Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Sunken Memories - Clan Lore
I know this is not a very fancy presentation, but I would like to post my Clan Lore here. I've tried this before and it didn't work out, so hopefully I'll be able to stick with it this time. ;) So anyways... Enjoy! CHARACTER VAULT Sprayfall: Our heroine [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/151402/15140115_350.png[/img] [b][i]History ~[/i][/b] Sometimes, the most magical of things happen by chance. Deep in the dark of the sea, a lone egg drifted in the currents. It was alone, with no one to help it. Only the Tidelord was its guide, carrying his fragile cargo along by means of the tide. The deity caused the currents to twist and bend, sending the egg shooting along unharmed. Finally, by the light of the morning sun, the egg was laid to rest outside a small modest cavern, empty of life and ready for a clan. The egg hatched there, alone. The hatchling broke out of her shell and was unnaturally quiet. She was vulnerable, with no one to care for her. It was then that the Tidelord bestowed upon her a gift. A young Cumulus Seal, sent by the deity himself, reached out and gently nudged the little dragon to her feet. Over the years, the two developed a life, and the young Fae a name. Sprayfall grew into a strong young lady, and over many years, formed for herself a clan, devoted to the preservation of sea life. Unfortunately, her clan failed, fallen victim to a vicious Maren attack. Now this young Matriarch is on a quest, a quest to discover her identity. Read more in [i]Sunken Memories[/i], located below. [i][b]Personality ~[/b][/i] Small but powerful, Sprayfall relies on her wits and intelligence to win battles and get what she wants. She is normally calm and intuitive, but the one way to make her angry is to threaten her family. She is the Matriarch of the clan, and will protect her home at any cost. Piercetooth: Mate to Sprayfall [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/151402/15140116_350.png[/img] [b][i]History ~[/i][/b] Discovered by Sprayfall while she was out hunting, he was found mercilessly clawed by some unknown creature, bleeding to death. Fortunately, the Fae took him into her care and was able to heal him. Undyingly grateful, he promised to forever protect her, and thereafter became her mate and confidant. Not much is known about his past before he met his lover, but many constantly wonder what could have made him so bitter and angry. Nevertheless, he remains a good Chief, and Sprayfall continues to love him despite his gruff nature. [i][b]Personality ~[/b][/i] Buff and protective, Piercetooth relies on his strength and agility to overcome his many enemies. Spiteful and temperamental, he uses his red-hot fury to bully others into obeying him. He is highest in command, second only to Sprayfall. Mistholder: Daughter of Piercetooth and Sprayfall [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/152770/15276907_350.png[/img] [i][b]History ~[/b][/i] Born to Sprayfall and Piercetooth, Mistholder has lived a relatively sheltered life under her parent's watchful eyes. Always watched and guarded by someone in the clan, she is without doubt one of the most respected figures in the clan. The one and only time she felt truly unsure was when her previous clan was destroyed by Maren invaders. Since then, she has become a strong and passionate fighter, fuled by the rage of seeing her brethren murdered. [b][i]Personality ~[/i][/b] Cautious and spiteful, Mistholder is a combination of her father's ferocity and her mother's intelligence. She uses her mind and strength to overpower her foes. Many a day, she uses her status against other dragons to get what she wants. Mistholder is currently undergoing training to be the next Matriarch in her mother's place. Goldendown: Sprayfall's savior [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/259009/25900876_350.png[/img] [b][i]History ~[/i][/b] Hatched in the slave trade, Goldendown always wished hopelessly that she could free her family from the clutches of their master. Whenever she could, she would attempt to soften their blows and console them with soft murmurs. She would sneak the little food she had to the sick and needy, often starving as a result. Every day, she hoped for a better future. Every day, she prayed to the gods for salvation. Finally, when her master was carting his cargo of slaves across the Sea of a Thousand Currents, she was answered. The Stormcatcher darkened the skies, the Windsinger whipped the sails, and the Tidelord rocked the ship. The vessel capsized, and the slaves were free! Unfortunately, in the confusion of the storm, Goldendown was separated from her companions, never to see them again. The weak Imperial drifted down into the Fishspine Reef and crawled weakly into a merchants stand to get some sleep. When she awoke, it was to the pitying eyes of Smokespeaker. Together, they stole and foraged until Sprayfall welcomed them into her ranks. Grateful and glad, Goldendown pledged her skills as a healer for the benefit of the clan, never ceasing to go out of her way to help others. [b][i]Personality ~[/i][/b] Sweet and sophisticated, Goldendown will jump at the chance to aid an injured clan member. From the very start, she was eager to console and help the needy, no matter where they came from or who they were. Smokespeaker: Goldendown's friend and companion [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/258733/25873226_350.png[/img] [b][i]History ~[/i][/b] Unwanted by his All - Mirror clan, he was exiled for being part Imperial. His mother was mercilessly killed and his father locked away. Lost and alone, the young Mirror traveled from his homeland in the Tsunami Flats to the sprawling Fishspine Reef, where he hoped to find a living. There he developed a new skill - the art of thievery. One night, he was sneaking into a merchants stand when he heard a soft moan. Smokespeaker peeked over a cluster of barrels and saw a young Imperial stowaway, bruised and weakened by many beatings. The youngster's pained expression somehow reminded him of his mother, and he took the Imperial into his care, vowing to keep her safe. He continued to do so, throughout his meeting of Sprayfall and her family, throughout his marriage of Mistholder, and he still continues to do so, looking out for her as he would his little sister. [i][b]Personality ~[/b][/i] Fiercely protective and surprisingly strong, Smokespeaker is the best defender in the clan. Strong - willed and persistent, he is not to be crossed. [b][i]Sunken Memories[/i][/b] [i]A Flight Rising Lore[/i] Prologue I fled from the collapsing structure of woven kelp and bones. All around me, there was the sound of screaming. Terrified dragons rushed about, intent on saving their families and selves. A Tundra mother rushed past, clutching an egg close to her chest. A Spiral merchant twisted through the water, eyes wild with fear. And above all the chaos, the Maren warriors kept coming. I spun around in the water, calling to my warriors. They surrounded the failing fortress that I called home, and raised their spears in defiance. Together, they charged, roaring curses and battle cries. The Maren had foreseen our last attempts at salvation, and were already sending missiles down into our ranks. They crashed into the fortress, scattering my warriors and collapsing the last remains of our home. My heart skipped a beat, and my chest felt squeezed. I knew, as I watched the cloud of silt and blood, that countless innocents had just been killed. “MONSTERS!” I roared to the advancing Maren. “COWARDS! FIENDS!” I raced up to face the oncoming threat, but someone held me back. I spun around, fins flaring. Hanging on to my tail, stone - faced and hardy, was my mate, Piercetooth. Beside him was my daughter Mistholder, staring grimly at the remains of our clan. “What are you doing?” I hissed, glaring angrily. “There are too many, mother,” Mistholder murmured regretfully. “We must retreat.” Even as I wrenched away from my mate’s grasp, I knew in my heart that they were right. It would be suicide to face the enemy now. I turned defeatedly to call back my warriors, only to watch hopelessly as the last of the resistance was slaughtered and my remaining citizens were killed. The Maren warriors turned at last to us, rage and glee glistening in their eyes. “Swim,” I whispered, and the enemy charged. The three of us fled, darting into the nearby forest of kelp. We rushed through the weeds, not daring to look back. Behind me I could hear the swishing of tails and the hissing of swords being drawn. I urged myself to go faster. I reached out for my mate, intending to push him to go faster, but there was only swirling currents and kelp where he was just a moment ago. I stared desperately around, but there was no sign of either him or Mistholder. My throat tightened with worry, and I swam yet faster, the Maren slowly falling behind. I was alone, I could sense it. The only choice was to swim on and hope to reach the Fishspine Reef by morning. I slowed my pace, then set off steadily in the direction of the Reef. ~ Just as the morning began to lighten the waters, I looked wearily up to see the distant silhouette of coral and bones. I was almost there, almost to safety. Soon I would be able to journey back to my clan with reinforcements, and look for my family, as well as bury the dead. Filled with grief and sorrow, I began to swim toward the Reef. Staggering through the water after my long journey, I began to hear the steady swoosh of fins on water. Turning slowly, I saw with horror the stampede of hippocampus, heading right toward me in full - blown fear. Suddenly charged with energy, I quickly summoned a protective forcefield of water around me. Crouching low to the ground, I concentrated as the herd rushed on around me, pounding my shield relentlessly. The forcefield flickered, and I realized with terror that I was too weak from my journey to keep up the magic. The herd kept coming, and I knew there was no hope. I could feel my energy draining. With a dying flash, the shield flickered and died, leaving me to the mercy of the fleeing herd. Steely hooves and flashing tails sent me spinning out of control, clobbering my wings and stomach. I curled into a ball as the hippocampus kept trampling me. A few short seconds later, the herd was gone, leaving me bruised and close to dying. Still in my tight ball, I waited as the pain subsided. Cautiously I raised my head, only to see one last straggler shooting right towards me. I gasped as the hippocamp shot over my helpless shape, and the creature’s hoof slammed into my skull. I floated to the seabed, numb with pain. I must have taken a very hard hit. Before my eyes, the world flashed grey, bright white stars dancing through my head. I sighed shakily, then passed gently into blackness.
I know this is not a very fancy presentation, but I would like to post my Clan Lore here. I've tried this before and it didn't work out, so hopefully I'll be able to stick with it this time. ;) So anyways... Enjoy!

CHARACTER VAULT

Sprayfall: Our heroine

15140115_350.png

History ~
Sometimes, the most magical of things happen by chance. Deep in the dark of the sea, a lone egg drifted in the currents. It was alone, with no one to help it. Only the Tidelord was its guide, carrying his fragile cargo along by means of the tide. The deity caused the currents to twist and bend, sending the egg shooting along unharmed. Finally, by the light of the morning sun, the egg was laid to rest outside a small modest cavern, empty of life and ready for a clan. The egg hatched there, alone. The hatchling broke out of her shell and was unnaturally quiet. She was vulnerable, with no one to care for her. It was then that the Tidelord bestowed upon her a gift. A young Cumulus Seal, sent by the deity himself, reached out and gently nudged the little dragon to her feet. Over the years, the two developed a life, and the young Fae a name. Sprayfall grew into a strong young lady, and over many years, formed for herself a clan, devoted to the preservation of sea life. Unfortunately, her clan failed, fallen victim to a vicious Maren attack. Now this young Matriarch is on a quest, a quest to discover her identity. Read more in Sunken Memories, located below.

Personality ~
Small but powerful, Sprayfall relies on her wits and intelligence to win battles and get what she wants. She is normally calm and intuitive, but the one way to make her angry is to threaten her family. She is the Matriarch of the clan, and will protect her home at any cost.

Piercetooth: Mate to Sprayfall

15140116_350.png

History ~
Discovered by Sprayfall while she was out hunting, he was found mercilessly clawed by some unknown creature, bleeding to death. Fortunately, the Fae took him into her care and was able to heal him. Undyingly grateful, he promised to forever protect her, and thereafter became her mate and confidant. Not much is known about his past before he met his lover, but many constantly wonder what could have made him so bitter and angry. Nevertheless, he remains a good Chief, and Sprayfall continues to love him despite his gruff nature.

Personality ~
Buff and protective, Piercetooth relies on his strength and agility to overcome his many enemies. Spiteful and temperamental, he uses his red-hot fury to bully others into obeying him. He is highest in command, second only to Sprayfall.

Mistholder: Daughter of Piercetooth and Sprayfall

15276907_350.png

History ~
Born to Sprayfall and Piercetooth, Mistholder has lived a relatively sheltered life under her parent's watchful eyes. Always watched and guarded by someone in the clan, she is without doubt one of the most respected figures in the clan. The one and only time she felt truly unsure was when her previous clan was destroyed by Maren invaders. Since then, she has become a strong and passionate fighter, fuled by the rage of seeing her brethren murdered.

Personality ~
Cautious and spiteful, Mistholder is a combination of her father's ferocity and her mother's intelligence. She uses her mind and strength to overpower her foes. Many a day, she uses her status against other dragons to get what she wants. Mistholder is currently undergoing training to be the next Matriarch in her mother's place.

Goldendown: Sprayfall's savior

25900876_350.png

History ~
Hatched in the slave trade, Goldendown always wished hopelessly that she could free her family from the clutches of their master. Whenever she could, she would attempt to soften their blows and console them with soft murmurs. She would sneak the little food she had to the sick and needy, often starving as a result. Every day, she hoped for a better future. Every day, she prayed to the gods for salvation. Finally, when her master was carting his cargo of slaves across the Sea of a Thousand Currents, she was answered. The Stormcatcher darkened the skies, the Windsinger whipped the sails, and the Tidelord rocked the ship. The vessel capsized, and the slaves were free! Unfortunately, in the confusion of the storm, Goldendown was separated from her companions, never to see them again. The weak Imperial drifted down into the Fishspine Reef and crawled weakly into a merchants stand to get some sleep. When she awoke, it was to the pitying eyes of Smokespeaker. Together, they stole and foraged until Sprayfall welcomed them into her ranks. Grateful and glad, Goldendown pledged her skills as a healer for the benefit of the clan, never ceasing to go out of her way to help others.

Personality ~
Sweet and sophisticated, Goldendown will jump at the chance to aid an injured clan member. From the very start, she was eager to console and help the needy, no matter where they came from or who they were.

Smokespeaker: Goldendown's friend and companion

25873226_350.png

History ~
Unwanted by his All - Mirror clan, he was exiled for being part Imperial. His mother was mercilessly killed and his father locked away. Lost and alone, the young Mirror traveled from his homeland in the Tsunami Flats to the sprawling Fishspine Reef, where he hoped to find a living. There he developed a new skill - the art of thievery. One night, he was sneaking into a merchants stand when he heard a soft moan. Smokespeaker peeked over a cluster of barrels and saw a young Imperial stowaway, bruised and weakened by many beatings. The youngster's pained expression somehow reminded him of his mother, and he took the Imperial into his care, vowing to keep her safe. He continued to do so, throughout his meeting of Sprayfall and her family, throughout his marriage of Mistholder, and he still continues to do so, looking out for her as he would his little sister.

Personality ~
Fiercely protective and surprisingly strong, Smokespeaker is the best defender in the clan. Strong - willed and persistent, he is not to be crossed.

Sunken Memories

A Flight Rising Lore

Prologue

I fled from the collapsing structure of woven kelp and bones. All around me, there was the sound of screaming. Terrified dragons rushed about, intent on saving their families and selves. A Tundra mother rushed past, clutching an egg close to her chest. A Spiral merchant twisted through the water, eyes wild with fear. And above all the chaos, the Maren warriors kept coming. I spun around in the water, calling to my warriors. They surrounded the failing fortress that I called home, and raised their spears in defiance. Together, they charged, roaring curses and battle cries. The Maren had foreseen our last attempts at salvation, and were already sending missiles down into our ranks. They crashed into the fortress, scattering my warriors and collapsing the last remains of our home. My heart skipped a beat, and my chest felt squeezed. I knew, as I watched the cloud of silt and blood, that countless innocents had just been killed. “MONSTERS!” I roared to the advancing Maren. “COWARDS! FIENDS!” I raced up to face the oncoming threat, but someone held me back. I spun around, fins flaring. Hanging on to my tail, stone - faced and hardy, was my mate, Piercetooth. Beside him was my daughter Mistholder, staring grimly at the remains of our clan. “What are you doing?” I hissed, glaring angrily. “There are too many, mother,” Mistholder murmured regretfully. “We must retreat.” Even as I wrenched away from my mate’s grasp, I knew in my heart that they were right. It would be suicide to face the enemy now. I turned defeatedly to call back my warriors, only to watch hopelessly as the last of the resistance was slaughtered and my remaining citizens were killed. The Maren warriors turned at last to us, rage and glee glistening in their eyes. “Swim,” I whispered, and the enemy charged. The three of us fled, darting into the nearby forest of kelp. We rushed through the weeds, not daring to look back. Behind me I could hear the swishing of tails and the hissing of swords being drawn. I urged myself to go faster. I reached out for my mate, intending to push him to go faster, but there was only swirling currents and kelp where he was just a moment ago. I stared desperately around, but there was no sign of either him or Mistholder. My throat tightened with worry, and I swam yet faster, the Maren slowly falling behind. I was alone, I could sense it. The only choice was to swim on and hope to reach the Fishspine Reef by morning. I slowed my pace, then set off steadily in the direction of the Reef.

~

Just as the morning began to lighten the waters, I looked wearily up to see the distant silhouette of coral and bones. I was almost there, almost to safety. Soon I would be able to journey back to my clan with reinforcements, and look for my family, as well as bury the dead. Filled with grief and sorrow, I began to swim toward the Reef. Staggering through the water after my long journey, I began to hear the steady swoosh of fins on water. Turning slowly, I saw with horror the stampede of hippocampus, heading right toward me in full - blown fear. Suddenly charged with energy, I quickly summoned a protective forcefield of water around me. Crouching low to the ground, I concentrated as the herd rushed on around me, pounding my shield relentlessly. The forcefield flickered, and I realized with terror that I was too weak from my journey to keep up the magic. The herd kept coming, and I knew there was no hope. I could feel my energy draining. With a dying flash, the shield flickered and died, leaving me to the mercy of the fleeing herd. Steely hooves and flashing tails sent me spinning out of control, clobbering my wings and stomach. I curled into a ball as the hippocampus kept trampling me. A few short seconds later, the herd was gone, leaving me bruised and close to dying. Still in my tight ball, I waited as the pain subsided. Cautiously I raised my head, only to see one last straggler shooting right towards me. I gasped as the hippocamp shot over my helpless shape, and the creature’s hoof slammed into my skull. I floated to the seabed, numb with pain. I must have taken a very hard hit. Before my eyes, the world flashed grey, bright white stars dancing through my head. I sighed shakily, then passed gently into blackness.
Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of rustling wings. Gasping, I sat up quickly, frill flared. Pain shot through my skull, and I moaned piteously. “Whoa,” a small voice squeaked. Delicate paws gently eased me into a sitting position. Through the fussiness surrounding my vision, I could make out a fragile - looking Imperial leaning over me, looking worried. Beyond her anxious face, I could see that we were in what looked to be like a deserted alley behind some coral shops. I blinked up at my healer, and the fussiness slowly faded away. She was quite young, I realized, and not quite fit enough for the burden of caring for another. I could see her ribs, and she looked weak and frail, like a thin china cup about to break. “You shouldn’t be helping me,” I said gruffly, rubbing my head with one paw. “I had to,” she said gently, gingerly touching my forearm. “You were so close to dying when we found you, it was amazing that you were still alive.” She frowned suddenly, staring with puzzled eyes at my face. “What happened, by the way?” “I - I don’t know,” I said shakily. I tried to remember, but all I could recall was the sound of hooves beating the water, and, deeper into my memories… I shuddered. “All I can remember is being clobbered in the head, and farther back… Farther back the sound of screaming.” The little Imperial stared at me, eyes wide. Just then, something suddenly dawned on me. “Wait… did you say ‘we’?” My caretaker suddenly looked over her shoulder. A small, sinuous shape strode confidently into our alley, eyes gleaming. “Yes,” she murmured quietly. “We. Me, Goldendown, and my friend Smokespeaker.” "I'm Sprayfall," I said, gingerly putting a claw to my forehead. Smokespeaker moved close to Goldendown’s side possessively, frowning down at my weak shape. He was a handsome young Mirror, but he was just as thin as Goldendown, perhaps even more so. Yet, I could somehow tell that with a little food and training, he could become a fine warrior one day. He sniffed suddenly, then shot a sideways glance at his friend. “I still say she shouldn’t be here,” he growled. “Stop that,” Goldendown said, playfully whacking him with her wing. “Don’t mind him,” she said to me, helping me to my feet. “He’s just kidding around.” Smokespeaker glared at his friend, but she didn’t seem to notice. I flicked my frill back defensively, staring with hard eyes at his tense shape. Goldendown led me down the alley, murmuring quietly about the precautions I must take, but I wasn’t listening. I was too busy staring narrowly at Smokespeaker. He glared right back with a hardened gaze.
Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of rustling wings. Gasping, I sat up quickly, frill flared. Pain shot through my skull, and I moaned piteously. “Whoa,” a small voice squeaked. Delicate paws gently eased me into a sitting position. Through the fussiness surrounding my vision, I could make out a fragile - looking Imperial leaning over me, looking worried. Beyond her anxious face, I could see that we were in what looked to be like a deserted alley behind some coral shops. I blinked up at my healer, and the fussiness slowly faded away. She was quite young, I realized, and not quite fit enough for the burden of caring for another. I could see her ribs, and she looked weak and frail, like a thin china cup about to break. “You shouldn’t be helping me,” I said gruffly, rubbing my head with one paw. “I had to,” she said gently, gingerly touching my forearm. “You were so close to dying when we found you, it was amazing that you were still alive.” She frowned suddenly, staring with puzzled eyes at my face. “What happened, by the way?” “I - I don’t know,” I said shakily. I tried to remember, but all I could recall was the sound of hooves beating the water, and, deeper into my memories… I shuddered. “All I can remember is being clobbered in the head, and farther back… Farther back the sound of screaming.” The little Imperial stared at me, eyes wide. Just then, something suddenly dawned on me. “Wait… did you say ‘we’?” My caretaker suddenly looked over her shoulder. A small, sinuous shape strode confidently into our alley, eyes gleaming. “Yes,” she murmured quietly. “We. Me, Goldendown, and my friend Smokespeaker.” "I'm Sprayfall," I said, gingerly putting a claw to my forehead. Smokespeaker moved close to Goldendown’s side possessively, frowning down at my weak shape. He was a handsome young Mirror, but he was just as thin as Goldendown, perhaps even more so. Yet, I could somehow tell that with a little food and training, he could become a fine warrior one day. He sniffed suddenly, then shot a sideways glance at his friend. “I still say she shouldn’t be here,” he growled. “Stop that,” Goldendown said, playfully whacking him with her wing. “Don’t mind him,” she said to me, helping me to my feet. “He’s just kidding around.” Smokespeaker glared at his friend, but she didn’t seem to notice. I flicked my frill back defensively, staring with hard eyes at his tense shape. Goldendown led me down the alley, murmuring quietly about the precautions I must take, but I wasn’t listening. I was too busy staring narrowly at Smokespeaker. He glared right back with a hardened gaze.

Chapter 2

Goldendown guided me towards the end of the alley, murmuring the entire way. I tore my eyes from Smokespeaker’s unwavering gaze and looked about at the bustling hub that was the Fishspine Reef. All around me, dragons of all shapes and sizes were talking, laughing, and bargaining. They gathered around the cobbled streets, leaning casually against coral lampposts and buildings, walking along the streets, or enjoying themselves in the shops. I unwillingly gaped at the array of buildings as we strolled past - some were short and squat, homey - looking and comforting. Others were tall and regal, spiraling up towards the surface. The materials they were made of were different too - as well as their purposes. I saw restaurants, gift shops, stores, bars, clan homes, and even once a church dedicated to the Tidelord. Some were fashioned out of coral, chiseled out or simply used with the natural shapes. Yet others were made of bone, either fused together with magic or used as they were. As our little trio moved through the semi - busy streets, I even happened to notice a bar made of the giant skull of something with deadly - looking fangs. My frill was pricked with interest, I was amazed at how much hidden history resided within this somewhat - city. “Over here,” Goldendown said in her quiet voice. We turned onto a quiet, homey - looking street made up of mostly clan homes. Smokespeaker led us down another alley, this one shorter than my healing place. “Don’t tell anyone about this,” he hissed between clenched teeth, then stepped aside so I could see what he was hiding. My frill flickered in surprise. At the very end of the alley, pressed up against the coral, was a ragged red blanket with a few holes, propped shakily up on four pale leg bones. Beneath the “awning” was a haphazard nest made of scraps of cloth and ripped silk with mold around the edges. Scattered around the middle were various oddities - an old bronze watch, what was left of a hat, and a relatively good - looking leg band, along with an apple core and some withered seaberries someone had obviously thrown out. It was a sad excuse for a home. My frill sank just looking at it. “You’re homeless, aren’t you?” I said quietly. “It’s not much, but it’s home,” Goldendown said sadly as an answer to my statement. A rush of pity overwhelmed me, and I wrapped one wing around her shoulders. They had done so much for me in such a short time, despite their lack of belongings. It was amazing, and I owed them everything. Smokespeaker glared from a corner, tail twitching angrily. Well, I at least owed Goldendown. The little Imperial moved away from under my arm, and nestled into the mess of rags beneath the awning. She closed her eyes as Smokespeaker moved into place next to her, frowning and making it clear that I was not welcome. Sighing, I backed into a corner and curled into a tight ball. That night, I dreamed of lost memories and loved ones.

Chapter 2

Goldendown guided me towards the end of the alley, murmuring the entire way. I tore my eyes from Smokespeaker’s unwavering gaze and looked about at the bustling hub that was the Fishspine Reef. All around me, dragons of all shapes and sizes were talking, laughing, and bargaining. They gathered around the cobbled streets, leaning casually against coral lampposts and buildings, walking along the streets, or enjoying themselves in the shops. I unwillingly gaped at the array of buildings as we strolled past - some were short and squat, homey - looking and comforting. Others were tall and regal, spiraling up towards the surface. The materials they were made of were different too - as well as their purposes. I saw restaurants, gift shops, stores, bars, clan homes, and even once a church dedicated to the Tidelord. Some were fashioned out of coral, chiseled out or simply used with the natural shapes. Yet others were made of bone, either fused together with magic or used as they were. As our little trio moved through the semi - busy streets, I even happened to notice a bar made of the giant skull of something with deadly - looking fangs. My frill was pricked with interest, I was amazed at how much hidden history resided within this somewhat - city. “Over here,” Goldendown said in her quiet voice. We turned onto a quiet, homey - looking street made up of mostly clan homes. Smokespeaker led us down another alley, this one shorter than my healing place. “Don’t tell anyone about this,” he hissed between clenched teeth, then stepped aside so I could see what he was hiding. My frill flickered in surprise. At the very end of the alley, pressed up against the coral, was a ragged red blanket with a few holes, propped shakily up on four pale leg bones. Beneath the “awning” was a haphazard nest made of scraps of cloth and ripped silk with mold around the edges. Scattered around the middle were various oddities - an old bronze watch, what was left of a hat, and a relatively good - looking leg band, along with an apple core and some withered seaberries someone had obviously thrown out. It was a sad excuse for a home. My frill sank just looking at it. “You’re homeless, aren’t you?” I said quietly. “It’s not much, but it’s home,” Goldendown said sadly as an answer to my statement. A rush of pity overwhelmed me, and I wrapped one wing around her shoulders. They had done so much for me in such a short time, despite their lack of belongings. It was amazing, and I owed them everything. Smokespeaker glared from a corner, tail twitching angrily. Well, I at least owed Goldendown. The little Imperial moved away from under my arm, and nestled into the mess of rags beneath the awning. She closed her eyes as Smokespeaker moved into place next to her, frowning and making it clear that I was not welcome. Sighing, I backed into a corner and curled into a tight ball. That night, I dreamed of lost memories and loved ones.
Chapter 3

When I woke up, it was to the familiar figure of Goldendown preparing what looked like a burnt loaf of bread and a suspiciously well - cooked Golden - Laced Rooster. I briefly wondered how she was able to get it as poor as she was, but I was immediately distracted by something else. The smell of the goods was hard to ignore, and I forgot about the mysterious meat as I caught sight of my favorite snack. A small pile of crispy Blue Crickets were laid out a few feet from my claws. “How did you know?” I asked distractedly as I bit down on a cricket with a satisfying crunch. “I didn’t,” Goldendown shrugged, then watched me eat with a curious expression. From the corner of his nest, Smokespeaker frowned grumpily, then tore into his Rooster. The sight was oddly disturbing, but I ignored him and moved to sit beside my new friend. She was still staring at me with that curious expression of hers. The loaf of bread lay untouched at her feet. “... Is something wrong?” I asked quietly. The Imperial fingered the loaf of bread for a moment before answering. “I was up late last night… Thinking about how to get your memory back.” “My memory?” I was surprisingly flattered that she would care so much about someone she had just met. “Yes… I was thinking… Maybe I’m not experienced enough? Perhaps I did something to make you lose your memory? … And I decided that we should probably go see another healer, you know, someone better than me.” I was about to say that there was nobody better than her, when Smokespeaker interrupted. “Great,” He said, and I unwillingly jumped. I hadn’t even heard him coming! “We can… gather on our way,” He said ominously, then glanced sharply at me. Goldendown blinked, then nodded. “We do need more food,” she said nervously, then followed him trustingly out of the alley.

~

I wove my way between two strangers, trying to keep up with Smokespeaker’s fast pace. Goldendown slinked along behind me, eyes darting nervously every which way. We were on one of the Main Streets of the Fishspine Reef, quite a ways from our little alley. Yet somehow, Goldendown and Smokespeaker seemed to know the way. The three of us darted across the street and stopped by a small bakery, resting casually up against the coral walls. The chaos of the Main Street was no place for a Fae. I noticed Smokespeaker secretly eyeing the cheery Tundra baker, and opened my mouth to ask him about his odd behavior. But before I could, he spoke first. “Can you do me a favor?” he asked me suddenly. My frill shot up with surprise. “Go over by that lamppost - see it? Yes? All right, go over there, and see if you can get us anything good from old Pinkerton.” I squinted at the lamppost almost six storefronts away, and saw a glum - looking Tundra sitting by a pile of trinkets. I looked to Goldendown for reference. She nodded quickly, and so I began to make my way over to the Tundra. I at least owed her. I glanced over my shoulder to see if she was watching, and saw Smokespeaker whispering something into her ear. She nodded nervously, then quietly snuck into the baker’s shop while he was busy with a customer. What was sweet little Goldendown doing sneaking into a bakery? I crept into the shadow of a nearby storefront and peeked out at my friend. She was standing by the fireplace, staring at a portion of bread baking on a metal rack. Regretfully, she summoned a flare of magic that made the fire shoot dangerously high. The smell of burning yeast filled the bakery, and Goldendown darted out. The baker turned, and yelped with shock. As he rushed to pull out his bread, Smokespeaker snatched a cooling pie off of the counter as the customer walked away. The Tundra came back, and looked around for his missing pie, as well as his missing customer. Goldendown returned to Smokespeaker, and the two snuck away towards Pinkerton, where they thought I would be, oblivious to their scheme. And I would be there, ready to give them a piece of my mind...
Chapter 3

When I woke up, it was to the familiar figure of Goldendown preparing what looked like a burnt loaf of bread and a suspiciously well - cooked Golden - Laced Rooster. I briefly wondered how she was able to get it as poor as she was, but I was immediately distracted by something else. The smell of the goods was hard to ignore, and I forgot about the mysterious meat as I caught sight of my favorite snack. A small pile of crispy Blue Crickets were laid out a few feet from my claws. “How did you know?” I asked distractedly as I bit down on a cricket with a satisfying crunch. “I didn’t,” Goldendown shrugged, then watched me eat with a curious expression. From the corner of his nest, Smokespeaker frowned grumpily, then tore into his Rooster. The sight was oddly disturbing, but I ignored him and moved to sit beside my new friend. She was still staring at me with that curious expression of hers. The loaf of bread lay untouched at her feet. “... Is something wrong?” I asked quietly. The Imperial fingered the loaf of bread for a moment before answering. “I was up late last night… Thinking about how to get your memory back.” “My memory?” I was surprisingly flattered that she would care so much about someone she had just met. “Yes… I was thinking… Maybe I’m not experienced enough? Perhaps I did something to make you lose your memory? … And I decided that we should probably go see another healer, you know, someone better than me.” I was about to say that there was nobody better than her, when Smokespeaker interrupted. “Great,” He said, and I unwillingly jumped. I hadn’t even heard him coming! “We can… gather on our way,” He said ominously, then glanced sharply at me. Goldendown blinked, then nodded. “We do need more food,” she said nervously, then followed him trustingly out of the alley.

~

I wove my way between two strangers, trying to keep up with Smokespeaker’s fast pace. Goldendown slinked along behind me, eyes darting nervously every which way. We were on one of the Main Streets of the Fishspine Reef, quite a ways from our little alley. Yet somehow, Goldendown and Smokespeaker seemed to know the way. The three of us darted across the street and stopped by a small bakery, resting casually up against the coral walls. The chaos of the Main Street was no place for a Fae. I noticed Smokespeaker secretly eyeing the cheery Tundra baker, and opened my mouth to ask him about his odd behavior. But before I could, he spoke first. “Can you do me a favor?” he asked me suddenly. My frill shot up with surprise. “Go over by that lamppost - see it? Yes? All right, go over there, and see if you can get us anything good from old Pinkerton.” I squinted at the lamppost almost six storefronts away, and saw a glum - looking Tundra sitting by a pile of trinkets. I looked to Goldendown for reference. She nodded quickly, and so I began to make my way over to the Tundra. I at least owed her. I glanced over my shoulder to see if she was watching, and saw Smokespeaker whispering something into her ear. She nodded nervously, then quietly snuck into the baker’s shop while he was busy with a customer. What was sweet little Goldendown doing sneaking into a bakery? I crept into the shadow of a nearby storefront and peeked out at my friend. She was standing by the fireplace, staring at a portion of bread baking on a metal rack. Regretfully, she summoned a flare of magic that made the fire shoot dangerously high. The smell of burning yeast filled the bakery, and Goldendown darted out. The baker turned, and yelped with shock. As he rushed to pull out his bread, Smokespeaker snatched a cooling pie off of the counter as the customer walked away. The Tundra came back, and looked around for his missing pie, as well as his missing customer. Goldendown returned to Smokespeaker, and the two snuck away towards Pinkerton, where they thought I would be, oblivious to their scheme. And I would be there, ready to give them a piece of my mind...
Chapter 4

I snuck through the mass of dragons, using them to hide from sight. I slipped behind Goldendown and Smokespeaker, watching narrowly as they realized that I was not talking to Pinkerton as arranged. “Where is she? She was supposed to be here,” I blinked at Goldendown’s obvious concern. She evidently still cared about me, no matter what she had done in the past. “She could’ve run away,” Smokespeaker said hopefully. “Left because we were too poor…” “You think?” Goldendown said sadly, scanning the crowd. I gritted my teeth, frill standing straight up in anger. He had absolutely no right to say things like that, perhaps just to make his companion miserable. “Excuse me,” I said coldly, frowning up at them. “Sprayfall! I thought you had left!” The little Imperial scooped me up into a gentle hug, then set me back down with a smile on her face. Smokespeaker just glared, as he always did. “I know what I saw,” I said slowly, glaring right back. Goldendown’s smile melted, and she looked as if I would lash out and bite her. “Please,” she said softly, “We meant no harm.” “You two are thieves!” I cried, exasperated. “How is that not harmful?” I flared my frill indignantly. “Are you mad?” Goldendown said, so quietly I almost didn’t hear. “No,” I said, almost indifferently. “Just extremely disappointed.” “We do what we have to do,” Smokespeaker growled. “There is no shame in survival.” The Imperial nodded wholeheartedly. “What we do might seem wrong to you, but we’d die if we didn’t steal.” “What about gathering?” I challenged. “Fighting for food, earning it?” Smokespeaker lashed his tail, thoroughly annoyed. “Fighting is too dangerous; even Goldendown couldn’t heal if she were hurt badly.” Goldendown spoke up. “Yes, and gathering is also risky - some dragons could be dangerous robbers that would gladly kill to get their hands on more goods. Plus, with just the two of us gathering, it won’t be enough. The gates to the Reef only open at midday, and they close at three hours after. The Guardians at the gate only allow those with passes to go and come freely, and they cost too much for us.” I flicked my tail, annoyed. I couldn’t argue with their logic. “Okay, I get it,” I murmured defeatedly. “But you could get a job, you know. Or try to join a clan.” Again, Smokespeaker called on logic to answer my question. “We’ve tried. No one will accept us for jobs, and most clans are packed with dragons or are saving space for visitors. We also don’t want to risk being exalted; we’re not ready for that.” I blinked, stunned. For the first time, I could hear real desperation in the Mirror’s voice. I could tell that he was pressured. Between caring for Goldendown and trying to survive, it must be hard living on the streets. “I see your point,” I said finally. “Stealing is the only sure way to get enough to eat.” They both nodded. Pity washed over me yet again. “Come on,” I said softly. “Let’s go find a healer.”
Chapter 4

I snuck through the mass of dragons, using them to hide from sight. I slipped behind Goldendown and Smokespeaker, watching narrowly as they realized that I was not talking to Pinkerton as arranged. “Where is she? She was supposed to be here,” I blinked at Goldendown’s obvious concern. She evidently still cared about me, no matter what she had done in the past. “She could’ve run away,” Smokespeaker said hopefully. “Left because we were too poor…” “You think?” Goldendown said sadly, scanning the crowd. I gritted my teeth, frill standing straight up in anger. He had absolutely no right to say things like that, perhaps just to make his companion miserable. “Excuse me,” I said coldly, frowning up at them. “Sprayfall! I thought you had left!” The little Imperial scooped me up into a gentle hug, then set me back down with a smile on her face. Smokespeaker just glared, as he always did. “I know what I saw,” I said slowly, glaring right back. Goldendown’s smile melted, and she looked as if I would lash out and bite her. “Please,” she said softly, “We meant no harm.” “You two are thieves!” I cried, exasperated. “How is that not harmful?” I flared my frill indignantly. “Are you mad?” Goldendown said, so quietly I almost didn’t hear. “No,” I said, almost indifferently. “Just extremely disappointed.” “We do what we have to do,” Smokespeaker growled. “There is no shame in survival.” The Imperial nodded wholeheartedly. “What we do might seem wrong to you, but we’d die if we didn’t steal.” “What about gathering?” I challenged. “Fighting for food, earning it?” Smokespeaker lashed his tail, thoroughly annoyed. “Fighting is too dangerous; even Goldendown couldn’t heal if she were hurt badly.” Goldendown spoke up. “Yes, and gathering is also risky - some dragons could be dangerous robbers that would gladly kill to get their hands on more goods. Plus, with just the two of us gathering, it won’t be enough. The gates to the Reef only open at midday, and they close at three hours after. The Guardians at the gate only allow those with passes to go and come freely, and they cost too much for us.” I flicked my tail, annoyed. I couldn’t argue with their logic. “Okay, I get it,” I murmured defeatedly. “But you could get a job, you know. Or try to join a clan.” Again, Smokespeaker called on logic to answer my question. “We’ve tried. No one will accept us for jobs, and most clans are packed with dragons or are saving space for visitors. We also don’t want to risk being exalted; we’re not ready for that.” I blinked, stunned. For the first time, I could hear real desperation in the Mirror’s voice. I could tell that he was pressured. Between caring for Goldendown and trying to survive, it must be hard living on the streets. “I see your point,” I said finally. “Stealing is the only sure way to get enough to eat.” They both nodded. Pity washed over me yet again. “Come on,” I said softly. “Let’s go find a healer.”