Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Swipp Genes
1 2
[quote name="TaffertianTales" date="2014-09-04 11:33:16"]I'd like a coli and Swipp scroll as well, but I think a gathering one might be too hard.[/quote] So? We've got some difficult to get gathering familiars that hold their value well, a Gathering gene scroll would hold its value very well, and if you take in account the scarcity of a scroll obtained by gathering and consider how long it took imps (who could be almost guarenteered by breeding to a wildclaw) to drop in price, a gather gened dragon would likely hold its value for a while
TaffertianTales wrote on 2014-09-04 11:33:16:
I'd like a coli and Swipp scroll as well, but I think a gathering one might be too hard.
So? We've got some difficult to get gathering familiars that hold their value well, a Gathering gene scroll would hold its value very well, and if you take in account the scarcity of a scroll obtained by gathering and consider how long it took imps (who could be almost guarenteered by breeding to a wildclaw) to drop in price, a gather gened dragon would likely hold its value for a while
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
I don't know if the programming would work well, but if you really want to make everyone cry and rend their garments make a rare gene, make one that doesn't always breed true. Call it, for fun, Mutagen. So breed Muta to anything else, and occasionally (1%? 5%? 10%?) you get Muta, and mostly you get what you bred it to. Muta-Muta breedings? Okay, 25%-50% of the time, maybe, you get Muta, and the rest of the time you get... something. Something random. Maybe you even get a WTH-Did-That-Color-Basic come from? (Like it could scatterscroll the color for the primary/secondary/tertiary it attaches to.)

Or, hey, make a gene called Randomize! RandoPrime? You get a random color/gene-effect on the body, each time. RandoSecond? Who knows what wings you'll get! RandoTert? Well, you'll get something... Maybe. Maybe "Basic" is included in the Randomize list.

Then it doesn't entirely matter if everything has the Randomize gene, or even if they're gened for Triple Random; it's rolling dice to see if you get something for keeping or selling or exalting. Some people will love the effects, and some people will haaaaate it. (But if you have, say, a progenitor whose tert-color you hate, slap RandoTerts on them till they get "Random:Basic," and at least there's a chance their offspring will have an interesting color/pattern...?)

Another option, of course, is that putting Randomize on a dragon won't actually do anything very noticeable to their extant color -- it'll only affect their offspring.

(For extra fun, maybe a Triple Random bred to a Triple Random would give you a random breed of hatchlings! So two Triple Random Coatls could have a wildclaw, a mirror, and a fae... Or triple-R Faes could have a Coatl. Rarely. Randomly.)

Would it hold value? Might -- it'd be something to use to "patch" a dragon who looks nice "plain" in one or more genes, but you'd have the "yay, a gene there!" and their offspring might be more valuable because of it.

Heck, maybe Random wouldn't breed true. So if you bred Random-Random, and got offspring with Tiger markings, the gene they'd have would be Tiger. (And the proportions would be... similar to the rarities of the given genes in the first place? Though with Basic being less likely?)

But the programming on that might be a nightmare, alas. They'd essentially have to bind it to a primary/secondary/tertiary "scatterscroll" effect on each of the eggs.
I don't know if the programming would work well, but if you really want to make everyone cry and rend their garments make a rare gene, make one that doesn't always breed true. Call it, for fun, Mutagen. So breed Muta to anything else, and occasionally (1%? 5%? 10%?) you get Muta, and mostly you get what you bred it to. Muta-Muta breedings? Okay, 25%-50% of the time, maybe, you get Muta, and the rest of the time you get... something. Something random. Maybe you even get a WTH-Did-That-Color-Basic come from? (Like it could scatterscroll the color for the primary/secondary/tertiary it attaches to.)

Or, hey, make a gene called Randomize! RandoPrime? You get a random color/gene-effect on the body, each time. RandoSecond? Who knows what wings you'll get! RandoTert? Well, you'll get something... Maybe. Maybe "Basic" is included in the Randomize list.

Then it doesn't entirely matter if everything has the Randomize gene, or even if they're gened for Triple Random; it's rolling dice to see if you get something for keeping or selling or exalting. Some people will love the effects, and some people will haaaaate it. (But if you have, say, a progenitor whose tert-color you hate, slap RandoTerts on them till they get "Random:Basic," and at least there's a chance their offspring will have an interesting color/pattern...?)

Another option, of course, is that putting Randomize on a dragon won't actually do anything very noticeable to their extant color -- it'll only affect their offspring.

(For extra fun, maybe a Triple Random bred to a Triple Random would give you a random breed of hatchlings! So two Triple Random Coatls could have a wildclaw, a mirror, and a fae... Or triple-R Faes could have a Coatl. Rarely. Randomly.)

Would it hold value? Might -- it'd be something to use to "patch" a dragon who looks nice "plain" in one or more genes, but you'd have the "yay, a gene there!" and their offspring might be more valuable because of it.

Heck, maybe Random wouldn't breed true. So if you bred Random-Random, and got offspring with Tiger markings, the gene they'd have would be Tiger. (And the proportions would be... similar to the rarities of the given genes in the first place? Though with Basic being less likely?)

But the programming on that might be a nightmare, alas. They'd essentially have to bind it to a primary/secondary/tertiary "scatterscroll" effect on each of the eggs.
[quote name="DragonSage" date="2014-09-04 12:49:09"][quote name="TaffertianTales" date="2014-09-04 11:33:16"]I'd like a coli and Swipp scroll as well, but I think a gathering one might be too hard.[/quote] So? We've got some difficult to get gathering familiars that hold their value well, a Gathering gene scroll would hold its value very well, and if you take in account the scarcity of a scroll obtained by gathering and consider how long it took imps (who could be almost guarenteered by breeding to a wildclaw) to drop in price, a gather gened dragon would likely hold its value for a while[/quote]I know, I know. XD We can have a gathering one, too. ----------- @ArchangelBeth: I like it but slightly differently. If it were a single use or multiple use item that you gave a dragon and it affected their offspring only. I feel that affecting the adults would either be useless (we have Remove Gene or Gene scrolls and Scatter scrolls) or too easy (an item randomizing 1 color is not popular because of this).
DragonSage wrote on 2014-09-04 12:49:09:
TaffertianTales wrote on 2014-09-04 11:33:16:
I'd like a coli and Swipp scroll as well, but I think a gathering one might be too hard.
So? We've got some difficult to get gathering familiars that hold their value well, a Gathering gene scroll would hold its value very well, and if you take in account the scarcity of a scroll obtained by gathering and consider how long it took imps (who could be almost guarenteered by breeding to a wildclaw) to drop in price, a gather gened dragon would likely hold its value for a while
I know, I know. XD We can have a gathering one, too.
@ArchangelBeth: I like it but slightly differently. If it were a single use or multiple use item that you gave a dragon and it affected their offspring only. I feel that affecting the adults would either be useless (we have Remove Gene or Gene scrolls and Scatter scrolls) or too easy (an item randomizing 1 color is not popular because of this).
1qad2pq.jpg
While we're talking about different ways to get genes, I do like [url=http://dramarising.tumblr.com/post/96707698794/you-know-what-would-be-neat-if-there-was-a-random]this idea[/url]: [quote]You know what would be neat? If there was a random gene that wasn’t hereditary - something like shiny Pokemon, with a very very low chance of any dragon from any nest hatching with it. Imagine hatching an exalt fodder nest and getting a rare-ass dragon worth a fortune![/quote] [size=8][s]I know it's that blog but I couldn't log in and I was bored.[/s][/size]
While we're talking about different ways to get genes, I do like this idea:
Quote:
You know what would be neat? If there was a random gene that wasn’t hereditary - something like shiny Pokemon, with a very very low chance of any dragon from any nest hatching with it. Imagine hatching an exalt fodder nest and getting a rare-*** dragon worth a fortune!
I know it's that blog but I couldn't log in and I was bored.
1qad2pq.jpg
1 2