Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Help me price my art w/ FR currency plz
I feel like a middle aged man going through a mid-life crisis relying on get-rich-quick-tips from other middle aged men going through mid-life crisises. Anyways. I want to sell my art according to Flight Rising currency cause I'm getting back into it. vv some examples vv [img]https://i.imgur.com/ILGffaT.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/jgGH6a2.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/BEBOwD8.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/iE2s0qb.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/dj2QQU0.png[/img] any and all advice is appreciated <3
I feel like a middle aged man going through a mid-life crisis relying on get-rich-quick-tips from other middle aged men going through mid-life crisises.

Anyways. I want to sell my art according to Flight Rising currency cause I'm getting back into it.

vv some examples vv

ILGffaT.png

jgGH6a2.png

BEBOwD8.png

iE2s0qb.png

dj2QQU0.png

any and all advice is appreciated <3
PxyXKEl.png gvEIfkS.png
[emoji=planet size=5] bump [emoji=planet size=1]
bump
PxyXKEl.png gvEIfkS.png
I find a good way to get FRC pricing is to start by figuring out a fair USD (Or whatever your regular RL currency is) and then converting it to game currency.

The general rule of thumb is $1.00 USD = 100 gems = 100,000 treasure, BUT you can buy larger amounts of gems with discounts on the site, so it's more like $1.00 = 115 gems = 115,000 treasure.

So if you have a piece you would be willing to do for $5, then in site currency I would list it as; 575g or 575kt to make it worth your time.

$10= 1,150g or 1,115,000t
$20= 2,300g or 2.3mt
$30= 3,450g or 3.45mt

ect.
I find a good way to get FRC pricing is to start by figuring out a fair USD (Or whatever your regular RL currency is) and then converting it to game currency.

The general rule of thumb is $1.00 USD = 100 gems = 100,000 treasure, BUT you can buy larger amounts of gems with discounts on the site, so it's more like $1.00 = 115 gems = 115,000 treasure.

So if you have a piece you would be willing to do for $5, then in site currency I would list it as; 575g or 575kt to make it worth your time.

$10= 1,150g or 1,115,000t
$20= 2,300g or 2.3mt
$30= 3,450g or 3.45mt

ect.
6XMuGr3.pngDnM80v8.png
While I don't know how to price art (my shop is a PWYW shop, with a minimum rate), I do have a general set of guidelines that I like to share around threads like this (and of course, I hope they help, even if it's just a tiny section!).

Editing because why I decided to post via an iPad, I don't know, so I did NOT see the full extent of your art until now when I'm on desktop, omg! ;o;

My guidelines are similar to this (I tried to TLDR but after looking at your examples again, I kinda began to ramble):

The less detailed, the cheaper; Example: A full rendered fullbody pic should not be the same price as a meme doodle with little to no color.

Headshots should always be cheapest, fullbody most expensive.

Looking at your examples, I'd say your last piece would be the most expensive (shading, fullbody, more detailed + some added effects) while your first piece would be the "cheapest" (headshot, colored, but not as detailed).

The styles' variety definitely would also affect your prices, since the last piece appears like it took longer and had more effort into it (tbh, same with the one above it with the fullbody dragon), and usually more detailed pics are worth more than say, a doodle or meme piece, unless it's a very detailed doodle/meme. Even chibi art can be super pricey (around 3k gems for some!) if drawn in a more detailed manner!

For dragons in particular: No one should have to pay the same amount for a triple basic, ungened, no special eyes, no nothing dragon as they would a fully clothed/gened/special eyed/detailed skincent dragon. It's just kinda silly. The headshot, detail, etc rule still stays in tact here. Ex: The fullbody dragon would be more than the headshot because of all of these reasons; While both are clothed and supposedly gened, the headshot is still just that: A headshot, and the fullbody is a fullbody).

For OCs, the same thing, tbh, except the more detail, the pricier. Or you can leave this one out since "simple" varies upon artist to artist (like for me? Non realistic robots with very few actual "robotic" parts (aka, not a Transformer or Gundam)? Fine. Sparkledogs with tons of colors, markings, and piercings? Oh no, you gotta pay more, bud).

But also, keep how much time and materials you used in mind. Materials specifically if you do any traditional work (I see what appears to be only digital here, but y'know). If the pic takes longer, feel free to amp up the price, especially if it's for something like double the fullbody OCs or something.

Speaking of which: Some people do double prices (or add half the cost of a single char piece) for things like couples and Abberation dragons (due to 2 heads). You can do that if you want, but it's not a necessity.

On regards of fluctuating prices: If you want to draw a topic that you're not personally good at, but fear it not being up to your usual standards, you can totally lower the price for those, see how it goes (preferably more than once, but if you truly didn't find it enjoyable, go with your emotions and not what others want because in the end, it's for you to make an FR living while also giving back to others), and depending on the result you can either

1. Boost the price back to your flat rate and add it to a list of what you'll draw.

or

2. Add it to a will not draw list and leave it at that because why get paid if you're not gonna draw it?

(bonus mini rant because I just have to say it, I'm sorry in advance!)

These subject lists are super helpful to avoid potentially wasting time regarding questions about what you'll do and what you won't, and even what you may TRY. This also help people know what may trigger or otherwise make you uncomfortable if it's shown to you (like phobias, or gore, etc; Even Plague and Shadow Primal eyes give people the icks every so often, and it's a common thing, I've realized!).

Example: I see a shop that says "gimme your chracters". I'm primarily a robot OC art seeker, but the user didn't leave a list, just "gimme your characters".

I'd have to spend extra time asking what they're comfortable drawing, or just simply lay out some robots and hope they are open.

Personally, I don't like leaving my chars and then getting notified saying "that's not my thing". Because as someone who only lingers around art boards (I am an OC and AU creator), I get super pumped if I get a notification regarding a post from an artist, and this is just how I function. I can't change that.

BUT when that post is a rejection type thing, I feel like an idiot because those said emotions got the best of me. And sadly, this happens in real life too; I get excited because of something big, and then...Something ruins everything and I'm sulking the rest of the time and questioning WHY NOW? xD

This is why I love when people outright list everything (or y'know, ideas) of what they are fine drawing and what they're not. I by default don't have anything NSFW or unsafe for FR because I don't engage with that side of the internet. I also don't seek graphic artwork (aka, gore, blood, stuff like that) so I know that's another thing I can easily stray from.

But when people just say "gimme things", I am unsure of what kind of "things". Are they miffed by dark characters? Are robots something they enjoy? Do they only want dragons? Good Lord Xero please specify! ;o;

And of course, content/trigger warnings are helpful for those who may have phobias that could be affected by FR content (such as Multigaze, certain skincents, etc), and/or may just not be comfortable seeing certain topics (death, gore, etc). While these are by no means manditory, it just helps keep others safe.

Like if I were to enter a shop, especially if they drew robots!, and saw a bunch of bloody, gory pieces of bodies laying around in a most gruesome manner, I'd have to leave. I'm not really "triggered" by blood, but considering that I tend to avoid most medias due to the massive amounts they put into them, yeah, I don't like it. It makes me uncomfortable, and I just don't want my characters associated with it (now if I draw it myself, that's one thing, because I can control the amount, AND also know my characters' enviroments, lore, etc; But I still wouldn't post it on a PG-13 virtual pet site xD).

It just helps prevent future issues or loss of business, I guess. Plus massive gore isn't even allowed on FR, nor is anything NSFW, so if someone has those in their shop - even via a link to an offsite page (like social media, DeviantArt, etc) - yeah...

TLDR: These lists save time and sanity. xD Especially sanity. Trust me.
While I don't know how to price art (my shop is a PWYW shop, with a minimum rate), I do have a general set of guidelines that I like to share around threads like this (and of course, I hope they help, even if it's just a tiny section!).

Editing because why I decided to post via an iPad, I don't know, so I did NOT see the full extent of your art until now when I'm on desktop, omg! ;o;

My guidelines are similar to this (I tried to TLDR but after looking at your examples again, I kinda began to ramble):

The less detailed, the cheaper; Example: A full rendered fullbody pic should not be the same price as a meme doodle with little to no color.

Headshots should always be cheapest, fullbody most expensive.

Looking at your examples, I'd say your last piece would be the most expensive (shading, fullbody, more detailed + some added effects) while your first piece would be the "cheapest" (headshot, colored, but not as detailed).

The styles' variety definitely would also affect your prices, since the last piece appears like it took longer and had more effort into it (tbh, same with the one above it with the fullbody dragon), and usually more detailed pics are worth more than say, a doodle or meme piece, unless it's a very detailed doodle/meme. Even chibi art can be super pricey (around 3k gems for some!) if drawn in a more detailed manner!

For dragons in particular: No one should have to pay the same amount for a triple basic, ungened, no special eyes, no nothing dragon as they would a fully clothed/gened/special eyed/detailed skincent dragon. It's just kinda silly. The headshot, detail, etc rule still stays in tact here. Ex: The fullbody dragon would be more than the headshot because of all of these reasons; While both are clothed and supposedly gened, the headshot is still just that: A headshot, and the fullbody is a fullbody).

For OCs, the same thing, tbh, except the more detail, the pricier. Or you can leave this one out since "simple" varies upon artist to artist (like for me? Non realistic robots with very few actual "robotic" parts (aka, not a Transformer or Gundam)? Fine. Sparkledogs with tons of colors, markings, and piercings? Oh no, you gotta pay more, bud).

But also, keep how much time and materials you used in mind. Materials specifically if you do any traditional work (I see what appears to be only digital here, but y'know). If the pic takes longer, feel free to amp up the price, especially if it's for something like double the fullbody OCs or something.

Speaking of which: Some people do double prices (or add half the cost of a single char piece) for things like couples and Abberation dragons (due to 2 heads). You can do that if you want, but it's not a necessity.

On regards of fluctuating prices: If you want to draw a topic that you're not personally good at, but fear it not being up to your usual standards, you can totally lower the price for those, see how it goes (preferably more than once, but if you truly didn't find it enjoyable, go with your emotions and not what others want because in the end, it's for you to make an FR living while also giving back to others), and depending on the result you can either

1. Boost the price back to your flat rate and add it to a list of what you'll draw.

or

2. Add it to a will not draw list and leave it at that because why get paid if you're not gonna draw it?

(bonus mini rant because I just have to say it, I'm sorry in advance!)

These subject lists are super helpful to avoid potentially wasting time regarding questions about what you'll do and what you won't, and even what you may TRY. This also help people know what may trigger or otherwise make you uncomfortable if it's shown to you (like phobias, or gore, etc; Even Plague and Shadow Primal eyes give people the icks every so often, and it's a common thing, I've realized!).

Example: I see a shop that says "gimme your chracters". I'm primarily a robot OC art seeker, but the user didn't leave a list, just "gimme your characters".

I'd have to spend extra time asking what they're comfortable drawing, or just simply lay out some robots and hope they are open.

Personally, I don't like leaving my chars and then getting notified saying "that's not my thing". Because as someone who only lingers around art boards (I am an OC and AU creator), I get super pumped if I get a notification regarding a post from an artist, and this is just how I function. I can't change that.

BUT when that post is a rejection type thing, I feel like an idiot because those said emotions got the best of me. And sadly, this happens in real life too; I get excited because of something big, and then...Something ruins everything and I'm sulking the rest of the time and questioning WHY NOW? xD

This is why I love when people outright list everything (or y'know, ideas) of what they are fine drawing and what they're not. I by default don't have anything NSFW or unsafe for FR because I don't engage with that side of the internet. I also don't seek graphic artwork (aka, gore, blood, stuff like that) so I know that's another thing I can easily stray from.

But when people just say "gimme things", I am unsure of what kind of "things". Are they miffed by dark characters? Are robots something they enjoy? Do they only want dragons? Good Lord Xero please specify! ;o;

And of course, content/trigger warnings are helpful for those who may have phobias that could be affected by FR content (such as Multigaze, certain skincents, etc), and/or may just not be comfortable seeing certain topics (death, gore, etc). While these are by no means manditory, it just helps keep others safe.

Like if I were to enter a shop, especially if they drew robots!, and saw a bunch of bloody, gory pieces of bodies laying around in a most gruesome manner, I'd have to leave. I'm not really "triggered" by blood, but considering that I tend to avoid most medias due to the massive amounts they put into them, yeah, I don't like it. It makes me uncomfortable, and I just don't want my characters associated with it (now if I draw it myself, that's one thing, because I can control the amount, AND also know my characters' enviroments, lore, etc; But I still wouldn't post it on a PG-13 virtual pet site xD).

It just helps prevent future issues or loss of business, I guess. Plus massive gore isn't even allowed on FR, nor is anything NSFW, so if someone has those in their shop - even via a link to an offsite page (like social media, DeviantArt, etc) - yeah...

TLDR: These lists save time and sanity. xD Especially sanity. Trust me.
OMG, your art is so cute and that paintery style is absolutely adorable and super pretty, woah...

Since I do not really commission art, here are some random estimates, based on your art above compared to some random shops I just checked on the forum:

Headshot:
400-500g: not-painted headshot, no apparel
~1000g or up: painted headshot, no apparel
(add 50-100g per apparel based on apparel or texture complexity)

Half body:
~1500g or up: not-painted half body, no apparel
~3000g or up: painted half body, no apparel

Half body:
3000g or up: not-painted full body, no apparel
6000g or up: painted full body, no apparel
(add 100g per apparel based on apparel or texture complexity)

Multiple:
If only apparel line art differs, charge 1x base price + apparel prices.

Note: not an expert, so pls check with others and by lookign at other shops on the forum!
OMG, your art is so cute and that paintery style is absolutely adorable and super pretty, woah...

Since I do not really commission art, here are some random estimates, based on your art above compared to some random shops I just checked on the forum:

Headshot:
400-500g: not-painted headshot, no apparel
~1000g or up: painted headshot, no apparel

Half body:
~1500g or up: not-painted half body, no apparel
~3000g or up: painted half body, no apparel

Half body:
3000g or up: not-painted full body, no apparel
6000g or up: painted full body, no apparel
(add 100g per apparel based on apparel or texture complexity)

Multiple:
If only apparel line art differs, charge 1x base price + apparel prices.

Note: not an expert, so pls check with others and by lookign at other shops on the forum!
Duanwu will shamelessly eat your likes. Art by celaine.
Some day, there will be art here.
Wishlist | Lore [WIP] | Gallery | Archive
G1 sales thread here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvest RaffleKeikoKat's Raffe
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx