will not need a lot of VIT in order to survive even in the higher level colis.

AGI
  • AGI is short for Agility.
  • Agility affects your dragon's ability to dodge incoming attacks.
  • Agility affects how often your dragon makes critical strikes. Critical strikes can occur in melee damage, magical damage, or healing. A critical strike deals double damage/healing.
  • All types of fighters benefit from and make use of AGI.
  • Due to an effect called 'diminishing returns' and the fact that dodge and crit work via chance and percentage, agility should be prioritized below Strength/Intelligence, quickness, and vitality.

DEF
  • DEF is short for defense.
  • Defense decreases the amount of damage your dragon takes when hit with physical/melee attacks.
  • Only tanks or tank hybrids make use of this stat.

MND
  • MND is short for Mental Defense.
  • Mental Defense decreases the amount of damage your dragon takes when hit with magical attacks.

(more soon)
Statistics and Specializations

Statistics (stats) refers to the individual categories where talent points can be assigned. The areas to which you assign these points creates a specialization (spec) for your dragon. So let's talk about what the statistic categories are, first.

STR
  • STR is short for Strength.
  • Strength affects how hard physical attacks hit.
  • STR is the main statistic for all melee fighters.

INT
  • INT is short for Intelligence.
  • Intelligence affects how hard magical attacks hit.
  • INT is the main statistic for mages and healers.

QCK
  • QCK is short for Quickness, referring to speed.
  • QCK affects the number of turns your dragons takes, and in which order.
  • The more turns your dragon can take, the more damage or healing they can do. In this respect, QCK is very important to all types of fighters.

VIT
  • VIT is short for Vitality.
  • Vitality affects how much health your dragon has.
  • While this is important, most dragon specializations will not need a lot of VIT in order to survive even in the higher level colis.

AGI
  • AGI is short for Agility.
  • Agility affects your dragon's ability to dodge incoming attacks.
  • Agility affects how often your dragon makes critical strikes. Critical strikes can occur in melee damage, magical damage, or healing. A critical strike deals double damage/healing.
  • All types of fighters benefit from and make use of AGI.
  • Due to an effect called 'diminishing returns' and the fact that dodge and crit work via chance and percentage, agility should be prioritized below Strength/Intelligence, quickness, and vitality.

DEF
  • DEF is short for defense.
  • Defense decreases the amount of damage your dragon takes when hit with physical/melee attacks.

MND
  • MND is short for Mental Defense.
  • Mental Defense decreases the amount of damage your dragon takes when hit with magical attacks.

(more soon)
Battle Stones
Battle Stones
Opponents
Opponents
Loot
Loot
Fighting Style Tips