Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Merge all gene scrolls - hear me out
1 2
Quote:
Ancient Plans
With the release of our 6th breed we wanted to touch base with everyone and discuss some of the challenges that Ancient breeds have presented—namely that each ancient requires a unique gene scroll item. The release of so many gene items has created item lists that are difficult to search and navigate, and many variants of each gene to hunt for.

Our engineers are hard at work on the achievements system and the site refactor; down the line we plan to address the Ancient gene influx, particularly in the Marketplace, Auction House, Scrying Workshop, and across site activities. We wanted to acknowledge the issue and your feedback about how this is negatively impacting your ability to navigate and find the genes you want, as this is one that will continue to grow with each ancient breed.

If you have suggestions regarding the sorting and aquisition of ancient genes, please post them to the Suggestions forum, as they will be more difficult to find if posted to an announcement topic.
I feel, the best way to deal with the hefty amount of different gene scrolls due to the ancients would be to merge all gene scrolls for ancients & normal dragons into a single scroll for each gene type. So rather than having a "Fade Primary Gene" separate for ancients & normals, it would be one scroll.

Now we're all used to the ancient genes being a little less expensive in the gem shop, can we merge all & then do a small price reduction on gem genes? We have so many now, surely it can't be so big of a hit to reduce the price a little during this proposed merging, right?

What if a user buys a gene & it's not applicable to the ancient they wanted it for? Generally, we all use the "Predict Morphology" tool before we buy a gene right? Plus, genes will hold their value MUCH better if you bought it on accident now. Ancients are also already specifically marked all around the site because they are different. There may be SOME small confusion to newer players, but I ultimately believe it's simple enough for those that end up sticking around.

What about genes that are specific to only one breed of ancient? I have a couple of ideas. Keep the breed name in the ancient specific scrolls AND/OR keep the small circle portrait that shows which ancient breed it's for.
Quote:
Ancient Plans
With the release of our 6th breed we wanted to touch base with everyone and discuss some of the challenges that Ancient breeds have presented—namely that each ancient requires a unique gene scroll item. The release of so many gene items has created item lists that are difficult to search and navigate, and many variants of each gene to hunt for.

Our engineers are hard at work on the achievements system and the site refactor; down the line we plan to address the Ancient gene influx, particularly in the Marketplace, Auction House, Scrying Workshop, and across site activities. We wanted to acknowledge the issue and your feedback about how this is negatively impacting your ability to navigate and find the genes you want, as this is one that will continue to grow with each ancient breed.

If you have suggestions regarding the sorting and aquisition of ancient genes, please post them to the Suggestions forum, as they will be more difficult to find if posted to an announcement topic.
I feel, the best way to deal with the hefty amount of different gene scrolls due to the ancients would be to merge all gene scrolls for ancients & normal dragons into a single scroll for each gene type. So rather than having a "Fade Primary Gene" separate for ancients & normals, it would be one scroll.

Now we're all used to the ancient genes being a little less expensive in the gem shop, can we merge all & then do a small price reduction on gem genes? We have so many now, surely it can't be so big of a hit to reduce the price a little during this proposed merging, right?

What if a user buys a gene & it's not applicable to the ancient they wanted it for? Generally, we all use the "Predict Morphology" tool before we buy a gene right? Plus, genes will hold their value MUCH better if you bought it on accident now. Ancients are also already specifically marked all around the site because they are different. There may be SOME small confusion to newer players, but I ultimately believe it's simple enough for those that end up sticking around.

What about genes that are specific to only one breed of ancient? I have a couple of ideas. Keep the breed name in the ancient specific scrolls AND/OR keep the small circle portrait that shows which ancient breed it's for.
Hawkeyyee_FR_bounce.gif
No support for consolidating modern and ancient genes. Ancient genes are cheaper because you cannot dress ancient dragons and therefore the only customisation left is geneing and accents.

I also don't like how this would end up as a half-baked confusing mess with some scrolls applying for all dragon species, while the unique genes are left as is.
No support for consolidating modern and ancient genes. Ancient genes are cheaper because you cannot dress ancient dragons and therefore the only customisation left is geneing and accents.

I also don't like how this would end up as a half-baked confusing mess with some scrolls applying for all dragon species, while the unique genes are left as is.
by-knighterrant.png
[quote name="Anchoram" date="2023-03-22 09:41:46" ] No support for consolidating modern and ancient genes. Ancient genes are cheaper because you cannot dress ancient dragons and therefore the only customisation left is geneing and accents. [/quote] Honestly hadn't looked at it from that angle, good point.
Anchoram wrote on 2023-03-22 09:41:46:

Honestly hadn't looked at it from that angle, good point.
Hawkeyyee_FR_bounce.gif
I mean I can understand your viewpoint, something simply as:

Tertiary Gene: Underbelly - Modern breed Price
-drop down menu here-
Banescale
Gaoler
Veilspun
Abberation

And you could select from the individual breeds, thus the price would change to reflect the ancient price. If i was proficient in software editing I'd do a mockup of sorts.
I mean I can understand your viewpoint, something simply as:

Tertiary Gene: Underbelly - Modern breed Price
-drop down menu here-
Banescale
Gaoler
Veilspun
Abberation

And you could select from the individual breeds, thus the price would change to reflect the ancient price. If i was proficient in software editing I'd do a mockup of sorts.
eppAZHY.png
What if instead of consolidating all breeds in one, it was split between 1 Ancient and 1 Modern gene scroll? Maybe in the description the ancient gene could say which genes it would apply to. I also think @subuwu 's idea is a simple but effective one.
What if instead of consolidating all breeds in one, it was split between 1 Ancient and 1 Modern gene scroll? Maybe in the description the ancient gene could say which genes it would apply to. I also think @subuwu 's idea is a simple but effective one.

bannerart_2021.png
What I was personally thinking of (in consideration of the price differences) is something like this:
-One scroll for all modern breeds
-One scroll for all ancient breeds
-One Breed-specific scroll for genes that are unique to that breed.

Since the parallel genes are not necessarily applicable to every single ancient breed, I figured this could be resolved by simply adding that info in the little box you get when you hover over an item. (So if you hover over the item, it could say some additional line genre "Applicable to: -breed 1-, -breed 2-, ..."
What I was personally thinking of (in consideration of the price differences) is something like this:

Since the parallel genes are not necessarily applicable to every single ancient breed, I figured this could be resolved by simply adding that info in the little box you get when you hover over an item. (So if you hover over the item, it could say some additional line genre "Applicable to: -breed 1-, -breed 2-, ..."
CEMkO7t.png gifYPqJ.png
One issue we might run into with the drop down menu would be running out of time to buy that item. Maybe the team could release a lot more of the shared genes to compensate for that? I know how fast paced the marketplace can be, especially when festival skins were limited and bought there.
One issue we might run into with the drop down menu would be running out of time to buy that item. Maybe the team could release a lot more of the shared genes to compensate for that? I know how fast paced the marketplace can be, especially when festival skins were limited and bought there.
[quote name="Piratewolfie" date="2023-03-22 11:02:18" ] What I was personally thinking of (in consideration of the price differences) is something like this: -One scroll for all modern breeds -One scroll for all ancient breeds -One Breed-specific scroll for genes that are unique to that breed. Since the parallel genes are not necessarily applicable to every single ancient breed, I figured this could be resolved by simply adding that info in the little box you get when you hover over an item. (So if you hover over the item, it could say some additional line genre "Applicable to: -breed 1-, -breed 2-, ..." [/quote] Honestly I like this idea the most of any. I can also get behind just consolidating the Ancient genes, but I feel like this would significantly impact both the Marketplace and the database for the better--easier to find what you're looking for, reduces the value lost from misclicks, makes all genes in your hoard more valuable, and lightens the load on the servers from all the extra items and data.
Piratewolfie wrote on 2023-03-22 11:02:18:

Honestly I like this idea the most of any. I can also get behind just consolidating the Ancient genes, but I feel like this would significantly impact both the Marketplace and the database for the better--easier to find what you're looking for, reduces the value lost from misclicks, makes all genes in your hoard more valuable, and lightens the load on the servers from all the extra items and data.
Lupine||Xb6XvIZ.pngomhr10R.pnglAvpyOQ.pngJ7D1quC.pngn29EMdP.png
food_bloody_snapdragon_by_dogi_crimson-dag65m2.gif
~~
Nature Worldbuilding/Lore
Writing/Lore Shop
???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please be gentle with me, I get stressed and anxious easily, and don't always pick up on meanings or social cues. I'm very detail-oriented & like to have all information possible before proceeding.
[quote name="Piratewolfie" date="2023-03-22 11:02:18" ] What I was personally thinking of (in consideration of the price differences) is something like this: -One scroll for all modern breeds -One scroll for all ancient breeds -One Breed-specific scroll for genes that are unique to that breed. Since the parallel genes are not necessarily applicable to every single ancient breed, I figured this could be resolved by simply adding that info in the little box you get when you hover over an item. (So if you hover over the item, it could say some additional line genre "Applicable to: -breed 1-, -breed 2-, ..." [/quote] Yeah, I like this idea too! From what I've seen so far, a lot of the community is leaning toward this option! I wanted to put out another option I thought was viable (& seemed more organized & simple to my brain, I understand others might not see it the same as me tho)
Piratewolfie wrote on 2023-03-22 11:02:18:

Yeah, I like this idea too! From what I've seen so far, a lot of the community is leaning toward this option! I wanted to put out another option I thought was viable (& seemed more organized & simple to my brain, I understand others might not see it the same as me tho)
Hawkeyyee_FR_bounce.gif
[quote name="Pocketdog" date="2023-03-22 12:14:57" ] ... I can also get behind just consolidating the Ancient genes, but I feel like this would significantly impact both the Marketplace and the database for the better--easier to find what you're looking for, reduces the value lost from misclicks, makes all genes in your hoard more valuable, and lightens the load on the servers from all the extra items and data. [/quote] Yes! That reasoning was exactly why I wanted to throw this idea out! Maybe I didn't word it quite right, but I'm glad someone see where I was was going with my idea <3
Pocketdog wrote on 2023-03-22 12:14:57:

... I can also get behind just consolidating the Ancient genes, but I feel like this would significantly impact both the Marketplace and the database for the better--easier to find what you're looking for, reduces the value lost from misclicks, makes all genes in your hoard more valuable, and lightens the load on the servers from all the extra items and data.

Yes! That reasoning was exactly why I wanted to throw this idea out! Maybe I didn't word it quite right, but I'm glad someone see where I was was going with my idea <3
Hawkeyyee_FR_bounce.gif
1 2