Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | I wish I could draw better digitally
So here's something I doodled today that I really like :3 [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JqB4mzT.jpg[/IMG] And something I drew a few days ago digitally :V [img]http://i.imgur.com/BTfzTNJ.jpg[/img] I hate how I draw digitally.. what's your opinion and do you have any tips or tricks for better digital drawing? I feel like I can't retain my style while drawing digitally and I hate it, but I love the options and possibilities digital drawing provides
So here's something I doodled today that I really like :3
JqB4mzT.jpg

And something I drew a few days ago digitally :V
BTfzTNJ.jpg

I hate how I draw digitally.. what's your opinion and do you have any tips or tricks for better digital drawing? I feel like I can't retain my style while drawing digitally and I hate it, but I love the options and possibilities digital drawing provides
@Strauss I' not sure if my opinion or help is correct, but here I go... If you like the tradition drawings more, have you tried scanning the sketch onto your computer and making it digital that way? Then the style would be the same because you're just adding the line-work and colours over the scanned sketch layer. Without seeing more of your art I have no idea if you do this, so I though I'd mention it. But as you know, sketching digitally cuts out a lot of fuss. I can see that the traditional style is different from the digital one. Here are my observations between the 2 pictures: The traditional sketch used nice curved lines, while the digital artwork is more angular. It could be that you're using your wrist differently, making nice sweeping motions when using lead and paper, and stiffer motion with the tablet. Your hand might be more relaxed with a pencil. Try treating the tablet pen the same as a pencil, or relax you hand a bit if it's tense. Without knowing more, I could be incorrect about this. Speaking of which, I personally find that this is easier for me if I have the tablet pen set to "mouse" mode rather than "pen" mode, but a lot of artists like like "pen" mode more. There is a lot of information about these mode on the internet if you're unsure about them. Switch between the 2 and see if it makes you like digital drawing better? Finally, the digital artwork (this is more of a constructive critique). The eyes are what someone looks at the most with this picture, but I feel they are very different from the eyes of your pencil sketched people. The sketch shows that you have a nice understanding of human appearance and proportions, but with the digital artwork the eyes just don't seem quite like what a real human would have. I thought something like this might be more like your pencil style? The bottom of the eye is a flatter angle, while the original is almost too slanted upwards. Although this could have been your intention, in which case I apologize for mentioning it unnecessarily ;A; [br] [img]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/intendo_64/22222.jpg[/img]
@Strauss I' not sure if my opinion or help is correct, but here I go...

If you like the tradition drawings more, have you tried scanning the sketch onto your computer and making it digital that way? Then the style would be the same because you're just adding the line-work and colours over the scanned sketch layer. Without seeing more of your art I have no idea if you do this, so I though I'd mention it.

But as you know, sketching digitally cuts out a lot of fuss. I can see that the traditional style is different from the digital one. Here are my observations between the 2 pictures: The traditional sketch used nice curved lines, while the digital artwork is more angular. It could be that you're using your wrist differently, making nice sweeping motions when using lead and paper, and stiffer motion with the tablet. Your hand might be more relaxed with a pencil. Try treating the tablet pen the same as a pencil, or relax you hand a bit if it's tense. Without knowing more, I could be incorrect about this.

Speaking of which, I personally find that this is easier for me if I have the tablet pen set to "mouse" mode rather than "pen" mode, but a lot of artists like like "pen" mode more. There is a lot of information about these mode on the internet if you're unsure about them. Switch between the 2 and see if it makes you like digital drawing better?

Finally, the digital artwork (this is more of a constructive critique). The eyes are what someone looks at the most with this picture, but I feel they are very different from the eyes of your pencil sketched people. The sketch shows that you have a nice understanding of human appearance and proportions, but with the digital artwork the eyes just don't seem quite like what a real human would have. I thought something like this might be more like your pencil style? The bottom of the eye is a flatter angle, while the original is almost too slanted upwards. Although this could have been your intention, in which case I apologize for mentioning it unnecessarily ;A;

22222.jpg
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
@sludgy wow! Thank you so much! I really appreciate you put this much effort into helpimg me! I don't have a scanner though, but I could probably try and find a cheap one. I've thought about that process and I feel like it could be really beneficial.

I do agree that my lines are most likely a lot stiffer because I draw on a touchscreen computer which is difficult to get my way around. I wholly agree with you on this as well. I most likely need to get an undo button on my pen and remove the keyboard so I have more freedom and range over my strokes. I think my pen is actually already set to mouse mode, but I'll check to make sure. Thank you for that info. With digital drawing, I feel like I can't have as rough of a drawing as I can with pencil and paper. I don't get the same darker line with more pressure which I really like about traditional. It only changes line thickness.

The eyes I didn't even realize were that slanted.. geeez. I guess I do it without realizING it :O I should probably stop doing that

I really appreciate your constructive critique and the tips :3 I'll probably end up utilizing thsee in the near future. I wish I was better at writing more detailed thank yous and responses.. ;-;

BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH AHHHHH
@sludgy wow! Thank you so much! I really appreciate you put this much effort into helpimg me! I don't have a scanner though, but I could probably try and find a cheap one. I've thought about that process and I feel like it could be really beneficial.

I do agree that my lines are most likely a lot stiffer because I draw on a touchscreen computer which is difficult to get my way around. I wholly agree with you on this as well. I most likely need to get an undo button on my pen and remove the keyboard so I have more freedom and range over my strokes. I think my pen is actually already set to mouse mode, but I'll check to make sure. Thank you for that info. With digital drawing, I feel like I can't have as rough of a drawing as I can with pencil and paper. I don't get the same darker line with more pressure which I really like about traditional. It only changes line thickness.

The eyes I didn't even realize were that slanted.. geeez. I guess I do it without realizING it :O I should probably stop doing that

I really appreciate your constructive critique and the tips :3 I'll probably end up utilizing thsee in the near future. I wish I was better at writing more detailed thank yous and responses.. ;-;

BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH AHHHHH
@Strauss definitely do the scanning thing!! if you dont have a scanner, you can put the paper on your art tablet and trace over it for a sketch!! for him, you need to bring the shoulders forward, since he's leaning forward, the tops need the show and his torso needs to look 'folded', kinda like this? (thanks google) foreshortening!! make a cube, his shoulders, and make a leaned over box- details later!! a different post would be good next time tho- this is kinda difficult imo [img]https://previews.123rf.com/images/feedough/feedough1302/feedough130200293/18025376-young-casual-fashion-man-leaning-forward-with-his-hands-on-his-hips-looking-at-the-camera-Stock-Photo.jpg[/img] drawing the seam on the shoulders and making the arms go 'back' would help with the way it looks, and make it more clear!!! remember it totes good to use references!! also, feel free to be messy!! messy lines can be good, and you can repeatedly layer new ones until its what you want!! like this, my first set of lines under my final: [img]http://i.imgur.com/ltkkRLw.png[/img] and this isnt cleaned up at all: [img]http://i.imgur.com/LMBewzE.png[/img] being messy is fine!! just make it a wreck n reline it (basically trace ur own drawing) to make it prettier!! you can do that as often as you like, or, even not even reline it at all!!! its all good!
@Strauss
definitely do the scanning thing!! if you dont have a scanner, you can put the paper on your art tablet and trace over it for a sketch!!

for him, you need to bring the shoulders forward, since he's leaning forward, the tops need the show and his torso needs to look 'folded', kinda like this? (thanks google) foreshortening!! make a cube, his shoulders, and make a leaned over box- details later!! a different post would be good next time tho- this is kinda difficult imo
18025376-young-casual-fashion-man-leaning-forward-with-his-hands-on-his-hips-looking-at-the-camera-Stock-Photo.jpg
drawing the seam on the shoulders and making the arms go 'back' would help with the way it looks, and make it more clear!!! remember it totes good to use references!!

also, feel free to be messy!! messy lines can be good, and you can repeatedly layer new ones until its what you want!! like this, my first set of lines under my final:
ltkkRLw.png
and this isnt cleaned up at all:
LMBewzE.png
being messy is fine!! just make it a wreck n reline it (basically trace ur own drawing) to make it prettier!! you can do that as often as you like, or, even not even reline it at all!!! its all good!
♥♥♥♥♥ AYZQQJX.gif hewwo black holes

art shop
DISCORD/CHY
HE/HIM
PING ME
toyhouse
hewwo black holes 19135259_VtKZb6nf8O405md.gif
@Strauss You are very welcome, I'm so glad I managed to help a little :D No scanner? No worries! What art program to you have? If it's not something like MS Paint, you should be able to change the brightness and contrast of photographs. Here is what I did in about 20 seconds... before and after. [img]http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/intendo_64/JqB4mzT.jpg[/img] This little feature will be in either a filter or image adjustments menu, and it's called "Brightness and Contrast". Brightness has a slider, and so does Contrast. By moving each of them in tandem (either opposite ways from each other or the same), you will get a better result for your sketch photos. It will save you squinting at the mostly grey photo sketch and wrecking your eyes. I end up using the old Ctrl+Z shortcut for an undo button with my left hand while my right used the pen. I also use other shortcuts with my left for stroke size and brush selection. BUT I think if your tablet or pen has buttons that you can program it to do "undo" but I'm not sure how exactly. Depending on the program you use, you can get different brushes that have a slight opacity to them, so that when you keep drawing over the top it will get darker. Or your regular brush might have an opacity sub menu if you're using a more sophisticated art program (such as PaintToolSAI, Gimp, and PhotoShop). I guess it takes some trial and error. Although it might not look grainy like with a lead pen, it's still something to consider. Your thanks is perfect ;D
@Strauss You are very welcome, I'm so glad I managed to help a little :D

No scanner? No worries! What art program to you have? If it's not something like MS Paint, you should be able to change the brightness and contrast of photographs. Here is what I did in about 20 seconds... before and after.
JqB4mzT.jpg
This little feature will be in either a filter or image adjustments menu, and it's called "Brightness and Contrast". Brightness has a slider, and so does Contrast. By moving each of them in tandem (either opposite ways from each other or the same), you will get a better result for your sketch photos. It will save you squinting at the mostly grey photo sketch and wrecking your eyes.

I end up using the old Ctrl+Z shortcut for an undo button with my left hand while my right used the pen. I also use other shortcuts with my left for stroke size and brush selection. BUT I think if your tablet or pen has buttons that you can program it to do "undo" but I'm not sure how exactly.

Depending on the program you use, you can get different brushes that have a slight opacity to them, so that when you keep drawing over the top it will get darker. Or your regular brush might have an opacity sub menu if you're using a more sophisticated art program (such as PaintToolSAI, Gimp, and PhotoShop). I guess it takes some trial and error. Although it might not look grainy like with a lead pen, it's still something to consider.

Your thanks is perfect ;D
Oh, I forgot to mention that I really like your art, both digital and traditional <3
Oh, I forgot to mention that I really like your art, both digital and traditional <3
@Strauss

just to add my little trick: i don't have a scanner either so to transport a sketch from my sketchbook to my pc to work on it i use my phone! there're some scanner apps on the app store and they work relatively well ^^ most of them are black and white though

Or I even just use Snapchat if i want to keep the colors, it does a pretty neat job with the right lighting :>

To actually transfer the pics from phone to pc i either use airdrop or i send the pics to my self on Facebook, this way i can just open it on my computer and save them, then i just open up my art program and use them as bases for my digital sketches :D

To just tweak the lighting and the contrast in traditional sketches i usually use pixlr and i think there's an app version of it too...

And i agree with Zonemod, be messy as hell with your digital sketches, it helps a lot to understand perspective and volumes! (at least it did for me ^^")
And layers save lives! Use as many layers as you want and even more!
@Strauss

just to add my little trick: i don't have a scanner either so to transport a sketch from my sketchbook to my pc to work on it i use my phone! there're some scanner apps on the app store and they work relatively well ^^ most of them are black and white though

Or I even just use Snapchat if i want to keep the colors, it does a pretty neat job with the right lighting :>

To actually transfer the pics from phone to pc i either use airdrop or i send the pics to my self on Facebook, this way i can just open it on my computer and save them, then i just open up my art program and use them as bases for my digital sketches :D

To just tweak the lighting and the contrast in traditional sketches i usually use pixlr and i think there's an app version of it too...

And i agree with Zonemod, be messy as hell with your digital sketches, it helps a lot to understand perspective and volumes! (at least it did for me ^^")
And layers save lives! Use as many layers as you want and even more!
dEe2UrM.png
C3gPKb3.png
sNuSVZA.png
56yqAPu.png
bVV6yhw.png
ll0CfnD.png
Jp7QW8F.png