Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Notifications when you've been quoted
Except, unlike a ping (the sole purpose of which is to get your attention, unlike a quote), it's an option.

Like, under account settings it can just say "Quote Notifications: Enable/Disable"
Except, unlike a ping (the sole purpose of which is to get your attention, unlike a quote), it's an option.

Like, under account settings it can just say "Quote Notifications: Enable/Disable"
tumblr_pvk94uYqSJ1tq8ghao5_500.png
Pool/Neen • She/Her • Avatar
No thanks unless it is automatically to disabled to begin with (and even then, I am a bit tired of "toggle" as an attempt to shoehorn in some suggestions people may not want). I hate being pinged enough as-is, but if people want, they can quote me without pinging. Dear arcanist, I would hate getting alerts for quotes.
No thanks unless it is automatically to disabled to begin with (and even then, I am a bit tired of "toggle" as an attempt to shoehorn in some suggestions people may not want). I hate being pinged enough as-is, but if people want, they can quote me without pinging. Dear arcanist, I would hate getting alerts for quotes.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I'm not too sure. In my experiences, people quote others to purposely avoid pinging them, myself included.
I'm not too sure. In my experiences, people quote others to purposely avoid pinging them, myself included.
No support. If you want to know when you're quoted, keep an eye on forums where you're having discussions, no? I think more users would be annoyed by this than not, and having it be "toggleable" just makes more work for the coders.
No support. If you want to know when you're quoted, keep an eye on forums where you're having discussions, no? I think more users would be annoyed by this than not, and having it be "toggleable" just makes more work for the coders.
tumblr_ntb77nGcGa1t4909xo1_400.png
I don't actually see a lot of quoting on threads, so it didn't occur to me that people do it for the sole purpose of avoiding pings. But I feel that, sorta. It could go a few ways, because on one hand, you might wanna say something about someone and not necessarily give them a notification about it, but on the other, I kinda feel like if someone's mentioning you, there shouldn't be a reason for them to want to purposely hide it from you? Idk

I also realize that toggles are cop-outs, but it would make it easier to please at least two different crowds, for a whole lot of suggestions where people add toggle options. Of course, since we don't get notifications now, I'd figure that they'd make it so that it stayed that way unless you had any particular reason to want to know when you've been quoted

Feelin u tho, feelin u
All peaceful here
I don't actually see a lot of quoting on threads, so it didn't occur to me that people do it for the sole purpose of avoiding pings. But I feel that, sorta. It could go a few ways, because on one hand, you might wanna say something about someone and not necessarily give them a notification about it, but on the other, I kinda feel like if someone's mentioning you, there shouldn't be a reason for them to want to purposely hide it from you? Idk

I also realize that toggles are cop-outs, but it would make it easier to please at least two different crowds, for a whole lot of suggestions where people add toggle options. Of course, since we don't get notifications now, I'd figure that they'd make it so that it stayed that way unless you had any particular reason to want to know when you've been quoted

Feelin u tho, feelin u
All peaceful here
tumblr_pvk94uYqSJ1tq8ghao5_500.png
Pool/Neen • She/Her • Avatar
@Woodkid Highfives for no drama, man. We all cool here.

It's not that I'm particularly opposed to the idea, really. I just want to funnel the devs' time and energy into stuff that I really DO care about as much as possible.
@Woodkid Highfives for no drama, man. We all cool here.

It's not that I'm particularly opposed to the idea, really. I just want to funnel the devs' time and energy into stuff that I really DO care about as much as possible.
tumblr_ntb77nGcGa1t4909xo1_400.png
I've seen people specifically request to be pinged in their signatures. That, IMO, is the best solution. Use your signature to let users know you want to be pinged and/or quoted (or not). If it's not important enough to use your signature to inform others, then it's probably not important enough to implement.
I've seen people specifically request to be pinged in their signatures. That, IMO, is the best solution. Use your signature to let users know you want to be pinged and/or quoted (or not). If it's not important enough to use your signature to inform others, then it's probably not important enough to implement.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
You can avoid pinging people by quote by just not quoting them directly from their post though right? Feel like that would be really simple. (As in copy pasting what they say into the quote code instead of clicking quote)

I don't see how toggle options are "cop outs" ???? Is accessibility and customization of features considered a bad thing now?

Either way I'm not against this but its not super high priority. It'd be a nice option though, so support.
You can avoid pinging people by quote by just not quoting them directly from their post though right? Feel like that would be really simple. (As in copy pasting what they say into the quote code instead of clicking quote)

I don't see how toggle options are "cop outs" ???? Is accessibility and customization of features considered a bad thing now?

Either way I'm not against this but its not super high priority. It'd be a nice option though, so support.
RU_SMALL.gif
I support.

Seriously, if it can be a toggle, what on earth is the harm? It can default to "no".

I'd love to get pinged when people quote me. I can't just "keep an eye" on the threads im discussing in because I post to a lot of different threads every day. You can bet your buns I don't have a list of forums a mile long to check each morning, wondering if someone quoted me to say something or whatever.

And I don't think a toggle is a way to get in things that people don't want. A toggle is a way of saying "I see that some people want this and some don't, and this shouldn't have to NOT be a thing just because some people don't want it. However, I acknowledge that some people wouldn't like this and am therefore giving them the option of not participating."

It's a courtesy, not a way to bypass suggestions. That way just because some people don't want it, it doesn't need to be shot down for those that do. And no one is obligated to participate. Sure sounds like a win-win to me.

Besides, suggestions that are truly gamebreaking, damaging to some aspect of the game or the way others play, or the lore or whatever, won't pass anyways. So what's wrong with adding in these harmless little things with an option to opt out if you don't want it? No harm at all.
I support.

Seriously, if it can be a toggle, what on earth is the harm? It can default to "no".

I'd love to get pinged when people quote me. I can't just "keep an eye" on the threads im discussing in because I post to a lot of different threads every day. You can bet your buns I don't have a list of forums a mile long to check each morning, wondering if someone quoted me to say something or whatever.

And I don't think a toggle is a way to get in things that people don't want. A toggle is a way of saying "I see that some people want this and some don't, and this shouldn't have to NOT be a thing just because some people don't want it. However, I acknowledge that some people wouldn't like this and am therefore giving them the option of not participating."

It's a courtesy, not a way to bypass suggestions. That way just because some people don't want it, it doesn't need to be shot down for those that do. And no one is obligated to participate. Sure sounds like a win-win to me.

Besides, suggestions that are truly gamebreaking, damaging to some aspect of the game or the way others play, or the lore or whatever, won't pass anyways. So what's wrong with adding in these harmless little things with an option to opt out if you don't want it? No harm at all.
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
[quote name="EnchantingCurse" date="2014-11-16 10:04:30"]I support. Seriously, if it can be a toggle, what on earth is the harm? It can default to "no". I'd love to get pinged when people quote me. I can't just "keep an eye" on the threads im discussing in because I post to a lot of different threads every day. You can bet your buns I don't have a list of forums a mile long to check each morning, wondering if someone quoted me to say something or whatever. And I don't think a toggle is a way to get in things that people don't want. A toggle is a way of saying "I see that some people want this and some don't, and this shouldn't have to NOT be a thing just because some people don't want it. However, I acknowledge that some people wouldn't like this and am therefore giving them the option of not participating." It's a courtesy, not a way to bypass suggestions. That way just because some people don't want it, it doesn't need to be shot down for those that do.[b] And no one is obligated to participate. [/b] Sure sounds like a win-win to me. Besides, suggestions that are truly gamebreaking, damaging to some aspect of the game or the way others play, or the lore or whatever, won't pass anyways. So what's wrong with adding in these harmless little things with an option to opt out if you don't want it? No harm at all.[/quote] Exactly. Just because you personally do not want to deal with notifications or pings doesn't mean that this is a default bad idea. I'd love this feature. As EnchantingCurse said, people post to a lot of forums, and unfortunately, the forum search is down and I'm not going to spend time hunting down every forum I've posted in just to see if it's progressed any or if I've been quoted. And honestly, it doesn't take more than five seconds go to into account settings and toggle something. A lot of us do this often because of site issues with the sockets to see if that changes any. If you can't take three seconds out of your day to disable something, then I don't see the harm it in being set to automatically disabled. So support. We have no idea how difficult this would be to code or not. For all we know the algorithm to implement this is very similar to the pinging system. So it'd just be more of a matter of c/p and editing the coding.
EnchantingCurse wrote on 2014-11-16 10:04:30:
I support.

Exactly. Just because you personally do not want to deal with notifications or pings doesn't mean that this is a default bad idea. I'd love this feature. As EnchantingCurse said, people post to a lot of forums, and unfortunately, the forum search is down and I'm not going to spend time hunting down every forum I've posted in just to see if it's progressed any or if I've been quoted. And honestly, it doesn't take more than five seconds go to into account settings and toggle something. A lot of us do this often because of site issues with the sockets to see if that changes any. If you can't take three seconds out of your day to disable something, then I don't see the harm it in being set to automatically disabled.

So support. We have no idea how difficult this would be to code or not. For all we know the algorithm to implement this is very similar to the pinging system. So it'd just be more of a matter of c/p and editing the coding.
XcyS55e.png