Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [DOM] PvW: Special Serial Story!
1 2 3 4 5 6
[center][size=7][b]THEY CALL ME ADVENTURE[/b][/size] [size=4][i]A True Tale of Excitement and Terror in the Sea of A Thousand Currents[/i][/size][/center] [center]~*~*~*~*~[/center] [b]You are reading a lovely book peacefully in your favorite, cozy nook of your clan’s lair.[/b] It’s so much fun to peer at the funny scribbles and make up your own stories to them; you think the previous inhabitants of Sornieth must have been very imaginative. [i]“Hello, Sornieth!”[/i] You jerk out of your lazy sprawl in surprise. It is not a voice you know; moreover, it is in Draconic Common (the [i]lingua franca[/i] used by all Flights to speak with non-Flight dragons); and it is also not coming from any discernable source. It sounds like it could be monotone and fae, but the quality of the sound isn’t good enough for you to make a definitive identification. [i]“This is Captain Solace of the good submersible [/i]Patooter--” Crackling noises overlaying a sort of deep [i]whoosh[/i] interrupt the words. [i]“YOU’RE NOT…”[/i] is heard faintly through the noise, followed by [i]“...THIS IS [/i]MY[i] SUBMARINE, YOU…”[/i] Sounds of things being thrown around add a muted, unhelpful clanging to the noise. You’ve finally located the source-- it’s a small brown box, patterned like wood grain (though it doesn’t feel like wood at all), with a gleaming curved glass on one side and some slender silver wires tilting awkwardly in forlorn dilapidation. The back-- the side opposite the glowing glass part-- hums with the faint, pink glow of magic. It’s one of your clanmates’ treasures, but you’ve never seen it do the glowy thing before. The glimmering white-gray-black (the colors are moving like clouds of little bugs; you’re feeling a bit nauseated) glass fritzes suddenly in an identifiable pattern, and then the white-gray-black shifts to orangey reds and resolves into the (slightly fuzzy) image of a fae dragon. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/169809/16980858_350.png[/img] [size=2][s]Captain[/s] First Mate Solace[/size][/center] She continues in true fae monotone and sound quality that is significantly improved. [i]“This is First Mate Solace, of the good submersible[/i] Patooter, [i]establishing communication with all of Sornieth,”[/i] she announces. [i]“We are members of the Plague Flight, on a mission--”[/i] Abruptly, she cuts herself off and darts off-screen and out of the way of something large that zooms through the previously-occupied space and thumps into the wall as someone curses spectacularly in singsong Draconic Plague (you assume. It could be another language altogether, for all you know). A disgruntled white-and-brown coatl appears on screen. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/260/25963_350.png[/img] [size=2]The Real Captain Adama[/size][/center] [i]”This is Captain Adama speaking,”[/i] he announces. It sounds like he’s attempting to be curt, but the wild fluctuation of pitch that accents his words makes it difficult to tell. [i]“We are members of the Plague Flight, selected for an important mission to learn something that many of our Flight have been thinking deeply upon and hold dear to our hearts: are we Plague Flight dragons as terrible as many of our fellow Sorniethians appear to believe? Are we truly twisted and vile, depraved and honorless, unclean, unkempt, untrustworthy--”[/i] [i]“Get on with it,”[/i] First Mate Solace interrupts loudly, hovering back within sight behind the Captain. [i]“There’s no need for all this dramatic flourish.”[/i] [i]“--must life be different for we Plague dragons? Is our culture and values so at odds with the remainder of Sornieth?”[/i] Captain Adama paused, but not because of the First Mate’s words: everyone knows that fae monotone is utterly incomprehensible to tonal-based coatl hearing. It was probably just an affected pause. [i]“Thus, we commence a journey almost of self-discovery, or possibly enlightenment as to the draconic condition…”[/i] This time, the fae thumped herself audibly into the coatl’s periscoping head to interrupt him, and succeeded in knocking him out of the image. [i]“We’re diving into the deep sea surrounding the Tidelord’s palace in search of escaped prophecy bubbles, guided by a non-dragon native of the Sea of A Thousand Currents,”[/i] she informs you directly over the Captain’s cursing, and holds up a piece of paper. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/Dg8QeBD.png[/img] [size=2]The good guide Space Oddity[/size][/center] The sketch is whisked out of sight after a few seconds; First Mate Solace continues her explanation. [i]“We are broadcasting our journey and our discoveries to the entirety of Sornieth, as we deem it of incredible importance to all dragons, and not just fellow creations of the Plaguebringer.”[/i] [center]To be continued! ~*~*~*~*~[/center] [b]Hello, and welcome, everyone![/b] This is a small side-story to Plague’s conquest efforts, a little something we can all enjoy as the week progresses. Each day, our daring duo will share the new bubbles of prophecy they discover (courtesy of many fabulous Plague artists!) and attempt to interpret their meanings. Feel free to offer your own, too-- our bold explorers are sharing their journey not only to inform Sornieth of their discoveries, they also seek to learn what they may not be able to comprehend by themselves by soliciting others’ interpretations! Prophecy is always so reliably obtuse they know there is a significant chance to misunderstand the true nature of what they see. [center][b]Ship’s Log:[/b] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/1#post_21838845]Log #1[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/2#post_21858046]Log #2[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/4#post_21882255]Log #3[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/5#post_21900802]Log #4[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/5#post_21912154]Log #5[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/6#post_21938338]Log #6[/url] [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1943054/6#post_21955474]Log #7[/url][/center] ----- [center]Pinglist for updates: @/Fantelle @/mnkn10 @/Shadowfeathers @/StormPetrel @/porl @/Oricole @/KitalphaHart [/center]
THEY CALL ME ADVENTURE
A True Tale of Excitement and Terror in the Sea of A Thousand Currents

~*~*~*~*~

You are reading a lovely book peacefully in your favorite, cozy nook of your clan’s lair. It’s so much fun to peer at the funny scribbles and make up your own stories to them; you think the previous inhabitants of Sornieth must have been very imaginative.

“Hello, Sornieth!” You jerk out of your lazy sprawl in surprise. It is not a voice you know; moreover, it is in Draconic Common (the lingua franca used by all Flights to speak with non-Flight dragons); and it is also not coming from any discernable source. It sounds like it could be monotone and fae, but the quality of the sound isn’t good enough for you to make a definitive identification. “This is Captain Solace of the good submersible Patooter--”

Crackling noises overlaying a sort of deep whoosh interrupt the words. “YOU’RE NOT…” is heard faintly through the noise, followed by “...THIS IS MY SUBMARINE, YOU…” Sounds of things being thrown around add a muted, unhelpful clanging to the noise.

You’ve finally located the source-- it’s a small brown box, patterned like wood grain (though it doesn’t feel like wood at all), with a gleaming curved glass on one side and some slender silver wires tilting awkwardly in forlorn dilapidation. The back-- the side opposite the glowing glass part-- hums with the faint, pink glow of magic. It’s one of your clanmates’ treasures, but you’ve never seen it do the glowy thing before.

The glimmering white-gray-black (the colors are moving like clouds of little bugs; you’re feeling a bit nauseated) glass fritzes suddenly in an identifiable pattern, and then the white-gray-black shifts to orangey reds and resolves into the (slightly fuzzy) image of a fae dragon.
16980858_350.png
Captain First Mate Solace

She continues in true fae monotone and sound quality that is significantly improved. “This is First Mate Solace, of the good submersible Patooter, establishing communication with all of Sornieth,” she announces. “We are members of the Plague Flight, on a mission--” Abruptly, she cuts herself off and darts off-screen and out of the way of something large that zooms through the previously-occupied space and thumps into the wall as someone curses spectacularly in singsong Draconic Plague (you assume. It could be another language altogether, for all you know).

A disgruntled white-and-brown coatl appears on screen.
25963_350.png
The Real Captain Adama

”This is Captain Adama speaking,” he announces. It sounds like he’s attempting to be curt, but the wild fluctuation of pitch that accents his words makes it difficult to tell. “We are members of the Plague Flight, selected for an important mission to learn something that many of our Flight have been thinking deeply upon and hold dear to our hearts: are we Plague Flight dragons as terrible as many of our fellow Sorniethians appear to believe? Are we truly twisted and vile, depraved and honorless, unclean, unkempt, untrustworthy--”

“Get on with it,” First Mate Solace interrupts loudly, hovering back within sight behind the Captain. “There’s no need for all this dramatic flourish.”

“--must life be different for we Plague dragons? Is our culture and values so at odds with the remainder of Sornieth?” Captain Adama paused, but not because of the First Mate’s words: everyone knows that fae monotone is utterly incomprehensible to tonal-based coatl hearing. It was probably just an affected pause. “Thus, we commence a journey almost of self-discovery, or possibly enlightenment as to the draconic condition…”

This time, the fae thumped herself audibly into the coatl’s periscoping head to interrupt him, and succeeded in knocking him out of the image. “We’re diving into the deep sea surrounding the Tidelord’s palace in search of escaped prophecy bubbles, guided by a non-dragon native of the Sea of A Thousand Currents,” she informs you directly over the Captain’s cursing, and holds up a piece of paper.
Dg8QeBD.png
The good guide Space Oddity

The sketch is whisked out of sight after a few seconds; First Mate Solace continues her explanation. “We are broadcasting our journey and our discoveries to the entirety of Sornieth, as we deem it of incredible importance to all dragons, and not just fellow creations of the Plaguebringer.”
To be continued!

~*~*~*~*~

Hello, and welcome, everyone! This is a small side-story to Plague’s conquest efforts, a little something we can all enjoy as the week progresses. Each day, our daring duo will share the new bubbles of prophecy they discover (courtesy of many fabulous Plague artists!) and attempt to interpret their meanings. Feel free to offer your own, too-- our bold explorers are sharing their journey not only to inform Sornieth of their discoveries, they also seek to learn what they may not be able to comprehend by themselves by soliciting others’ interpretations! Prophecy is always so reliably obtuse they know there is a significant chance to misunderstand the true nature of what they see.

Pinglist for updates:
@/Fantelle
@/mnkn10
@/Shadowfeathers
@/StormPetrel
@/porl
@/Oricole
@/KitalphaHart
Compass.gif
CREDITS:

First Mate Solace owned by BilbroSwaggins
Captain Adama owned by kalhalla
Space Oddity drawn by KyraG
Stellar prophetic artists (in order of appearance): @Essynkardi, @LittleRogue, @proxima, @fibs, @zonemod, @oneiir, @Triibu, @Rochester, @Fantelle, @Shadowfeathers, @spacegrump, @porl, @makea0824, @Abbath, @CanisMajoris, @princessponies81
Writing by BilbroSwaggins
Organized, coordinated, and run by Rainbow Squad members kalhalla and BilbroSwaggins

CREDITS:

First Mate Solace owned by BilbroSwaggins
Captain Adama owned by kalhalla
Space Oddity drawn by KyraG
Stellar prophetic artists (in order of appearance): @Essynkardi, @LittleRogue, @proxima, @fibs, @zonemod, @oneiir, @Triibu, @Rochester, @Fantelle, @Shadowfeathers, @spacegrump, @porl, @makea0824, @Abbath, @CanisMajoris, @princessponies81
Writing by BilbroSwaggins
Organized, coordinated, and run by Rainbow Squad members kalhalla and BilbroSwaggins

Compass.gif
What wonders will we discover?!
What wonders will we discover?!
wzRAAhQ.png
[center][size=5][b]Ship’s Log: First Entry[/b][/size][/center] [b]You were not sure what to make of the previous day’s spectacle,[/b] but you found yourself intrigued, nonetheless. Your clanmates teased you a while about hallucinating fantastical things, and also for carrying the strange box around with you everywhere you went for the next day, but you know what you saw! Your tenacity is rewarded when a high-pitched keening and the familiar rushing whoosh suddenly sound, once more startling you upright. You arrange yourself into the perfect position for watching the box’s glass view as light flickers behind it and slowly resolves into the coatl Captain. [i]“This is Captain Adama speaking,”[/i] the dragon whistle-announces. Somewhere behind him, you hear rhythmic thumping punctuated by scuffling every so often. [i]“Today’s efforts have resulted in a number of prophetic bubbles, shown here, live, to you now!”[/i] The view changes. The glass goes dark for a moment, and then is wholly focused on this: [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/cijDRnK.png[/img] [size=2]Created by @Essynkardi![/size][/center] [i]“Initially, we were not certain what this prophecy meant,”[/i] Captain Adama said, still audible, though the image on the screen was not him. [i]“Our best guess is that the Arcanist is an idiot, but we also don’t understand what he’s doing, truthfully…”[/i] The image flickers back to the Captain for a brief moment. He’s looking at something behind him-- the thump-scuffle seems a bit louder, now-- before he turns back around and the image changes again. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/rqkIMPS.png [/img] [size=2]Created by @LittleRogue![/size][/center] [i]“This is obviously a depiction of the Windsinger and our own Plaguebringer,”[/i] Captain Adama said. Your jaw drops. [i]“I am of the opinion that he seeks to gain her favor with aerial displays; see how she looks at him from the side? A classic strategy in flirtation. The Flamecaller also appears, represented symbolically in the form of the background volcano. Her simmering lava indicates her banked pleasure in this outcome, though her reasons are unclear.”[/i] ...you find yourself wondering for the first time if this is actually a joke, and whether your clanmates weren’t wrong about the hallucination thing. The Windsinger and the Plaguebringer? Really??? The next image to appear silences your doubts. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/SS63y96.png[/img] [size=2]Created by @proxima![/size][/center] Captain Adama is silent for a long moment once the image gains clarity, and has a queer note in his speech when he finally speaks. [i]“This prophecy is clearly an image of a moment of tranquil existence for a Plague dragon,”[/i] he says, and makes a harrumphing noise as though to clear his throat. You don’t blame him; the image moves you nearly to tears. [i]“However, the red water has the appearance of blood, and it is only there that one sees fish floating on the surface. Perhaps a vision of the outcome of the ongoing Dominance struggle between the Plague and Water Flights? Or perhaps a glimpse into the true nature of Plague-- that of dragons, filled with grace and at peace amidst death? No,”[/i] he said, immediately contradicting himself firmly. [i]“I can’t think such a love of battle gore is intrinsic in our Flight.” [/i] You sigh, feeling strangely melancholy. The mood is swept away with the appearance of the next prophetic image, though. [center][img]http://i.imgur.com/Mfbk66c.gif[/img] [size=2]Created by @fibs![/size][/center] [i]“This is the last prophecy we collected during this day, and… oh my.”[/i] The coatl sounds perturbed. [i]“Is… is this age-appropriate for younger viewers? I don’t think I’m comfortable displaying this to all of Sornieth.”[/i] The image winks out abruptly to black for a moment, and then the image is again of Captain Adama in his submersible. Perhaps it is because he looks so flustered, but you notice that in the background, there is a small, wriggling sack. A small, wriggling sack with an orange tail... [i]“There you have it,”[/i] he says briskly, pulling your attention back on him with his bizarre balance between pompous and sombre. [i]“If you disagree or come to an alternate conclusion of the prophecies collected today, please record your thoughts to submit to us upon our return! We will of course continue our analyses once this journey is completed, and every valuable insight would be most welcome. “This is Captain Adama, signing off!”[/i] And right before the glass goes black, there is the brief sight of a very angry fae ripping through the seams of a burlap bag. [center]~*~*~*~*~ [b]To be continued![/b] Thanks for reading-- see you all tomorrow![/center]
Ship’s Log: First Entry

You were not sure what to make of the previous day’s spectacle, but you found yourself intrigued, nonetheless. Your clanmates teased you a while about hallucinating fantastical things, and also for carrying the strange box around with you everywhere you went for the next day, but you know what you saw!

Your tenacity is rewarded when a high-pitched keening and the familiar rushing whoosh suddenly sound, once more startling you upright. You arrange yourself into the perfect position for watching the box’s glass view as light flickers behind it and slowly resolves into the coatl Captain.

“This is Captain Adama speaking,” the dragon whistle-announces. Somewhere behind him, you hear rhythmic thumping punctuated by scuffling every so often. “Today’s efforts have resulted in a number of prophetic bubbles, shown here, live, to you now!”

The view changes. The glass goes dark for a moment, and then is wholly focused on this:

cijDRnK.png
Created by @Essynkardi!

“Initially, we were not certain what this prophecy meant,” Captain Adama said, still audible, though the image on the screen was not him. “Our best guess is that the Arcanist is an idiot, but we also don’t understand what he’s doing, truthfully…”

The image flickers back to the Captain for a brief moment. He’s looking at something behind him-- the thump-scuffle seems a bit louder, now-- before he turns back around and the image changes again.

rqkIMPS.png
Created by @LittleRogue!

“This is obviously a depiction of the Windsinger and our own Plaguebringer,” Captain Adama said.

Your jaw drops.

“I am of the opinion that he seeks to gain her favor with aerial displays; see how she looks at him from the side? A classic strategy in flirtation. The Flamecaller also appears, represented symbolically in the form of the background volcano. Her simmering lava indicates her banked pleasure in this outcome, though her reasons are unclear.”

...you find yourself wondering for the first time if this is actually a joke, and whether your clanmates weren’t wrong about the hallucination thing. The Windsinger and the Plaguebringer? Really???

The next image to appear silences your doubts.

SS63y96.png
Created by @proxima!

Captain Adama is silent for a long moment once the image gains clarity, and has a queer note in his speech when he finally speaks.

“This prophecy is clearly an image of a moment of tranquil existence for a Plague dragon,” he says, and makes a harrumphing noise as though to clear his throat. You don’t blame him; the image moves you nearly to tears. “However, the red water has the appearance of blood, and it is only there that one sees fish floating on the surface. Perhaps a vision of the outcome of the ongoing Dominance struggle between the Plague and Water Flights? Or perhaps a glimpse into the true nature of Plague-- that of dragons, filled with grace and at peace amidst death? No,” he said, immediately contradicting himself firmly. “I can’t think such a love of battle gore is intrinsic in our Flight.”

You sigh, feeling strangely melancholy. The mood is swept away with the appearance of the next prophetic image, though.

Mfbk66c.gif
Created by @fibs!

“This is the last prophecy we collected during this day, and… oh my.” The coatl sounds perturbed. “Is… is this age-appropriate for younger viewers? I don’t think I’m comfortable displaying this to all of Sornieth.”

The image winks out abruptly to black for a moment, and then the image is again of Captain Adama in his submersible. Perhaps it is because he looks so flustered, but you notice that in the background, there is a small, wriggling sack.

A small, wriggling sack with an orange tail...

“There you have it,” he says briskly, pulling your attention back on him with his bizarre balance between pompous and sombre. “If you disagree or come to an alternate conclusion of the prophecies collected today, please record your thoughts to submit to us upon our return! We will of course continue our analyses once this journey is completed, and every valuable insight would be most welcome.

“This is Captain Adama, signing off!”

And right before the glass goes black, there is the brief sight of a very angry fae ripping through the seams of a burlap bag.
~*~*~*~*~
To be continued! Thanks for reading-- see you all tomorrow!
wzRAAhQ.png
*hysterical laughter*

*absolute hysterical laughter*

*died*
*hysterical laughter*

*died*
sig.png 20160410115645-b8057be1.gif 4HGqDcg.png 2BMI4MI.png
i cant read my own writing

im so sorry
i cant read my own writing

im so sorry
A school of pastel-colored ASCII fish!
Oh my gosh
That first drawing I-
All of those drawings are amazing!
Oh my gosh
That first drawing I-
All of those drawings are amazing!
fNNKsmQ.gif
When fall is over and the old gods shed their skin,
I’ll tear down this house of fire
and build it up again.
@fibs

Hey! The gif is too quick for me to read fully; would you mind posting a transcript here?
@fibs

Hey! The gif is too quick for me to read fully; would you mind posting a transcript here?
FR +12
@shadowrising aaa yeah, i was afraid that it was too fast, sorry ;v; here are the still frames! [img]http://i.imgur.com/LKlE21Z.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/SiD6Bvm.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/UdsDNgM.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/LwmLRcp.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/4bJcwhv.png[/img]
@shadowrising
aaa yeah, i was afraid that it was too fast, sorry ;v; here are the still frames!
LKlE21Z.png
SiD6Bvm.png
UdsDNgM.png
LwmLRcp.png
4bJcwhv.png
A school of pastel-colored ASCII fish!
[quote name="Kyrislian" date=2016-08-07 16:43:07] *hysterical laughter* *absolute hysterical laughter* *died* [/quote] PERFECT.
Kyrislian wrote on 2016-08-07:
*hysterical laughter*

*died*

PERFECT.
PQznZys.png
1 2 3 4 5 6