Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Automatic feeding?
1 2 3
There are many other players who have other things to do with their lives, including work, family, school and a host of other things going on, but they still manage to either log in enough to keep their dragons fed, or they don't bother worrying about it because the dragons don't die.

The fact is, what a player puts into the game is what they get out. If you can't get online daily to feed your dragons, then your dragons go hungry. If you don't have five minutes a day/every other day to log on, that's okay, because the dragon's don't die, and clearly you prioritize other things. But, because you do prioritize other things, that means you won't get the same things from the game, one of which includes having your dragon's always fed.

As for your idea not hurting anything? No, it doesn't really 'hurt' anything, but online games are meant to be played daily. That is how they get their money. If they can get players to log on and view one page every day, that is better than players logging on every other day and viewing one page. (yes, the optimum is to have the players stay on the game and view multiple pages with multiple page refreshes), so something that would allow players who don't want to log in every day, but want their dragons fed, to simply be able to come on once a week or whatever, and click one button then forget about it? that isn't something a site wants to encourage. That is why most sites do have daily logon bonuses and streaks for logging in every day, because that is what earns them money.

I don't actively play Aywas much anymore, but, because of their streaks, I log on every day and click a few pages, which brings them money. That is better than me just forgetting aywas except for the occasional 'what is happening' check on the news, and then ultimately forgetting about aywas completely.

I am, in fact, glad that FR *doesn't* have streaks like Aywas and many other sites, and has a more casual 'well if you want your well fed bonus, log in at least every other day' (because I don't have to feed my dragons daily, I can let them go a day before I have to feed them) approach to the entire 'lets encourage people to log in as often as possible'

that is why I don't support the suggestion, not because I am offended, and I doubt there is anyone else who is offended either (which, to be honest, when someone pulls 'you don't have to be offended card' it sounds like *they* are the ones who are offended). I don't think it would be good for the site to encourage *fewer* logons, and thus don't think it is in the sites best interest to introduce 'auto-play' features to allow players to play without logging on.
There are many other players who have other things to do with their lives, including work, family, school and a host of other things going on, but they still manage to either log in enough to keep their dragons fed, or they don't bother worrying about it because the dragons don't die.

The fact is, what a player puts into the game is what they get out. If you can't get online daily to feed your dragons, then your dragons go hungry. If you don't have five minutes a day/every other day to log on, that's okay, because the dragon's don't die, and clearly you prioritize other things. But, because you do prioritize other things, that means you won't get the same things from the game, one of which includes having your dragon's always fed.

As for your idea not hurting anything? No, it doesn't really 'hurt' anything, but online games are meant to be played daily. That is how they get their money. If they can get players to log on and view one page every day, that is better than players logging on every other day and viewing one page. (yes, the optimum is to have the players stay on the game and view multiple pages with multiple page refreshes), so something that would allow players who don't want to log in every day, but want their dragons fed, to simply be able to come on once a week or whatever, and click one button then forget about it? that isn't something a site wants to encourage. That is why most sites do have daily logon bonuses and streaks for logging in every day, because that is what earns them money.

I don't actively play Aywas much anymore, but, because of their streaks, I log on every day and click a few pages, which brings them money. That is better than me just forgetting aywas except for the occasional 'what is happening' check on the news, and then ultimately forgetting about aywas completely.

I am, in fact, glad that FR *doesn't* have streaks like Aywas and many other sites, and has a more casual 'well if you want your well fed bonus, log in at least every other day' (because I don't have to feed my dragons daily, I can let them go a day before I have to feed them) approach to the entire 'lets encourage people to log in as often as possible'

that is why I don't support the suggestion, not because I am offended, and I doubt there is anyone else who is offended either (which, to be honest, when someone pulls 'you don't have to be offended card' it sounds like *they* are the ones who are offended). I don't think it would be good for the site to encourage *fewer* logons, and thus don't think it is in the sites best interest to introduce 'auto-play' features to allow players to play without logging on.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
@Jemadar you're not one of the people whose responses I was surprised by. I love to hear peoples' reasoning behind not supporting different suggestions because a lot of them sound good on paper, but not in practice. That's the beauty of the suggestions forum.

And you've made a lot of wonderful points! Any suggestion that may take away from the site's revenue is not something that I'm interested in either, which I think I mentioned in the OP. I realize that the site's devs and the site itself depend on this revenue.

It was certain users' phrasing that rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, I am a little offended by some comments! I do have feelings. The difference is that my original post was harmless and the things people are/were saying stung a little. I just wish people would be... idk, normal? Explain why they think something isn't a good idea instead of criticizing each other on a personal level? (Your responses are a perfect example of this and I appreciate it!)

I legitimately don't have time to log on daily and I'm aware that many other players are in the same boat, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place. I just don't like how obvious the low health bars are, to be completely honest with you. They're gaudy! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Previously, I was able to invest a lot of time and energy into the site every day and it bums me out to see evidence of my own absence on my dragons. My thought process was: could there be a way for busy players to reap the benefits of work they've previously put in, i.e. collecting food points, without exploiting the site? Maybe not, and that's okay. But it felt like people were jumping down my throat and I see that happening to a lot of people on the suggestions forum.

I don't like people implying that I'm lazy. Especially for something trivial like not prioritizing a pet sim. Maybe "offended" wasn't the right word, but a few people were acting like hypervigilant jerks. It's just a game at the end of the day and things are hard enough. We should all be nice to each other.

Again, I wasn't directing any of the "offended" comments to you because you didn't say anything rude at all.

@Jemadar you're not one of the people whose responses I was surprised by. I love to hear peoples' reasoning behind not supporting different suggestions because a lot of them sound good on paper, but not in practice. That's the beauty of the suggestions forum.

And you've made a lot of wonderful points! Any suggestion that may take away from the site's revenue is not something that I'm interested in either, which I think I mentioned in the OP. I realize that the site's devs and the site itself depend on this revenue.

It was certain users' phrasing that rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, I am a little offended by some comments! I do have feelings. The difference is that my original post was harmless and the things people are/were saying stung a little. I just wish people would be... idk, normal? Explain why they think something isn't a good idea instead of criticizing each other on a personal level? (Your responses are a perfect example of this and I appreciate it!)

I legitimately don't have time to log on daily and I'm aware that many other players are in the same boat, which is why I made the suggestion in the first place. I just don't like how obvious the low health bars are, to be completely honest with you. They're gaudy! And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Previously, I was able to invest a lot of time and energy into the site every day and it bums me out to see evidence of my own absence on my dragons. My thought process was: could there be a way for busy players to reap the benefits of work they've previously put in, i.e. collecting food points, without exploiting the site? Maybe not, and that's okay. But it felt like people were jumping down my throat and I see that happening to a lot of people on the suggestions forum.

I don't like people implying that I'm lazy. Especially for something trivial like not prioritizing a pet sim. Maybe "offended" wasn't the right word, but a few people were acting like hypervigilant jerks. It's just a game at the end of the day and things are hard enough. We should all be nice to each other.

Again, I wasn't directing any of the "offended" comments to you because you didn't say anything rude at all.

Well, since you pinged me, I'm apparently the offended one. I made the post I did since it seemed like the original suggestion wasn't taking into consideration why websites like to encourage daily visiting and aren't likely to take steps to remove those incentives.

I'm genuinely baffled that my comment was apparently taken as being offended and intended to be a personal attack rather than what it literally was: A probing question about how the suggestion would interact with other features of the game, followed up by a short explanation of why the suggestion as presented was contrary to the goals of the site.

There's no offense to be taken at people not having time for a free game. However, that doesn't mean that it's unreasonable for a game run largely on advertising money to implement incentive structures that encourage daily login, and acknowledging that fairly basic game structure is not an attack.
Well, since you pinged me, I'm apparently the offended one. I made the post I did since it seemed like the original suggestion wasn't taking into consideration why websites like to encourage daily visiting and aren't likely to take steps to remove those incentives.

I'm genuinely baffled that my comment was apparently taken as being offended and intended to be a personal attack rather than what it literally was: A probing question about how the suggestion would interact with other features of the game, followed up by a short explanation of why the suggestion as presented was contrary to the goals of the site.

There's no offense to be taken at people not having time for a free game. However, that doesn't mean that it's unreasonable for a game run largely on advertising money to implement incentive structures that encourage daily login, and acknowledging that fairly basic game structure is not an attack.
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
@Adventuretime

Ah, okay.

Yeah, I can understand that not everyone has time to log in every day.

I fortunately have that time to do so, but I rememeber when I first started neopets, I was on dialup, and only had an hour or two a day for the internet, and there was so much I wanted to do in that time slot, but dial up. So, I had to budget my time and at the time it meant I couldn't really get into a lot of sites, especially image heavy ones (which is where my dislike of the ability of players to load pages up with images come from) because I simply didn't have the time to put into it what I wanted.

I just see the 'don't get offended, it is just a suggestion' used so often to try to negate what those people are saying (basically something along the lines of 'Well, your point is invalid because you were offended by something I said, so therefore you are just reacting instead of thinking'). It tends to be used more often to shut down opposition than it is to genuinely mean that the poster thought the other person was offended by the suggestion.

Anyway, I also wanted to explain my reasoining a bit more, and I realized that the other part, the part about needing to encourage daily or 'as often as they can' play, so something that would encourage 'log on every once in a while to click a button' wouldn't be a good idea hadn't been addressed fully.
@Adventuretime

Ah, okay.

Yeah, I can understand that not everyone has time to log in every day.

I fortunately have that time to do so, but I rememeber when I first started neopets, I was on dialup, and only had an hour or two a day for the internet, and there was so much I wanted to do in that time slot, but dial up. So, I had to budget my time and at the time it meant I couldn't really get into a lot of sites, especially image heavy ones (which is where my dislike of the ability of players to load pages up with images come from) because I simply didn't have the time to put into it what I wanted.

I just see the 'don't get offended, it is just a suggestion' used so often to try to negate what those people are saying (basically something along the lines of 'Well, your point is invalid because you were offended by something I said, so therefore you are just reacting instead of thinking'). It tends to be used more often to shut down opposition than it is to genuinely mean that the poster thought the other person was offended by the suggestion.

Anyway, I also wanted to explain my reasoining a bit more, and I realized that the other part, the part about needing to encourage daily or 'as often as they can' play, so something that would encourage 'log on every once in a while to click a button' wouldn't be a good idea hadn't been addressed fully.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
If it is specifically the look of the low energy bars that bothers you, maybe your other suggestion, to have a toggle to hide those. That could totally work and doesn't seem like it would harm anyone or take revenue from the site.
If it is specifically the look of the low energy bars that bothers you, maybe your other suggestion, to have a toggle to hide those. That could totally work and doesn't seem like it would harm anyone or take revenue from the site.
[quote name="luccamajere" date="2020-04-23 08:15:24" ] If it is specifically the look of the low energy bars that bothers you, maybe your other suggestion, to have a toggle to hide those. That could totally work and doesn't seem like it would harm anyone or take revenue from the site. [/quote] As long as it's only hidden for the owner, and still visible for other users, support. Well, thinking about it, the energy level of someone else's lair isn't anyone else's business, yes, but on the rare occasions when someone is arranging a trade with a lair that hides their energy bar, if it's hidden for everyone, you wouldn't know whether you're buying a dragon with full energy or a starving one, and that might lead to buyer's clan energy dip below 80% after trade. Just a little added thought.
luccamajere wrote on 2020-04-23 08:15:24:
As long as it's only hidden for the owner, and still visible for other users, support.

Well, thinking about it, the energy level of someone else's lair isn't anyone else's business, yes, but on the rare occasions when someone is arranging a trade with a lair that hides their energy bar, if it's hidden for everyone, you wouldn't know whether you're buying a dragon with full energy or a starving one, and that might lead to buyer's clan energy dip below 80% after trade. Just a little added thought.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
Support but:

No well fed bonus

What if it had a cap timeframe, like a vacation feeder?

"Oh, I'll be away for 3 days, let me set up a feeder for then"
but have to log back in to extend or modify the feeder?

Words are hard, hope it's clear.

ETA: maybe the feeder has a set limit, like 2 weeks. After that it would make sense to just put them into the hibernal den imo
Support but:

No well fed bonus

What if it had a cap timeframe, like a vacation feeder?

"Oh, I'll be away for 3 days, let me set up a feeder for then"
but have to log back in to extend or modify the feeder?

Words are hard, hope it's clear.

ETA: maybe the feeder has a set limit, like 2 weeks. After that it would make sense to just put them into the hibernal den imo
@Jemadar I totally understand where you're coming from and I can see how I might have come off as defensive over my idea, no worries! For me personally, all suggestions and ideas are welcome on my thread. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain myself better too.

@luccamajere I agree, this would be a simpler and better solution ^^ I just didnt think about it until after I made the original post.

@hat17 good points! I think my ideal version of the health bars would be exactly the same thing, but only appearing when a user (any user) mouses over them, but I'm not sure how or if this would work.

@Siraiceshine for my intents and purposes this wouldn't work, because it would be an indefinite amount of time, but I do like your ideas! I would stick my guys in the hinden but... that's where I hide my trash (disorganization) :( and I wouldnt want to keep them in the same place as my faves
@Jemadar I totally understand where you're coming from and I can see how I might have come off as defensive over my idea, no worries! For me personally, all suggestions and ideas are welcome on my thread. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to explain myself better too.

@luccamajere I agree, this would be a simpler and better solution ^^ I just didnt think about it until after I made the original post.

@hat17 good points! I think my ideal version of the health bars would be exactly the same thing, but only appearing when a user (any user) mouses over them, but I'm not sure how or if this would work.

@Siraiceshine for my intents and purposes this wouldn't work, because it would be an indefinite amount of time, but I do like your ideas! I would stick my guys in the hinden but... that's where I hide my trash (disorganization) :( and I wouldnt want to keep them in the same place as my faves
@LordJeanliness My bad, I missed this reply.

I understand that getting people to log on as often as possible is important to keep the site running and that's not the part of your reply that I took offense to.

Maybe it wasn't intended the way I interpreted it, but the "They want people to actually, you know" (something along those lines) came off as kinda condescending. Again, just how you said it, not what you said. You had a valid point.
@LordJeanliness My bad, I missed this reply.

I understand that getting people to log on as often as possible is important to keep the site running and that's not the part of your reply that I took offense to.

Maybe it wasn't intended the way I interpreted it, but the "They want people to actually, you know" (something along those lines) came off as kinda condescending. Again, just how you said it, not what you said. You had a valid point.
1 2 3