Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | A Pirate Walks into a Bar-
1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40
@Stryder, @ButterflyFallacy, @Chaindrive

All I was catching was a glimpse, no matter how fast I was, I just could not snag a gene before the stock was gone.

So I'd really like to see something implemented to give all users a better chance to catch the gene. I mean even if the limit is just for the first few days, it should still make some difference, because even those that buy to resell for double/triple, could only do it twice for each gene for that certain amount of time.

Some might be for it, but those that make their profit from the reselling of genes for double/triple, are going to be against it.

I have 2 bar now, And I got those thanks to a Sniper who helped me out, just looking to get Daub. I'll be broke after this, I regret nothing c:
@Stryder, @ButterflyFallacy, @Chaindrive

All I was catching was a glimpse, no matter how fast I was, I just could not snag a gene before the stock was gone.

So I'd really like to see something implemented to give all users a better chance to catch the gene. I mean even if the limit is just for the first few days, it should still make some difference, because even those that buy to resell for double/triple, could only do it twice for each gene for that certain amount of time.

Some might be for it, but those that make their profit from the reselling of genes for double/triple, are going to be against it.

I have 2 bar now, And I got those thanks to a Sniper who helped me out, just looking to get Daub. I'll be broke after this, I regret nothing c:
Returning to FR after a long hiatus
yes. now I may have my chocolate barsssssssssssssssss
yes. now I may have my chocolate barsssssssssssssssss
rm75Mos.pngLnJHI9M.pngc0Toaoa.png
Why is the pirate stuff only going to be available for three days? There's no way I'll be able to save up the gems for that in time. :c

Excited for the pants and shirts though! I know it'll be a month or so before I can get myself a bar or daub (yay slow internet) but it's still fun to mess around in the scrying workshop with 'em.
Why is the pirate stuff only going to be available for three days? There's no way I'll be able to save up the gems for that in time. :c

Excited for the pants and shirts though! I know it'll be a month or so before I can get myself a bar or daub (yay slow internet) but it's still fun to mess around in the scrying workshop with 'em.
clocking in for my shift at the not making sense factory
YARRR! I'm happy Corsair gear is back. Not so happy for the short time, alas... *drowns in grog* :')

Bar and Daub, not super thrilled with... but can't please everyone I guess, lol.
*wants ghost!*
YARRR! I'm happy Corsair gear is back. Not so happy for the short time, alas... *drowns in grog* :')

Bar and Daub, not super thrilled with... but can't please everyone I guess, lol.
*wants ghost!*
neutralvs1.pngWVTSPY.pngneutralvs1.png
@Pande28: Eventhough one individual, like you or me, haven't been able to snatch up the gene yet, the overall effect is very very large. Bar and Daub have only been released for less than 24 hours and they are in the AH with only a ~30k mark-up! Which is quite affordable! c: Just imagine what the prices will be like in two or three days! c:
@Pande28: Eventhough one individual, like you or me, haven't been able to snatch up the gene yet, the overall effect is very very large. Bar and Daub have only been released for less than 24 hours and they are in the AH with only a ~30k mark-up! Which is quite affordable! c: Just imagine what the prices will be like in two or three days! c:
THE CORSAIR STUFF IS BACK IMMA CRY

I can now prettify my Hook dragon ;w;
THE CORSAIR STUFF IS BACK IMMA CRY

I can now prettify my Hook dragon ;w;
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=5282934] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/52830/5282934_350.png[/img] [/url] AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH No, but seriously. Not getting any more of these until Starfall so I can get discounts.

5282934_350.png

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

No, but seriously. Not getting any more of these until Starfall so I can get discounts.
splat.gif
Huh, maybe tripling supply did help then. If only because the snipers now have more genes than they should, are trying to all sell them at the same time, and are apparently undercutting each other.... Seven pages of daub, wow.

@Artoni: Thanks for your reply. To wit, no, I'm not just talking about users with lower end computers, I mean everyone who doesn't fit the profile of "both able and willing to stalk the site for hours and do the frankly not very fun things that it takes to actually earn enough money in the game to make it fun'. Fun in terms of making enough quickly enough that buying a dragon some apparel or upgrading it with genes, new or old, won't take forever. Fun in terms of being able to enjoy the dragon customisation aspect, because the dragon breeding aspect sure as hell isn't rewarding anymore, because every nest means you have to either exalt your hatchlings or spend increasingly high sums on a lair expansion.

To clarify: One of the reasons it's made such a difference so far if you have a lot of treasure at any one time is the potential, come release day, to snag the new items and resell them for higher, making a very hefty profit. If you have a million and snag three or four genes and resell them for triple, you now have a very impressive sum to leisurely use for anything you want until the next release, and the hatchlings will keep the cash coming in for a while.

The thing is, the users who make money this way tend to have been in this loop for a while - some of them since the very release of the game, when Imperials still cost a fortune. If you're not yet rich enough where you can do that, the only way to become rich enough is to save up and don't spend your treasure on anything, and saving up one million can take months. If a game requires you to dumbly grind for treasure and use none of its features that cost treasure before you're even able to have a proper income, that's a problem. Additionally, as I keep saying, there can be other obstacles to this lifestlye, such as health, internet speed, or having less free time to spend on an online game.

I'm in the latter category. I don't have a "lower end computer", my specs and my connection speed are enough for me on every other website. I play Flash games on other sites with no problem. For whatever reason, in the Coli I typically get connection issues or every animation takes 5-7 seconds to complete and is laggy and stuttery, making the game frustrating and tedious. I do, I admit, have a pretty low threshold for how much tediousness I'm willing to put up with in an online *game*. Should I be rewarded the same as someone who grinds Runecards till they reach the treasure cap? Of course not. Should there be other ways for me to earn treasure and enjoy the game and its features that don't boil down to "spend hours on this repetitive glitchy Flash game" or "earn pennies doing other things and save up for a treat every blue moon"? Yes, there should be.

I think your point regarding the economy, however, is very interesting because it shows just how accepting we are of things we've been conditioned to accept as normal. The sheer... resignation, fatalism, almost, that I keep seeing in this thread in some form of "new genes, nice, but I wont' see them for months... that's life for ya, I guess". An economy is influenced strongly by the specific rules it has. Some economies outright outlaw the stock trade (which is what this is), on the grounds that stock traders produce no goods or services in exchange for the money they earn. Some economies have higher taxes for the rich. Whether you agree with these things or not, it doesn't change the fact that you can't chalk a certain economical situation in a game up to "that's just how economies are", it is not a given.

So yeah, it really isn't about lower-end computers or expecting to get the same perks despite not having a modern one. I'm not even part of the group with that problem. This is more about "FR is made in such a way that you have to be either in the millonaire league or spend hours on repetitive point and click games each day to make enough profit to use the extremely, extremely pricey like genes or expand your lair enough to get more dragons, and through this, they're shutting out a lot of players who don't fit a very specific category."

There have been a lot of ideas on how things might be fundamentally improved and all of them have their supporters and naysayers: higher and tiered exalting rewards, dragons dying, dragons becoming infertile, higher coli and faire payouts, et cetera et cetera. Point is, there are options. What's disappointing is that nothing is being done, and the developers, when they spoke, usually took the stance that there is nothing wrong with the economy and that breeding was never supposed to be the focus of the game anyway (despite the Site Overview page of FR suggestingjust that). And it's the insistence that everything is fine, if anything, that's frustrating and a little baffling, especially now that several registration windows have come and gone and there are again as few as 1062 users online right now during US nighttime.

Anyway, this has gotten way too long so I'll probably stop replying with this on this announcement thread, especially since I'm not saying anything not said in the economy threads over and over. If anyone wants to continue the discussion in private, they're welcome to message me.
Huh, maybe tripling supply did help then. If only because the snipers now have more genes than they should, are trying to all sell them at the same time, and are apparently undercutting each other.... Seven pages of daub, wow.

@Artoni: Thanks for your reply. To wit, no, I'm not just talking about users with lower end computers, I mean everyone who doesn't fit the profile of "both able and willing to stalk the site for hours and do the frankly not very fun things that it takes to actually earn enough money in the game to make it fun'. Fun in terms of making enough quickly enough that buying a dragon some apparel or upgrading it with genes, new or old, won't take forever. Fun in terms of being able to enjoy the dragon customisation aspect, because the dragon breeding aspect sure as hell isn't rewarding anymore, because every nest means you have to either exalt your hatchlings or spend increasingly high sums on a lair expansion.

To clarify: One of the reasons it's made such a difference so far if you have a lot of treasure at any one time is the potential, come release day, to snag the new items and resell them for higher, making a very hefty profit. If you have a million and snag three or four genes and resell them for triple, you now have a very impressive sum to leisurely use for anything you want until the next release, and the hatchlings will keep the cash coming in for a while.

The thing is, the users who make money this way tend to have been in this loop for a while - some of them since the very release of the game, when Imperials still cost a fortune. If you're not yet rich enough where you can do that, the only way to become rich enough is to save up and don't spend your treasure on anything, and saving up one million can take months. If a game requires you to dumbly grind for treasure and use none of its features that cost treasure before you're even able to have a proper income, that's a problem. Additionally, as I keep saying, there can be other obstacles to this lifestlye, such as health, internet speed, or having less free time to spend on an online game.

I'm in the latter category. I don't have a "lower end computer", my specs and my connection speed are enough for me on every other website. I play Flash games on other sites with no problem. For whatever reason, in the Coli I typically get connection issues or every animation takes 5-7 seconds to complete and is laggy and stuttery, making the game frustrating and tedious. I do, I admit, have a pretty low threshold for how much tediousness I'm willing to put up with in an online *game*. Should I be rewarded the same as someone who grinds Runecards till they reach the treasure cap? Of course not. Should there be other ways for me to earn treasure and enjoy the game and its features that don't boil down to "spend hours on this repetitive glitchy Flash game" or "earn pennies doing other things and save up for a treat every blue moon"? Yes, there should be.

I think your point regarding the economy, however, is very interesting because it shows just how accepting we are of things we've been conditioned to accept as normal. The sheer... resignation, fatalism, almost, that I keep seeing in this thread in some form of "new genes, nice, but I wont' see them for months... that's life for ya, I guess". An economy is influenced strongly by the specific rules it has. Some economies outright outlaw the stock trade (which is what this is), on the grounds that stock traders produce no goods or services in exchange for the money they earn. Some economies have higher taxes for the rich. Whether you agree with these things or not, it doesn't change the fact that you can't chalk a certain economical situation in a game up to "that's just how economies are", it is not a given.

So yeah, it really isn't about lower-end computers or expecting to get the same perks despite not having a modern one. I'm not even part of the group with that problem. This is more about "FR is made in such a way that you have to be either in the millonaire league or spend hours on repetitive point and click games each day to make enough profit to use the extremely, extremely pricey like genes or expand your lair enough to get more dragons, and through this, they're shutting out a lot of players who don't fit a very specific category."

There have been a lot of ideas on how things might be fundamentally improved and all of them have their supporters and naysayers: higher and tiered exalting rewards, dragons dying, dragons becoming infertile, higher coli and faire payouts, et cetera et cetera. Point is, there are options. What's disappointing is that nothing is being done, and the developers, when they spoke, usually took the stance that there is nothing wrong with the economy and that breeding was never supposed to be the focus of the game anyway (despite the Site Overview page of FR suggestingjust that). And it's the insistence that everything is fine, if anything, that's frustrating and a little baffling, especially now that several registration windows have come and gone and there are again as few as 1062 users online right now during US nighttime.

Anyway, this has gotten way too long so I'll probably stop replying with this on this announcement thread, especially since I'm not saying anything not said in the economy threads over and over. If anyone wants to continue the discussion in private, they're welcome to message me.
akSqI.gif DXtYy.gif lDUIA.gif sNACO.gif
At this current moment the cheapest Daub in the AH is 172k
That's less than 10k over the MP price.

The cheapest Bar is about 265k. That's 15k over the MP price.

Most of the sniping you're finding right now is people buying it for themselves or others, or those okay with making minimal profit. I suspect the AH price will continue to drop, and in a day or two it'll be as easy to find in the MP as Ripple and Current.

The tripling HAS helped, and personally I don't see a need to complain at this point. The gene isn't going anywhere, and I'm okay waiting a day or two for a new gene, even if it means a breeding pair has to wait to breed.
At this current moment the cheapest Daub in the AH is 172k
That's less than 10k over the MP price.

The cheapest Bar is about 265k. That's 15k over the MP price.

Most of the sniping you're finding right now is people buying it for themselves or others, or those okay with making minimal profit. I suspect the AH price will continue to drop, and in a day or two it'll be as easy to find in the MP as Ripple and Current.

The tripling HAS helped, and personally I don't see a need to complain at this point. The gene isn't going anywhere, and I'm okay waiting a day or two for a new gene, even if it means a breeding pair has to wait to breed.
hFZSb6U.png MUYNhfy.png
fX0bVgZ.png
08G086a.png
tqGkHih.png
J7D1quC.png
ysD8zNU.png
You may have taken the lead, but I'll even the score.
You won the battle, you won't win the war.
Not now, and
Nevermore.
@Rythen,

The tripling has helped make the gene more accessible to everyone else at MP prices, yes. How it affects other things in the long term remains to be seen.The site has other problems, however, that go beyond the restocking issues, so yes, pardon me if I dont' think one small fix means there's suddenly "nothing to complain about".

LIke I said, though, I won't be continuing this discussion in this thread anymore.
@Rythen,

The tripling has helped make the gene more accessible to everyone else at MP prices, yes. How it affects other things in the long term remains to be seen.The site has other problems, however, that go beyond the restocking issues, so yes, pardon me if I dont' think one small fix means there's suddenly "nothing to complain about".

LIke I said, though, I won't be continuing this discussion in this thread anymore.
akSqI.gif DXtYy.gif lDUIA.gif sNACO.gif
1 2 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40