Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Breed with Sexual Dimorphism
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I want a breed on FR with extreme sexual dimorphism that is evident in the art. And I want it to reflect most sexual dimorphism that exists on earth in some fish and insects (even though everyone says FR isn't based on things on earth etc etc, just hear me out). Imagine a dragon breed whose females were 30 to 40 percent larger than the males. Imagine a dragon breed where the males are mostly grounded with true vestigial wings and the females have massive flight wings. Just think about that for a bit. Because we have dragons with sexual dimorphism that favors the males, I want to see some that favors the females. Massively. Think like angler fish dimorphism. [b]edit[/b] (expansion and clarification) Doesn't have to be restricted to just female favored sexual dimorphism, I just wanted an example of something not shown on site. Tundras can be considered a male favored sexual dimorphism with their manes and such, but I'm thinking in a larger scope, something more extreme. to clarify, it does not mean the art itself will be smaller, it would be things like length and weight of the dragon in addition to clear anatomical differences in the illustrations, moreso than just the pose differences. [b]edit 2[/b] The dimorphism should [i]only[/i] be exhibited in the adult art. Hatchling art, as it has always been on the site, will be identical for male and female hatchlings of the breed. [b]Examples[/b] [quote name="DunkTheBiscuit" date="2014-07-11 10:01:41"]... I can totally see a big, strong female with a fussy little colourful male. I know it won't fit the site lore really, but what I [b]really [/b]see in that scenario is a big strong matriarch with several little drone males, all of whom might have fertilized her eggs but none of them are completely sure so they all play the father role. Great for nest protection and nestling feeding! Just like hedge sparrows do in the UK.[/quote]
I want a breed on FR with extreme sexual dimorphism that is evident in the art.

And I want it to reflect most sexual dimorphism that exists on earth in some fish and insects (even though everyone says FR isn't based on things on earth etc etc, just hear me out).

Imagine a dragon breed whose females were 30 to 40 percent larger than the males.

Imagine a dragon breed where the males are mostly grounded with true vestigial wings and the females have massive flight wings.

Just think about that for a bit.

Because we have dragons with sexual dimorphism that favors the males, I want to see some that favors the females. Massively. Think like angler fish dimorphism.

edit (expansion and clarification)

Doesn't have to be restricted to just female favored sexual dimorphism, I just wanted an example of something not shown on site. Tundras can be considered a male favored sexual dimorphism with their manes and such, but I'm thinking in a larger scope, something more extreme.

to clarify, it does not mean the art itself will be smaller, it would be things like length and weight of the dragon in addition to clear anatomical differences in the illustrations, moreso than just the pose differences.

edit 2

The dimorphism should only be exhibited in the adult art. Hatchling art, as it has always been on the site, will be identical for male and female hatchlings of the breed.

Examples
DunkTheBiscuit wrote on 2014-07-11 10:01:41:
I can totally see a big, strong female with a fussy little colourful male. I know it won't fit the site lore really, but what I really see in that scenario is a big strong matriarch with several little drone males, all of whom might have fertilized her eggs but none of them are completely sure so they all play the father role. Great for nest protection and nestling feeding! Just like hedge sparrows do in the UK.
tumblr_mzqgzklaBt1sk7pgko1_250.png
This would be so rad. Incredibly rad. The raddest.

Support.
This would be so rad. Incredibly rad. The raddest.

Support.
hu72dVR.png
Yessssss! Just more sexual dimorphism in general really, the Guardian males little 'beard' really doesn't cut it xD But a huge *** female dragon and tiny male ones would be sweet.
Yessssss! Just more sexual dimorphism in general really, the Guardian males little 'beard' really doesn't cut it xD But a huge *** female dragon and tiny male ones would be sweet.
I'm usually asleep/at work between 12pm - 8am FR time
oUkKcU4.png ROyFQqy.png
Support!
Support!
1qad2pq.jpg
@Adi486

And the whiskers on Imperials

and the horns on Pearlcatchers...

NEED MORE DIMORPHISM.
@Adi486

And the whiskers on Imperials

and the horns on Pearlcatchers...

NEED MORE DIMORPHISM.
@stigma Lady Imps don't have whiskers? D: I never noticed...but yeah they're all really small examples. NEED MORE DIMORPHISM.
@stigma Lady Imps don't have whiskers? D: I never noticed...but yeah they're all really small examples. NEED MORE DIMORPHISM.
I'm usually asleep/at work between 12pm - 8am FR time
oUkKcU4.png ROyFQqy.png
@Adi486

i think the first set of female imp whiskers are shorter than the male's... other than that female wcs have slightly longer horns.
@Adi486

i think the first set of female imp whiskers are shorter than the male's... other than that female wcs have slightly longer horns.
I was working on a two-headed dragon breed where the males had sunken in faces and glowing eyes, and the females had covered faces with no eyes. Instead, the females had vents that glowed with their element color around where the eyes would be.

I scrapped it when the Imperial lore came out. :C
I was working on a two-headed dragon breed where the males had sunken in faces and glowing eyes, and the females had covered faces with no eyes. Instead, the females had vents that glowed with their element color around where the eyes would be.

I scrapped it when the Imperial lore came out. :C
Looking for a Generation One dragon of these specifications:
Female - Wind/Light/Ice - Charcoal/Stone/Beige
There are currently none. If you happen to hatch one, MESSAGE ME PLEASE!
I will pay very handsomely for this dragon.
@Khurona

... and that the formula for dragon apparel is one head, four legs (two fore, two hind), two wings, one tail.

but man i wish i could have multi headed dragons that weren't dead and were not imperials.
@Khurona

... and that the formula for dragon apparel is one head, four legs (two fore, two hind), two wings, one tail.

but man i wish i could have multi headed dragons that weren't dead and were not imperials.
@stigma

I've heard the six limbs thing. Didn't think a single head would be a thing, since you could just draw apparel on both heads, unlike floating wing apparel for dragons with no wings rofl.

Although, it would be kinda cool to have a three-headed plague-based dragon that are basically Emperors that the Plaguebringer took and molded in her own image. The middle head being the main head, and the two side heads being smaller and less "important", a la Hydreigon.
@stigma

I've heard the six limbs thing. Didn't think a single head would be a thing, since you could just draw apparel on both heads, unlike floating wing apparel for dragons with no wings rofl.

Although, it would be kinda cool to have a three-headed plague-based dragon that are basically Emperors that the Plaguebringer took and molded in her own image. The middle head being the main head, and the two side heads being smaller and less "important", a la Hydreigon.
Looking for a Generation One dragon of these specifications:
Female - Wind/Light/Ice - Charcoal/Stone/Beige
There are currently none. If you happen to hatch one, MESSAGE ME PLEASE!
I will pay very handsomely for this dragon.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10