Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | (constructively) roast my arts (earn g)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17
@rochester

thanks a lot! I completely forgot about the burn and dodge tool. I might try it out later today.

@Digsie

holy wow this is incredibly useful! Thanks so much! Don't worry about taking away from other posters haha I rarely get more than 3 responders. You've given me a lot to think about for future works and I'll try to do thsoe changes to the linework today, as I totally agree with you. it should be a lot easier to work with line widths in the future now that I know all of that.

Thank you for the compliments to! Very motivating ^^
@rochester

thanks a lot! I completely forgot about the burn and dodge tool. I might try it out later today.

@Digsie

holy wow this is incredibly useful! Thanks so much! Don't worry about taking away from other posters haha I rarely get more than 3 responders. You've given me a lot to think about for future works and I'll try to do thsoe changes to the linework today, as I totally agree with you. it should be a lot easier to work with line widths in the future now that I know all of that.

Thank you for the compliments to! Very motivating ^^
@/Mintiani Take your time! The improvement of artwork never stops, it's always going to be a journey that you can take at your own pace in a hobbyist setting. And please keep me updated with any drawings you make to practice these concepts, it's so exciting to watch artists grow. Here're some pointers for shading and highlighting, too. ----- [b]Shading and highlighting digitally[/b] (with references to functions in Photoshop CS6) No matter your digital art program, most--if not all--will have very similar features. To start applying shadows and highlights to your image, first create your linework on one layer and then your base colors on a separate layer underneath the linework. This will preserve both layers in the instance of any accidents or any desires to only edit one layer while not having any effect on the other. Now that you've drawn on your separate layers, you can create a new layer just above whichever you'd like to start applying shading to. Also, my apologies for any large screenshots, I'm working on a tablet with a large resolution for its physical screen size and can't always estimate correctly how large they'll end up actually being in-browser. [size=4][url=https://i.gyazo.com/e281fdf7c0796cdac78f1467ceca8011.mp4][b][u][color=blue]Please right-click and open this link in a new tab to view the process[/color][/u][/b][/url][/size] With your new layer, set it to be a clipping mask. When this setting is applied, whatever brushstroke you make on that layer will not go outside of the boundaries of the layer directly underneath it. This is one reason why it's very important to work with transparency. After that, you can edit the new layer's [b]layer mode[/b] by changing it to [b]Multiply [/b]for shading. Different programs will have a different selection of layer modes to choose from, but generally, Multiply is the most simple to use and to understand its effects. Not shown, I had also created another new layer and set it to be a clipping mask in the same process. If you have a series of layers set as clipping masks, they will all apply to whichever layer in the chain beneath them is not set to be a clipping mask (meaning they will stack). This layer I set to [b]Screen [/b]for highlighting. Using a color or using a grayscale shade will make an impact on how this shading and highlighting appears. Below I've made an example using the primary red-orange for the Multiply and Screen layers, as well as using grayscale shades. [img]https://i.gyazo.com/3af113458d1b4e982b751e59dac6266e.png[/img] Using a color for the multiply and screen layers [img]https://i.gyazo.com/0134eaa9b45f2c05bda49f64f52a16ac.png[/img] Using a gray for the multiply and screen layers With these examples, the shading and highlighting were applied to the flattened image, meaning these edits spilled outside of the dragon and overrode the pure blackness of the lineart. The drawings you create will look different with the preserved linework. You can also play around with the opacity of your shading and highlighting layers to lessen or intensify these effects. I do not recommend using [b]Dodge [/b]or [b]Burn [/b]tools in photoshop, as these can be difficult to master and anticipate their exact effects on the colors you are working with. They can more easily muddy and gray your colors, or overly saturate and brighten them. Sticking to different layer modes versus those tools will increase the consistency in your coloring and give you more precise control.
@/Mintiani

Take your time! The improvement of artwork never stops, it's always going to be a journey that you can take at your own pace in a hobbyist setting. And please keep me updated with any drawings you make to practice these concepts, it's so exciting to watch artists grow.

Here're some pointers for shading and highlighting, too.

Shading and highlighting digitally (with references to functions in Photoshop CS6)

No matter your digital art program, most--if not all--will have very similar features. To start applying shadows and highlights to your image, first create your linework on one layer and then your base colors on a separate layer underneath the linework. This will preserve both layers in the instance of any accidents or any desires to only edit one layer while not having any effect on the other.

Now that you've drawn on your separate layers, you can create a new layer just above whichever you'd like to start applying shading to. Also, my apologies for any large screenshots, I'm working on a tablet with a large resolution for its physical screen size and can't always estimate correctly how large they'll end up actually being in-browser.

Please right-click and open this link in a new tab to view the process

With your new layer, set it to be a clipping mask. When this setting is applied, whatever brushstroke you make on that layer will not go outside of the boundaries of the layer directly underneath it. This is one reason why it's very important to work with transparency. After that, you can edit the new layer's layer mode by changing it to Multiply for shading. Different programs will have a different selection of layer modes to choose from, but generally, Multiply is the most simple to use and to understand its effects.

Not shown, I had also created another new layer and set it to be a clipping mask in the same process. If you have a series of layers set as clipping masks, they will all apply to whichever layer in the chain beneath them is not set to be a clipping mask (meaning they will stack). This layer I set to Screen for highlighting.

Using a color or using a grayscale shade will make an impact on how this shading and highlighting appears. Below I've made an example using the primary red-orange for the Multiply and Screen layers, as well as using grayscale shades.

3af113458d1b4e982b751e59dac6266e.png
Using a color for the multiply and screen layers

0134eaa9b45f2c05bda49f64f52a16ac.png
Using a gray for the multiply and screen layers

With these examples, the shading and highlighting were applied to the flattened image, meaning these edits spilled outside of the dragon and overrode the pure blackness of the lineart. The drawings you create will look different with the preserved linework. You can also play around with the opacity of your shading and highlighting layers to lessen or intensify these effects.

I do not recommend using Dodge or Burn tools in photoshop, as these can be difficult to master and anticipate their exact effects on the colors you are working with. They can more easily muddy and gray your colors, or overly saturate and brighten them. Sticking to different layer modes versus those tools will increase the consistency in your coloring and give you more precise control.
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
@Digsie oh my lord, thank you for taking the time to type all of this. I'm not sure what to say, other than I'll try my best to learn all of it to the best of my ability! Here is the "corrected" lineart. Is it any better? I really agreed with what you said to me. I made the tail way thinner to make it look like it was fading into the distance... successful? [img]https://i.imgur.com/8sBhqnV.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/sb1YJXg.png[/img]
@Digsie

oh my lord, thank you for taking the time to type all of this. I'm not sure what to say, other than I'll try my best to learn all of it to the best of my ability!

Here is the "corrected" lineart. Is it any better? I really agreed with what you said to me. I made the tail way thinner to make it look like it was fading into the distance... successful?

8sBhqnV.png

sb1YJXg.png
@Mintiani

Heck yeah, look at that! Now your lines are all directing attention to the coatl's pretty face, especially with the movement of the feather lines all curving to "point" at her. There are no overly distracting areas of inappropriate line weight, everything is feeling much more balanced.
@Mintiani

Heck yeah, look at that! Now your lines are all directing attention to the coatl's pretty face, especially with the movement of the feather lines all curving to "point" at her. There are no overly distracting areas of inappropriate line weight, everything is feeling much more balanced.
watershieldl.png85421520.png21406.png24305546.pngfireshieldr.png
@Digsie

thanks agai for all your time! <3
@Digsie

thanks agai for all your time! <3
I shaded the thing! It's messy, but I'm not quite sure how to "clean" it up? It still does't look quite right either... Where did I go wrong... ? [img]https://i.imgur.com/qcY0YRJ.png[/img] Y'all helped me out ebfore, sorry if pings are unwanted ^^' @rochester @Digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @rochester edit: if you just saw this, I;d really appreciate if you could scroll downa little bit and see a recolored version, and let me know if its worse or better than this one D:
I shaded the thing! It's messy, but I'm not quite sure how to "clean" it up? It still does't look quite right either... Where did I go wrong... ?

qcY0YRJ.png

Y'all helped me out ebfore, sorry if pings are unwanted ^^'

@rochester @Digsie @SuperNinjaDragon @rochester

edit: if you just saw this, I;d really appreciate if you could scroll downa little bit and see a recolored version, and let me know if its worse or better than this one D:
@Mintiani I love how your artwork turned out, especially the eyes :) Good job! I can see tons of improvement from the first drawing you posted on this thread. I decided to draw stuff up, since I'm not very good with words. I can't write very well digitally and I couldn't fit much info in - so if you need further explanation just ask me ;) [img]https://pre00.deviantart.net/bdf7/th/pre/i/2018/023/0/5/art_stuffs_for_mintiani_by_sunidr-dc0zd8g.png[/img]
@Mintiani
I love how your artwork turned out, especially the eyes :) Good job! I can see tons of improvement from the first drawing you posted on this thread.

I decided to draw stuff up, since I'm not very good with words. I can't write very well digitally and I couldn't fit much info in - so if you need further explanation just ask me ;)

art_stuffs_for_mintiani_by_sunidr-dc0zd8g.png
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
@SuperNinjaDragon

oh my god, this is super helpful! Thanks so much! :O

I actually have to color it again since I forgot to make a backup and accidentally deleted the .psd :x

I'm really not good with color picking so I've done it all using a light grey and the multiple layer blending option for shading and screening for lightning, like what digsie exemplified. Next time, I will try your method! I also hope to try the more realistic shading method, but since I'm already 85% done recoloring, i'll stick with the patchy shading for now. I've always been a fan of "rougher" looking work :)

I'll try making my wings more consistent at that time too! The base sketch was rough and quickly done (I am a very impatient person and it tends to show in all my art) so I need to be way mroe mindful of consistency it seems.

would you mind if I ping you when I finish shading again / have another drawing to critique?

@SuperNinjaDragon

oh my god, this is super helpful! Thanks so much! :O

I actually have to color it again since I forgot to make a backup and accidentally deleted the .psd :x

I'm really not good with color picking so I've done it all using a light grey and the multiple layer blending option for shading and screening for lightning, like what digsie exemplified. Next time, I will try your method! I also hope to try the more realistic shading method, but since I'm already 85% done recoloring, i'll stick with the patchy shading for now. I've always been a fan of "rougher" looking work :)

I'll try making my wings more consistent at that time too! The base sketch was rough and quickly done (I am a very impatient person and it tends to show in all my art) so I need to be way mroe mindful of consistency it seems.

would you mind if I ping you when I finish shading again / have another drawing to critique?

ok so I accidently deleted the .psd for the image above so here's attempt number 2? Is it better? Is it worse? [img]https://i.imgur.com/DYgl9lo.png[/img]
ok so I accidently deleted the .psd for the image above so here's attempt number 2? Is it better? Is it worse?

DYgl9lo.png
@Mintiani Oh no! I hate it when I delete my data D: Once I lost an assignment that took half a year to do... but's that's another story. [quote]would you mind if I ping you when I finish shading again / have another drawing to critique?[/quote] Yes! Ping me again! I love doing these, hehe :) On my opinion, the second one is better. But why? Let's examine why: 1) Flame creates interesting light source and looks pretty rad! 2) More colours make the painting less dull 3) Rosette spots are more clear - better contrast 4) Better detail - shading on head feathers are more specific I also suggest making the further wing and the end of the tail (the parts which are further away) slightly match the background colour. For example, if the background is white make the further wing and tail tip very very slightly whiter. Maybe by using another layer, clipping it on top, then carefully painting on white. Applies especially in landscapes, although I forgot the cause of this phenomenon. E.g. [img]http://www.bluemts.com.au/imagesDB/bg_images/Pulpit_Rock_02141.jpg[/img] Hope this helps in some way :)
@Mintiani
Oh no! I hate it when I delete my data D: Once I lost an assignment that took half a year to do... but's that's another story.
Quote:
Yes! Ping me again! I love doing these, hehe :)

On my opinion, the second one is better. But why? Let's examine why:
1) Flame creates interesting light source and looks pretty rad!
2) More colours make the painting less dull
3) Rosette spots are more clear - better contrast
4) Better detail - shading on head feathers are more specific

I also suggest making the further wing and the end of the tail (the parts which are further away) slightly match the background colour. For example, if the background is white make the further wing and tail tip very very slightly whiter. Maybe by using another layer, clipping it on top, then carefully painting on white.

Applies especially in landscapes, although I forgot the cause of this phenomenon.

E.g. Pulpit_Rock_02141.jpg

Hope this helps in some way :)
tumblr_opn7kiKzTA1wnxxc9o1_100.pngfT9pA9Y.gifHW6ASYa.png07_SuperNinjaDragon.giftumblr_opn6d7mJiG1wnxxc9o1_100.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 17