Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Combining Genes
1 2
I don't know if this was suggested before, but I will write it again

I know, that will be a lot of work, but just imagine, it could be possible, to crossbreed genes by breeding. For example an crossover between Glimmer and Runes (Which could be named Teritary Gene: Glimmering Runes). But the chance to get a cross between genes is very low, kind of 1% per nest. To get a chance that the genes combine themself, both parents need to have them.
With this crossbreed genes we could increase the rarity of genes and add some more breeding fun to the game^^
Like I said, this would be a buttload of work, but it would be nice to have a feature like this^^
I don't know if this was suggested before, but I will write it again

I know, that will be a lot of work, but just imagine, it could be possible, to crossbreed genes by breeding. For example an crossover between Glimmer and Runes (Which could be named Teritary Gene: Glimmering Runes). But the chance to get a cross between genes is very low, kind of 1% per nest. To get a chance that the genes combine themself, both parents need to have them.
With this crossbreed genes we could increase the rarity of genes and add some more breeding fun to the game^^
Like I said, this would be a buttload of work, but it would be nice to have a feature like this^^
egg.gif
I'm kind of unsure. Many people use different genes to make a certain outcome more likely. For example If I use an uncommon gene and want it to be showing in the offspring I use the oter parents higher rarity gene to make sure of that. (Like in my Iri Tiger pair which has 99% tiger offspring)

Introducing another wildcard my not be the best idea.

Plus how would that even work for primary and secondary genes? And what is with the basic gene? How would a hybrid between basic and another gene look?

Would a hybrid between Tiger and jupiter not get an ugly mess?

I tend to say no support until those things are answered. Perferable with a mockup how these hybrids would look.
I'm kind of unsure. Many people use different genes to make a certain outcome more likely. For example If I use an uncommon gene and want it to be showing in the offspring I use the oter parents higher rarity gene to make sure of that. (Like in my Iri Tiger pair which has 99% tiger offspring)

Introducing another wildcard my not be the best idea.

Plus how would that even work for primary and secondary genes? And what is with the basic gene? How would a hybrid between basic and another gene look?

Would a hybrid between Tiger and jupiter not get an ugly mess?

I tend to say no support until those things are answered. Perferable with a mockup how these hybrids would look.
It's true, some genes wouldn't look that good combined, but it's a part of the work to make a pattern where it doesn't look like a mess
It's true, some genes wouldn't look that good combined, but it's a part of the work to make a pattern where it doesn't look like a mess
egg.gif
What would "Glimmering Runes" even look like? Would it be simply Glimmer and Runes together on one dragon?

Overall, I don't really support that.
Firstly, with a lot of Marketplace genes, it would make the dragon look very, very crowded and busy (Tiger Cherub? Poisonous Skink? o.0 )
Secondly, it would really interfere with people's breeding projects. I have a Rune/Underbelly pair because that's what I want. I don't want a Runic Underbelly with that pair. Having it occur at a low probability doesn't help. If I don't want it, I don't want. Furthermore, this interferes with people who run hatcheries. If a Coatl/Coatl lay a one-egg nest and have the hatchling result with an unplanned for gene, that sets that hatchery back by an entire month. In addition, some people WILL want this gene on their dragons. Then they wind up pulling their hair out, waiting for the RNG to smile on them.
Thirdly, it's compounded by the fact that a double-gene would not have a scroll, so people could not scroll an existing dragon whom they want to have that gene. Instead, they'd have to breed to replace the dragon. And that simply might not be possible if people want a progen, Gen 1, special ID, or special date dragon to have the "Glimmering Rune" gene.
Fourthly, as said in the OP, this would take a ton of work. All genes would at least have to have some type of transparency in order to be layered. At most, all genes and possible combinations would have to be redrawn so the dragons don't look like a squiggly mess. This becomes even more of a headache as new genes are released; such a feature would delay new releases, and I'd rather have new genes than copies of old ones (Point and Ghost, please?).
Fifthly, what would happen if two dragons with Glimmering Runes bred? Would the babies be guaranteed to have the dual-gene? In that case, it defeats the purpose of a 1% or less chance of inheritance. Would the babies be glimmer or runes? Then see the point above about RNG frustrations. Furthermore, what would happen if a Glimmering Runes bred with a spine dragon? Would we wind up with a -triple- tertiary dragon? What if a Stained Circuit bred with a Glimmering Rune? Would we wind up with a -quadruple- tertiary dragon? Or would dual-gene dragons have to be made infertile to keep breeding from being ridiculous? I doubt many users are going to like that.

I don't consider this fun, and I don't like this because people can control their dragon breeding as much or as little as they want. If they want random, they can choose a broad color range and six genes. If they want close, they can breed XXX identical dragons. People can even nest rent for eye color. Male/Female is the only thing totally randomized, resulting in a 50% chance. That's far from 1%--and many people have already felt the bitterness of a 50% RNG failure.

Yes, sometimes it'd be nice to have a dragon with both spines and stained, but I would seriously rather not have breeding become a complicated nightmare. I like how simple and clear cut it is. If people want to try for low probability in breeding, they can try a gem gene against Basic for a challenge. But I don't want to see FR go the route of this suggestion, so no support.
What would "Glimmering Runes" even look like? Would it be simply Glimmer and Runes together on one dragon?

Overall, I don't really support that.
Firstly, with a lot of Marketplace genes, it would make the dragon look very, very crowded and busy (Tiger Cherub? Poisonous Skink? o.0 )
Secondly, it would really interfere with people's breeding projects. I have a Rune/Underbelly pair because that's what I want. I don't want a Runic Underbelly with that pair. Having it occur at a low probability doesn't help. If I don't want it, I don't want. Furthermore, this interferes with people who run hatcheries. If a Coatl/Coatl lay a one-egg nest and have the hatchling result with an unplanned for gene, that sets that hatchery back by an entire month. In addition, some people WILL want this gene on their dragons. Then they wind up pulling their hair out, waiting for the RNG to smile on them.
Thirdly, it's compounded by the fact that a double-gene would not have a scroll, so people could not scroll an existing dragon whom they want to have that gene. Instead, they'd have to breed to replace the dragon. And that simply might not be possible if people want a progen, Gen 1, special ID, or special date dragon to have the "Glimmering Rune" gene.
Fourthly, as said in the OP, this would take a ton of work. All genes would at least have to have some type of transparency in order to be layered. At most, all genes and possible combinations would have to be redrawn so the dragons don't look like a squiggly mess. This becomes even more of a headache as new genes are released; such a feature would delay new releases, and I'd rather have new genes than copies of old ones (Point and Ghost, please?).
Fifthly, what would happen if two dragons with Glimmering Runes bred? Would the babies be guaranteed to have the dual-gene? In that case, it defeats the purpose of a 1% or less chance of inheritance. Would the babies be glimmer or runes? Then see the point above about RNG frustrations. Furthermore, what would happen if a Glimmering Runes bred with a spine dragon? Would we wind up with a -triple- tertiary dragon? What if a Stained Circuit bred with a Glimmering Rune? Would we wind up with a -quadruple- tertiary dragon? Or would dual-gene dragons have to be made infertile to keep breeding from being ridiculous? I doubt many users are going to like that.

I don't consider this fun, and I don't like this because people can control their dragon breeding as much or as little as they want. If they want random, they can choose a broad color range and six genes. If they want close, they can breed XXX identical dragons. People can even nest rent for eye color. Male/Female is the only thing totally randomized, resulting in a 50% chance. That's far from 1%--and many people have already felt the bitterness of a 50% RNG failure.

Yes, sometimes it'd be nice to have a dragon with both spines and stained, but I would seriously rather not have breeding become a complicated nightmare. I like how simple and clear cut it is. If people want to try for low probability in breeding, they can try a gem gene against Basic for a challenge. But I don't want to see FR go the route of this suggestion, so no support.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I am afraid I agree with Gemajgall.

For some, like Glimmer and Rune, it would be possible, but what about glimmer and underbelly? How would those combine.

How would Gem Genes and Treasure Genes interact with each other? Would there be a difference, or would it affect how likely a combo is.

As pointed out above, what about primary and secondary genes. Iri/shim would probably combine with most genes (and look gorgeous potentially) but what about the busy genes, as pointed out, tiger and jupiter, stripes and saturn?

I don't really think this is feasible as there would be some that would combine nicely, while others would be a complete nightmare and pretty much have to be completely redrawn to be able to interact, and I don't think it is worth it to code the possibility in for the handful of combos that WOULD work, such as Runic Glimmer etc..
I am afraid I agree with Gemajgall.

For some, like Glimmer and Rune, it would be possible, but what about glimmer and underbelly? How would those combine.

How would Gem Genes and Treasure Genes interact with each other? Would there be a difference, or would it affect how likely a combo is.

As pointed out above, what about primary and secondary genes. Iri/shim would probably combine with most genes (and look gorgeous potentially) but what about the busy genes, as pointed out, tiger and jupiter, stripes and saturn?

I don't really think this is feasible as there would be some that would combine nicely, while others would be a complete nightmare and pretty much have to be completely redrawn to be able to interact, and I don't think it is worth it to code the possibility in for the handful of combos that WOULD work, such as Runic Glimmer etc..

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
As you stated at the very beginning of your suggestion

"I know it would be a lot of work"

I think the Artists have enough work already to have to then render the 100s of combinations of "Combined Genes" to make this even a viable suggestion.

I would much rather have the Artists focusing on other things.

Sorry no support
As you stated at the very beginning of your suggestion

"I know it would be a lot of work"

I think the Artists have enough work already to have to then render the 100s of combinations of "Combined Genes" to make this even a viable suggestion.

I would much rather have the Artists focusing on other things.

Sorry no support
well! it will be a lot of work.. i loved this idea but no support since:
as the others have stated.. imagine a iridescent cherub, with glimmering runes and butterfly shimmer... HOW WEIRD AND EWW could it looK?
well! it will be a lot of work.. i loved this idea but no support since:
as the others have stated.. imagine a iridescent cherub, with glimmering runes and butterfly shimmer... HOW WEIRD AND EWW could it looK?

9Ec97kg.png
I support this, but I believe it should be for only a few genes that wouldn't look like a total mess c;
I support this, but I believe it should be for only a few genes that wouldn't look like a total mess c;
28764.png
You know what might be a better way to do this is baldwin. You could throw compatible genes into the cauldron for a combo gene scroll recipe. It would just be both genes at once. That way artists wouldn't need anything new, and staff would just have to decide which genes work together in a decent way and which they feel like allowing. They might need a new rarity for baldwin combo genes, or they could just throw them in another category they think fits.

I'm not necessarily sure I'd want it, and I definitely don't think I like the idea of offspring that can inherit both if each parent only has one, but combo genes are an interesting thought in general
You know what might be a better way to do this is baldwin. You could throw compatible genes into the cauldron for a combo gene scroll recipe. It would just be both genes at once. That way artists wouldn't need anything new, and staff would just have to decide which genes work together in a decent way and which they feel like allowing. They might need a new rarity for baldwin combo genes, or they could just throw them in another category they think fits.

I'm not necessarily sure I'd want it, and I definitely don't think I like the idea of offspring that can inherit both if each parent only has one, but combo genes are an interesting thought in general
Wua5ROf.png
Yeah, doing this in Baldwin is a good idea. This way I would love it too^^
Yeah, doing this in Baldwin is a good idea. This way I would love it too^^
egg.gif
1 2