Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | You know the deal [Quaternary]
1 2 3
I saw an interesting post a few weeks back that made a light bulb appear above my head. This is mainly copied from the ticket I sent. Now, I know we've seen this suggestion come and go over and over again, probably because a lot of people would love to have something like this. After seeing a discussion mentioning it, something occurred to me and I'd like to share it, whether the Staff has it as a potential idea for an update in the future or not. I know people have been suggesting adding a completely additional colour wheel to the quaternary, with completely new genes that act like the tertiary. That could cause a lot of problems, especially now down the line, and we don't really want random colours appearing on dragons, even if they can be completely invisible. However, in this case I have something much less demanding yet something just as interesting. Basically, imagine an update in which another layer was added to the dragon which uses the tertiary layer again. I think I know how the image generator for FR dragons works and I know that a dragon is still fully complete without a visible tertiary (aka in Basic mode). To those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example (secondary layer and tertiary layer invisible). [center][img]https://flightrising.com/image_generators/dragonpic2.php?body=23&wing=0&style=13&gender=1&ages=1&prig=1&secg=1&tert=54&elem=10&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png[/img][/center] [right][i]The image generator has layers - the one above all is the Eye layer, then the tert, then the secondary, then the primary.[/i][/right] Edit: I don't know what has happened but the image above does not work anymore, maybe the Staff removed accessibility to the old generator (it works on another PC...) I also know that the tertiary is always layered above the primary and secondary segments, so what if with the update all dragons received just another tertiary in the form of a quaternary? No new colour, no randomised colour, no new genes, all existing dragons upon release just get another facet of the same tertiary colour. Said quaternary colour can only be changed through scattering and it will ALWAYS correspond with the tertiary. That way, a dragon could have, for example, Glimmer + Okapi, or Scales + Peacock, or Veined + Opal. You get my drift? And regarding layering issues with some more complex genes? A toggle right next to it that allows the players to automatically switch between the tert and quat layers. [img]https://i.postimg.cc/WznkM7x5/gene.png[/img] [right][i]Coding mockup I slapped together in 8 minutes.[/i][/right] This sort of thing would only require an expansion and slight tweaking of the current generator, which I can see as the only truly demanding feat, while there would be no additional artistic requirement for it apart from making the dragon information box look nice and some polishing. There would be no additional genes, one could easily take a classic tertiary gene, such as the Tertiary Gene: Okapi item, and then a window would pop up in which we choose our dragon, then it asks which slot we apply it to: 1 or 2. Said window already exists so it would just require adding to it. This would be a great Treasure sink for a lot of people and those who don't want to use it, they leave it as Basic. I've seen people be concerned about complex genes like "Crackle + Circuit" but what does that matter if you have the choice to never use it? A lot of dragons would look very cluttered/clashing with just Crackle, for example, you wouldn't ask for Crackle to never exist just because it's an option, right? Don't want to use Glimmer + Underbelly? Great, then don't! Use this info as you wish Here are some examples of two or more tertiaries: [img]https://i.postimg.cc/rmk5xYhK/Khit.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/WpCLVPKb/auf-potential.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/7LhrDYxh/stet-u.png[/img] [img]https://i.postimg.cc/MGVbn1ZF/ban.png[/img]
I saw an interesting post a few weeks back that made a light bulb appear above my head. This is mainly copied from the ticket I sent.

Now, I know we've seen this suggestion come and go over and over again, probably because a lot of people would love to have something like this. After seeing a discussion mentioning it, something occurred to me and I'd like to share it, whether the Staff has it as a potential idea for an update in the future or not.

I know people have been suggesting adding a completely additional colour wheel to the quaternary, with completely new genes that act like the tertiary. That could cause a lot of problems, especially now down the line, and we don't really want random colours appearing on dragons, even if they can be completely invisible. However, in this case I have something much less demanding yet something just as interesting. Basically, imagine an update in which another layer was added to the dragon which uses the tertiary layer again.

I think I know how the image generator for FR dragons works and I know that a dragon is still fully complete without a visible tertiary (aka in Basic mode). To those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's an example (secondary layer and tertiary layer invisible).
dragonpic2.php?body=23&wing=0&style=13&gender=1&ages=1&prig=1&secg=1&tert=54&elem=10&tertgene=0&spec=prev.png
The image generator has layers - the one above all is the Eye layer, then the tert, then the secondary, then the primary.

Edit: I don't know what has happened but the image above does not work anymore, maybe the Staff removed accessibility to the old generator (it works on another PC...)

I also know that the tertiary is always layered above the primary and secondary segments, so what if with the update all dragons received just another tertiary in the form of a quaternary? No new colour, no randomised colour, no new genes, all existing dragons upon release just get another facet of the same tertiary colour. Said quaternary colour can only be changed through scattering and it will ALWAYS correspond with the tertiary. That way, a dragon could have, for example, Glimmer + Okapi, or Scales + Peacock, or Veined + Opal. You get my drift? And regarding layering issues with some more complex genes? A toggle right next to it that allows the players to automatically switch between the tert and quat layers.

gene.png
Coding mockup I slapped together in 8 minutes.

This sort of thing would only require an expansion and slight tweaking of the current generator, which I can see as the only truly demanding feat, while there would be no additional artistic requirement for it apart from making the dragon information box look nice and some polishing.

There would be no additional genes, one could easily take a classic tertiary gene, such as the Tertiary Gene: Okapi item, and then a window would pop up in which we choose our dragon, then it asks which slot we apply it to: 1 or 2. Said window already exists so it would just require adding to it. This would be a great Treasure sink for a lot of people and those who don't want to use it, they leave it as Basic.

I've seen people be concerned about complex genes like "Crackle + Circuit" but what does that matter if you have the choice to never use it? A lot of dragons would look very cluttered/clashing with just Crackle, for example, you wouldn't ask for Crackle to never exist just because it's an option, right? Don't want to use Glimmer + Underbelly? Great, then don't!

Use this info as you wish

Here are some examples of two or more tertiaries:

Khit.png
auf-potential.png
stet-u.png
ban.png
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
Honestly if they add a 4th gene it should be new genes or concepts rather than duplicate tertiary genes. Potentially some existing tertiaries could be moved over to the quaternary section (for example soap, stained, underbelly, glimmer). I personally prefer the concept of quaternary genes being modifier genes
Honestly if they add a 4th gene it should be new genes or concepts rather than duplicate tertiary genes. Potentially some existing tertiaries could be moved over to the quaternary section (for example soap, stained, underbelly, glimmer). I personally prefer the concept of quaternary genes being modifier genes
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
I like the idea of a quaternary gene if you can turn it on/off and choose the color yourself-- after all, why not? I think allowing a player to choose the color would be the only way to implement this without intrusion.

Perhaps some sort of gem scroll to unlock and choose a quaternary color. If it doesn't mess with dragons as they are now and is completely customizable and optional, I think this would be very cool!

As for what a quaternary gene would entail, I trust other people's opinions and wants more than my own :p be it just tertiary genes in a new slot or completely new and unique genes, both seem interesting to me.
I like the idea of a quaternary gene if you can turn it on/off and choose the color yourself-- after all, why not? I think allowing a player to choose the color would be the only way to implement this without intrusion.

Perhaps some sort of gem scroll to unlock and choose a quaternary color. If it doesn't mess with dragons as they are now and is completely customizable and optional, I think this would be very cool!

As for what a quaternary gene would entail, I trust other people's opinions and wants more than my own :p be it just tertiary genes in a new slot or completely new and unique genes, both seem interesting to me.
[quote name="Decres" date="2022-09-25 10:21:59" ] I like the idea of a quaternary gene if you can turn it on/off and choose the color yourself-- after all, why not? I think allowing a player to choose the color would be the only way to implement this without intrusion. Perhaps some sort of gem scroll to unlock and choose a quaternary color. If it doesn't mess with dragons as they are now and is completely customizable and optional, I think this would be very cool! As for what a quaternary gene would entail, I trust other people's opinions and wants more than my own :p be it just tertiary genes in a new slot or completely new and unique genes, both seem interesting to me. [/quote] ^All of this said it better than I could. I'd enjoy a quarternary gene IF it was 1. optional and 2. you could choose the color for a fee, but I'd also enjoy new tert genes that combine more than one existing tert gene. I just know that I look at dergs sometimes like "wow it would be cool if I could combine Tert X and Tert Y" and I'm glad I'm not the only person. Like for example, Runes and Sparkle would be a cool combo.
Decres wrote on 2022-09-25 10:21:59:

^All of this said it better than I could. I'd enjoy a quarternary gene IF it was 1. optional and 2. you could choose the color for a fee, but I'd also enjoy new tert genes that combine more than one existing tert gene.

I just know that I look at dergs sometimes like "wow it would be cool if I could combine Tert X and Tert Y" and I'm glad I'm not the only person. Like for example, Runes and Sparkle would be a cool combo.
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
[quote name="Natron" date="2022-09-25 06:31:24" ] I've seen people be concerned about complex genes like "Crackle + Circuit" but what does that matter if you have the choice to never use it? A lot of dragons would look very cluttered/clashing with just Crackle, for example, you wouldn't ask for Crackle to never exist just because it's an option, right? [/quote] OK, but some of us (and by some of us I mean "me") want to watch the world burn. Let us make garbage dragons even worse [emoji=ridgeback winking size=2][emoji=ridgeback laughing size=2]
Natron wrote on 2022-09-25 06:31:24:

I've seen people be concerned about complex genes like "Crackle + Circuit" but what does that matter if you have the choice to never use it? A lot of dragons would look very cluttered/clashing with just Crackle, for example, you wouldn't ask for Crackle to never exist just because it's an option, right?

OK, but some of us (and by some of us I mean "me") want to watch the world burn. Let us make garbage dragons even worse
pings off | plz no random friend requests/PMs/profile comments
No support. What happens to existing dragons? Do they all have a new basic quaternary rolled for them and then you just have to live with your previously beloved dragons having an entire new color slot? Making this optional would make things even more confusing. This would play out very similarly to the eye vial drama thing imo, and the idea of my G1s having extra color slots that I would then either need to gene or ignore makes me itch.
No support. What happens to existing dragons? Do they all have a new basic quaternary rolled for them and then you just have to live with your previously beloved dragons having an entire new color slot? Making this optional would make things even more confusing. This would play out very similarly to the eye vial drama thing imo, and the idea of my G1s having extra color slots that I would then either need to gene or ignore makes me itch.
I'm relatively indifferent with regards to adding a quaternary slot, but I'll still say support because I could see its usefulness with ancients. [quote name="Unrest" date="2022-09-25 15:05:16" ] No support. What happens to existing dragons? Do they all have a new basic quaternary rolled for them and then you just have to live with your previously beloved dragons having an entire new color slot? Making this optional would make things even more confusing. This would play out very similarly to the eye vial drama thing imo, and the idea of my G1s having extra color slots that I would then either need to gene or ignore makes me itch. [/quote] Per the original post, it seems like Natron is suggesting that the quaternary color is the same as the tert. [quote name="Natron" date="2022-09-25 06:31:24" ] I also know that the tertiary is always layered above the primary and secondary segments, so what if with the update all dragons received just another tertiary in the form of a quaternary? [b]No new colour, no randomised colour, no new genes[/b], all existing dragons upon release just get another facet of the same tertiary colour. Said quaternary colour can only be changed through scattering and [b]it will ALWAYS correspond with the tertiary[/b]. [/quote] Emphasis mine.
I'm relatively indifferent with regards to adding a quaternary slot, but I'll still say support because I could see its usefulness with ancients.
Unrest wrote on 2022-09-25 15:05:16:
Per the original post, it seems like Natron is suggesting that the quaternary color is the same as the tert.
Natron wrote on 2022-09-25 06:31:24:
I also know that the tertiary is always layered above the primary and secondary segments, so what if with the update all dragons received just another tertiary in the form of a quaternary? No new colour, no randomised colour, no new genes, all existing dragons upon release just get another facet of the same tertiary colour. Said quaternary colour can only be changed through scattering and it will ALWAYS correspond with the tertiary.
Emphasis mine.
- G1s for sale
- LF any combo of abyss, copper, spruce and other dream g1s
No support in general because it's too late in the game for this. Especially not automatically giving every dragon a 4th color that's the exact same as the 3rd. What if a person has an XYX and thus winds up with an XYXX when they want an XYXY or an XYXZ? The only way to possibly make it fair is to let every user pick the 4th color for every dragon--and that's a huge undertaking, especially with how much thought might need to go into existing breeding pairs. Would there be a time limit to how long users have to pick? Would they hold out indefinitely? Because then it's possible that "dragons with only 3 colors" become the new "2 letter name dragons" and "low ID dragons." Which is a whole new can of worms when inactive large lairs are considered.

I also don't like the idea about bumping some existing terts to quads and not others. A dragon with iri/shim/underbelly becoming iri/shim/basic/underbelly could really mess with a lot of dragon, again especially when considering breeding pairs. Example: Iri/shim/under bred with an iri/shim/spines--now it's iri/shim/basic/under and iri/shim/spines/basic which is not going to yield the same results.

If the site was this way from the beginning it'd be fine, but IMHO, this change is way too huge to implement now without causing a lot of headache. Rather would see simply new terts that do that same thing. For example, someone wants a sparkle/firefly? Then make a glitzy new tert all together.

Also, having dragons being too chaotic can be a turn off for new people scoping out the site for the first time.

I also support the gene variation idea mentioned earlier. I feel that is a lot more feasible, and it won't jack up everyone's lairs.
No support in general because it's too late in the game for this. Especially not automatically giving every dragon a 4th color that's the exact same as the 3rd. What if a person has an XYX and thus winds up with an XYXX when they want an XYXY or an XYXZ? The only way to possibly make it fair is to let every user pick the 4th color for every dragon--and that's a huge undertaking, especially with how much thought might need to go into existing breeding pairs. Would there be a time limit to how long users have to pick? Would they hold out indefinitely? Because then it's possible that "dragons with only 3 colors" become the new "2 letter name dragons" and "low ID dragons." Which is a whole new can of worms when inactive large lairs are considered.

I also don't like the idea about bumping some existing terts to quads and not others. A dragon with iri/shim/underbelly becoming iri/shim/basic/underbelly could really mess with a lot of dragon, again especially when considering breeding pairs. Example: Iri/shim/under bred with an iri/shim/spines--now it's iri/shim/basic/under and iri/shim/spines/basic which is not going to yield the same results.

If the site was this way from the beginning it'd be fine, but IMHO, this change is way too huge to implement now without causing a lot of headache. Rather would see simply new terts that do that same thing. For example, someone wants a sparkle/firefly? Then make a glitzy new tert all together.

Also, having dragons being too chaotic can be a turn off for new people scoping out the site for the first time.

I also support the gene variation idea mentioned earlier. I feel that is a lot more feasible, and it won't jack up everyone's lairs.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Personally, I like that Flight Rising has a simplistic three gene slot system. Other petsites sometimes have more complex gene systems with several slots; but, I just find them overwhelming. It’s the reason why I haven’t tried the other ones. The simplistic system consisting of 3 slots (Body, Wings, Markings) is easy to learn and understand.

There is no problem with other sites having more than three slots; but, Flight Rising is Flight Rising. Not those other sites. The simplicity of FR is what drew me in. If a user wishes to have more unique features, they can create accents and skins.
Personally, I like that Flight Rising has a simplistic three gene slot system. Other petsites sometimes have more complex gene systems with several slots; but, I just find them overwhelming. It’s the reason why I haven’t tried the other ones. The simplistic system consisting of 3 slots (Body, Wings, Markings) is easy to learn and understand.

There is no problem with other sites having more than three slots; but, Flight Rising is Flight Rising. Not those other sites. The simplicity of FR is what drew me in. If a user wishes to have more unique features, they can create accents and skins.
5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
I wonder if you could have the tert+quarternary as the same gene? Imagine a double stacked stained dragon, that would be interesting.
I wonder if you could have the tert+quarternary as the same gene? Imagine a double stacked stained dragon, that would be interesting.
IMG_3849.png
1 2 3