Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | The Cottontail Clan (Story)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
This is the story of my clan, as they try to find a life together after the move to Dragonhome. Three small Nature clans without a care in the world were thrust into chaos when an attack by a Shade-corrupted dragon ravaged one of the clans, and they've banded together. That story can be found through this link, there's a little too much violence to be posted here.
Can the clans band together and find life in the dry, empty desert?

Notes:
  • I don't anticipate anyone to read and enjoy this, I'm just writing it for personal enjoyment.
  • If you do, feel free to comment as you please, constructive criticism and comments are welcomed, but please keep the negativity out. I'm here to have fun!
  • All dragons here will have information in their bios, if you want to know about them.
  • If there's a story you want to read about a particular clan member, prompt away, I write whatever takes my fancy.
This is the story of my clan, as they try to find a life together after the move to Dragonhome. Three small Nature clans without a care in the world were thrust into chaos when an attack by a Shade-corrupted dragon ravaged one of the clans, and they've banded together. That story can be found through this link, there's a little too much violence to be posted here.
Can the clans band together and find life in the dry, empty desert?

Notes:
  • I don't anticipate anyone to read and enjoy this, I'm just writing it for personal enjoyment.
  • If you do, feel free to comment as you please, constructive criticism and comments are welcomed, but please keep the negativity out. I'm here to have fun!
  • All dragons here will have information in their bios, if you want to know about them.
  • If there's a story you want to read about a particular clan member, prompt away, I write whatever takes my fancy.
14c75055bcb9cc67c8a94a46926ff636.gif57b6a078ae70f8cb63a2da784d24b17c.png
Chapter Guide:

• Chapter 1: A House is not a Home...
  • Chapter 2: Migration
  • Chapter 3: The Mushroom Ring
  • Chapter 4: Amaranthus
  • Chapter 5: Poppy
  • Chapter 6: Squish the Adventurer
  • Chapter 7: Hatchling Tales: The Bravest Spiral
  • Chapter 8: Nectar of the Gods
  • Chapter 9: The End of a Clan
  • Chapter 10: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Secrets
  • Chapter 11: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Gathering Intelligence
  • Chapter 12: Firing Clay
  • Chapter 13: Memories of Fire
  • Chapter 14: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Stowaway
  • Chapter 15: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Cloudsong Market
  • Chapter 16: The Great Hatchling Adventure: The Candle Seller
Chapter Guide:

• Chapter 1: A House is not a Home...
  • Chapter 2: Migration
  • Chapter 3: The Mushroom Ring
  • Chapter 4: Amaranthus
  • Chapter 5: Poppy
  • Chapter 6: Squish the Adventurer
  • Chapter 7: Hatchling Tales: The Bravest Spiral
  • Chapter 8: Nectar of the Gods
  • Chapter 9: The End of a Clan
  • Chapter 10: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Secrets
  • Chapter 11: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Gathering Intelligence
  • Chapter 12: Firing Clay
  • Chapter 13: Memories of Fire
  • Chapter 14: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Stowaway
  • Chapter 15: The Great Hatchling Adventure: Cloudsong Market
  • Chapter 16: The Great Hatchling Adventure: The Candle Seller
Upcoming stories/notes:

• How Squish comes to the clan.
  • The hatchlings go spelunking!
  • The Water Catching
  • Discovering Amethyst
  • Hydrangea and Camellia <3
  • Peony and Moss
  • how the tiny hatchlings came to the clan
  • The bond between the Coatl sisters

Pinglist:
surfingpikachu tigressrising IntoTheWoods Amehime
Upcoming stories/notes:

• How Squish comes to the clan.
  • The hatchlings go spelunking!
  • The Water Catching
  • Discovering Amethyst
  • Hydrangea and Camellia <3
  • Peony and Moss
  • how the tiny hatchlings came to the clan
  • The bond between the Coatl sisters

Pinglist:
surfingpikachu tigressrising IntoTheWoods Amehime
[center][b]Chapter 1: A House is not a Home...[/b][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=9255594] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/92556/9255594_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Peony stared at the hard, cracked earth before her in dismay. The clan had been searching for weeks to find a suitable location to move to, and she'd gotten her hopes up many a time, only to discover that the region was already claimed, by dragon or beastclan. "Come and look" Dahlia was saying gently, ushering her towards a wide crack in the parched landscape. "I know it's not as... lush... as we'd hoped for" she continued, and Peony stared at her. There was no life for miles, only dusty, cracked dirt and rock, where the dirt gave way to unforgiving mountains. At least she had the grace to blush under that stare. "It's got potential, Peony. You'll see!" "It's so hot." Brondelle panted, struggling with her thick fur. Faerien stood silently beside her, face unreadable as always. "There are hydrothermal vents under the ground here." Dahlia explained "It's heated by volcanic activity underground, as well as by the sun. You can feel it inside the cave." Peony sighed, longing for the cool earth and sweet grassy meadow of home. Heated from above and below. What could possibly grow in such a place? Sensitive to her sisters mood, Dahlia stretched a wing around her comfortingly as they entered the cave "It'll be alright Peony. Just take a look around, we can keep looking if it doesn't suit." Peony said nothing. The clans couldn't afford to stay at Rabbithole Run much longer. Since the assault by the shadetouched dragon, Nebula, and the resulting destruction of the mushroom ring, the clans had been under increasing pressure from local beastclan. Centaur raiding parties were increasing in both size and frequency, Harpies were becoming bolder, and even some Serthis clans were beginning to cause trouble, poisoning food and tainting water supplies. Although Faerien and his Ethereal Court could no longer protect them with the ring broken, they had remained, and had united with the shattered remnants of Brondelle's Clan and the resident's of Rabbithole Run to form an alliance. Not truly one clan, but three, working and living in harmony. Even reduced in numbers as they were, they couldn't all reside in the Run, and Brondelle's territory was reduced to nothing but rubble and horrible memories. They had holed up in the run for the past month, but the pressure from the assaulting beastclan was increasing daily. Peony knew they couldn't stay much longer, as much as the barren landscape made her feel like weeping. The small party descended into the cave, picking their way carefully down a craggy slope. Peony felt the warm air at once. It wasn't unpleasant, she decided. Rather than being stifling she found it rather cosy. She noticed another change in the air. While the winds outside were hot and dry, the air coming from the cave was, not exactly moist, but carrying enough water to feel pleasant. She wondered how. Dahlia led them through the cave, pointing out the features that could render it suitable. "The entrance we could easily turn into a nice set of stairs with a bit of nifty stonework. There are smaller offshoots all along this main chambers, this one is a tunnel with a lot more, it would make good living quarters. If you'll follow me this way..." She let them along a tunnel that curved gradually downward. Forks and entrances gave the cave system more chambers than a rabbit warren. Peony sighed again, she'd miss her bunny companions. They'd inhabited the run even longer than her, and they'd been a part of her life ever since she first came there, alone, learning the ways of plants and sleeping in a small burrow alongside the rabbits long before even her sisters Dahlia and Camellia came into her life. A glow caught her eye, and she looked up to see light coming from the ceiling ahead. She had thought they were deeper than that, there must be a crack all the way to the surface. Not good for keeping the rain out, she thought. If rain ever falls on this wretched desert. Dahlia hurried towards the light and they followed. Peering up to see the crack, Peony discovered not sunlight, but, glowing golden ooze. "What?" she blurted. "Bioluminescent slime!" Dahlia proclaimed, bouncing with excitement "I suspect it's a species of fungus, and the heat and moisture from the hydrothermal vents allows it to grow. It illuminates most of the cave system already!" Faerien trilled with approval, and Brondelle laughed, amazed. Peony was glad to see her friend smiling, she'd done so very little since the attack. She supposed she was the same herself. Pansy. She forced the thought down. "Moisture?" she asked "I thought this was all dirt and lava?" "Well, technically if it's still under the ground it would be called magma, not lava, and..." Dahlia shook her head, realising she was starting on one of her tangents again. She corrected herself. "Hydrothermal vents are hot water. They are heated by the volcanic activity, the 'lava' if you like. The moisture seeps thought the rock enough to allow some growth, or sometimes breaks the surface. Here, let me show you." She led them down a few more dimly lit tunnels, the goop hanging in drips from the ceiling actually quite pretty in its own, glowing way. The air grew thick, and hotter, taking on a strange earthy tang. They came out into a large chamber, covered in the glowing slime and quite well lit. Numerous pools steamed in the centre of the chamber. "These are hot springs" Dahlia explained "I've tested the water extensively, and though it's very high in a lot of minerals and nutrients, it's safe to bathe in, although I wouldn't reccomens drinking it. The temperature is actually quite pleasant once you adjust to it." Suiting her words, she dipped a claw carefully into a small pool. Peony tried it too. "It feels wonderful." she admitted. "Like a warm hug from the water" Brondelle added dreamily, before pulling her sodden foreleg out, sloshing water from her fur. Faerien nodded, his tail draped over the edge of the pool. "Dahlia" Peony began, it was time to talk seriously, as nice as the hot springs may be. "We can't sustain the clans here. The cave is perfect, it's beautiful, but think of the practicalities. What of food? We can't grow anything here, there's no sunlight in the caves and no moisture above ground. The soil up there looks stripped of all nutrients even if there was enough water for anything to grow. We can't even drink the only water here. And what of the mushroom ring? Faerien and Taffy are working hard to rebuild the Ethereal Court, and they need to grow a new ring. You can't expect them to grow a tiny one here, and be bound in this cave." She hung her head "I'm sorry Dahlia I know you were excited for this one but it just can't work." Dahlia grinned at her. "That's where you come in." Peony snorted softly "I appreciate your confidence in my abilities sister, but even I can't coax plants to grow with no water and no nutrients, despite all the sunshine. And I certainly can't grow them down here. Glowing fungus isn't the same as sunshine. Huge trees might reach the water with their taproots, but they'd never make it to adulthood." "But you've hit the nail on the head yourself!" the younger coatl retorted, still smiling. "The soil up there is lacking water and nutrients. What is the one resource this place has in abundance? Water which is abnormally full of nutrients!" Peony blinked at her sister. "I understand what you're suggesting, but it won't work. The water in these pools isn't enough to grow what we'd need. With no larger trees, no shade, the ground would dry out too fast. It would take the efforts of a whole clan to move the water around, and even though this looks like a lot of water, we'd drain it quickly. We can't destroy one resource to allow another." She looked at her sister in dismay. "What? Why are you still grinning like that? It won't work!" Dahlia shook her head "Peony, you're only confirming my idea! Listen." She lifted her chin and fluffed out her wings, as she always did when about to give a lecture. But unlike usual, there was excitement in her voice. "This is where the water table is. No matter how much water we draw, our clan won't take but a drop from the underground supply. It's infinite, Peony, we just have to spread it around! Faerien, from what Taffy tells me, you two have some ability to manipulate life. Might you use it to help plants to grow better, or more quickly?" Faerien inclined his head slowly with a slight smile, a cautiously optimistic gesture, before speaking in the odd, rhyming way of the Ethereal Court members. [i]"Faster growth we may induce, for this I would be put to use. Though magic will come rather slow, until the Court can swell and grow. If life to this land you can bring, we can create a mushroom ring."[/i] "Thank you Faerien." smiled Dahlia, before turning back to Peony "See sister? Everything is accounted for. You said it yourself, the cave is perfect for us. All we need is you. Nobody can grow plants like you, I know you can coax life into this barren piece of land. We could all work together, all three clans, to move the water and help you with everything. You'd be directing us all, and we could turn the land around this cave into an oasis." "I do have a good stock of seed, although I'd need to gather a few species..." Peony mused, ideas and possibilities sparking to life. "If we establish grasses first to prevent soil erosion from all the water... And use the Court's magic to create a few large trees, they'd create shade and cool the air, and bring more water up by their taproots. With enough flowering species, insects will come to pollinate, then birds. What kind of species do grow in this region?" Peony realized she was smiling too. For the first time since she'd lost Pansy, she felt excited for life. The fog that had hung over her hadn't entirely lifted, but she felt as though it was beginning to. Like her internal fire had been fanned back to life, and was thawing her after a long, sad winter. She looked around at the faces of her friends, and saw in their faces the same hope and excitement she felt. "Let's do it!" she laughed, and the others cheered their agreement.
Chapter 1: A House is not a Home...

Peony stared at the hard, cracked earth before her in dismay. The clan had been searching for weeks to find a suitable location to move to, and she'd gotten her hopes up many a time, only to discover that the region was already claimed, by dragon or beastclan.
"Come and look" Dahlia was saying gently, ushering her towards a wide crack in the parched landscape. "I know it's not as... lush... as we'd hoped for" she continued, and Peony stared at her. There was no life for miles, only dusty, cracked dirt and rock, where the dirt gave way to unforgiving mountains. At least she had the grace to blush under that stare. "It's got potential, Peony. You'll see!"
"It's so hot." Brondelle panted, struggling with her thick fur. Faerien stood silently beside her, face unreadable as always.
"There are hydrothermal vents under the ground here." Dahlia explained "It's heated by volcanic activity underground, as well as by the sun. You can feel it inside the cave."
Peony sighed, longing for the cool earth and sweet grassy meadow of home. Heated from above and below. What could possibly grow in such a place? Sensitive to her sisters mood, Dahlia stretched a wing around her comfortingly as they entered the cave "It'll be alright Peony. Just take a look around, we can keep looking if it doesn't suit." Peony said nothing. The clans couldn't afford to stay at Rabbithole Run much longer. Since the assault by the shadetouched dragon, Nebula, and the resulting destruction of the mushroom ring, the clans had been under increasing pressure from local beastclan. Centaur raiding parties were increasing in both size and frequency, Harpies were becoming bolder, and even some Serthis clans were beginning to cause trouble, poisoning food and tainting water supplies. Although Faerien and his Ethereal Court could no longer protect them with the ring broken, they had remained, and had united with the shattered remnants of Brondelle's Clan and the resident's of Rabbithole Run to form an alliance. Not truly one clan, but three, working and living in harmony.

Even reduced in numbers as they were, they couldn't all reside in the Run, and Brondelle's territory was reduced to nothing but rubble and horrible memories. They had holed up in the run for the past month, but the pressure from the assaulting beastclan was increasing daily. Peony knew they couldn't stay much longer, as much as the barren landscape made her feel like weeping.
The small party descended into the cave, picking their way carefully down a craggy slope. Peony felt the warm air at once. It wasn't unpleasant, she decided. Rather than being stifling she found it rather cosy. She noticed another change in the air. While the winds outside were hot and dry, the air coming from the cave was, not exactly moist, but carrying enough water to feel pleasant. She wondered how.

Dahlia led them through the cave, pointing out the features that could render it suitable. "The entrance we could easily turn into a nice set of stairs with a bit of nifty stonework. There are smaller offshoots all along this main chambers, this one is a tunnel with a lot more, it would make good living quarters. If you'll follow me this way..."
She let them along a tunnel that curved gradually downward. Forks and entrances gave the cave system more chambers than a rabbit warren. Peony sighed again, she'd miss her bunny companions. They'd inhabited the run even longer than her, and they'd been a part of her life ever since she first came there, alone, learning the ways of plants and sleeping in a small burrow alongside the rabbits long before even her sisters Dahlia and Camellia came into her life.
A glow caught her eye, and she looked up to see light coming from the ceiling ahead. She had thought they were deeper than that, there must be a crack all the way to the surface. Not good for keeping the rain out, she thought. If rain ever falls on this wretched desert.

Dahlia hurried towards the light and they followed. Peering up to see the crack, Peony discovered not sunlight, but, glowing golden ooze. "What?" she blurted.
"Bioluminescent slime!" Dahlia proclaimed, bouncing with excitement "I suspect it's a species of fungus, and the heat and moisture from the hydrothermal vents allows it to grow. It illuminates most of the cave system already!"
Faerien trilled with approval, and Brondelle laughed, amazed. Peony was glad to see her friend smiling, she'd done so very little since the attack. She supposed she was the same herself. Pansy. She forced the thought down. "Moisture?" she asked "I thought this was all dirt and lava?"
"Well, technically if it's still under the ground it would be called magma, not lava, and..." Dahlia shook her head, realising she was starting on one of her tangents again. She corrected herself. "Hydrothermal vents are hot water. They are heated by the volcanic activity, the 'lava' if you like. The moisture seeps thought the rock enough to allow some growth, or sometimes breaks the surface. Here, let me show you."

She led them down a few more dimly lit tunnels, the goop hanging in drips from the ceiling actually quite pretty in its own, glowing way. The air grew thick, and hotter, taking on a strange earthy tang. They came out into a large chamber, covered in the glowing slime and quite well lit. Numerous pools steamed in the centre of the chamber.

"These are hot springs" Dahlia explained "I've tested the water extensively, and though it's very high in a lot of minerals and nutrients, it's safe to bathe in, although I wouldn't reccomens drinking it. The temperature is actually quite pleasant once you adjust to it." Suiting her words, she dipped a claw carefully into a small pool. Peony tried it too.
"It feels wonderful." she admitted.
"Like a warm hug from the water" Brondelle added dreamily, before pulling her sodden foreleg out, sloshing water from her fur. Faerien nodded, his tail draped over the edge of the pool.

"Dahlia" Peony began, it was time to talk seriously, as nice as the hot springs may be. "We can't sustain the clans here. The cave is perfect, it's beautiful, but think of the practicalities. What of food? We can't grow anything here, there's no sunlight in the caves and no moisture above ground. The soil up there looks stripped of all nutrients even if there was enough water for anything to grow. We can't even drink the only water here. And what of the mushroom ring? Faerien and Taffy are working hard to rebuild the Ethereal Court, and they need to grow a new ring. You can't expect them to grow a tiny one here, and be bound in this cave." She hung her head "I'm sorry Dahlia I know you were excited for this one but it just can't work."

Dahlia grinned at her. "That's where you come in."
Peony snorted softly "I appreciate your confidence in my abilities sister, but even I can't coax plants to grow with no water and no nutrients, despite all the sunshine. And I certainly can't grow them down here. Glowing fungus isn't the same as sunshine. Huge trees might reach the water with their taproots, but they'd never make it to adulthood."
"But you've hit the nail on the head yourself!" the younger coatl retorted, still smiling. "The soil up there is lacking water and nutrients. What is the one resource this place has in abundance? Water which is abnormally full of nutrients!"
Peony blinked at her sister. "I understand what you're suggesting, but it won't work. The water in these pools isn't enough to grow what we'd need. With no larger trees, no shade, the ground would dry out too fast. It would take the efforts of a whole clan to move the water around, and even though this looks like a lot of water, we'd drain it quickly. We can't destroy one resource to allow another." She looked at her sister in dismay. "What? Why are you still grinning like that? It won't work!"
Dahlia shook her head "Peony, you're only confirming my idea! Listen." She lifted her chin and fluffed out her wings, as she always did when about to give a lecture. But unlike usual, there was excitement in her voice. "This is where the water table is. No matter how much water we draw, our clan won't take but a drop from the underground supply. It's infinite, Peony, we just have to spread it around! Faerien, from what Taffy tells me, you two have some ability to manipulate life. Might you use it to help plants to grow better, or more quickly?"

Faerien inclined his head slowly with a slight smile, a cautiously optimistic gesture, before speaking in the odd, rhyming way of the Ethereal Court members.

"Faster growth we may induce,
for this I would be put to use.
Though magic will come rather slow,
until the Court can swell and grow.
If life to this land you can bring,
we can create a mushroom ring."

"Thank you Faerien." smiled Dahlia, before turning back to Peony "See sister? Everything is accounted for. You said it yourself, the cave is perfect for us. All we need is you. Nobody can grow plants like you, I know you can coax life into this barren piece of land. We could all work together, all three clans, to move the water and help you with everything. You'd be directing us all, and we could turn the land around this cave into an oasis."
"I do have a good stock of seed, although I'd need to gather a few species..." Peony mused, ideas and possibilities sparking to life. "If we establish grasses first to prevent soil erosion from all the water... And use the Court's magic to create a few large trees, they'd create shade and cool the air, and bring more water up by their taproots. With enough flowering species, insects will come to pollinate, then birds. What kind of species do grow in this region?"

Peony realized she was smiling too. For the first time since she'd lost Pansy, she felt excited for life. The fog that had hung over her hadn't entirely lifted, but she felt as though it was beginning to. Like her internal fire had been fanned back to life, and was thawing her after a long, sad winter. She looked around at the faces of her friends, and saw in their faces the same hope and excitement she felt.
"Let's do it!" she laughed, and the others cheered their agreement.
[center][b]Chapter 2: Migration[/b][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=5474009] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/54741/5474009_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Soon, the clans were abuzz with the news. Preparation began immediately, under the direction of the three clan leaders. The Ethereal court, still small in number, only Faerien and his mate taffy, and one new member, a nocturne named Loire, appeared not to have anything to bring, and silently assisted the other, larger clans. Most of Brondelle's Clan was packed to go already, having brought whatever could be salvaged from their old home with them to the Run. Packing up the Run was another matter entirely. Many items were taken to the trading post and sold. Dahlia flatly refused to cull her library even a little, and disappeared into it all week, emerging with hundreds of parcels of stacked books, carefully bound and cataloged. Peony spent the time collecting any seeds she may need, even sprouts and cuttings, and harvesting all the food she could, suspecting that feeding the clan may be difficult in the coming days. Hunting and gathering teams were organized by Brondelle to supply the clan in days to come. Neighboring clans also came to help, bringing much needed wagons and carts. Foxglove's old clan arrived in force, great Imperials helping to carry hatchlings, and those still recovering from their injuries swiftly to the new lair. When the time came at last for the clan to leave, they did so all together, setting off on foot and dragging their possessions with them. Peony stopped at the edge of the clearing to stare at their old home. It had come a long way from the tiny dirt burrow she had shared with the rabbits. It had grown into a large sprawling home filled with family and friends. A few rabbits were already peeking out of the entrance, wondering at the silence. Seeing her, the hopped over, and she knelt down to embrace them. "Goodbye, little friends." She felt warmth on either side. Her sisters had joined her, and the three knelt together for a moment, saying goodbye to their home. Camellia had been the first to find Peony, drawn together by an inseparable bond, and they had adopted each other as sisters. Dahlia had come later as an egg lost in the Labyrinth. Camellia and Peony had found her, drawn again to the dragon who was their sister in spirit if not blood. When Dahlia had hatched, Camellia at last felt complete, and the two had raised their youngest sister together. Peony hugged her sisters tightly, and they rose to leave. The rabbits were all watching them go, a silent guard of honor. The dozen or so who had come to Peony continued to follow them as they left. "Looks like your friends want to come to, Peony." Camellia said, with her usual haughty smile. "It wouldn't be the same without your bunnies." Dahlia added, gently picking one up and nuzzling the soft creature. Tearing up, Peony busied herself clearing space on the last wagon. She filled a large wooden crate with hay and lifted the rabbits into it, where they snuggled contentedly. And with that, they left. Three clans working together as one, making a new life for themselves in Dragonhome.
Chapter 2: Migration

Soon, the clans were abuzz with the news. Preparation began immediately, under the direction of the three clan leaders. The Ethereal court, still small in number, only Faerien and his mate taffy, and one new member, a nocturne named Loire, appeared not to have anything to bring, and silently assisted the other, larger clans. Most of Brondelle's Clan was packed to go already, having brought whatever could be salvaged from their old home with them to the Run. Packing up the Run was another matter entirely. Many items were taken to the trading post and sold. Dahlia flatly refused to cull her library even a little, and disappeared into it all week, emerging with hundreds of parcels of stacked books, carefully bound and cataloged.

Peony spent the time collecting any seeds she may need, even sprouts and cuttings, and harvesting all the food she could, suspecting that feeding the clan may be difficult in the coming days. Hunting and gathering teams were organized by Brondelle to supply the clan in days to come.
Neighboring clans also came to help, bringing much needed wagons and carts. Foxglove's old clan arrived in force, great Imperials helping to carry hatchlings, and those still recovering from their injuries swiftly to the new lair.
When the time came at last for the clan to leave, they did so all together, setting off on foot and dragging their possessions with them. Peony stopped at the edge of the clearing to stare at their old home. It had come a long way from the tiny dirt burrow she had shared with the rabbits. It had grown into a large sprawling home filled with family and friends. A few rabbits were already peeking out of the entrance, wondering at the silence. Seeing her, the hopped over, and she knelt down to embrace them. "Goodbye, little friends."

She felt warmth on either side. Her sisters had joined her, and the three knelt together for a moment, saying goodbye to their home. Camellia had been the first to find Peony, drawn together by an inseparable bond, and they had adopted each other as sisters. Dahlia had come later as an egg lost in the Labyrinth. Camellia and Peony had found her, drawn again to the dragon who was their sister in spirit if not blood. When Dahlia had hatched, Camellia at last felt complete, and the two had raised their youngest sister together. Peony hugged her sisters tightly, and they rose to leave. The rabbits were all watching them go, a silent guard of honor. The dozen or so who had come to Peony continued to follow them as they left.

"Looks like your friends want to come to, Peony." Camellia said, with her usual haughty smile.
"It wouldn't be the same without your bunnies." Dahlia added, gently picking one up and nuzzling the soft creature. Tearing up, Peony busied herself clearing space on the last wagon. She filled a large wooden crate with hay and lifted the rabbits into it, where they snuggled contentedly.
And with that, they left. Three clans working together as one, making a new life for themselves in Dragonhome.
[center][b]Chapter 3: The Mushroom Ring[/b] [/center] [center] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=4211276] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/42113/4211276_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] Hatchlings squealed as they raced around, spraying dust. It had been a few weeks since the clans moved to the new location, and most had acclimatized well to the dry heat. While the cool shady lushness of the Nature territory did have its appeal, many also realized there was enjoyment to be found in Dragonhome too, exploring the labyrinthine cave they had claimed as their own, or soaking up the bright sunshine. "Plumpkin! Off the grass for now please, it's still trying to establish itself!" called Peony absent-mindedly, not looking up from the packets of seeds she was sorting through. Made from dried, folded leaves, the small packages were the key to establishing life around the cave. If she could coax the ecosystem to a point where it could be at least a little self-sustaining, Faerien and Taffy should be able to start another mushroom ring, guaranteeing the clan's safety... "But Peeeeony!" whined Plumpkin, running over to her on stubby Snapper legs, followed as always by his friends "Genie did it too, and it's so soft!" "Then you're both naughty, and you both have to eat stinkbugs for dinner!" Peony teased, setting the seeds down with a smile. Awwberry gasped "Not stinkbugs!" she whispered, horrified. Her eyes were wide, even for a Spiral. "I like stinkbugs." Adaubergine stated calmly, cocking their head to the side and examining Peony. The hatchling was always calm, the classic monotonous Fae voice only adding to it. "But Punkin, we shall put yours in Peony's garden instead." A tiny fang broke through as they gave a brief, lopsided smile. Plumpkin giggled mischievously and Awwberry shook her head, always the good girl. "Now that really [i]would[/i] be naughty!" Peony told them "After how hard I've been working out here? I'd have to-" she fluffed up her crest and thrust out her wings... "Tickle you!" she roared, jumping forward to snatch up the squealing hatchlings. After a brief tussle, they lay puffed on the sprouting grass, still more dirt than greenery. Plumpkin, heavy little nugget that he was, lay on his back on the ground. Awwberry had tangled herself about Peony's neck like a scarf, and tiny Adaubergine sat on her outstretched claws. "I could have evaded you easily, you know." they were telling the Coatl "I just like tickles sometimes." Peony nodded her agreement "I'm sure you could have. You're very clever, little one. You're all wonderful in different ways." she added, when Plumpkin chimed in with assertions that he was clever too. A shadow fell across the group, and Peony rolled over slightly to see who it was. Faerien stood glistening and sparkling in the sunshine. "Is it ready?" Peony asked, hopefully. Faerien bowed his head in affirmation. "Alright. Time to let me up, you lot." she told the hatchlings, gently tossing Adaubergine into the air where they fluttered about. "Ohhh." said Awwberry sadly as Peony unwound her and set her on the ground. "Sorry darlings, I'll play with you later. Stay inside with the others for a while, please!" And with that, she set off beside Faerien. Faerien, leader of The Ethereal Court, let her to a patch of ground behind the wide crack that slashed through the earth that served as the entrance to their new home. A small circle of rocks had been placed there a few metres across, a barrier to keep trampling feet off the patch. Around the circle stood Faerien's mate Taffy, and their one clan member, a Nocturne named Loire. All three glistened prettily. Peony greeted the Court members and stood a little apart from them and the circle. They had discussed this moment at length over the many nights in the new cave. She had worked hard to make the land here fertile, and her efforts showed. This was clearly the greenest patch around. Small trees dotted here and there, by rights they should still be seedlings, but the Court members had helped them along, a draining process which they had halted earlier in the week to conserve energy for this, the beginning of a new mushroom ring. Peony had been invited to watch because of her passion for growing things, but she knew she couldn't participate. Although she had offered, there was nothing she could do. Peony was quite strong, having trained extensively in the use of magic and healing, but despite her love of Nature, she had been born to the Fire territory, and her magic, as all magic, was strongly elemental. She could twist that to use for healing, but using her magic to coax plants to grow just wouldn't work, the elements were too different. [i] "Eternal thanks to those who've come, Let us unite and get this done!" [/i] Faerien crooned in his strange, rhyming way. Taffy looked around them, before speaking up as well. [i]"My friends, this here is Peony, We've asked her to be here, to see. This is a time to be polite, Would you please come into her sight?"[/i] Peony blinked at her in confusion. She had known all three of them for months now! Before she could ask Taffy what she meant, the air about them shimmered slightly, as if from heat. The slight warping shimmer spread, brightening, becoming a glittering light. Peony squeezed her eyes shut, the brightness surrounded them and she could no longer stare at it. When she opened them, dozens of dragons surrounded them. Dragons of every breed, in strange combinations of colour. Some had similar colour schemes, and she wondered if they were from the same place. "Oh!" She exclaimed, surprised. "Uh, welcome!" A snort of laughter coincided with a blast of hot air on the back of her shoulder. She turned to find a huge, grinning Imperial standing surprisingly close, and blushed as she realized they'd been there all along, likely since before she'd arrived. Peony stepped back further, removing herself from the crowd, and gestured to Faerien to continue. The rosy coloured Coatl nodded and closed his eyes. After a moment he began to hum. Settling down to watch, Peony realized that the other dragons were shutting their eyes too, and many were beginning to hum as well, not the same tune as Faerien, but all their songs wove together to create a happy tune. She counted the dragons, there were twenty six in total, each breed being represented by a male and female. She couldn't tell with their eyes closed but she wondered whether every element was represented as well. The tune was picking up, with some dragons stamping their feet, slapping thighs or clicking claws against scales in time with the song. Peony couldn't help but smile, the song made her want to dance. The strange dragons moved more and more, bobbing heads or swaying. A female Spiral began to wind lithely in between dragons, a sinuous dance. A Fae followed her lead, twirling through the air in her wake, wings aflutter. Before long, all of them had joined the dance, forming a circle with the sectioned off patch in the center. The song increased in volume as well as enthusiasm, and the dance grew wilder and more boisterous. Peony was enthralled, watching each dragon in turn, all their different styles blending together into one swirling mass of bodies. Eventually, the music grew calmer and the dance wound down. Those who stopped kept up the song as the others slowed and stopped, before the song too, faded away. Peony looked around, wincing at her stiff neck. She realized with a start that the sun was setting. It had been before midday when they started! She got up stiffly and stretched from head to tail before hurrying over to the circle. The dragons were peering at the center. They parted to let her through, were she was met by the widely grinning faces of Faerien and Taffy. She smiled back, and peered within the circle of stones. There nestled a small clump of mushrooms. Long white stalks grew in slender bunches, each holding up a golden cap. Even as she watched, drips formed on the sides of some of the caps, bright and golden like liquid sunshine. Droplets fell to the ground and were absorbed immediately, as if the earth itself relished their elixir. "It worked." she breathed, and Faerien trilled in excitement beside her, the rest of the dragons joining them in a cheer so loud it seemed to shake her bones. The clans had a mushroom ring once more. Now all they had to do was protect it, and it would grow. When it did , everything within its bounds would be safe, protected by all the strength of the Court. Faerien spoke again as the cheer died down. [i]"Eternal thanks to all the clans, for joining with us in the dance. You gave us safety in our home, now we'll reclaim our rightful throne!"[/i] The collected dragons bowed to Faerien and Taffy, and Peony remembered what they had told her back in the days after the attack. Many dragons like Faerien and Taffy existed in the world, but very few lived in organized groups. Most moved place to place, enjoying the world or causing mischief as they pleased. These two, however, were royalty, of a kind. The rightful heirs to a group of sorts, although apparently the Court had dwindled and weakened over the last few centuries, as they had become complacent in the peaceful age. Faerien had hinted that other congregations existed, but they were few and far, and most kept to themselves, not interacting with the regular dragons of Sornieth. She wondered, not for the first time, just how high an authority her friends were. It was easy to forget, working alongside them each day. The dragons began to wink out of existence once more, and soon it was just the four of them again. Faerien and Taffy lay down right where they were, snuggling together on the grass in the darkening night, smiling contentedly at their mushrooms. Loire took up a similar position nearby, and Peony decided it was time to take her leave. Her step was light as she made her way into the cave, feeling as though everything was finally going right.
Chapter 3: The Mushroom Ring

Hatchlings squealed as they raced around, spraying dust. It had been a few weeks since the clans moved to the new location, and most had acclimatized well to the dry heat. While the cool shady lushness of the Nature territory did have its appeal, many also realized there was enjoyment to be found in Dragonhome too, exploring the labyrinthine cave they had claimed as their own, or soaking up the bright sunshine.

"Plumpkin! Off the grass for now please, it's still trying to establish itself!" called Peony absent-mindedly, not looking up from the packets of seeds she was sorting through. Made from dried, folded leaves, the small packages were the key to establishing life around the cave. If she could coax the ecosystem to a point where it could be at least a little self-sustaining, Faerien and Taffy should be able to start another mushroom ring, guaranteeing the clan's safety...

"But Peeeeony!" whined Plumpkin, running over to her on stubby Snapper legs, followed as always by his friends "Genie did it too, and it's so soft!"
"Then you're both naughty, and you both have to eat stinkbugs for dinner!" Peony teased, setting the seeds down with a smile.
Awwberry gasped "Not stinkbugs!" she whispered, horrified. Her eyes were wide, even for a Spiral.
"I like stinkbugs." Adaubergine stated calmly, cocking their head to the side and examining Peony. The hatchling was always calm, the classic monotonous Fae voice only adding to it. "But Punkin, we shall put yours in Peony's garden instead." A tiny fang broke through as they gave a brief, lopsided smile. Plumpkin giggled mischievously and Awwberry shook her head, always the good girl.
"Now that really would be naughty!" Peony told them "After how hard I've been working out here? I'd have to-" she fluffed up her crest and thrust out her wings...
"Tickle you!" she roared, jumping forward to snatch up the squealing hatchlings.

After a brief tussle, they lay puffed on the sprouting grass, still more dirt than greenery.
Plumpkin, heavy little nugget that he was, lay on his back on the ground. Awwberry had tangled herself about Peony's neck like a scarf, and tiny Adaubergine sat on her outstretched claws.
"I could have evaded you easily, you know." they were telling the Coatl "I just like tickles sometimes."
Peony nodded her agreement "I'm sure you could have. You're very clever, little one. You're all wonderful in different ways." she added, when Plumpkin chimed in with assertions that he was clever too.

A shadow fell across the group, and Peony rolled over slightly to see who it was. Faerien stood glistening and sparkling in the sunshine.
"Is it ready?" Peony asked, hopefully. Faerien bowed his head in affirmation. "Alright. Time to let me up, you lot." she told the hatchlings, gently tossing Adaubergine into the air where they fluttered about.
"Ohhh." said Awwberry sadly as Peony unwound her and set her on the ground.
"Sorry darlings, I'll play with you later. Stay inside with the others for a while, please!" And with that, she set off beside Faerien.

Faerien, leader of The Ethereal Court, let her to a patch of ground behind the wide crack that slashed through the earth that served as the entrance to their new home. A small circle of rocks had been placed there a few metres across, a barrier to keep trampling feet off the patch. Around the circle stood Faerien's mate Taffy, and their one clan member, a Nocturne named Loire. All three glistened prettily.

Peony greeted the Court members and stood a little apart from them and the circle. They had discussed this moment at length over the many nights in the new cave. She had worked hard to make the land here fertile, and her efforts showed. This was clearly the greenest patch around. Small trees dotted here and there, by rights they should still be seedlings, but the Court members had helped them along, a draining process which they had halted earlier in the week to conserve energy for this, the beginning of a new mushroom ring. Peony had been invited to watch because of her passion for growing things, but she knew she couldn't participate. Although she had offered, there was nothing she could do. Peony was quite strong, having trained extensively in the use of magic and healing, but despite her love of Nature, she had been born to the Fire territory, and her magic, as all magic, was strongly elemental. She could twist that to use for healing, but using her magic to coax plants to grow just wouldn't work, the elements were too different.

"Eternal thanks to those who've come,
Let us unite and get this done!"

Faerien crooned in his strange, rhyming way. Taffy looked around them, before speaking up as well.

"My friends, this here is Peony,
We've asked her to be here, to see.
This is a time to be polite,
Would you please come into her sight?"

Peony blinked at her in confusion. She had known all three of them for months now! Before she could ask Taffy what she meant, the air about them shimmered slightly, as if from heat. The slight warping shimmer spread, brightening, becoming a glittering light. Peony squeezed her eyes shut, the brightness surrounded them and she could no longer stare at it. When she opened them, dozens of dragons surrounded them. Dragons of every breed, in strange combinations of colour. Some had similar colour schemes, and she wondered if they were from the same place.

"Oh!" She exclaimed, surprised. "Uh, welcome!" A snort of laughter coincided with a blast of hot air on the back of her shoulder. She turned to find a huge, grinning Imperial standing surprisingly close, and blushed as she realized they'd been there all along, likely since before she'd arrived.
Peony stepped back further, removing herself from the crowd, and gestured to Faerien to continue.

The rosy coloured Coatl nodded and closed his eyes. After a moment he began to hum. Settling down to watch, Peony realized that the other dragons were shutting their eyes too, and many were beginning to hum as well, not the same tune as Faerien, but all their songs wove together to create a happy tune. She counted the dragons, there were twenty six in total, each breed being represented by a male and female. She couldn't tell with their eyes closed but she wondered whether every element was represented as well.
The tune was picking up, with some dragons stamping their feet, slapping thighs or clicking claws against scales in time with the song. Peony couldn't help but smile, the song made her want to dance. The strange dragons moved more and more, bobbing heads or swaying. A female Spiral began to wind lithely in between dragons, a sinuous dance. A Fae followed her lead, twirling through the air in her wake, wings aflutter. Before long, all of them had joined the dance, forming a circle with the sectioned off patch in the center. The song increased in volume as well as enthusiasm, and the dance grew wilder and more boisterous. Peony was enthralled, watching each dragon in turn, all their different styles blending together into one swirling mass of bodies.

Eventually, the music grew calmer and the dance wound down. Those who stopped kept up the song as the others slowed and stopped, before the song too, faded away. Peony looked around, wincing at her stiff neck. She realized with a start that the sun was setting. It had been before midday when they started!
She got up stiffly and stretched from head to tail before hurrying over to the circle. The dragons were peering at the center. They parted to let her through, were she was met by the widely grinning faces of Faerien and Taffy. She smiled back, and peered within the circle of stones.

There nestled a small clump of mushrooms. Long white stalks grew in slender bunches, each holding up a golden cap. Even as she watched, drips formed on the sides of some of the caps, bright and golden like liquid sunshine. Droplets fell to the ground and were absorbed immediately, as if the earth itself relished their elixir.

"It worked." she breathed, and Faerien trilled in excitement beside her, the rest of the dragons joining them in a cheer so loud it seemed to shake her bones.
The clans had a mushroom ring once more. Now all they had to do was protect it, and it would grow. When it did , everything within its bounds would be safe, protected by all the strength of the Court.
Faerien spoke again as the cheer died down.

"Eternal thanks to all the clans,
for joining with us in the dance.
You gave us safety in our home,
now we'll reclaim our rightful throne!"

The collected dragons bowed to Faerien and Taffy, and Peony remembered what they had told her back in the days after the attack. Many dragons like Faerien and Taffy existed in the world, but very few lived in organized groups. Most moved place to place, enjoying the world or causing mischief as they pleased. These two, however, were royalty, of a kind. The rightful heirs to a group of sorts, although apparently the Court had dwindled and weakened over the last few centuries, as they had become complacent in the peaceful age. Faerien had hinted that other congregations existed, but they were few and far, and most kept to themselves, not interacting with the regular dragons of Sornieth. She wondered, not for the first time, just how high an authority her friends were. It was easy to forget, working alongside them each day.

The dragons began to wink out of existence once more, and soon it was just the four of them again. Faerien and Taffy lay down right where they were, snuggling together on the grass in the darkening night, smiling contentedly at their mushrooms. Loire took up a similar position nearby, and Peony decided it was time to take her leave.
Her step was light as she made her way into the cave, feeling as though everything was finally going right.
@BunnyKey You should start a pinglist, and I want in!

Are you gonna write your lore in a timeline or like little drabbles in different times, by the way? Because I'd reeeeally like for you to write about Moss and her angst

- How did the tiny hatchlings (so cute!) get to the clan?
- How is Pansy doing having amnesia? :D
- How is everyone doing after the shadepocalypse?
- How is Moss coping with it?
- How did The Ethereal Court end up with the sisters?
- How does the bond between the Coatl sisters work?

Omg yes, yes ping me with every update!

Ps: ignore the Moss parts, really.
@BunnyKey You should start a pinglist, and I want in!

Are you gonna write your lore in a timeline or like little drabbles in different times, by the way? Because I'd reeeeally like for you to write about Moss and her angst

- How did the tiny hatchlings (so cute!) get to the clan?
- How is Pansy doing having amnesia? :D
- How is everyone doing after the shadepocalypse?
- How is Moss coping with it?
- How did The Ethereal Court end up with the sisters?
- How does the bond between the Coatl sisters work?

Omg yes, yes ping me with every update!

Ps: ignore the Moss parts, really.
@BunnyKey I agree with @surfingpikachu. This is a lovely story, and I'd really love to read more about all the different characters and their new lives! Please add me to the pinglist should you ever choose to make one!
@BunnyKey I agree with @surfingpikachu. This is a lovely story, and I'd really love to read more about all the different characters and their new lives! Please add me to the pinglist should you ever choose to make one!
Na5WGHa.png
@bunnykei friendly bump? :)
@bunnykei friendly bump? :)
@surfingpikachu @tigressrising ahhhh I only just noticed these pings! (probably because it's bunnykei, not bunnyKEY, close though haha!)

I never really expected anyone to be interested, but I'll make a little pinglist, ty! <3

Surfingpikachu: I'm totally gonna write about some of those!
I can't speak much for Moss, as much as I love her, she's your baby now, but I'll definitely speak of her from Peony's view!
I can't wait to write more about the hatchlings. (The next hatchling I want to work on is a Cutecumber I'm so excited)
I can't say much for Pansy either, he lives in a different lair now, but from what I hear he has no memories of his past life and is a happy, normal dragon!
I'll certainly write more about the "shadepocalypse" (LMAO love it) fallout, basically, most of the clan is ok, Peony is slowly gettig over losing her mate, Brondelle has flat out PTSD and isn't so great but she's managing. Eucalyptus is very slowly recovering, he still gets some headaches but he's mostly ok.
The rest, I'm super keen to write about, thank you!
@surfingpikachu @tigressrising ahhhh I only just noticed these pings! (probably because it's bunnykei, not bunnyKEY, close though haha!)

I never really expected anyone to be interested, but I'll make a little pinglist, ty! <3

Surfingpikachu: I'm totally gonna write about some of those!
I can't speak much for Moss, as much as I love her, she's your baby now, but I'll definitely speak of her from Peony's view!
I can't wait to write more about the hatchlings. (The next hatchling I want to work on is a Cutecumber I'm so excited)
I can't say much for Pansy either, he lives in a different lair now, but from what I hear he has no memories of his past life and is a happy, normal dragon!
I'll certainly write more about the "shadepocalypse" (LMAO love it) fallout, basically, most of the clan is ok, Peony is slowly gettig over losing her mate, Brondelle has flat out PTSD and isn't so great but she's managing. Eucalyptus is very slowly recovering, he still gets some headaches but he's mostly ok.
The rest, I'm super keen to write about, thank you!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7