Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What's your major?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I'm currently studying English and linguistics in university and I'm curious to hear what others study and why!
I personally chose English and linguistics because I love languages, hoping to become a translator after I finish school :) (would love to translate cartoons and animated movies for dubs in my native language!)
I'm currently studying English and linguistics in university and I'm curious to hear what others study and why!
I personally chose English and linguistics because I love languages, hoping to become a translator after I finish school :) (would love to translate cartoons and animated movies for dubs in my native language!)
bYt72YT.png HouhGS9.png
4SzSxLW.png
oZ15e9N.png
chemical engineering! i chose it because...... i love money. but actually i have a huge interest in environmental engineering as well, which at my college is connected to the chemical engineering degree! and i care so much about renewable energy, and policies that make nonrenewable energy more sustainable and better
chemical engineering! i chose it because...... i love money. but actually i have a huge interest in environmental engineering as well, which at my college is connected to the chemical engineering degree! and i care so much about renewable energy, and policies that make nonrenewable energy more sustainable and better
[quote name="AhoyCookie" date="2023-11-30 14:32:40" ] chemical engineering! i chose it because...... i love money. but actually i have a huge interest in environmental engineering as well, which at my college is connected to the chemical engineering degree! and i care so much about renewable energy, and policies that make nonrenewable energy more sustainable and better [/quote] That is so cool!
AhoyCookie wrote on 2023-11-30 14:32:40:

That is so cool!
bYt72YT.png HouhGS9.png
4SzSxLW.png
oZ15e9N.png
I'm going to talk about the major I'm switching into, which is History. I have a wide range of interests that are woefully underdeveloped, so picking something was miserably difficult. I won't make any excuses for that, though, as I like to think I've noticed enough to make a difference with how I approach things in the future. Originally, I was a philosophy major. I really wanted to go into academia for the subject, but the more classes I take the more arbitrary it feels. I've started to realize the philosophy I was interested in was absolutely not the philosophy that has much attention at the moment, and I don't want to risk having to fight to cut a niche for myself and end up relegated into nothingness. I was also very fond of literature in high school, but the English major didn't feel intensive enough for me (which is also partially why I chose philosophy originally). I love learning languages, but I also really like historical linguistics, or the viewing of language evolution over time (like how Latin became the romance languages or how Finnish, for example, has a lot of interesting linguistic relatives!)

When I was younger I was very scientifically oriented. I had an infobook about minerals that I would consult often, same with dinosaurs, and again with trees. Somehow, that is not where I ended up.

I actually didn't think I'd become a History major! For a long time, it was brute memorization and didn't feel very real or interesting. I started to like it in my Junior year (specifically about the Gilded Age politics and urban development +industrialization), but I really started to enjoy it when I did some historical research over the summer which effectively cemented my interest. Unrelated but, I got really insane about union history and economic history sometime around then, too. I still want to go into academia, but I'd be comfortable doing archival work or working at a museum of natural history. I'm in the works of deciding what my second major should be if I take one at all! I'm taking a lot of geography courses next sem because the history courses I was hoping to take are all filled, and I'm content with what I see so far! I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding lately, not that it's a reason why I want to take the geography classes, but I think it's a funny coincidence! Geography was also something I cared nothing for, as I also felt it was rote memorization.

I wish you luck on your journey! I hope you become the translator you hope to be, my friend! It's wonderful to see people out there with so much passion. 

I'm going to talk about the major I'm switching into, which is History. I have a wide range of interests that are woefully underdeveloped, so picking something was miserably difficult. I won't make any excuses for that, though, as I like to think I've noticed enough to make a difference with how I approach things in the future. Originally, I was a philosophy major. I really wanted to go into academia for the subject, but the more classes I take the more arbitrary it feels. I've started to realize the philosophy I was interested in was absolutely not the philosophy that has much attention at the moment, and I don't want to risk having to fight to cut a niche for myself and end up relegated into nothingness. I was also very fond of literature in high school, but the English major didn't feel intensive enough for me (which is also partially why I chose philosophy originally). I love learning languages, but I also really like historical linguistics, or the viewing of language evolution over time (like how Latin became the romance languages or how Finnish, for example, has a lot of interesting linguistic relatives!)

When I was younger I was very scientifically oriented. I had an infobook about minerals that I would consult often, same with dinosaurs, and again with trees. Somehow, that is not where I ended up.

I actually didn't think I'd become a History major! For a long time, it was brute memorization and didn't feel very real or interesting. I started to like it in my Junior year (specifically about the Gilded Age politics and urban development +industrialization), but I really started to enjoy it when I did some historical research over the summer which effectively cemented my interest. Unrelated but, I got really insane about union history and economic history sometime around then, too. I still want to go into academia, but I'd be comfortable doing archival work or working at a museum of natural history. I'm in the works of deciding what my second major should be if I take one at all! I'm taking a lot of geography courses next sem because the history courses I was hoping to take are all filled, and I'm content with what I see so far! I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding lately, not that it's a reason why I want to take the geography classes, but I think it's a funny coincidence! Geography was also something I cared nothing for, as I also felt it was rote memorization.

I wish you luck on your journey! I hope you become the translator you hope to be, my friend! It's wonderful to see people out there with so much passion. 

UwUnl7O.png
mlHpBMC.pngmjtJ868.png 5vnsOgE.pngQ2if6VF.png
[quote name="bbgummi" date="2023-11-30 14:40:33" ] I'm going to talk about the major I'm switching into, which is History. I have a wide range of interests that are woefully underdeveloped, so picking something was miserably difficult. I won't make any excuses for that, though, as I like to think I've noticed enough to make a difference with how I approach things in the future. Originally, I was a philosophy major. I really wanted to go into academia for the subject, but the more classes I take the more arbitrary it feels. I've started to realize the philosophy I was interested in was absolutely not the philosophy that has much attention at the moment, and I don't want to risk having to fight to cut a niche for myself and end up relegated into nothingness. I was also very fond of literature in high school, but the English major didn't feel intensive enough for me (which is also partially why I chose philosophy originally). I love learning languages, but I also really like historical linguistics, or the viewing of language evolution over time (like how Latin became the romance languages or how Finnish, for example, has a lot of interesting linguistic relatives!) When I was younger I was very scientifically oriented. I had an infobook about minerals that I would consult often, same with dinosaurs, and again with trees. Somehow, that is not where I ended up. I actually didn't think I'd become a History major! For a long time, it was brute memorization and didn't feel very real or interesting. I started to like it in my Junior year (specifically about the Gilded Age politics and urban development +industrialization), but I really started to enjoy it when I did some historical research over the summer which effectively cemented my interest. Unrelated but, I got really insane about union history and economic history sometime around then, too. I still want to go into academia, but I'd be comfortable doing archival work or working at a museum of natural history. I'm in the works of deciding what my second major should be if I take one at all! I'm taking a lot of geography courses next sem because the history courses I was hoping to take are all filled, and I'm content with what I see so far! I've been doing a lot of worldbuilding lately, not that it's a reason why I want to take the geography classes, but I think it's a funny coincidence! Geography was also something I cared nothing for, as I also felt it was rote memorization. I wish you luck on your journey! I hope you become the translator you hope to be, my friend! It's wonderful to see people out there with so much passion. [/quote] Ah, I love history too! Been thinking about taking history as my minor but I haven't decided on that yet... Good luck to you too, hope you enjoy your new major!
bbgummi wrote on 2023-11-30 14:40:33:

Ah, I love history too! Been thinking about taking history as my minor but I haven't decided on that yet... Good luck to you too, hope you enjoy your new major!
bYt72YT.png HouhGS9.png
4SzSxLW.png
oZ15e9N.png
Fine arts. If I end up going to a proper art school there'll be more variety of art majors for me to pick from, but I'm currently at community college.

Ironically I'm not even good at art, I just really enjoy the subject. :P
Fine arts. If I end up going to a proper art school there'll be more variety of art majors for me to pick from, but I'm currently at community college.

Ironically I'm not even good at art, I just really enjoy the subject. :P
KNiDL_Star_Rod_sprite.png 7nrEOpT.png
bYt72YT.png
Zn1clbn.png
9vwqdfK.png
tyEuRXe.png
9R2Unq1.png
CeZAyqc.png
lA1sWNh.png
Collector of gen 1 aethers, imperial enjoyer, old dragon admirer, sprite/nymph adorer
KNiDL_Star_Rod_icon.png
Linguistics sounds cool! Do you dub/translate cartoons or animations for hobby or practice? :D

My major is Computer science and engineering, but I chose my curriculum focusing on programming (software side) so barely knows about the hardware parts, excepting the basic ones.

Originally I wanted to learn and do the illustration job for games or something (like concept arts) but my parent was strongly against it so dropped the dream. I was really upset but now I kinda understand them... There's like 3 people who studied same thing around them, and all of them graduated really good college and talented but ended up getting different job... So law of 'painters are poor' was so true for them and they didn't want me to wear the same shoes.

Drawing was always a part of me so I was so confused at the young age, but luckily I remembered I liked coding (which was my another hobby, though it was really basic stuffs) so gave it a try. And I studied hard in univ and got a job later :P

So coding is like... a life saver to me. If I never tried it before, I might be still confused and could not find my way. It almost kills me while overtime though
Linguistics sounds cool! Do you dub/translate cartoons or animations for hobby or practice? :D

My major is Computer science and engineering, but I chose my curriculum focusing on programming (software side) so barely knows about the hardware parts, excepting the basic ones.

Originally I wanted to learn and do the illustration job for games or something (like concept arts) but my parent was strongly against it so dropped the dream. I was really upset but now I kinda understand them... There's like 3 people who studied same thing around them, and all of them graduated really good college and talented but ended up getting different job... So law of 'painters are poor' was so true for them and they didn't want me to wear the same shoes.

Drawing was always a part of me so I was so confused at the young age, but luckily I remembered I liked coding (which was my another hobby, though it was really basic stuffs) so gave it a try. And I studied hard in univ and got a job later :P

So coding is like... a life saver to me. If I never tried it before, I might be still confused and could not find my way. It almost kills me while overtime though
WHERE HER DREAMS END >
Unite we stand, divide we fall
| WD/WHDE | ~Plague~ | Any Pronounce | FRT+17(GMT+9) |

| ART SHOP | ACCENT SHOP | HATCHERY | feel free to ping!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
8c05f7199b7e3138b1bd09794101984bae36928e.png
I have my bachelor's in Natural Resources! It's a nice, broad degree that includes wildlife science, botany, environmental engineering, and foresty, among other things. I got my specialization in fish and wildlife, but I'm wishing now after the fact that I had rangeland science or botany haha. I fell in love with plants in college.

Right now I'm just working seasonally, but considering going to grad school in the future. Not sure at this point what I'd like to do, but it's definitely on my mind. c:

Good luck on your learning journey! Translation is super important, I'm glad you can find a way to tie it into your interests, too!
I have my bachelor's in Natural Resources! It's a nice, broad degree that includes wildlife science, botany, environmental engineering, and foresty, among other things. I got my specialization in fish and wildlife, but I'm wishing now after the fact that I had rangeland science or botany haha. I fell in love with plants in college.

Right now I'm just working seasonally, but considering going to grad school in the future. Not sure at this point what I'd like to do, but it's definitely on my mind. c:

Good luck on your learning journey! Translation is super important, I'm glad you can find a way to tie it into your interests, too!
4e48afae7ea64e587fff31cf892fcf9de1d76c3a.png
Critter Adopts
The acorn beckons
Divider-Branch4.png
33341.png Horsiesmall.png
Aiming for a geology degree in hopes of pursuing a career paleontology or oceanography. I hope to make it through it, so far its been smooth sailing and I love STEM subjects but I am HORRIBLE at math (I know right) so here's to hoping!! My backup plan is art, I'm practicing 3D animation on the side but man is the industry looking bleak right now
Aiming for a geology degree in hopes of pursuing a career paleontology or oceanography. I hope to make it through it, so far its been smooth sailing and I love STEM subjects but I am HORRIBLE at math (I know right) so here's to hoping!! My backup plan is art, I'm practicing 3D animation on the side but man is the industry looking bleak right now
sketch1701375869612.png
I'm a journalism/criminal justice duel major! It's been...uhh....an experience;;

For additional clarification, my specialty in journalism is what I'd call media production (think stuff like tv news or documentaries) and that basically requires insane amounts of film experience as well. Career wise, I hope to work on long-form reporting, such as projects that take like 3-10 years to complete, that sort of thing (I'm actually working on something similar right now! Keeping quiet about it since searching it up would expose my identity, lol - just know it'll release November 2024.)

the only downside is that i do not envy my schedule. i have like 3 things to report by next wednesday and i will be dragging around equipment for majority of the weekend ;-;
I'm a journalism/criminal justice duel major! It's been...uhh....an experience;;

For additional clarification, my specialty in journalism is what I'd call media production (think stuff like tv news or documentaries) and that basically requires insane amounts of film experience as well. Career wise, I hope to work on long-form reporting, such as projects that take like 3-10 years to complete, that sort of thing (I'm actually working on something similar right now! Keeping quiet about it since searching it up would expose my identity, lol - just know it'll release November 2024.)

the only downside is that i do not envy my schedule. i have like 3 things to report by next wednesday and i will be dragging around equipment for majority of the weekend ;-;
1 2 3 4 5 6 7