Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Colorblind Setting for Tidal/Shock Games
1 2
I'm a colorblind player, and I really love both tidal trouble and shock switch. However, the colors of the bubbles in tidal trouble and the blocks in shock switch can be very hard to distinguish, even with the help of the symbols.
Perhaps there could be a new mode where the blocks/bubbles were more saturated to help us! Personally, the more saturated colors are, the easier they are to distinguish because you can tell the darker ones from the lighter ones.
Alternatively, an idea would be to change the colors entirely rather than just saturating them to make them easier to tell apart.
Either of these would be really great for those of us who have tidal trouble with color and make it a much easier experience. I'm not saying to change the original games, but modifying it and offering an alternative version of the game (like the alt. visual effects shock switch) would definitely make it easier for us!
I'm a colorblind player, and I really love both tidal trouble and shock switch. However, the colors of the bubbles in tidal trouble and the blocks in shock switch can be very hard to distinguish, even with the help of the symbols.
Perhaps there could be a new mode where the blocks/bubbles were more saturated to help us! Personally, the more saturated colors are, the easier they are to distinguish because you can tell the darker ones from the lighter ones.
Alternatively, an idea would be to change the colors entirely rather than just saturating them to make them easier to tell apart.
Either of these would be really great for those of us who have tidal trouble with color and make it a much easier experience. I'm not saying to change the original games, but modifying it and offering an alternative version of the game (like the alt. visual effects shock switch) would definitely make it easier for us!
This wouldn't negatively affect anyone and so I don't see why not. Always a good idea to make the game more playable for everyone :)
This wouldn't negatively affect anyone and so I don't see why not. Always a good idea to make the game more playable for everyone :)
SXqaLwu.png

she/her
FR + 8/9
x
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxart shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxg1 sales
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxprofile dragon

Well maybe the symbols need to be more plain and thus more eyecatching?

I'm wary of having the colors more saturated - while it might help colorblind people it can also cause new problems with fast moving brightly colored stuff for other people.

Changing the colors sounds better than just oversaturating them. Then again there are many different forms of colorblindness and the question on chich set of colors to change it to is still there. If you have a form of colorblindness where you have trouble with red and another player has a problem with blue It won't help to set all the colors in the blue range. (Or did I missunderstand this suggestion? In this case would you give more examples on what you mean with colorchanging?)
Well maybe the symbols need to be more plain and thus more eyecatching?

I'm wary of having the colors more saturated - while it might help colorblind people it can also cause new problems with fast moving brightly colored stuff for other people.

Changing the colors sounds better than just oversaturating them. Then again there are many different forms of colorblindness and the question on chich set of colors to change it to is still there. If you have a form of colorblindness where you have trouble with red and another player has a problem with blue It won't help to set all the colors in the blue range. (Or did I missunderstand this suggestion? In this case would you give more examples on what you mean with colorchanging?)
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2016-09-10 06:38:43] I'm wary of having the colors more saturated - while it might help colorblind people it can also cause new problems with fast moving brightly colored stuff for other people. [/quote] This is why they suggested a [i]toggle[/i] [s]that seems to be the codeword for the suggestions forum nowadays[/s]. I support this, I'm not colorblind and bright colors hurt my eyes, but I don't see why it would hurt anybody. Everything to make the site more accessible.
Ismaiel wrote on 2016-09-10:
This is why they suggested a toggle that seems to be the codeword for the suggestions forum nowadays.

I support this, I'm not colorblind and bright colors hurt my eyes, but I don't see why it would hurt anybody. Everything to make the site more accessible.
Hi! I'm Jake or Rads
lwN7WD5.png FRT+9 | he/him

accent shop
xx Silhouette of a flying dragon
Since saturated colours cause visual issues for me, I'm so glad to see this suggestion is for a setting rather than a complete overhaul. I'm a big fan of making sure all users can play comfortably, so having both versions would definitely be ideal.

Doesn't seem like it'd change (and certainly not hurt) anything for those who prefer the main versions, so the only downside I see is potentially the time it'd require from devs. Given it's for accessibility, I don't think it's unreasonable to request, though, so you have my full support.
Since saturated colours cause visual issues for me, I'm so glad to see this suggestion is for a setting rather than a complete overhaul. I'm a big fan of making sure all users can play comfortably, so having both versions would definitely be ideal.

Doesn't seem like it'd change (and certainly not hurt) anything for those who prefer the main versions, so the only downside I see is potentially the time it'd require from devs. Given it's for accessibility, I don't think it's unreasonable to request, though, so you have my full support.

r250Bbk.png ZW5CgDF.png FFH3hV6.png s1GAkgl.png LBmwkOD.png Lef8ZKD.png 10CB8sd.png
You always have a choice.
You can either roll over and die, or you can keep fightin' no matter what.
support! As long as its a toggle id be fine with this.
support! As long as its a toggle id be fine with this.
On hiatus, again--might come on here to see how things are doing but that's all.
[quote name="QueenParda" date=2016-09-10 07:45:51] [quote name="Ismaiel" date=2016-09-10 06:38:43] I'm wary of having the colors more saturated - while it might help colorblind people it can also cause new problems with fast moving brightly colored stuff for other people. [/quote] This is why they suggested a [i]toggle[/i] [s]that seems to be the codeword for the suggestions forum nowadays[/s]. I support this, I'm not colorblind and bright colors hurt my eyes, but I don't see why it would hurt anybody. Everything to make the site more accessible. [/quote] Yeah. But problem is I'm not sure if they can actually make a toggle (its not working with the music we have right now - who knows if this setting might not be the same) so I thought about a way of improving the game without making it unplayable to another group of players.
QueenParda wrote on 2016-09-10:
Ismaiel wrote on 2016-09-10:
This is why they suggested a toggle that seems to be the codeword for the suggestions forum nowadays.

I support this, I'm not colorblind and bright colors hurt my eyes, but I don't see why it would hurt anybody. Everything to make the site more accessible.

Yeah. But problem is I'm not sure if they can actually make a toggle (its not working with the music we have right now - who knows if this setting might not be the same) so I thought about a way of improving the game without making it unplayable to another group of players.
Support, colorblind players play this game too and it won't negatively impact anyone.
Support, colorblind players play this game too and it won't negatively impact anyone.
I definitely think this a great idea, and I love that the OP went in saying that it should be a mode so that players who are currently all right with the saturation will be fine with it, and players who need the new mode can select that.

As with everything, this creates more work, but I think that it's well worth it for the increased accessibility.
I definitely think this a great idea, and I love that the OP went in saying that it should be a mode so that players who are currently all right with the saturation will be fine with it, and players who need the new mode can select that.

As with everything, this creates more work, but I think that it's well worth it for the increased accessibility.
Always support for more accessibility! I think a good idea would be to make the symbols stand out more on the bubbles. There are flight symbols on them but they're hard to see. If they were darker it would be easier to differentiate between the bubbles.
Always support for more accessibility! I think a good idea would be to make the symbols stand out more on the bubbles. There are flight symbols on them but they're hard to see. If they were darker it would be easier to differentiate between the bubbles.
jCVhFoZ.gif
1 2