Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [TC] Mother's Tales Writing Contest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
@bcrush

You can post as many entries per day as you want, but you can only submit one entry per prompt. Also, if the story you wrote is entirely original (ie, not fanfiction) and it falls under the three page limit, yes, you can submit it.
@bcrush

You can post as many entries per day as you want, but you can only submit one entry per prompt. Also, if the story you wrote is entirely original (ie, not fanfiction) and it falls under the three page limit, yes, you can submit it.
F9znW0V.pngMOIcidv.pngTAAah4E.pngshadow-mercs-small-banner_zpssyrro27z.png
pinging myself for later.

this is super cool!
pinging myself for later.

this is super cool!
Mmhmm this seems fun! I think I'd do one per day then. c: And if there is a daily pinglist, add me please! <3

Username: casuallySleepy
Prompt: Horror Stories
Title: That Was Not Expected

The bonfire Tsunayoshi had lit up cackled softly, beckoning all to gather around the fire. With the start of the first night of Shadow flight's festival, Trickmurk Circus, comes the classical horror stories telling time. Harthyl, the Plague representative gave a little smug nod to the founder, Flight, before he began.

"When I used to be around the Wyrmwound," He coughed a bit, eyeing the younger population of the lair cheekily. "during Trickmurk, do you know how inanimate objects often come to life due to the Shadow flight's influence, similar to Night of the Nocturne?"

Sacred sighed. "Where are you going with this? Plague territory doesn't harbor dead objects." Despite her words, those who knew her know fully well how she's really enjoying playing along with this. "Or are you suggesting they became..."

"Undead." Harthyl confirmed, barely stopping himself from bursting out laughing from the faces of the hatchlings in the clan. "Like what happened to Falltrail when he can't control his magic." Said dragon exasperatedly glared at the two seemingly best friends all of the sudden, but he can't deny he was really enjoying the incredulous look from Kalanchoe and Methyl. So he chimed in. "It was like being possessed. Everything is..." He paused for a dramatic effect. Then he continued with the deepest voice he could muster "...glory to the Shadowbinder."

And while Falltrail did expected one or two hatchlings to scream, he did not, even in his wildest dreams, expected to hear the scream leaving Tsunayoshi. Consequently, the bonfire extinguished itself. All eyes turned to the timid Coatl and in between the silence, the only sound ricocheting off the cliff is Tsunayoshi's stuttering.

In the end, it was decided that Tsunayoshi is only responsible for keeping the fire lit and under no circumstances is he required to stay. Suffice to say, Tsunayoshi left then and there immediately.

Mmhmm this seems fun! I think I'd do one per day then. c: And if there is a daily pinglist, add me please! <3

Username: casuallySleepy
Title: That Was Not Expected

The bonfire Tsunayoshi had lit up cackled softly, beckoning all to gather around the fire. With the start of the first night of Shadow flight's festival, Trickmurk Circus, comes the classical horror stories telling time. Harthyl, the Plague representative gave a little smug nod to the founder, Flight, before he began.

"When I used to be around the Wyrmwound," He coughed a bit, eyeing the younger population of the lair cheekily. "during Trickmurk, do you know how inanimate objects often come to life due to the Shadow flight's influence, similar to Night of the Nocturne?"

Sacred sighed. "Where are you going with this? Plague territory doesn't harbor dead objects." Despite her words, those who knew her know fully well how she's really enjoying playing along with this. "Or are you suggesting they became..."

"Undead." Harthyl confirmed, barely stopping himself from bursting out laughing from the faces of the hatchlings in the clan. "Like what happened to Falltrail when he can't control his magic." Said dragon exasperatedly glared at the two seemingly best friends all of the sudden, but he can't deny he was really enjoying the incredulous look from Kalanchoe and Methyl. So he chimed in. "It was like being possessed. Everything is..." He paused for a dramatic effect. Then he continued with the deepest voice he could muster "...glory to the Shadowbinder."

And while Falltrail did expected one or two hatchlings to scream, he did not, even in his wildest dreams, expected to hear the scream leaving Tsunayoshi. Consequently, the bonfire extinguished itself. All eyes turned to the timid Coatl and in between the silence, the only sound ricocheting off the cliff is Tsunayoshi's stuttering.

In the end, it was decided that Tsunayoshi is only responsible for keeping the fire lit and under no circumstances is he required to stay. Suffice to say, Tsunayoshi left then and there immediately.

@casuallySleepy Thanks for joining! Your entry has been recorded :)
@casuallySleepy Thanks for joining! Your entry has been recorded :)
Neat! I'll probably enter if I get the writing bug.

@NinaOsp when you say no one can win more than once, does that mean if I win third place I can't win first in another prompt?
Neat! I'll probably enter if I get the writing bug.

@NinaOsp when you say no one can win more than once, does that mean if I win third place I can't win first in another prompt?
tgTY.png
@Naga

Prizes are not awarded per promp, they're awarded in general. That means if your highest ranking story gets 1st place, your second highest entry cannot get second or third place.
@Naga

Prizes are not awarded per promp, they're awarded in general. That means if your highest ranking story gets 1st place, your second highest entry cannot get second or third place.
This was fun! I don't think I did as well as I could've, since I didn't have that itch for writing and I kind of had to force myself to finish it, but I still like it. I'll definitely be doing more c:

Username: Pandacow
Title: Tales From Around the Campfire

Deep in the Wispwillow Grove, a group of dragons sat on logs around a campfire, adults and hatchlings alike. A male Bogsneak gazed at his audience around the campfire, holding a large shimmering pinecone below his face. The hatchlings around him stared, terrified around him, as he continued his next story. Staring around the group dramatically, he started his next story in a raspy voice. "An Emperor is a terrifying creature, a hybrid between the horrors of Sornieth and the unfortunate innocent. There has been a few cases of Emperors in this modern day and age, and luckily we have the firepower to kill it, at least if we work together. But if another powerful force inhabits the beast, what happens?"

"Tonight on this lovely night, I will tell you. Now, let us begin..."

"On a night just like this, a group of dragons ventured out, to find unknown lands. About a clawful of these adventures were Imperials. In their adventures, they soon started to notice that the creatures around them began to act strange, previously friendly animals turned to ravaging beasts. At this time, these brave dragons decided it was enough, and wanted to leave, to find another route. But they were trapped, as they soon found out, and they could only go forwards. As they went, everything around them began to become more warped. More... Shadelike, if you will."
He paused dramatically as the hatchlings around him gasped. One piped up "Mr. Bogsneak, the Shade doesn't exist anymore! The adults said so!" Suddenly swinging his gaze at the hatchling, he rumbled "Even though the Shade doesn't exist as the terror we know it as, it has been rumored that pockets of it survived, warping everything around it."

"ANYWAY, these dragons all died a horrible death I cannot speak of, as you would have nightmares for weeks if I told you. As some of these dragons were Imperials, they turned into an Emperor. However, something was off.. Their body was horribly warped, and instead of the eyes of their element, they had dark, leaking eyes. They fought their way out of the pocket of Shade.. and the deities quickly rushed to quiet the beast, as it would cause Sornieth-wide panic. They were barely able to, even with all of their armies, and it is rumored that even today, the beast still lives...

As if on cue, a horrible pain-filled screech rocked the forest.

This was fun! I don't think I did as well as I could've, since I didn't have that itch for writing and I kind of had to force myself to finish it, but I still like it. I'll definitely be doing more c:

Username: Pandacow
Title: Tales From Around the Campfire

Deep in the Wispwillow Grove, a group of dragons sat on logs around a campfire, adults and hatchlings alike. A male Bogsneak gazed at his audience around the campfire, holding a large shimmering pinecone below his face. The hatchlings around him stared, terrified around him, as he continued his next story. Staring around the group dramatically, he started his next story in a raspy voice. "An Emperor is a terrifying creature, a hybrid between the horrors of Sornieth and the unfortunate innocent. There has been a few cases of Emperors in this modern day and age, and luckily we have the firepower to kill it, at least if we work together. But if another powerful force inhabits the beast, what happens?"

"Tonight on this lovely night, I will tell you. Now, let us begin..."

"On a night just like this, a group of dragons ventured out, to find unknown lands. About a clawful of these adventures were Imperials. In their adventures, they soon started to notice that the creatures around them began to act strange, previously friendly animals turned to ravaging beasts. At this time, these brave dragons decided it was enough, and wanted to leave, to find another route. But they were trapped, as they soon found out, and they could only go forwards. As they went, everything around them began to become more warped. More... Shadelike, if you will."
He paused dramatically as the hatchlings around him gasped. One piped up "Mr. Bogsneak, the Shade doesn't exist anymore! The adults said so!" Suddenly swinging his gaze at the hatchling, he rumbled "Even though the Shade doesn't exist as the terror we know it as, it has been rumored that pockets of it survived, warping everything around it."

"ANYWAY, these dragons all died a horrible death I cannot speak of, as you would have nightmares for weeks if I told you. As some of these dragons were Imperials, they turned into an Emperor. However, something was off.. Their body was horribly warped, and instead of the eyes of their element, they had dark, leaking eyes. They fought their way out of the pocket of Shade.. and the deities quickly rushed to quiet the beast, as it would cause Sornieth-wide panic. They were barely able to, even with all of their armies, and it is rumored that even today, the beast still lives...

As if on cue, a horrible pain-filled screech rocked the forest.

@Pandacow

Thanks for your entry, nonetheless! It has been recorded :)
@Pandacow

Thanks for your entry, nonetheless! It has been recorded :)
Heck yeah, time to reference my own clan.
Really though, this looks fun and I may try to write up something for all the prompts.

Username: AbyssalAnathema
Title: Monster of the Abyssal Sanctum

The journey to the Tangled Wood was long and tiring, and the ragtag group sighed in relief when they finally found a place to settle in for the night. The moon grinned down at them through the murky shadows of the land, and the strange, glowing mushrooms native to the Wood bathed them in a soft blue light. The youngest of the group, an adventure-seeking Wildclaw, stretched out near the newly-built fire as she gazed at her surroundings with awe.

“It’s beautiful here, isn’t it?”

Tsarina turned to look at their leader, shifting into a more comfortable position. The elder dragon was a kindly Imperial who’s sapphire scales glittered in the firelight. He was always looking after the others of the group, and the youngest looked up to him a great deal. The smile on his face twisted the scar over his eye strangely, but it no longer bothered her. Instead, the Wildclaw gave a warm hummed in agreement.

“It is,” she replied in a murmur. Her pale wings fluttered slightly as she shifted again. “I’ve never seen Wispwillow Grove before, but it looks… peaceful.”

A surly Coatl snorted, the sound grating with a musical undertone. The navigator for their little flock of glory-seekers. “Only as long as the tricksters aren’t about. As much as I like Shadow, there are some real pieces of work that hide in these woods.”

“Rude~”

“I wasn’t talking about you, Ortena!” the earth-colored dragon snapped back with flared head feathers. “Narcissistic little-”

An elegantly adorned Skydancer snickered. “That’s rich coming from you, Mr. Mirror-Kisser.”

Why you-!

The leader sighed, shaking his head in fond exasperation. “Alright, alright- that’s enough, you two. Even the youngling is acting more mature than the both of you combined.” He gave a joking wink to Tsarina, making her stifle a bout of laughter.

The Skydancer gave a cheerful “Sorry, Rodrik~” as her companion, Faust, huffed in vague apology. For a while, the air was quiet except for the fire’s cheerful crackling as they simply rested and relaxed. Their supplies were off to the side -but still in sight, of course- so they wouldn’t get in the way, and the small pile was only disturbed when Ortena went to fetch their rations. They ate with little conversation, but the atmosphere between them was a comfortable one that spoke of long journeys and close bonds. Finally, though, they decided they needed to reaffirm their plans for the following night and broke the silence.

“So, boss,” Ortena started as she studied her claws, “what are we here for? Another heist involving stolen goods? A rescue mission for a piece of jewelry?”

The Imperial shook his head slightly, icy eyes closing as he thought of how to word his thoughts. “No, no, nothing like that this time. We’re to explore some ruins from the Second Age near the edge of Foxfire Bramble and report back to our benefactor on what we find.” His eyes opened again, and he stared into the fire as his companions leaned a bit closer. A small frown started to tug at Rodrik’s mouth until he managed to smooth out his expression. “There have apparently been rumors of apparitions near there, and many dragons who get close either don’t return or are chased off by something.”

Ohhh, that place.”

“Faust?”

The Coatl shook his head slightly, making a thoughtful humming sound. “I’ve heard rumors of that place before, that’s all. Just….” A small discordant note cut through the night, showing his thoughts on the topic before he shook his head.

Tsarina tilted her head, golden eyes glinting in the dim light as her curiosity was piqued. “What? You’re not just gonna leave us hanging, are you? What did you hear about this ruin? Do you think it’s a good idea to go there?”

The other three stared at the navigator with different expressions of interest. The earth-toned dragon kept silent for a bit before his feathered crests drooped with resignation. Three against one was not at all fair, he thought.

“Fine, fine! Stop staring at me like that,” he growled lowly. He moved to find a more comfortable position before speaking again. “Firstly: no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to continue on with this unless at least one of you has some sort of creature heritage or something. Ah ah ah-” he gave a pointed look as Tsarina opened her mouth, making her snap it shut again. “No interrupting. You lot made me talk, now you all stay quiet as I do. Now let’s see where to start on this….

“Alright, so I’ve heard of these ruins a few times. This was back before Rodrik roped me into this nonsense, though, so I don’t know if it’s accurate. Apparently an old cathedral-type building was built on the edge of the Bramble back before the Pillar fell. The thing’s huge from what the rumors say, and it was abandoned for a long time. No dragon really made their lair there, since it was an old thing and a place of worship at one point on top of that. ‘Course, that’s just some folks’ reasoning as to why it was left alone despite being relatively intact. However, about… five years ago, I think, rumors started spreading that something took it over. The rumors don’t really go further than this remote area of Shadow Territory, honestly, but they’re around nonetheless.”

He paused a second, sorting out his thoughts. The others waited patiently for him to continue.
“Barely anyone’s actually gone there and returned -though few go there in the first place, really- so any so-called ‘eyewitnesses’ are few and doubtful. Regardless, the story that’s spread around is that some type of creature took the place over and doesn’t much appreciate visitors. Any descriptions of it are… disturbing, to say the least. Too many eyes, glowing like the fungi that grow here, and made of shadows deeper than the gloom of the Bramble itself. A maw of needle-sharp teeth that stretches so wide that could swallow the moon. Limbs that are little more than a tangle of shadows and something similar to the drool of the Shadowbinder herself. Heck, some even say it’s the Shade reborn; that’s stretching it a bit, though, as it seems not to move far from the cathedral. Also keep in mind that most of the sightings have been from treasure hunters or thieves that only went into that area hoping to take something home.” He paused. “I’m not saying the thing’s only striking out at threats to its hoard and such, though. Like I said, few have gone into that patch of territory and returned.”

Rodrik frowned heavily, tail lashing the slightest bit. “Our contractor said nothing about the dangers this exploration could entail.” A deep breath was taken in an attempt to calm himself. “Thank you for telling me this, Faust. I think we’ll not follow through on this expedition. There’s too much risk.”

With a hesitant nod of agreement, Ortena began to speak. “Yeah, I’d rather not chance this. Especially with our little adventurer along this time.”

Ortenaaa!

She shrugged with a slight, if somewhat forced, grin. “Hey, you’re still young. No danger until you reach your next winter.” With a small huff of amusement at Tsarina’s whine, she turned to the Coatl. “Anything else you can tell us about this ‘Monster of the Cathedral’?”

“Of the Abyssal Sanctum, actually. They apparently named the place after all this started up.” Faust rolled his eyes in annoyance, continuing. “But no, there’s not much else aside from whispers that it’s gathering allies.”

“Huh?”

He made a small shrugging motion. “Well, a few are saying it’s creating a clan, but others aren’t sure about the accuracy of that. Whatever it’s doing, there are creatures entering that area and, though not leaving, still appearing around as if patrolling. Even heard someone saw a kelpie in one of the more swampy areas around there. There are also rumors of a Greater Horror being spotted, but I’d really rather not think about that.”

The leader shook his head, trying to ignore the slivers of fear at that particular tidbit. “It doesn’t matter, we’re not getting close to that area in any case. We’ll stay in Wispwillow Grove for a few days before moving on to find another job, alright?”

With sounds of agreement following this declaration, the group tried to settle down and fall asleep for the night. No one noticed Rodrik’s shadow slip away with a rumble of satisfaction at their impending departure.
Heck yeah, time to reference my own clan.
Really though, this looks fun and I may try to write up something for all the prompts.

Username: AbyssalAnathema
Title: Monster of the Abyssal Sanctum

The journey to the Tangled Wood was long and tiring, and the ragtag group sighed in relief when they finally found a place to settle in for the night. The moon grinned down at them through the murky shadows of the land, and the strange, glowing mushrooms native to the Wood bathed them in a soft blue light. The youngest of the group, an adventure-seeking Wildclaw, stretched out near the newly-built fire as she gazed at her surroundings with awe.

“It’s beautiful here, isn’t it?”

Tsarina turned to look at their leader, shifting into a more comfortable position. The elder dragon was a kindly Imperial who’s sapphire scales glittered in the firelight. He was always looking after the others of the group, and the youngest looked up to him a great deal. The smile on his face twisted the scar over his eye strangely, but it no longer bothered her. Instead, the Wildclaw gave a warm hummed in agreement.

“It is,” she replied in a murmur. Her pale wings fluttered slightly as she shifted again. “I’ve never seen Wispwillow Grove before, but it looks… peaceful.”

A surly Coatl snorted, the sound grating with a musical undertone. The navigator for their little flock of glory-seekers. “Only as long as the tricksters aren’t about. As much as I like Shadow, there are some real pieces of work that hide in these woods.”

“Rude~”

“I wasn’t talking about you, Ortena!” the earth-colored dragon snapped back with flared head feathers. “Narcissistic little-”

An elegantly adorned Skydancer snickered. “That’s rich coming from you, Mr. Mirror-Kisser.”

Why you-!

The leader sighed, shaking his head in fond exasperation. “Alright, alright- that’s enough, you two. Even the youngling is acting more mature than the both of you combined.” He gave a joking wink to Tsarina, making her stifle a bout of laughter.

The Skydancer gave a cheerful “Sorry, Rodrik~” as her companion, Faust, huffed in vague apology. For a while, the air was quiet except for the fire’s cheerful crackling as they simply rested and relaxed. Their supplies were off to the side -but still in sight, of course- so they wouldn’t get in the way, and the small pile was only disturbed when Ortena went to fetch their rations. They ate with little conversation, but the atmosphere between them was a comfortable one that spoke of long journeys and close bonds. Finally, though, they decided they needed to reaffirm their plans for the following night and broke the silence.

“So, boss,” Ortena started as she studied her claws, “what are we here for? Another heist involving stolen goods? A rescue mission for a piece of jewelry?”

The Imperial shook his head slightly, icy eyes closing as he thought of how to word his thoughts. “No, no, nothing like that this time. We’re to explore some ruins from the Second Age near the edge of Foxfire Bramble and report back to our benefactor on what we find.” His eyes opened again, and he stared into the fire as his companions leaned a bit closer. A small frown started to tug at Rodrik’s mouth until he managed to smooth out his expression. “There have apparently been rumors of apparitions near there, and many dragons who get close either don’t return or are chased off by something.”

Ohhh, that place.”

“Faust?”

The Coatl shook his head slightly, making a thoughtful humming sound. “I’ve heard rumors of that place before, that’s all. Just….” A small discordant note cut through the night, showing his thoughts on the topic before he shook his head.

Tsarina tilted her head, golden eyes glinting in the dim light as her curiosity was piqued. “What? You’re not just gonna leave us hanging, are you? What did you hear about this ruin? Do you think it’s a good idea to go there?”

The other three stared at the navigator with different expressions of interest. The earth-toned dragon kept silent for a bit before his feathered crests drooped with resignation. Three against one was not at all fair, he thought.

“Fine, fine! Stop staring at me like that,” he growled lowly. He moved to find a more comfortable position before speaking again. “Firstly: no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to continue on with this unless at least one of you has some sort of creature heritage or something. Ah ah ah-” he gave a pointed look as Tsarina opened her mouth, making her snap it shut again. “No interrupting. You lot made me talk, now you all stay quiet as I do. Now let’s see where to start on this….

“Alright, so I’ve heard of these ruins a few times. This was back before Rodrik roped me into this nonsense, though, so I don’t know if it’s accurate. Apparently an old cathedral-type building was built on the edge of the Bramble back before the Pillar fell. The thing’s huge from what the rumors say, and it was abandoned for a long time. No dragon really made their lair there, since it was an old thing and a place of worship at one point on top of that. ‘Course, that’s just some folks’ reasoning as to why it was left alone despite being relatively intact. However, about… five years ago, I think, rumors started spreading that something took it over. The rumors don’t really go further than this remote area of Shadow Territory, honestly, but they’re around nonetheless.”

He paused a second, sorting out his thoughts. The others waited patiently for him to continue.
“Barely anyone’s actually gone there and returned -though few go there in the first place, really- so any so-called ‘eyewitnesses’ are few and doubtful. Regardless, the story that’s spread around is that some type of creature took the place over and doesn’t much appreciate visitors. Any descriptions of it are… disturbing, to say the least. Too many eyes, glowing like the fungi that grow here, and made of shadows deeper than the gloom of the Bramble itself. A maw of needle-sharp teeth that stretches so wide that could swallow the moon. Limbs that are little more than a tangle of shadows and something similar to the drool of the Shadowbinder herself. Heck, some even say it’s the Shade reborn; that’s stretching it a bit, though, as it seems not to move far from the cathedral. Also keep in mind that most of the sightings have been from treasure hunters or thieves that only went into that area hoping to take something home.” He paused. “I’m not saying the thing’s only striking out at threats to its hoard and such, though. Like I said, few have gone into that patch of territory and returned.”

Rodrik frowned heavily, tail lashing the slightest bit. “Our contractor said nothing about the dangers this exploration could entail.” A deep breath was taken in an attempt to calm himself. “Thank you for telling me this, Faust. I think we’ll not follow through on this expedition. There’s too much risk.”

With a hesitant nod of agreement, Ortena began to speak. “Yeah, I’d rather not chance this. Especially with our little adventurer along this time.”

Ortenaaa!

She shrugged with a slight, if somewhat forced, grin. “Hey, you’re still young. No danger until you reach your next winter.” With a small huff of amusement at Tsarina’s whine, she turned to the Coatl. “Anything else you can tell us about this ‘Monster of the Cathedral’?”

“Of the Abyssal Sanctum, actually. They apparently named the place after all this started up.” Faust rolled his eyes in annoyance, continuing. “But no, there’s not much else aside from whispers that it’s gathering allies.”

“Huh?”

He made a small shrugging motion. “Well, a few are saying it’s creating a clan, but others aren’t sure about the accuracy of that. Whatever it’s doing, there are creatures entering that area and, though not leaving, still appearing around as if patrolling. Even heard someone saw a kelpie in one of the more swampy areas around there. There are also rumors of a Greater Horror being spotted, but I’d really rather not think about that.”

The leader shook his head, trying to ignore the slivers of fear at that particular tidbit. “It doesn’t matter, we’re not getting close to that area in any case. We’ll stay in Wispwillow Grove for a few days before moving on to find another job, alright?”

With sounds of agreement following this declaration, the group tried to settle down and fall asleep for the night. No one noticed Rodrik’s shadow slip away with a rumble of satisfaction at their impending departure.
.............ZRFPHFU.png
Amri/Abyss || FR+3 || They/Them
zu5O19Q.png
Lore Thread || Tumblr || Toyhouse
zu5O19Q.png
Wish List || Goal List
DaxXxIb.png
@AbyssalAnathema Thanks for joining! Your entry has been recorded!
@AbyssalAnathema Thanks for joining! Your entry has been recorded!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11