Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | (constructively) roast my arts (earn g)
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
@Mintiani that looks adorable!! i think you handled shading/lighting well!
@Mintiani that looks adorable!! i think you handled shading/lighting well!
@Kuroikari

aaaw thank you :O
@Kuroikari

aaaw thank you :O
@Mintiani Hmm... this one's tough! Before I go over what you can do to improve your drawing I will remind you why artists shade: to give the illusion of depth to their audience - that is, to make the drawing look 3D, or pop out. Alright, so to enhance shading I will recommend adding gradients to the colours (I don't cell shade so I'm not exactly sure what techniques to use, or what techniques there are out there). In most digital art programs there is a Gradient Tool, often shown by a rectangular icon with a gradient in it. It helps give flat colours something less... well, flat. E.g. [img]http://img01.deviantart.net/22e6/i/2013/311/b/4/tarcan___cel_shading_by_nondev-d6ted6t.jpg[/img](pretty subtle, but you may notice gradient shadows on the tail plates and other areas) I noticed that a few shadows were a bit wobbly and dotty, and I think they'll look nicer if they were smoother at the edges. Making Correction higher might help keep brush strokes smooth. (not sure if Correction is available in all programs, as I mostly use Medibang) I'm guessing the number is your FR User ID number - note that it may look a bit distracting since it stands by itself on one side of the dragon. I suggest writing/typing it in a way that curves with the mirror's neck, so it matches more; and/or making it slightly transparent. I think the way you drew with the mirror looks awesome overall though :) The highlights are well placed and the lineart looks impeccable! Keep it up ;)
@Mintiani
Hmm... this one's tough! Before I go over what you can do to improve your drawing I will remind you why artists shade: to give the illusion of depth to their audience - that is, to make the drawing look 3D, or pop out.
Alright, so to enhance shading I will recommend adding gradients to the colours (I don't cell shade so I'm not exactly sure what techniques to use, or what techniques there are out there). In most digital art programs there is a Gradient Tool, often shown by a rectangular icon with a gradient in it. It helps give flat colours something less... well, flat.
E.g. tarcan___cel_shading_by_nondev-d6ted6t.jpg(pretty subtle, but you may notice gradient shadows on the tail plates and other areas)

I noticed that a few shadows were a bit wobbly and dotty, and I think they'll look nicer if they were smoother at the edges. Making Correction higher might help keep brush strokes smooth. (not sure if Correction is available in all programs, as I mostly use Medibang)

I'm guessing the number is your FR User ID number - note that it may look a bit distracting since it stands by itself on one side of the dragon. I suggest writing/typing it in a way that curves with the mirror's neck, so it matches more; and/or making it slightly transparent.

I think the way you drew with the mirror looks awesome overall though :) The highlights are well placed and the lineart looks impeccable! Keep it up ;)
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
First time drawing a human in a while. Was the only "successful" sketch out of maybe a dozen? I'd rather food around with he sketch before coloring, like I did before so lay it on me! Roast roast roast!! [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/l3GBMeL.png[/img][/center] Pinglist: @Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon
First time drawing a human in a while. Was the only "successful" sketch out of maybe a dozen? I'd rather food around with he sketch before coloring, like I did before so lay it on me! Roast roast roast!!
l3GBMeL.png

Pinglist: @Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon
@Mintiani

Add me to ping

Also, the face is a bit wide and a little off-center.
@Mintiani

Add me to ping

Also, the face is a bit wide and a little off-center.

arlo
she/her
x
x
x
udnr2stnif0dt4h7-13862.gif
@sunglassesarlo

sure and thanks for pointig that out!
@sunglassesarlo

sure and thanks for pointig that out!
[b][/b]@Mintiani Ooh! As soon as im back from an appointment I'll go over a few things! I really like that youre experimenting more with lines here, like with the crosshatching on her skirt. ----- Edits: [img]https://i.gyazo.com/04cb4b1feeb7de33ffff869a20403d5e.jpg[/img] Primarily I just wanted to highlight the common case of [b]furry line syndrome[/b] that comes from tentative, short line strokes. This will go away with practice and as you gain more confidence with lines, so don't worry too much! I would just recommend making a conscious effort to pick up your pencil as little as possible within one line segment (for example, using only one line to draw the inside or outside of a thigh or calf). A trick to practice and gain more confidence might be to exercise [b]gesture drawings[/b], where you attempt to capture the essence of an image without worrying about exact details. [url=https://www.quickposes.com/en/gestures/timed][color=blue][u]Quickposes [/url]is an excellent website to practice this (be mindful of your settings though, there are artistic nudes). You can check out [url=https://sta.sh/01kuo4e39con][color=blue][u]this exercise page I did[/url] using that website for an example of how to capture those images. I'm not sure your level of education with types of lines, but I just included hatching for a line texture example since I feel it's very easy to get the hang of and it's fairly quick. [url=https://www.pinterest.com/pin/452541462530221132/][color=blue][u]Here's a great example of the look you can create with hatching[/url]. Besides hatching, there's also [b]stippling[/b], where you shade with tiny dots, and a sort of free-form method where you can use squiggles or zigzags or whatever your heart desires (this can get messy fairly quickly, however, so I would advise attempting other line texturing styles on scratch sheets). [sup][color=purple][b]1[/b][/sup]Another exercise you can do is to copy as many references as possible in your sketchbooks. [i]Wait, did she just tell me to blatantly copy references??[/i] YES !! Fight the stigma! Artists need references to be able to draw from life correctly. If you can master being able to transfer what your eyes are seeing onto paper correctly, then your exercises will be even more useful to you. Mastering technical skill will make your work stand out above the rest and get you into the big league in no time. [url=https://sta.sh/22c5ikhu8dff][color=blue][u]Have a look at what I mean,[/url] courtesy of my 6th-7th grade Facebook album (minus the Zootopia sheet, that was more recent). When I started to get serious about improving my skills, all I did was copy what I loved to look at. Now these aren't perfect by any means, but it's just to give an example.To give you some perspective as well, I'm nearly 21 years old. ----- [sup][color=purple][b]1[/b][/sup]Either keep what you've been practicing on in your sketchbook, or give [u]excessive [/u]amount of credit to the image you drew from and the original artist when posting anywhere publicly!
@Mintiani
Ooh! As soon as im back from an appointment I'll go over a few things! I really like that youre experimenting more with lines here, like with the crosshatching on her skirt.
Edits:
04cb4b1feeb7de33ffff869a20403d5e.jpg
Primarily I just wanted to highlight the common case of furry line syndrome that comes from tentative, short line strokes. This will go away with practice and as you gain more confidence with lines, so don't worry too much! I would just recommend making a conscious effort to pick up your pencil as little as possible within one line segment (for example, using only one line to draw the inside or outside of a thigh or calf). A trick to practice and gain more confidence might be to exercise gesture drawings, where you attempt to capture the essence of an image without worrying about exact details. Quickposes is an excellent website to practice this (be mindful of your settings though, there are artistic nudes). You can check out this exercise page I did using that website for an example of how to capture those images.

I'm not sure your level of education with types of lines, but I just included hatching for a line texture example since I feel it's very easy to get the hang of and it's fairly quick. Here's a great example of the look you can create with hatching. Besides hatching, there's also stippling, where you shade with tiny dots, and a sort of free-form method where you can use squiggles or zigzags or whatever your heart desires (this can get messy fairly quickly, however, so I would advise attempting other line texturing styles on scratch sheets).

1Another exercise you can do is to copy as many references as possible in your sketchbooks. Wait, did she just tell me to blatantly copy references?? YES !! Fight the stigma! Artists need references to be able to draw from life correctly. If you can master being able to transfer what your eyes are seeing onto paper correctly, then your exercises will be even more useful to you. Mastering technical skill will make your work stand out above the rest and get you into the big league in no time. Have a look at what I mean, courtesy of my 6th-7th grade Facebook album (minus the Zootopia sheet, that was more recent). When I started to get serious about improving my skills, all I did was copy what I loved to look at. Now these aren't perfect by any means, but it's just to give an example.To give you some perspective as well, I'm nearly 21 years old.

1Either keep what you've been practicing on in your sketchbook, or give excessive amount of credit to the image you drew from and the original artist when posting anywhere publicly!
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
@Digsie

wah, you're amazing as usual! I learned a little about cross hatching and such and how to hold the utsensil differently when I took art back in ~Junior High~ (for perspective, we're the same age!!), and I regret the fact that I didn't really care much about art back then (or rather, i did, but all I cared about was making pages and pages of crappy chibi, anime, and my little pony drawings). The illustration really helps!

I'll for sure do some exercises with quick poses. I plan to do a few studies of hands and feet sometime soon as well!
@Digsie

wah, you're amazing as usual! I learned a little about cross hatching and such and how to hold the utsensil differently when I took art back in ~Junior High~ (for perspective, we're the same age!!), and I regret the fact that I didn't really care much about art back then (or rather, i did, but all I cared about was making pages and pages of crappy chibi, anime, and my little pony drawings). The illustration really helps!

I'll for sure do some exercises with quick poses. I plan to do a few studies of hands and feet sometime soon as well!
@Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @SunglassesArlo @coyotewest I colored the thing after correcting it. I like the proportions a lot more. This is my first time doing a lineless painting and it kind of sucks? (actually, its really really bad) It should be more detailed, but I'm not sure how to do that with clothes/skin... [img]https://i.imgur.com/wVwpAYK.png[/img]
@Kuroikari @digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @SunglassesArlo @coyotewest

I colored the thing after correcting it. I like the proportions a lot more. This is my first time doing a lineless painting and it kind of sucks? (actually, its really really bad) It should be more detailed, but I'm not sure how to do that with clothes/skin...
wVwpAYK.png
@Mintiani
You draw humans better than me, so don't worry!
The only big problems I could find were:

- Draw more wrinkles in the clothes! Particularly the armpit, sleeves, and where the clothes meet the waist/hips
- The left knee (the one at an angle/slightly bent) should have some better proportions? Maybe? The leg shouldn't thin out so much at the kneecaps.

If anybody finds whatever I said to be incorrect/added on to, feel free!
@Mintiani
You draw humans better than me, so don't worry!
The only big problems I could find were:

- Draw more wrinkles in the clothes! Particularly the armpit, sleeves, and where the clothes meet the waist/hips
- The left knee (the one at an angle/slightly bent) should have some better proportions? Maybe? The leg shouldn't thin out so much at the kneecaps.

If anybody finds whatever I said to be incorrect/added on to, feel free!
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17