Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Fewer things beginning with the letter S
1 2 3
Okay so this is just a silly thing, and doesn't have to be taken seriously, but I've noticed that the number of things in FR which begin with the letter S FAR outpace the ones beginning with other letters.

Examples:

Dragon breeds - three of fourteen begin with S - Snapper, Spiral and Skydancer. All the other breeds are the only ones with their letter.

Familiars - Out of 543, more than 90 begin with S, nearly a fifth of the total. The next closest is C, with 56, which is about a tenth.

Secondary Genes - Six of nineteen begin with S - Safari, Saturn, Seraph, Shimmer, Spinner, Stripes.
There's also three Primary genes beginning with S (Savannah, Skink, Speckle) and four Tertiaries (Scales, Smoke, Spines, Stained).

I know that S is one of the most common letters in the English language, but it would just be nice to have some more variety. K, for example, or N.
Okay so this is just a silly thing, and doesn't have to be taken seriously, but I've noticed that the number of things in FR which begin with the letter S FAR outpace the ones beginning with other letters.

Examples:

Dragon breeds - three of fourteen begin with S - Snapper, Spiral and Skydancer. All the other breeds are the only ones with their letter.

Familiars - Out of 543, more than 90 begin with S, nearly a fifth of the total. The next closest is C, with 56, which is about a tenth.

Secondary Genes - Six of nineteen begin with S - Safari, Saturn, Seraph, Shimmer, Spinner, Stripes.
There's also three Primary genes beginning with S (Savannah, Skink, Speckle) and four Tertiaries (Scales, Smoke, Spines, Stained).

I know that S is one of the most common letters in the English language, but it would just be nice to have some more variety. K, for example, or N.
0lSM1SJ.pngnnJGoJp.png
I'd prefer if the staff kept naming things according to what makes the most sense to them instead of avoiding specific letters of the alphabet.
I'd prefer if the staff kept naming things according to what makes the most sense to them instead of avoiding specific letters of the alphabet.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
I mean, I guess I wouldn't be against this.

(Imagine a dragon breed named like, Nibbler or smth. So cute.)
I mean, I guess I wouldn't be against this.

(Imagine a dragon breed named like, Nibbler or smth. So cute.)
Selling old UMAs/giveaway
Giving away everything
G2 imperial giveaway
progress-rainbow-rainbow-garter-blm.png
To be honest I don't see this as a problem that needs fixing. Its a common thing in languages and RL names too. It happens all the thime. Just because the alphabet has 26 letters doesn't mean that all words and names in existence have a 1/26th chance of beginning with any of these letters.

It wouldn't surprise me if more than half of all words of any kind of language start with the ever same 10 letters. But I leave that for a linguist to proove/disproove.
To be honest I don't see this as a problem that needs fixing. Its a common thing in languages and RL names too. It happens all the thime. Just because the alphabet has 26 letters doesn't mean that all words and names in existence have a 1/26th chance of beginning with any of these letters.

It wouldn't surprise me if more than half of all words of any kind of language start with the ever same 10 letters. But I leave that for a linguist to proove/disproove.
I don't see an issue with this, S just /is/ a common letter
Plus, you should also consider that 'S' has different pronounciations
If a word starts with 'Sh', then the S sounds compleely different, that alone gives us some variety
I don't see an issue with this, S just /is/ a common letter
Plus, you should also consider that 'S' has different pronounciations
If a word starts with 'Sh', then the S sounds compleely different, that alone gives us some variety
qR6otwA.png
The only place I have a problem with all the S's is in the secondary gene list, it does make it a bit harder to pick one out in the Scrying workshop. So, very limited support.
The only place I have a problem with all the S's is in the secondary gene list, it does make it a bit harder to pick one out in the Scrying workshop. So, very limited support.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
Hah, yes, support. This contributes to most of my confusion re: genes.
Hah, yes, support. This contributes to most of my confusion re: genes.
I agree with Ridara, genes should be given names that make sense. I'd rather have 10 genes that begin with the same letter than 5 names that doesn't have anything to do with the gene.

It would also make things easier to scry if you gave the names that made sense. Sometimes people forget what a gene looks like, the name reminds them.
I agree with Ridara, genes should be given names that make sense. I'd rather have 10 genes that begin with the same letter than 5 names that doesn't have anything to do with the gene.

It would also make things easier to scry if you gave the names that made sense. Sometimes people forget what a gene looks like, the name reminds them.
bEY99am.gif
All the stars seem so far gone
~He/him
~FR+3

Replace by the fading of the dawn
I'd rather staff name stuff according to what fits it best, rather than trying to make sure no letters feel left out.
I'd rather staff name stuff according to what fits it best, rather than trying to make sure no letters feel left out.
BhWDcLm.png
Um, that's probably because 'S' is the most used consonant in the English language.
Um, that's probably because 'S' is the most used consonant in the English language.
tumblr_inline_nebbd6PAZE1qmu9vp.png
1 2 3