Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | A Better Bestiary
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
[b]The facts:[/b] - There are 80+ pages of Bestiary right now. - There is no way to see which familiars you do not own, besides scrolling through all 80 pages. - There is no way of seeing which familiars need to be bonded with, besides scrolling through all 80 pages. - There is no way of determining the source of any familiar directly through the Bestiary. - There is no way of going directly to a specific familiar, or even to the right place in the alphabet to find them. [b]The conclusion:[/b] There are a lot more things that could be said of the limitations of the Bestiary right now. These are just some of the ones that seemed most prevalent to me. While collecting familiars is not a focus of this site, it is still a [i]feature[/i] of it, and the current Bestiary is prohibitive to that goal. [b]The proposal:[/b] Below I've included some concept mock-ups, with the intention of getting ideas moving. These are not necessarily perfect, and I don't guarantee that they fit the needs of the playerbase. The admins are the only ones who can really make that call. But I did want to get some ideas flowing. [i]Filtering[/i] We already have some conceptually good filters in the Auction House, a concept that could be leveraged to update the Bestiary. [img]https://i.imgur.com/LsPgHGy.png[/img] There are many other filters that could be added, I chose these three for the sake of demonstration. [img]https://i.imgur.com/gkssOCo.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Wm5MH07.png[/img] Sources could be broken down for more flexibility, or condensed, for the sake of brevity. I've included a more verbose source in my familiar listing below. [img]https://i.imgur.com/NcwSqeS.png[/img] Leveraging the multiple choice filters for the Bestiary would provide an extra level of functionality. [i]Familiar Listings[/i] [img]https://i.imgur.com/g1WvdwP.png[/img] I was conflicted on what to propose for the actual listings themselves. As they are, they're a bit bulky, but it's also nice seeing them all listed out. So while I think the above filter options could work (ish) with the current listing layout, I also mocked up a potential streamlined layout as well. [img]https://i.imgur.com/yMW41GJ.png[/img] The hover-over on the icon to go with the above listing. [img]https://i.imgur.com/1TrVF3W.png[/img] Alternative idea for listings, wider than the current ones to accommodate longer descriptions (Looking at you, Acid-Tongue Serpenta, Conjoined Skink, and Rosaline Strangler, just to name a few.) [img]https://i.imgur.com/WmaOSlH.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/9aJlRF4.png[/img] Alternative to the alternative, with the description contained in a hover menu. [b]Other Notes[/b] I have elected not to propose (or anti-propose?) a "Bond All" feature. That is another discussion that has been discussed to death, and the focus here is viewing familiars rather than interacting with them. I did not include a "Hide KS Familiars" option, but this could be covered by or rolled up into the filters. The idea to include a source came from the number of ways in which players have had to manually keep track of this for themselves. It is, to me, the lowest on the priority list, but would be nice. Anyway thanks for reading this thread that got way too long!
The facts:

- There are 80+ pages of Bestiary right now.
- There is no way to see which familiars you do not own, besides scrolling through all 80 pages.
- There is no way of seeing which familiars need to be bonded with, besides scrolling through all 80 pages.
- There is no way of determining the source of any familiar directly through the Bestiary.
- There is no way of going directly to a specific familiar, or even to the right place in the alphabet to find them.

The conclusion:

There are a lot more things that could be said of the limitations of the Bestiary right now. These are just some of the ones that seemed most prevalent to me. While collecting familiars is not a focus of this site, it is still a feature of it, and the current Bestiary is prohibitive to that goal.

The proposal:

Below I've included some concept mock-ups, with the intention of getting ideas moving. These are not necessarily perfect, and I don't guarantee that they fit the needs of the playerbase. The admins are the only ones who can really make that call. But I did want to get some ideas flowing.

Filtering

We already have some conceptually good filters in the Auction House, a concept that could be leveraged to update the Bestiary.

LsPgHGy.png

There are many other filters that could be added, I chose these three for the sake of demonstration.

gkssOCo.png Wm5MH07.png

Sources could be broken down for more flexibility, or condensed, for the sake of brevity. I've included a more verbose source in my familiar listing below.

NcwSqeS.png

Leveraging the multiple choice filters for the Bestiary would provide an extra level of functionality.

Familiar Listings

g1WvdwP.png

I was conflicted on what to propose for the actual listings themselves. As they are, they're a bit bulky, but it's also nice seeing them all listed out. So while I think the above filter options could work (ish) with the current listing layout, I also mocked up a potential streamlined layout as well.

yMW41GJ.png

The hover-over on the icon to go with the above listing.

1TrVF3W.png

Alternative idea for listings, wider than the current ones to accommodate longer descriptions (Looking at you, Acid-Tongue Serpenta, Conjoined Skink, and Rosaline Strangler, just to name a few.)

WmaOSlH.png 9aJlRF4.png

Alternative to the alternative, with the description contained in a hover menu.

Other Notes

I have elected not to propose (or anti-propose?) a "Bond All" feature. That is another discussion that has been discussed to death, and the focus here is viewing familiars rather than interacting with them.

I did not include a "Hide KS Familiars" option, but this could be covered by or rolled up into the filters.

The idea to include a source came from the number of ways in which players have had to manually keep track of this for themselves. It is, to me, the lowest on the priority list, but would be nice.

Anyway thanks for reading this thread that got way too long!
jeGlfdJ.gif__ Volunteer Moderator: If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising team, not the volunteer moderator group. (+0 FR Time)

Very good ideas!
I would love to see the bond and caught filters. Also just being able to jump to a certain letter would be awesome or filtering a letter.
Very good ideas!
I would love to see the bond and caught filters. Also just being able to jump to a certain letter would be awesome or filtering a letter.
tumblr_n2jjzpEhnh1sejfybo1_500.png
signature by Sanrixian
I would love more options for searching and perusing the bestiary. At the moment, it's a clunky and hard to navigate mess.

I really like your thought out idea. Full support.
I would love more options for searching and perusing the bestiary. At the moment, it's a clunky and hard to navigate mess.

I really like your thought out idea. Full support.
Support!!! This is so well thought out and proposed. Great work!
Support!!! This is so well thought out and proposed. Great work!
She/Her FR Time +1YVJY8Ut.png I hoard 1013.pngWaBL9Eh.png
Support, the bestiary is a pain to search through, and this is well thought out.
Support, the bestiary is a pain to search through, and this is well thought out.
xN7BMkS.png2vd8y.pnggIseHJu.png2vvYU.gif
Support for any improvements at all since it's so clunky now. I like the proposed ideas of what bond level and the potential source of these familiars. It could help people figure out how to get the familiars they want.

I like how I can see the image of the familiars with the little description underneath now. I think that's really the "purpose" of a Beastiary; to display the familiars you've gotten clearly.
Support for any improvements at all since it's so clunky now. I like the proposed ideas of what bond level and the potential source of these familiars. It could help people figure out how to get the familiars they want.

I like how I can see the image of the familiars with the little description underneath now. I think that's really the "purpose" of a Beastiary; to display the familiars you've gotten clearly.
uCR5SCW.png
I support this. I'd actually start collecting Familiars if there were better options to look through what I had or didn't have!
I support this. I'd actually start collecting Familiars if there were better options to look through what I had or didn't have!
So much support, as I'm trying to collect all the ones that I can. This would make it so much easier to navigate
So much support, as I'm trying to collect all the ones that I can. This would make it so much easier to navigate
Support! Filtering would make things so much easier!
Support! Filtering would make things so much easier!
lobx30c.jpg
Totally loving this! I hope they implement it
Totally loving this! I hope they implement it
ew9u8Xp.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7