Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | [Lore] Questions Once In a While
1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 417 418
[quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=19061802] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/190619/19061802_350.png[/img] [/url] Ruin here is very old and wise with knowledge. To her the scrolls are sacred and special. They're filled with very powerful magic even she doesn't fully grasp at. In her theory; you wont know just how powerful the magic is till you've used one yourself. But she's very scared of the magic. She always tried to find answers to these mysterious scrolls, hoping to maybe study how they become magic bound, who or what even does the binding. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22142142] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/221422/22142142_350.png[/img] [/url] Envy was sinful and her desire of wanting someone got her into heavy trouble, She was born a Coatl but when she found a scroll to change her body, she took it but at a coat; her face is half Coatl, half Tundra. She uses a mask to hide her face from the mate she wanted so badly.
Quote:
How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?

19061802_350.png

Ruin here is very old and wise with knowledge. To her the scrolls are sacred and special. They're filled with very powerful magic even she doesn't fully grasp at. In her theory; you wont know just how powerful the magic is till you've used one yourself. But she's very scared of the magic. She always tried to find answers to these mysterious scrolls, hoping to maybe study how they become magic bound, who or what even does the binding.

22142142_350.png

Envy was sinful and her desire of wanting someone got her into heavy trouble, She was born a Coatl but when she found a scroll to change her body, she took it but at a coat; her face is half Coatl, half Tundra. She uses a mask to hide her face from the mate she wanted so badly.
windysmall.png
[quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] Scrolls are treated as "makeup", as a dragon can change back so it isn't like it's irriversible. They're considered magical artifacts that should be handled with care, but they have no negative social stigma. Dragons are always advised before using a scroll; breed changes can be tingly or itchy and some genes can feel odd for a while. Most are deliberate changes planned ahead; however, every now-and-then a sneaky hatchling manages to nab a scroll or two, tinker with them correctly, and go through changes their parents will scold them for. "[i]Darn it, Timmy, do you have any idea how much that shimmer scroll cost.[/i]"
Quote:
How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?

Scrolls are treated as "makeup", as a dragon can change back so it isn't like it's irriversible. They're considered magical artifacts that should be handled with care, but they have no negative social stigma.
Dragons are always advised before using a scroll; breed changes can be tingly or itchy and some genes can feel odd for a while.
Most are deliberate changes planned ahead; however, every now-and-then a sneaky hatchling manages to nab a scroll or two, tinker with them correctly, and go through changes their parents will scold them for. "Darn it, Timmy, do you have any idea how much that shimmer scroll cost."
I miss pings - DMs work better. Semi-hiatus.
[quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] scrolls are seen as gifts from the deities, and dragons are fully aware of their transformations, often asking their peers if they approve of their choice of genes. Ro believes all scrolls are from the deities, but usually purchases them and keeps them in his own private vault, telling the dragon of choice that the gods have heard their wishes to be transformed. Nobody knows of his secret.
Quote:

scrolls are seen as gifts from the deities, and dragons are fully aware of their transformations, often asking their peers if they approve of their choice of genes. Ro believes all scrolls are from the deities, but usually purchases them and keeps them in his own private vault, telling the dragon of choice that the gods have heard their wishes to be transformed. Nobody knows of his secret.
mxk5Q9c.pngeGiN2Xv.pngthDLJf3.png
zwkSD6b.png
lJYz6YI.png
kCHWEjf.png
:)
MUYNhfy.png
gp6bQfb.png
HxcMlGn.png
I'm very much behind, oopsie... Well time to catch up I suppose. I may accidentally answer a question twice because I can't quite remember if I answered some of these or not. [quote][i]20. April 2016.[/i] Let's have some fun today! Go to your last permanent dragon in your clan. What is the hobby of that dragon? What is their favorite color? Do they have a clan role? How long have they been in the clan? Do they have friends? Family? Tell me everything about your last member as if they were your first and most important![/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22861041] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/228611/22861041_350.png[/img] [/url] Fenrir here is the most recent addition to the clan. (At least in terms of me buying him.) He's the captain of the guard here, and handles organizing patrols and training new recruits. He's actually a big softie, though, and really likes gardening when he has the time. So far, he doesn't have any family, but he tends to treat the younger guards and recruits like his children. Some aren't to sure how to react to this, but others are quite happy with this treatment. His favorite color is also sapphire blue. [quote][i]21. April 2016.[/i] What are gijinkas? What does it take for a dragon to be able to change into their gijinka form? Is it something permanent or does it change over time? Can a dragon choose their gijinka forms?[/quote] Gijinkas are something like a form of privilege and convenience. Most dragons in Wisphaven who have gijinka forms mostly use them to preform tasks that are difficult or impossible while a dragon. (ex: drawing or other things that require fine manipulation or finesse.) It usually takes a while for one to be able to shift to the more humanoid form, and a whole lot of patience. Meditation and other exercises like it are usually used to achieve this. It takes a while, but once a dragon has enough control, they can shift between their forms freely. The appearance of their gijinka forms are somewhat fixed and based on their usual appearance, though. About the only thing they can choose about it are whether more draconic features show or not. If something about them changes though (breed, genes, colors, etc), their gijinka forms will change accordingly. [quote][i]23. April 2016.[/i] It's spring and love is in the air - or is it? How does courting work in your clan? Who asks who first? Do dragons form partnerships for life? Are these pairings romantic? Can anyone breed with anyone? Do dragons choose for themselves or are there set marriages? Tell me all about love![/quote] Courting is actually a bit of a long process, depending on the intentions. It's generally done by those with romance in mind, but the duration of the relationship (if things work out) really depends on the couple. Some may want to form a life-long relationship in mind, but others may just be planning something shorter. (Though if it's just a short fling, courting isn't usually done, honestly.) If the dragons in question are planning on a long term relationship, things will usually take a while. Courting can also be a bit complicated depending on the species involved- especially if it involves two different types of dragons! Courting is mostly started by one partner to the other (though there are exceptions where both- or all in the case of the polyamorous individuals- start all at once). Intentions and such are stated first, and if they're accepted, the one who started everything gives the other a token to start things off. After this, the dragons involved go on dates and exchange gifts until they're ready to cement the relationship. [quote][i]25. April 2016.[/i] Since it is festival time, it's time for fun! Who are the entertainers in your clan? Are there singers? Musicians? Dancers? Are there storytellers? Are there ones with jokes - something like stand up comedy? Jugglers, clowns? Anything plays! Introduce them all![/quote] Well there are a few entertainers scattered around, but Aurelia and Neriadi are the most popular. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18833712] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/188338/18833712_350.png[/img][/url] Aurelia is, unironically, a dancer. Every move she makes is precise and full of grace, and she always makes sure that her feathers and scales are as shiny as could be. The way she dances tends to be both fluid and full of sharp movements, depending on the performance, and this contrast is what makes her so popular around Wisphaven. As for the personality beneath the performer, she tends to be very blunt and a bit cold to most. Aurelia tends to only talk to her small circle of friends outside her shows. She does know when to be polite and tactful, though, and takes care to control her mouth around important dragons like Titania and Oberon. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18351285] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/183513/18351285_350.png[/img] [/url] Neriadi is a singer but dances as well, though her style is full of fluid twists and weaves. Her singing is passionate but soft, and her songs are usually focused on the subject of hope and love. On stage she's the center of attention and seems to be right at home, but off stage she's actually quite shy. Neriadi tends to keep to herself when not performing, honestly, though she also hangs around Aurelia a lot as well. She softens the Skydancer's sharper edges, and the two are actually quite close. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=22898711] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/228988/22898711_350.png[/img] [/url] Zelel is also a pretty popular musician around here. Her main instrument is a harp, though she has some experience with a few others. Lively music and bright tunes are her forte, but she occasionally teams up with Neriadi and Aurelia with softer, slower tunes. She's extremely outgoing compared to those two, and loves being in the spotlight. Because of this, they tend to use her as a shield against crowds and fans. Zelel doesn't mind though; all the more attention for her! [quote][i]26. April 2016.[/i] I see many of you pray, give thanks and pay respect to deities during festivals. Show me your priests, embassadors and every dragon that is connected to one (or more) deity in any way? What are their duties? How did they get the connection?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16163359] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/161634/16163359_350.png[/img] [/url] Estos is the head priest and keeper of the Starglow Sanctuary, where the altars to the deities and exalted are. He guards them and makes sure they remain in good condition, also occasionally cleaning the offerings and ashes from incense and burning herbs. Another duty of his is to assist in any religious matters that need his attention, as well as to help those of Wisphaven who need guidance. He's always seemed to have a connection to the Arcanist, and was chosen because of his devotion to Him and the other deities. Occasionally, though, he takes a pilgrimage to the Observatory to keep the connection strong. There aren't really any ambassadors yet, though there are a few dragons who are currently getting training to become one. So far, Ciela is the closest to being done with said training. [quote][i]27. April 2016.[/i] The festivals usually give a familiar. But how are other familiars obtained? Are they caught and kept as prisoners? Are they the ones volunteering to be in a clan? How intelligent are they? Are the clan's familiars kept in an area built for them? Are they sorted? Can dragons choose from them to adopt? If they do, how do they choose - color, personality - what is the thing that matters most about them? Is there a special dragon to care for them all?[/quote] Other familiars make the decision to join Wisphaven by themselves, but the intelligence level depends on the species. They're usually taken in by a patron dragon who helps them adjust to clan life and houses them. There [i]are [/i]areas specifically for familiars though, as their needs and wants are usually different than a dragon's in some way. There are separate food stores and hoards just for them. Despite this, though, the familiars are able to roam around as they please as long as they don't cause trouble. Because of this, they tend to switch patrons occasionally. [Quote][i]28. April 2016.[/i] How do nests work in your clan? Does every pair build their own? Does the clan have permanent nests anyone can use? Are dragons sleeping in nests? Are the hatchlings staying there until they grow up? Who tends the nests? Are the parents both staying in the nests throughout the nesting period?[/quote] Well there are clan nests and personal nests. The clan nests are used until the eggs hatch, so the entire clan can help care for them if the parents need help. The parents also tend to sleep in the nest they use until their eggs hatch, though sometimes they'll trade out will a clanmate to take some time for themself. After the hatching, though, the hatchlings and parents move to personal nests that were built over the course of the nesting period. This allows the new parents to have some privacy and bond with their children without interference. [Quote][i]29. April 2016. [/i]Choose the middle dragon (2nd raw, 3rd derg) on your first page, the middle dragon on the last page and if you have more than 2 pages, the middle dragon on the middle page (if there are two pages in the middle, you can choose which to pick from those pages). Let's say a huge experiment went wrong and theese dragons are the only ones home. Luckily noone got hurt, but there is a huge mess and nobody can help them. What do they do? Can they cope with the situation? Can they work together to solve the problem?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=17415015] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/174151/17415015_350.png[/img] [/url] A member of the Council and a dragon who likes order paired with.... [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=18313909] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/183140/18313909_350.png[/img] [/url] The clan's troublemaker and local expert on chaos. This is going to be a giant mess. [quote][i]30. April 2016.[/i] How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] Scrolls are rare and expensive treasures here, but each dragon has a different view on them. They're indeed enchanted by strong magic, and no one really knows how they come to be. Some even think that the deities themselves created them. Either way, they're usually obtained by the dragons that are traveling and decide to barter with clans they encounter, or in the grand Marketplace for quite the pretty penny. Most of them are labeled clearly, so the dragon that chooses to use them knows exactly what they're getting into. There [i]are [/i]the rare few that don't mention the effects they'll cause, though, but those are usually left alone. ----- And done! All caught up, I think, and I'm quite happy about that. I may go back and make things a little clearer since I think I wrote some of that a bit strangely, but I'm happy with my answers otherwise.
I'm very much behind, oopsie... Well time to catch up I suppose. I may accidentally answer a question twice because I can't quite remember if I answered some of these or not.

Quote:
20. April 2016. Let's have some fun today! Go to your last permanent dragon in your clan. What is the hobby of that dragon? What is their favorite color? Do they have a clan role? How long have they been in the clan? Do they have friends? Family? Tell me everything about your last member as if they were your first and most important!

22861041_350.png

Fenrir here is the most recent addition to the clan. (At least in terms of me buying him.) He's the captain of the guard here, and handles organizing patrols and training new recruits. He's actually a big softie, though, and really likes gardening when he has the time. So far, he doesn't have any family, but he tends to treat the younger guards and recruits like his children. Some aren't to sure how to react to this, but others are quite happy with this treatment. His favorite color is also sapphire blue.

Quote:
21. April 2016. What are gijinkas? What does it take for a dragon to be able to change into their gijinka form? Is it something permanent or does it change over time? Can a dragon choose their gijinka forms?

Gijinkas are something like a form of privilege and convenience. Most dragons in Wisphaven who have gijinka forms mostly use them to preform tasks that are difficult or impossible while a dragon. (ex: drawing or other things that require fine manipulation or finesse.) It usually takes a while for one to be able to shift to the more humanoid form, and a whole lot of patience. Meditation and other exercises like it are usually used to achieve this. It takes a while, but once a dragon has enough control, they can shift between their forms freely.

The appearance of their gijinka forms are somewhat fixed and based on their usual appearance, though. About the only thing they can choose about it are whether more draconic features show or not. If something about them changes though (breed, genes, colors, etc), their gijinka forms will change accordingly.

Quote:
23. April 2016. It's spring and love is in the air - or is it? How does courting work in your clan? Who asks who first? Do dragons form partnerships for life? Are these pairings romantic? Can anyone breed with anyone? Do dragons choose for themselves or are there set marriages? Tell me all about love!

Courting is actually a bit of a long process, depending on the intentions. It's generally done by those with romance in mind, but the duration of the relationship (if things work out) really depends on the couple. Some may want to form a life-long relationship in mind, but others may just be planning something shorter. (Though if it's just a short fling, courting isn't usually done, honestly.) If the dragons in question are planning on a long term relationship, things will usually take a while. Courting can also be a bit complicated depending on the species involved- especially if it involves two different types of dragons!

Courting is mostly started by one partner to the other (though there are exceptions where both- or all in the case of the polyamorous individuals- start all at once). Intentions and such are stated first, and if they're accepted, the one who started everything gives the other a token to start things off. After this, the dragons involved go on dates and exchange gifts until they're ready to cement the relationship.

Quote:
25. April 2016. Since it is festival time, it's time for fun! Who are the entertainers in your clan? Are there singers? Musicians? Dancers? Are there storytellers? Are there ones with jokes - something like stand up comedy? Jugglers, clowns? Anything plays! Introduce them all!

Well there are a few entertainers scattered around, but Aurelia and Neriadi are the most popular.

18833712_350.png

Aurelia is, unironically, a dancer. Every move she makes is precise and full of grace, and she always makes sure that her feathers and scales are as shiny as could be. The way she dances tends to be both fluid and full of sharp movements, depending on the performance, and this contrast is what makes her so popular around Wisphaven.

As for the personality beneath the performer, she tends to be very blunt and a bit cold to most. Aurelia tends to only talk to her small circle of friends outside her shows. She does know when to be polite and tactful, though, and takes care to control her mouth around important dragons like Titania and Oberon.

18351285_350.png

Neriadi is a singer but dances as well, though her style is full of fluid twists and weaves. Her singing is passionate but soft, and her songs are usually focused on the subject of hope and love. On stage she's the center of attention and seems to be right at home, but off stage she's actually quite shy. Neriadi tends to keep to herself when not performing, honestly, though she also hangs around Aurelia a lot as well. She softens the Skydancer's sharper edges, and the two are actually quite close.

22898711_350.png

Zelel is also a pretty popular musician around here. Her main instrument is a harp, though she has some experience with a few others. Lively music and bright tunes are her forte, but she occasionally teams up with Neriadi and Aurelia with softer, slower tunes. She's extremely outgoing compared to those two, and loves being in the spotlight. Because of this, they tend to use her as a shield against crowds and fans. Zelel doesn't mind though; all the more attention for her!

Quote:
26. April 2016. I see many of you pray, give thanks and pay respect to deities during festivals. Show me your priests, embassadors and every dragon that is connected to one (or more) deity in any way? What are their duties? How did they get the connection?

16163359_350.png

Estos is the head priest and keeper of the Starglow Sanctuary, where the altars to the deities and exalted are. He guards them and makes sure they remain in good condition, also occasionally cleaning the offerings and ashes from incense and burning herbs. Another duty of his is to assist in any religious matters that need his attention, as well as to help those of Wisphaven who need guidance. He's always seemed to have a connection to the Arcanist, and was chosen because of his devotion to Him and the other deities. Occasionally, though, he takes a pilgrimage to the Observatory to keep the connection strong.

There aren't really any ambassadors yet, though there are a few dragons who are currently getting training to become one. So far, Ciela is the closest to being done with said training.

Quote:
27. April 2016. The festivals usually give a familiar. But how are other familiars obtained? Are they caught and kept as prisoners? Are they the ones volunteering to be in a clan? How intelligent are they? Are the clan's familiars kept in an area built for them? Are they sorted? Can dragons choose from them to adopt? If they do, how do they choose - color, personality - what is the thing that matters most about them? Is there a special dragon to care for them all?

Other familiars make the decision to join Wisphaven by themselves, but the intelligence level depends on the species. They're usually taken in by a patron dragon who helps them adjust to clan life and houses them. There are areas specifically for familiars though, as their needs and wants are usually different than a dragon's in some way. There are separate food stores and hoards just for them. Despite this, though, the familiars are able to roam around as they please as long as they don't cause trouble. Because of this, they tend to switch patrons occasionally.

Quote:
28. April 2016. How do nests work in your clan? Does every pair build their own? Does the clan have permanent nests anyone can use? Are dragons sleeping in nests? Are the hatchlings staying there until they grow up? Who tends the nests? Are the parents both staying in the nests throughout the nesting period?

Well there are clan nests and personal nests. The clan nests are used until the eggs hatch, so the entire clan can help care for them if the parents need help. The parents also tend to sleep in the nest they use until their eggs hatch, though sometimes they'll trade out will a clanmate to take some time for themself.

After the hatching, though, the hatchlings and parents move to personal nests that were built over the course of the nesting period. This allows the new parents to have some privacy and bond with their children without interference.

Quote:
29. April 2016. Choose the middle dragon (2nd raw, 3rd derg) on your first page, the middle dragon on the last page and if you have more than 2 pages, the middle dragon on the middle page (if there are two pages in the middle, you can choose which to pick from those pages). Let's say a huge experiment went wrong and theese dragons are the only ones home. Luckily noone got hurt, but there is a huge mess and nobody can help them. What do they do? Can they cope with the situation? Can they work together to solve the problem?

17415015_350.png

A member of the Council and a dragon who likes order paired with....

18313909_350.png

The clan's troublemaker and local expert on chaos.

This is going to be a giant mess.

Quote:
30. April 2016. How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?

Scrolls are rare and expensive treasures here, but each dragon has a different view on them. They're indeed enchanted by strong magic, and no one really knows how they come to be. Some even think that the deities themselves created them. Either way, they're usually obtained by the dragons that are traveling and decide to barter with clans they encounter, or in the grand Marketplace for quite the pretty penny. Most of them are labeled clearly, so the dragon that chooses to use them knows exactly what they're getting into. There are the rare few that don't mention the effects they'll cause, though, but those are usually left alone.

And done! All caught up, I think, and I'm quite happy about that. I may go back and make things a little clearer since I think I wrote some of that a bit strangely, but I'm happy with my answers otherwise.
.::The wisps will lead you home, young wanderer, and the stars will light your way::.aa_zps7097360a.png
Lore :: DragonCave :: Art :: Wishlist :: Tumblr
Quote:

When clan Thothiare has spare cash and seems to be well off, scrolls will occasionally be purchased. The most commonly bought are breed changing scrolls. These ancient yet baffling parchments have an astonishing amount of spiritual energy that work wonders on anyone that is given the chance to read them. The clan stores these scrolls and saves them for when a dragon has both been deemed eligible and ready for the heavy task of changing their entire genotype. It also comes with a risk of some personality changes, so this ritual is performed rarely and with great care by the whole clan. Dragons are never changed without their consent, with the only exception being struggling hatchlings. There have been cases of drought and famine making it impossible for meat and fish eating hatchlings to survive. The only alternative to letting them die, is to either put them in the care of the Stormcatcher, whose food supply is endless, or change the dragon to a breed with a palate easier serviced. In these cases, the parents will of course be notified, but the ultimate choice comes down to Blank, the clan leader.

Gene scrolls on the other hand are more scientific than spiritual relics. They force mutations to occur through embedded magical radiation, and rarely affect anything other than the outward appearance of a dragon. These are deemed non essentials, and will not be bought by the clan as a whole. Dragons wishing to change themselves cosmetically will need to borrow money from the clan or save up. There is little monetary imbalance in the clan, so everyone must work equally hard in order to buy gene scrolls. There are cases of pooling of currencies in order to help someone change genes, if they seem to be struggling greatly with the way they look.
Quote:

When clan Thothiare has spare cash and seems to be well off, scrolls will occasionally be purchased. The most commonly bought are breed changing scrolls. These ancient yet baffling parchments have an astonishing amount of spiritual energy that work wonders on anyone that is given the chance to read them. The clan stores these scrolls and saves them for when a dragon has both been deemed eligible and ready for the heavy task of changing their entire genotype. It also comes with a risk of some personality changes, so this ritual is performed rarely and with great care by the whole clan. Dragons are never changed without their consent, with the only exception being struggling hatchlings. There have been cases of drought and famine making it impossible for meat and fish eating hatchlings to survive. The only alternative to letting them die, is to either put them in the care of the Stormcatcher, whose food supply is endless, or change the dragon to a breed with a palate easier serviced. In these cases, the parents will of course be notified, but the ultimate choice comes down to Blank, the clan leader.

Gene scrolls on the other hand are more scientific than spiritual relics. They force mutations to occur through embedded magical radiation, and rarely affect anything other than the outward appearance of a dragon. These are deemed non essentials, and will not be bought by the clan as a whole. Dragons wishing to change themselves cosmetically will need to borrow money from the clan or save up. There is little monetary imbalance in the clan, so everyone must work equally hard in order to buy gene scrolls. There are cases of pooling of currencies in order to help someone change genes, if they seem to be struggling greatly with the way they look.
sig.png
[center][b]~Question of the Day~[/b][/center] [quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] The dragons of Ira'vighet are fully aware of what will happen to them when they use Scrolls. Due to the immense power of most of the Scrolls most of the Clan's dragons prefer to have a group of Ira'vighet mystics, sorcerers, and alchemists create the scrolls themselves. In those cases the high monetary payment is due to the expense of the materials needed to bind the magicks. Occasionally, when time is a concern they will purchase a completed scroll from trusted venues or clans. [item=scroll of renaming] Scrolls of Renaming are the only scrolls that are not deeply magical and this should come as no surprise. Dragons may change how they're addressed as often as they like. A Scroll of Renaming is simply the official documentation that confirms the change within the Clan, within Sorneith, and with the Deities. The only magic involved is the magic needed to change the Deities records which have no physical manifestation. [item=remove gene: primary][item=primary gene: speckle][item=primary gene: tiger][item=primary gene: clown][item=primary gene: cherub][item=primary gene: giraffe][item=primary gene: vipera][item=primary gene: piebald][item=primary gene: ripple][item=primary gene: bar][item=primary gene: iridescent][item=primary gene: crystal][item=primary gene: petals][item=primary gene: poison] [item=remove gene: secondary][item=secondary gene: stripes][item=secondary gene: freckle][item=secondary gene: eye spot][item=secondary gene: seraph][item=secondary gene: peregrine][item=secondary gene: hex][item=secondary gene: current][item=secondary gene: daub][item=secondary gene: paint][item=secondary gene: hypnotic][item=secondary gene: shimmer][item=secondary gene: facet][item=secondary gene: butterfly][item=secondary gene: toxin] [item=remove gene: tertiary][item=tertiary gene: underbelly][item=tertiary gene: thylacine][item=tertiary gene: crackle][item=tertiary gene: smoke][item=tertiary gene: spines][item=tertiary gene: okapi][item=tertiary gene: gembond][item=tertiary gene: circuit][item=tertiary gene: glimmer][item=tertiary gene: stained] Appearance change is interesting as a Gene Scroll is necessary to make the change [i]genetic[/i]. These scrolls will alter the genotype and allow the physical change to be passed down to offspring. However, a phenotypic change is possible without a Scroll and instead are caused by environmental factors. The drawback is the physical change will not be passed down to offspring unless the change is sealed with a Scroll. These changes are the only changes that can be done naturally without a Scroll, and even then it will not alter a dragon on a genetic level. [item=tri-color scatterscroll] On a related note, appearance change for colors is also similar. However, the environmental impact is more slight as dragons may darken or lighten in shade, but rarely does the color change completely. Also, same as the previous phenotypic change, the environmental color changes do not affect the genotype. Only a Scroll can do that. [item=breed change: tundra][item=breed change: guardian][item=breed change: fae][item=breed change: mirror][item=breed change: pearlcatcher][item=breed change: ridgeback][item=breed change: spiral][item=breed change: snapper][item=breed change: skydancer][item=breed change: imperial][item=breed change: nocturne][item=breed change: wildclaw][item=breed change: coatl] Breed Change Scrolls cause complete physiological shifts and make the dragon on every level a different breed. Unlike Gene Scrolls, which can complete the change in a day or two, Breed Change Scrolls cause gradual changes over the course of several weeks or even months. The length of time is dependent on how different the dragon's current breed is from the desired breed. Rarity of the breed doesn't affect the time much as the genetic changes are relatively equal in difficulty. For instance, a Skydancer would transform quicker into a Pearlcatcher or vice versa than a Fae to Imperial or Imperial to Fae transformation. Interestingly, dragons with a strong magic connection [i][b]and[/b][/i] mastery of said magic can greatly speed up the process. They do this by resonating with the Scroll's Magick and imprinting the desired changes into their own magic. They then convert their bodies into magical energy and reconstruct it to fit the template provided by the Scroll. The Scroll also aids in the process as it was intended to do. This is extremely dangerous for those who don't know what they're doing and still risky even for those who do. If the dragon loses focus or unbalances the magicks of the process then they could easily die or become stuck in a mutated form halfway between the two breeds. [item=Scroll of Maturity] [item=scroll of eternal youth] The Scrolls of Maturity and Eternal Youth use Temporal Magick to either accelerate a dragon's growth or freeze it. Scrolls of Maturity are a bit simpler, but cause more fatigue due to the rapid shift in physiology. However, the change can be faster unlike Gene Change Scrolls as there are no genetic shifts. Additionally aging is natural process. To the dragon it will feel as if time has accelerated leaving them feeling exhausted, but not pained. Scrolls of Eternal Youth are a bit trickier. No physical change occurs at all however it is an ongoing piece of Magick. In order to keep the dragon in a Temporal Lock, the Scroll's Magick is tethered to dragon's own magic. A feed back loop between the tethered spell, the dragon's innate magic, and the natural magic of Sorneith keeps the Temporal Lock in place. [item=boon of fertility] While this is not a Scroll it bares mentioning due to the magic involved. Upon initial examination, it may seem to also use Temporal Magick, but this is not so. Instead it creates a channel for the energy of a Deity. If the Deity allows some of their own magic to flow along the channel then the egg(s) of a nest will absorb the magic and hatch immediately. This is not Temporal Magick because there is no physical change to accelerate or freeze. Unhatched eggs all have fully formed Hatchlings within them. First Generations are created through the magic of Sorneith and a combination of so much genetic material of a particular breed that they technically have hundreds of parents yet with so little in common with any of them they ultimately have no genetic parents. Every subsequent Generation are created through the combination of the magic of the two parents along with their genetic material. The reason eggs take several days to hatch when the Hatchling is already fully formed is due to the fact that the body has no soul. The egg serves as protection for the vulnerable body of a Hatchling while a soul attaches to the form over the period of 6 days. Therefore, rather than Temporal Magick the magic of a Deity creates Soul Magick which instantly forms the connection between body and soul thus allowing the egg(s) to hatch immediately. A quirk of the body and soul being connected by a Deity often makes these dragons more resistant to death. Since their body and soul are bound so tightly these dragons often manage to stay alive through injuries or sickness more grievous than what others can handle. This can be both a benefit and a deficit as the body is not sturdier than a normal dragon so they suffer from their injuries or sickness without the relief of death. The fertility part of the name is a bit of a misnomer. There is not an increase in the number of eggs nor are the dragons born of this boon likely to have larger nests. However, the magic of a Deity is strong, no matter how slight, and it lingers in their bodies. Dragons born once removed from the boon may also be more resistant to death. However, births removed by any more generations are unlikely to have that stronger than average body-soul connection. There is no social stigma involved with using any of these Scrolls or calling upon the Boon. As Ira'vighet emphasizes choice, individuality, and knowing oneself the choice to use a Scroll or Boon is seen as an extension of this.
~Question of the Day~
Quote:

The dragons of Ira'vighet are fully aware of what will happen to them when they use Scrolls. Due to the immense power of most of the Scrolls most of the Clan's dragons prefer to have a group of Ira'vighet mystics, sorcerers, and alchemists create the scrolls themselves. In those cases the high monetary payment is due to the expense of the materials needed to bind the magicks. Occasionally, when time is a concern they will purchase a completed scroll from trusted venues or clans.

Scroll of Renaming
Scrolls of Renaming are the only scrolls that are not deeply magical and this should come as no surprise. Dragons may change how they're addressed as often as they like. A Scroll of Renaming is simply the official documentation that confirms the change within the Clan, within Sorneith, and with the Deities. The only magic involved is the magic needed to change the Deities records which have no physical manifestation.

Remove Gene: Primary Primary Gene: Speckle Primary Gene: Tiger Primary Gene: Clown Primary Gene: Cherub Primary Gene: Giraffe Primary Gene: Vipera Primary Gene: Piebald Primary Gene: Ripple Primary Gene: Bar Primary Gene: Iridescent Primary Gene: Crystal Primary Gene: Petals Primary Gene: Poison

Remove Gene: Secondary Secondary Gene: Stripes Secondary Gene: Freckle Secondary Gene: Seraph Secondary Gene: Peregrine Secondary Gene: Hex Secondary Gene: Current Secondary Gene: Daub Secondary Gene: Paint Secondary Gene: Hypnotic Secondary Gene: Shimmer Secondary Gene: Facet Secondary Gene: Butterfly Secondary Gene: Toxin

Remove Gene: Tertiary Tertiary Gene: Underbelly Tertiary Gene: Thylacine Tertiary Gene: Crackle Tertiary Gene: Smoke Tertiary Gene: Spines Tertiary Gene: Okapi Tertiary Gene: Gembond Tertiary Gene: Circuit Tertiary Gene: Glimmer Tertiary Gene: Stained

Appearance change is interesting as a Gene Scroll is necessary to make the change genetic. These scrolls will alter the genotype and allow the physical change to be passed down to offspring. However, a phenotypic change is possible without a Scroll and instead are caused by environmental factors. The drawback is the physical change will not be passed down to offspring unless the change is sealed with a Scroll. These changes are the only changes that can be done naturally without a Scroll, and even then it will not alter a dragon on a genetic level.

Tri-Color Scatterscroll

On a related note, appearance change for colors is also similar. However, the environmental impact is more slight as dragons may darken or lighten in shade, but rarely does the color change completely. Also, same as the previous phenotypic change, the environmental color changes do not affect the genotype. Only a Scroll can do that.

Breed Change: Tundra Breed Change: Guardian Breed Change: Fae Breed Change: Mirror Breed Change: Pearlcatcher Breed Change: Ridgeback Breed Change: Spiral Breed Change: Snapper Breed Change: Skydancer Breed Change: Imperial Breed Change: Nocturne Breed Change: Wildclaw Breed Change: Coatl

Breed Change Scrolls cause complete physiological shifts and make the dragon on every level a different breed. Unlike Gene Scrolls, which can complete the change in a day or two, Breed Change Scrolls cause gradual changes over the course of several weeks or even months. The length of time is dependent on how different the dragon's current breed is from the desired breed. Rarity of the breed doesn't affect the time much as the genetic changes are relatively equal in difficulty. For instance, a Skydancer would transform quicker into a Pearlcatcher or vice versa than a Fae to Imperial or Imperial to Fae transformation.

Interestingly, dragons with a strong magic connection and mastery of said magic can greatly speed up the process. They do this by resonating with the Scroll's Magick and imprinting the desired changes into their own magic. They then convert their bodies into magical energy and reconstruct it to fit the template provided by the Scroll. The Scroll also aids in the process as it was intended to do. This is extremely dangerous for those who don't know what they're doing and still risky even for those who do. If the dragon loses focus or unbalances the magicks of the process then they could easily die or become stuck in a mutated form halfway between the two breeds.

Scroll of Maturity Scroll of Eternal Youth

The Scrolls of Maturity and Eternal Youth use Temporal Magick to either accelerate a dragon's growth or freeze it. Scrolls of Maturity are a bit simpler, but cause more fatigue due to the rapid shift in physiology. However, the change can be faster unlike Gene Change Scrolls as there are no genetic shifts. Additionally aging is natural process. To the dragon it will feel as if time has accelerated leaving them feeling exhausted, but not pained. Scrolls of Eternal Youth are a bit trickier. No physical change occurs at all however it is an ongoing piece of Magick. In order to keep the dragon in a Temporal Lock, the Scroll's Magick is tethered to dragon's own magic. A feed back loop between the tethered spell, the dragon's innate magic, and the natural magic of Sorneith keeps the Temporal Lock in place.

Boon of Fertility

While this is not a Scroll it bares mentioning due to the magic involved. Upon initial examination, it may seem to also use Temporal Magick, but this is not so. Instead it creates a channel for the energy of a Deity. If the Deity allows some of their own magic to flow along the channel then the egg(s) of a nest will absorb the magic and hatch immediately. This is not Temporal Magick because there is no physical change to accelerate or freeze.

Unhatched eggs all have fully formed Hatchlings within them. First Generations are created through the magic of Sorneith and a combination of so much genetic material of a particular breed that they technically have hundreds of parents yet with so little in common with any of them they ultimately have no genetic parents. Every subsequent Generation are created through the combination of the magic of the two parents along with their genetic material.

The reason eggs take several days to hatch when the Hatchling is already fully formed is due to the fact that the body has no soul. The egg serves as protection for the vulnerable body of a Hatchling while a soul attaches to the form over the period of 6 days. Therefore, rather than Temporal Magick the magic of a Deity creates Soul Magick which instantly forms the connection between body and soul thus allowing the egg(s) to hatch immediately.

A quirk of the body and soul being connected by a Deity often makes these dragons more resistant to death. Since their body and soul are bound so tightly these dragons often manage to stay alive through injuries or sickness more grievous than what others can handle. This can be both a benefit and a deficit as the body is not sturdier than a normal dragon so they suffer from their injuries or sickness without the relief of death.

The fertility part of the name is a bit of a misnomer. There is not an increase in the number of eggs nor are the dragons born of this boon likely to have larger nests. However, the magic of a Deity is strong, no matter how slight, and it lingers in their bodies. Dragons born once removed from the boon may also be more resistant to death. However, births removed by any more generations are unlikely to have that stronger than average body-soul connection.

There is no social stigma involved with using any of these Scrolls or calling upon the Boon. As Ira'vighet emphasizes choice, individuality, and knowing oneself the choice to use a Scroll or Boon is seen as an extension of this.
78MhYKy.pngWiki-wordmark.png78MhYKy.png
@Lopika [quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] The only scrolls that are normally bought are Scrolls of Renaming, though the more skilled enchanters of the realm also produce Scrolls of Maturity and Scrolls of Eternal Youth commercially. Scrolls of Renaming ore the simplest of all scrolls as they are essentially official paperwork; the only enchantment on the paper simply changes all recorded instances of that dragon’s name to their new name for the convince of Scribes and Record Keepers. These scrolls are most relevant during a Name-Passing but, again, are basically the paperwork filed at the end. Scrolls of Maturity are the next least special scroll as all they do is accelerate a dragon through the relatively short growth period of growth. Hatchlings are expected to eat a lot before and after the application of the scroll. As the scroll (A long and tedious spell to prepare, hence its storage on parchment) is being applied another high-leveled dragon must push some of their magic to the growing dragon to prevent a deadly energy deficit. Scrolls of Eternal Youth, like Scrolls of Maturity, can also be bought or prepared by an advanced mage. In the short term these scrolls are much less strenuous but there are some long term side effects. A Scroll of Eternal Youth halts the growth of a dragon by mutating some the cell receptors for the proteins required for proper aging, unfortunately as a result this slightly effects certain metabolic that cause ‘permababy’ dragons to heal slower than a regular dragon. As a result of their permanently higher neuroplasticity these dragons can pick up new information at an astounding rate but tend to have inhibited development of the hippocampus and so have poor long-term memory. Next we get to the more complex scrolls: Scatter Scrolls, Gene Scrolls, and Breed Change Scrolls. Overall, these scrolls work in the same way. Either of these scrolls must be prepared by a mage and a priest in a lengthy and expensive ritual, the scroll is then left for 6 days on the Arcanist’s Shrine as it has the highest concentration of magical energies. During this process a scrap of the to-b-changed dragon’s scales, feathers, or fur can be wrapped in the scroll to ‘personalize’ it towards them and reduce the chance of something going wrong. After the scroll is ‘charged’ it is applied to the dragons. The exception is a Scatter Scroll, which can charge in a day or two. Tri-Color Scatter Scrolls are the easiest to use; a dragon can apply this scroll by themself. The magic of the Arcane Flight is a powerful mutagen but normally Arcane dragons are totally immune to its effects (foreign dragons must carry a special amulet during short visits and undergo a special ritual if they wish to safely reside in the Starfall Isles). A Tri-Color Scatter Scrolls simply removes this protection only from the genes causing color effecting color for exactly one day; this is enough time for these genes to mutate and cause the dragon to change color. The inherent magic of the scroll prevents any harmful mutations from occurring. Gene scrolls would be the next ‘tier’ of scroll. A dragon carries in its DNA a copy of every gene that appears in its linage, however only one of each type of gene (primary, secondary, tertiary) is expressed. To change this, the dragon and a priest focus on the desired gene as the scroll is applied and the magic switches off the gene causing the current patter expression and switches on the desired one. A dragon attempting this on their own can result in improper gene activation and deactivation. Dragons that want a gene not in their lineage follow the same procedure, except this time the scroll must insert the desired DNA before deactivating the old one and activating the new one. Breed Change Scrolls are the most complex scroll, though the degree of complexity can vary slightly depending on the initial and desired breed of the dragon in question. This is a serious procedure and will only be one if the dragon has meditated on the change for no less than a week. The scroll is made by the clan’s High Priest and the priest of the Flight the new dragon breed is native too (for example, the Fire Ambassador would be necessary to create a Coatl Scroll). They will work for 7-10 days to prepare the scroll (using of the changing dragons shedding’s in the process) and charge it for the same amount of time. During this time the dragon who will be changing must meditate and absorb as much magic as their body can handle. During the actual change the two priests, the Clan Healer, and the Matriarch will bring the dragon-to-be-changed to the ritual room. There, they will activate the scroll and invoke the power of the Arcanist causing the dragon to change species. From there, they are moved to the Healing Ward where they will remain until they have recovered from this draining and strenuous change. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This question gave my friend @ShikaRae and I [b]a lot[/b] of thoughts about dragon biology and [i]science[/i] which she's posting in a follow up post. [b][i][u]Brace yourselves, science is coming[/u][/i][/b].[i][/i]
@Lopika
Quote:

The only scrolls that are normally bought are Scrolls of Renaming, though the more skilled enchanters of the realm also produce Scrolls of Maturity and Scrolls of Eternal Youth commercially.

Scrolls of Renaming ore the simplest of all scrolls as they are essentially official paperwork; the only enchantment on the paper simply changes all recorded instances of that dragon’s name to their new name for the convince of Scribes and Record Keepers. These scrolls are most relevant during a Name-Passing but, again, are basically the paperwork filed at the end.

Scrolls of Maturity are the next least special scroll as all they do is accelerate a dragon through the relatively short growth period of growth. Hatchlings are expected to eat a lot before and after the application of the scroll. As the scroll (A long and tedious spell to prepare, hence its storage on parchment) is being applied another high-leveled dragon must push some of their magic to the growing dragon to prevent a deadly energy deficit.

Scrolls of Eternal Youth, like Scrolls of Maturity, can also be bought or prepared by an advanced mage. In the short term these scrolls are much less strenuous but there are some long term side effects. A Scroll of Eternal Youth halts the growth of a dragon by mutating some the cell receptors for the proteins required for proper aging, unfortunately as a result this slightly effects certain metabolic that cause ‘permababy’ dragons to heal slower than a regular dragon. As a result of their permanently higher neuroplasticity these dragons can pick up new information at an astounding rate but tend to have inhibited development of the hippocampus and so have poor long-term memory.

Next we get to the more complex scrolls: Scatter Scrolls, Gene Scrolls, and Breed Change Scrolls.
Overall, these scrolls work in the same way. Either of these scrolls must be prepared by a mage and a priest in a lengthy and expensive ritual, the scroll is then left for 6 days on the Arcanist’s Shrine as it has the highest concentration of magical energies. During this process a scrap of the to-b-changed dragon’s scales, feathers, or fur can be wrapped in the scroll to ‘personalize’ it towards them and reduce the chance of something going wrong. After the scroll is ‘charged’ it is applied to the dragons. The exception is a Scatter Scroll, which can charge in a day or two.

Tri-Color Scatter Scrolls are the easiest to use; a dragon can apply this scroll by themself. The magic of the Arcane Flight is a powerful mutagen but normally Arcane dragons are totally immune to its effects (foreign dragons must carry a special amulet during short visits and undergo a special ritual if they wish to safely reside in the Starfall Isles). A Tri-Color Scatter Scrolls simply removes this protection only from the genes causing color effecting color for exactly one day; this is enough time for these genes to mutate and cause the dragon to change color. The inherent magic of the scroll prevents any harmful mutations from occurring.

Gene scrolls would be the next ‘tier’ of scroll. A dragon carries in its DNA a copy of every gene that appears in its linage, however only one of each type of gene (primary, secondary, tertiary) is expressed. To change this, the dragon and a priest focus on the desired gene as the scroll is applied and the magic switches off the gene causing the current patter expression and switches on the desired one. A dragon attempting this on their own can result in improper gene activation and deactivation.
Dragons that want a gene not in their lineage follow the same procedure, except this time the scroll must insert the desired DNA before deactivating the old one and activating the new one.

Breed Change Scrolls are the most complex scroll, though the degree of complexity can vary slightly depending on the initial and desired breed of the dragon in question. This is a serious procedure and will only be one if the dragon has meditated on the change for no less than a week. The scroll is made by the clan’s High Priest and the priest of the Flight the new dragon breed is native too (for example, the Fire Ambassador would be necessary to create a Coatl Scroll). They will work for 7-10 days to prepare the scroll (using of the changing dragons shedding’s in the process) and charge it for the same amount of time. During this time the dragon who will be changing must meditate and absorb as much magic as their body can handle.
During the actual change the two priests, the Clan Healer, and the Matriarch will bring the dragon-to-be-changed to the ritual room. There, they will activate the scroll and invoke the power of the Arcanist causing the dragon to change species. From there, they are moved to the Healing Ward where they will remain until they have recovered from this draining and strenuous change.

This question gave my friend @ShikaRae and I a lot of thoughts about dragon biology and science which she's posting in a follow up post. Brace yourselves, science is coming.
Wiki-wordmark.png
@Lopika

Colorsoutofspace is my friend and started asking questions and now I have to expand on some things goddamnit lol. She and I share similar opinions and any mention of biology will likely be shared between us. If you would like we could create a separate thread that addresses dragon biology because we are an incredible level of nerdiness.

You don't actually need to read this one if you don't want to.

Dragons are inherently magical creatures. They are born with innate wild magic that is unique to them and is infused into their flesh. This magic can regenerate and the amount they have available grows with practice. Due to the volatility of magic it's actually their storage capacity that grows. Every cell of their bodies is brimming with traces of their magic. Again how much a cell can hold without succumbing to apoptosis increases with practice.

The ability to wield their magic is a bit more complicated. Every naturally created cell in the dragon's body has a unique organelle that filters the wild magic in their bodies and makes it more malleable. Dragons have an additional nervous system that runs along the Central and Peripheral systems. This is simply called the Magical Nervous System (MNS). This system allows external and internal magic to be sensed and manipulated. The wild magic of Sorneith is hard to sense as is the unconverted magic inherent in a dragon. Once magic is converted it is much easier to sense and now available for manipulation. The development of the MNS varies between species. Fae, for instance, have a highly developed MNS as do Skydancers. However, the Skydancer's MNS has more interconnections with the Peripheral Nervous System granting them greater sensing abilities while the Fae's MNS has a greater connection with the Central Nervous Systems granting them better control.

This infusion of magic in every cell of the dragon's body is what allows them to be sensitive to environmental changes. Cells will mutate or differentiate differently if they're exposed to repeated stimulus. Thus color change and gene change is possible without the use of scrolls. However, this will not affect the dragon's DNA nor the DNA in their gametes making it impossible to pass onto their children. The Scrolls provide the stimulus needed to alter the cells so an appearance change is quickly apparent while also providing the coding and restructuring needed to alter the DNA.

The Temporal Lock involved in the Scrolls of Eternal Youth does have some consequences. It freezes the processes of the dragon in their youthful state. This grants them an enhanced capability to learn while inhibiting their abilities to form long term memories. It also stunts their emotional maturity.

There is also a greater danger involved with the Scrolls of Eternal Youth due to it being the only ongoing piece of magick. The feedback loop between the magic of Sorneith, the magic of the dragon, and the Scroll can be dangerous in certain circumstances.

If a dragon becomes drained of their natural magic the loop becomes destabilized. The wild magic of Sorneith is much stronger than any magic a dragon can naturally generate themselves. Without the buffer of a dragon's magic in their cells the influx of Sorneith's magic causes necrosis. If the dragon's magic is not quickly bolstered they will die. Unfortunately even if they survive their ability to use magic will be inhibited. This is because traces of Sorneith's magic will linger in the tissue. When new cells are created or cell division is increased (depending on the healing used) the traces of Sorneith's magic damage the sensitive organelles used for converting magic.

Breed Changing happens slowly over time as I previously said. This is done on a gradient where the changes cannot be easily spotted as they're occurring, but the comparison of the starting point and a time point say a week from then would show noticeable differences.

The dangers trying to accelerate the process are in danger of dying for obvious reasons. The problems with accidentally settling in a halfway point are a little less clear.

First of all, they are unstable. Even when the process is done uninterrupted by the Scroll they are unstable during the transformation process. However, there are protections built into the magick of the Scrolls and the changes all carefully build on one another. (As a side effect dragons cannot perform magic while they are transforming). When a dragon rushes it all the changes are trying to occur at once making an intermediate form they could become stuck in wildly more unstable. Additionally, their bodies are often grotesque. For instance, they may end up with the front limbs of a Fae the hind limbs of an imperial and the rest of their body a twisted mutation of both.

Secondly, there is no natural Scroll that could fix the transformation. Scrolls are carefully structured to have an open end that will encode the dragon's starting breed and a set ending point for the desired breed. The magick weaves a careful schematic that will allow for a protected transformation. There is no way to safely code the starting point of a genetically unstable dragon.

And that's about it. If you have read this far, first of all wow. Second of all I'm so sorry. (Colorsoutofspace is not sorry) Arcanist Bless You.
@Lopika

Colorsoutofspace is my friend and started asking questions and now I have to expand on some things goddamnit lol. She and I share similar opinions and any mention of biology will likely be shared between us. If you would like we could create a separate thread that addresses dragon biology because we are an incredible level of nerdiness.

You don't actually need to read this one if you don't want to.

Dragons are inherently magical creatures. They are born with innate wild magic that is unique to them and is infused into their flesh. This magic can regenerate and the amount they have available grows with practice. Due to the volatility of magic it's actually their storage capacity that grows. Every cell of their bodies is brimming with traces of their magic. Again how much a cell can hold without succumbing to apoptosis increases with practice.

The ability to wield their magic is a bit more complicated. Every naturally created cell in the dragon's body has a unique organelle that filters the wild magic in their bodies and makes it more malleable. Dragons have an additional nervous system that runs along the Central and Peripheral systems. This is simply called the Magical Nervous System (MNS). This system allows external and internal magic to be sensed and manipulated. The wild magic of Sorneith is hard to sense as is the unconverted magic inherent in a dragon. Once magic is converted it is much easier to sense and now available for manipulation. The development of the MNS varies between species. Fae, for instance, have a highly developed MNS as do Skydancers. However, the Skydancer's MNS has more interconnections with the Peripheral Nervous System granting them greater sensing abilities while the Fae's MNS has a greater connection with the Central Nervous Systems granting them better control.

This infusion of magic in every cell of the dragon's body is what allows them to be sensitive to environmental changes. Cells will mutate or differentiate differently if they're exposed to repeated stimulus. Thus color change and gene change is possible without the use of scrolls. However, this will not affect the dragon's DNA nor the DNA in their gametes making it impossible to pass onto their children. The Scrolls provide the stimulus needed to alter the cells so an appearance change is quickly apparent while also providing the coding and restructuring needed to alter the DNA.

The Temporal Lock involved in the Scrolls of Eternal Youth does have some consequences. It freezes the processes of the dragon in their youthful state. This grants them an enhanced capability to learn while inhibiting their abilities to form long term memories. It also stunts their emotional maturity.

There is also a greater danger involved with the Scrolls of Eternal Youth due to it being the only ongoing piece of magick. The feedback loop between the magic of Sorneith, the magic of the dragon, and the Scroll can be dangerous in certain circumstances.

If a dragon becomes drained of their natural magic the loop becomes destabilized. The wild magic of Sorneith is much stronger than any magic a dragon can naturally generate themselves. Without the buffer of a dragon's magic in their cells the influx of Sorneith's magic causes necrosis. If the dragon's magic is not quickly bolstered they will die. Unfortunately even if they survive their ability to use magic will be inhibited. This is because traces of Sorneith's magic will linger in the tissue. When new cells are created or cell division is increased (depending on the healing used) the traces of Sorneith's magic damage the sensitive organelles used for converting magic.

Breed Changing happens slowly over time as I previously said. This is done on a gradient where the changes cannot be easily spotted as they're occurring, but the comparison of the starting point and a time point say a week from then would show noticeable differences.

The dangers trying to accelerate the process are in danger of dying for obvious reasons. The problems with accidentally settling in a halfway point are a little less clear.

First of all, they are unstable. Even when the process is done uninterrupted by the Scroll they are unstable during the transformation process. However, there are protections built into the magick of the Scrolls and the changes all carefully build on one another. (As a side effect dragons cannot perform magic while they are transforming). When a dragon rushes it all the changes are trying to occur at once making an intermediate form they could become stuck in wildly more unstable. Additionally, their bodies are often grotesque. For instance, they may end up with the front limbs of a Fae the hind limbs of an imperial and the rest of their body a twisted mutation of both.

Secondly, there is no natural Scroll that could fix the transformation. Scrolls are carefully structured to have an open end that will encode the dragon's starting breed and a set ending point for the desired breed. The magick weaves a careful schematic that will allow for a protected transformation. There is no way to safely code the starting point of a genetically unstable dragon.

And that's about it. If you have read this far, first of all wow. Second of all I'm so sorry. (Colorsoutofspace is not sorry) Arcanist Bless You.
78MhYKy.pngWiki-wordmark.png78MhYKy.png
[center][quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=21115927] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/211160/21115927_350.png[/img] [/url] Scrolls are not really frowned upon but they aren't used so openly either. Its changing the core genes of the dragons and not all dragons agree with it. There are some dragons that suffer from the crackle gene from the Plague flight and use the scroll to remove them. But when it comes to cosmetic its not used a lot. Especially when the scrolls are used to change the breed. Some dragons say its a crime against nature.[/center]
Quote:

21115927_350.png

Scrolls are not really frowned upon but they aren't used so openly either. Its changing the core genes of the dragons and not all dragons agree with it. There are some dragons that suffer from the crackle gene from the Plague flight and use the scroll to remove them. But when it comes to cosmetic its not used a lot. Especially when the scrolls are used to change the breed. Some dragons say its a crime against nature.
jyoV0R5.pngk5Bqzwg.pngYpi7anQ.pngkDGtg6p.png
[quote]How do you feel about scrolls? Do you buy them? Are they enchanted by strong magic? Are they found? Are they considered an honorable gift? What about breed change scrolls? Gene change scrolls? Do the dragons know what will happen to them?[/quote] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=229614] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/2297/229614_350.png[/img] [/url] Achetae here was born fae, changed to skydancer, and I changed back to fae. His lore will surround entirely about being changed to a magic-senistive dragon both to gain the understanding of other dragon's speech and a wider understanding of magic (sneaky Arcanist!) Dragons who breed change maintain SOME sort of aspect of their previous forms, and so this fae has the ability to hone magic the same way a skydancer can. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=115176] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/1152/115176_350.png[/img] [/url] I love Sycamore's past clutches because it looks like he was changed for each different area he's been in, and so his lore heavily surrounds the idea that the deities [i]adore[/i] him for one reason or the other. Several other of my ambassadors have had changes in the past by past owners and me, and will have future changes also. So for me, for now, breed and gene changes go heavily back to the deities blessings (or cursings). There are no scrolls, they are decisions by the deities. They can be very sudden without warning, or very slow without warning---or with warning both ways, but either way, it is not a thing that dragons can just simply decide to do or purchase. Breed changes also have the effect of sending a dragon back to their best age health-wise (roughly 25 years old) and healing them. I suppose gene changes have some, though maybe not thoroughly, of that same effect. Again, Sycamore I gave Thy to, and for the mo-oment I'm thinking it was a blessing of Icewarden (maybe, he's sort of antagonistic to the emissaries) to free a touch of shade on him so it wouldn't invade any further, thus killing the shade off---But it has some residual effects on Sycamore, like the appearance change. However, it could also be a blessing from Shadowbinder to infuse more shadow magic into him. I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely leaning toward gene changes being marks of blessings more specific than "to preserve your life and make you resemble MY dragon-type."
Quote:

229614_350.png

Achetae here was born fae, changed to skydancer, and I changed back to fae. His lore will surround entirely about being changed to a magic-senistive dragon both to gain the understanding of other dragon's speech and a wider understanding of magic (sneaky Arcanist!) Dragons who breed change maintain SOME sort of aspect of their previous forms, and so this fae has the ability to hone magic the same way a skydancer can.

115176_350.png

I love Sycamore's past clutches because it looks like he was changed for each different area he's been in, and so his lore heavily surrounds the idea that the deities adore him for one reason or the other.

Several other of my ambassadors have had changes in the past by past owners and me, and will have future changes also.

So for me, for now, breed and gene changes go heavily back to the deities blessings (or cursings). There are no scrolls, they are decisions by the deities. They can be very sudden without warning, or very slow without warning---or with warning both ways, but either way, it is not a thing that dragons can just simply decide to do or purchase.

Breed changes also have the effect of sending a dragon back to their best age health-wise (roughly 25 years old) and healing them. I suppose gene changes have some, though maybe not thoroughly, of that same effect. Again, Sycamore I gave Thy to, and for the mo-oment I'm thinking it was a blessing of Icewarden (maybe, he's sort of antagonistic to the emissaries) to free a touch of shade on him so it wouldn't invade any further, thus killing the shade off---But it has some residual effects on Sycamore, like the appearance change. However, it could also be a blessing from Shadowbinder to infuse more shadow magic into him. I haven't decided yet, but I'm definitely leaning toward gene changes being marks of blessings more specific than "to preserve your life and make you resemble MY dragon-type."

Mostly hiatus-ing. PMs are the easiest way to contact me at the moment, but expect lots of time for it to get noticed.
1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 417 418