Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [DISCUSSION] SS Skyline: Mafia’s Voyage
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80 81
Wow proofreading that would've saved me from awkward transitions but adhd brain goes brr. Anyways! Will be reading, ping me if you need my attention!
Wow proofreading that would've saved me from awkward transitions but adhd brain goes brr. Anyways! Will be reading, ping me if you need my attention!
cg9IgXW.png ......
the name's sage! | i promise i'm not scary
25 • he / him • neutral good
@terrify why is my playstyle question causing you suspicion?

@terrify why is my playstyle question causing you suspicion?

neil
it/its + he/him
the comic sanser
p8qgXPn.gif [/url
@polybius0147 To give a reason - I don't particularly like the question asked in conjunction to your proposed playstyle, I suppose. I felt it was pretty suspicious. If you're fishing for people's playstyles, in my opinion, you're sniffing out - meta-wise - how a person generally acts. I do enjoy conversations, but asking people about meta stuff tends to... idk... feel always strange to me. Maybe it's because I don't like talking about myself, but it always seems performative. Everyone is gonna say that they play well as a townie. If we wanted to be less performative, I'd say that people would also include how they play as mafia. *shrugshrug* And in response to how my personal feelings about playstyle meta talk, I find how you said you play to be [i]incredibly[/i] illuminating. [quote name="Polybius0147" date="2023-09-24 08:27:07" ] i tend to look for town first and then sort out who is left. im a very big defender of my TRs regardless and tend to shield them from elims if other people seem to be gunning for them. [/quote] particularly this. Now, I get scumhunting is kind of hard. I'm not about to say I'm a master scumhunter. But I will say that the method of finding town first and then defending them tooth and nail to be kind of scummy behavior. It seems like you're trusting someone who has a really well constructed mask and easily led at best, and then at worst, someone from the mafia looking for a meta excuse to fall back on if their buddy gets eliminated anyways. I can agree that having a reference and bias is good, but I don't think anyone should be fiercely defending their town reads as much as they should be defending their mafia reads.
@polybius0147

To give a reason -

I don't particularly like the question asked in conjunction to your proposed playstyle, I suppose. I felt it was pretty suspicious.

If you're fishing for people's playstyles, in my opinion, you're sniffing out - meta-wise - how a person generally acts. I do enjoy conversations, but asking people about meta stuff tends to... idk... feel always strange to me. Maybe it's because I don't like talking about myself, but it always seems performative. Everyone is gonna say that they play well as a townie.

If we wanted to be less performative, I'd say that people would also include how they play as mafia. *shrugshrug*

And in response to how my personal feelings about playstyle meta talk, I find how you said you play to be incredibly illuminating.

Polybius0147 wrote on 2023-09-24 08:27:07:
i tend to look for town first and then sort out who is left. im a very big defender of my TRs regardless and tend to shield them from elims if other people seem to be gunning for them.

particularly this.

Now, I get scumhunting is kind of hard. I'm not about to say I'm a master scumhunter. But I will say that the method of finding town first and then defending them tooth and nail to be kind of scummy behavior.

It seems like you're trusting someone who has a really well constructed mask and easily led at best, and then at worst, someone from the mafia looking for a meta excuse to fall back on if their buddy gets eliminated anyways.

I can agree that having a reference and bias is good, but I don't think anyone should be fiercely defending their town reads as much as they should be defending their mafia reads.
cg9IgXW.png ......
the name's sage! | i promise i'm not scary
25 • he / him • neutral good
[quote name="terrify" date="2023-09-24 10:36:44" ] @polybius0147 To give a reason - I don't particularly like the question asked in conjunction to your proposed playstyle, I suppose. I felt it was pretty suspicious. If you're fishing for people's playstyles, in my opinion, you're sniffing out - meta-wise - how a person generally acts. I do enjoy conversations, but asking people about meta stuff tends to... idk... feel always strange to me. Maybe it's because I don't like talking about myself, but it always seems performative. Everyone is gonna say that they play well as a townie. If we wanted to be less performative, I'd say that people would also include how they play as mafia. *shrugshrug* And in response to how my personal feelings about playstyle meta talk, I find how you said you play to be [i]incredibly[/i] illuminating. [quote name="Polybius0147" date="2023-09-24 08:27:07" ] i tend to look for town first and then sort out who is left. im a very big defender of my TRs regardless and tend to shield them from elims if other people seem to be gunning for them. [/quote] particularly this. Now, I get scumhunting is kind of hard. I'm not about to say I'm a master scumhunter. But I will say that the method of finding town first and then defending them tooth and nail to be kind of scummy behavior. It seems like you're trusting someone who has a really well constructed mask and easily led at best, and then at worst, someone from the mafia looking for a meta excuse to fall back on if their buddy gets eliminated anyways. I can agree that having a reference and bias is good, but I don't think anyone should be fiercely defending their town reads as much as they should be defending their mafia reads. [/quote] [font=comic sans] eh, this is why i ask though. if im playing with people, and i trust them to be town, i want to use that insight to better help me. if im a really good towncorer, and you think im town, then the combination of these two facts should help you find my own townreads. if im a really good scumhunter, and you see i have a SR on someone, and think that im town, then you'd be more inclined to sheep that as well. its not really something i'd heavily put under a meta read either, but i guess? regardless i think unless you... also have meta on somebody, you don't know whether them asking for meta is AI regardless. i find it odd that you're saying everybody thinks they do well as towny; while both the folks who... answered that question remarked not feeling very strong about their townplay? or at minimum unsure. whats your take on that, then? i don't really ask people how they play as mafia as much because i personally don't like answering that question ^w^ hope that helps. anyways. not really sure i like you shading my playstyle like that, but if i have a strong TR on somebody, why should I [i]not[/i] advocate for them to not be yeeted? ive played several games where town's gone for other town's throat and when my advocations have been correct. my own experience also says that... mafia don't give as much for that. sure mafia can pocket people, but mafia almost always wants to yeet a town for an elimination, as opposed to a mafia in their stead. and thus that sort of behaviour is only... really likely if the wagons are already t/t? and even then its ~likely mafia would more easily sit back then if the top candidates are t/t anyways. [/font]
terrify wrote on 2023-09-24 10:36:44:
@polybius0147

To give a reason -

I don't particularly like the question asked in conjunction to your proposed playstyle, I suppose. I felt it was pretty suspicious.

If you're fishing for people's playstyles, in my opinion, you're sniffing out - meta-wise - how a person generally acts. I do enjoy conversations, but asking people about meta stuff tends to... idk... feel always strange to me. Maybe it's because I don't like talking about myself, but it always seems performative. Everyone is gonna say that they play well as a townie.

If we wanted to be less performative, I'd say that people would also include how they play as mafia. *shrugshrug*

And in response to how my personal feelings about playstyle meta talk, I find how you said you play to be incredibly illuminating.

Polybius0147 wrote on 2023-09-24 08:27:07:
i tend to look for town first and then sort out who is left. im a very big defender of my TRs regardless and tend to shield them from elims if other people seem to be gunning for them.

particularly this.

Now, I get scumhunting is kind of hard. I'm not about to say I'm a master scumhunter. But I will say that the method of finding town first and then defending them tooth and nail to be kind of scummy behavior.

It seems like you're trusting someone who has a really well constructed mask and easily led at best, and then at worst, someone from the mafia looking for a meta excuse to fall back on if their buddy gets eliminated anyways.

I can agree that having a reference and bias is good, but I don't think anyone should be fiercely defending their town reads as much as they should be defending their mafia reads.

eh, this is why i ask though. if im playing with people, and i trust them to be town, i want to use that insight to better help me. if im a really good towncorer, and you think im town, then the combination of these two facts should help you find my own townreads. if im a really good scumhunter, and you see i have a SR on someone, and think that im town, then you'd be more inclined to sheep that as well. its not really something i'd heavily put under a meta read either, but i guess? regardless i think unless you... also have meta on somebody, you don't know whether them asking for meta is AI regardless.

i find it odd that you're saying everybody thinks they do well as towny; while both the folks who... answered that question remarked not feeling very strong about their townplay? or at minimum unsure. whats your take on that, then?

i don't really ask people how they play as mafia as much because i personally don't like answering that question ^w^ hope that helps.

anyways. not really sure i like you shading my playstyle like that, but if i have a strong TR on somebody, why should I not advocate for them to not be yeeted? ive played several games where town's gone for other town's throat and when my advocations have been correct. my own experience also says that... mafia don't give as much for that.
sure mafia can pocket people, but mafia almost always wants to yeet a town for an elimination, as opposed to a mafia in their stead. and thus that sort of behaviour is only... really likely if the wagons are already t/t? and even then its ~likely mafia would more easily sit back then if the top candidates are t/t anyways.

neil
it/its + he/him
the comic sanser
p8qgXPn.gif [/url
Hello! I'm bright(eningskies) or cat and my pronouns are they/them.
In answer to Polybius0147 (neil's) question I'm more of a town builder, I don't usually scumhunt since there is often a lot of information you can get if you find potential allies rather than piling on someone who could turn out to be good.
I am not saying that to dismiss scumhunt playstyles but rather state that it's not what I'm particularly good at lol

I have no particular objections to a day 1 elim.

I also think there is some benefit to a lil discussion of playstyles, since behaviour is hard to read online and giving context may help behaviours become easier to read. :)

There will obviously always be differences of opinions but seeing as the opinions can be influenced by the player's alignment it's interesting to see what people say.
Hello! I'm bright(eningskies) or cat and my pronouns are they/them.
In answer to Polybius0147 (neil's) question I'm more of a town builder, I don't usually scumhunt since there is often a lot of information you can get if you find potential allies rather than piling on someone who could turn out to be good.
I am not saying that to dismiss scumhunt playstyles but rather state that it's not what I'm particularly good at lol

I have no particular objections to a day 1 elim.

I also think there is some benefit to a lil discussion of playstyles, since behaviour is hard to read online and giving context may help behaviours become easier to read. :)

There will obviously always be differences of opinions but seeing as the opinions can be influenced by the player's alignment it's interesting to see what people say.
NFJCNCS.gif UBaiWUV.png
bYt72YT.png
rUoKR6y.png
YMPbu9R.png
BY1bl09.png ZFAfDzf.png eVSz2yG.png
Hello! This is ChaoticFriendzy (or Chaotic for short). I'll go by any pronouns, but you can use they/them as well.

This is my first mafia game, so i might mess up quite a bit, i also am very good at having no clue at what's going on...i might need a tour guide for this, or some form of help...

that said, i still wanna watch this first trip by the starship come crashing down; maybe even literally!

Hello! This is ChaoticFriendzy (or Chaotic for short). I'll go by any pronouns, but you can use they/them as well.

This is my first mafia game, so i might mess up quite a bit, i also am very good at having no clue at what's going on...i might need a tour guide for this, or some form of help...

that said, i still wanna watch this first trip by the starship come crashing down; maybe even literally!

Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png84977690.png
o/ there! ty for ur response bright ^^

Chaotic; have you played any other sort of deception game before? IE Among us, ToS, Goose Goose Duck, One Night Werewolf, etc?

and now for something completely different; i hav my pronouns in my signature [it/its + he/him] but I should make this clear; do not use they/them for me. owob
o/ there! ty for ur response bright ^^

Chaotic; have you played any other sort of deception game before? IE Among us, ToS, Goose Goose Duck, One Night Werewolf, etc?

and now for something completely different; i hav my pronouns in my signature [it/its + he/him] but I should make this clear; do not use they/them for me. owob
neil
it/its + he/him
the comic sanser
p8qgXPn.gif [/url
hi everyone!! im a tad late to the introduction party unfortunately but i'm here now so we ball

I'm Temmeh, my time zone is FR+0 and i use he/him pronouns (although if you use they/them for me i don't mind). This is my 4th mafia game on FR (3rd if you only count finished ones) so I have some experience, however it's been a few months since I've played in any form so expect me to be a bit slower for the first few days on here.

First forum mafia icebreaker that seems to pop up every game: D1 Elim Stance

I am all for a D1 elim. HOWEVER, I find that it is often the case where the majority of town (including myself) will say "I'm in favor of D1 elims" and then when the end of day rolls around, nobody will want to vote due to lack of evidence- usually, this is because there are far too many quiet players who have only said maybe 1-3 messages total. Therefore, I am not going to shy around voting (abnormally) quiet players this game.

More of a pressure vote than anything, it's just me trying to say "contribute!! or perish!!!" I find in practically every mafia game I've played that people who are largely silent on the first few days will end up constantly being talked about and sussed on for the span of several days only to be eliminated regardless, and this is always just a massive waste of time that takes away from actively solving for finding the actual mafia.

I understand that in some cases people may hold off in order to wait for a substitute- I understand this logic in certain situations assuming it is done early enough. However, the song and dance that gets played with substitutes where they get a few days courtesy grace period after switching in so that they can catch up and familiarize themselves with the game just adds even more difficulty to finding who the scum are. (OBVIOUSLY though subs are important in a lot of scenarios. But unless someone quiet ends up requesting a sub very early then it can end up taking away from the deduction rather than helping).

OK Rant about quiet players over. I don't mean any of that in a mean way to quiet folks btw, I actually accidentally end up being a lurker a lot. That's why I'm trying to take a much more aggressive stance this game to avoid that position again.

Second icebreaker: What is your playstyle?

To be honest, I don't really know!! I only have a few games of experience but each of them have been vastly different (one of which I was mafia, one of which I was town and also a sub, and one of which turned into an indefinite hiatus). I'd like to think my presence as a player has grown with each game I've participated in as my first game I took a backseat in most discussions and while I tried to add on my thoughts I usually didn't have much to say. Similar to what Polybius said, I like to stick to my guns when it comes to town reads. Usually from there I do a kind of "process of elimination" scumread list where I try to figure out who's actions would fit certain roles and which players make sense in conjunction as scum. I can't say my intuition has been very good though, so this game I'm going to try to go more in-depth on the behavior of individuals (assuming school doesn't get in the way and eat away at my free time </3).

I also want to be a bit more proactive with my behavior this game so that my posts are less responsive to others and more novel ideas instead.

And there's my intro post! Hopefully it's not too textwall-y or tangent-y. I suspect my opinion on Day 1 elims will get challenged a bit and I say: bring it on!!

(Also just want to say I'm not familiar with the night-less cycle kind of games so that might also get me mixed up with hours of activity as well.)
hi everyone!! im a tad late to the introduction party unfortunately but i'm here now so we ball

I'm Temmeh, my time zone is FR+0 and i use he/him pronouns (although if you use they/them for me i don't mind). This is my 4th mafia game on FR (3rd if you only count finished ones) so I have some experience, however it's been a few months since I've played in any form so expect me to be a bit slower for the first few days on here.

First forum mafia icebreaker that seems to pop up every game: D1 Elim Stance

I am all for a D1 elim. HOWEVER, I find that it is often the case where the majority of town (including myself) will say "I'm in favor of D1 elims" and then when the end of day rolls around, nobody will want to vote due to lack of evidence- usually, this is because there are far too many quiet players who have only said maybe 1-3 messages total. Therefore, I am not going to shy around voting (abnormally) quiet players this game.

More of a pressure vote than anything, it's just me trying to say "contribute!! or perish!!!" I find in practically every mafia game I've played that people who are largely silent on the first few days will end up constantly being talked about and sussed on for the span of several days only to be eliminated regardless, and this is always just a massive waste of time that takes away from actively solving for finding the actual mafia.

I understand that in some cases people may hold off in order to wait for a substitute- I understand this logic in certain situations assuming it is done early enough. However, the song and dance that gets played with substitutes where they get a few days courtesy grace period after switching in so that they can catch up and familiarize themselves with the game just adds even more difficulty to finding who the scum are. (OBVIOUSLY though subs are important in a lot of scenarios. But unless someone quiet ends up requesting a sub very early then it can end up taking away from the deduction rather than helping).

OK Rant about quiet players over. I don't mean any of that in a mean way to quiet folks btw, I actually accidentally end up being a lurker a lot. That's why I'm trying to take a much more aggressive stance this game to avoid that position again.

Second icebreaker: What is your playstyle?

To be honest, I don't really know!! I only have a few games of experience but each of them have been vastly different (one of which I was mafia, one of which I was town and also a sub, and one of which turned into an indefinite hiatus). I'd like to think my presence as a player has grown with each game I've participated in as my first game I took a backseat in most discussions and while I tried to add on my thoughts I usually didn't have much to say. Similar to what Polybius said, I like to stick to my guns when it comes to town reads. Usually from there I do a kind of "process of elimination" scumread list where I try to figure out who's actions would fit certain roles and which players make sense in conjunction as scum. I can't say my intuition has been very good though, so this game I'm going to try to go more in-depth on the behavior of individuals (assuming school doesn't get in the way and eat away at my free time </3).

I also want to be a bit more proactive with my behavior this game so that my posts are less responsive to others and more novel ideas instead.

And there's my intro post! Hopefully it's not too textwall-y or tangent-y. I suspect my opinion on Day 1 elims will get challenged a bit and I say: bring it on!!

(Also just want to say I'm not familiar with the night-less cycle kind of games so that might also get me mixed up with hours of activity as well.)
I think I agree with Temmeh about voting people who don't talk very much, as they aren't giving any information. As this is my first time playing, I do not know my playstyle yet. Hopefully I'll find something, because it's bean fun so far!

That being said, I do hope we get some discussion soon. I would like to get better reads on some of the people who haven't posted much yet.
I think I agree with Temmeh about voting people who don't talk very much, as they aren't giving any information. As this is my first time playing, I do not know my playstyle yet. Hopefully I'll find something, because it's bean fun so far!

That being said, I do hope we get some discussion soon. I would like to get better reads on some of the people who haven't posted much yet.
12475606.png87597622.png84500972.png83156440.png88684011.png56303576.png
hai there ^^

wrt your comment on lowposters i have to agree on principle that not all scum will be highposting, but also i'd rather shy away from a lowposter whos few posts are better if i think theres another option that i think is more likely a mafia member, even if that person is a highposter. nobody will be volume cleared >:3.
which i guess kinda goes without saying but ehhhh. i do understand the concept of pressure votes although im a little unsure how well those even... work here? we'll see!

otherwise Yippeeee. i feel like i need to write every message here like its going to be graded xD

hai there ^^

wrt your comment on lowposters i have to agree on principle that not all scum will be highposting, but also i'd rather shy away from a lowposter whos few posts are better if i think theres another option that i think is more likely a mafia member, even if that person is a highposter. nobody will be volume cleared >:3.
which i guess kinda goes without saying but ehhhh. i do understand the concept of pressure votes although im a little unsure how well those even... work here? we'll see!

otherwise Yippeeee. i feel like i need to write every message here like its going to be graded xD

neil
it/its + he/him
the comic sanser
p8qgXPn.gif [/url
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 80 81