Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | G&G Training - Discussion Thread
1 2 3 4 5 6
WE'RE OPEN NOW!!

I'm subscribed!

I'm leaving this thread up as a way to communicate with Trainers, Students, and potential Trainers. As well as just general discussion of course.

So after reading through a few of the current Glimmer and Gloom threads an idea struck me. I wanted to run it by y'all to see if anyone though it was worth pursuing

So I know how to play G&G. Specifically, I know how to play 2 different methods of G&G. One on hard mode and one on very hard mode.

A lot of people seem to struggle with grasping the game. This game specifically benefits from SEEING it done rather than textual explanations, imo. That's why I think the youtube videos get tossed around a lot. But even with videos it can be difficult since they don't stop or pause or answer specific questions that users might have since they're not realtime.

So what if there were a service (I imagine it would be in items for sale? That's where other "services" go) that would allow users to get together to teach each other how to play?

Specifically through the sharing of screens via programs like Discord, Skype, Join me, etc. The potential for voice chat is also there to help with direct instruction and questions - But I wouldn't imagine it be mandatory or necessary since that would probably chase away potential students.

I've seen people offer screen sharing and the like in various forums and it usually ends with improvement or at least a better grasp of game mechanics if not an outright understanding of one of the winning strategies.

So what do y'all think? I'm at the end of my work day here in about an hour. So nothing concrete will happen until I get some sleep. But I wanted to see if the people having issues with G&G would be up for the idea... as well as seeing if there was anyone else interested in becoming a 'teacher' or 'trainer' or w/e we're calling it.Since I imagine people would probably be interested to learn other methods then the 2 I know. Since there are like... a lot.

Which also brings up that this wouldn't be souly for newbies or those still struggling with G&G. People who understand the game mechanics but want/need help learning one of the other methods would benefit too I imagine.

Either way, Like I said - I wanted to gauge interest before I went off on a coding spree for a shop (technically) that wouldn't ever get used.
WE'RE OPEN NOW!!

I'm subscribed!

I'm leaving this thread up as a way to communicate with Trainers, Students, and potential Trainers. As well as just general discussion of course.

So after reading through a few of the current Glimmer and Gloom threads an idea struck me. I wanted to run it by y'all to see if anyone though it was worth pursuing

So I know how to play G&G. Specifically, I know how to play 2 different methods of G&G. One on hard mode and one on very hard mode.

A lot of people seem to struggle with grasping the game. This game specifically benefits from SEEING it done rather than textual explanations, imo. That's why I think the youtube videos get tossed around a lot. But even with videos it can be difficult since they don't stop or pause or answer specific questions that users might have since they're not realtime.

So what if there were a service (I imagine it would be in items for sale? That's where other "services" go) that would allow users to get together to teach each other how to play?

Specifically through the sharing of screens via programs like Discord, Skype, Join me, etc. The potential for voice chat is also there to help with direct instruction and questions - But I wouldn't imagine it be mandatory or necessary since that would probably chase away potential students.

I've seen people offer screen sharing and the like in various forums and it usually ends with improvement or at least a better grasp of game mechanics if not an outright understanding of one of the winning strategies.

So what do y'all think? I'm at the end of my work day here in about an hour. So nothing concrete will happen until I get some sleep. But I wanted to see if the people having issues with G&G would be up for the idea... as well as seeing if there was anyone else interested in becoming a 'teacher' or 'trainer' or w/e we're calling it.Since I imagine people would probably be interested to learn other methods then the 2 I know. Since there are like... a lot.

Which also brings up that this wouldn't be souly for newbies or those still struggling with G&G. People who understand the game mechanics but want/need help learning one of the other methods would benefit too I imagine.

Either way, Like I said - I wanted to gauge interest before I went off on a coding spree for a shop (technically) that wouldn't ever get used.
IT7iTv8.png
@alphasobek I was one of those people who just couldn't grasp how G&G works. All guides seemed too complicated, but then I found a guide that finally made it clear for me. I'm able to solve hard mode no problem! So, I would be interested in becoming a teacher, if you decide to make this a thing.
@alphasobek I was one of those people who just couldn't grasp how G&G works. All guides seemed too complicated, but then I found a guide that finally made it clear for me. I'm able to solve hard mode no problem! So, I would be interested in becoming a teacher, if you decide to make this a thing.
WBsJuD1.pngiQrvnPv.pngfvfrO0T.pngg2TOb2t.pngzy5WGDV.png
@Cataclasm

Awesome!

I don't have anything specific planned but I was thinking of working sorta in tandum with @/Chatoyant's solution guide. If only just to say what teachers were able to teach what methods. That and so many people tend swear by one of the top methods and try to send people to the guide anyway with their method in mind - so I imagine there would be a bit of cross-play there.

Then again that guide includes methods for easy and other non-lucrative (at least comparatively) methods.

Do you think it would be worth including those methods or just the larger scale methods?

Again I wont be sure how it'll be set up until I start messing with coding and seeing how things look. So it might not even be a concern once I start looking at layouts. But I'm interested to know your thoughts either way!
@Cataclasm

Awesome!

I don't have anything specific planned but I was thinking of working sorta in tandum with @/Chatoyant's solution guide. If only just to say what teachers were able to teach what methods. That and so many people tend swear by one of the top methods and try to send people to the guide anyway with their method in mind - so I imagine there would be a bit of cross-play there.

Then again that guide includes methods for easy and other non-lucrative (at least comparatively) methods.

Do you think it would be worth including those methods or just the larger scale methods?

Again I wont be sure how it'll be set up until I start messing with coding and seeing how things look. So it might not even be a concern once I start looking at layouts. But I'm interested to know your thoughts either way!
IT7iTv8.png
@alphasobek I swear by paladingineer's guide that has solutions for hard and very hard mode. I haven't quite gotten to very hard mode, but it's super easy to understand their instructions for hard mode!
I can imagine that people would just link someone the guides, which is their right to do so. I mean, the guides definitely took time to make, so I understand completely. But as you said, some people are more visual learners than anything.

As for including solutions for easy and medium difficulty puzzles, I dont think its necessary to be frank, seein as most people probably want to make profit from playing
@alphasobek I swear by paladingineer's guide that has solutions for hard and very hard mode. I haven't quite gotten to very hard mode, but it's super easy to understand their instructions for hard mode!
I can imagine that people would just link someone the guides, which is their right to do so. I mean, the guides definitely took time to make, so I understand completely. But as you said, some people are more visual learners than anything.

As for including solutions for easy and medium difficulty puzzles, I dont think its necessary to be frank, seein as most people probably want to make profit from playing
I used the guide of-"Earn 75kt in 30 minutes or less." Haha:3
Pretty confusing but got the hang of it.
I used the guide of-"Earn 75kt in 30 minutes or less." Haha:3
Pretty confusing but got the hang of it.
@AlphaSobek

I would love to be a trainer for hard mode - with the caveat that I don't really use any offsite screen-sharing or video services. But if there are any students who'd prefer to keep it on-site, I'd be happy to walk them through the steps and answer questions via forum or PM, including trading screencaps via imgur or whatnot.

(At one point I boiled my favorite method from Chatoyant's guide down to the three basic steps, so that's what I usually link to.)
@AlphaSobek

I would love to be a trainer for hard mode - with the caveat that I don't really use any offsite screen-sharing or video services. But if there are any students who'd prefer to keep it on-site, I'd be happy to walk them through the steps and answer questions via forum or PM, including trading screencaps via imgur or whatnot.

(At one point I boiled my favorite method from Chatoyant's guide down to the three basic steps, so that's what I usually link to.)
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
@Cataclasm

I actually use another one of Paladin's guides. Although it's no the hard mode they have, it was an older one with the same idea. Before I used that one though I used the very hard mode one that they talk about - So I can def see those two being big

@Lara8

Awesome!

I know there will be some people who either are too offput by the idea of voice/screensharing that we would potentially lose people to the idea. So having people capable and wanting to keep it on-site would be fantastic!

@Grow

I've seen that guide but honestly I don't trust myself to be able to memorize that pattern, ha. But that would be the point I guess of having multiple teachers! Even for people like me who know 2 methods but sorta go "Oh gosh what is that" to ones I've never tinkered with before. Good for both groups!

But either way thank you all! I'll try to start putting something together later today if I can - with the holiday coming up who knows how much I can do but I'll see about at least starting it up!

(Although, side note, anyone can obviously go ahead and start or let me know if they want to take the reigns on this one. I'm obviously up for doing it but it would be my first big forum management thing so if anyone more experienced is interested shoot me a hollar and we'll talk! (or just do it, I don't own the idea, lol))
@Cataclasm

I actually use another one of Paladin's guides. Although it's no the hard mode they have, it was an older one with the same idea. Before I used that one though I used the very hard mode one that they talk about - So I can def see those two being big

@Lara8

Awesome!

I know there will be some people who either are too offput by the idea of voice/screensharing that we would potentially lose people to the idea. So having people capable and wanting to keep it on-site would be fantastic!

@Grow

I've seen that guide but honestly I don't trust myself to be able to memorize that pattern, ha. But that would be the point I guess of having multiple teachers! Even for people like me who know 2 methods but sorta go "Oh gosh what is that" to ones I've never tinkered with before. Good for both groups!

But either way thank you all! I'll try to start putting something together later today if I can - with the holiday coming up who knows how much I can do but I'll see about at least starting it up!

(Although, side note, anyone can obviously go ahead and start or let me know if they want to take the reigns on this one. I'm obviously up for doing it but it would be my first big forum management thing so if anyone more experienced is interested shoot me a hollar and we'll talk! (or just do it, I don't own the idea, lol))
IT7iTv8.png
@alphasobek I have some experience running a training service, and coding things to make 'em look fancy, so if you'd like, I can help you with that or something
@alphasobek I have some experience running a training service, and coding things to make 'em look fancy, so if you'd like, I can help you with that or something
[img]http://i.imgur.com/7xmmeMg.png[/img] [color=7930b5]Oh man, I'd definitely be interested in seeing this! ...unfortunately, I don't have Skype or Discord... But if there was, say, a live stream on YouTube with a comment section, I could probably do that? This sounds like it would be SO helpful, though. Thank you for offering to start one, and good luck with it!
7xmmeMg.png
Oh man, I'd definitely be interested in seeing this! ...unfortunately, I don't have Skype or Discord... But if there was, say, a live stream on YouTube with a comment section, I could probably do that?
This sounds like it would be SO helpful, though. Thank you for offering to start one, and good luck with it!
TdnNRLI.png o6Tbf9W.png
WavAI.gif
U4KQjwE.gife.png
They/Them

Wishlist

7YNarK2.gif
scribblesisonlydoodling.gif
@Cataclasm

If you wanted to go ahead and set it up that would be fine with me! I'm headed to bed myself right now and I work the rest 'a this week (nights) so I could potentially toss something together in the next couple of days if I get to distracted tonight (my one night off this week, ha)

But if you're eager to get it going then by all means I certainly wouldn't mind!

I had a few ideas for separating out teachers based on the particular method they use as well as how they're available to teach. Be it skype, discord, other free screen-sharing sites (idk if join me is still a thing but it's just a website that you can share screens with... I also think this would technically work on rabbit browser... not sure)

We could label methods via the various guides, using Chatoyant when a published guide isn't available. Multiple teachers could be listed under multiple guides/methods, etc etc.

The real kicker here seems to be organization. I mean I could toss up a quick mess of fancy code and it's no secret I type way to much but setting up the groups, organizing who goes where and teaches what - with what programs, etc seems like the big deal part 'a the plan. We've got a small handful of teachers atm but I imagine if that list grows it could get pretty complex.

Again, I'm all for sitting down and hashing it out but I know myself and I know I'm probably going to spend the majority of my awake time today goofing off since it's my one day off before holidays and work - but at the same time I'm excited to see this go somewhere. So if you wanted to toss stuff together and either host it yourself or toss me the code if you don't want the burden of management then I'm all for it!

Going based of general rule everyone involved will get credit for everything they've done, obviously enough. So no matter who builds the boat I'm sure we're all excited to set sail... if that analogy works... I'm tired, ha.

This goes for anyone else interested, btw! Just make sure to hash it out. Don't want anyone stepping on anyone's toes in all the hubub

Another side note. I imagine this would be a PWYW style if ANY payment style at all... I'm basically just guessing at it's placement in the Items for Sale forum because that's generally where services go. Like coli training and... other services... I don't go onto that forum much, whoops. But I know it's where those things go. So I assumed it worked there... but it's all guess work really on my end. I'm happy to share the idea and glad people are into it... not so good at the actual implementation as it were, ha.

Either way I'm headed off so good luck with whatever you end up doing! I'll check back in after some sleep and if I don't immediately get pulled into the goof zone I'll see about joining in the fun here!
@Cataclasm

If you wanted to go ahead and set it up that would be fine with me! I'm headed to bed myself right now and I work the rest 'a this week (nights) so I could potentially toss something together in the next couple of days if I get to distracted tonight (my one night off this week, ha)

But if you're eager to get it going then by all means I certainly wouldn't mind!

I had a few ideas for separating out teachers based on the particular method they use as well as how they're available to teach. Be it skype, discord, other free screen-sharing sites (idk if join me is still a thing but it's just a website that you can share screens with... I also think this would technically work on rabbit browser... not sure)

We could label methods via the various guides, using Chatoyant when a published guide isn't available. Multiple teachers could be listed under multiple guides/methods, etc etc.

The real kicker here seems to be organization. I mean I could toss up a quick mess of fancy code and it's no secret I type way to much but setting up the groups, organizing who goes where and teaches what - with what programs, etc seems like the big deal part 'a the plan. We've got a small handful of teachers atm but I imagine if that list grows it could get pretty complex.

Again, I'm all for sitting down and hashing it out but I know myself and I know I'm probably going to spend the majority of my awake time today goofing off since it's my one day off before holidays and work - but at the same time I'm excited to see this go somewhere. So if you wanted to toss stuff together and either host it yourself or toss me the code if you don't want the burden of management then I'm all for it!

Going based of general rule everyone involved will get credit for everything they've done, obviously enough. So no matter who builds the boat I'm sure we're all excited to set sail... if that analogy works... I'm tired, ha.

This goes for anyone else interested, btw! Just make sure to hash it out. Don't want anyone stepping on anyone's toes in all the hubub

Another side note. I imagine this would be a PWYW style if ANY payment style at all... I'm basically just guessing at it's placement in the Items for Sale forum because that's generally where services go. Like coli training and... other services... I don't go onto that forum much, whoops. But I know it's where those things go. So I assumed it worked there... but it's all guess work really on my end. I'm happy to share the idea and glad people are into it... not so good at the actual implementation as it were, ha.

Either way I'm headed off so good luck with whatever you end up doing! I'll check back in after some sleep and if I don't immediately get pulled into the goof zone I'll see about joining in the fun here!
IT7iTv8.png
1 2 3 4 5 6