Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Un-Retire Familiars + Items
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[quote name="Sinornis" date="2021-02-10 19:04:56" ] I know I'm in the minority here but I actually do support year 1-3 fest items being added to joxars. The inconsistency makes absolutely no sense at all, period. [/quote] The Flight Rising team had to learn along the way, that's why the first years are inconsistent. Like the botched rollout of the Bear familiars that are still worth less than the familiars that came the year after. but it's still like... even though they made mistakes and things run smoother now, it's a bit late to change. Like what if everyone got Akirbeaks again for a random downtime? After so long of it being rare. That would upset some things. Functionally, you're not missing out on anything except a few treasure a day, which you could get from Fiona. The only reason these items get focus is because of prestige, and if they got more common they would lose that along with messing things up for everyone. personally I feel there should be more retired items so newer users could get in on earning multiples and being able to sell them for 60kg in a few years.
Sinornis wrote on 2021-02-10 19:04:56:
I know I'm in the minority here but I actually do support year 1-3 fest items being added to joxars. The inconsistency makes absolutely no sense at all, period.

The Flight Rising team had to learn along the way, that's why the first years are inconsistent. Like the botched rollout of the Bear familiars that are still worth less than the familiars that came the year after.

but it's still like... even though they made mistakes and things run smoother now, it's a bit late to change. Like what if everyone got Akirbeaks again for a random downtime? After so long of it being rare. That would upset some things.

Functionally, you're not missing out on anything except a few treasure a day, which you could get from Fiona. The only reason these items get focus is because of prestige, and if they got more common they would lose that along with messing things up for everyone.

personally I feel there should be more retired items so newer users could get in on earning multiples and being able to sell them for 60kg in a few years.
[quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-02-10 19:34:56" ] [quote name="Sinornis" date="2021-02-10 19:04:56" ] I know I'm in the minority here but I actually do support year 1-3 fest items being added to joxars. The inconsistency makes absolutely no sense at all, period. [/quote] The Flight Rising team had to learn along the way, that's why the first years are inconsistent. Like the botched rollout of the Bear familiars that are still worth less than the familiars that came the year after. but it's still like... even though they made mistakes and things run smoother now, it's a bit late to change. Like what if everyone got Akirbeaks again for a random downtime? After so long of it being rare. That would upset some things. [/quote] I mean, arguably if anything, the recent fix with the bears proves that it's never "too late" to try to correct a past mistake. I don't think the fact that the Devs have offered "one solution" (that doesn't actually fix the inconsistency) should preclude anybody from suggesting another. I feel as if the Akirbeak example is a bit unfair since Akirbeaks were downtime items, not Festival items, and would not be appropriate to be given out through Joxar (and OP wasn't asking for all items to unretire, just festival ones) . Besides, downtime items have already been offered as Roundsey prizes (and I'm pretty sure they're Dev-generated ones, not donations) so they're also technically "unretired" as well.
Crowbar wrote on 2021-02-10 19:34:56:
I know I'm in the minority here but I actually do support year 1-3 fest items being added to joxars. The inconsistency makes absolutely no sense at all, period.

The Flight Rising team had to learn along the way, that's why the first years are inconsistent. Like the botched rollout of the Bear familiars that are still worth less than the familiars that came the year after.

but it's still like... even though they made mistakes and things run smoother now, it's a bit late to change. Like what if everyone got Akirbeaks again for a random downtime? After so long of it being rare. That would upset some things.

I mean, arguably if anything, the recent fix with the bears proves that it's never "too late" to try to correct a past mistake. I don't think the fact that the Devs have offered "one solution" (that doesn't actually fix the inconsistency) should preclude anybody from suggesting another.

I feel as if the Akirbeak example is a bit unfair since Akirbeaks were downtime items, not Festival items, and would not be appropriate to be given out through Joxar (and OP wasn't asking for all items to unretire, just festival ones) . Besides, downtime items have already been offered as Roundsey prizes (and I'm pretty sure they're Dev-generated ones, not donations) so they're also technically "unretired" as well.
PeoMDYF.pngUxsWBSZ.png
Honestly, at this point we have 932 familiars, only 22 of which are retired festival. That's 2% of familiars. 11 already have both recolors and corresponding set of similar-looking fest fams and other 11 are affordable.
3 sets of big apparel, most of which either has recolors or is still affordable.
2 sets of small apparel that's also still affordable.

All of those appear in Roundsey.

In reality there are maybe less than 30 fest items overall that cost over 1kg, and only 5 or so cost more than 10 kg. I think having a few big goals isn't that bad, especially seeing as they're not gamebreaking and easily avoided, if needed.
Honestly, at this point we have 932 familiars, only 22 of which are retired festival. That's 2% of familiars. 11 already have both recolors and corresponding set of similar-looking fest fams and other 11 are affordable.
3 sets of big apparel, most of which either has recolors or is still affordable.
2 sets of small apparel that's also still affordable.

All of those appear in Roundsey.

In reality there are maybe less than 30 fest items overall that cost over 1kg, and only 5 or so cost more than 10 kg. I think having a few big goals isn't that bad, especially seeing as they're not gamebreaking and easily avoided, if needed.
If we really wanted to solve inconsistencies, the real solution would be to go back to retirements, not unretire everything,

Retiring everything would encourage people to...you know, actually consider the festival a little more than we currently do.
If we really wanted to solve inconsistencies, the real solution would be to go back to retirements, not unretire everything,

Retiring everything would encourage people to...you know, actually consider the festival a little more than we currently do.
[quote]They added them to Roundsey to stop people whining about them being retired.[/quote] We weren't whining but go off i guess
Quote:
They added them to Roundsey to stop people whining about them being retired.

We weren't whining but go off i guess
DVcXRyP.png
[quote name="Apocalyptichorse" date="2021-02-11 05:22:41" ] [quote]They added them to Roundsey to stop people whining about them being retired.[/quote] We weren't whining but go off i guess [/quote] not to mention roundsey prizes are more likely to go to those who can afford to dump tons and tons of treasure for her tickets, but go off i guess. at least with the joxbox things would be truly randomized.
Apocalyptichorse wrote on 2021-02-11 05:22:41:
Quote:
They added them to Roundsey to stop people whining about them being retired.

We weren't whining but go off i guess

not to mention roundsey prizes are more likely to go to those who can afford to dump tons and tons of treasure for her tickets, but go off i guess. at least with the joxbox things would be truly randomized.
899b13958bd8dd6201cfc8808fbe7689b2ce2e3d.png
FbBE7dN.png
bYt72YT.png
y2UYCzJ.png
a69iToJ.png
mlHpBMC.png
Ap2AjBP.gif
o090-d01-Sinornis.pngo090-d02-Sinornis.pngo090-d03-Sinornis.pngo090-d04-Sinornis.pngo090-d05-Sinornis.png
[quote name="Twizz" date="2021-02-11 04:41:52" ] [quote name="Crowbar" date="2021-02-10 19:34:56" ] [quote name="Sinornis" date="2021-02-10 19:04:56" ] I know I'm in the minority here but I actually do support year 1-3 fest items being added to joxars. The inconsistency makes absolutely no sense at all, period. [/quote] The Flight Rising team had to learn along the way, that's why the first years are inconsistent. Like the botched rollout of the Bear familiars that are still worth less than the familiars that came the year after. but it's still like... even though they made mistakes and things run smoother now, it's a bit late to change. Like what if everyone got Akirbeaks again for a random downtime? After so long of it being rare. That would upset some things. [/quote] I mean, arguably if anything, the recent fix with the bears proves that it's never "too late" to try to correct a past mistake. I don't think the fact that the Devs have offered "one solution" (that doesn't actually fix the inconsistency) should preclude anybody from suggesting another. I feel as if the Akirbeak example is a bit unfair since Akirbeaks were downtime items, not Festival items, and would not be appropriate to be given out through Joxar (and OP wasn't asking for all items to unretire, just festival ones) . Besides, downtime items have already been offered as Roundsey prizes (and I'm pretty sure they're Dev-generated ones, not donations) so they're also technically "unretired" as well. [/quote] I'm also in the boat that wants all the fest items to be put in Joxar's Spare Inventory. I didn't at first. At first I wanted everything to be retired. But things obviously didn't go that way, so now I just want everyone to have the same consideration. This is from the announcement for Joxar. [quote]New Blood: Flight Rising is entering its third year online. With each registration window, new players are welcomed onto the site. This is wonderful! However, with each month the site is online, 1 familiar, 2 apparel items, and 14 skins enter and leave circulation with the holidays alone. As time progresses, it becomes more and more difficult for new players to work on their collections or obtain older items. A player that joins our 5th year will not find that there's 100 items that will be forever out of reach, but over a thousand. Investment and Longevity: As we welcome new players into our world every registration window, the players who have been here for years are the ones to help us do that! These players have been around for the long-haul, and have actively participated in the events that yield rare and retired items. They've put in the time and effort, and can reasonably expect that this dedicated gameplay should yield some items that appreciate with time.[/quote] The way they're doing it now is [i]not[/i] for their long-haul players, but for their players that joined and played during a very specific and limited time frame. That is, Player 1 joined August 2013 and played five months. Player 2 joined in 2015 and is still playing today. Player 1 has items worth far more than Player 2 even though, by all accounts, Player 2 is the long-haul player, not Player 1. To make things equitable (not to mention [i]actually do what they said they'd do[/i]), either everything for all time had to retire, or everything needed to be put into the crate. Now that we have the crate, I don't think we're walking that back. All festival items should be in the crate. KS, downtime, and beta items are in a different category (because they're not festival items they don't belong in the Spare Inventory) and I don't really care about them so I won't comment. Downtime items should still be given when there's outages without warning, though not necessarily the same ones as before. Should beta testing ever come up again, I guess we'd need more beta test rewards? I don't know.
Twizz wrote on 2021-02-11 04:41:52:
Crowbar wrote on 2021-02-10 19:34:56:

I mean, arguably if anything, the recent fix with the bears proves that it's never "too late" to try to correct a past mistake. I don't think the fact that the Devs have offered "one solution" (that doesn't actually fix the inconsistency) should preclude anybody from suggesting another.

I feel as if the Akirbeak example is a bit unfair since Akirbeaks were downtime items, not Festival items, and would not be appropriate to be given out through Joxar (and OP wasn't asking for all items to unretire, just festival ones) . Besides, downtime items have already been offered as Roundsey prizes (and I'm pretty sure they're Dev-generated ones, not donations) so they're also technically "unretired" as well.
I'm also in the boat that wants all the fest items to be put in Joxar's Spare Inventory.

I didn't at first. At first I wanted everything to be retired. But things obviously didn't go that way, so now I just want everyone to have the same consideration. This is from the announcement for Joxar.
Quote:
New Blood:
Flight Rising is entering its third year online. With each registration window, new players are welcomed onto the site. This is wonderful! However, with each month the site is online, 1 familiar, 2 apparel items, and 14 skins enter and leave circulation with the holidays alone. As time progresses, it becomes more and more difficult for new players to work on their collections or obtain older items. A player that joins our 5th year will not find that there's 100 items that will be forever out of reach, but over a thousand.

Investment and Longevity:
As we welcome new players into our world every registration window, the players who have been here for years are the ones to help us do that! These players have been around for the long-haul, and have actively participated in the events that yield rare and retired items. They've put in the time and effort, and can reasonably expect that this dedicated gameplay should yield some items that appreciate with time.
The way they're doing it now is not for their long-haul players, but for their players that joined and played during a very specific and limited time frame. That is, Player 1 joined August 2013 and played five months. Player 2 joined in 2015 and is still playing today. Player 1 has items worth far more than Player 2 even though, by all accounts, Player 2 is the long-haul player, not Player 1.

To make things equitable (not to mention actually do what they said they'd do), either everything for all time had to retire, or everything needed to be put into the crate. Now that we have the crate, I don't think we're walking that back. All festival items should be in the crate.

KS, downtime, and beta items are in a different category (because they're not festival items they don't belong in the Spare Inventory) and I don't really care about them so I won't comment. Downtime items should still be given when there's outages without warning, though not necessarily the same ones as before. Should beta testing ever come up again, I guess we'd need more beta test rewards? I don't know.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Here is one issue with retiring items now and the inconsistencies.

Retiring items now, at this point in time, will not help newer players. Those items, unless they were *really* limited in ability to acquire them, are going to be very plentiful for a long time.

This is like the Neopets Advent Calendar. When I last cared about it, the prizes for it, even though they are unique, one per account and never given out again, are worthless. Why? Because, even if every person only got one (and no multiaccounting), there are just so many people claiming those gifts.

The same thing is happening here. There are just too many people playing FR to truly make retired items worth it, unless we are talking about 10+ years down the line.

That is the same issue with inconsistency. The Year 1 items, even if everything had gone off perfectly, would still be worht a lot more than Year 5, even if they both retired. Why? because were just more people around to obtain the year 5 items than there were year 1. (and this is discounting how much easier it is to make currency, and how many people from year 1 stopped playing while still owning potentially multiple copies of those items etc..)

This is why I have always supported moving away from the 'retired items to create artificial scarcity' model, and move towards a 'lets see how we can make items valuable while still keeping them available' model.

This is why I want to see more genes like Blossom. More consumable items that are desired, but not easy to obtain etc...

These would be things that newer players could actually obtain, like a rarer gathering gene, and sell for a bit of money, rather than having to guess what is going to be popular 10 years in the future.

I do agree that Roundsey is the compromise between 'retired items being retired' and 'making sure those retired items don't go extinct', though as others have said, it doesn't preclude the staff changing their minds and revising how they release those retired festival items.
Here is one issue with retiring items now and the inconsistencies.

Retiring items now, at this point in time, will not help newer players. Those items, unless they were *really* limited in ability to acquire them, are going to be very plentiful for a long time.

This is like the Neopets Advent Calendar. When I last cared about it, the prizes for it, even though they are unique, one per account and never given out again, are worthless. Why? Because, even if every person only got one (and no multiaccounting), there are just so many people claiming those gifts.

The same thing is happening here. There are just too many people playing FR to truly make retired items worth it, unless we are talking about 10+ years down the line.

That is the same issue with inconsistency. The Year 1 items, even if everything had gone off perfectly, would still be worht a lot more than Year 5, even if they both retired. Why? because were just more people around to obtain the year 5 items than there were year 1. (and this is discounting how much easier it is to make currency, and how many people from year 1 stopped playing while still owning potentially multiple copies of those items etc..)

This is why I have always supported moving away from the 'retired items to create artificial scarcity' model, and move towards a 'lets see how we can make items valuable while still keeping them available' model.

This is why I want to see more genes like Blossom. More consumable items that are desired, but not easy to obtain etc...

These would be things that newer players could actually obtain, like a rarer gathering gene, and sell for a bit of money, rather than having to guess what is going to be popular 10 years in the future.

I do agree that Roundsey is the compromise between 'retired items being retired' and 'making sure those retired items don't go extinct', though as others have said, it doesn't preclude the staff changing their minds and revising how they release those retired festival items.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]Retiring items now, at this point in time, will not help newer players. Those items, unless they were *really* limited in ability to acquire them, are going to be very plentiful for a long time.[/quote] Honestly? I don't care. There are too many people to make anything anybody who comes later able to earn anything that is worth something, but for that reason alone the inconsistency is worse. Even if an item was highly desired (the Light halos come to mind), it doesn't have a chance of becoming expensive, even over time. The people who have been playing for three years at that point (or, you know, however long, I just picked a number) still aren't given the same consideration. [i]Outcome doesn't matter[/i]. Treatment does. The staff really doesn't have much control over outcome. They do have control over how they treat everyone's limited-release items. Given the option, they're choosing to shaft some players.
Quote:
Honestly? I don't care.

There are too many people to make anything anybody who comes later able to earn anything that is worth something, but for that reason alone the inconsistency is worse. Even if an item was highly desired (the Light halos come to mind), it doesn't have a chance of becoming expensive, even over time. The people who have been playing for three years at that point (or, you know, however long, I just picked a number) still aren't given the same consideration.

Outcome doesn't matter. Treatment does. The staff really doesn't have much control over outcome. They do have control over how they treat everyone's limited-release items. Given the option, they're choosing to shaft some players.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2021-02-11 06:34:57" ] [quote]Retiring items now, at this point in time, will not help newer players. Those items, unless they were *really* limited in ability to acquire them, are going to be very plentiful for a long time.[/quote] Honestly? I don't care. There are too many people to make anything anybody who comes later able to earn anything that is worth something, but for that reason alone the inconsistency is worse. Even if an item was highly desired (the Light halos come to mind), it doesn't have a chance of becoming expensive, even over time. The people who have been playing for three years at that point (or, you know, however long, I just picked a number) still aren't given the same consideration. [i]Outcome doesn't matter[/i]. Treatment does. The staff really doesn't have much control over outcome. They do have control over how they treat everyone's limited-release items. Given the option, they're choosing to shaft some players. [/quote] oh, I agree, I was mainly talking about retiring items at that point, and that there would always have been an inconsistency in how much year one items were worth compared to other years even if all years had retired. I do agree that consistency is good, and I wouldn't care if they tossed all the year one stuff (and year two and three) into Joxars and just left any other 'limited run/retired/hard to obtain' items for roundsey.
Almedha wrote on 2021-02-11 06:34:57:
Quote:
Honestly? I don't care.

There are too many people to make anything anybody who comes later able to earn anything that is worth something, but for that reason alone the inconsistency is worse. Even if an item was highly desired (the Light halos come to mind), it doesn't have a chance of becoming expensive, even over time. The people who have been playing for three years at that point (or, you know, however long, I just picked a number) still aren't given the same consideration.

Outcome doesn't matter. Treatment does. The staff really doesn't have much control over outcome. They do have control over how they treat everyone's limited-release items. Given the option, they're choosing to shaft some players.
oh, I agree, I was mainly talking about retiring items at that point, and that there would always have been an inconsistency in how much year one items were worth compared to other years even if all years had retired.

I do agree that consistency is good, and I wouldn't care if they tossed all the year one stuff (and year two and three) into Joxars and just left any other 'limited run/retired/hard to obtain' items for roundsey.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7