Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | +Col Accessibility for Visually Impaired
1 2 3 4
[center][size=7][b]Issues & Suggestions For Coliseum Captcha [/b][/size][/center]----- [center][color=gray][size=4][b]EDIT: A lot of replies have mentioned this, so I'm revising a little! I hadn't fully considered the issues with the 'click and drag' proposal, so that idea is being archived at the bottom of the page. Aside from obvious issues for everyone on mobile, these can be challenging for people with things such as issues with fine motor skills, so going from one inaccessible captcha to another is not really going to fix much. Here's a good explanation for that, and @JaneBuzJane provided a good educational link that elaborates! [quote name="JaneBuzJane" date="2021-11-10 11:54:52" ] [quote name="Ralzakark" date="2021-11-10 07:20:38" ] i definitely agree that the captcha should be changed, [b]but[/b] i can say at least that the click and drag option is not very good alternative, because its not accessible at all for people like me who have fine motor control issues. [/quote] Came here hoping someone would have pointed this out! Functions that can only be solved/completed via path-based gestures [url=https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/pointer-gestures.html]are not accessible[/url]. I fully support making Coli captchas accessible! And I support all options proposed by OP except for the clicking and dragging one (unless you could use the keyboard, switch input, etc. to 'slide" the thing you're meant to drag!). [/quote] [quote name="Ralzakark" date="2021-11-10 07:20:38" ] i definitely agree that the captcha should be changed, [b]but[/b] i can say at least that the click and drag option is not very good alternative, because its not accessible at all for people like me who have fine motor control issues. i struggle a lot with sliders that require any kind of precision because my hand movements are jerky when doing small and careful movement, and sometimes my fingers spasms resulting to me unintentionally releasing mouse button. so unless its going to be massive and symbols placed so that its not possible to accidentally select wrong one if you release mouse prematurely, it definitely would easily result to me getting locked out of coliseum [emoji=spiral sad size=1] [/quote] [center][color=gray][size=4][b]I think some of my other ideas may work, and there has also been a lot of brilliant proposals in the replies! My favs/most common suggestions are being able to choose between multiple types of captchas, since every captcha will be somewhat inaccessible to a specific population. Also, making sure the captcha can be completed somehow via keyboard! [quote name="Jemadar" date="2021-11-02 17:03:48" ] To be honest, I think the best solution would be to have multiple captchas, so that people can pick the one that is best for them. Still need to have a captcha, but, for instance, those who need audio can have audio captchas, those that are color blind can have one that works for color blindness, and so on... [/quote] [quote name="squidragon" date="2021-11-11 17:37:32" ] Support for some alteration to the captcha, it's just really difficult for a lot of people. I don't struggle with seeing it, but I struggle with navigating to the dragon to click on it. I often "miss" when trying to click on it. I would prefer if it din't require any dragging though, since as someone who has issues with my hands, I wouldn't be able to do something like that. I also really really struggle with hover menus because I don't have the coordination required to do them without accidentally unhovering. (Though being able to use keyboard to move it around would make it so I could do it. I much prefer sites that let me keyboard navigate through the whole thing.) The coli keyboard controls were a godsend that make it so I cna actually coli at all, so I'd love to see some... kind of captcha I could do with keyboard as well... [/quote] [center][color=gray][size=4][b]There is also a lot of people mentioning that they struggle with the captcha significantly and they do not have any sort of visual impairments, which makes this an even bigger issue imo. If even people with healthy sight & processing are struggling I'd imagine this is a fairly universal struggle, that needs to be fixed. Any other replies I'd like to highlight will go here, then the original post starts! [quote name="smeen" date="2021-11-08 13:44:49" ] I will once again support a suggestion to make Coli captchas more user friendly because I am visually impaired and struggling with a captcha that is unnecessarily hard. Man this has been going on for years and it doesn't make the game look good that it has been an issue for this long. [/quote] [quote name="JonSnOwO" date="2021-11-10 09:43:26" ] Full support for a more accessible captcha. I'm over 40 and my eyes aren't what they used to be and one of the reasons why I don't coli like I used to is because of the freaking captcha. You don't even need to be an old fart with tired eyes like me to have trouble with it. I get why the captcha exists but there's some severe accessibility issues with the "pick the dragon" captcha so we definitely could use multiple versions to meet different needs. [/quote] [quote name="Roxas1314" date="2021-11-11 16:23:05" ] I think my least favorite part of spending time looking and trying to find the dragon is clicking the dragon, knowing I definitely picked the dragon, and it still fails. They're already difficult to find with my visual impairments. I'd much rather have these accessible captchas!!! [/quote] [center][color=gray][size=4][b]ORIGINAL POST: This is a relatively small aspect of the game, but one that's caused me a lot of annoyance. I do not have visual impairments in my eyes, but I do have some issue with visual processing caused by my brain, and that makes the coliseum captcha a massive inconvenience. I can't speak on behalf of those who are colorblind, have poor vision, etc. but I can imagine it's frustrating for them too, not to mention people who have far worse visual processing issues than I do. Obviously when it comes to accessibility and accommodation it's never going to be perfect, there's no realistic way to make everything work perfect for every disability or inconvenience, but I do think this is an easy fix that could improve coliseum grinding for many people. The main issue is that when I look at the captcha, 90% of the time it just looks like colorful noise. I rely on trying to at least identify sillhouette features that stand out (wings, tails, etc.) but those are often familiars or something, whereas I can't process and 'see' the actual dragons.[/b][/size][/center] ----- [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905224214032810064/slide_1.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905224216117407794/slide_2.png[/img] ----- [center][color=gray][size=4][b]I appreciate that I am given several attempts to complete the captcha, but I've still been locked out of the coliseum from repeated fails. I also appreciate the thought behind the 'zoom' feature, but it's not any better for me as it doesn't have a higher resolution, it's the same confusing somewhat blurry image, just with bigger pixels. [/b][/size][/center] ----- [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905224218394918923/slide_3.png[/img] [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905224221226045481/slide_4.png[/img] ----- [center][color=gray][size=4][b]The main theme for all the ideas I have are captchas not relying on detailed processing, good vision, or color, but still keeping the original intent of preventing people from using bots to grind. Idea 1 was simple equations written in word form, though it may still be fairly easy to teach a bot to detect and solve those. Idea 2 is identifying a specified object in a simpler way than the current captcha, hopefully using wording and positioning to make bot training more difficult.[/b][/size] [/center] ----- [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905224223478407168/slide_5.png[/img] [center][color=gray][size=4][b]There's no perfect solution, especially with smart bots becoming more accessible to the general public. It's a balancing act of ease/simplicity of captcha (good for users) but enough complexity to fool bots. I do think though that accessibility for potentially a wide demographic should be prioritized, and I think a changed captcha system would be appreciated! Thanks to any reading, I hope this made sense lol, if you have any additional suggestions/counter-arguments/questions I'm open to whatever! [/b][/size][/center] [b][color=red]ARCHIVED: (I've changed my mind on this idea, as it was not nearly as accessible as I'd imagined.)[/b] ----- [center][i][color=darkgray][size=4][b]"My best idea, though, involves a 'click and drag' mechanic, which can be difficult for bots to learn and use to my knowledge. You could give a simple drag and drop prompt, as I've roughly animated below, that is easier for a larger number of people to solve, while keeping it very difficult for bots to solve."[/b][/size][/center] ----- [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/508361192830533633/905230480994099220/duo_gif_fast.gif[/img] -----
Issues & Suggestions For Coliseum Captcha

EDIT: A lot of replies have mentioned this, so I'm revising a little! I hadn't fully considered the issues with the 'click and drag' proposal, so that idea is being archived at the bottom of the page. Aside from obvious issues for everyone on mobile, these can be challenging for people with things such as issues with fine motor skills, so going from one inaccessible captcha to another is not really going to fix much.

Here's a good explanation for that, and @JaneBuzJane provided a good educational link that elaborates!
JaneBuzJane wrote on 2021-11-10 11:54:52:
Ralzakark wrote on 2021-11-10 07:20:38:
i definitely agree that the captcha should be changed, but i can say at least that the click and drag option is not very good alternative, because its not accessible at all for people like me who have fine motor control issues.

Came here hoping someone would have pointed this out! Functions that can only be solved/completed via path-based gestures are not accessible.

I fully support making Coli captchas accessible! And I support all options proposed by OP except for the clicking and dragging one (unless you could use the keyboard, switch input, etc. to 'slide" the thing you're meant to drag!).
Ralzakark wrote on 2021-11-10 07:20:38:
i definitely agree that the captcha should be changed, but i can say at least that the click and drag option is not very good alternative, because its not accessible at all for people like me who have fine motor control issues.

i struggle a lot with sliders that require any kind of precision because my hand movements are jerky when doing small and careful movement, and sometimes my fingers spasms resulting to me unintentionally releasing mouse button. so unless its going to be massive and symbols placed so that its not possible to accidentally select wrong one if you release mouse prematurely, it definitely would easily result to me getting locked out of coliseum
I think some of my other ideas may work, and there has also been a lot of brilliant proposals in the replies! My favs/most common suggestions are being able to choose between multiple types of captchas, since every captcha will be somewhat inaccessible to a specific population. Also, making sure the captcha can be completed somehow via keyboard!

Jemadar wrote on 2021-11-02 17:03:48:
To be honest, I think the best solution would be to have multiple captchas, so that people can pick the one that is best for them. Still need to have a captcha, but, for instance, those who need audio can have audio captchas, those that are color blind can have one that works for color blindness, and so on...
squidragon wrote on 2021-11-11 17:37:32:
Support for some alteration to the captcha, it's just really difficult for a lot of people. I don't struggle with seeing it, but I struggle with navigating to the dragon to click on it. I often "miss" when trying to click on it.

I would prefer if it din't require any dragging though, since as someone who has issues with my hands, I wouldn't be able to do something like that. I also really really struggle with hover menus because I don't have the coordination required to do them without accidentally unhovering. (Though being able to use keyboard to move it around would make it so I could do it. I much prefer sites that let me keyboard navigate through the whole thing.) The coli keyboard controls were a godsend that make it so I cna actually coli at all, so I'd love to see some... kind of captcha I could do with keyboard as well...
There is also a lot of people mentioning that they struggle with the captcha significantly and they do not have any sort of visual impairments, which makes this an even bigger issue imo. If even people with healthy sight & processing are struggling I'd imagine this is a fairly universal struggle, that needs to be fixed.

Any other replies I'd like to highlight will go here, then the original post starts!
smeen wrote on 2021-11-08 13:44:49:
I will once again support a suggestion to make Coli captchas more user friendly because I am visually impaired and struggling with a captcha that is unnecessarily hard.

Man this has been going on for years and it doesn't make the game look good that it has been an issue for this long.
JonSnOwO wrote on 2021-11-10 09:43:26:
Full support for a more accessible captcha. I'm over 40 and my eyes aren't what they used to be and one of the reasons why I don't coli like I used to is because of the freaking captcha. You don't even need to be an old fart with tired eyes like me to have trouble with it. I get why the captcha exists but there's some severe accessibility issues with the "pick the dragon" captcha so we definitely could use multiple versions to meet different needs.
Roxas1314 wrote on 2021-11-11 16:23:05:
I think my least favorite part of spending time looking and trying to find the dragon is clicking the dragon, knowing I definitely picked the dragon, and it still fails. They're already difficult to find with my visual impairments. I'd much rather have these accessible captchas!!!

ORIGINAL POST: This is a relatively small aspect of the game, but one that's caused me a lot of annoyance. I do not have visual impairments in my eyes, but I do have some issue with visual processing caused by my brain, and that makes the coliseum captcha a massive inconvenience. I can't speak on behalf of those who are colorblind, have poor vision, etc. but I can imagine it's frustrating for them too, not to mention people who have far worse visual processing issues than I do.

Obviously when it comes to accessibility and accommodation it's never going to be perfect, there's no realistic way to make everything work perfect for every disability or inconvenience, but I do think this is an easy fix that could improve coliseum grinding for many people.

The main issue is that when I look at the captcha, 90% of the time it just looks like colorful noise. I rely on trying to at least identify sillhouette features that stand out (wings, tails, etc.) but those are often familiars or something, whereas I can't process and 'see' the actual dragons.

slide_1.png
slide_2.png

I appreciate that I am given several attempts to complete the captcha, but I've still been locked out of the coliseum from repeated fails. I also appreciate the thought behind the 'zoom' feature, but it's not any better for me as it doesn't have a higher resolution, it's the same confusing somewhat blurry image, just with bigger pixels.

slide_3.png
slide_4.png

The main theme for all the ideas I have are captchas not relying on detailed processing, good vision, or color, but still keeping the original intent of preventing people from using bots to grind. Idea 1 was simple equations written in word form, though it may still be fairly easy to teach a bot to detect and solve those. Idea 2 is identifying a specified object in a simpler way than the current captcha, hopefully using wording and positioning to make bot training more difficult.

slide_5.png
There's no perfect solution, especially with smart bots becoming more accessible to the general public. It's a balancing act of ease/simplicity of captcha (good for users) but enough complexity to fool bots. I do think though that accessibility for potentially a wide demographic should be prioritized, and I think a changed captcha system would be appreciated! Thanks to any reading, I hope this made sense lol, if you have any additional suggestions/counter-arguments/questions I'm open to whatever!

ARCHIVED: (I've changed my mind on this idea, as it was not nearly as accessible as I'd imagined.)

"My best idea, though, involves a 'click and drag' mechanic, which can be difficult for bots to learn and use to my knowledge. You could give a simple drag and drop prompt, as I've roughly animated below, that is easier for a larger number of people to solve, while keeping it very difficult for bots to solve."

duo_gif_fast.gif

hi
Yes, this’d be lovely!! Though I’d be somewhat concerned for mobile users such as myself. Some scrolling captchas don’t always register on my phone or iPad, so of course the scroller would need to work on mobile

However the problem with that is that your device can just register that as normal scrolling, even if the scroller is designed for mobile users, overall making the process tedious for those away from a computer. I’d say the worded captchas would be a better solution, hell you could make it fr themed by using

“Click the ORANGE GUARDIAN dragon”
Option A: orange guardian dragon head
Option B: greentundra fullbody
Option C: straight up orange buttersnake
Option D: blue guardian halfbody

Or something along those lines
Yes, this’d be lovely!! Though I’d be somewhat concerned for mobile users such as myself. Some scrolling captchas don’t always register on my phone or iPad, so of course the scroller would need to work on mobile

However the problem with that is that your device can just register that as normal scrolling, even if the scroller is designed for mobile users, overall making the process tedious for those away from a computer. I’d say the worded captchas would be a better solution, hell you could make it fr themed by using

“Click the ORANGE GUARDIAN dragon”
Option A: orange guardian dragon head
Option B: greentundra fullbody
Option C: straight up orange buttersnake
Option D: blue guardian halfbody

Or something along those lines
pTjbLr0.png
Bingo
They/Them
+8 FRT
My username is RBG, not RGB
HotnSpicy’s Beauty Tips and Tricks
[nextcol]Blank blank blank[nextcol]blank blank blank[nextcol]
@fattycatty ah true, i'd completely forgotten about mobile!

I think you're right that the worded prompts may be the easiest, though making sure it's accessible at least to common formes of colourblindness, since we don't wanna solve one issue by causing another haha.
@fattycatty ah true, i'd completely forgotten about mobile!

I think you're right that the worded prompts may be the easiest, though making sure it's accessible at least to common formes of colourblindness, since we don't wanna solve one issue by causing another haha.
hi
[quote name="@Tarakonah" date="2021-11-02 16:47:10" ] @/fattycatty ah true, i'd completely forgotten about mobile! I think you're right that the worded prompts may be the easiest, though making sure it's accessible at least to common formes of colourblindness, since we don't wanna solve one issue by causing another haha. [/quote] Good point, instead of color it could potentially be patterns? Though that can also step on the toes of the visually impaired… using large stripes and polka dots can be a choice but if the image is randomly generated there’s a chance the pattern could be misplaced. I have zero idea what it’s like having visual impairment so please correct me if I’m wrong in the patterns being a better option. If you use the same layout you posted previously, with the triangles and the boxes, that would be a charming enough Captcha to not off-put someone at the sight of it. It’s straightforward enough instead of the current one (honestly, initially I didn’t know I was meant to look for a dragon. I thought I was getting a prize lmao)
@Tarakonah wrote on 2021-11-02 16:47:10:
@/fattycatty ah true, i'd completely forgotten about mobile!

Good point, instead of color it could potentially be patterns? Though that can also step on the toes of the visually impaired… using large stripes and polka dots can be a choice but if the image is randomly generated there’s a chance the pattern could be misplaced. I have zero idea what it’s like having visual impairment so please correct me if I’m wrong in the patterns being a better option.

If you use the same layout you posted previously, with the triangles and the boxes, that would be a charming enough Captcha to not off-put someone at the sight of it. It’s straightforward enough instead of the current one (honestly, initially I didn’t know I was meant to look for a dragon. I thought I was getting a prize lmao)
pTjbLr0.png
Bingo
They/Them
+8 FRT
My username is RBG, not RGB
HotnSpicy’s Beauty Tips and Tricks
[nextcol]Blank blank blank[nextcol]blank blank blank[nextcol]
To be honest, I think the best solution would be to have multiple captchas, so that people can pick the one that is best for them. Still need to have a captcha, but, for instance, those who need audio can have audio captchas, those that are color blind can have one that works for color blindness, and so on...

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
there's literally so many ways they could tweak the current captcha to be easier on visually impaired users and the fact that they haven't in all this time is appalling. I support any fix.
there's literally so many ways they could tweak the current captcha to be easier on visually impaired users and the fact that they haven't in all this time is appalling. I support any fix.
Don't most captchas these days work by tracking your mouse movement / taps to see how organic they are? Really if they want something visually accessible they should use that technology, shouldn't they? Or at least in combination with a clearly visible, simple question.
Don't most captchas these days work by tracking your mouse movement / taps to see how organic they are? Really if they want something visually accessible they should use that technology, shouldn't they? Or at least in combination with a clearly visible, simple question.
AbwaPSg.png
xxxxx xrdZoYH.pngOxagJgG.pngmxZJBlR.png
Q0p4QGz.png1j2YGao.pngLvsm6NG.png
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
dEo6ta2.png
nWiQNX9.png
Support. Please. I've gotten better at guessing through process of elimination, but some of them.. the dragons are the same exact colours [i][b]and patterns[/b][/i]as the background. It's to the point where I have a whole discord channel with a compilation of "what the heck" captchas. I'm convinced they do this on purpose with how often that happens [emoji=spiral deadpan size=1]
Support. Please. I've gotten better at guessing through process of elimination, but some of them.. the dragons are the same exact colours and patternsas the background. It's to the point where I have a whole discord channel with a compilation of "what the heck" captchas. I'm convinced they do this on purpose with how often that happens
AutisticMaveriqueNonbinary, They/Them
SystemOtherkinFurry
This is an exalting lair
In addition to being more accessible to the visually impaired, this'd also be much more friendly to brand new users! I remember trying to get my brother into the game through the coli, and he'd get really frustrated at the captchas because he hadn't yet memorized the appearances of the (at the time) 14+ breeds, times three poses, and a bajillion genes. How's a newbie supposed to know that a Spirit Armor or a cursed bat are not dragons, but a skydancer is? Or that a spiral- essentially a snake with wings- is a dragon, but an amphithere (also a snake with wings) is somehow not included in that taxonomical group?
In addition to being more accessible to the visually impaired, this'd also be much more friendly to brand new users! I remember trying to get my brother into the game through the coli, and he'd get really frustrated at the captchas because he hadn't yet memorized the appearances of the (at the time) 14+ breeds, times three poses, and a bajillion genes. How's a newbie supposed to know that a Spirit Armor or a cursed bat are not dragons, but a skydancer is? Or that a spiral- essentially a snake with wings- is a dragon, but an amphithere (also a snake with wings) is somehow not included in that taxonomical group?
ZqzSvdM.pngtp1Axxm.pngISNOTMS.png
I love the simple math based solution and have suggested it myself in the past. One website I use is in a foreign language that I can't read a single word of. But it uses math based captchas--and I can read and process those! So not only does math based captchas help with visibility, but also with English as a second language too.
I love the simple math based solution and have suggested it myself in the past. One website I use is in a foreign language that I can't read a single word of. But it uses math based captchas--and I can read and process those! So not only does math based captchas help with visibility, but also with English as a second language too.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
1 2 3 4