Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Ash and Dust – A Pinker-Locke
1 2 3 4
This is a Pinkerton's Plundered Nuzlocke, as invented by Tar here. I've read a few and wanted to do one myself for a while, and here we finally are! ... And maybe in time I'll even figure out how to make pretty forum posts...

Coli fighting will follow the medium rules– or even the easy ones, I'll see.

Drop me a ping if you want to be added to the ping list for updates!

Pinglist

@tigressRising @HuntingAlpha @Crystalcave @SpaceSnake @Slime
This is a Pinkerton's Plundered Nuzlocke, as invented by Tar here. I've read a few and wanted to do one myself for a while, and here we finally are! ... And maybe in time I'll even figure out how to make pretty forum posts...

Coli fighting will follow the medium rules– or even the easy ones, I'll see.

Drop me a ping if you want to be added to the ping list for updates!

Pinglist

@tigressRising @HuntingAlpha @Crystalcave @SpaceSnake @Slime
x0CMhAc.png is5IYGR.png Ash and Dust- My Pinker-Locke
The Fallen
The Fallen
[center][item=snow streak pinion][/center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16856620] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/168567/16856620_350.png[/img] [/url] Like her siblings, Aramorel was expected to leave her birth clan, to train and join the service of a deity. A high honour, she knows, a fate to be desired, not feared. And yet– she's barely had time to see anything of this world beyond the black rim of the lava pool she was born in. And so, the night she turned into an adult, she gathered all her courage, sneaked to the edge of the lair while Ribo and Sky, the hatchling sitters, stole an hour away from their charges, curled into a pile of blue fur and scales and intent on each other. With her bright belly pressed tightly to the black rock and her wings tucked close to hide her lighter feathers, she was all but invisible in the darkness away from the sullen glow of the nests. Heart pounding madly, she scrambled up to the rim of the shallow crater that marked the lair's expanse, and for a moment, stared out over the rough expanse of the Ashfall Waste. Then she leapt, spread her young, clumsy wings as far as they would go, and launched herself into the smoke-filled air. Thermals catch her, carry her high and higher, much higher than she meant to go, and the smoke and the dark lava of the ground and the night all merge into a confusing blend of fire-studded darkness. She dips and rises, trundles this way and that between spiralling pillars of heated air, until she has no idea which way her home is, or how far she's come. Still, she'll be missed soon enough, and so she forces herself to stay afloat as long as she can bear, her chest and wings aching, muscles unused to the strain. Eventually, though, she knows she has to land. She can hardly hold onto her pearl anymore. Ahead, the glowing crown of a volcano beckons, bright and yellow in the night, and she lands on its flank with a thump and in a cloud of black dust. She sneezes– and freezes. There's a growl coming from behind her. Wings dragging with exhaustion, she scrambles around, casts her eyes wildly around for the source of the noise. All she can see is black rock, deeper shadows and orange glow, limning jagged edges, from a near-by lava flow. No, there– scales shimmering like an oil slick, a serpentine form rises from between the rocks. She shrinks back as the Imperial dragon towers over her, flattenes her ears, clutches her pearl tightly between her hands. It has to be an Imperial, she thinks miserably. It's at least twice her size, and Imperials aren't known to care much for Pearlcatchers. But to her surprise, the growl rumbles to a stop, and a broad nose sniffs in her direction, whiskers spread. “Oh, sorry,” the Imperial says– a male by the voice. “You startled me– I didn't mean to scare you.” Ara climbs back to her feet, tries to hide her shaking. “I wasn't scared,” she claimes, and doesn't need a sceptical ear tilted her way to know she's not convincing anyone. “Um. I'm Aramorel.” “Hello, Aramorel,” the Imperial says. “I'm Mitri. It's nice to meet you.” [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16690113] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/166902/16690113_350.png[/img] [/url] “Hello,” she answers. “What are you doing here?” To her surprise, he droops his wings in a way that's decidedly sheepish. Come to think of it, now that her heart-rate's calming down, she realizes he has to be quite young himself– as intimidating as he looked at first, here in the dark, he's nowhere near fully grown for an Imperial. “Eh.” He raises a hand to scratch at his mane. “I was supposed to train to join the Flamecaller, but with all the rushing about and excitement about the Starfall Celebration... I lost my guides to the lair. So.” He splays his ears sideways. “I'm lost?” “Oh.” She sits down on her haunches. “Do you know what the lair was called?” He shakes his great maned head. “No idea. No one said. What about you?” She ducks her head a little. “I was supposed to go and serve a deity, too, but... But I haven't seen [i]anything[/i] of the world yet!” She straightens her spine. “I ran away.” “All by yourself?” He flicks his ears forward in astonishment. “That's... pretty brave.” “Um. Thanks,” Ara answers, feels herself sag again. “Now I'm kind of lost, too, though.” To her surprise, Mitri laughs. “Well, do you want to be lost together for a bit? It's late, you must be tired. There's sort of a cave here– it's a bit cooler down there.” “The heat doesn't bother me,” she says, but picks up her pearl and follows him to a fissure in the volcanic rock anyway. He peers over his shoulder at her. “Right. Fire dragon, huh?” She nods. “Yeah. And you?” He sighs. “Shadow. It's a lot cooler there. And quieter.” She ducks into cave after him– it's pitch dark in there, and she probably wouldn't have been able to see Mitri even if he wasn't pretty perfectly camouflaged. She hears him moving around a bit, scales scraping against rock, and makes her way carefully to the side of the entrance, feeling for the wall with a hand. Once she's out of the way a bit, she gratefully curls up around her pearl. She really wants to ask more about what the Shadow lands are like, and what else he's seen on his way here, but she's incredibly tired, so when Mitri wishes her a good night, it's all she can do to return the sentiment before she's fast asleep.
Snow Streak Pinion

16856620_350.png

Like her siblings, Aramorel was expected to leave her birth clan, to train and join the service of a deity. A high honour, she knows, a fate to be desired, not feared. And yet– she's barely had time to see anything of this world beyond the black rim of the lava pool she was born in. And so, the night she turned into an adult, she gathered all her courage, sneaked to the edge of the lair while Ribo and Sky, the hatchling sitters, stole an hour away from their charges, curled into a pile of blue fur and scales and intent on each other. With her bright belly pressed tightly to the black rock and her wings tucked close to hide her lighter feathers, she was all but invisible in the darkness away from the sullen glow of the nests. Heart pounding madly, she scrambled up to the rim of the shallow crater that marked the lair's expanse, and for a moment, stared out over the rough expanse of the Ashfall Waste. Then she leapt, spread her young, clumsy wings as far as they would go, and launched herself into the smoke-filled air.

Thermals catch her, carry her high and higher, much higher than she meant to go, and the smoke and the dark lava of the ground and the night all merge into a confusing blend of fire-studded darkness. She dips and rises, trundles this way and that between spiralling pillars of heated air, until she has no idea which way her home is, or how far she's come. Still, she'll be missed soon enough, and so she forces herself to stay afloat as long as she can bear, her chest and wings aching, muscles unused to the strain. Eventually, though, she knows she has to land. She can hardly hold onto her pearl anymore. Ahead, the glowing crown of a volcano beckons, bright and yellow in the night, and she lands on its flank with a thump and in a cloud of black dust. She sneezes– and freezes.

There's a growl coming from behind her.

Wings dragging with exhaustion, she scrambles around, casts her eyes wildly around for the source of the noise. All she can see is black rock, deeper shadows and orange glow, limning jagged edges, from a near-by lava flow. No, there– scales shimmering like an oil slick, a serpentine form rises from between the rocks. She shrinks back as the Imperial dragon towers over her, flattenes her ears, clutches her pearl tightly between her hands. It has to be an Imperial, she thinks miserably. It's at least twice her size, and Imperials aren't known to care much for Pearlcatchers.

But to her surprise, the growl rumbles to a stop, and a broad nose sniffs in her direction, whiskers spread. “Oh, sorry,” the Imperial says– a male by the voice. “You startled me– I didn't mean to scare you.”

Ara climbs back to her feet, tries to hide her shaking. “I wasn't scared,” she claimes, and doesn't need a sceptical ear tilted her way to know she's not convincing anyone. “Um. I'm Aramorel.”
“Hello, Aramorel,” the Imperial says. “I'm Mitri. It's nice to meet you.”

16690113_350.png

“Hello,” she answers. “What are you doing here?”
To her surprise, he droops his wings in a way that's decidedly sheepish. Come to think of it, now that her heart-rate's calming down, she realizes he has to be quite young himself– as intimidating as he looked at first, here in the dark, he's nowhere near fully grown for an Imperial.
“Eh.” He raises a hand to scratch at his mane. “I was supposed to train to join the Flamecaller, but with all the rushing about and excitement about the Starfall Celebration... I lost my guides to the lair. So.” He splays his ears sideways. “I'm lost?”
“Oh.” She sits down on her haunches. “Do you know what the lair was called?”
He shakes his great maned head. “No idea. No one said. What about you?”
She ducks her head a little. “I was supposed to go and serve a deity, too, but... But I haven't seen anything of the world yet!” She straightens her spine. “I ran away.”
“All by yourself?” He flicks his ears forward in astonishment. “That's... pretty brave.”
“Um. Thanks,” Ara answers, feels herself sag again. “Now I'm kind of lost, too, though.”
To her surprise, Mitri laughs. “Well, do you want to be lost together for a bit? It's late, you must be tired. There's sort of a cave here– it's a bit cooler down there.”
“The heat doesn't bother me,” she says, but picks up her pearl and follows him to a fissure in the volcanic rock anyway.
He peers over his shoulder at her. “Right. Fire dragon, huh?”
She nods. “Yeah. And you?”
He sighs. “Shadow. It's a lot cooler there. And quieter.”
She ducks into cave after him– it's pitch dark in there, and she probably wouldn't have been able to see Mitri even if he wasn't pretty perfectly camouflaged. She hears him moving around a bit, scales scraping against rock, and makes her way carefully to the side of the entrance, feeling for the wall with a hand. Once she's out of the way a bit, she gratefully curls up around her pearl. She really wants to ask more about what the Shadow lands are like, and what else he's seen on his way here, but she's incredibly tired, so when Mitri wishes her a good night, it's all she can do to return the sentiment before she's fast asleep.
[center][item=Strangling Root][/center] The sun is shining when she wakes up in the morning, glistening in purples and greens and blues on the black tail curving along the ground in front of her nose. It takes Ara a moment to remember why she's in a cave with a strange dragon– and by the Flamecaller, what was she thinking, just following a perfect stranger? She peers at Mitri, loosely curled along the wall of the cave. He doesn't look so threatening, asleep, his flanks rising and falling and his whiskers twitching occasionally. And he didn't hurt her, so she figures there's little point in worrying about it now. She climbs to her feet, pearl in her mouth, and scoots out of the cave, careful not to step on Mitri's tail trailing across the entrance. It's an unusually bright, clear morning, the blue sky only marred by a few distant streaks of smoke and cloud. The volcano she's on was the last in a row of them, rising out over scruffy fields and half-singed forests. There's grass growing in between the cracks of the rock, and vibrant flowers, and Ara snaps a bee out of the air for a snack, then settles down to let the warmth of the sun sooth her sore muscles. She's just finished caring for her pearl, giving it a last lick, when Mitri steps up next to her. He fans his wings a bit, sticks his nose up into the sun, then grins at her. “Good morning,” he greets cheerfully. “I'm starving! Want to go look for food?” She agrees, curls her pearl up in her tail, and climbs to her feet, shakes her wings out with a grimace. She's not up to a real flight, but Mitri doesn't mind walking and hopping down the mountain side with only a little glide here and there, as they make for the fields below. They're munching on sweet flowers and chasing grasshoppers along the edge of the forest when Mitri lifts his head, tilts his ears. “Do you hear that?” he asks. Ara sits up on her haunches, listens for whatever it is– and, there... is that a voice? She looks at Mitri, unsure. “Is someone calling for help?” “I think so,” Mitri answers, shifts his hands in the grass. “Should we... go check it out?” Ara hesitates, looks around. The meadow and the forest look bright and peaceful in the sunshine, but she's heard enough stories about savage Beastclans willing to rip a dragon to shreds for entering their territory, and rival dragon clans that aren't much better. “I guess,” she says. “But really carefully?” Mitri nods his agreement. “I think it's coming from that way.” He points along the edge of the forest. They follow the sound, and it is someone calling for help, a young male voice in Drakonian, but there's also the sound of snarls and rustles. Ara's very conscious that, even though they're trying to walk quietly and not draw attention to themselves, they're [i]really[/i] visible- Mitri's not nearly as camouflaged in a meadow as he is against black volcanic rock, and his scales gleam and shimmer in the sun. And she's black herself, and her wings are [i]blue[/i], so it's not like that's any better. She forgets all about that, however, when they reach the source of the commotion. There's a dragon, a Mirror, pulling and leaping and scratching at something just at the edge of the forest. He's panting, his tail lashing, his wings flaring– and he looks really familiar. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16990276] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/169903/16990276_350.png[/img] [/url] Ara starts, then takes off, running towards him. “Dexter?!” He looks up, his crest flaring. “Ara! Oh, thank the Flamecaller! Please, you have to help!” “What are you doing here?” she demands, even as she turns to look at what he's tearing at. She feels her eyes widen. There, half in and half out of the forest is Feral, Dexter's sister, vines wrapped tightly around her, bloody scratches on her bright hide. The plant is wrapped around her neck, and she's panting weakly, her lean sides heaving as her claws scrabble on the ground, long furrows in the soil where she's been struggling. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=16990277] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/169903/16990277_350.png[/img] [/url] As Ara watches, the vines start dragging her backwards into the forest, and Dexter darts in with a cry to tear at the tough plant, then jumps back to avoid tendrils lashing for his own face. Asking about what two young dragons from the hatchling pool next to hers are doing here will have to wait. Ara sets her pearl to the side and reaches to help pry the vines off of Feral.
Strangling Root

The sun is shining when she wakes up in the morning, glistening in purples and greens and blues on the black tail curving along the ground in front of her nose. It takes Ara a moment to remember why she's in a cave with a strange dragon– and by the Flamecaller, what was she thinking, just following a perfect stranger? She peers at Mitri, loosely curled along the wall of the cave. He doesn't look so threatening, asleep, his flanks rising and falling and his whiskers twitching occasionally. And he didn't hurt her, so she figures there's little point in worrying about it now.
She climbs to her feet, pearl in her mouth, and scoots out of the cave, careful not to step on Mitri's tail trailing across the entrance.
It's an unusually bright, clear morning, the blue sky only marred by a few distant streaks of smoke and cloud. The volcano she's on was the last in a row of them, rising out over scruffy fields and half-singed forests. There's grass growing in between the cracks of the rock, and vibrant flowers, and Ara snaps a bee out of the air for a snack, then settles down to let the warmth of the sun sooth her sore muscles.

She's just finished caring for her pearl, giving it a last lick, when Mitri steps up next to her. He fans his wings a bit, sticks his nose up into the sun, then grins at her.
“Good morning,” he greets cheerfully. “I'm starving! Want to go look for food?”
She agrees, curls her pearl up in her tail, and climbs to her feet, shakes her wings out with a grimace. She's not up to a real flight, but Mitri doesn't mind walking and hopping down the mountain side with only a little glide here and there, as they make for the fields below.

They're munching on sweet flowers and chasing grasshoppers along the edge of the forest when Mitri lifts his head, tilts his ears.
“Do you hear that?” he asks.
Ara sits up on her haunches, listens for whatever it is– and, there... is that a voice? She looks at Mitri, unsure. “Is someone calling for help?”
“I think so,” Mitri answers, shifts his hands in the grass. “Should we... go check it out?”
Ara hesitates, looks around. The meadow and the forest look bright and peaceful in the sunshine, but she's heard enough stories about savage Beastclans willing to rip a dragon to shreds for entering their territory, and rival dragon clans that aren't much better.
“I guess,” she says. “But really carefully?”
Mitri nods his agreement. “I think it's coming from that way.” He points along the edge of the forest.
They follow the sound, and it is someone calling for help, a young male voice in Drakonian, but there's also the sound of snarls and rustles. Ara's very conscious that, even though they're trying to walk quietly and not draw attention to themselves, they're really visible- Mitri's not nearly as camouflaged in a meadow as he is against black volcanic rock, and his scales gleam and shimmer in the sun. And she's black herself, and her wings are blue, so it's not like that's any better.
She forgets all about that, however, when they reach the source of the commotion.
There's a dragon, a Mirror, pulling and leaping and scratching at something just at the edge of the forest. He's panting, his tail lashing, his wings flaring– and he looks really familiar.

16990276_350.png

Ara starts, then takes off, running towards him.
“Dexter?!”
He looks up, his crest flaring. “Ara! Oh, thank the Flamecaller! Please, you have to help!”
“What are you doing here?” she demands, even as she turns to look at what he's tearing at.
She feels her eyes widen. There, half in and half out of the forest is Feral, Dexter's sister, vines wrapped tightly around her, bloody scratches on her bright hide. The plant is wrapped around her neck, and she's panting weakly, her lean sides heaving as her claws scrabble on the ground, long furrows in the soil where she's been struggling.

16990277_350.png

As Ara watches, the vines start dragging her backwards into the forest, and Dexter darts in with a cry to tear at the tough plant, then jumps back to avoid tendrils lashing for his own face.
Asking about what two young dragons from the hatchling pool next to hers are doing here will have to wait. Ara sets her pearl to the side and reaches to help pry the vines off of Feral.
@CanisLupus03 This looks really awesome! Can I be added to the pinglist?
@CanisLupus03 This looks really awesome! Can I be added to the pinglist?
Na5WGHa.png
@tigressRising Yay, a reader! Haha, thanks, I'll add you!
@tigressRising Yay, a reader! Haha, thanks, I'll add you!
[center][item=Impure Sacridite][/center] With Mitri's help, between the three of them, they manage to pry the vines off of Feral long enough for her to wriggle her way out, and then they all scramble away from the forest edge and collapse in the grass, out of reach of the vines that lash after them sullenly before retreating, and with a last rustle, quiet settles over them. The sun is warm on their scales, insects drone in the grass, and a distant bird is singing. Ara turns her head just enough to regard Dexter through the grass. “What are you doing here?” she asks again. Dex flaps a sheepish wing. “We followed you,” he admits. “You followed me?!” she repeats incredulously. “But... how? And [i]why[/i]?” “We just... we saw you leave, so we followed. And it was so dark, like, even if we wanted to turn back, we didn't know where we were.” He ducks his head, crests tight against his neck. “We lost you at some point, so we landed and spent the night near here... I thought maybe we'd lost you for good and you kept on flying...” He raises his head again, meets her eyes stubbornly. “But we're not sorry, okay? You're going on an adventure, right? And...” He glances at his sister. “And, Ferrie... you know no clan would want her.” Feral, her breath still wheezing slightly in her abused throat, nudges her nose against her brother's jaw, gives a whine, then turns a challenging stare on Ara. Despite the fact that she's Dexter's twin, and barely younger than Ara, Feral has never spoken a word. By now, everyone in their old clan was pretty sure that she can't speak, and whether she understands others when they speak to her– who knows? Ara slumps back down in the grass with a sigh. It's too late to be upset now– she doesn't know the way back, and neither, it seems, to the siblings, even if they wanted to return. Mitri nudges one of her wings with his nose. “Well, the more the merrier, right?” he says. “We'll be safer together than alone, and you wanted to see the world, too, right? We can be a clan of adventurers!” He smiles, flaps his wings in excitement, whiskers quivering. “This is Mitri,” Ara introduces him belatedly, and has to admit he's right. Dexter lashes his tail, sits up, infected by Mitri's excitement. “Yes! Let's become great warriors and adventurers, and go places! I want to see the Viridian Labyrinth, and Dragonhome, and the Sea of a Thousand Currents, and [i]everything[/i]!” Feral yips, and rolls onto her back, hands and feet waving in the air before she flips around to her side, where she lies grinning, tongue lolling out of her mouth. “Look, I brought these!” Dexter says, pulls a bundle from his back Ara hadn't noticed. She peeks inside, feels her eyes widen. [center][item=Burlap Sack] [item=Minor Health Potion][/center] “Did you... Did you steal these?” Dexter flares his crest, then flattens it again. “What, it's not like anyone back home [i]uses[/i] them. They just lie around everywhere until someone bothers to scrape them all together and take them to the Auction House to sell! I bet they won't even notice I took them.” Ara casts another look at the small vials full of bright red potion in the sack– dozens and dozens of them. Dexter's right– they mostly just pile up in forgotten corners of the vault back home. “Okay,” she says, feels a tingle of excitement herself. “Let's rest today, and tomorrow start on our adventure!” “And training!” Dex says enthusiastically, waves his hands in the air, sitting on his haunches. “Let's train! I'll become the best warrior in all of Sornieth!” Mitri laughs, and pushes him in the side with his head so Dex falls over in the grass. “That'll be a lot of training,” he teases with a grin. “Maybe[i] I[/i]'ll become the best warrior in Sornieth.” Dex flips over onto all fours, fans out pale wings, growls playfully– and then he's chasing Mitri all over the meadow. Feral takes one look at them, rolls onto her own feet, shakes herself out, and takes off after them. Ara gets comfortable in the grass, the sack with the potions and her pearl safely nestled against her side, and watches them play. @tigressRising
Impure Sacridite

With Mitri's help, between the three of them, they manage to pry the vines off of Feral long enough for her to wriggle her way out, and then they all scramble away from the forest edge and collapse in the grass, out of reach of the vines that lash after them sullenly before retreating, and with a last rustle, quiet settles over them. The sun is warm on their scales, insects drone in the grass, and a distant bird is singing.

Ara turns her head just enough to regard Dexter through the grass. “What are you doing here?” she asks again.
Dex flaps a sheepish wing. “We followed you,” he admits.
“You followed me?!” she repeats incredulously. “But... how? And why?”
“We just... we saw you leave, so we followed. And it was so dark, like, even if we wanted to turn back, we didn't know where we were.” He ducks his head, crests tight against his neck. “We lost you at some point, so we landed and spent the night near here... I thought maybe we'd lost you for good and you kept on flying...” He raises his head again, meets her eyes stubbornly. “But we're not sorry, okay? You're going on an adventure, right? And...” He glances at his sister. “And, Ferrie... you know no clan would want her.”
Feral, her breath still wheezing slightly in her abused throat, nudges her nose against her brother's jaw, gives a whine, then turns a challenging stare on Ara.
Despite the fact that she's Dexter's twin, and barely younger than Ara, Feral has never spoken a word. By now, everyone in their old clan was pretty sure that she can't speak, and whether she understands others when they speak to her– who knows?
Ara slumps back down in the grass with a sigh. It's too late to be upset now– she doesn't know the way back, and neither, it seems, to the siblings, even if they wanted to return.
Mitri nudges one of her wings with his nose. “Well, the more the merrier, right?” he says. “We'll be safer together than alone, and you wanted to see the world, too, right? We can be a clan of adventurers!” He smiles, flaps his wings in excitement, whiskers quivering.
“This is Mitri,” Ara introduces him belatedly, and has to admit he's right.
Dexter lashes his tail, sits up, infected by Mitri's excitement. “Yes! Let's become great warriors and adventurers, and go places! I want to see the Viridian Labyrinth, and Dragonhome, and the Sea of a Thousand Currents, and everything!”
Feral yips, and rolls onto her back, hands and feet waving in the air before she flips around to her side, where she lies grinning, tongue lolling out of her mouth.
“Look, I brought these!” Dexter says, pulls a bundle from his back Ara hadn't noticed. She peeks inside, feels her eyes widen.

Burlap Sack Minor Health Potion

“Did you... Did you steal these?”
Dexter flares his crest, then flattens it again. “What, it's not like anyone back home uses them. They just lie around everywhere until someone bothers to scrape them all together and take them to the Auction House to sell! I bet they won't even notice I took them.”
Ara casts another look at the small vials full of bright red potion in the sack– dozens and dozens of them. Dexter's right– they mostly just pile up in forgotten corners of the vault back home.
“Okay,” she says, feels a tingle of excitement herself. “Let's rest today, and tomorrow start on our adventure!”
“And training!” Dex says enthusiastically, waves his hands in the air, sitting on his haunches. “Let's train! I'll become the best warrior in all of Sornieth!”
Mitri laughs, and pushes him in the side with his head so Dex falls over in the grass. “That'll be a lot of training,” he teases with a grin. “Maybe I'll become the best warrior in Sornieth.”
Dex flips over onto all fours, fans out pale wings, growls playfully– and then he's chasing Mitri all over the meadow. Feral takes one look at them, rolls onto her own feet, shakes herself out, and takes off after them. Ara gets comfortable in the grass, the sack with the potions and her pearl safely nestled against her side, and watches them play.

@tigressRising
[center][item=Intact Stone Relief][/center] The days are filled with fighting. They battle bumbles and webwings between rough grass and nodding flowers at first, then cautiously start making their way into the forest along a half-forgotten, winding path. They feast on the spoils of their efforts, and grow quickly. Dex is the smallest of them, lean and fast with large wings, more happy to take to the air than most Mirrors, while Feral is a merciless, muscle-bound battering ram. True to her name, she knows no fear, and Ara privately thinks that if any of them is going to be the best warrior in Sornieth, it's her. Of course, Mitri outstrips them all by far in size and weight, but he doesn't share the fierce hunter-instinct of the twins. He's sweet and good-natured, and always willing to take a hit for a team mate. Ara... likes him. A lot. It takes her a little while to realize this, how she always seeks his company when she can, how his cheer makes any day brighter, even when the wind blows from the heart of the Ashfall Wastes and covers the sky in smoke so thick it's murky twilight at noon. For a little while, they stay in that same cave Mitri showed her the first night, but with the twins added, it was a tight fit for four dragons even then. Ara didn't exactly mind curling up against Mitri, one of his wings draping over her shoulders, but with the way they all grow, it was obvious they had to find some other shelter before long. So when they're exploring the forest, and Feral comes running back from scouting ahead excitedly, crests and wings flaring, Ara meets Mitri's eyes, answers his bright grin, and they all follow Feral as she dashes back into the forest. Away from the path, it's a rich, green jungle, the loam soft and moist under their feet, saplings brushing against their hides as they make their way deeper into the trees. Ara can't help glancing around nervously. So far, they've never encountered anything they couldn't handle (or flee from), but... they've never been so far from the sunlit safety of the mountain side. What if they run into some other dragons? Or, worse, some of the Beastclans? Ara remembers her father's stories about fierce Centaurs in the woods, their spears and arrows crafted from razor-sharp obsidian to pierce a dragon's hide. After a good quarter of an hour's run, sunlight breaks through the trees ahead in bright shafts, dust motes dancing in it. It blinds her for a moment as she follows Mitri, who easily pushes through the undergrowth with bulk. She halts, blinking, until Mitri raises a wing over her head to block out the glare. They're standing on a lava flow that's cut a swathe through the forest, smooth black rock under their feet, fringed by the stumps of burned trees. It's long cold and hardened, and grasses and small bushes are peeking up from cracks and folds in the stone. Feral is already half-way across, bright against the dark volcanic rock. She looks back at them, flares her wings impatiently, then points across to the other side. There's something there, just past the edge of the lava flow, covered in greenery, but it's too regular in shape for a rock. It's an old temple, Ara realizes as they hurry across. It's overgrown with ferns and trees, but most of the big, square stones are still fitted tightly underneath. There's a courtyard, deeper than the current level of the ground, and beyond that the temple itself, a ceiling supported by big square pillars, like an artificial cave under its hood of trees. Ferrie sits down, flexes her crests smugly, and Dex laughs and hugs her, then turns and grins at them. “This is so cool! Come on, let's explore!” Ara gives the dark opening a doubtful look. “Are you sure? We don't know what could be down there...” Dex whines in the back of his throat, dances on his feet. “C'[i]mon[/i], Ara! It's an adventure!” He gives Mitri a pleading look. “You want to go, right? Right?” Mitri ducks his head sheepishly as he meets Ara's eyes. “Yeah.” He nudges her shoulder with his nose. “We'll stick together, and if we find anything dangerous, we can always run away. Right?” Ara frowns, then sighs. “Yeah, alright then.” Truth is, she's curious, too. Dex launches himself into the air with a hop and a flap of his wings for a second, then sidles up to Feral. “Let's go, let's go!” Inside, the air is cool and still. At the entrance, the floor is covered in debris, but as they enter the darkness beyond, it's smooth flagstones. Their claws click on them with every step. Ara, Dex and Ferrie keep a bit of fire simmering around their lips, and in its light, they can see that the walls are covered in reliefs, pictures of dragons in all sorts of poses, depictions of what seem to be battles and quests. Ara loses all sense of time, wandering around to study this carving and that, until a shout from Dex brings her out of her contemplation of what seems to be the story of a Guardian dragon searching for his Charge. Dex waves them into a side-room, and Ara sneezes as she enters– the air is strangely thick, prickling. “Look!” Dex says in a half-whisper, points at a pile of flat stones against a wall. “I think... I think these are battle stones!” [center][item=Fiery Might Fragment][item=Regeneration][item=Fiery Acuity Fragment][/center] Ara flares her wings in surprise, curls her tail tighter around her pearl, and hurries over. It's the smell of magic in the air, she realizes, and Dex is right: they are battle stones. They all crowd around them, and Mitri raises a tentative hand to pull one stone from the pile, to study it. Back home, they never were allowed near the battle stones– “Those are not for hatchlings!” RoyalGold would say, and usher them out of the Vault. Dex grins, all four orange eyes gleaming. “Battle stones!” he says, low but excited. “The things we can learn with these...!” @tigressRising
Intact Stone Relief

The days are filled with fighting. They battle bumbles and webwings between rough grass and nodding flowers at first, then cautiously start making their way into the forest along a half-forgotten, winding path. They feast on the spoils of their efforts, and grow quickly. Dex is the smallest of them, lean and fast with large wings, more happy to take to the air than most Mirrors, while Feral is a merciless, muscle-bound battering ram. True to her name, she knows no fear, and Ara privately thinks that if any of them is going to be the best warrior in Sornieth, it's her. Of course, Mitri outstrips them all by far in size and weight, but he doesn't share the fierce hunter-instinct of the twins. He's sweet and good-natured, and always willing to take a hit for a team mate. Ara... likes him. A lot.
It takes her a little while to realize this, how she always seeks his company when she can, how his cheer makes any day brighter, even when the wind blows from the heart of the Ashfall Wastes and covers the sky in smoke so thick it's murky twilight at noon.

For a little while, they stay in that same cave Mitri showed her the first night, but with the twins added, it was a tight fit for four dragons even then. Ara didn't exactly mind curling up against Mitri, one of his wings draping over her shoulders, but with the way they all grow, it was obvious they had to find some other shelter before long.
So when they're exploring the forest, and Feral comes running back from scouting ahead excitedly, crests and wings flaring, Ara meets Mitri's eyes, answers his bright grin, and they all follow Feral as she dashes back into the forest.
Away from the path, it's a rich, green jungle, the loam soft and moist under their feet, saplings brushing against their hides as they make their way deeper into the trees. Ara can't help glancing around nervously. So far, they've never encountered anything they couldn't handle (or flee from), but... they've never been so far from the sunlit safety of the mountain side. What if they run into some other dragons? Or, worse, some of the Beastclans? Ara remembers her father's stories about fierce Centaurs in the woods, their spears and arrows crafted from razor-sharp obsidian to pierce a dragon's hide.
After a good quarter of an hour's run, sunlight breaks through the trees ahead in bright shafts, dust motes dancing in it. It blinds her for a moment as she follows Mitri, who easily pushes through the undergrowth with bulk. She halts, blinking, until Mitri raises a wing over her head to block out the glare.
They're standing on a lava flow that's cut a swathe through the forest, smooth black rock under their feet, fringed by the stumps of burned trees. It's long cold and hardened, and grasses and small bushes are peeking up from cracks and folds in the stone. Feral is already half-way across, bright against the dark volcanic rock. She looks back at them, flares her wings impatiently, then points across to the other side. There's something there, just past the edge of the lava flow, covered in greenery, but it's too regular in shape for a rock. It's an old temple, Ara realizes as they hurry across. It's overgrown with ferns and trees, but most of the big, square stones are still fitted tightly underneath. There's a courtyard, deeper than the current level of the ground, and beyond that the temple itself, a ceiling supported by big square pillars, like an artificial cave under its hood of trees.
Ferrie sits down, flexes her crests smugly, and Dex laughs and hugs her, then turns and grins at them.
“This is so cool! Come on, let's explore!”
Ara gives the dark opening a doubtful look. “Are you sure? We don't know what could be down there...”
Dex whines in the back of his throat, dances on his feet. “C'mon, Ara! It's an adventure!” He gives Mitri a pleading look. “You want to go, right? Right?”
Mitri ducks his head sheepishly as he meets Ara's eyes. “Yeah.” He nudges her shoulder with his nose. “We'll stick together, and if we find anything dangerous, we can always run away. Right?”
Ara frowns, then sighs. “Yeah, alright then.” Truth is, she's curious, too.
Dex launches himself into the air with a hop and a flap of his wings for a second, then sidles up to Feral. “Let's go, let's go!”

Inside, the air is cool and still. At the entrance, the floor is covered in debris, but as they enter the darkness beyond, it's smooth flagstones. Their claws click on them with every step. Ara, Dex and Ferrie keep a bit of fire simmering around their lips, and in its light, they can see that the walls are covered in reliefs, pictures of dragons in all sorts of poses, depictions of what seem to be battles and quests.
Ara loses all sense of time, wandering around to study this carving and that, until a shout from Dex brings her out of her contemplation of what seems to be the story of a Guardian dragon searching for his Charge. Dex waves them into a side-room, and Ara sneezes as she enters– the air is strangely thick, prickling.
“Look!” Dex says in a half-whisper, points at a pile of flat stones against a wall. “I think... I think these are battle stones!”
Fiery Might Fragment Regeneration Fiery Acuity Fragment

Ara flares her wings in surprise, curls her tail tighter around her pearl, and hurries over. It's the smell of magic in the air, she realizes, and Dex is right: they are battle stones.
They all crowd around them, and Mitri raises a tentative hand to pull one stone from the pile, to study it.
Back home, they never were allowed near the battle stones– “Those are not for hatchlings!” RoyalGold would say, and usher them out of the Vault.
Dex grins, all four orange eyes gleaming. “Battle stones!” he says, low but excited. “The things we can learn with these...!”

@tigressRising
@CanisLupus03
Yay, new update! Do I sense a budding romance between Ara and Mitri, or is it painfully one-sided on her part? So hard to tell with just one perspective - but then, that's what makes it interesting.

And you got some battlestones! Nice - those will come in handy. I'm glad to see they're doing well in the Training Fields and the Woodland Path. How are your dragons handling the Scorched Forest so far?
@CanisLupus03
Yay, new update! Do I sense a budding romance between Ara and Mitri, or is it painfully one-sided on her part? So hard to tell with just one perspective - but then, that's what makes it interesting.

And you got some battlestones! Nice - those will come in handy. I'm glad to see they're doing well in the Training Fields and the Woodland Path. How are your dragons handling the Scorched Forest so far?
Na5WGHa.png
@tigressRising

You read fast, lol! Yes, there's definitely romance in the air... I'm a bit behind, but I record all my Pinkerton gains and then catch up when I have the time, and I have more apparel than I know what to do with... Well, I suppose I could put Ara and Dex on a nest and Mitri and Ferrie... but Ara and Mitri have decided they like each other, so that's that, ;-) Dex might be getting a gene instead... I'll see!
I did get some battle stones in the Coli with the kids, but nothing useful to them, actually, so I stoned them with things I have lying around in my Hoard, which is plenty... That's sort of why I've decided they find a pile of them, rather than having got them in battle. So far, they've been holding out well, but we haven't braved the Scorched Forest yet... soon. I hope all goes well! *bites nails* I'm far too attached to these kids, <.< We'll be going veeeery careful, haha!
@tigressRising

You read fast, lol! Yes, there's definitely romance in the air... I'm a bit behind, but I record all my Pinkerton gains and then catch up when I have the time, and I have more apparel than I know what to do with... Well, I suppose I could put Ara and Dex on a nest and Mitri and Ferrie... but Ara and Mitri have decided they like each other, so that's that, ;-) Dex might be getting a gene instead... I'll see!
I did get some battle stones in the Coli with the kids, but nothing useful to them, actually, so I stoned them with things I have lying around in my Hoard, which is plenty... That's sort of why I've decided they find a pile of them, rather than having got them in battle. So far, they've been holding out well, but we haven't braved the Scorched Forest yet... soon. I hope all goes well! *bites nails* I'm far too attached to these kids, <.< We'll be going veeeery careful, haha!
1 2 3 4