Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Brood Parasite Dragon
1 2
I think it would be neat to have a dragon breed whose egg(s) can only (rarely) be found in other's nests. Like, you've got your pair all set to breed, then at some point in the incubation you notice an extra egg that wasn't there before (or it was at the beginning but hatches to be a this brood parasite's breed). They'd be basic and colors randomly generated (like normal gen 1 eggs). If these dragons don't breed and hatch nests like others they would maintain a high rarity status as well.

Of course, I don't know how it would effect the current breeding setup, and it's similar enough to just finding an egg during scavenging, but I've always thought brood parasitism in egg laying organisms to be really interesting, and a dragon breed that does just that would be really cool.

Edit: Or possibly a familiar that does this? (since that wouldn't interrupt the breeding function of dragons)
I think it would be neat to have a dragon breed whose egg(s) can only (rarely) be found in other's nests. Like, you've got your pair all set to breed, then at some point in the incubation you notice an extra egg that wasn't there before (or it was at the beginning but hatches to be a this brood parasite's breed). They'd be basic and colors randomly generated (like normal gen 1 eggs). If these dragons don't breed and hatch nests like others they would maintain a high rarity status as well.

Of course, I don't know how it would effect the current breeding setup, and it's similar enough to just finding an egg during scavenging, but I've always thought brood parasitism in egg laying organisms to be really interesting, and a dragon breed that does just that would be really cool.

Edit: Or possibly a familiar that does this? (since that wouldn't interrupt the breeding function of dragons)
If you like to RP, interact with clan lore, or just like telling stories, check out
Flight Rising Flat Stanley Project.
I'm always up for hearing your clan lore
Is it a new breed of dragon? Or is it just a surprise because it's a random dragon with different colors?
Is it a new breed of dragon? Or is it just a surprise because it's a random dragon with different colors?
U58SZuw.png
@Danerys

Well considering none of the current dragons have anything about being a brood parasite, probably a new one unless dragon backgrounds change (like x dragon occasionally being a brood parasite).
@Danerys

Well considering none of the current dragons have anything about being a brood parasite, probably a new one unless dragon backgrounds change (like x dragon occasionally being a brood parasite).
If you like to RP, interact with clan lore, or just like telling stories, check out
Flight Rising Flat Stanley Project.
I'm always up for hearing your clan lore
I think this could be kind of fun, especially if they themselves couldn't breed? Then having one could be a kind of novelty or trophy.
I think this could be kind of fun, especially if they themselves couldn't breed? Then having one could be a kind of novelty or trophy.
U58SZuw.png
That would be super cool! I 100% support. If this dragon isn't able to be bred by players then would it make more sense for them to have a chance of not being basic so people didn't have to gene them?
That would be super cool! I 100% support. If this dragon isn't able to be bred by players then would it make more sense for them to have a chance of not being basic so people didn't have to gene them?
Three hours ahead of FR time
All dergs in lair without a familiar are for sale
As long as it doesn't change one of the already existing eggs into something new, support.
As long as it doesn't change one of the already existing eggs into something new, support.
This actually sounds really cool? Support, definitely.

If all it does is add an extra egg and do no harm to the nest/parents/other hatchlings, then it sounds like it would be fine.

But really, how awesome would it be if this was a new dragon breed or maybe even appeared as some kind of gene? Okay, bare with me I'm gonna ramble because I love parasitic creatures.

So like how gembond and spines both are kind of three dimensional, maybe this could be some kind of super rare tert gene that comes in only one color that you can't get through breeding (like Tiffany) and it can't be bred since the parasite makes the dragon infertile? So the primary and secondary colors, and the breed and genes, would all be the same as the parents like regular breeding, but the tert gene/color would be different and that's the parasite. It would be fun to add a dragon-specific parasite for lore reasons and to just have one to show off in your lair? (One of these things is not like the other...)

Or! Just a whole different dragon breed entirely. 100% brood parasite Cuckoo bird stuff. Honestly, it might be better (if it was a whole new dragon breed) for them to be basic like the unhatched eggs you can find in gathering. You can get new gen 1 dragons with gathering, so why not get these (for all intents and purposes) sterile dragons you get with breeding? New breeds are fun, and little touches and rare finds are fun too. (One of these things just doesn't belong...)

The only possible problem I might see is that there would become a huge market for these super rare trophy dragons, but also that really doesn't seem too bad? It would just be like adding a rare familiar or article of clothing into the game. And, should it be a basic dragon like an unhatched egg, it might be a nice little treasure sink since people will probably want to gene their cool new trophy parasites.

So yeah, man, I would absolutely love to see something like this implemented.
This actually sounds really cool? Support, definitely.

If all it does is add an extra egg and do no harm to the nest/parents/other hatchlings, then it sounds like it would be fine.

But really, how awesome would it be if this was a new dragon breed or maybe even appeared as some kind of gene? Okay, bare with me I'm gonna ramble because I love parasitic creatures.

So like how gembond and spines both are kind of three dimensional, maybe this could be some kind of super rare tert gene that comes in only one color that you can't get through breeding (like Tiffany) and it can't be bred since the parasite makes the dragon infertile? So the primary and secondary colors, and the breed and genes, would all be the same as the parents like regular breeding, but the tert gene/color would be different and that's the parasite. It would be fun to add a dragon-specific parasite for lore reasons and to just have one to show off in your lair? (One of these things is not like the other...)

Or! Just a whole different dragon breed entirely. 100% brood parasite Cuckoo bird stuff. Honestly, it might be better (if it was a whole new dragon breed) for them to be basic like the unhatched eggs you can find in gathering. You can get new gen 1 dragons with gathering, so why not get these (for all intents and purposes) sterile dragons you get with breeding? New breeds are fun, and little touches and rare finds are fun too. (One of these things just doesn't belong...)

The only possible problem I might see is that there would become a huge market for these super rare trophy dragons, but also that really doesn't seem too bad? It would just be like adding a rare familiar or article of clothing into the game. And, should it be a basic dragon like an unhatched egg, it might be a nice little treasure sink since people will probably want to gene their cool new trophy parasites.

So yeah, man, I would absolutely love to see something like this implemented.
Make this tiny goat a familiar.
Micro Goat
Whoops, I might have tried my hand at drawing a brood parasite dragon breed? Even though I'm bad at art and I'm sure this doesn't convey fully what I want? [img]http://i.imgur.com/M3z0LW2.png[/img] I tried to make it look kind of like an avian-Shadowbinder kind of thing since, let's face it, if any deity would create a brood parasite dragon, I think it would be Shadowbinder.
Whoops, I might have tried my hand at drawing a brood parasite dragon breed? Even though I'm bad at art and I'm sure this doesn't convey fully what I want?

M3z0LW2.png

I tried to make it look kind of like an avian-Shadowbinder kind of thing since, let's face it, if any deity would create a brood parasite dragon, I think it would be Shadowbinder.
Micro Goat
An idea to make it more obvious that an egg wasn't stolen from you but rather added could the parasite be a random element and not necessarily the element of the nest?

The one bad thing that could occur with this that I can think of, people could start overbreeding the 15 day cooldown dragons and flood the AH with all the nests that aren't giving them the parasite, which would mess up the economy even worse. Could that be fixed by given a certain number of nest you breed per month or something that have a chance to get this other egg?

I think overall a new species would make more sense than a new tert because people might feel like they are getting the tert they were trying to breed stolen from them.
An idea to make it more obvious that an egg wasn't stolen from you but rather added could the parasite be a random element and not necessarily the element of the nest?

The one bad thing that could occur with this that I can think of, people could start overbreeding the 15 day cooldown dragons and flood the AH with all the nests that aren't giving them the parasite, which would mess up the economy even worse. Could that be fixed by given a certain number of nest you breed per month or something that have a chance to get this other egg?

I think overall a new species would make more sense than a new tert because people might feel like they are getting the tert they were trying to breed stolen from them.
Three hours ahead of FR time
All dergs in lair without a familiar are for sale
Well it wouldn't necessarily be "stolen" from them. It would be an extra egg, so I'm assuming that if they have a nest of three eggs and one of them turns out to be this brood parasite, then that means they were only going to have two eggs initially. It's like when you gather, you're not losing anything by finding an unhatched egg. Though the idea of another Flight's egg in the nest does sound interesting, even if brood parasites usually just lay the egg in the host nest.

As for the market place, yeah, I forgot about that.

I believe there technically already is a limit to amount of nests per month. If you have all the nest slots unlocked, you can only have 30 nests per month, which can amount anywhere from 30 hatchlings to 150 hatchlings per month, assuming you have some kind of astounding luck. But even then, I can't really get behind making that number even less. I think the average player isn't going to be aiming for that many nests filled unless they're heavy on dominance.

Maybe if there was more reason to exalt? (most problems seem like they would be solved with more exalting) There always needs to be more rewards for exalting, so maybe if the staff finally make that exalt shop or give more incentive, this brood parasite could be added into the game.

Maybe the parasite will only show up in nests that have more rarer dragons (SD and up waiting range?), so unless someone has some sixty SDs sitting around, they can't spam?

I remember seeing a topic about the Fertility Statues being put to use. Maybe only if you have these (extremely hard to find) statues, then that's when you have a chance of getting one of the parasites in your nest so people can't spam nests as easily?

This suggestion seems to work well with a lot of other suggestions I've seen in this forum, but yeah. It does pose the chance that people will nest spam. :/
Well it wouldn't necessarily be "stolen" from them. It would be an extra egg, so I'm assuming that if they have a nest of three eggs and one of them turns out to be this brood parasite, then that means they were only going to have two eggs initially. It's like when you gather, you're not losing anything by finding an unhatched egg. Though the idea of another Flight's egg in the nest does sound interesting, even if brood parasites usually just lay the egg in the host nest.

As for the market place, yeah, I forgot about that.

I believe there technically already is a limit to amount of nests per month. If you have all the nest slots unlocked, you can only have 30 nests per month, which can amount anywhere from 30 hatchlings to 150 hatchlings per month, assuming you have some kind of astounding luck. But even then, I can't really get behind making that number even less. I think the average player isn't going to be aiming for that many nests filled unless they're heavy on dominance.

Maybe if there was more reason to exalt? (most problems seem like they would be solved with more exalting) There always needs to be more rewards for exalting, so maybe if the staff finally make that exalt shop or give more incentive, this brood parasite could be added into the game.

Maybe the parasite will only show up in nests that have more rarer dragons (SD and up waiting range?), so unless someone has some sixty SDs sitting around, they can't spam?

I remember seeing a topic about the Fertility Statues being put to use. Maybe only if you have these (extremely hard to find) statues, then that's when you have a chance of getting one of the parasites in your nest so people can't spam nests as easily?

This suggestion seems to work well with a lot of other suggestions I've seen in this forum, but yeah. It does pose the chance that people will nest spam. :/
Micro Goat
1 2