Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | How Dominance Works!
1 2

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion lately as to just how dominance is calculated, and whether smaller flights get an advantage or not, I thought I'd post this here.

Hi, I’m from Earth and I’d just like to give you a little heads-up on how the whole dominance thing works. Basically, the total number of points each flight gets (based on how many dragons are exalted and what levels) is then normalized to the number of active members in the flight (people who have signed in at least once in the past month, I believe?) This means that, as we all know, the number of “points” a flight has is dependent on both the number of exalts AND the amount of active players. What this does NOT mean is that smaller flights have an advantage.

Say Flight A has 1000 members, and, on average, 30% of all of Flight Rising does not participate in dominance. That means that 700 of Flight A’s members are actively contributing to dominance, and 300 are not.

Flight B only has 100 members. The same 30% rule applies, since we’re assuming that generally, each flight has about the same drive dominance-wise. That means that 70 of Flight B’s members are actively contributing to dominance, and 30 are not.

While 300 might seem like a lot more than 30, and it is, you gotta remember that everything is normalized to the size of the flight’s active member pool! That means that, regardless of size, it’s just as difficult to get over that 30% handicap for Flight B as it is for Flight A.

So if all 700 of Flight A’s members contributed 1 dragon, that would be 700/1000, or 70 “points” (on a scale of 100 points). If all 70 of Flight B’s members contributed 1 dragon, that would be 70/100, or the same 70 “points” (on a scale of 100 points).

It’s also just as easy or difficult for one member to contribute however many dragons. So if it costs one member from Flight A 5k per dragon, it’s also costing one member from Flight B 5k per dragon. So there isn’t any advantage there.

As to dominance raffles, well- first of all, Earth has only had what, two or three raffles in the entire existence of the site? But that aside, remember that the raffles have prizes and payouts per exalt. With a smaller number of players (and an even smaller number of players actively contributing to dominance), it’s relatively harder for Earth to get that much money to host those kinds of raffles. So raffles don’t really give an advantage to smaller flights either, although they could in theory.

Each flight gets the same number of points for the same ratio of dragons to active members, even with the handicap of people who are designated “active” but do not participate, since this handicap is about the same for each flight (and honestly, Earth actually probably has a higher percentage of “active” members who do not participate in dominance, just from what I’ve experienced. We're a lovely, laid-back bunch!)

Hope this helps!

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion lately as to just how dominance is calculated, and whether smaller flights get an advantage or not, I thought I'd post this here.

Hi, I’m from Earth and I’d just like to give you a little heads-up on how the whole dominance thing works. Basically, the total number of points each flight gets (based on how many dragons are exalted and what levels) is then normalized to the number of active members in the flight (people who have signed in at least once in the past month, I believe?) This means that, as we all know, the number of “points” a flight has is dependent on both the number of exalts AND the amount of active players. What this does NOT mean is that smaller flights have an advantage.

Say Flight A has 1000 members, and, on average, 30% of all of Flight Rising does not participate in dominance. That means that 700 of Flight A’s members are actively contributing to dominance, and 300 are not.

Flight B only has 100 members. The same 30% rule applies, since we’re assuming that generally, each flight has about the same drive dominance-wise. That means that 70 of Flight B’s members are actively contributing to dominance, and 30 are not.

While 300 might seem like a lot more than 30, and it is, you gotta remember that everything is normalized to the size of the flight’s active member pool! That means that, regardless of size, it’s just as difficult to get over that 30% handicap for Flight B as it is for Flight A.

So if all 700 of Flight A’s members contributed 1 dragon, that would be 700/1000, or 70 “points” (on a scale of 100 points). If all 70 of Flight B’s members contributed 1 dragon, that would be 70/100, or the same 70 “points” (on a scale of 100 points).

It’s also just as easy or difficult for one member to contribute however many dragons. So if it costs one member from Flight A 5k per dragon, it’s also costing one member from Flight B 5k per dragon. So there isn’t any advantage there.

As to dominance raffles, well- first of all, Earth has only had what, two or three raffles in the entire existence of the site? But that aside, remember that the raffles have prizes and payouts per exalt. With a smaller number of players (and an even smaller number of players actively contributing to dominance), it’s relatively harder for Earth to get that much money to host those kinds of raffles. So raffles don’t really give an advantage to smaller flights either, although they could in theory.

Each flight gets the same number of points for the same ratio of dragons to active members, even with the handicap of people who are designated “active” but do not participate, since this handicap is about the same for each flight (and honestly, Earth actually probably has a higher percentage of “active” members who do not participate in dominance, just from what I’ve experienced. We're a lovely, laid-back bunch!)

Hope this helps!
moj0Ael.png
Very nice explanation! This needs to be seen :'D *bump*

Edit; better ping myself as well
@Kiulani
Very nice explanation! This needs to be seen :'D *bump*

Edit; better ping myself as well
@Kiulani
Kiulani_combined_pixelbanner_art_by_dreamingcity_1.png
@aahzmatic

Because this is very helpful so I want to find it later. Thank you very much Vortex! \o/
@aahzmatic

Because this is very helpful so I want to find it later. Thank you very much Vortex! \o/
PdrVGEX.gifCX5jG7P.gif
Aw, thanks guys! I'm glad it's helped even one person ^^
Aw, thanks guys! I'm glad it's helped even one person ^^
moj0Ael.png
This should be in the guide forums, it's so helpful! :D
This should be in the guide forums, it's so helpful! :D
Puppycat.gif
Pinging my buddy @SkyHunter because he might wanna read this :3

Thank you for the guide! I also think it should be in the guide forums so that it doesn't get lost. Very valuable information for newbies, especially in the future.
Pinging my buddy @SkyHunter because he might wanna read this :3

Thank you for the guide! I also think it should be in the guide forums so that it doesn't get lost. Very valuable information for newbies, especially in the future.
Thank you all! ^^; Does anyone know how to contact a mod to move a thread? I'd be fine moving this into Guides if you guys feel that's where this should be.
Thank you all! ^^; Does anyone know how to contact a mod to move a thread? I'd be fine moving this into Guides if you guys feel that's where this should be.
moj0Ael.png
@Vortex

I can do that for you. Moved to Guides. :)
@Vortex

I can do that for you. Moved to Guides. :)

Volunteer Moderator.
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Admin and staff of Flight Rising, not the volunteer moderator group.

I am currently offline and unavailable to answer pings or messages.

@Athame, oh hey, thank you! ^^
@Athame, oh hey, thank you! ^^
moj0Ael.png
Is there a way to see current flight points? I see the ranked list, but without numbers it is impossible to know how close each flight really is to eachother.

Example:
-Fire
-Shadow
-Wind
-Earth

How much is Fire dominating by? How many points does Earth need to pass Wind in the ranking?

Thank you for your time. =)
Is there a way to see current flight points? I see the ranked list, but without numbers it is impossible to know how close each flight really is to eachother.

Example:
-Fire
-Shadow
-Wind
-Earth

How much is Fire dominating by? How many points does Earth need to pass Wind in the ranking?

Thank you for your time. =)
1 2