Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why do people hate exalting???
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13
If a dragon is exalted, you would never be able to get it back. Even if you regret it later, your dragon is gone. And most people don't like when they sell dragons that they find are pretty that they just can't keep, and the other person exalts them. It makes the seller feel that they should have kept the dragon since it wasn't worthy of being removed from the site forever.

Also, the color combination could be someone's dream dragon. Finding that the only example of your dream dragon on site is exalted... yeah, it hurts.

Also, some people don't want Unnamed or "LAWNMOWER" on their offspring lists.
If a dragon is exalted, you would never be able to get it back. Even if you regret it later, your dragon is gone. And most people don't like when they sell dragons that they find are pretty that they just can't keep, and the other person exalts them. It makes the seller feel that they should have kept the dragon since it wasn't worthy of being removed from the site forever.

Also, the color combination could be someone's dream dragon. Finding that the only example of your dream dragon on site is exalted... yeah, it hurts.

Also, some people don't want Unnamed or "LAWNMOWER" on their offspring lists.
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
Because that unnamed is there. Forever. Or whatever name that person decides to give your dragon at the time. I've had to retire and exalt pairs because of names that somehow slipped through the filter.
Because that unnamed is there. Forever. Or whatever name that person decides to give your dragon at the time. I've had to retire and exalt pairs because of names that somehow slipped through the filter.
tumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gif
Okay, so as a hardcore exalter, I think there are two major myths the non-exalting crowd hasn't yet seen through (aside from the whole "exalting is death" thing, because that's an AU, not canon):

Myth 1: Exalted dragons are ugly

False. Utterly false. I've exalted some absolutely gorgeous dragons during dom battles, and have on occasion rehomed a few through my tumblr--for free, not for profit, mind you--that I thought were worth giving a third chance to. (Sorry, I was that dragon's second chance; its first was that its breeder would keep it.) Which leads to:

Myth 2: Exalted dragons are worthless

Also false. I've exalted 99% of the dragons to pass through my lair, but in not one single case have I exalted a dragon it wasn't worth it to me to exalt. Maybe I bred it a zillion times and made profit off the babies. Maybe I literally forgot how much I paid for it, but it's no longer interesting to me now and I'm going to make 5K/day off the space it's taking up. But, more likely, it was sold at fodder prices--which can fluctuate a lot during a dom battle, but nevertheless, it was at the fodder floor at the time it was bought. So honestly? I'm not the one who undervalued that dragon. The person who sold it did.

Now if that's a newbie mistake, that's one thing--I'm pretty friendly about letting people buy back their dragons outside of dom, and if I think you've listed it as a misprice, I will actively hunt you down if I'm able to, just to ask if you meant to do that. But the "just trying to give them good homes" thing doesn't pan out if it's being sold at the fodder floor, because that's not rehoming, that's Russian roulette.

Oh, and if someone is selling for fodder prices? Now that we can see food bars on the AH, if it's not 11:30 PM on a Saturday at the tail end of a dom battle, exalt trainers are a fodder seller's best friend, because ALL of their dragons are getting names. We can't put them into the coli without one, and a level one isn't worth exalting most of the time unless it was sold for pennies. That said, names should never be a problem. If unnameds bother someone, it's their responsibility to name before selling. Renaming scrolls are dirt cheap--even cheaper if your flight has dom or you buy from a dom shop. If someone really wants that dragon, they'll buy a scroll if it really bothers them or just leave the name if it's not too obnoxious. Unnamed dragons aren't even necessarily less desirable--I purposefully buy named dragons over unnamed because it's one less thing I have to do, and I can be sure the breeder must've liked it enough for it to go in their offspring list. Unnameds are totally preventable. Again, it all comes down to value. If names matter to a seller, do they think their dragon is worth 6K over the asking price? Because a permadragon would be, so just name it already. It's not like it can't be changed.

Anyway, if someone is harassing you for how you're playing the game? Use the report button. As long as you're not harassing anybody with it, that's what it's there for, and that level of obnoxiousness should be staff's problem, not yours. Just click and forget; someone else's headcanon is not worth your time.
Okay, so as a hardcore exalter, I think there are two major myths the non-exalting crowd hasn't yet seen through (aside from the whole "exalting is death" thing, because that's an AU, not canon):

Myth 1: Exalted dragons are ugly

False. Utterly false. I've exalted some absolutely gorgeous dragons during dom battles, and have on occasion rehomed a few through my tumblr--for free, not for profit, mind you--that I thought were worth giving a third chance to. (Sorry, I was that dragon's second chance; its first was that its breeder would keep it.) Which leads to:

Myth 2: Exalted dragons are worthless

Also false. I've exalted 99% of the dragons to pass through my lair, but in not one single case have I exalted a dragon it wasn't worth it to me to exalt. Maybe I bred it a zillion times and made profit off the babies. Maybe I literally forgot how much I paid for it, but it's no longer interesting to me now and I'm going to make 5K/day off the space it's taking up. But, more likely, it was sold at fodder prices--which can fluctuate a lot during a dom battle, but nevertheless, it was at the fodder floor at the time it was bought. So honestly? I'm not the one who undervalued that dragon. The person who sold it did.

Now if that's a newbie mistake, that's one thing--I'm pretty friendly about letting people buy back their dragons outside of dom, and if I think you've listed it as a misprice, I will actively hunt you down if I'm able to, just to ask if you meant to do that. But the "just trying to give them good homes" thing doesn't pan out if it's being sold at the fodder floor, because that's not rehoming, that's Russian roulette.

Oh, and if someone is selling for fodder prices? Now that we can see food bars on the AH, if it's not 11:30 PM on a Saturday at the tail end of a dom battle, exalt trainers are a fodder seller's best friend, because ALL of their dragons are getting names. We can't put them into the coli without one, and a level one isn't worth exalting most of the time unless it was sold for pennies. That said, names should never be a problem. If unnameds bother someone, it's their responsibility to name before selling. Renaming scrolls are dirt cheap--even cheaper if your flight has dom or you buy from a dom shop. If someone really wants that dragon, they'll buy a scroll if it really bothers them or just leave the name if it's not too obnoxious. Unnamed dragons aren't even necessarily less desirable--I purposefully buy named dragons over unnamed because it's one less thing I have to do, and I can be sure the breeder must've liked it enough for it to go in their offspring list. Unnameds are totally preventable. Again, it all comes down to value. If names matter to a seller, do they think their dragon is worth 6K over the asking price? Because a permadragon would be, so just name it already. It's not like it can't be changed.

Anyway, if someone is harassing you for how you're playing the game? Use the report button. As long as you're not harassing anybody with it, that's what it's there for, and that level of obnoxiousness should be staff's problem, not yours. Just click and forget; someone else's headcanon is not worth your time.
9o5YF7O.png
[quote name="MechWyrms" date=2017-09-29 18:45:55] Because that unnamed is there. Forever. Or whatever name that person decides to give your dragon at the time. I've had to retire and exalt pairs because of names that somehow slipped through the filter. [/quote] It's been a long time since I could take this sort of complaint seriously. [quote name="ciceqi" date=2017-09-29 19:10:10] Okay, so as a hardcore exalter, I think there are two major myths the non-exalting crowd hasn't yet seen through (aside from the whole "exalting is death" thing, because that's an AU, not canon): [WISE WORDS] [/quote] Very well said, the whole post. I might just have to bookmark it and point people this way when the topic comes up again. (And sadly that's a 'when', not an 'if'.)
MechWyrms wrote on 2017-09-29:

It's been a long time since I could take this sort of complaint seriously.

ciceqi wrote on 2017-09-29:

[WISE WORDS]

Very well said, the whole post. I might just have to bookmark it and point people this way when the topic comes up again. (And sadly that's a 'when', not an 'if'.)
@MechWyrms
That's why you name them yourself before selling. Unnamed is easy to avoid so there's no reason to complain, really.

@Szora
Glittermom bless you for commenting on so much here. 10/10 practically a thread moderator.

@ciceqi
Well written out! A lovely debunking.
@MechWyrms
That's why you name them yourself before selling. Unnamed is easy to avoid so there's no reason to complain, really.

@Szora
Glittermom bless you for commenting on so much here. 10/10 practically a thread moderator.

@ciceqi
Well written out! A lovely debunking.
Will he ever stop experimenting with magic? We don't know, but all the dragons he's accidentally transformed from other things don't mind so much.
33181764.pngLlewych, the light magician
[quote name="galaxygodling" date=2017-09-29 19:49:00] @Szora Glittermom bless you for commenting on so much here. 10/10 practically a thread moderator. [/quote] I just really like discussions where people debate things in detail. But then I was also the weird kid that liked writing essays in school...
galaxygodling wrote on 2017-09-29:
@Szora

I just really like discussions where people debate things in detail. But then I was also the weird kid that liked writing essays in school...
@galaxygodling Rename scrolls are cheap, you know, not to mention some people won't buy an already-named hatchling.
@galaxygodling Rename scrolls are cheap, you know, not to mention some people won't buy an already-named hatchling.
@Szora

Relatable. Essays are a fun way to prove people wrong. Or just...enjoy learning tbh. I read The God Delusion once so I could build a counter argument from a psychological standpoint about why sentient beings generally rely on religion for psychological health.

Covering the details is really the best part. Nuances in complex discussions are a joy.
@Szora

Relatable. Essays are a fun way to prove people wrong. Or just...enjoy learning tbh. I read The God Delusion once so I could build a counter argument from a psychological standpoint about why sentient beings generally rely on religion for psychological health.

Covering the details is really the best part. Nuances in complex discussions are a joy.
Will he ever stop experimenting with magic? We don't know, but all the dragons he's accidentally transformed from other things don't mind so much.
@MechWyrms

Rename scrolls being cheap is literally a reason not to be complaining. Name your dragons before you sell them and if people don't think they're worth a renaming scroll then they were going to be exalted anyway.
@MechWyrms

Rename scrolls being cheap is literally a reason not to be complaining. Name your dragons before you sell them and if people don't think they're worth a renaming scroll then they were going to be exalted anyway.
@galaxygodling I'm not "complaining" about exalting, I'm sharing my opinion.
@galaxygodling I'm not "complaining" about exalting, I'm sharing my opinion.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13