Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [MAP][ART] The Behemoth IS the Labyrinth
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
as a plague member, I'M SO INVESTED

[ scuttles away to look at potential subspecies concepts ]
as a plague member, I'M SO INVESTED

[ scuttles away to look at potential subspecies concepts ]
sh5xjiu.png
0XHtpWy.png
kI850Ts.png
HJLIYn4.png
mlHpBMC.png
32095602p.png
Do you think those smaller trees are connected to the Behemoth, like a clonal organism? (Think Pando, but bigger.)
Do you think those smaller trees are connected to the Behemoth, like a clonal organism? (Think Pando, but bigger.)
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png84977690.png
AUGHH thisbis so cool!! my fave part about nature lore is how destructive it can be and i absolutely LOVE the idea of underground roots that expand slowly overtaking the continent in secret (also the visuals you made are absolutely breathtaking)
AUGHH thisbis so cool!! my fave part about nature lore is how destructive it can be and i absolutely LOVE the idea of underground roots that expand slowly overtaking the continent in secret (also the visuals you made are absolutely breathtaking)
she doesnt even know
basic math--->
XSQWCA5.gif 3CzZFT6.png
- she/her
- please ping
in reply+quote
klfGHc7.png67-E654-DE-BBB7-441-C-BAE1-F4-EDB05-BC922.png
[quote name="astrojelly" date="2023-12-01 07:31:53" ] AUGHH thisbis so cool!! my fave part about nature lore is how destructive it can be and i absolutely LOVE the idea of underground roots that expand slowly overtaking the continent in secret (also the visuals you made are absolutely breathtaking) [/quote] Yes!! Nature might not be as violent and brutal as Plague, but Nature is [i]patient[/i], which is so, so much worse.
astrojelly wrote on 2023-12-01 07:31:53:

Yes!! Nature might not be as violent and brutal as Plague, but Nature is patient, which is so, so much worse.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx BqhBR1o.png
First of all: This is awesome and I love all of it.

Second of all: As a Shadowling may I mention how uncomfortable I am being between Plague and Nature? XD
First of all: This is awesome and I love all of it.

Second of all: As a Shadowling may I mention how uncomfortable I am being between Plague and Nature? XD
7GFlGJN.pngUQye6pN.pngMrRCllp.pngw7zrq5X.pngJ62sYF0.pnghgDH6fo.png9My5I2b.pngiibnNpu.pngDBFJoJn.pngA3L5B4e.pngzjJqiVN.png
v8f8ZKI.png
Bookmark!
Bookmark!
FObX7rS.png
q9EEy5M.png
o9yS1eq.png
ll0CfnD.png
YMPbu9R.png

oR9L7e0.png(image-heavy)
CHEWING ON THIS. Nature gets just as much eldritch horror as Plague does, as a treat (i love the similarities between us i LOVE the reflection of Plague in Nature and Nature in Plague i LOVE being frenemies i LOVE being unwilling allies i LOVE being sister flights I LOVE U NATURE AND NATURE CLANS)

also don't worry @Wildehearted, Plague and Nature are just here to borrow shroomie samples to improve the bioluminescence of our own fungi stock:3
CHEWING ON THIS. Nature gets just as much eldritch horror as Plague does, as a treat (i love the similarities between us i LOVE the reflection of Plague in Nature and Nature in Plague i LOVE being frenemies i LOVE being unwilling allies i LOVE being sister flights I LOVE U NATURE AND NATURE CLANS)

also don't worry @Wildehearted, Plague and Nature are just here to borrow shroomie samples to improve the bioluminescence of our own fungi stock:3
34047237.png
73030014.png
oh this is SO COOL... and if I'm being the honest, would be a much needed lore update for Nature.

I love Nature, but it always feel like we're being snubbed. We're just... plants and druids... there's sooo much more potential than that! What about our lush... accelerated.. growth...

anyway awesome post I love all of this
oh this is SO COOL... and if I'm being the honest, would be a much needed lore update for Nature.

I love Nature, but it always feel like we're being snubbed. We're just... plants and druids... there's sooo much more potential than that! What about our lush... accelerated.. growth...

anyway awesome post I love all of this
lesbiancatcher.png
Zeph / 22 / Redwood
fc4zvun.png
mCzmQ3E.png 9.png
[quote name="Nelsothy" date="2022-03-01 06:44:12" ] [quote name="Halkiierid" date="2022-02-28 15:08:56" ]Another thing about volcanic regions- they typically have wonderfully fertile soil. It's why people moved back into the area around Mt. Vesuvius after what happened to Pompeii- you might be living next to a gigantic natural bomb, but it's great wine country. However, given that Nature doesn't seem to be dealing with any volcanic issues at the moment, it seems likely that the Labyrinth is built on a dead volcano. In that case, the massive buildup of organic material would be keeping it from slowly eroding to the point where it sinks back underwater. [/quote] So you know how, in site lore, coatls have to return to Fire for mating season, because Flamecaller can't let go? Nature coatls definitely steal all the volcanic soil they can carry, huh. [/quote] I was thinking mangrove island formation and sea bird “contributions” to the phosphorus cycle in nature territory, but... This is much cuter, lol. (Also, is nobody going to say anything about mycorrhiza?)
Nelsothy wrote on 2022-03-01 06:44:12:
Halkiierid wrote on 2022-02-28 15:08:56:
Another thing about volcanic regions- they typically have wonderfully fertile soil. It's why people moved back into the area around Mt. Vesuvius after what happened to Pompeii- you might be living next to a gigantic natural bomb, but it's great wine country.

However, given that Nature doesn't seem to be dealing with any volcanic issues at the moment, it seems likely that the Labyrinth is built on a dead volcano. In that case, the massive buildup of organic material would be keeping it from slowly eroding to the point where it sinks back underwater.

So you know how, in site lore, coatls have to return to Fire for mating season, because Flamecaller can't let go?

Nature coatls definitely steal all the volcanic soil they can carry, huh.

I was thinking mangrove island formation and sea bird “contributions” to the phosphorus cycle in nature territory, but...
This is much cuter, lol.

(Also, is nobody going to say anything about mycorrhiza?)
[quote name="Oranitha" date="2021-03-03 13:01:23" ] Also, feel free to ping me with anything to prioritize. This is going to take a long time. [img]https://i.imgur.com/V1kRILL.png[/img] [center][size=5][b]C: Hedgehomes[/b][/size][/center] Named for both their living construction and passing resemblance to hedgehogs, "hedgehomes" are traditionally grown straight from a Behemoth root and roofed with her branches. Their tight, regular construction is a subtle sign; hedgehomes are home to some of the most powerful druids a visitor's likely to encounter. The health of an undercolony's Behemoth sprout is of utmost importance to its own survival. While it's true that the Behemoth's roots are a veritable nutrient superhighway, each colony is expected to contribute as much as they take, and this can typically only happen while the above-ground portion is photosynthesizing at max capacity. Thus, the sprout has an assigned keeper who devotes their day-to-day life to tending it and its surrounding child-jungle, coaxing it to be as large, powerful, and energetically productive as possible. Being a sprout-keeper is seen as an honored position, albeit with some politics behind it; battledruids who proved themselves on the frontlines but struggle to reintegrate with civilian life may be assigned to a sprout. The work is physically demanding, well-scoped, protective, and traditionally comes with a high degree of independence. Some keepers have little to no contact with the undercolony, save when things go wrong. Others are highly social, and will use their druidic skills to construct an entire little village of hedgehomes or even found a full clan. If you can locate the hedgehome and the keeper signs you to approach, they may be an excellent source of information about the health of the undercolony, if not its exact workings. Or they may know quite a bit! If you don't see the hedgehome, try not to look for it too hard; if they don't want you to see it, it's for a reason. [center][size=5][b]J: Unclaimed Cavern[/b][/size][/center] Nature dragons tend to lack Earth dragons' skill in tunneling. Thus, the discovery of a natural cavern is particularly exciting, as it represents a "free" expansion on the oft-claustrophobic confines of the rootbed. Cavern colonization is a slow process, but intensely watched. As the air equalizes and founder-lichens break down the surface stone, debates rage in nearby colonies. What will it become? A reservoir, a garden, a wild area? Who will plant it? Who gets to maintain it? Could we import some of those new hummingbird vines, or would they be too reliant on the Behemoth? Could we excavate a skylight? Are the mushroom people going to try claiming dibs? The depicted cavern is on a downslope from an archivist root city, and will likely become a public park/reservoir, assuming nothing moves in first... [/quote] Very fun lore!
Oranitha wrote on 2021-03-03 13:01:23:
Also, feel free to ping me with anything to prioritize. This is going to take a long time.

V1kRILL.png
C: Hedgehomes
Named for both their living construction and passing resemblance to hedgehogs, "hedgehomes" are traditionally grown straight from a Behemoth root and roofed with her branches. Their tight, regular construction is a subtle sign; hedgehomes are home to some of the most powerful druids a visitor's likely to encounter.

The health of an undercolony's Behemoth sprout is of utmost importance to its own survival. While it's true that the Behemoth's roots are a veritable nutrient superhighway, each colony is expected to contribute as much as they take, and this can typically only happen while the above-ground portion is photosynthesizing at max capacity. Thus, the sprout has an assigned keeper who devotes their day-to-day life to tending it and its surrounding child-jungle, coaxing it to be as large, powerful, and energetically productive as possible.

Being a sprout-keeper is seen as an honored position, albeit with some politics behind it; battledruids who proved themselves on the frontlines but struggle to reintegrate with civilian life may be assigned to a sprout. The work is physically demanding, well-scoped, protective, and traditionally comes with a high degree of independence. Some keepers have little to no contact with the undercolony, save when things go wrong. Others are highly social, and will use their druidic skills to construct an entire little village of hedgehomes or even found a full clan.

If you can locate the hedgehome and the keeper signs you to approach, they may be an excellent source of information about the health of the undercolony, if not its exact workings. Or they may know quite a bit! If you don't see the hedgehome, try not to look for it too hard; if they don't want you to see it, it's for a reason.

J: Unclaimed Cavern
Nature dragons tend to lack Earth dragons' skill in tunneling. Thus, the discovery of a natural cavern is particularly exciting, as it represents a "free" expansion on the oft-claustrophobic confines of the rootbed. Cavern colonization is a slow process, but intensely watched. As the air equalizes and founder-lichens break down the surface stone, debates rage in nearby colonies. What will it become? A reservoir, a garden, a wild area? Who will plant it? Who gets to maintain it? Could we import some of those new hummingbird vines, or would they be too reliant on the Behemoth? Could we excavate a skylight? Are the mushroom people going to try claiming dibs?

The depicted cavern is on a downslope from an archivist root city, and will likely become a public park/reservoir, assuming nothing moves in first...

Very fun lore!
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22