Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why do people hate exalting???
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13
Personally I love exalting. I think the lore behind it is pretty cool and it's a great mechanic to rid the site of excess dragons. Plus I make some sweet cash off of exalting so there's that.

I REALLY don't like when people try to guilt trip me into not exalting the fodder dragons I bought, however. I'm always happy to return the dragon for a refund when people ask, but you'd be surprised at the amount of PMs I receive from people who don't want me to exalt their dragons but also don't want to take them back! I'm not a dragon babysitter lol and while I understand why people don't want their dragons exalted if they also don't want them back then it's not my problem.
Personally I love exalting. I think the lore behind it is pretty cool and it's a great mechanic to rid the site of excess dragons. Plus I make some sweet cash off of exalting so there's that.

I REALLY don't like when people try to guilt trip me into not exalting the fodder dragons I bought, however. I'm always happy to return the dragon for a refund when people ask, but you'd be surprised at the amount of PMs I receive from people who don't want me to exalt their dragons but also don't want to take them back! I'm not a dragon babysitter lol and while I understand why people don't want their dragons exalted if they also don't want them back then it's not my problem.
td9UiZS.png
I want to give all dragons a second chance at having a "good future" instead of just exalting them.

(Props to whoever can guess what I referenced)
I want to give all dragons a second chance at having a "good future" instead of just exalting them.

(Props to whoever can guess what I referenced)
FR Time +3 | He/Him | I can be pretty strange at times
@galaxygodling Yeah, for the harrassment one, it's wrong. Maybe there should be more information on FR in general as a warning for sellers. I heard that sometimes newbies don't really knoe the value of their dragons, and hence put them at fodder prices. I mean, they probably want their dragons to be bought!
@galaxygodling Yeah, for the harrassment one, it's wrong. Maybe there should be more information on FR in general as a warning for sellers. I heard that sometimes newbies don't really knoe the value of their dragons, and hence put them at fodder prices. I mean, they probably want their dragons to be bought!
apagfTT.png
tumblr_njfpzkC48X1tlw9cco2_500.png

8MsS7cV.pngoNdzJAj.png
suzukiayako_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kg3c4.png
@FeatherCats Nope, not you! It was a male fae, and it was exalted quite a while back.
@FeatherCats Nope, not you! It was a male fae, and it was exalted quite a while back.
apagfTT.png
tumblr_njfpzkC48X1tlw9cco2_500.png

8MsS7cV.pngoNdzJAj.png
suzukiayako_banner_by_eyenoom-d6kg3c4.png
[quote name="Salvation" date=2017-09-29 16:36:13] @/galaxygodling Yeah, for the harrassment one, it's wrong. Maybe there should be more information on FR in general as a warning for sellers. I heard that sometimes newbies don't really knoe the value of their dragons, and hence put them at fodder prices. I mean, they probably want their dragons to be bought! [/quote] This is what I did as a newbie- stuck the triple-basic, unnamed hatchlings from my progens' first nest on the AH for 6-7 gems. They both got named before being exalted, and one of them actually sat in someone's lair for a while (I never did check to see if it was an exalting lair..), but to this day I'm still a little bummed that I didn't hang onto them and sell them to good homes. I don't personally have an issue with exalting- I think it's a genius mechanic, a great way to make profit and to keep the dragon population from overflowing. I realize this even though I'm not big into training and exalting. I do, however, see why some people would have a problem with it- if they're trying to sell a dragon to a good home, and it gets exalted, sometimes unnamed or with a joke name, I could see why that would bug them. I do notice, however, that a lot of exalting lairs offer to give dragons back to people if they don't want them to be exalted- if people checked the front pages of lairs they sold to more often they might be able to prevent unwanted exaltations. But I [b]do not[/b] think harassing someone over exalting a dragon- especially if that dragon was sold at fodder price- is okay. Not ever. Is it okay to be sad? Yes. But are these just pixelated dragons? Yes. (*covers head and runs off*) What I mean is, if you bred it once, chances are you could breed a similar dragon again, and sell it to a good home. If you don't like having dragons exalted with joke names, there's a fix for that too- name them yourself. I do that with all of my hatchlings, just in case. And exalting-lair users can be more watchful, too, checking bios and being open to selling back or swapping dragons and that sort of thing. I dunno, this is a pretty long spiel that I don't know if anyone will read, but in essence: I don't have a problem with exalting, but I believe that for those who do, there are simple fixes: Check the profiles of people you sell to, and take care to know what the fodder price is so that your dragon doesn't accidentally get bought as fodder.
Salvation wrote on 2017-09-29:
@/galaxygodling Yeah, for the harrassment one, it's wrong. Maybe there should be more information on FR in general as a warning for sellers. I heard that sometimes newbies don't really knoe the value of their dragons, and hence put them at fodder prices. I mean, they probably want their dragons to be bought!
This is what I did as a newbie- stuck the triple-basic, unnamed hatchlings from my progens' first nest on the AH for 6-7 gems. They both got named before being exalted, and one of them actually sat in someone's lair for a while (I never did check to see if it was an exalting lair..), but to this day I'm still a little bummed that I didn't hang onto them and sell them to good homes.

I don't personally have an issue with exalting- I think it's a genius mechanic, a great way to make profit and to keep the dragon population from overflowing. I realize this even though I'm not big into training and exalting.

I do, however, see why some people would have a problem with it- if they're trying to sell a dragon to a good home, and it gets exalted, sometimes unnamed or with a joke name, I could see why that would bug them. I do notice, however, that a lot of exalting lairs offer to give dragons back to people if they don't want them to be exalted- if people checked the front pages of lairs they sold to more often they might be able to prevent unwanted exaltations.

But I do not think harassing someone over exalting a dragon- especially if that dragon was sold at fodder price- is okay. Not ever. Is it okay to be sad? Yes. But are these just pixelated dragons? Yes. (*covers head and runs off*)

What I mean is, if you bred it once, chances are you could breed a similar dragon again, and sell it to a good home. If you don't like having dragons exalted with joke names, there's a fix for that too- name them yourself. I do that with all of my hatchlings, just in case. And exalting-lair users can be more watchful, too, checking bios and being open to selling back or swapping dragons and that sort of thing.

I dunno, this is a pretty long spiel that I don't know if anyone will read, but in essence: I don't have a problem with exalting, but I believe that for those who do, there are simple fixes: Check the profiles of people you sell to, and take care to know what the fodder price is so that your dragon doesn't accidentally get bought as fodder.
light.gif
Knick -- busy student -- FR+3
Just a gal tryin to gene up her kids and collect familiars, whenever schoolwork permits. I like cats, folk music, and rain. Always up for a chat!
ZwVaRtj.gif
@Salvation

ah, alright!
@Salvation

ah, alright!
tumblr_ook17xjoGx1w8izspo3_r2_250.pngA0qtRly.gif
gHesnkX.png
[quote name="Ern" date=2017-09-29 14:51:55] I'm always happy to return the dragon for a refund when people ask, but you'd be surprised at the amount of PMs I receive from people who don't want me to exalt their dragons but also don't want to take them back! I'm not a dragon babysitter lol and while I understand why people don't want their dragons exalted if they also don't want them back then it's not my problem. [/quote] How the heck do people like this even exist? I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever was contacted someone who thought the purpose of the AH was to have people pay them for the privilege of feeding their dragons, but I hope I never find out. Anyway even if exalting were officially considered death, I don't think it would slow many players down. Sornieth is locked in an eternal war, with dragons battling each other for territory and [s]slaughtering thousands of woodland animals and villagers for loot[/s] defending the world against the Shade. How do you even play a game in this setting without recognizing that sometimes, dragons will die. Presumably a bunch of the ones sent off for exalting even now would eventually be killed in battle. ...though even then, I mean, the deities obviously exist, so since when is going to a cool afterlife after having heroically sacrificed your life defending the world from a malignant alien force considered a bad thing?
Ern wrote on 2017-09-29:
I'm always happy to return the dragon for a refund when people ask, but you'd be surprised at the amount of PMs I receive from people who don't want me to exalt their dragons but also don't want to take them back! I'm not a dragon babysitter lol and while I understand why people don't want their dragons exalted if they also don't want them back then it's not my problem.

How the heck do people like this even exist? I'm not sure what I'd do if I ever was contacted someone who thought the purpose of the AH was to have people pay them for the privilege of feeding their dragons, but I hope I never find out.

Anyway even if exalting were officially considered death, I don't think it would slow many players down. Sornieth is locked in an eternal war, with dragons battling each other for territory and slaughtering thousands of woodland animals and villagers for loot defending the world against the Shade. How do you even play a game in this setting without recognizing that sometimes, dragons will die. Presumably a bunch of the ones sent off for exalting even now would eventually be killed in battle.

...though even then, I mean, the deities obviously exist, so since when is going to a cool afterlife after having heroically sacrificed your life defending the world from a malignant alien force considered a bad thing?

[quote name="DivineLush" date=2017-09-29 14:29:26]. I think some people have to much time on their hand, or not enough things to be concerned with in reality. [/quote] Missed this one, and yes, my impression is that's pretty much what it boils down to. ...of course this being a game on the internet, it's by definition a pastime for people who fit both those categories, but it's healthy to retain enough self awareness to least be able to acknowledge that, and there is such a thing as taking it too far. [quote name="Knickknacks" date=2017-09-29 16:48:25]And exalting-lair users can be more watchful, too, checking bios and being open to selling back or swapping dragons and that sort of thing. [/quote] There's no way it's feasible for people in the middle of a battle to carefully check and then wait to hear back from a seller that doesn't want a dragon exalted, and thus, really shouldn't have thrown them into the AH as fodder in the first place. Again, I know it's just a vocal few, but everyone could be spared so much drama if only people could get it through their heads that once you sell something, it's not yours anymore. Isn't this a pretty basic concept that a large portion of human civilization is based on?
DivineLush wrote on 2017-09-29:
. I think some people have to much time on their hand, or not enough things to be concerned with in reality.

Missed this one, and yes, my impression is that's pretty much what it boils down to.

...of course this being a game on the internet, it's by definition a pastime for people who fit both those categories, but it's healthy to retain enough self awareness to least be able to acknowledge that, and there is such a thing as taking it too far.

Knickknacks wrote on 2017-09-29:
And exalting-lair users can be more watchful, too, checking bios and being open to selling back or swapping dragons and that sort of thing.

There's no way it's feasible for people in the middle of a battle to carefully check and then wait to hear back from a seller that doesn't want a dragon exalted, and thus, really shouldn't have thrown them into the AH as fodder in the first place.

Again, I know it's just a vocal few, but everyone could be spared so much drama if only people could get it through their heads that once you sell something, it's not yours anymore.

Isn't this a pretty basic concept that a large portion of human civilization is based on?
I have no idea but it's annoying. No matter what the site lore says people still believe exalting is equal to killing. I never thought I'd be upset by FR but that's a sore spot for me. I mean, if people see the facts (yes facts, developed by the authors or developers of a story or a website) and dismiss them in lieu of their own non-facts, then what's left? The opinion of a person outweighs the facts? This makes no sense to me at all. It's as though an artist paints something green, says yes, they meant it to be green, and yet others say 'No! It is red! You can't tell me any different!"

Sorry. I don't understand it at all. I apologize if I upset anyone but I really wanted to get this off of my chest.

I will acquiesce that people here should play the game in any way they see fit, and if that means they believe exalting to be the same as killing then that's how they'll play. I always comply with people who don't want their dragons exalted, should I happen to acquire them during Dom, and I send them back.
I have no idea but it's annoying. No matter what the site lore says people still believe exalting is equal to killing. I never thought I'd be upset by FR but that's a sore spot for me. I mean, if people see the facts (yes facts, developed by the authors or developers of a story or a website) and dismiss them in lieu of their own non-facts, then what's left? The opinion of a person outweighs the facts? This makes no sense to me at all. It's as though an artist paints something green, says yes, they meant it to be green, and yet others say 'No! It is red! You can't tell me any different!"

Sorry. I don't understand it at all. I apologize if I upset anyone but I really wanted to get this off of my chest.

I will acquiesce that people here should play the game in any way they see fit, and if that means they believe exalting to be the same as killing then that's how they'll play. I always comply with people who don't want their dragons exalted, should I happen to acquire them during Dom, and I send them back.
Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
[quote name="Geisterwolf" date=2017-09-29 17:54:52] I have no idea but it's annoying. No matter what the site lore says people still believe exalting is equal to killing. I never thought I'd be upset by FR but that's a sore spot for me. I mean, if people see the facts (yes facts, developed by the authors or developers of a story or a website) and dismiss them in lieu of their own non-facts, then what's left? The opinion of a person outweighs the facts? This makes no sense to me at all. It's as though an artist paints something green, says yes, they meant it to be green, and yet others say 'No! It is red! You can't tell me any different!" [/quote] Well it's already kind of an accepted thing that people's personal lore for their own dragons takes precedence over anything official. Most people don't stick with what the site says for a lot of species quirks and behaviors, for instance. But then it just makes me wonder why anyone would decide on lore that obviously upsets them. There have been times I've treated exalting as death, and there's times I've treated it as the dragon simply leaving the clan for their own reasons. In both cases and anything in between it was because that was my preferred end for them. With a dragon I care about, I'll always exalt, because that's a best of both worlds scenario of them being out of my lair, but still my dragon.
Geisterwolf wrote on 2017-09-29:

Well it's already kind of an accepted thing that people's personal lore for their own dragons takes precedence over anything official. Most people don't stick with what the site says for a lot of species quirks and behaviors, for instance. But then it just makes me wonder why anyone would decide on lore that obviously upsets them.

There have been times I've treated exalting as death, and there's times I've treated it as the dragon simply leaving the clan for their own reasons. In both cases and anything in between it was because that was my preferred end for them. With a dragon I care about, I'll always exalt, because that's a best of both worlds scenario of them being out of my lair, but still my dragon.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 13