Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Player Questions/Concerns for the Admin
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 99 100
As the first thread was getting a bit large and it's been nine months since it began, we're giving this thread a freshening up.

You can find the original Questions thread here.

Thread Goal

Our goal for this thread is to give players a consolidated place to directly ask questions to our administration team.

Disclosure

Please understand that not all questions will have immediate or detailed answers. Due to development or internal planning, some information will need to remain undisclosed. If your question is not something we are able to answer, it will be documented. You aren't being ignored - we simply can't provide informative answers to every question being asked. We will always do our best!

How This Works

One of my duties as your Community Manager is to read through, collect, and field your concerns and questions with the owners and developers of Flight Rising. I make sure that each question is put in front of the team, read, considered, and answered (if possible). Please note that I am unable to provide any information I am not expressly told to share, in accordance with the direction and confidentiality of upcoming goals and development, the privacy of other players, and the security and internal workings of the website.

This means sometimes there may be a delay between when you ask your question and when an answer is posted. This also means that there may not be an answer for your question at the time. Please rest assured (as was mentioned in the Disclosure section above) that all questions are documented, even if there is not an answer for them, or the answer cannot be given because it involves divulging sensitive information. No one is getting ignored.

This Thread is Not For

Please keep in mind that this thread is not for:
  • How-to Questions - the Help forum is your best bet for seeking help with gameplay; the knowledgeable combination of players and moderators here should set you on the right track!

With all of that said, this thread is open for business, post your questions or concerns!
As the first thread was getting a bit large and it's been nine months since it began, we're giving this thread a freshening up.

You can find the original Questions thread here.

Thread Goal

Our goal for this thread is to give players a consolidated place to directly ask questions to our administration team.

Disclosure

Please understand that not all questions will have immediate or detailed answers. Due to development or internal planning, some information will need to remain undisclosed. If your question is not something we are able to answer, it will be documented. You aren't being ignored - we simply can't provide informative answers to every question being asked. We will always do our best!

How This Works

One of my duties as your Community Manager is to read through, collect, and field your concerns and questions with the owners and developers of Flight Rising. I make sure that each question is put in front of the team, read, considered, and answered (if possible). Please note that I am unable to provide any information I am not expressly told to share, in accordance with the direction and confidentiality of upcoming goals and development, the privacy of other players, and the security and internal workings of the website.

This means sometimes there may be a delay between when you ask your question and when an answer is posted. This also means that there may not be an answer for your question at the time. Please rest assured (as was mentioned in the Disclosure section above) that all questions are documented, even if there is not an answer for them, or the answer cannot be given because it involves divulging sensitive information. No one is getting ignored.

This Thread is Not For

Please keep in mind that this thread is not for:
  • How-to Questions - the Help forum is your best bet for seeking help with gameplay; the knowledgeable combination of players and moderators here should set you on the right track!

With all of that said, this thread is open for business, post your questions or concerns!
[quote name="Frankenstein" date="2014-09-16 21:21:49"]@Aequorin Any news on the new iri/shim for the 4 starter dragons? Undel mentioned it .. and i am pretty upset. I really don't want the iri/shim to change on my guardian(s). Do you think they will allow players to keep the old form?[/quote] @Frankenstein, no, we won't be leaving the old iri/shim on existing dragons. I'm sorry, I know you like the old one - it's a change across the board, all dragons or no dragons. [br][br] [quote name="Cutiepaws" date="2014-09-17 07:47:26"]Will there ever be Glasses/Spectacles apparel? And will Scratch ever stock in greater quantities? Also, happy there's a Q&A thread :3[/quote] @Cutiepaws, as far as glasses go, yes there will be! The artists have been working on glasses apparel! On battlestones, it is a possibility and one we are evaluating. [br][br] [quote name="Fjaer" date="2014-09-17 20:57:03"]There's still no toggle for the snowfall in Boreal Woods. If it's a coding issue, why not just disable the snow completely for now, and then add it back in later once you're able to make it optional?[/quote] @Fjaer, if you'd like to see this change, please feel free to post to Suggestions about this. [br][br] [quote name="Februari" date="2014-09-18 15:54:17"]@Aequorin Hey, sorry, pretty sure this has been asked before, but when are Wildclaw Scrolls coming back? [s]they [i]are[/i] coming back right?[/s][/quote] @Februari, they will be back in the future, but we do not have a timetable on this. Be sure to read the front page posts as they go up as we'll announce it there, like we did with the Corsair's Set! [br][br] [quote name="Greyjoy" date="2014-09-20 18:11:51"]Are there still plans to include the Chain of Fools achievement at some point..?[/quote] @Greyjoy, yes. [br][br] [quote name="Cutiepaws" date="2014-09-21 07:41:34"]Oh, and one more teenesy tiny thing: I know we cannot ask about spesifics, so all I'll ask is: Do you [i]PERSONALLY[/i] find the future Adventure function to be fun? Describe it with one word? I just want to know if it's okay to be excited about it or not[/quote] @Cutiepaws, Adventure is not far enough along to have a well formed opinion about, though I'm excited for when I can play it. [br][br] [quote name="Magenta" date="2014-09-21 09:14:55"]How long is the www1 part of the website gonna stay up?[/quote] @Magenta, www1 is a longterm change as we recode and integrate various portions of the website. [br][br] [quote name="Fawks" date="2014-09-22 18:13:16"]Is there established lore on what the Flight Rising dragons call their planet, or universe-in-general? And of what languages they speak? For example, in the Tolkien mythos the Elves called the universe "Eä" and the world "Arda", of which "Middle-Earth" was but a continent.[/quote] @Fawks, Earth, air, water, and fire dragons each have a name that they will call the world, as they feel that their patrons had the greatest hands in their creation. However, the neutral term used in inter flight discussion tends to be "Sornieth" which is draconic for "our planet".
Frankenstein wrote on 2014-09-16 21:21:49:
@Aequorin

Any news on the new iri/shim for the 4 starter dragons?
Undel mentioned it .. and i am pretty upset.
I really don't want the iri/shim to change on my guardian(s). Do you think they will allow players to keep the old form?

@Frankenstein, no, we won't be leaving the old iri/shim on existing dragons. I'm sorry, I know you like the old one - it's a change across the board, all dragons or no dragons.

Cutiepaws wrote on 2014-09-17 07:47:26:
Will there ever be Glasses/Spectacles apparel? And will Scratch ever stock in greater quantities?

Also, happy there's a Q&A thread :3

@Cutiepaws, as far as glasses go, yes there will be! The artists have been working on glasses apparel! On battlestones, it is a possibility and one we are evaluating.

Fjaer wrote on 2014-09-17 20:57:03:
There's still no toggle for the snowfall in Boreal Woods. If it's a coding issue, why not just disable the snow completely for now, and then add it back in later once you're able to make it optional?

@Fjaer, if you'd like to see this change, please feel free to post to Suggestions about this.

Februari wrote on 2014-09-18 15:54:17:
@Aequorin
Hey, sorry, pretty sure this has been asked before, but when are Wildclaw Scrolls coming back? they are coming back right?

@Februari, they will be back in the future, but we do not have a timetable on this. Be sure to read the front page posts as they go up as we'll announce it there, like we did with the Corsair's Set!

Greyjoy wrote on 2014-09-20 18:11:51:
Are there still plans to include the Chain of Fools achievement at some point..?

@Greyjoy, yes.

Cutiepaws wrote on 2014-09-21 07:41:34:
Oh, and one more teenesy tiny thing: I know we cannot ask about spesifics, so all I'll ask is: Do you PERSONALLY find the future Adventure function to be fun? Describe it with one word?

I just want to know if it's okay to be excited about it or not

@Cutiepaws, Adventure is not far enough along to have a well formed opinion about, though I'm excited for when I can play it.

Magenta wrote on 2014-09-21 09:14:55:
How long is the www1 part of the website gonna stay up?

@Magenta, www1 is a longterm change as we recode and integrate various portions of the website.

Fawks wrote on 2014-09-22 18:13:16:
Is there established lore on what the Flight Rising dragons call their planet, or universe-in-general? And of what languages they speak?

For example, in the Tolkien mythos the Elves called the universe "Eä" and the world "Arda", of which "Middle-Earth" was but a continent.

@Fawks, Earth, air, water, and fire dragons each have a name that they will call the world, as they feel that their patrons had the greatest hands in their creation. However, the neutral term used in inter flight discussion tends to be "Sornieth" which is draconic for "our planet".
[quote name="Roro" date="2014-09-25 07:08:18"]I was just wondering what was going on about some users getting banned? It seem quite a few coli grinders are getting banned, and now I'm kind of scared to grind for shards. Is this something that can be resolved, or are there at least measures I can take to not be wrongly banned?[/quote] @Roro, it boils down to: do not use software that plays the coliseum for you, and please make sure to get some sleep. The occasional all nighter isn't an issue. Otherwise, you will not set off a ban. Play as much as is humanly possible if you like. [br][br] [quote name="Confectionary" date="2014-09-25 07:15:09"] I'd like to springboard off of this, if I may. 1. Is there a way to solidly prove one way or another a user has been botting? If no solid proof is found, can a user recover their account? I'm hearing from several users that they were banned, with their offense being botting, when the worst they've got is an adblocker. 2. Are adblockers considered against the ToS? 3. Do you guys care that a chunk of your users are afraid to use a feature on your site?[/quote] @Confectionary: 1. Yes, there is a way to solidly prove botting. 2. No. And they will not set off a ban unless a secondary feature of the blocker is to specifically play our coliseum and fair for you. 3. Yes. We want everyone to feel safe to play and be assured that the things we ban for, no human is capable of. Even the most addicted player with the best connection. [br][br] [quote name="Soleil" date="2014-09-25 08:45:21"] I'd also like to know this. Also, is it against the TOS to use an IP Blocker? Is it against the TOS to use Tor for example, or things like GhostScript or Ghostery? It is very important to me personally that I can surf anonymously from time to time, but now I'm worried about being banned over it.[/quote] @Soleil, using ip privacy is fine, though we do block many proxy servers from accessing flight rising due to them being used for trolling ends. As far as Ghostscript and ghostery, those should be fine as long as you are not programming things that play or automate flight rising for you. We are not familiar with Ghostscript, but read that it can be used as a general programming platform, so "general programming" an automation of our game is likely to still get you in trouble. Protecting your privacy is not! [br][br] [quote name="sadey" date="2014-09-25 09:17:50"] Piggybacking a question of my own here...but I often use FR on my desktop and my iPad. I don't typically log out of either, and while the iPad times out occasionally, I rarely log in more than a few times a day (if that). Should I be logging out before swapping devices? And when on my desktop I often have multiple tabs going (especially when the coli lags lol) I get bored easily, and tend to swap between the coli and tabs with the forums or scrying workshop and back and forth... Is that a process you don't recommend?[/quote] @sadey, multi tabbing and logging in on multiple devices is perfectly fine. We are well aware that many of our players do this. Heck, many of the staff do this too! I myself run multiple tabs in a couple different browsers! [br][br] [quote name="HMS" date="2014-09-25 09:26:36"] ^^^^^ Everyone I know is too afraid to use coli. Even though it's a festival week and everyone wants to grind for currency. The market for adult fodder is already crashing.[/quote] @HMS, running automation software that plays on your behalf will get you flagged. Playing a lot by hand will not!
Roro wrote on 2014-09-25 07:08:18:
I was just wondering what was going on about some users getting banned? It seem quite a few coli grinders are getting banned, and now I'm kind of scared to grind for shards.

Is this something that can be resolved, or are there at least measures I can take to not be wrongly banned?

@Roro, it boils down to: do not use software that plays the coliseum for you, and please make sure to get some sleep. The occasional all nighter isn't an issue. Otherwise, you will not set off a ban. Play as much as is humanly possible if you like.

Confectionary wrote on 2014-09-25 07:15:09:

I'd like to springboard off of this, if I may.

1. Is there a way to solidly prove one way or another a user has been botting? If no solid proof is found, can a user recover their account? I'm hearing from several users that they were banned, with their offense being botting, when the worst they've got is an adblocker.
2. Are adblockers considered against the ToS?
3. Do you guys care that a chunk of your users are afraid to use a feature on your site?

@Confectionary:

1. Yes, there is a way to solidly prove botting.

2. No. And they will not set off a ban unless a secondary feature of the blocker is to specifically play our coliseum and fair for you.

3. Yes. We want everyone to feel safe to play and be assured that the things we ban for, no human is capable of. Even the most addicted player with the best connection.

Soleil wrote on 2014-09-25 08:45:21:
I'd also like to know this.
Also, is it against the TOS to use an IP Blocker? Is it against the TOS to use Tor for example, or things like GhostScript or Ghostery? It is very important to me personally that I can surf anonymously from time to time, but now I'm worried about being banned over it.

@Soleil, using ip privacy is fine, though we do block many proxy servers from accessing flight rising due to them being used for trolling ends. As far as Ghostscript and ghostery, those should be fine as long as you are not programming things that play or automate flight rising for you. We are not familiar with Ghostscript, but read that it can be used as a general programming platform, so "general programming" an automation of our game is likely to still get you in trouble. Protecting your privacy is not!

sadey wrote on 2014-09-25 09:17:50:
Piggybacking a question of my own here...but I often use FR on my desktop and my iPad. I don't typically log out of either, and while the iPad times out occasionally, I rarely log in more than a few times a day (if that). Should I be logging out before swapping devices?

And when on my desktop I often have multiple tabs going (especially when the coli lags lol) I get bored easily, and tend to swap between the coli and tabs with the forums or scrying workshop and back and forth... Is that a process you don't recommend?

@sadey, multi tabbing and logging in on multiple devices is perfectly fine. We are well aware that many of our players do this. Heck, many of the staff do this too! I myself run multiple tabs in a couple different browsers!

HMS wrote on 2014-09-25 09:26:36:

^^^^^

Everyone I know is too afraid to use coli. Even though it's a festival week and everyone wants to grind for currency. The market for adult fodder is already crashing.

@HMS, running automation software that plays on your behalf will get you flagged. Playing a lot by hand will not!
@Aequorin, is changing hotkeys a bannable offense? I firmly believe that it is not, since I am still paying 100% attention and controlling my Coliseum team, but I wanted to ask anyway, for peace of mind.

I have RSI problems, so instead of using my mouse, I map mouse clicks to my keyboard instead. I press the buttons on the keyboard (22 different buttons) instead of clicking the positions with my mouse. I am at my computer 100% of the time and looking at the screen and controlling everything.

There is nothing wrong with what I am doing, right?
@Aequorin, is changing hotkeys a bannable offense? I firmly believe that it is not, since I am still paying 100% attention and controlling my Coliseum team, but I wanted to ask anyway, for peace of mind.

I have RSI problems, so instead of using my mouse, I map mouse clicks to my keyboard instead. I press the buttons on the keyboard (22 different buttons) instead of clicking the positions with my mouse. I am at my computer 100% of the time and looking at the screen and controlling everything.

There is nothing wrong with what I am doing, right?
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@Aequorin Thank you for the response. Obviously I cannot prove that people who have been banned today haven't been botting, but I believe the ones who have told me their cases. If they respond to the email informing them of the ban, is there even a remote chance they will get their issue looked at a second time? Or does the follow-up email some users got saying to just make a new account next registration blanket all the users who have been banned today?
@Aequorin Thank you for the response. Obviously I cannot prove that people who have been banned today haven't been botting, but I believe the ones who have told me their cases. If they respond to the email informing them of the ban, is there even a remote chance they will get their issue looked at a second time? Or does the follow-up email some users got saying to just make a new account next registration blanket all the users who have been banned today?
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
I did not get that ping just now, but thanks for answering my questions! I'll be off to hoard glasses trinkets for the inevitable swap/crafting now :3
I did not get that ping just now, but thanks for answering my questions! I'll be off to hoard glasses trinkets for the inevitable swap/crafting now :3
66MHIIb.png
[quote name="Confectionary" date="2014-09-25 10:37:38"]@Aequorin Thank you for the response. Obviously I cannot prove that people who have been banned today [i]haven't[/i] been botting, but I believe the ones who have told me their cases. If they respond to the email informing them of the ban, is there even a remote chance they will get their issue looked at a second time? Or does the follow-up email some users got saying to just make a new account next registration blanket all the users who have been banned today?[/quote] @Confectionary, [b]players should always appeal account closure if they feel their account was closed in error.[/b] We do not like closing accounts and for that reason we investigate, we do not close accounts on a knee-jerk reaction; however, we are human and human beings make mistakes. We would be remiss not to acknowledge that.
Confectionary wrote on 2014-09-25 10:37:38:

@Confectionary, players should always appeal account closure if they feel their account was closed in error. We do not like closing accounts and for that reason we investigate, we do not close accounts on a knee-jerk reaction; however, we are human and human beings make mistakes. We would be remiss not to acknowledge that.
@Aequorin
Would making a non-FR-appropriate joke with your dragons be acceptable as long as you had no allusion to the joke in the bio and kept discussion of the joke strictly off-site?
@Aequorin
Would making a non-FR-appropriate joke with your dragons be acceptable as long as you had no allusion to the joke in the bio and kept discussion of the joke strictly off-site?
[quote name="Sylvandyr" date="2014-09-25 10:37:13"]@Aequorin, is changing hotkeys a bannable offense? /cut/[/quote] This would interest me as well. Would make grinding a LOT easier for me and I guess a lot other people as well.
Sylvandyr wrote on 2014-09-25 10:37:13:
@Aequorin, is changing hotkeys a bannable offense?

/cut/

This would interest me as well. Would make grinding a LOT easier for me and I guess a lot other people as well.
fuoDMXr.pngbsky - twitter - tumblr - he\they
@Aequorin Wonderful. Thank you again!
@Aequorin Wonderful. Thank you again!
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 99 100