Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | Dragon Ancestry Inconsistencies
I have a very convoluted, confusing breeding project, and I have been discovering that the system that checks if dragons are related has been... extremely inconsistent, at best.
Here is the family tree: CLICK ME!
The first 4 are unrelated to each other, and also unrelated to any of the coloured names. (Static and Xenon share a colour, as they are brothers.)
At some point, I realized Snap was far enough from the first 4 that she is no longer related to them. I have thus bred her to Theresa, and their children are not affected by the infertility bug. WHEW. Here's one of the perfectly normal, not inbred babies, so you can see for yourself.

So next I figured, hey, Uzume's kids might also not be related, due to also being F4. I checked his lineage, looking further back than the first 4 to compare distances. The theory was that Uzume would be unrelated to the first 4's parents if Snap was unrelated to the first 4. That theory was half-correct: Click.
Well, that's weird.

I get Uzume's babies back, and they... are related to the first 4, unlike Snap. (For a comparison.)

I decided to look further into the issue, and have discovered this much:
Dragons will be related to the grandparents of their grandmothers on both sides, but not to the grandparents on their grandfather's sides. If there's a G1 any earlier than those great-great-grandparents, it throws a wrench in things and I haven't figured out the pattern of inconsistency with that yet.
Example One (Uzume)
Example Two (Snap)
Example Three

Would love to have this inconsistency fixed. (Either all great-great grandparents are unrelated, or all related.) It's driving me up the wall with my attempts at careful planning being ruined by the whole "some dragons are related, but some aren't" thing.

Dragons: Uzume, Snap
I have a very convoluted, confusing breeding project, and I have been discovering that the system that checks if dragons are related has been... extremely inconsistent, at best.
Here is the family tree: CLICK ME!
The first 4 are unrelated to each other, and also unrelated to any of the coloured names. (Static and Xenon share a colour, as they are brothers.)
At some point, I realized Snap was far enough from the first 4 that she is no longer related to them. I have thus bred her to Theresa, and their children are not affected by the infertility bug. WHEW. Here's one of the perfectly normal, not inbred babies, so you can see for yourself.

So next I figured, hey, Uzume's kids might also not be related, due to also being F4. I checked his lineage, looking further back than the first 4 to compare distances. The theory was that Uzume would be unrelated to the first 4's parents if Snap was unrelated to the first 4. That theory was half-correct: Click.
Well, that's weird.

I get Uzume's babies back, and they... are related to the first 4, unlike Snap. (For a comparison.)

I decided to look further into the issue, and have discovered this much:
Dragons will be related to the grandparents of their grandmothers on both sides, but not to the grandparents on their grandfather's sides. If there's a G1 any earlier than those great-great-grandparents, it throws a wrench in things and I haven't figured out the pattern of inconsistency with that yet.
Example One (Uzume)
Example Two (Snap)
Example Three

Would love to have this inconsistency fixed. (Either all great-great grandparents are unrelated, or all related.) It's driving me up the wall with my attempts at careful planning being ruined by the whole "some dragons are related, but some aren't" thing.

Dragons: Uzume, Snap
l6nCFA8.png
@Ganondorf Thank you for the very detailed bug report! I appreciate the amount of effort you went into to investigate.

We are aware of this issue, as it relates to the infertility bug you mentioned. While we have complete and correct genealogical data for every dragon, the way it is specially stored and consulted for the purpose of inbreeding checks has some issues that you may run into on large multi-generational projects.

This is something we are planning on fixing, but as it centrally affects breeding it will require a large amount of thought, testing, and community communication to accomplish. Depending on the exact final fix, some dragon pairs that could breed before the fix might no longer be able to breed, or vice versa. That is not something we would do without a lot of thought and warning to the community leading up to the actual change, as you can imagine!

Again, thanks for your report -- we are aiming to fix this, but it will take some time!
@Ganondorf Thank you for the very detailed bug report! I appreciate the amount of effort you went into to investigate.

We are aware of this issue, as it relates to the infertility bug you mentioned. While we have complete and correct genealogical data for every dragon, the way it is specially stored and consulted for the purpose of inbreeding checks has some issues that you may run into on large multi-generational projects.

This is something we are planning on fixing, but as it centrally affects breeding it will require a large amount of thought, testing, and community communication to accomplish. Depending on the exact final fix, some dragon pairs that could breed before the fix might no longer be able to breed, or vice versa. That is not something we would do without a lot of thought and warning to the community leading up to the actual change, as you can imagine!

Again, thanks for your report -- we are aiming to fix this, but it will take some time!
Flight Rising Engineering Team

Flight Rising Knowledge Base
Flight Rising Rules & Policies
[quote name="Mutron" date=2016-10-19 09:20:53] @Ganondorf Thank you for the very detailed bug report! I appreciate the amount of effort you went into to investigate. We are aware of this issue, as it relates to the infertility bug you mentioned. While we have complete and correct genealogical data for every dragon, the way it is specially stored and consulted for the purpose of inbreeding checks has some issues that you may run into on large multi-generational projects. This is something we are planning on fixing, but as it centrally affects breeding it will require a large amount of thought, testing, and community communication to accomplish. Depending on the exact final fix, some dragon pairs that could breed before the fix might no longer be able to breed, or vice versa. That is not something we would do without a lot of thought and warning to the community leading up to the actual change, as you can imagine! Again, thanks for your report -- we are aiming to fix this, but it will take some time! [/quote] So good to hear you are working on this. When I first saw an unbreedable bugged dragon I became a bit fearful that I would and up with one. Good luck with finding a working solution! I can only imagine how hard that must be.
Mutron wrote on 2016-10-19:

So good to hear you are working on this. When I first saw an unbreedable bugged dragon I became a bit fearful that I would and up with one.

Good luck with finding a working solution! I can only imagine how hard that must be.
Thank you for the reply! I figured this is probably something much bigger than the average typo, and much more difficult to fix. xD
Thank you for the reply! I figured this is probably something much bigger than the average typo, and much more difficult to fix. xD
l6nCFA8.png
@Ganondorf @Mutron There's a mistake with the original post. [quote]Dragons will be related to the grandparents of their grandmothers on both sides, but not to the grandparents on their grandfather's sides.[/quote] However, when looking at the [url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102284204/FlightRising/SnapUzumekidComparison.png]Snap/Uzume's Kid comparison[/url], it is clearly shown that Snap is related to the original four through a grandfather, whereas Uzume's kids are related through a grandmother, as such: Uzume's Kid - Uzume - Athena - Knife - Holly (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Athena as grandmother) Snap - Realm -Anthrus - Knife - Holly (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Anthrus as grandfather) Through my own testing I can confirm that dragons will be related to the grandparents of their [b]grandfathers[/b] on both sides. [u]For example, using my Snapper Jadzia and the descents of some of her 5th gen ancestors:[/u] Jadzia (27842603) - Padarn - Bluepearl - BloodRose - Fyre (8852880) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Bluepearl as grandfather) Kerowyn (26633532) - Horia - Siadina - BloodRose - Fyre (8852880) cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor Siadina as grandmother) [u]Here's another example, using [url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102284204/FlightRising/WhyUzumeWhy.png]the Uzume family tree[/url]:[/u] Uzume (26872027) - Athena - Knife - Holly - Orlaith (16096590) (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Knife as grandmother) Uzume (26872027) - Athena - Wealthy - Oskar - Vorona (11600603) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Wealthy as grandfather) [u]And for an entirely unrelated dragon from my lair as my final point:[/u] Arkoza (22511747) - Morgan - Balmoral - Harvest - Iyzebel (3652383) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Balmoral as grandfather) Arkoza (22511747) - Morgan - Meigle - Amaria - Rox (7405162) (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Meigle as grandmother) This is something you can replicate with any dragon that has a bloodline of at least 5 generations or more. As according to the encyclopedia page on breeding, being able to breed with any great-great grandparents (ie a dragon and a 5th gen ancestor) prolly shouldn't be happening? Also, note that only one reported case of infertile dragons in the hub thread has come from breeding descendants [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/bug/1173608#post_5943088]of the same 5th generation dragon[/url]. Technically, Theresa and Snap could've made another line of infertile dragons, as both were related to the same ancestor (Holly or Prurath, in this case) within 5 generations. I guess we're lucky it didn't, this time. Hope this helps clarify things a lil!
@Ganondorf @Mutron There's a mistake with the original post.
Quote:
Dragons will be related to the grandparents of their grandmothers on both sides, but not to the grandparents on their grandfather's sides.

However, when looking at the Snap/Uzume's Kid comparison, it is clearly shown that Snap is related to the original four through a grandfather, whereas Uzume's kids are related through a grandmother, as such:

Uzume's Kid - Uzume - Athena - Knife - Holly (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Athena as grandmother)
Snap - Realm -Anthrus - Knife - Holly (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Anthrus as grandfather)

Through my own testing I can confirm that dragons will be related to the grandparents of their grandfathers on both sides. For example, using my Snapper Jadzia and the descents of some of her 5th gen ancestors:

Jadzia (27842603) - Padarn - Bluepearl - BloodRose - Fyre (8852880) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Bluepearl as grandfather)
Kerowyn (26633532) - Horia - Siadina - BloodRose - Fyre (8852880) cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor Siadina as grandmother)

Here's another example, using the Uzume family tree:

Uzume (26872027) - Athena - Knife - Holly - Orlaith (16096590) (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Knife as grandmother)
Uzume (26872027) - Athena - Wealthy - Oskar - Vorona (11600603) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Wealthy as grandfather)

And for an entirely unrelated dragon from my lair as my final point:

Arkoza (22511747) - Morgan - Balmoral - Harvest - Iyzebel (3652383) (can breed with 5th gen ancestor, Balmoral as grandfather)
Arkoza (22511747) - Morgan - Meigle - Amaria - Rox (7405162) (cannot breed with 5th gen ancestor, Meigle as grandmother)

This is something you can replicate with any dragon that has a bloodline of at least 5 generations or more. As according to the encyclopedia page on breeding, being able to breed with any great-great grandparents (ie a dragon and a 5th gen ancestor) prolly shouldn't be happening?

Also, note that only one reported case of infertile dragons in the hub thread has come from breeding descendants of the same 5th generation dragon. Technically, Theresa and Snap could've made another line of infertile dragons, as both were related to the same ancestor (Holly or Prurath, in this case) within 5 generations. I guess we're lucky it didn't, this time.

Hope this helps clarify things a lil!
Dom-Shop-Link.png?rlkey=ts1tscej29cs0kt4g6wt9c37d&dl=0.png 1428_150px_istoki_by_miirshroom-dbzlzj5.png Lore-Thread-Link.png?rlkey=clnaiehtq32jzyvwmgq07ek0n&dl=0.png