Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | FR should make real dragons!
1 2 3
Full support, I would love statues of the dragons.
Full support, I would love statues of the dragons.
For practicalities sake, I would like to suggest that they could/would have two different types of dragon models. One that is just the dragon, no apparel; and customs that would cost more depending on the complexity. (Of course)
What I do not know is how they would get the genes such as Cry/Fac on the models. Would they (they being the model makers) use a translucent resin to get that crystal effect?

I'm just trying to say that I support this with every fiber of my being.
For practicalities sake, I would like to suggest that they could/would have two different types of dragon models. One that is just the dragon, no apparel; and customs that would cost more depending on the complexity. (Of course)
What I do not know is how they would get the genes such as Cry/Fac on the models. Would they (they being the model makers) use a translucent resin to get that crystal effect?

I'm just trying to say that I support this with every fiber of my being.
PWdL4kj.png 5cx1lc.jpg
As someone who paints minis, I'm gonna have to say that genes are left entirely up to the miniature painter. Pre-painted minis can happen on a commission basis, but they're not all the feasible for a large-scale project unless they all come in the exact same colors (defeating the point).

Plastic or pewter molds are not that difficult to cast- the initial difficulty is making them in the first place. You would need two for each dragon for gender and pose differences on-site - apparel is something that COULD be implemented, but it'd be two for each dragon as well per apparel piece, and probably best left for the individual to work out how to make or not. You'd probably just have to paint them on.

Iridescent, shimmer, circuit, crystal, facet - these, along with dots or stripes or seraph or whatever - are all part of the paint job, don't affect the mold whatsoever.

What they should consider doing for this, if they do:

- sell each basic color as a paint, separately. Maybe buy them wholesale from a supplier after some experimentation on what fits each exact category, and sell them on a markup for profit sake.

- give hints for iridescent and facet (and related secondaries)- for, say, azure, you'll need greens as well. For rust, it goes into browns and sometimes pinks. Staring at your dragon and having a mixer on hand is really all you need to do to mock up a facsimile.

- hire an outside model artist with their dragons, and work with them for a 3-d model. I'd almost suggest seeing about the feasibility of a 3-d printer for the initial mold, to make things easier, and just making a 3-d model of these things first.

What they should NOT do -
Make apparel minis. You're going to have to mold it specifically for each dragon, a task that is going to leave out some, and become ridiculous very early on. The two models for each is just for gender poses and differences, I'm sorry to say. They could figure out how to make miniatures to attach on, but this would either require the userbase knowing how to drill into a mini and insert pins to hold things in place, or include holes for the option on the minis themselves, making the figure not as good for those who do not add apparel everywhere possible. This is best left on a commission basis within the userbase, I feel. The cost of making a model for each combination of dragons you can get, on call, is going to make it really not cost-effective for either them or you, the consumer.

Since apparel is mostly cloth anyway, I do feel that they can be made and applied by commission or by the individual if not just painted on. A tiny strip of leather, xactoed into perfection, and two sequins can make a passable goggle set, with the addition of some glue.

-Pre-color your dragon - cost and time will make these ridiculously expensive. Plus, you don't get the pride of having brought your dragon to life yourself. I do support outside people, or someone hired specifically to paint minis, but the cost is commission price, and anything with irishim or facetcrystal is going to get pricey.

Edit: oh right. Support.
As someone who paints minis, I'm gonna have to say that genes are left entirely up to the miniature painter. Pre-painted minis can happen on a commission basis, but they're not all the feasible for a large-scale project unless they all come in the exact same colors (defeating the point).

Plastic or pewter molds are not that difficult to cast- the initial difficulty is making them in the first place. You would need two for each dragon for gender and pose differences on-site - apparel is something that COULD be implemented, but it'd be two for each dragon as well per apparel piece, and probably best left for the individual to work out how to make or not. You'd probably just have to paint them on.

Iridescent, shimmer, circuit, crystal, facet - these, along with dots or stripes or seraph or whatever - are all part of the paint job, don't affect the mold whatsoever.

What they should consider doing for this, if they do:

- sell each basic color as a paint, separately. Maybe buy them wholesale from a supplier after some experimentation on what fits each exact category, and sell them on a markup for profit sake.

- give hints for iridescent and facet (and related secondaries)- for, say, azure, you'll need greens as well. For rust, it goes into browns and sometimes pinks. Staring at your dragon and having a mixer on hand is really all you need to do to mock up a facsimile.

- hire an outside model artist with their dragons, and work with them for a 3-d model. I'd almost suggest seeing about the feasibility of a 3-d printer for the initial mold, to make things easier, and just making a 3-d model of these things first.

What they should NOT do -
Make apparel minis. You're going to have to mold it specifically for each dragon, a task that is going to leave out some, and become ridiculous very early on. The two models for each is just for gender poses and differences, I'm sorry to say. They could figure out how to make miniatures to attach on, but this would either require the userbase knowing how to drill into a mini and insert pins to hold things in place, or include holes for the option on the minis themselves, making the figure not as good for those who do not add apparel everywhere possible. This is best left on a commission basis within the userbase, I feel. The cost of making a model for each combination of dragons you can get, on call, is going to make it really not cost-effective for either them or you, the consumer.

Since apparel is mostly cloth anyway, I do feel that they can be made and applied by commission or by the individual if not just painted on. A tiny strip of leather, xactoed into perfection, and two sequins can make a passable goggle set, with the addition of some glue.

-Pre-color your dragon - cost and time will make these ridiculously expensive. Plus, you don't get the pride of having brought your dragon to life yourself. I do support outside people, or someone hired specifically to paint minis, but the cost is commission price, and anything with irishim or facetcrystal is going to get pricey.

Edit: oh right. Support.
stormcatchersiggie_zps77a9946f.png
Support!

For paint, I think it would be nice to sell the paint separately. I think most people know where to find paint, but it also would be nice to have the option to get the accurate colors without experimenting.

I'm not sure how getting gembond or spines would work though.
Support!

For paint, I think it would be nice to sell the paint separately. I think most people know where to find paint, but it also would be nice to have the option to get the accurate colors without experimenting.

I'm not sure how getting gembond or spines would work though.
tumblr_inline_n6kduh3u891qlye38.gif

Alex | Any pronouns
This would be really cool and I would buy 10.

For the paints, I think they could pair with a paint producer and link to colors that would be each color if possible. Like "Blah's color Yellow makes our Banana!" sort of thing "Blah's color Deep Ocean (?) is our Azure!" etc.

Spines and gembond would be interesting, since it would triple the amount of molds needed. Gembond could just be painted on. Spines... I'm not sure about spines. They'd probably want to release a spines model but I'm not sure how viable it would be first go around...

But support overall!
This would be really cool and I would buy 10.

For the paints, I think they could pair with a paint producer and link to colors that would be each color if possible. Like "Blah's color Yellow makes our Banana!" sort of thing "Blah's color Deep Ocean (?) is our Azure!" etc.

Spines and gembond would be interesting, since it would triple the amount of molds needed. Gembond could just be painted on. Spines... I'm not sure about spines. They'd probably want to release a spines model but I'm not sure how viable it would be first go around...

But support overall!
That is a good point about Spines. Maybe that's a thing in the future - the initial point is get all dragon species out as male-female done. Include some poll to see interest in a spines model or not. The problem is that it's going to be even more fragile, and can be approximated by putting streaks of color on the dragon's back all the way down. It might be a little too complex/tiny to really work with, and make it a pain and a half more to paint.
That is a good point about Spines. Maybe that's a thing in the future - the initial point is get all dragon species out as male-female done. Include some poll to see interest in a spines model or not. The problem is that it's going to be even more fragile, and can be approximated by putting streaks of color on the dragon's back all the way down. It might be a little too complex/tiny to really work with, and make it a pain and a half more to paint.
stormcatchersiggie_zps77a9946f.png
[quote name="wittykitsune" date="2015-01-22 06:24:47"]To keep costs down I don't know if molds would be the best way, they probably couldn't package paints either to try to keep them feasible. 3D printing is another option and would probably be easier than making the custom molds though I'm not sure. I don't know how feasible this is right not but it might help if there was an indiegogo for it to help make it happen since start up costs for it would be a big expense.[/quote] That honestly depends. If they're making these things out of clay and plaster molds, its actually really inexpensive if made in bulk. Plaster is rather cheap, and the molds are durable enough to be re-used upwards of a hundred times. And the clay slip necessary is also rather cheap, something like 5 bucks for a gallon with only a relatively small amount needed for each piece since it just sort of "coats" the inside and is poured back out for thin, hollow pieces. Then you just have to factor in firing costs for kilns. 3-D printing, depending on the materials and process used, can actually be very expensive. The initial cost for the printer would already set them back quite a bit. Mold casting is something you can literally do fairly cheap in your own home, its an easy process. You just have to create the first model to make the molds from and you can make a very large amount of them from that one mold.
wittykitsune wrote on 2015-01-22 06:24:47:
To keep costs down I don't know if molds would be the best way, they probably couldn't package paints either to try to keep them feasible.

3D printing is another option and would probably be easier than making the custom molds though I'm not sure.

I don't know how feasible this is right not but it might help if there was an indiegogo for it to help make it happen since start up costs for it would be a big expense.

That honestly depends. If they're making these things out of clay and plaster molds, its actually really inexpensive if made in bulk. Plaster is rather cheap, and the molds are durable enough to be re-used upwards of a hundred times. And the clay slip necessary is also rather cheap, something like 5 bucks for a gallon with only a relatively small amount needed for each piece since it just sort of "coats" the inside and is poured back out for thin, hollow pieces. Then you just have to factor in firing costs for kilns.

3-D printing, depending on the materials and process used, can actually be very expensive. The initial cost for the printer would already set them back quite a bit. Mold casting is something you can literally do fairly cheap in your own home, its an easy process. You just have to create the first model to make the molds from and you can make a very large amount of them from that one mold.
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
Holy crap! Support!

This is a super neat idea. XD
Holy crap! Support!

This is a super neat idea. XD
3d print your dragon with all the apparel on them, get all the nice details that way.

It should be noted I understand the cost I'm being obtuse. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to do much until FR got much larger and they got way more staff.
3d print your dragon with all the apparel on them, get all the nice details that way.

It should be noted I understand the cost I'm being obtuse. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to do much until FR got much larger and they got way more staff.
No traveling dragons please!
might I suggest...

*anime glasses gleam*

plushies
might I suggest...

*anime glasses gleam*

plushies
2qwnfcg.jpg
1 2 3