Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [Kingdomlocke] Vaskar's Vendetta
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
i finally got to the end of this and god i love this so much!!
have you considered putting your kingdomlocke on ao3? i've seen other writers do the same.

Im very excited for the next chapter but until that, take your time and rest
i finally got to the end of this and god i love this so much!!
have you considered putting your kingdomlocke on ao3? i've seen other writers do the same.

Im very excited for the next chapter but until that, take your time and rest
aesq82D.giff54b7fcb7a59201d421ffead40d394df8005beab.png41722454605_fc7ec4942e_o.png
@pepperzucchini I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! I've heard of Archive of Our Own before, but I haven't thought about putting it all there yet. I should try to do it sometime, though: it would be smart to have my posts saved in more than one place, in case something gets accidentally removed here.

The next week might be busy, with moving out and with classes starting at my new university, but this 'locke is still close to the front of my mind and I hope to continue writing soon. I'm also excited to see what you're creating in the meantime: Scourge of the Skies looks great thus far!
@pepperzucchini I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! I've heard of Archive of Our Own before, but I haven't thought about putting it all there yet. I should try to do it sometime, though: it would be smart to have my posts saved in more than one place, in case something gets accidentally removed here.

The next week might be busy, with moving out and with classes starting at my new university, but this 'locke is still close to the front of my mind and I hope to continue writing soon. I'm also excited to see what you're creating in the meantime: Scourge of the Skies looks great thus far!
signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

FR+2 | He/Him | PMs open!
oh no, shroren! D:

on the other hand, i am looking forward to reading leo and jen's conversation, and i can't wait to meet the new hatchlings!

also, @Murvax i have some invites to ao3 if you need/want one
oh no, shroren! D:

on the other hand, i am looking forward to reading leo and jen's conversation, and i can't wait to meet the new hatchlings!

UbKoyZq.png
. . .
5kODyPT.gif
x X x X x X x X x X x X x X x
7YlUtCc.png
. . .]
qiTymVx.png tumblr_ngzrrxU1xy1tfzajgo8_100.png
. . .]
[center][size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52143217:~:text=Out%2Dof%2Dlore%20summary%3A]Click me to skip to the out-of-lore summary![/url][/center] [center][color=#63B2CE][b]Event 38[/color] [color=#63B2CE]_______________________________________________________________[/center] [center][size=6][b][color=#73DAFF]R[/color][color=#6FD2F5]E[/color][color=#6CCAEC]V[/color][color=#69C2E2]E[/color][color=#66BAD9]L[/color][color=#63B2CF]A[/color][color=#60ABC6]T[/color][color=#5DA3BC]I[/color][color=#5A9BB3]O[/color][color=#5793A9]N[/color] [color=#508496]A[/color][color=#4D7C8D]N[/color][color=#4A7483]D[/color] [color=#446470]G[/color][color=#415D67]R[/color][color=#3E555D]I[/color][color=#3B4D54]E[/color][color=#38454A]F[/color][/b][/size] [i][color=#5CAECC]J[/color][color=#5BACCA]e[/color][color=#5BABC9]n[/color][color=#5AAAC7]s[/color][color=#5AA9C6]s[/color][color=#59A8C4]e[/color][color=#59A7C3]n[/color] [color=#58A4C0]a[/color][color=#58A3BE]n[/color][color=#57A2BD]d[/color] [color=#57A0BA]L[/color][color=#569EB9]e[/color][color=#569DB7]o[/color][color=#559CB6]n[/color][color=#559BB4]i[/color][color=#559AB3]d[/color] [color=#5497B0]h[/color][color=#5396AF]a[/color][color=#5395AD]v[/color][color=#5394AC]e[/color] [color=#5292A9]a[/color] [color=#518FA6]l[/color][color=#518EA4]o[/color][color=#508DA3]n[/color][color=#508CA2]g[/color][color=#4F8BA0]-[/color][color=#4F899F]o[/color][color=#4F889D]v[/color][color=#4E879C]e[/color][color=#4E869A]r[/color][color=#4D8599]d[/color][color=#4D8497]u[/color][color=#4C8296]e[/color] [color=#4C8093]c[/color][color=#4B7F92]h[/color][color=#4B7E90]a[/color][color=#4A7D8F]t[/color] [color=#4A7A8C]a[/color][color=#49798A]b[/color][color=#497889]o[/color][color=#487787]u[/color][color=#487686]t[/color] [color=#477383]t[/color][color=#477282]h[/color][color=#467180]e[/color] [color=#466F7D]s[/color][color=#456D7C]t[/color][color=#456C7A]a[/color][color=#446B79]t[/color][color=#446A78]e[/color] [color=#436875]o[/color][color=#436673]f[/color] [color=#426470]t[/color][color=#42636F]h[/color][color=#41626D]e[/color] [color=#405F6A]c[/color][color=#405E69]l[/color][color=#3F5D68]a[/color][color=#3F5C66]n[/color][color=#3F5B65]-[/color][color=#3E5A63]-[/color][color=#3E5862]a[/color][color=#3D5760]n[/color][color=#3D565F]d[/color] [color=#3C545C]t[/color][color=#3C535B]h[/color][color=#3B5159]e[/color][color=#3B5058]i[/color][color=#3B4F56]r[/color] [color=#3A4D53]r[/color][color=#394C52]e[/color][color=#394A50]l[/color][color=#39494F]a[/color][color=#38484E]t[/color][color=#38474C]i[/color][color=#37464B]o[/color][color=#374549]n[/color][color=#374348]s[/color][color=#364246]h[/color][color=#364145]i[/color][color=#354043]p[/color][color=#353F42].[/color][/i] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1002040330457186315/1009487588480000110/unknown.png[/img] [color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] "Does it have to be [i]tonight?[/i] I'm really tired, Leo..." "Come on. I know you're stalling." Leonid looked over his shoulder, giving her a slight frown. "You promised. Remember?" Jenssen groaned softly, and nodded: this was what she had agreed to do. She was following Leonid out of the cave, speaking in hushed whispers while they went to go on their walk. Something glinted slightly on the landing platform at the den's exit, catching her eye, but only for a moment. "I just don't think it's a good idea to be leaving Envoy alone right now," she pointed out. "The way Shroren attacked her was so... out of the [i]blue.[/i]" "Don't worry," Leonid replied. "I asked Amanzo to stay in her cave with her tonight. He's a really light sleeper: if someone tries to sneak in, he'll notice." Jenssen didn't have a retort for that one... that was actually really smart. Leonid seemed like he was getting more clever every day, and that was making it harder for Jenssen to win arguments with him. She wanted to be the one who was right for once! Was that really so hard to- Her thoughts were suddenly cut off as a sharp pain went up the back of her front right talon. "[i]Ow![/i]" she yelped, jumping back instantly. Leonid tensed, and whirled around right away. "What? What happened!?" he exclaimed in a hushed voice. Jenssen didn't have a reply. It felt like a [i]snake[/i] had bitten her: she clutched the wrist of her talon as she sat back on her haunches, trying to see what had just hurt her... "Oh," Leonid sighed. "Shoot... I'm [i]so[/i] sorry." he bent down and picked something off of the floor, which shone slightly in the moonlight again. It had a straight, sharp blade that was about the right size for Jenssen to wield. The Guardian made an irritated growl. "I asked Apt to put this knife away... Is your talon okay?" "It's fine," Jenssen muttered, standing back on all fours. "I can just bandage it." A few minutes later, Jenssen had wrapped the back of her talon to stop the bleeding, and Leonid had placed the knife on top of a table for safety, rather than leaving it out on the ground for somebody to bump into again. After that, they were on their way--but Jenssen noticed how the Guardian was sticking closer to her than he had been before. She didn't complain... it actually made her feel a little bit safer, as well. They walked out a ways in the gorge, before both of them agreed to fly up and land in the flats that led into the Charged Barrens to the east. The sky was cloudy, but sparsely so: light from the moon and stars managed to shine through, while the stronger regions of the eternal thunderstorm had receded back towards the barrens. There the sky was decorated with distant flashes of lightning, dimmed by the thick grey clouds. The dark sand dunes loomed on the horizon, occasionally flashing to life with earth-bound arcs of electricity that raced through them. Here, the two of them ambled quietly, until Leonid finally spoke up first. "I feel like you're anxious," he said suddenly. "I mean... you were the exact same way when we were trying to figure out what Chuillyon was up to, with the whole marble and everything." He turned to her, his pace slowing down slightly. "You actually seemed pretty happy for a while. But ... what changed?" Jenssen came to a stop as well, looking up into Leonid's eyes for a moment. Her gaze fell quickly, though, and she sat down. "Nothing changed," she admitted. "I've- been losing my mind this whole time." She heard something shift, and her ears raised slightly. She looked, and she saw Leonid settle down in front of her, laying on his chest and putting his front talons on top of one another. His head was level with hers. "I know how you feel. We've all been dealing with a lot of really scary... [i]stuff.[/i] But it's getting to you worse than anybody else, except Amanzo." He tilted his head. A few seconds of silence passed, but when Jenssen said nothing, he continued. "You said you know things that you're scared to tell me, like how I was scared to tell you about the eggs. But I made a bad choice, not telling you... because it just made me even more afraid about how it'd make you feel." Jenssen hung her head, shaking it slowly. "This isn't like that. It won't just make you feel sad or stressed." She briefly glanced up again. "It'll hurt you." Leonid looked at her sadly for a moment. "Jenssen... look at me." She willed herself to look, even though she wished she could hunch over and disappear. A broken smile showed just slightly on his face. "I've lost three eggs that were supposed to be my kids. I've almost died, and even worse, almost watched [i]you[/i] die." He took a deep breath, which came out with a shaky exhale. "And I still remember that day when Chuillyon left us alone: when Amanzo ran outside, and we had to save him from storm seekers. And then when we came back, and when we saw Aguistin and his little Spiral sister... both of them, dead." He sat up, and he brought himself to raise his head. "But I'm still here and I'm still fighting. I'm still trying to keep everyone alive and safe--no matter how many times I mess it up." The Guardian wiped away a tear. Then, he looked back down at her with a soft chuckle. "Do you really think- a little serving of the truth is going to hurt me?" Seeing Leonid begin to get emotional, Jenssen couldn't help the lump in her throat or the pounding of her heart either. "Well... what if I told you..." She stood straighter, too, trying to steel herself as she spoke. "Chuillyon's not gone, and [i]I[/i] might die soon instead?" Leonid froze. His wings shuddered, and the spines on his chest and legs flared briefly. He looked horrified. "What..?" Jenssen slinked back down almost immediately. Her wings hung loosely at her sides. "You wanted me to tell the truth, right? It's the vision I didn't want to tell you about," she said. "The night before the harpies attacked. It's the same one I've been getting since more than a month ago... when Chuillyon was still alive." Realization glowed in the Guardian's eyes. He looked past Jenssen, out at the dunes that were miles ahead. "The Charged Barrens," he whispered. "Marching out there, coming to a stop... then digging something up." "Digging to put something [i]in,[/i]" Jenssen corrected. "I never see us get to the bottom and pull anything out: the hole's empty. And Chuillyon was there, too, in the first vision; and I'm still seeing him there in this vision, every time I look at the clouds. I'm still seeing him [i]now.[/i]" "But... but that doesn't make any sense! He's dead!" Leonid looked frantic now, looking over his shoulders as if he were afraid something was sneaking up on them. "How can he still be..? How- He's going to [i]kill you?[/i]" "Don't you see why I didn't want to tell you any of this?" asked Jenssen. "It doesn't make any sense, but I know it's true." It felt like an ice-cold spider was crawling down her back as she spoke grimly. "A cloud-vision's never been wrong unless we stopped it from happening. I only know it has to do with the shade magic, but somehow... he's going to use it to come back." Leonid was silent for a few moments. Jenssen felt increasingly worried the longer he stayed quiet, but just before she spoke up, he finally said something. "Heh... you know what's funny?" He laughed quietly; tearfully. "I actually wish you told me sooner. 'Cause... maybe we missed the chance to do something about it already." A gaping hole felt like it opened up in Jenssen's chest as Leonid's voice grew weaker. It pulled her in, and soon she felt like she was falling, all over again... down, down, down... "Maybe you keep seeing it because it's impossible to dodge it now. And, no matter what we do--we're still going to end up there. Digging our own graves." Jenssen slowly collapsed, crumpling to the ground, where she hid her head underneath her wings. Her eyes stung with tears as emotions overwhelmed her, but she wouldn't let herself cry. She was [i]sick[/i] of crying. All she wanted was for this to end, like she was waking up from a bad dream. She could imagine waking up next to her father, taking her glistening white pearl up in her talons, and flying for home somewhere in the Viridian Labyrinth... like all of this was a piece of her wild imagination that needed to be controlled. She felt something touch her softly, and she realized that it was Leonid, who was scooping her up in his talons. She didn't try to resist, allowing the Guardian to pick her up and then place her on his shoulder. He had no words, and Jenssen didn't either: for a few minutes, they just sat in mournful silence. Jenssen remembered the first time they'd embraced each other. The four months that passed felt like years, but the cloudy memory of it was still in her mind. They held each other like this, weeping for the death of Aguistin and his sister, who they got to give a name. But Leonid had sworn to her, too, that he would give up his life for her if they found themselves in mortal danger. Now, with Jenssen's secret of the vision being out, was that time beginning to draw near? "Leo... do you think we're going to die?" Leonid didn't have an answer. She felt the side of his head rest on her back, his silence betrayed by a long, deep sigh. "I don't know," he finally whispered. "There's always been a way to stop the bad things you see... but this one's been here for so long, I- I just don't know." That made Jenssen's heart stop up a little more. She had no idea either, if the end of something was drawing near--but that made her realize that there was something else she wanted to say. It had bounced in and out of her mind over the weeks and months, and she'd come close to saying it once or twice before, but something stopped her every time. She kept thinking it 'wasn't the right time yet' or 'I need to wait until it's peaceful,' but knowing that time could be running out now; that they might never see that peaceful moment... "Leo?" A brief moment of silence again, before Leonid replied. "Yeah?" "Can I tell you something else too?" The Guardian rumbled with a quiet, sad laugh. "Well... I guess I did say I want to know the tru-" "I love you." Leonid was shocked into silence again. Jenssen felt his weight shift, and then she was being held in his arms instead of up against his shoulder. He stared down at her; and when lightning would briefly flash and illuminate his face, she saw a shocked look in his eyes. "There," she continued. "I said it. I don't know how long before Chuillyon comes back, somehow--but if we- don't make it... then I want you to know the truth before it's over. You [i]deserve[/i] the truth." Her eyes fell from Leonid's, a feeling of shame settling on her. "Sorry. If it's- not what you wanted to hear." For a moment, the Guardian was transfixed. He set Jenssen down slowly, blinking down at his own two talons in surprise and wonder. His mouth opened a couple times as he tried to think of what to say... Jenssen waited anxiously in the meantime, trying to quell her thoughts that this was a bad idea. "I... well, I- didn't expect [i]that,[/i]" he finally remarked. After a moment, he turned serious again, taking a breath. "I- I'm, very happy for that, Jenssen. And... well, I've got to [i]say[/i] that you're not alone. I love you too." He sat awkwardly for a moment, all of his spined fans flared out. Were his cheeks red..? "But Iiiiii... uh. I don't really know [i]how.[/i]" Jenssen's heart sank. "I don't think that was the right way to say something back," she muttered. Was that really it? Did she just say that to Leonid, under the threat if impending doom, only to get immediately slapped in the face? "N-no no no!" Leonid cried. "I'm trying to say--auugh..." And all of a sudden, Leonid's speech went supersonic. "T-the point I'm trying to make is, I [i]also[/i] love you very much and totally want to be close to you for the rest of my life--I mean I would anyway, I'd never leave you all alone--but- but it makes me worried too, because I don't know how I [i]feel[/i] about that!" He tried desperately to piece it all together, his wings flicking in and out in a fervent rush. "Like, do I love you back like Selene and Shroren love each other, or is it like what Amanzo and Amou had as a brother and sister..? Oh it's just [i]really[/i] confusing--do you know what I mean? Like, do you get- what I'm... Jenssen, hey..." She'd already turned and walked away, feeling more embarrassed and disappointed than she'd ever felt in her life. [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] Out-of-lore summary: Ohh, Leonid. Nice job messing up a love confession right after learning that your old mentor is coming back from the dead... No kingdomlocke gameplay today. This is all lore writing, but it helps lead into the next kingdomlocke piece! By the way: I've noticed that this thread has picked up a few more followers lately. I'm super grateful that you are all here sharing this experience with me! This is just a reminder that if you would like to be added to the pinglist below, I do have one and am happy to add you. As always, thanks for reading! [size=2][b]Pinglist (comment or PM me if you would like to be added!)[/b][/size] [size=1]@sedge122 [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] [center][color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/5#post_52117547]Prev[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]<[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785#post_3153785][b]Home[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]>[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52160457]Next[/url][color=transparent]__[/color][/center]
Event 38

unknown.png

"Does it have to be tonight? I'm really tired, Leo..."

"Come on. I know you're stalling." Leonid looked over his shoulder, giving her a slight frown. "You promised. Remember?"

Jenssen groaned softly, and nodded: this was what she had agreed to do. She was following Leonid out of the cave, speaking in hushed whispers while they went to go on their walk. Something glinted slightly on the landing platform at the den's exit, catching her eye, but only for a moment. "I just don't think it's a good idea to be leaving Envoy alone right now," she pointed out. "The way Shroren attacked her was so... out of the blue."

"Don't worry," Leonid replied. "I asked Amanzo to stay in her cave with her tonight. He's a really light sleeper: if someone tries to sneak in, he'll notice."

Jenssen didn't have a retort for that one... that was actually really smart. Leonid seemed like he was getting more clever every day, and that was making it harder for Jenssen to win arguments with him. She wanted to be the one who was right for once! Was that really so hard to-

Her thoughts were suddenly cut off as a sharp pain went up the back of her front right talon. "Ow!" she yelped, jumping back instantly.

Leonid tensed, and whirled around right away. "What? What happened!?" he exclaimed in a hushed voice. Jenssen didn't have a reply. It felt like a snake had bitten her: she clutched the wrist of her talon as she sat back on her haunches, trying to see what had just hurt her... "Oh," Leonid sighed. "Shoot... I'm so sorry." he bent down and picked something off of the floor, which shone slightly in the moonlight again. It had a straight, sharp blade that was about the right size for Jenssen to wield. The Guardian made an irritated growl. "I asked Apt to put this knife away... Is your talon okay?"

"It's fine," Jenssen muttered, standing back on all fours. "I can just bandage it."

A few minutes later, Jenssen had wrapped the back of her talon to stop the bleeding, and Leonid had placed the knife on top of a table for safety, rather than leaving it out on the ground for somebody to bump into again. After that, they were on their way--but Jenssen noticed how the Guardian was sticking closer to her than he had been before. She didn't complain... it actually made her feel a little bit safer, as well.

They walked out a ways in the gorge, before both of them agreed to fly up and land in the flats that led into the Charged Barrens to the east. The sky was cloudy, but sparsely so: light from the moon and stars managed to shine through, while the stronger regions of the eternal thunderstorm had receded back towards the barrens. There the sky was decorated with distant flashes of lightning, dimmed by the thick grey clouds. The dark sand dunes loomed on the horizon, occasionally flashing to life with earth-bound arcs of electricity that raced through them.

Here, the two of them ambled quietly, until Leonid finally spoke up first. "I feel like you're anxious," he said suddenly. "I mean... you were the exact same way when we were trying to figure out what Chuillyon was up to, with the whole marble and everything." He turned to her, his pace slowing down slightly. "You actually seemed pretty happy for a while. But ... what changed?"

Jenssen came to a stop as well, looking up into Leonid's eyes for a moment. Her gaze fell quickly, though, and she sat down. "Nothing changed," she admitted. "I've- been losing my mind this whole time."

She heard something shift, and her ears raised slightly. She looked, and she saw Leonid settle down in front of her, laying on his chest and putting his front talons on top of one another. His head was level with hers. "I know how you feel. We've all been dealing with a lot of really scary... stuff. But it's getting to you worse than anybody else, except Amanzo." He tilted his head. A few seconds of silence passed, but when Jenssen said nothing, he continued. "You said you know things that you're scared to tell me, like how I was scared to tell you about the eggs. But I made a bad choice, not telling you... because it just made me even more afraid about how it'd make you feel."

Jenssen hung her head, shaking it slowly. "This isn't like that. It won't just make you feel sad or stressed." She briefly glanced up again. "It'll hurt you."

Leonid looked at her sadly for a moment. "Jenssen... look at me." She willed herself to look, even though she wished she could hunch over and disappear. A broken smile showed just slightly on his face. "I've lost three eggs that were supposed to be my kids. I've almost died, and even worse, almost watched you die." He took a deep breath, which came out with a shaky exhale. "And I still remember that day when Chuillyon left us alone: when Amanzo ran outside, and we had to save him from storm seekers. And then when we came back, and when we saw Aguistin and his little Spiral sister... both of them, dead." He sat up, and he brought himself to raise his head. "But I'm still here and I'm still fighting. I'm still trying to keep everyone alive and safe--no matter how many times I mess it up." The Guardian wiped away a tear. Then, he looked back down at her with a soft chuckle. "Do you really think- a little serving of the truth is going to hurt me?"

Seeing Leonid begin to get emotional, Jenssen couldn't help the lump in her throat or the pounding of her heart either. "Well... what if I told you..." She stood straighter, too, trying to steel herself as she spoke.
"Chuillyon's not gone, and I might die soon instead?"

Leonid froze. His wings shuddered, and the spines on his chest and legs flared briefly. He looked horrified. "What..?"

Jenssen slinked back down almost immediately. Her wings hung loosely at her sides. "You wanted me to tell the truth, right? It's the vision I didn't want to tell you about," she said. "The night before the harpies attacked. It's the same one I've been getting since more than a month ago... when Chuillyon was still alive."

Realization glowed in the Guardian's eyes. He looked past Jenssen, out at the dunes that were miles ahead. "The Charged Barrens," he whispered. "Marching out there, coming to a stop... then digging something up."

"Digging to put something in," Jenssen corrected. "I never see us get to the bottom and pull anything out: the hole's empty. And Chuillyon was there, too, in the first vision; and I'm still seeing him there in this vision, every time I look at the clouds. I'm still seeing him now."

"But... but that doesn't make any sense! He's dead!" Leonid looked frantic now, looking over his shoulders as if he were afraid something was sneaking up on them. "How can he still be..? How- He's going to kill you?"

"Don't you see why I didn't want to tell you any of this?" asked Jenssen. "It doesn't make any sense, but I know it's true." It felt like an ice-cold spider was crawling down her back as she spoke grimly. "A cloud-vision's never been wrong unless we stopped it from happening. I only know it has to do with the shade magic, but somehow... he's going to use it to come back."

Leonid was silent for a few moments. Jenssen felt increasingly worried the longer he stayed quiet, but just before she spoke up, he finally said something. "Heh... you know what's funny?" He laughed quietly; tearfully. "I actually wish you told me sooner. 'Cause... maybe we missed the chance to do something about it already." A gaping hole felt like it opened up in Jenssen's chest as Leonid's voice grew weaker. It pulled her in, and soon she felt like she was falling, all over again... down, down, down... "Maybe you keep seeing it because it's impossible to dodge it now. And, no matter what we do--we're still going to end up there. Digging our own graves."

Jenssen slowly collapsed, crumpling to the ground, where she hid her head underneath her wings. Her eyes stung with tears as emotions overwhelmed her, but she wouldn't let herself cry. She was sick of crying. All she wanted was for this to end, like she was waking up from a bad dream. She could imagine waking up next to her father, taking her glistening white pearl up in her talons, and flying for home somewhere in the Viridian Labyrinth... like all of this was a piece of her wild imagination that needed to be controlled.

She felt something touch her softly, and she realized that it was Leonid, who was scooping her up in his talons. She didn't try to resist, allowing the Guardian to pick her up and then place her on his shoulder. He had no words, and Jenssen didn't either: for a few minutes, they just sat in mournful silence.

Jenssen remembered the first time they'd embraced each other. The four months that passed felt like years, but the cloudy memory of it was still in her mind. They held each other like this, weeping for the death of Aguistin and his sister, who they got to give a name. But Leonid had sworn to her, too, that he would give up his life for her if they found themselves in mortal danger.

Now, with Jenssen's secret of the vision being out, was that time beginning to draw near?

"Leo... do you think we're going to die?"

Leonid didn't have an answer. She felt the side of his head rest on her back, his silence betrayed by a long, deep sigh. "I don't know," he finally whispered. "There's always been a way to stop the bad things you see... but this one's been here for so long, I- I just don't know."

That made Jenssen's heart stop up a little more. She had no idea either, if the end of something was drawing near--but that made her realize that there was something else she wanted to say. It had bounced in and out of her mind over the weeks and months, and she'd come close to saying it once or twice before, but something stopped her every time. She kept thinking it 'wasn't the right time yet' or 'I need to wait until it's peaceful,' but knowing that time could be running out now; that they might never see that peaceful moment...

"Leo?"

A brief moment of silence again, before Leonid replied. "Yeah?"

"Can I tell you something else too?"

The Guardian rumbled with a quiet, sad laugh. "Well... I guess I did say I want to know the tru-"

"I love you."

Leonid was shocked into silence again. Jenssen felt his weight shift, and then she was being held in his arms instead of up against his shoulder. He stared down at her; and when lightning would briefly flash and illuminate his face, she saw a shocked look in his eyes.

"There," she continued. "I said it. I don't know how long before Chuillyon comes back, somehow--but if we- don't make it... then I want you to know the truth before it's over. You deserve the truth." Her eyes fell from Leonid's, a feeling of shame settling on her. "Sorry. If it's- not what you wanted to hear."

For a moment, the Guardian was transfixed. He set Jenssen down slowly, blinking down at his own two talons in surprise and wonder. His mouth opened a couple times as he tried to think of what to say... Jenssen waited anxiously in the meantime, trying to quell her thoughts that this was a bad idea. "I... well, I- didn't expect that," he finally remarked. After a moment, he turned serious again, taking a breath. "I- I'm, very happy for that, Jenssen. And... well, I've got to say that you're not alone. I love you too." He sat awkwardly for a moment, all of his spined fans flared out. Were his cheeks red..? "But Iiiiii... uh. I don't really know how."

Jenssen's heart sank. "I don't think that was the right way to say something back," she muttered. Was that really it? Did she just say that to Leonid, under the threat if impending doom, only to get immediately slapped in the face?

"N-no no no!" Leonid cried. "I'm trying to say--auugh..." And all of a sudden, Leonid's speech went supersonic. "T-the point I'm trying to make is, I also love you very much and totally want to be close to you for the rest of my life--I mean I would anyway, I'd never leave you all alone--but- but it makes me worried too, because I don't know how I feel about that!" He tried desperately to piece it all together, his wings flicking in and out in a fervent rush. "Like, do I love you back like Selene and Shroren love each other, or is it like what Amanzo and Amou had as a brother and sister..? Oh it's just really confusing--do you know what I mean? Like, do you get- what I'm... Jenssen, hey..."

She'd already turned and walked away, feeling more embarrassed and disappointed than she'd ever felt in her life.

Out-of-lore summary:

Ohh, Leonid. Nice job messing up a love confession right after learning that your old mentor is coming back from the dead...

No kingdomlocke gameplay today. This is all lore writing, but it helps lead into the next kingdomlocke piece!

By the way: I've noticed that this thread has picked up a few more followers lately. I'm super grateful that you are all here sharing this experience with me! This is just a reminder that if you would like to be added to the pinglist below, I do have one and am happy to add you.
As always, thanks for reading!

Pinglist (comment or PM me if you would like to be added!)
@sedge122

__Prev__<__Home__>__Next__
signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

[quote name="BizarreKitten" date="2022-09-02 05:39:16" ] oh no, shroren! D: on the other hand, i am looking forward to reading leo and jen's conversation, and i can't wait to meet the new hatchlings! also, @Murvax i have some invites to ao3 if you need/want one [/quote] @BizarreKitten Writing about how the shade's control over Shroren was influencing his actions by making him [i]believe[/i] he wanted to do things he never normally would was really exciting. I can't wait to keep exploring this more--but I'm going to have to focus on getting those new hatchlings involved next! I'll keep the offer for the ao3 invite in mind. Thank you!
BizarreKitten wrote on 2022-09-02 05:39:16:
oh no, shroren! D:

@BizarreKitten Writing about how the shade's control over Shroren was influencing his actions by making him believe he wanted to do things he never normally would was really exciting. I can't wait to keep exploring this more--but I'm going to have to focus on getting those new hatchlings involved next!

I'll keep the offer for the ao3 invite in mind. Thank you!
signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

[center][size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52160457:~:text=___________________________________________________________-,Out%2Dof%2Dlore%20summary%3A,-%3E%20Coin/d20%3A%20heads]Click me to skip to the out-of-lore summary![/url][/center] [center][color=#63B2CE][b]Event 39[/color] [color=#63B2CE]_______________________________________________________________[/center] [center][size=6][b][color=#73DAFF]O[/color][color=#6ECFF2]U[/color][color=#6AC5E5]T[/color] [color=#62B0CC]O[/color][color=#5EA5BF]F[/color] [color=#5691A6]T[/color][color=#518699]H[/color][color=#4D7C8D]E[/color] [color=#456773]B[/color][color=#415D67]L[/color][color=#3D525A]U[/color][color=#39484D]E[/color][/b][/size] [i][color=#5CAECC]A[/color] [color=#5BABC8]s[/color][color=#5AA9C6]e[/color][color=#5AA8C5]r[/color][color=#59A6C3]i[/color][color=#59A5C1]e[/color][color=#58A4BF]s[/color] [color=#57A1BC]o[/color][color=#579FBA]f[/color] [color=#569DB7]r[/color][color=#559BB5]e[/color][color=#559AB3]v[/color][color=#5498B1]e[/color][color=#5497B0]l[/color][color=#5396AE]a[/color][color=#5394AC]t[/color][color=#5293AA]i[/color][color=#5291A9]o[/color][color=#5190A7]n[/color][color=#518FA5]s[/color] [color=#508CA2]f[/color][color=#4F8AA0]i[/color][color=#4F899E]n[/color][color=#4E889D]a[/color][color=#4E869B]l[/color][color=#4D8599]l[/color][color=#4D8397]y[/color] [color=#4C8194]l[/color][color=#4B7F92]e[/color][color=#4B7E90]t[/color][color=#4A7C8F]s[/color] [color=#497A8B]t[/color][color=#497889]h[/color][color=#487788]e[/color] [color=#487484]c[/color][color=#477383]l[/color][color=#477181]a[/color][color=#46707F]n[/color] [color=#456D7C]u[/color][color=#456C7A]n[/color][color=#446A78]d[/color][color=#446976]e[/color][color=#436775]r[/color][color=#436673]s[/color][color=#426571]t[/color][color=#42636F]a[/color][color=#41626E]n[/color][color=#41606C]d[/color] [color=#405E68]w[/color][color=#3F5C67]h[/color][color=#3F5B65]a[/color][color=#3E5963]t[/color][color=#3E5862]'[/color][color=#3D5760]s[/color] [color=#3C545C]c[/color][color=#3C525B]o[/color][color=#3B5159]m[/color][color=#3B5057]i[/color][color=#3A4E55]n[/color][color=#3A4D54]g[/color] [color=#394A50]f[/color][color=#38494E]o[/color][color=#38474D]r[/color] [color=#374449]t[/color][color=#364347]h[/color][color=#364246]e[/color][color=#354044]m[/color][color=#353F42].[/color][/i] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1002040330457186315/1009487588480000110/unknown.png[/img] [color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] When Jenssen left ahead of Leonid, he didn't bother trying to catch up. He knew deep in his heart that he'd just made a huge mistake. But wasn't being honest the best thing to be!? He knew how he felt about Jenssen! Or--well, [i]now[/i] he was questioning it, but that just wasn't fair. They were raised like a brother and sister by Chuillyon. Maybe they really weren't siblings, but Leonid still felt that way, but now that he knew Jenssen didn't he wasn't as sure if he really [i]did[/i] feel that way, and oh shoot, there was a headache coming on. With a miserable sigh, Leonid spread his wings and flew back to the cave a few minutes after Jenssen did. He didn't try to talk to her again, feeling too ashamed and embarrassed to even look her in the eye right now--and he guessed that she felt the same way. Trying to distract himself, when he returned, he went and looked for the knife that Jenssen had tripped over earlier. He still felt terrible about that, even though he wasn't the one who left it out... going the small rock shelf he'd set it on, he reached out to grab its handle in the darkness. ... His talon came down on empty air. Puzzled, he shuffled it around carefully, trying to feel for the handle or even the blade; but he never touched anything at all. The knife was gone. [center]* * *[/center] Amanzo spent the night more [i]awake[/i] than asleep, but that felt like it was just normal now. Apart from a few voices or the occasional bump in the night, though, nothing happened. Envoy, the younger Imperial, was sleeping soundly behind him in the cave. He felt like a valorous knight, or perhaps an impenetrable Guardian defending his charge. Nothing ever came to threaten him--although he felt like he'd caught a glimpse of a small, sleek figure looming in the doorway at some point. The next morning, he certainly felt tired, but his eyes still just wouldn't close. He was staring at a few tiny cracks in the wall, pretending he was watching a tiny version of himself and Amou soaring through the sideways ravines, chasing after Chuillyon as he barked at them about flying too fast or something, when a voice suddenly piped up behind him. "Did you even sleep?" Amanzo looked over his shoulder. Envoy was still laying down, but her eyes were open and focused on him. Staring at the wall had been helping him fight off that constant queasiness in his body, but now it surged back slightly. "Uh... yeah!" he lied. "Yeah, I slept, [i]obviously.[/i] Be crazy not to." The sapphire-blue dragoness gave him a saddened look. "I know you aren't feeling good. You feel sick, right?" "A- a little," admitted Amanzo. "But it's... kinda been that way, ever since--well." A brief silence fell between the two of them. Envoy's eyes traced along the rocks and sand on the floor distantly, making her look almost like she was in a trance. "I feel sick too," she finally replied, in her soft voice. "I've felt bad since the day after Chuillyon died." A shudder went through Amanzo. That had been when he started feeling unwell too. "Not just a tummyache, either... sometimes I feel like, the things I'm thinking--they don't make any sense. I think about doing things I never understand why I'd do." That made Amanzo's stomach lurch a little. Something was dawning on him in his mind... "Really? Like- like what?" Envoy bit her tongue, like she wasn't sure she should say what was on her mind. Amanzo tried offering her a gentle, encouraging smile, and it seemed to help a little. Emboldened, even if just slightly, Envoy took a deep breath. "I've--been having this dream. Where, I wake up all alone in the middle of the desert, and I'm tired and starving and burning up in the sun... and then I hear this voice." She shuddered, and Amanzo shifted towards her protectively. "It's in my own mind. I think to myself... augh, I don't want to say it out loud. But--for some reason I want to- to take my claws, and put them to my throat..." "Sweet Windsinger..." Amanzo cursed under his breath. Envoy nodded. "I know. It's awful... and what's worse, is I [i]want[/i] to do it, even though I know better, and- and I'd never even [i]think[/i] about it before. And I have no idea why." Amanzo was quiet for a few moments; and then he raised his head. Something had just clicked. "Maybe... you [i]don't[/i] want to do it." Envoy blinked, giving him a confused look. "I mean- hear me out. You remember Shroren yesterday, when he tried to hurt you? And Selene said something like 'It's [i]not you[/i] who's doing this'?" An inexplicable flare of anger rose in him when he thought of Selene--but then he realized: he didn't actually [i]understand[/i] why he was so mad at her. For crying out loud, he'd even tried to kill her! "And, me too! I've done weird things that confused me too! Just like you, and just like Shroren. He had no idea what he was doing--and then they all realized that it was that creepy shade stuff that was controlling his mind. Making him [i]want to do stuff[/i] that just hurt him... or hurt you." "You get it," a new voice suddenly said from nowhere. [center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1002040330457186315/1016389796173721610/unknown.png[/center] A giant, grey-and-red figure appeared suddenly in the doorway, and Amanzo and Envoy both shot to their feet with a shared yelp. The Imperial stood over a head taller than each of them: he wasn't quite Chuillyon's size, but he was still very imposing. A dusty, tattered black tailcoat was worn over his back, and he had citrine earrings that matched the colors of his eyes. "Who are you!?" Amanzo cried, instinctively taking a defensive stance. He realized that it was a stupid thing to do against a stranger who could crush him instantly--but to his surprise, it actually made the dragon back down instead of provoking him. The unfamiliar Imperial stepped back and lowered his wings in a nonthreatening way. "I mean no harm," he assured Amanzo, his whiskers doing a slight twitch. His eyes turned to Envoy, and his expression turned deathly serious. "I came here to help you. In a few moments, you are going to feel an overwhelming urge to cut your own throat." Envoy's eyes widened in fear, but the stranger continued, glaring at her intensely. "When it happens, remember one thing. It's [i]not you[/i] who wants to do it: it's the shadebearer controlling you." Sudden, deathly silence gripped the cave. Amanzo glanced between Envoy and the stranger rapidly--but when he was looking at Envoy, he noticed her expression change just slightly. It was so subtle that he almost didn't notice it. Without thinking, Amanzo lunged towards her as fast as he could--and he when he raised his talon, he found her wrist caught in his claws, just before her own had reached her neck. They looked into each other's eyes as Amanzo held Envoy's talon back. She looked confused and terrified, and yet, desperate. She tried to wrestle free of Amanzo's grasp, and almost succeeded before the stranger swooped in from the side and tackled her to the ground. "Envoy!" Amanzo exclaimed. "Snap out of it! It's trying to get you to hurt yourself!" "She doesn't realize that yet!" the stranger growled, pressing down on Envoy's shoulders to keep her from moving her talons. "It's taken control of her thoughts completely." Underneath Daz's weight, Envoy struggled to move at all. Still, she fought, trying to claw at either Daz or herself. "Let go of me! Please, [i]let go![/i]" "I can't do that until it releases you." Amanzo sat down in front of Envoy quickly, touching his claws gently to either side of her jaw. "Listen," he said, trying to make his voice calm. "I know how confused you are. We just talked about it, remember? You've got to break free; you need to figure out that it's not your own [i]OWWIE!![/i]" He yelled out and jumped away from Envoy as she bit one of his talons. The cave began to fill with rushed voices as dragons came to see what struggle was causing all the noise. Swiftspear was the first to arrive, and she almost threw a kunai at Daz before Amanzo managed to stop her--this time [i]without[/i] getting beaten up. As more dragons came into the cave, Daz quickly explained the situation, and Leonid and went immediately to help him hold the fighting Envoy down. The Imperial's cries and pleas to release her; to let her hurt herself so badly, were haunting. Finally, the fight began to die out of Envoy almost two minutes later. By that point Amanzo had seriously been considering leaving the cramped room and trying to clear his head... but he had to make sure she was okay first. He regretted ever leaving Amou: he couldn't do the same with Envoy. His patience was rewarded when the young Imperial's roaring died off into panting, and then to confused murmuring as she tried to come to grips with what had just happened to her. She wasn't trying to fight anymore, and after Daz eased off of her back, Leonid and Orden nodded to each other and released her talons as well. She was left lying in an exhausted heap, but Amanzo came over quickly to help her to her feet. "Are you okay-?" His voice cracked unexpectedly as he spoke. Envoy didn't reply as she took his talon, even after he'd lifted her back to a stand. She didn't meet anyone's eyes, and her heavy panting still echoed on the walls of the cave. "I think so..." she whispered. He could see--and feel, through her talon--that she was shaking. Or maybe he was, or maybe they both were. He didn't know what was happening as Envoy sank towards him suddenly: all he really knew was that he caught her in his wings and then held on tight, giving her something to lean on as she cowered. He didn't say anything: nothing needed to be said between the two of them. He was just glad that she was alive. [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] Out-of-lore summary: > Coin/d20: heads, 17. First extra life in a while! It goes to Shroren by RNG's order. > Speaking of which, rolled 1d4 for Shroren's assassination attempt on Envoy: ...2. (The assassin fails the attempt and loses a life) > Well! I guess that extra life immediately helped him upon getting it. That doesn't help [i]my[/i] cause though... > Oh well, onwards we move. Went to Pinkerton: challenge time! > Rolled 1d20. 16: Sacrifice. Uh-oh. > Rolled 1d4 to determine the outcome... 1. OH NO. (A random dragon is exalted regardless of lives, and four dragons gain an extra life in their stead) > Oh man... I just realized that I'm really attached to everybody who's still alive. I'm looking at Daz and his fortune-teller superpowers right now... but we'll have to see who gets selected. > RNG chooses ... [i]Envoy.[/i] NOPE. TOO SOON. I don't care who would get the extra lives: she is NOT dying right now. > I am [b]undoing this pull[/b] with Daz as the fortune teller using the ability. Flipped a coin for his survival... HEADS! Envoy lives on, and Daz does too--which I am VERY thankful for. Fortune tellers are the masters of keeping a lore plot from moving too fast or turning on a head... or, in other words, they're some kind of anti-deus ex machina while managing to also be a [i]regular[/i] deus ex machina LOL I finally found a way to write about Amanzo again! He and Envoy won't be a romantic ship (considering Envoy's aro-ace background I wanted to try giving her), but I definitely think they're on the way to being best-friends like she and Rhonda were. The next lore piece will probably be a direct continuation of this one, followed by a timeskip ahead a few weeks to finally get to the hatching of Swiftspear and Orden's eggs. I was hoping to do it today, but I had to get this done first, and I'm just running out of time right now! If I have more time to write tonight, though, you can definitely expect another update. As always, thanks for reading! [size=2][b]Pinglist (comment or PM me if you would like to be added!)[/b][/size] [size=1]@sedge122 [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] [center][color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52143217]Prev[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]<[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785#post_3153785][b]Home[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]>[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52163636]Next[/url][color=transparent]__[/color][/center]
Event 39

unknown.png

When Jenssen left ahead of Leonid, he didn't bother trying to catch up. He knew deep in his heart that he'd just made a huge mistake.

But wasn't being honest the best thing to be!? He knew how he felt about Jenssen! Or--well, now he was questioning it, but that just wasn't fair. They were raised like a brother and sister by Chuillyon. Maybe they really weren't siblings, but Leonid still felt that way, but now that he knew Jenssen didn't he wasn't as sure if he really did feel that way, and oh shoot, there was a headache coming on.

With a miserable sigh, Leonid spread his wings and flew back to the cave a few minutes after Jenssen did. He didn't try to talk to her again, feeling too ashamed and embarrassed to even look her in the eye right now--and he guessed that she felt the same way.

Trying to distract himself, when he returned, he went and looked for the knife that Jenssen had tripped over earlier. He still felt terrible about that, even though he wasn't the one who left it out... going the small rock shelf he'd set it on, he reached out to grab its handle in the darkness.
His talon came down on empty air. Puzzled, he shuffled it around carefully, trying to feel for the handle or even the blade; but he never touched anything at all.

The knife was gone.
Amanzo spent the night more awake than asleep, but that felt like it was just normal now. Apart from a few voices or the occasional bump in the night, though, nothing happened. Envoy, the younger Imperial, was sleeping soundly behind him in the cave. He felt like a valorous knight, or perhaps an impenetrable Guardian defending his charge. Nothing ever came to threaten him--although he felt like he'd caught a glimpse of a small, sleek figure looming in the doorway at some point.

The next morning, he certainly felt tired, but his eyes still just wouldn't close. He was staring at a few tiny cracks in the wall, pretending he was watching a tiny version of himself and Amou soaring through the sideways ravines, chasing after Chuillyon as he barked at them about flying too fast or something, when a voice suddenly piped up behind him. "Did you even sleep?"

Amanzo looked over his shoulder. Envoy was still laying down, but her eyes were open and focused on him. Staring at the wall had been helping him fight off that constant queasiness in his body, but now it surged back slightly. "Uh... yeah!" he lied. "Yeah, I slept, obviously. Be crazy not to."

The sapphire-blue dragoness gave him a saddened look. "I know you aren't feeling good. You feel sick, right?"

"A- a little," admitted Amanzo. "But it's... kinda been that way, ever since--well."

A brief silence fell between the two of them. Envoy's eyes traced along the rocks and sand on the floor distantly, making her look almost like she was in a trance. "I feel sick too," she finally replied, in her soft voice. "I've felt bad since the day after Chuillyon died." A shudder went through Amanzo. That had been when he started feeling unwell too. "Not just a tummyache, either... sometimes I feel like, the things I'm thinking--they don't make any sense. I think about doing things I never understand why I'd do."

That made Amanzo's stomach lurch a little. Something was dawning on him in his mind... "Really? Like- like what?"

Envoy bit her tongue, like she wasn't sure she should say what was on her mind. Amanzo tried offering her a gentle, encouraging smile, and it seemed to help a little. Emboldened, even if just slightly, Envoy took a deep breath. "I've--been having this dream. Where, I wake up all alone in the middle of the desert, and I'm tired and starving and burning up in the sun... and then I hear this voice." She shuddered, and Amanzo shifted towards her protectively. "It's in my own mind. I think to myself... augh, I don't want to say it out loud. But--for some reason I want to- to take my claws, and put them to my throat..."

"Sweet Windsinger..." Amanzo cursed under his breath.

Envoy nodded. "I know. It's awful... and what's worse, is I want to do it, even though I know better, and- and I'd never even think about it before. And I have no idea why."

Amanzo was quiet for a few moments; and then he raised his head. Something had just clicked. "Maybe... you don't want to do it." Envoy blinked, giving him a confused look. "I mean- hear me out. You remember Shroren yesterday, when he tried to hurt you? And Selene said something like 'It's not you who's doing this'?" An inexplicable flare of anger rose in him when he thought of Selene--but then he realized: he didn't actually understand why he was so mad at her. For crying out loud, he'd even tried to kill her! "And, me too! I've done weird things that confused me too! Just like you, and just like Shroren. He had no idea what he was doing--and then they all realized that it was that creepy shade stuff that was controlling his mind. Making him want to do stuff that just hurt him... or hurt you."

"You get it," a new voice suddenly said from nowhere.
unknown.png

A giant, grey-and-red figure appeared suddenly in the doorway, and Amanzo and Envoy both shot to their feet with a shared yelp. The Imperial stood over a head taller than each of them: he wasn't quite Chuillyon's size, but he was still very imposing. A dusty, tattered black tailcoat was worn over his back, and he had citrine earrings that matched the colors of his eyes. "Who are you!?" Amanzo cried, instinctively taking a defensive stance. He realized that it was a stupid thing to do against a stranger who could crush him instantly--but to his surprise, it actually made the dragon back down instead of provoking him.

The unfamiliar Imperial stepped back and lowered his wings in a nonthreatening way. "I mean no harm," he assured Amanzo, his whiskers doing a slight twitch. His eyes turned to Envoy, and his expression turned deathly serious. "I came here to help you. In a few moments, you are going to feel an overwhelming urge to cut your own throat." Envoy's eyes widened in fear, but the stranger continued, glaring at her intensely. "When it happens, remember one thing. It's not you who wants to do it: it's the shadebearer controlling you."

Sudden, deathly silence gripped the cave. Amanzo glanced between Envoy and the stranger rapidly--but when he was looking at Envoy, he noticed her expression change just slightly. It was so subtle that he almost didn't notice it. Without thinking, Amanzo lunged towards her as fast as he could--and he when he raised his talon, he found her wrist caught in his claws, just before her own had reached her neck.

They looked into each other's eyes as Amanzo held Envoy's talon back. She looked confused and terrified, and yet, desperate. She tried to wrestle free of Amanzo's grasp, and almost succeeded before the stranger swooped in from the side and tackled her to the ground. "Envoy!" Amanzo exclaimed. "Snap out of it! It's trying to get you to hurt yourself!"

"She doesn't realize that yet!" the stranger growled, pressing down on Envoy's shoulders to keep her from moving her talons. "It's taken control of her thoughts completely."

Underneath Daz's weight, Envoy struggled to move at all. Still, she fought, trying to claw at either Daz or herself. "Let go of me! Please, let go!"

"I can't do that until it releases you."

Amanzo sat down in front of Envoy quickly, touching his claws gently to either side of her jaw. "Listen," he said, trying to make his voice calm. "I know how confused you are. We just talked about it, remember? You've got to break free; you need to figure out that it's not your own OWWIE!!" He yelled out and jumped away from Envoy as she bit one of his talons.

The cave began to fill with rushed voices as dragons came to see what struggle was causing all the noise. Swiftspear was the first to arrive, and she almost threw a kunai at Daz before Amanzo managed to stop her--this time without getting beaten up. As more dragons came into the cave, Daz quickly explained the situation, and Leonid and went immediately to help him hold the fighting Envoy down. The Imperial's cries and pleas to release her; to let her hurt herself so badly, were haunting.

Finally, the fight began to die out of Envoy almost two minutes later. By that point Amanzo had seriously been considering leaving the cramped room and trying to clear his head... but he had to make sure she was okay first. He regretted ever leaving Amou: he couldn't do the same with Envoy. His patience was rewarded when the young Imperial's roaring died off into panting, and then to confused murmuring as she tried to come to grips with what had just happened to her. She wasn't trying to fight anymore, and after Daz eased off of her back, Leonid and Orden nodded to each other and released her talons as well. She was left lying in an exhausted heap, but Amanzo came over quickly to help her to her feet. "Are you okay-?" His voice cracked unexpectedly as he spoke.

Envoy didn't reply as she took his talon, even after he'd lifted her back to a stand. She didn't meet anyone's eyes, and her heavy panting still echoed on the walls of the cave. "I think so..." she whispered. He could see--and feel, through her talon--that she was shaking. Or maybe he was, or maybe they both were. He didn't know what was happening as Envoy sank towards him suddenly: all he really knew was that he caught her in his wings and then held on tight, giving her something to lean on as she cowered. He didn't say anything: nothing needed to be said between the two of them.

He was just glad that she was alive.

Out-of-lore summary:

> Coin/d20: heads, 17. First extra life in a while! It goes to Shroren by RNG's order.
> Speaking of which, rolled 1d4 for Shroren's assassination attempt on Envoy: ...2. (The assassin fails the attempt and loses a life)
> Well! I guess that extra life immediately helped him upon getting it. That doesn't help my cause though...
> Oh well, onwards we move. Went to Pinkerton: challenge time!
> Rolled 1d20. 16: Sacrifice. Uh-oh.
> Rolled 1d4 to determine the outcome... 1. OH NO. (A random dragon is exalted regardless of lives, and four dragons gain an extra life in their stead)
> Oh man... I just realized that I'm really attached to everybody who's still alive. I'm looking at Daz and his fortune-teller superpowers right now... but we'll have to see who gets selected.
> RNG chooses ... Envoy. NOPE. TOO SOON. I don't care who would get the extra lives: she is NOT dying right now.
> I am undoing this pull with Daz as the fortune teller using the ability. Flipped a coin for his survival... HEADS! Envoy lives on, and Daz does too--which I am VERY thankful for.

Fortune tellers are the masters of keeping a lore plot from moving too fast or turning on a head... or, in other words, they're some kind of anti-deus ex machina while managing to also be a regular deus ex machina LOL

I finally found a way to write about Amanzo again! He and Envoy won't be a romantic ship (considering Envoy's aro-ace background I wanted to try giving her), but I definitely think they're on the way to being best-friends like she and Rhonda were.

The next lore piece will probably be a direct continuation of this one, followed by a timeskip ahead a few weeks to finally get to the hatching of Swiftspear and Orden's eggs. I was hoping to do it today, but I had to get this done first, and I'm just running out of time right now! If I have more time to write tonight, though, you can definitely expect another update.

@sedge122

signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

Ougggggggggggggggh that is so good
talk between leonid and jenness completely destroyed me

also my man daz finally getting some well-deserved action!!!
the whole thing with all imperials being lowkey possessed by the shadow bearer? spooky........
i wonder if shadowbearer was trying to kill envoy to bring her back as an emperor in fuse with vaskar (i legitimately cant remember his name)

anyway would like to be added to pingllist
Ougggggggggggggggh that is so good
talk between leonid and jenness completely destroyed me

also my man daz finally getting some well-deserved action!!!
the whole thing with all imperials being lowkey possessed by the shadow bearer? spooky........
i wonder if shadowbearer was trying to kill envoy to bring her back as an emperor in fuse with vaskar (i legitimately cant remember his name)

anyway would like to be added to pingllist
aesq82D.giff54b7fcb7a59201d421ffead40d394df8005beab.png41722454605_fc7ec4942e_o.png
i also genuinely cant remember where did that knife came from and is it plot relevant
i also genuinely cant remember where did that knife came from and is it plot relevant
@pepperzucchini Targeting Envoy with the idea of creating an Emperor is a very good guess... I'm happy to add you to the pinglist going forward!

As for the knife Leonid noticed was missing, it just made its first appearance in the last lore piece when Jenssen accidentally kicked it. It's not important already, but it will become more significant later!
@pepperzucchini Targeting Envoy with the idea of creating an Emperor is a very good guess... I'm happy to add you to the pinglist going forward!

As for the knife Leonid noticed was missing, it just made its first appearance in the last lore piece when Jenssen accidentally kicked it. It's not important already, but it will become more significant later!
signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

[center][size=1][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/7#post_52200110]Click me to skip to the next lore piece![/url][/center] [center][color=#63B2CE][b]Bonus Post 4: The Story So Far[/color] [color=#63B2CE]_______________________________________________________________[/center] [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/737536277888499844/1012196277624258650/cold_boi.png[/img] First off, check out this awesome art that @/Azerabella made of Chuillyon! You can find her art shop [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/art/3166508#post_3166508]here.[/url] Second... this isn't a normal bonus piece. I feel like the plot of this lore has fallen slightly out of my hands, and I wanted to spend a moment summarizing everything that's happened in the foreground (and background) so far, with Chuillyon and the mysterious "shadebearer" that the clan is struggling with. If you feel like you haven't been confused by the story so far, that's great! You won't need to read the summary below. As always, thanks for reading! [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] I was writing another lore piece today that was meant to explain what exactly had happened to Envoy, and why Daz was able to rescue her without being immediately taken control of by the Shade, but it ended up being horribly convoluted. I was trying to explain so much stuff in character, when nobody really has all of the knowledge of what's happening put together in one place. My characters cannot effectively explain the shadebearer, the mind-control, or Chuillyon Vaskar's vendetta and plan to you, so I want to do a quick recap of everything that I can here. [i]This story started when Chuillyon's son, Luachian, was killed in a plot against him (about a year before the events of today). Seeking revenge for his son's death, he killed Argan's son, Torgan, who was the leader of the clan he lived in at the time. Facing exile for his crime, Chuillyon inexplicably took it rather well and immediately left the clan on his own, going to a place in the Shifting Expanse that he already knew existed: the Forsaken Wastes. He came here for several reasons, some of which are still unknown, but one of the most important ones was because this place has almost no connection to any of the eleven elements of Sornieth: it's a dead zone with no flowing leylines that provide elemental energy to the area. Instead, in its place, there's a festering corruption of shade magic (magical energy that is in alignment with the Shade instead of with the Eleven)--and wielding this magic to his advantage, Chuillyon created a [b]shadebearer[/b]: a name for a creature that is not corrupted by the Shade, but instead born of it. Dragons who die in the shadebearer's domain have their elemental magic held captive by the shadebearer, which feeds off of it to grow its own strength. It's essentially keeping the souls of dragons alive to absorb their power, and gaining a whole new host of abilities in the process. - Firstly, using the shadebearer's magic, Chuillyon becomes able to perform spells that should be unnatural for a dragon to do alone--such as accelerating the growth of other dragons. This can only be done with carefully-enchanted scrolls produced by (or with the help of) Arcane magic otherwise. - Second, it becomes capable of controlling other dragons' thoughts and actions. This is what happened to Daz when he was possessed, and it's how it tried to make Shroren attack Envoy--as well as making Envoy attack herself. To control a dragon that isn't deeply shade-touched is very difficult and draining, though, which weakens the mana reserves that the shadebearer has been building up with the magical energy of the dead. (Note: Daz was actually born already shade-touched, which is what made him the first to show signs of this possession. It's also what gives him his fortune teller/future-predicting ability!) - Third, when it's finally strong enough, it can begin to intentionally corrupt dragons who aren't already shade-touched. The shadebearer did this to Shroren in the attempt to make him kill Envoy, and now that he's permanently marked by the shade, he can easily be controlled again in the future instead of having to use so much energy to do it. - Finally ... we haven't gotten to this point yet. But getting here is why it wants Envoy, Daz, or even Amanzo dead. For a while, Chuillyon got away with attracting dragons to the Forsaken Wastes and waiting for the dangerous land (or their own blunders) to claim their lives, and amassing power for the shadebearer in that way--but eventually Selene came along and figured out (at least a part of) what he was up to, and managed to kill Chuillyon in a duel. At this point the shadebearer couldn't control non-shade-touched dragons, but after Chuillyon's substantial amount of mana was added to its pool, it could begin to do this. The first signs that it showed were Amanzo irrationally attacking Selene in a fit of anger, and Envoy feeling sick in both body and mind. Imperials are especially susceptible to the mind-control. The shadebearer that Chuillyon created before his death has been continuing its work on its own, slowly absorbing the dead's mana and turning it into shade mana to make itself stronger. Everything it just tried to do has set it back, though, giving the clan just a little bit more time to figure out what they're up against--and how to stop it. Chuillyon is dead, but what he started is not gone.[/i] I would put a TL:DR summary here, but if you've been reading this kingdomlocke's lore at all... I know you like long reads! [emoji=guardian winking size=1] Put simply though, Chuillyon has created something even more powerful than himself by tampering with the Shade and its null magic. [center][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/795321/79532096.png[/img] [font=century gothic][spoiler]YOU ARE TOYING WITH DEATH AND IT WILL COME FOR YOU SOON. ...SIRE.[/center] This shadebearer, if it's not discovered and stopped, has the potential to grow stronger and stronger until it's consumed all of Sornieth. [size=2][b]Pinglist (comment or PM me if you would like to be added!)[/b][/size] [size=1]@sedge122 @pepperzucchini [center][color=#63B2CE]___________________________________________________________[/center] [center][color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/6#post_52160457]Prev[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]<[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785#post_3153785][b]Home[/url][color=transparent]__[/color]>[color=transparent]__[/color][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3153785/7#post_52200110]Next[/url][color=transparent]__[/color][/center]
Bonus Post 4: The Story So Far

First off, check out this awesome art that @/Azerabella made of Chuillyon! You can find her art shop here.

Second... this isn't a normal bonus piece. I feel like the plot of this lore has fallen slightly out of my hands, and I wanted to spend a moment summarizing everything that's happened in the foreground (and background) so far, with Chuillyon and the mysterious "shadebearer" that the clan is struggling with. If you feel like you haven't been confused by the story so far, that's great! You won't need to read the summary below.

I was writing another lore piece today that was meant to explain what exactly had happened to Envoy, and why Daz was able to rescue her without being immediately taken control of by the Shade, but it ended up being horribly convoluted. I was trying to explain so much stuff in character, when nobody really has all of the knowledge of what's happening put together in one place. My characters cannot effectively explain the shadebearer, the mind-control, or Chuillyon Vaskar's vendetta and plan to you, so I want to do a quick recap of everything that I can here.

This story started when Chuillyon's son, Luachian, was killed in a plot against him (about a year before the events of today). Seeking revenge for his son's death, he killed Argan's son, Torgan, who was the leader of the clan he lived in at the time.

Facing exile for his crime, Chuillyon inexplicably took it rather well and immediately left the clan on his own, going to a place in the Shifting Expanse that he already knew existed: the Forsaken Wastes. He came here for several reasons, some of which are still unknown, but one of the most important ones was because this place has almost no connection to any of the eleven elements of Sornieth: it's a dead zone with no flowing leylines that provide elemental energy to the area.

Instead, in its place, there's a festering corruption of shade magic (magical energy that is in alignment with the Shade instead of with the Eleven)--and wielding this magic to his advantage, Chuillyon created a shadebearer: a name for a creature that is not corrupted by the Shade, but instead born of it. Dragons who die in the shadebearer's domain have their elemental magic held captive by the shadebearer, which feeds off of it to grow its own strength. It's essentially keeping the souls of dragons alive to absorb their power, and gaining a whole new host of abilities in the process.
- Firstly, using the shadebearer's magic, Chuillyon becomes able to perform spells that should be unnatural for a dragon to do alone--such as accelerating the growth of other dragons. This can only be done with carefully-enchanted scrolls produced by (or with the help of) Arcane magic otherwise.
- Second, it becomes capable of controlling other dragons' thoughts and actions. This is what happened to Daz when he was possessed, and it's how it tried to make Shroren attack Envoy--as well as making Envoy attack herself. To control a dragon that isn't deeply shade-touched is very difficult and draining, though, which weakens the mana reserves that the shadebearer has been building up with the magical energy of the dead. (Note: Daz was actually born already shade-touched, which is what made him the first to show signs of this possession. It's also what gives him his fortune teller/future-predicting ability!)
- Third, when it's finally strong enough, it can begin to intentionally corrupt dragons who aren't already shade-touched. The shadebearer did this to Shroren in the attempt to make him kill Envoy, and now that he's permanently marked by the shade, he can easily be controlled again in the future instead of having to use so much energy to do it.
- Finally ... we haven't gotten to this point yet. But getting here is why it wants Envoy, Daz, or even Amanzo dead.

For a while, Chuillyon got away with attracting dragons to the Forsaken Wastes and waiting for the dangerous land (or their own blunders) to claim their lives, and amassing power for the shadebearer in that way--but eventually Selene came along and figured out (at least a part of) what he was up to, and managed to kill Chuillyon in a duel. At this point the shadebearer couldn't control non-shade-touched dragons, but after Chuillyon's substantial amount of mana was added to its pool, it could begin to do this. The first signs that it showed were Amanzo irrationally attacking Selene in a fit of anger, and Envoy feeling sick in both body and mind. Imperials are especially susceptible to the mind-control.

The shadebearer that Chuillyon created before his death has been continuing its work on its own, slowly absorbing the dead's mana and turning it into shade mana to make itself stronger. Everything it just tried to do has set it back, though, giving the clan just a little bit more time to figure out what they're up against--and how to stop it.

Chuillyon is dead, but what he started is not gone.

I would put a TL:DR summary here, but if you've been reading this kingdomlocke's lore at all... I know you like long reads! Put simply though, Chuillyon has created something even more powerful than himself by tampering with the Shade and its null magic.
79532096.png
YOU ARE TOYING WITH DEATH
AND IT WILL COME FOR YOU SOON.
...SIRE.

This shadebearer, if it's not discovered and stopped, has the potential to grow stronger and stronger until it's consumed all of Sornieth.

@sedge122 @pepperzucchini

signature.png

__A Kingdomlocke Game

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12