Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | High School Deities
1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65
@Ayreria
Thanks for the answers about the pets! That Imp... I'm a bit frightened now. Those poor veterinarians. They must be so confused. And afraid. I would be afraid if I were them, because that just isn't natural.

Oh! Can't Snapper be really, really heavy? Like, four or five times as heavy as you expect it to be? Imagine someone trying to pick him (her?) up on that hypothetical bring your pet to school day. The confusion.

And Ayreria? "Random Fun Facts" should not include sad backstories (or facts - I didn't miss that bit about Adelbert never leaving the shop). That's just false advertising. I know that it's apparently this thread's raison d'etre to make you feel sad and want to give all the deities and other characters hugs (which is actually quite brilliant), but still... Crim! ;__; Why did you do this? Do you have any idea how weird it has felt to visit her at the trading post since I read that?

That aside, though, I really liked all the odd little details and scenes in that list! ^w^
...to be fair, I liked the thing with Crim, too (because I'm apparently just as evil as the rest of you), but it's just so sad!

EDIT: And the RUNES. The runes are amazing. You've done very well in thinking up the underlying system :3 Will the deities be using them? (Other than Archie, because I'm just going to go ahead and asiasume that he's the best with them - apart from Adelbert, that is.)

Oh, and will they have (or have any way to acquire) dragon combat abilities, such as rally, contuse, eliminate, etc.? I'm guessing some of it (probably the various shields and buffs) would involve the use of runes somehow, especially if we were to include berseker, scholar, ambush, field manual, various might, acuity and hybrid fragments and the like.
@Ayreria
Thanks for the answers about the pets! That Imp... I'm a bit frightened now. Those poor veterinarians. They must be so confused. And afraid. I would be afraid if I were them, because that just isn't natural.

Oh! Can't Snapper be really, really heavy? Like, four or five times as heavy as you expect it to be? Imagine someone trying to pick him (her?) up on that hypothetical bring your pet to school day. The confusion.

And Ayreria? "Random Fun Facts" should not include sad backstories (or facts - I didn't miss that bit about Adelbert never leaving the shop). That's just false advertising. I know that it's apparently this thread's raison d'etre to make you feel sad and want to give all the deities and other characters hugs (which is actually quite brilliant), but still... Crim! ;__; Why did you do this? Do you have any idea how weird it has felt to visit her at the trading post since I read that?

That aside, though, I really liked all the odd little details and scenes in that list! ^w^
...to be fair, I liked the thing with Crim, too (because I'm apparently just as evil as the rest of you), but it's just so sad!

EDIT: And the RUNES. The runes are amazing. You've done very well in thinking up the underlying system :3 Will the deities be using them? (Other than Archie, because I'm just going to go ahead and asiasume that he's the best with them - apart from Adelbert, that is.)

Oh, and will they have (or have any way to acquire) dragon combat abilities, such as rally, contuse, eliminate, etc.? I'm guessing some of it (probably the various shields and buffs) would involve the use of runes somehow, especially if we were to include berseker, scholar, ambush, field manual, various might, acuity and hybrid fragments and the like.
image0-2.png
Sorry for double posting, but @Steex...

THAT DIDN'T MAKE ANYTHING BETTER, YOU EVIL PERSON!!!!

I'm crying now. And it's your fault. The picture was bad enough; why, why did you have to go and make it worse?!
Sorry for double posting, but @Steex...

THAT DIDN'T MAKE ANYTHING BETTER, YOU EVIL PERSON!!!!

I'm crying now. And it's your fault. The picture was bad enough; why, why did you have to go and make it worse?!
image0-2.png
@Seadevil
If that cat ever dies, may it not be in close proximity of other dead cats.

Snapper is heavier than the average tortoise, yes. Even though it's recommended not to have glass containers for Greek Tortoises (since they'll usually try escaping), Snapper seems to like staying in its home. It walks around in set paths inside it's box, and the Hamiltons have no idea why or how it remembers them.

They were fun to me :U Then again, I'm the writer, sooooo
There must be reason why Crim keeps asking for all those eggs.
Modern Crim probably sends people to run errands a lot, like if she doesn't have time to go grocery shopping because she needs to do Price stuff.

Runes are at the base of all magic. Even dragons used them. Battlestones are gems and rocks that have the runes engraved in them since any softer material may get shredded in combat. They can only carry a limited amount since then they get too numerous to choose and use effectively. One day, I'll go start constructing rune circles and chains for each spell for the hell of it.

While normal mages and dragons need a medium for their runes, the deities, being gods, do not. Instead, their runes are either constructed mentally and projected as physical mana using their energy. The runes appear as either instant magic circles or as temporary glowing marks on their skin. Their power runs a lot more on belief than actual runes. If they want something hard enough, the runes will construct themselves as long it's within the boundaries of their power.

All the deities are restricted to using their element and neutral magic. Arcanist has more leeway on magic as:
  1. Arcane is kinda man-made, as it's the element of humanity (if you don't believe me, go look at the lore picture of the mages. What color is their magic?), so he's closer to the neutral aspect than others.
  2. There's something up with his whole reality-warping thing.
  3. Just by being the Arcanist, he has a wider knowledge or runes, their uses, and his mind constructs and remembers chains better/faster.

On a related topic, from a conversation I had on Skype with @Steex, the Aid/Regeneration spells are slightly wind-based, but is still counted as neutral. Life magic is dispersed into the air and is breathed by the injured. The magic will flow through the body and will pump primarily to damaged places (since blood tends to swell there).
Because of this, Windsinger is the best at healing. He doesn't really like the job though. The second best at healing is Plaguebringer, surprisingly, since the life magic is instead infused with the bacteria in the air that'll gather around wounds, which will also greatly reduce any risk of (harmful) infection. She doesn't really like the job either.
@Seadevil
If that cat ever dies, may it not be in close proximity of other dead cats.

Snapper is heavier than the average tortoise, yes. Even though it's recommended not to have glass containers for Greek Tortoises (since they'll usually try escaping), Snapper seems to like staying in its home. It walks around in set paths inside it's box, and the Hamiltons have no idea why or how it remembers them.

They were fun to me :U Then again, I'm the writer, sooooo
There must be reason why Crim keeps asking for all those eggs.
Modern Crim probably sends people to run errands a lot, like if she doesn't have time to go grocery shopping because she needs to do Price stuff.

Runes are at the base of all magic. Even dragons used them. Battlestones are gems and rocks that have the runes engraved in them since any softer material may get shredded in combat. They can only carry a limited amount since then they get too numerous to choose and use effectively. One day, I'll go start constructing rune circles and chains for each spell for the hell of it.

While normal mages and dragons need a medium for their runes, the deities, being gods, do not. Instead, their runes are either constructed mentally and projected as physical mana using their energy. The runes appear as either instant magic circles or as temporary glowing marks on their skin. Their power runs a lot more on belief than actual runes. If they want something hard enough, the runes will construct themselves as long it's within the boundaries of their power.

All the deities are restricted to using their element and neutral magic. Arcanist has more leeway on magic as:
  1. Arcane is kinda man-made, as it's the element of humanity (if you don't believe me, go look at the lore picture of the mages. What color is their magic?), so he's closer to the neutral aspect than others.
  2. There's something up with his whole reality-warping thing.
  3. Just by being the Arcanist, he has a wider knowledge or runes, their uses, and his mind constructs and remembers chains better/faster.

On a related topic, from a conversation I had on Skype with @Steex, the Aid/Regeneration spells are slightly wind-based, but is still counted as neutral. Life magic is dispersed into the air and is breathed by the injured. The magic will flow through the body and will pump primarily to damaged places (since blood tends to swell there).
Because of this, Windsinger is the best at healing. He doesn't really like the job though. The second best at healing is Plaguebringer, surprisingly, since the life magic is instead infused with the bacteria in the air that'll gather around wounds, which will also greatly reduce any risk of (harmful) infection. She doesn't really like the job either.
xR7ErnV.pngW6y8rmh.pngNr0CWta.png
@sugarfrost @Steex @PhoenixWarlord @Seadevil Valightine's Day Update! I have tiny cards over on this [url=http://ayreri.tumblr.com/post/111023617471/tiny-high-school-au-cards-for-the-loved-one-s-of]Tumblr post[/url]! Here's a sample: [img]https://40.media.tumblr.com/dc9e8cbfa553b6aa276c84bc95ae24e1/tumblr_njsamtDD841u4er8io5_400.png[/img] (Glitters, because I'm biased) Secondly, in line of today also being International Fanworks Day, the first chapter of [i]How to Catch a Shooting Star [/i]is up [url=http://archiveofourown.org/works/3302861]here[/url] on Archive of Our Own (AO3)!
@sugarfrost @Steex @PhoenixWarlord @Seadevil
Valightine's Day Update!

I have tiny cards over on this Tumblr post! Here's a sample:

tumblr_njsamtDD841u4er8io5_400.png

(Glitters, because I'm biased)

Secondly, in line of today also being International Fanworks Day, the first chapter of How to Catch a Shooting Star is up here on Archive of Our Own (AO3)!
xR7ErnV.pngW6y8rmh.pngNr0CWta.png
@Ayreria
ARGHLBLARGHL BLERGH
THAT'S ADORABLE
OH MY MATHER
I CAN'T
HALP
@Ayreria
ARGHLBLARGHL BLERGH
THAT'S ADORABLE
OH MY MATHER
I CAN'T
HALP
x0CMhAc.png pYAz4OB.png keychainsmallpurple_by_general_ebonrose-d9vbgfs.png zyvrj7C.png
First of all HOLY MOTHERDUCKING SHOOT LORD FUZZYLEGS the tsundere is too real and I cannot fight it I'm so sorry Tidey and Archie ;_;

*ahem* that aside, time for more headcanons. GET BACK TO WORK!

Fighting Roles

Windsinger is a Fragile Speedster who works like the team's air support. Literally. He managed to convince everyone to yell out "REINFORCEMENT!" just so he could have a legit excuse to come barreling down from the sky. They thinks it's dangerous, ineffective and borderline stupid, but he insists it's cool so they let him do it anyway.

Tidelord is a weird kind of Magic Knight... with a pointy stick. He's a mage in the sense that he casts spells a lot; Sworncliff is bordered by the sea and there are several rivers in town, so that's basically ammo everywhere for him (though said ammo might take a while to arrive; think Iron Man 3). But he's not squishy like the stereotype with most casters are. If anything, he takes delight in getting up and close and impaling stuff with extreme prejudice (to an almost creepy degree that had him get called out on several times).

Earthshaker is a Mighty Glacier; hard-hitting, but very. Very. Slow. Okay, not so much 'slow' as he is 'clumsy', but the point stands. Takes a while for him to get to his target, but once he does, expect a messy No Holds Barred Beatdown.

Flamecaller is a Lightning Bruiser, with emphasis on Lightning. She's both fast, tough to knock down and hard-hitting (EXPLOSIVE EVERYTHING). The downside to this is that she burns out (heheheh) really quickly, so she can't last very long compared to the others. In video game terms, she'd be what you call a 'clutch character'.

Stormcatcher is a Glass Cannon. He can't run around a lot thanks to his abysmal health, so he becomes a strolling machine of knife-throwing death instead. The catch is that he needs to be protected while doing his thing, although he does have the means to do it himself (instant smokescreen--ninja style!). The only one out of all Eleven who rivals Tidelord's glee in impaling things.

Icewarden is a Kung-Fu Wizard, which is exactly what it says on the tin can. His weapon of choice, a quarterstaff, allows him to do fancy martial arts while also dishing out crowd control. A non-squishy mage like Tidepotato, but the latter focuses more on offense whereas Icey himself is more of a tanky mobile support... sort of.

Lightweaver is a Magic Marksman. She stays at the back of the group constantly shooting light arrows, occasionally repositioning with her flashy blink-teleport whenever necessary. Like Stormcatcher, she needs to be protected, but her sister usually has this covered.

Shadowbinder's game board and Draconic weapons (a scimitar and an offhand dagger) allow her to both be the Beastmaster and the Cavalry. I mean, c'mon! Shady riding in on the back of a dragon is one of the coolest things ever. In battle, she can use her pieces as mounts, decoys, blitzers, meat shields, whatever she wants. Even backup dancers!

Gladekeeper is a Stone Wall. Her stature and ability to quickly regenerate (given the right conditions) as well as her persistence makes her one of the hardest things to get through. She always says she prefers using her axe defensively, but when push comes to shove going against her do-no-harm policy becomes more than acceptable.

Plaguebringer, like Mather, is a Lightning Bruiser; the difference being her emphasis on Bruiser instead. Not as fast as Mather but lasts longer, not as slow as Twerky but less durable. Definitely just as hard-hitting though. She'd be a Jack of All Stats if it weren't for how the things that don't kill her literally make her stronger (think Olaf from League of Legends).

Arcanist is, aptly, a (very) Squishy Wizard. The Squishy part rarely matters since he mostly stays at the back like Lightweaver (except he casts spells whereas she shoots arrows), but when enemies get too close... well, that's what the air support is for.
First of all HOLY MOTHERDUCKING SHOOT LORD FUZZYLEGS the tsundere is too real and I cannot fight it I'm so sorry Tidey and Archie ;_;

*ahem* that aside, time for more headcanons. GET BACK TO WORK!

Fighting Roles

Windsinger is a Fragile Speedster who works like the team's air support. Literally. He managed to convince everyone to yell out "REINFORCEMENT!" just so he could have a legit excuse to come barreling down from the sky. They thinks it's dangerous, ineffective and borderline stupid, but he insists it's cool so they let him do it anyway.

Tidelord is a weird kind of Magic Knight... with a pointy stick. He's a mage in the sense that he casts spells a lot; Sworncliff is bordered by the sea and there are several rivers in town, so that's basically ammo everywhere for him (though said ammo might take a while to arrive; think Iron Man 3). But he's not squishy like the stereotype with most casters are. If anything, he takes delight in getting up and close and impaling stuff with extreme prejudice (to an almost creepy degree that had him get called out on several times).

Earthshaker is a Mighty Glacier; hard-hitting, but very. Very. Slow. Okay, not so much 'slow' as he is 'clumsy', but the point stands. Takes a while for him to get to his target, but once he does, expect a messy No Holds Barred Beatdown.

Flamecaller is a Lightning Bruiser, with emphasis on Lightning. She's both fast, tough to knock down and hard-hitting (EXPLOSIVE EVERYTHING). The downside to this is that she burns out (heheheh) really quickly, so she can't last very long compared to the others. In video game terms, she'd be what you call a 'clutch character'.

Stormcatcher is a Glass Cannon. He can't run around a lot thanks to his abysmal health, so he becomes a strolling machine of knife-throwing death instead. The catch is that he needs to be protected while doing his thing, although he does have the means to do it himself (instant smokescreen--ninja style!). The only one out of all Eleven who rivals Tidelord's glee in impaling things.

Icewarden is a Kung-Fu Wizard, which is exactly what it says on the tin can. His weapon of choice, a quarterstaff, allows him to do fancy martial arts while also dishing out crowd control. A non-squishy mage like Tidepotato, but the latter focuses more on offense whereas Icey himself is more of a tanky mobile support... sort of.

Lightweaver is a Magic Marksman. She stays at the back of the group constantly shooting light arrows, occasionally repositioning with her flashy blink-teleport whenever necessary. Like Stormcatcher, she needs to be protected, but her sister usually has this covered.

Shadowbinder's game board and Draconic weapons (a scimitar and an offhand dagger) allow her to both be the Beastmaster and the Cavalry. I mean, c'mon! Shady riding in on the back of a dragon is one of the coolest things ever. In battle, she can use her pieces as mounts, decoys, blitzers, meat shields, whatever she wants. Even backup dancers!

Gladekeeper is a Stone Wall. Her stature and ability to quickly regenerate (given the right conditions) as well as her persistence makes her one of the hardest things to get through. She always says she prefers using her axe defensively, but when push comes to shove going against her do-no-harm policy becomes more than acceptable.

Plaguebringer, like Mather, is a Lightning Bruiser; the difference being her emphasis on Bruiser instead. Not as fast as Mather but lasts longer, not as slow as Twerky but less durable. Definitely just as hard-hitting though. She'd be a Jack of All Stats if it weren't for how the things that don't kill her literally make her stronger (think Olaf from League of Legends).

Arcanist is, aptly, a (very) Squishy Wizard. The Squishy part rarely matters since he mostly stays at the back like Lightweaver (except he casts spells whereas she shoots arrows), but when enemies get too close... well, that's what the air support is for.
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
@sugarfrost I love this so much. A save-the-earth rally! I love you.
@sugarfrost I love this so much. A save-the-earth rally! I love you.
f2VHCTu.gif
pinging self to not lose this @TeaLeafves
this is a really cool idea ehehe

also bringing the losers over
@Upstart @gracefulsunshine @Caelthus
pinging self to not lose this @TeaLeafves
this is a really cool idea ehehe

also bringing the losers over
@Upstart @gracefulsunshine @Caelthus
FR +15 || Call me Kit or Tea!
Makibaka // Dare to Fight
@sugarfrost I NEEEEED TO BE ON THE UPDATE PING LIST ahem I would love to receive updates on this, thank you :)

@TeaLeafves I can't believe you're dragging me into another one. At least I have @gracefulsunshine and @Caelthus to be suffer enjoy with me.
@sugarfrost I NEEEEED TO BE ON THE UPDATE PING LIST ahem I would love to receive updates on this, thank you :)

@TeaLeafves I can't believe you're dragging me into another one. At least I have @gracefulsunshine and @Caelthus to be suffer enjoy with me.
nhPXuTn.gifz5eKjn6.gifPXDZmkj.gif
@TeaLeafves @Upstart
First of all, welcome to the AU! We hope you'll be enjoying your stay here, and do check out the art thread too *cough filthy self-promotion *cough*

Sugarfrost hasn't been very active on the forums lately, but we can always hope it'll change for the better! Until then you can always expect me or Ayreria to ping you and your pals whenever updates happen (since we have our own pinglists for this XP)
@TeaLeafves @Upstart
First of all, welcome to the AU! We hope you'll be enjoying your stay here, and do check out the art thread too *cough filthy self-promotion *cough*

Sugarfrost hasn't been very active on the forums lately, but we can always hope it'll change for the better! Until then you can always expect me or Ayreria to ping you and your pals whenever updates happen (since we have our own pinglists for this XP)
aOqSjGa.gif7JsaWoU.png
5SqCfGJ.gif6YB2w91.png
zDb04lN.gifQcIeheH.png
Ekb7dXv.png8DRC6Y6.png
1 2 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64 65