Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Batsnacc's (Lovecraftian) Fodderlocke
1 2 3 4
So, I had this idea to try to combine the comedy and shenanigans of [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527/1#post_2806527]a Fodderlocke challenge (c/o squidragon)[/url] with the cosmic horror of [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/1481136#post_1481136]the Lovecraftian Nuzlocke (c/o Pasafatu)[/url] This thread will be my repository for the associated lore, as well as a means of tracking the events of the challenge. I dunno how long I'll be able to keep this up or how regularly I'll be able to update it, but I'm really enjoying the idea right now! The thing's going to start as a Fodderlocke, but all the exalts/"deaths" that happen in the Fodderlocke will go towards the summoning of the eldritch horror. Once I hit 500 exalts, the Lovecraftian lore portion of the challenge will begin. As such, I'm just going to establish the rules of the Fodderlocke portion in this post; I'll set out a clearer picture of what the Lovecraftian portion will look like once I'm closer to reaching it. I've already completed the setup portion of the challenge: [quote name=squidragon]You need your first disposable fodder child, naturally. But this is not just any disposal fodder child. They are the founder of your new squad of completely horrible criminals. [LIST=1] [*]Buy yourself the cheapest adult dragon off the auction house. Appearance doesn’t matter when your only goal in life is to do crime. [*] Level that dragon to 8. They must be stronger than their recruits. Strength is valuable. Important.. Vital to not being backstabbed. Put a big obnoxious crown and/or robe on them for good measure. They Must know their worth. They Must know that they’re better than alllll the others. [*] If any dragon ever passes them in level, that dragon takes over as the new leader. Exalt the old leader. They must be banished in shame. [*] Recruit your first crime buddies. Grab 4 more of the cheapest adults off the auction house. Level each of them to 6. [/LIST] [/quote] Here are my terrible crime lizards: [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71795133][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/717952/71795133.png?mtime=ZYZu-CyrAWg.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70810823][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/708109/70810823.png?mtime=ZYZvoLcAzJw.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73623286][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/736233/73623286.png?mtime=ZYZvoTjUqAA.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73334458][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/733345/73334458.png?mtime=ZYZvn7ve0iw.png[/img][/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73735060][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/737351/73735060.png?mtime=ZYZtOBjS5HQ.png[/img][/url] They're idiots. I hate them so much. The random name generator literally named that poor Mirror "Traitor" and the other four still let him be in the gang for some reason. I literally can't believe this. Anyway, they're all appropriately leveled. The leader has his fancy wing armor, though a few of them have apparel and familiars just so I don't accidentally get rid of them. They'll each get a proper introduction post later on. Their crimes are these: they have met my progens, Coelispex and Basileia, who are part of a different lore project. Part of Spex's backstory is that he has seen something unspeakable; he won't say what it is, but it damaged him both physically and mentally. Once I scroll him into a PC, it'll have destroyed his pearl. Basileia is his protector and best friend; she's trying to figure out what happened to him. Mercury and co., being the avaricious terrible lizard idiots that they are, are going to try to set up a cult around these two, inducting vulnerable dragons into their circle and using a lot of cosmic horror mumbo jumbo to swindle them out of their treasure. Little do they know, they're actually telling the truth for once in their lives. I'll be using [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2806527/2#post_41900922]TheAwesomeMew's expanded D20 version of the Fodderlocke rules[/url], which run as follows: [quote name=TheAwesomeMew] [LIST=1] [*] [b]Big mistake.[/b] Somebody misread the directions. Three random dragons attempted to break into the local law enforcement agency instead of the bank where the heist was supposed to take place. They’re instantly taken into custody. Exalt! [*] [b]There’s a scandal (or romance) afoot.[/b] Pick two of your ready to breed dragons at random if you have any. Put them on a nest. The babies will join your crime organization when they hatch. Level them to 5 when they come of age. If the parents would be exalted while they’re on the nest, wait until their nest hatches and Then exalt them. If nobody is ready to breed, grab a random hatchie off the AH. A secret forbidden child or sibling has been uncovered. [*] [b]There’s Romance in the air.[/b] Pick two dragons at random. They are now in a relationship. If one gets exalted, so does the other. Their fates are bound together. [*] [b]Hunting trip.[/b] Take any two of your dragons into a coli venue that is too low for them to gain experience. (Your choice). Go until you get a familiar drop. Alternate Hunting Trip Variation (based on suggestion by Alphazi) Roll 1d4: 1) Hunting Trip (Look for a familiar) 2) Treasure Hunt (Look for a chest or other openable) 3) Stocking up on Supplies (Look for a battlestone) 4) Costume Shopping (Look for an apparel item) [*] [b]Freeloader.[/b] Some random dragon has decided to hang at your place. Who is this guy???? Grab the cheapest adult off the AH. Leave them at level 1. For bonus points, try sniping an underpriced adult. [*] [b] Crimes time![/b] Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*] [b]Crimes time![/b] Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*] [b] Crimes time![/b] Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission. [*] [b]Kids can do crimes too.[/b] Grab the cheapest hatchie off the AH. Level it to 5 when it comes of age. [*] [b]Backstabbing.[/b] Choose a dragon at random who is not the leader. Exalt them. Bye. [*] [b]Test the Newbies.[/b] Roll a d10 for each of your lowest-level dragons. If it’s higher than their level, exalt them. They were not good enough. Raise the remaining low-level dragons by one level. [*] [b] Major Heist!![/b] This is it! Your time to shine. Roll a d12 for Every dragon. If you get higher than their level, exalt. Raise all survivors by one level. [*] [b] A coup![/b] Exalt your leader. They have been dramatically betrayed by the others a la the ides of march. Determine a new leader from the remaining dragons. The highest level dragon will be it. If there is a tie, the oldest tied dragon shall be the leader. Level the tied dragon one level to make it better than its peers. [*] [b]Where’s the money at?[/b] Some money went missing from the gang’s ill gotten gains. Take two dragons of your choice into any venue they would not gain XP from. They must fight until an openable item drops. Venue doesn’t have one? Too bad; now they have to find an item that can be hoardsold for more than 100 treasure instead. [*] [b] Bad weather.[/b] It’s raining lightly outside, so, of course, crime cannot happen today. Nothing happens. [*] [b]Take a gamble.[/b] The two highest-level dragons undergo a risky operation. Flip a coin. If heads, they both survive and gain a level from the daring endeavor. If tails, take both of them into a venue matching their level and exalt whichever one faints first. [*] [b]Ambushed![/b] The law has somehow located the group’s hideout! Flip a coin. If heads, most of them manage to escape; exalt one random dragon. If tails, two random dragons fall during the escape and must be exalted. [*] [b]Rich tastes.[/b] Even the rich aren’t immune to the allure of good ol’ fashioned organized crime. Buy the cheapest XXX dragon on the AH and level them to seven. If the leader ever dies while they’re around, they become the new leader instantly. [*] [b] A mutiny![/b] One random dragon decides to start their own criminal enterprise. They become the leader of a whole new gang. One other random dragon goes with them. This new gang acts as its own mini-fodderlocke and does the daily phases. Only one new mutiny group can exist alongside the main group so things don't get out of hand. Any time this result (19) is rolled by the main group, one random dragon joins the mutineers. Any time this result (19) is rolled by the new group, one random dragon goes back to the main gang. Any time only one dragon is left in the new group, exalt the last remaining dragon and remove it from play. [*] [b]Gettin’ down with the thievery.[/b] The squad’s gettin’ smart. Wicked smart. Three random dragons are now SO smart that they forgot how to die. If any of them would, for any reason, be exalted, they now simply...don’t do that. But only once. Treat this as an “extra life” of sorts. [/LIST] [/quote] In addition, there are bonus rules regarding coli drops: [quote name=squidragon] [b]Eliminate:[/b] Oh, bad luck. Exalt both of them. [b]Gene: [/b]Good luck! They’ve blessed you with excellent loot. Put an apparel item of choice on each to mark as given a second chance. If you would exalt them, instead remove the apparel. They have managed to scrape by. [b] Egg:[/b] Oh nice, think of how many hatchlings you can buy if you sell One egg. Pick up the three cheapest hatchies on the AH. Level them to 5 when they come of age. [b]Rally:[/b] The current party is motivated! If they would have to roll as to whether or not they'll get exalted at the end of this coli event, they automatically succeed and return safely to your lair. [b]Ambush:[/b] Randomly choose one of the dragons in the current coli party. They flee and get the heck out. Immediately refresh, remove them, and replace them with a random other dragon. [/quote] So I'll post days in the challenge as often as I can, interspersed with occasional lore dumps about the clan in general. Dragon bios will go here, too, since many of them will probably be exalted as a result of the challenge. That's all the setup involved so far-- currently I'm at 0/500 dragons exalted towards my Summoning, so I don't think setting up the lore for that is too urgent right now :) At the end of the day the number of possessed dragons I'll have once the abomination is summoned will be 500/30 = 16 and 2/3 > 17 dragons; we'll see if I cut that number down once I actually get to making my selections. I've already started writing up a background for how my original five got together, so I'll post that forthwith, and then I'll get into Day 1 hopefully before rollover.
So, I had this idea to try to combine the comedy and shenanigans of a Fodderlocke challenge (c/o squidragon) with the cosmic horror of the Lovecraftian Nuzlocke (c/o Pasafatu) This thread will be my repository for the associated lore, as well as a means of tracking the events of the challenge. I dunno how long I'll be able to keep this up or how regularly I'll be able to update it, but I'm really enjoying the idea right now!

The thing's going to start as a Fodderlocke, but all the exalts/"deaths" that happen in the Fodderlocke will go towards the summoning of the eldritch horror. Once I hit 500 exalts, the Lovecraftian lore portion of the challenge will begin. As such, I'm just going to establish the rules of the Fodderlocke portion in this post; I'll set out a clearer picture of what the Lovecraftian portion will look like once I'm closer to reaching it.

I've already completed the setup portion of the challenge:
squidragon wrote:
You need your first disposable fodder child, naturally. But this is not just any disposal fodder child. They are the founder of your new squad of completely horrible criminals.
  1. Buy yourself the cheapest adult dragon off the auction house. Appearance doesn’t matter when your only goal in life is to do crime.
  2. Level that dragon to 8. They must be stronger than their recruits. Strength is valuable. Important.. Vital to not being backstabbed. Put a big obnoxious crown and/or robe on them for good measure. They Must know their worth. They Must know that they’re better than alllll the others.
  3. If any dragon ever passes them in level, that dragon takes over as the new leader. Exalt the old leader. They must be banished in shame.
  4. Recruit your first crime buddies. Grab 4 more of the cheapest adults off the auction house. Level each of them to 6.

Here are my terrible crime lizards:

71795133.png?mtime=ZYZu-CyrAWg.png 70810823.png?mtime=ZYZvoLcAzJw.png 73623286.png?mtime=ZYZvoTjUqAA.png 73334458.png?mtime=ZYZvn7ve0iw.png 73735060.png?mtime=ZYZtOBjS5HQ.png

They're idiots. I hate them so much. The random name generator literally named that poor Mirror "Traitor" and the other four still let him be in the gang for some reason. I literally can't believe this.

Anyway, they're all appropriately leveled. The leader has his fancy wing armor, though a few of them have apparel and familiars just so I don't accidentally get rid of them. They'll each get a proper introduction post later on.

Their crimes are these: they have met my progens, Coelispex and Basileia, who are part of a different lore project. Part of Spex's backstory is that he has seen something unspeakable; he won't say what it is, but it damaged him both physically and mentally. Once I scroll him into a PC, it'll have destroyed his pearl. Basileia is his protector and best friend; she's trying to figure out what happened to him. Mercury and co., being the avaricious terrible lizard idiots that they are, are going to try to set up a cult around these two, inducting vulnerable dragons into their circle and using a lot of cosmic horror mumbo jumbo to swindle them out of their treasure.

Little do they know, they're actually telling the truth for once in their lives.

I'll be using TheAwesomeMew's expanded D20 version of the Fodderlocke rules, which run as follows:
TheAwesomeMew wrote:
  1. Big mistake. Somebody misread the directions. Three random dragons attempted to break into the local law enforcement agency instead of the bank where the heist was supposed to take place. They’re instantly taken into custody. Exalt!
  2. There’s a scandal (or romance) afoot. Pick two of your ready to breed dragons at random if you have any. Put them on a nest. The babies will join your crime organization when they hatch. Level them to 5 when they come of age. If the parents would be exalted while they’re on the nest, wait until their nest hatches and Then exalt them. If nobody is ready to breed, grab a random hatchie off the AH. A secret forbidden child or sibling has been uncovered.
  3. There’s Romance in the air. Pick two dragons at random. They are now in a relationship. If one gets exalted, so does the other. Their fates are bound together.
  4. Hunting trip. Take any two of your dragons into a coli venue that is too low for them to gain experience. (Your choice). Go until you get a familiar drop.

Alternate Hunting Trip Variation (based on suggestion by Alphazi) Roll 1d4:
    1) Hunting Trip (Look for a familiar)
    2) Treasure Hunt (Look for a chest or other openable)
    3) Stocking up on Supplies (Look for a battlestone)
    4) Costume Shopping (Look for an apparel item)
  5. Freeloader. Some random dragon has decided to hang at your place. Who is this guy???? Grab the cheapest adult off the AH. Leave them at level 1. For bonus points, try sniping an underpriced adult.
  6. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  7. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  8. Crimes time! Pick two dragons at random. They have to go on a quest now. Raise both of them a level. Roll a 6-sided die for each. If it’s a 1, exalt them as they were lost in the mission.
  9. Kids can do crimes too. Grab the cheapest hatchie off the AH. Level it to 5 when it comes of age.
  10. Backstabbing. Choose a dragon at random who is not the leader. Exalt them. Bye.
  11. Test the Newbies. Roll a d10 for each of your lowest-level dragons. If it’s higher than their level, exalt them. They were not good enough. Raise the remaining low-level dragons by one level.
  12. Major Heist!! This is it! Your time to shine. Roll a d12 for Every dragon. If you get higher than their level, exalt. Raise all survivors by one level.
  13. A coup! Exalt your leader. They have been dramatically betrayed by the others a la the ides of march. Determine a new leader from the remaining dragons. The highest level dragon will be it. If there is a tie, the oldest tied dragon shall be the leader. Level the tied dragon one level to make it better than its peers.
  14. Where’s the money at? Some money went missing from the gang’s ill gotten gains. Take two dragons of your choice into any venue they would not gain XP from. They must fight until an openable item drops. Venue doesn’t have one? Too bad; now they have to find an item that can be hoardsold for more than 100 treasure instead.
  15. Bad weather. It’s raining lightly outside, so, of course, crime cannot happen today. Nothing happens.
  16. Take a gamble. The two highest-level dragons undergo a risky operation. Flip a coin. If heads, they both survive and gain a level from the daring endeavor. If tails, take both of them into a venue matching their level and exalt whichever one faints first.
  17. Ambushed! The law has somehow located the group’s hideout! Flip a coin. If heads, most of them manage to escape; exalt one random dragon. If tails, two random dragons fall during the escape and must be exalted.
  18. Rich tastes. Even the rich aren’t immune to the allure of good ol’ fashioned organized crime. Buy the cheapest XXX dragon on the AH and level them to seven. If the leader ever dies while they’re around, they become the new leader instantly.
  19. A mutiny! One random dragon decides to start their own criminal enterprise. They become the leader of a whole new gang. One other random dragon goes with them. This new gang acts as its own mini-fodderlocke and does the daily phases. Only one new mutiny group can exist alongside the main group so things don't get out of hand. Any time this result (19) is rolled by the main group, one random dragon joins the mutineers. Any time this result (19) is rolled by the new group, one random dragon goes back to the main gang. Any time only one dragon is left in the new group, exalt the last remaining dragon and remove it from play.
  20. Gettin’ down with the thievery. The squad’s gettin’ smart. Wicked smart. Three random dragons are now SO smart that they forgot how to die. If any of them would, for any reason, be exalted, they now simply...don’t do that. But only once. Treat this as an “extra life” of sorts.

In addition, there are bonus rules regarding coli drops:
squidragon wrote:
Eliminate: Oh, bad luck. Exalt both of them.
Gene: Good luck! They’ve blessed you with excellent loot. Put an apparel item of choice on each to mark as given a second chance. If you would exalt them, instead remove the apparel. They have managed to scrape by.
Egg: Oh nice, think of how many hatchlings you can buy if you sell One egg. Pick up the three cheapest hatchies on the AH. Level them to 5 when they come of age.
Rally: The current party is motivated! If they would have to roll as to whether or not they'll get exalted at the end of this coli event, they automatically succeed and return safely to your lair.
Ambush: Randomly choose one of the dragons in the current coli party. They flee and get the heck out. Immediately refresh, remove them, and replace them with a random other dragon.

So I'll post days in the challenge as often as I can, interspersed with occasional lore dumps about the clan in general. Dragon bios will go here, too, since many of them will probably be exalted as a result of the challenge.

That's all the setup involved so far-- currently I'm at 0/500 dragons exalted towards my Summoning, so I don't think setting up the lore for that is too urgent right now :) At the end of the day the number of possessed dragons I'll have once the abomination is summoned will be 500/30 = 16 and 2/3 > 17 dragons; we'll see if I cut that number down once I actually get to making my selections.

I've already started writing up a background for how my original five got together, so I'll post that forthwith, and then I'll get into Day 1 hopefully before rollover.
[center][b][size=5]THE CASUALTIES SO FAR[/b][/center][/size] [center][b][size=4][color=gray]109/500[/color][/size][/b][/center] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 1[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73783992][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737840/73783992p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73783993][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737840/73783993p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73691025][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/736911/73691025p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73334458][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/733345/73334458p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73782415][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737825/73782415p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 2[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73773022][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737731/73773022p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71795133][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/717952/71795133p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 3[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73729031][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737291/73729031p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73770439][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737705/73770439p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 4[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73021550][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/730216/73021550p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70810823][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/708109/70810823p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 5[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73701016][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737011/73701016p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73735060][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737351/73735060p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73763714][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737638/73763714p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73770447][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737705/73770447p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 7[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71141571][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/711416/71141571p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71590816][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/715909/71590816p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73766102][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737662/73766102p.png[/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73466709][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/734668/73466709p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73689875][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/736899/73689875p.png?mtime=ZYZirBJzNUg.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 8[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/66483290][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/664833/66483290p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73783583][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737836/73783583p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 11[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73763933][img]https://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737640/73763933p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73773066][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737731/73773066p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 12[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73842607][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738427/73842607p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 13[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73704385][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737044/73704385p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73455294][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/734553/73455294p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73868964][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738690/73868964p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 14[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73720262p][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737203/73720262p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 15[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73779496][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737795/73779496p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73779497][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737795/73779497p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73886290][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738863/73886290p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73886376][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738864/73886376p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73886377][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738864/73886377p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73872217][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738723/73872217p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73872212][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738723/73872212p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73779909][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737800/73779909p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73763491][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737635/73763491p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 16[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72995805][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/729959/72995805p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73807099][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738071/73807099p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 17[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72450898][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/724509/72450898p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72455662][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/724557/72455662p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72464420][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/724645/72464420p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72688002][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/726881/72688002p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/70891938][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/708920/70891938p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73808604][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738087/73808604p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73783584][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737836/73783584p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73726698][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737267/73726698p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73836042][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738361/73836042p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73886289][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738863/73886289p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73779910][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737800/73779910p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72465687][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/724657/72465687p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73623286][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/736233/73623286p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 18[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73890977][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738910/73890977p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73860412][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738605/73860412p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73701017][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737011/73701017p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 19[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73887991][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738880/73887991p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 20[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73961174][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739612/73961174p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73726757][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737268/73726757p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73961175][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739612/73961175p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 21[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73742514][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737426/73742514p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73949126][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739492/73949126p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71080929][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/710810/71080929p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73867123][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/738672/73867123p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73991406][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739915/73991406p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73763930][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737640/73763930p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 22[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73928873][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739289/73928873p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74050268][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740503/74050268p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71035351][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/710354/71035351p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 23[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73457347][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/734574/73457347p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73457348][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/734574/73457348p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 24[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72406464][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/724065/72406464p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/67281930][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/672820/67281930p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74056820][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740569/74056820p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74056821][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740569/74056821p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73956747][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739568/73956747p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 25[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74011861][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740119/74011861p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74011862][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740119/74011862p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74011865][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740119/74011865p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73152995][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/731530/73152995p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 26[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73999130][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739992/73999130p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73999131][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739992/73999131p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74128627][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741287/74128627p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74128629][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741287/74128629p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 27[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72874980][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/728750/72874980p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73275366][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/732754/73275366p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74050267][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740503/74050267p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74070921][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740710/74070921p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74088652][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740887/74088652p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 28[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/24853179][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/248532/24853179p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/47693389][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/476934/47693389p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/69147762][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/691478/69147762p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73701015][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737011/73701015p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74068634][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740687/74068634p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 29[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74182001][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741821/74182001p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74182004][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741821/74182004p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73746392][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/737464/73746392p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74083684][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740837/74083684p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 30[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74206205][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/742063/74206205p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 31[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74222659][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/742227/74222659p.png[/img][/url] [center][u][b][color=gray]DAY 32[/color][/b][/u][/center] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73970305][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/739704/73970305p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74103689][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741037/74103689p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/72732147][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/727322/72732147p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/73238087][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/732381/73238087p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74068635][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/740687/74068635p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74206884][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/742069/74206884p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/32718999][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/327190/32718999p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74235869][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/742359/74235869p.png[/img][/url][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/74153617][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/741537/74153617p.png[/img][/url]
THE CASUALTIES SO FAR
109/500
DAY 1
73783992p.png73783993p.png73691025p.png73334458p.png73782415p.png
DAY 2
73773022p.png71795133p.png

DAY 3
73729031p.png73770439p.png
DAY 4
73021550p.png70810823p.png
DAY 5
73701016p.png73735060p.png73763714p.png73770447p.png
DAY 7
71141571p.png71590816p.png73766102p.png73466709p.png73689875p.png?mtime=ZYZirBJzNUg.png
DAY 8
66483290p.png73783583p.png
DAY 11
73763933p.png73773066p.png
DAY 12
73842607p.png
DAY 13
73704385p.png73455294p.png73868964p.png
DAY 14
73720262p.png
DAY 15
73779496p.png73779497p.png73886290p.png73886376p.png73886377p.png73872217p.png73872212p.png73779909p.png73763491p.png
DAY 16
72995805p.png73807099p.png
DAY 17
72450898p.png72455662p.png72464420p.png72688002p.png70891938p.png73808604p.png73783584p.png73726698p.png73836042p.png73886289p.png73779910p.png72465687p.png73623286p.png
DAY 18
73890977p.png73860412p.png73701017p.png
DAY 19
73887991p.png
DAY 20
73961174p.png73726757p.png73961175p.png
DAY 21
73742514p.png73949126p.png71080929p.png73867123p.png73991406p.png73763930p.png
DAY 22
73928873p.png74050268p.png71035351p.png
DAY 23
73457347p.png73457348p.png
DAY 24
72406464p.png67281930p.png74056820p.png74056821p.png73956747p.png
DAY 25
74011861p.png74011862p.png74011865p.png73152995p.png
DAY 26
73999130p.png73999131p.png74128627p.png74128629p.png

DAY 27
72874980p.png73275366p.png74050267p.png74070921p.png74088652p.png
DAY 28
24853179p.png47693389p.png69147762p.png73701015p.png74068634p.png
DAY 29
74182001p.png74182004p.png73746392p.png74083684p.png
DAY 30
74206205p.png
DAY 31
74222659p.png

DAY 32
73970305p.png74103689p.png72732147p.png73238087p.png74068635p.png74206884p.png32718999p.png74235869p.png74153617p.png
[center][b][size=5]THE BACKSTORY[/size][/b][/center] [columns] Mercury and Domino met when Domino was just out of hatchlinghood. The young dragon had been separated from his mother and, in his wanderings, reached the edge of the Tangled Wood. Mercury had been wandering, too; exiled from the Shifting Expanse for embezzlement, insider trading, and criminal mischief, he had been living on his wits trying to get as far from the desert as possible. He'd made his way through the outskirts of the Sunbeam Ruins without picking up any hangers-on, but Domino's sheer terror and desperation made him take pity for once. [nextcol] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/717952/71795133.png?mtime=ZYZu-CyrAWg.png[/img] [/columns] [columns]Or maybe he just saw the potential for a good lackey.[/columns] [columns][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/708109/70810823.png?mtime=ZYZvoLcAzJw.png[/img] [nextcol]Though they had a rocky start, Domino's mischievous, fickle Shadow nature and Mercury's ruthless Lightning ambition have since made them the ideal criminal duo. Though they were very different, they communicated with each other well; Faes and Bogsneaks share their expressive crests, so Domino had less trouble understanding Mercury than another dragon of another breed might. Domino adopted a number of Mercury's mannerisms over time, as well, adapting almost unconsciously. Though Mercury wasn't above manipulating Domino at times, their long partnership made him attached; he could exploit Domino's good nature for his own gain and feel no qualms about it, but Stormcatcher forbid anyone else should try.[/columns] [columns] They didn't know where stock had come from. Or, rather, they did-- the name said enough-- but they preferred not to talk about it. His past wasn't important. It didn't matter why he was so attached to his depin protector, or where he had learned to fake the social mores and expressions of other dragons so well. It didn’t matter that he watched them all with wide, inky eyes, as though cataloguing each expression and each sound in a mental hoard. They didn't need to ask too many questions; they accepted that they couldn’t know everything. In a life like theirs, everyone had secrets. Easier to accept stock for who he was now-- and be grateful for the con-artistry he brought with him-- than to pick him apart for who they thought he should be. [nextcol] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/736233/73623286.png?mtime=ZYZvoTjUqAA.png[/img][/columns] [columns]Even so, Mercury worried about stock. He would never admit it-- he could hardly even explain it to himself-- but he was unsettled. It just wasn’t normal for a Fae to behave that way. He didn't seem to understand the subtleties of Mercury's crest movements; there were tones in his voice Mercury didn't understand. It made him uncomfortable; though he was seldom outright unkind, he avoided the strange Fae when he could. Domino, on the other hand, was immediately delighted to have a new playmate. Though Bogsneaks are naturally solitary creatures, Domino's innate magic came from the Shadowbinder, and he loved to play. Mercury had little patience with this, but stock-- a fellow Shadow dragon, and one with lots of experience in proper dragon society-- knew all sorts of games. Domino, who'd spent most of his life on the margins with Mercury, relished what few stories he could bring himself to tell; it was primarily due to Domino's friendship that stock became attached to their little group.[/columns] [columns] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/733345/73334458.png?mtime=ZYZvn7ve0iw.png[/img][nextcol]Rainscale, on the other hand, attached herself. Gregarious and witty, she fit right in with the group's shadowy majority, bringing a bright and cheerful influence to counterbalance Domino's trickiness and stock's carefully polished facade. Though she was born in the Tangled Wood, she retained her loyalty to the Flamecaller; as the group's pyrotechnics consultant, she used fire, explosions, and brilliant illusions to disguise their criminal activities and secure entry to hidden and forbidden places. (She also used them for pranks; she was still from the Shadow flight, after all.)[/columns] [columns]Rainscale, stock, and Domino made an odd but effective trio; their shared elemental affiliation helped to smooth over their other differences, making complements out of what might have been conflicts. Rainscale and stock, in particular, bonded closely; Rainscale’s natural effervescence allowed stock to give up the reins of conversation, relaxing (even if just for a moment) back into long-forgotten Fae routines of expression, whereas stock’s quietude made him the perfect audience for Rainscale’s rambling and antics. At first, this left Mercury the odd one out; a hardworking and driven Lightning dragon, without the same affiliation for games and mischief, he had trouble understanding their antics. It didn't help that as the three spent more time together, it became harder and harder to access Domino without one or the other of them tagging along. He didn't miss the kid-- he didn't!-- but... He tried to dismiss his own feelings on the subject-- but they persisted, regardless of whether or not he acknowledged them. Domino, too, however, was beginning to buckle under the weight of their additional companions. Bogsneaks are not social animals by nature; stock and Rainscale were both gregarious, extroverted types who needed much from their friendship. His exhaustion began to affect his work; he found himself dropping responsibilities and losing track of their criminal enterprises in his efforts to keep up with the group and retain their affections. The group's finances began to suffer.[/columns] [columns]Both these problems were solved by the sudden arrival of Traitor. Spacey, inquisitive, downright weird-- a typical Arcanite-- Traitor appeared as though from nowhere, trampling a game of wyrms-and-ladders in pursuit of what he claimed was a new and never-before-seen kind of mith. He was erratic, unpredictable, and deeply inconvenient, but they couldn't seem to get rid of him; everywhere they went, there he was; whether he was squinting at distant stars or digging for new ores or working out strange and unhelpful alchemical formulas, the one constant was his disruption of their schemes; eventually, Mercury invited him to travel with them, hoping it would temper his disruptive effects. [nextcol][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/737351/73735060.png?mtime=ZYZtOBjS5HQ.png[/img][/columns] [columns]Traitor instantly captured Rainscale and stock’s attentions, and they eagerly followed him in his various investigations and adventures, incorporating his discoveries into their games. In spite of his deeply suspicious name, he was inducted into the group with no pomp or ceremony; within days, it was as though he’d been with them all his life, trading a seemingly infinite reserve of stories and fun facts for Rainscale’s jokes and stock’s quiet listening ear. Relieved suddenly of his social obligations, Domino returned to Mercury’s side, finally stepping up into the second-in-command role Mercury didn't even realize he'd been training him for, and the two of them began hatching their brilliant schemes once again. Traitor didn’t just add to the little group’s social dynamic-- he provided a valuable source of muscle, enabling the group to protect themselves from the many enemies they made, and his constant studies and explorations inspired many of Mercury’s new ventures. For all his drive and strategic brilliance, the Fae was lacking in imagination, and Traitor had that in spades. The group had finally hit their stride, it seemed. Between the five of them, they had all their bases covered, and could get away with almost anything. They had never been (and would never be) rich, but at least for now they were getting by. They could feed themselves; they could buy clothes occasionally; Mercury stopped making ill-received half-jokes about eating stock’s depin. Almost unconsciously, each of the dragons began to relax into what had become (much to all of their surprise) a comfortable routine.[/columns] [columns]Their little clan (for a clan it was, even in spite of all their objections) had set up a temporary base on the edge of the Tangled Wood, just shielded from the Sunbeam Ruins and their merciless glow. It wasn’t far from where Mercury and Domino had first met, though both were trying valiantly to avoid getting in any way emotional. It was far from a perfect home; the Serthis attacked regularly, and the group struggled to defend itself, even with Traitor's muscle and Rainscale's trickery on their side. It was after just such a battle, after which all five dragons had tried and failed to take on a group of Serthis mages on their own turf, that Basileia appeared.[/columns] [columns][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/avatars/737480/73747962.png?mtime=ZAAAAAAAAAA.png[/img][nextcol]A Guardian, she was bigger than all of them, and in spite of her youth she spoke with the melancholy gravity of one who has much to regret. It didn’t take her long to see what had happened-- the injured dragons, the remains of their small lair-- and she seemed to make up her mind at once. She guided them to a deep pit bored into a cliffside near the Daylight Sanctum, used her great height to help Mercury and stock place nests high in the rock face and her powerful claws to gouge a deep dark cave for Domino into the stone. They were settled in before they could even think to argue, or question her motives; even if they could have, though, none of them would have dared. Though none of them even suspected they might be her Charge, they could see in her eyes and hear in her soft, careful voice that she meant them no harm. [/columns] [columns]They’d all hoped, for different reasons, that Basileia might become an ally or even a friend to their little group; beyond her size and strength, she had considerable skill in battle, and though she spoke only seldom, when she did it was with an uncanny grace and wisdom. And-- unusually, for a Guardian-- she seemed to lack a clan, or a Charge. Yet they remained separate, for the most part. Indeed, though they shared a lair, they saw her little; she disappeared much of the time, making herself known only to make sure they were fed and to fight off the area’s few threats. Of course Domino-- stealthy thanks to years in the Tangled Wood, and suspicious-minded thanks to Mercury’s influence-- had to find out what Basileia was up to. No one, he thought, could be so kind for no reason; she had to be doing something unsavory when she wasn’t with them. Whatever it was, he knew Mercury would want in. She was surprisingly quick-moving for her size, but Domino tracked her with care. Much to his surprise, he found that she wasn’t leaving the lair at all; rather, she went deep into the underground depths of the cave, only stopping once the daylight was nothing but a pinprick in a vast expanse of black. She scratched at the cave floor with her claws-- if Domino didn’t know better, he’d have thought she was nervous-- and called out, quietly. “Spex?” [i]Spex?[/i] Nothing seemed to happen, for a long few moments, except the groaning and grinding of stone deep below the ground. But then-- Domino almost missed it-- one golden eye opened far in the distance. “You don’t need to come every day, you know.” The voice could easily be mistaken for a rockfall, it was so grating and hoarse. Another eye opened, and then another; their owner got to his feet and moved towards Basileia, shaking his head. “I wish you wouldn’t.” She shook her head, leaning down to nudge the smaller dragon’s-- [i]Spex’s[/i]?-- head with her snout. “I have to.” “I never will understand you creatures.” Spex snorted and shook his head; Domino could see a few strands of frizzy, damaged green mane falling down into one of his many, many eyes. “I could live forever, and I still wouldn’t.” “You don’t need to understand everything.” Domino knew he shouldn’t be seeing this. There was so much in their voices he couldn’t parse-- so much history, so many complex feelings. He turned to leave-- but so perturbed was he by this strange encounter that he stumbled over a pebble. Basileia and Spex both honed in on the noise in a fraction of an instant. Basileia lunged at him, claws out, dishing him a good Scratch before she realized who he was. “What are you doing here?” she demanded, snagging him around the neck with one claw. “How did you find this place? Did you follow me?” Too frightened to speak-- he’d been reckless, certainly, but he’d never been stupid enough to threaten a Guardian’s charge in front of her-- Domino gave a minute, tense nod. “I’m-- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean--” “You followed her by accident, then?” The creaking voice seemed almost amused; Domino wondered, terrified, whether this stranger would help him or bring more punishment down on his head. He shook, thinking about it. Surely even an angry Guardian wouldn’t eat a dragon, right? A long whiskered snout appeared from under Basileia’s wing; four golden eyes flickered at him, clearly entertained. Domino’s bewilderment-- a [i]Pearlcatcher[/i], in this dark and low-lying place?-- was only outweighed by his fear; up close he could see the patches and seams holding the dragon’s skin together, the patches of burned scales and pale, sickly flesh, the entirely-too-many eyes. What had happened to this Spex? What was Basileia protecting him from? “Put him down, unless you want the fright to kill him,” the Pearlcatcher said, leaning on the Guardian’s flank. “He’s no threat to anyone.” Basileia looked down at the little dragon, clearly weighing her options, and then-- miraculously-- lowered Domino slowly, slowly to the ground. “Leave this place,” she intoned, backing him towards the way they’d come. “Do not return. He has nothing you could want.” ~ He had a lot of things they could want, it turned out. “What I wouldn’t give to find out what happened,” Traitor mused, lying on his back with his eyes closed. “I’ve seen dragons with stitches before, but what you’re describing sounds more like a patchwork quilt.” “I’ve never seen any dragon with more than four eyes,” Rainscale added. “Mercury probably wishes he had that. Then he could see behind him.” Mercury’s crests twitched irritably, but even he couldn’t really argue with that. “You’re all missing the point,” he said instead. “This isn’t just interesting, it’s an opportunity.” “Leave it alone, boss.” Domino shivered-- he could still feel those strong claws on his neck if he closed his eyes. “It’s not worth it.” “It could be.” Mercury coiled his tail, steepling his claws. “Traitor, do you think you’d pay treasure to find out what happened to this dragon?” Traitor snorted. “If I had any, sure, but we’ve been skint for--” “Exactly. If you would, so would other dragons.” Mercury squinted. “We just have to find a way to get them here and they’ll pay through the snout for a look at this dragon.” “I doubt our host would take kindly to the idea, considering her reaction to Domino’s intrusion.” stock picked a grub off the cave floor and eyed it thoughtfully. “It’s a risky scheme, to be sure. We would have to find a way to convince her of its worth, and treasure is unlikely to change her mind.” “You can distract her,” Mercury said dismissively, flapping one wing. “You’re all focusing on the little picture. This is an opportunity for profit-- profit we desperately need. And it’s not like there’s any competition for something like this, so the market is ours to corner.” “The market for what?” Domino wanted to know. He’d been skeptical-- still was-- but the planner in him was beginning to outweigh his ethical concerns. “I mean, what are we selling, here? Are we offering to exhibit him? Or do we make up a story about him? Or--” “All of that, all of that. Whatever we can get paid for. Sneak peeks, patter, [i]souvenirs[/i] for all I care. We get the Guardian out of the way, and then we improvise.” ~~ Getting the Guardian out of the way was easier said than done, of course. Rainscale tried distracting pyrotechnics-- stock tried charming her-- Mirror tried an alchemical concoction of his own devising. None of it seemed to work, and their grunts were falling faster than normal. Anyone who even got close to Spex with suspect motives was slain without even a chance to defend themselves. Mercury and Domino reached their wits’ end trying to protect their clan and get the scheme off the ground; it just had to be workable somehow, with the right combination of secrecy and battle stones. They spent long nights working out profit margins, coming up with new tall tales, scouting out safer and more secret routes through the caves-- and, eventually, their hard work began to pay off...[/columns]
THE BACKSTORY
Mercury and Domino met when Domino was just out of hatchlinghood. The young dragon had been separated from his mother and, in his wanderings, reached the edge of the Tangled Wood. Mercury had been wandering, too; exiled from the Shifting Expanse for embezzlement, insider trading, and criminal mischief, he had been living on his wits trying to get as far from the desert as possible. He'd made his way through the outskirts of the Sunbeam Ruins without picking up any hangers-on, but Domino's sheer terror and desperation made him take pity for once. 71795133.png?mtime=ZYZu-CyrAWg.png
Or maybe he just saw the potential for a good lackey.

70810823.png?mtime=ZYZvoLcAzJw.png Though they had a rocky start, Domino's mischievous, fickle Shadow nature and Mercury's ruthless Lightning ambition have since made them the ideal criminal duo. Though they were very different, they communicated with each other well; Faes and Bogsneaks share their expressive crests, so Domino had less trouble understanding Mercury than another dragon of another breed might. Domino adopted a number of Mercury's mannerisms over time, as well, adapting almost unconsciously. Though Mercury wasn't above manipulating Domino at times, their long partnership made him attached; he could exploit Domino's good nature for his own gain and feel no qualms about it, but Stormcatcher forbid anyone else should try.
They didn't know where stock had come from. Or, rather, they did-- the name said enough-- but they preferred not to talk about it. His past wasn't important. It didn't matter why he was so attached to his depin protector, or where he had learned to fake the social mores and expressions of other dragons so well. It didn’t matter that he watched them all with wide, inky eyes, as though cataloguing each expression and each sound in a mental hoard. They didn't need to ask too many questions; they accepted that they couldn’t know everything. In a life like theirs, everyone had secrets. Easier to accept stock for who he was now-- and be grateful for the con-artistry he brought with him-- than to pick him apart for who they thought he should be. 73623286.png?mtime=ZYZvoTjUqAA.png

Even so, Mercury worried about stock. He would never admit it-- he could hardly even explain it to himself-- but he was unsettled. It just wasn’t normal for a Fae to behave that way. He didn't seem to understand the subtleties of Mercury's crest movements; there were tones in his voice Mercury didn't understand. It made him uncomfortable; though he was seldom outright unkind, he avoided the strange Fae when he could.

Domino, on the other hand, was immediately delighted to have a new playmate. Though Bogsneaks are naturally solitary creatures, Domino's innate magic came from the Shadowbinder, and he loved to play. Mercury had little patience with this, but stock-- a fellow Shadow dragon, and one with lots of experience in proper dragon society-- knew all sorts of games. Domino, who'd spent most of his life on the margins with Mercury, relished what few stories he could bring himself to tell; it was primarily due to Domino's friendship that stock became attached to their little group.

73334458.png?mtime=ZYZvn7ve0iw.png Rainscale, on the other hand, attached herself. Gregarious and witty, she fit right in with the group's shadowy majority, bringing a bright and cheerful influence to counterbalance Domino's trickiness and stock's carefully polished facade. Though she was born in the Tangled Wood, she retained her loyalty to the Flamecaller; as the group's pyrotechnics consultant, she used fire, explosions, and brilliant illusions to disguise their criminal activities and secure entry to hidden and forbidden places. (She also used them for pranks; she was still from the Shadow flight, after all.)
Rainscale, stock, and Domino made an odd but effective trio; their shared elemental affiliation helped to smooth over their other differences, making complements out of what might have been conflicts. Rainscale and stock, in particular, bonded closely; Rainscale’s natural effervescence allowed stock to give up the reins of conversation, relaxing (even if just for a moment) back into long-forgotten Fae routines of expression, whereas stock’s quietude made him the perfect audience for Rainscale’s rambling and antics.

At first, this left Mercury the odd one out; a hardworking and driven Lightning dragon, without the same affiliation for games and mischief, he had trouble understanding their antics. It didn't help that as the three spent more time together, it became harder and harder to access Domino without one or the other of them tagging along. He didn't miss the kid-- he didn't!-- but... He tried to dismiss his own feelings on the subject-- but they persisted, regardless of whether or not he acknowledged them.

Domino, too, however, was beginning to buckle under the weight of their additional companions. Bogsneaks are not social animals by nature; stock and Rainscale were both gregarious, extroverted types who needed much from their friendship. His exhaustion began to affect his work; he found himself dropping responsibilities and losing track of their criminal enterprises in his efforts to keep up with the group and retain their affections. The group's finances began to suffer.

Both these problems were solved by the sudden arrival of Traitor. Spacey, inquisitive, downright weird-- a typical Arcanite-- Traitor appeared as though from nowhere, trampling a game of wyrms-and-ladders in pursuit of what he claimed was a new and never-before-seen kind of mith. He was erratic, unpredictable, and deeply inconvenient, but they couldn't seem to get rid of him; everywhere they went, there he was; whether he was squinting at distant stars or digging for new ores or working out strange and unhelpful alchemical formulas, the one constant was his disruption of their schemes; eventually, Mercury invited him to travel with them, hoping it would temper his disruptive effects. 73735060.png?mtime=ZYZtOBjS5HQ.png

Traitor instantly captured Rainscale and stock’s attentions, and they eagerly followed him in his various investigations and adventures, incorporating his discoveries into their games. In spite of his deeply suspicious name, he was inducted into the group with no pomp or ceremony; within days, it was as though he’d been with them all his life, trading a seemingly infinite reserve of stories and fun facts for Rainscale’s jokes and stock’s quiet listening ear.

Relieved suddenly of his social obligations, Domino returned to Mercury’s side, finally stepping up into the second-in-command role Mercury didn't even realize he'd been training him for, and the two of them began hatching their brilliant schemes once again. Traitor didn’t just add to the little group’s social dynamic-- he provided a valuable source of muscle, enabling the group to protect themselves from the many enemies they made, and his constant studies and explorations inspired many of Mercury’s new ventures. For all his drive and strategic brilliance, the Fae was lacking in imagination, and Traitor had that in spades.

The group had finally hit their stride, it seemed. Between the five of them, they had all their bases covered, and could get away with almost anything. They had never been (and would never be) rich, but at least for now they were getting by. They could feed themselves; they could buy clothes occasionally; Mercury stopped making ill-received half-jokes about eating stock’s depin. Almost unconsciously, each of the dragons began to relax into what had become (much to all of their surprise) a comfortable routine.
Their little clan (for a clan it was, even in spite of all their objections) had set up a temporary base on the edge of the Tangled Wood, just shielded from the Sunbeam Ruins and their merciless glow. It wasn’t far from where Mercury and Domino had first met, though both were trying valiantly to avoid getting in any way emotional. It was far from a perfect home; the Serthis attacked regularly, and the group struggled to defend itself, even with Traitor's muscle and Rainscale's trickery on their side. It was after just such a battle, after which all five dragons had tried and failed to take on a group of Serthis mages on their own turf, that Basileia appeared.
73747962.png?mtime=ZAAAAAAAAAA.png A Guardian, she was bigger than all of them, and in spite of her youth she spoke with the melancholy gravity of one who has much to regret. It didn’t take her long to see what had happened-- the injured dragons, the remains of their small lair-- and she seemed to make up her mind at once. She guided them to a deep pit bored into a cliffside near the Daylight Sanctum, used her great height to help Mercury and stock place nests high in the rock face and her powerful claws to gouge a deep dark cave for Domino into the stone. They were settled in before they could even think to argue, or question her motives; even if they could have, though, none of them would have dared. Though none of them even suspected they might be her Charge, they could see in her eyes and hear in her soft, careful voice that she meant them no harm.

They’d all hoped, for different reasons, that Basileia might become an ally or even a friend to their little group; beyond her size and strength, she had considerable skill in battle, and though she spoke only seldom, when she did it was with an uncanny grace and wisdom. And-- unusually, for a Guardian-- she seemed to lack a clan, or a Charge. Yet they remained separate, for the most part. Indeed, though they shared a lair, they saw her little; she disappeared much of the time, making herself known only to make sure they were fed and to fight off the area’s few threats.

Of course Domino-- stealthy thanks to years in the Tangled Wood, and suspicious-minded thanks to Mercury’s influence-- had to find out what Basileia was up to. No one, he thought, could be so kind for no reason; she had to be doing something unsavory when she wasn’t with them. Whatever it was, he knew Mercury would want in.

She was surprisingly quick-moving for her size, but Domino tracked her with care. Much to his surprise, he found that she wasn’t leaving the lair at all; rather, she went deep into the underground depths of the cave, only stopping once the daylight was nothing but a pinprick in a vast expanse of black. She scratched at the cave floor with her claws-- if Domino didn’t know better, he’d have thought she was nervous-- and called out, quietly. “Spex?”

Spex?

Nothing seemed to happen, for a long few moments, except the groaning and grinding of stone deep below the ground. But then-- Domino almost missed it-- one golden eye opened far in the distance.

“You don’t need to come every day, you know.” The voice could easily be mistaken for a rockfall, it was so grating and hoarse. Another eye opened, and then another; their owner got to his feet and moved towards Basileia, shaking his head. “I wish you wouldn’t.”

She shook her head, leaning down to nudge the smaller dragon’s-- Spex’s?-- head with her snout. “I have to.”
“I never will understand you creatures.” Spex snorted and shook his head; Domino could see a few strands of frizzy, damaged green mane falling down into one of his many, many eyes. “I could live forever, and I still wouldn’t.”

“You don’t need to understand everything.”

Domino knew he shouldn’t be seeing this. There was so much in their voices he couldn’t parse-- so much history, so many complex feelings. He turned to leave-- but so perturbed was he by this strange encounter that he stumbled over a pebble.

Basileia and Spex both honed in on the noise in a fraction of an instant. Basileia lunged at him, claws out, dishing him a good Scratch before she realized who he was. “What are you doing here?” she demanded, snagging him around the neck with one claw. “How did you find this place? Did you follow me?”

Too frightened to speak-- he’d been reckless, certainly, but he’d never been stupid enough to threaten a Guardian’s charge in front of her-- Domino gave a minute, tense nod. “I’m-- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean--”

“You followed her by accident, then?” The creaking voice seemed almost amused; Domino wondered, terrified, whether this stranger would help him or bring more punishment down on his head. He shook, thinking about it. Surely even an angry Guardian wouldn’t eat a dragon, right?

A long whiskered snout appeared from under Basileia’s wing; four golden eyes flickered at him, clearly entertained. Domino’s bewilderment-- a Pearlcatcher, in this dark and low-lying place?-- was only outweighed by his fear; up close he could see the patches and seams holding the dragon’s skin together, the patches of burned scales and pale, sickly flesh, the entirely-too-many eyes. What had happened to this Spex? What was Basileia protecting him from?

“Put him down, unless you want the fright to kill him,” the Pearlcatcher said, leaning on the Guardian’s flank. “He’s no threat to anyone.”

Basileia looked down at the little dragon, clearly weighing her options, and then-- miraculously-- lowered Domino slowly, slowly to the ground. “Leave this place,” she intoned, backing him towards the way they’d come. “Do not return. He has nothing you could want.”

~

He had a lot of things they could want, it turned out.

“What I wouldn’t give to find out what happened,” Traitor mused, lying on his back with his eyes closed. “I’ve seen dragons with stitches before, but what you’re describing sounds more like a patchwork quilt.”

“I’ve never seen any dragon with more than four eyes,” Rainscale added. “Mercury probably wishes he had that. Then he could see behind him.”

Mercury’s crests twitched irritably, but even he couldn’t really argue with that. “You’re all missing the point,” he said instead. “This isn’t just interesting, it’s an opportunity.”
“Leave it alone, boss.” Domino shivered-- he could still feel those strong claws on his neck if he closed his eyes. “It’s not worth it.”

“It could be.” Mercury coiled his tail, steepling his claws. “Traitor, do you think you’d pay treasure to find out what happened to this dragon?”

Traitor snorted. “If I had any, sure, but we’ve been skint for--”

“Exactly. If you would, so would other dragons.” Mercury squinted. “We just have to find a way to get them here and they’ll pay through the snout for a look at this dragon.”

“I doubt our host would take kindly to the idea, considering her reaction to Domino’s intrusion.” stock picked a grub off the cave floor and eyed it thoughtfully. “It’s a risky scheme, to be sure. We would have to find a way to convince her of its worth, and treasure is unlikely to change her mind.”

“You can distract her,” Mercury said dismissively, flapping one wing. “You’re all focusing on the little picture. This is an opportunity for profit-- profit we desperately need. And it’s not like there’s any competition for something like this, so the market is ours to corner.”

“The market for what?” Domino wanted to know. He’d been skeptical-- still was-- but the planner in him was beginning to outweigh his ethical concerns. “I mean, what are we selling, here? Are we offering to exhibit him? Or do we make up a story about him? Or--”

“All of that, all of that. Whatever we can get paid for. Sneak peeks, patter, souvenirs for all I care. We get the Guardian out of the way, and then we improvise.”

~~

Getting the Guardian out of the way was easier said than done, of course. Rainscale tried distracting pyrotechnics-- stock tried charming her-- Mirror tried an alchemical concoction of his own devising. None of it seemed to work, and their grunts were falling faster than normal. Anyone who even got close to Spex with suspect motives was slain without even a chance to defend themselves. Mercury and Domino reached their wits’ end trying to protect their clan and get the scheme off the ground; it just had to be workable somehow, with the right combination of secrecy and battle stones. They spent long nights working out profit margins, coming up with new tall tales, scouting out safer and more secret routes through the caves-- and, eventually, their hard work began to pay off...
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 1[/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/737825/73782415_350.png?mtime=ZYZ3xF3PB1Q.png[/img] [/center] [center][b][u][size=4]11: Test the Newbies[/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] "Almond?" Mercury repeated, crest waving skeptically. "Like the nut?" The colorful Spiral nodded. "Almond like the nut. [i]I'm[/i] not a nut, though." Privately, Domino thought she was a little quick to say so. His suspicions were borne out when her suggestion for dealing with Basileia involved insulting Spex to her face and then bolting into the Wood. The lithe, agile dragon had probably assumed she'd be fast enough to evade the Guardian's claws and teeth, but even a dragon twice her level wouldn't stand a chance. She'd taken Rainscale down with her, tragically enough. The Coatl had been engineering a rockfall in one of the underground tunnels, hoping to force Basileia to take the long way around the next day. She was trampled in the chase. The group took it hard, all training to protect themselves against such an eventuality in the future, but none harder than stock; the little Fae, Rainscale's best friend, was hardly seen outside his nest for weeks after that. "Does it say something about us that our criminal enterprise is run by a group of males?" Traitor wondered. "All our female colleagues are dead." Mercury's eyes widened, impossibly, and he hissed. "Stop that talk or you'll bring the EEOC down on our heads!"
DAY 1
73782415_350.png?mtime=ZYZ3xF3PB1Q.png
11: Test the Newbies
"Almond?" Mercury repeated, crest waving skeptically. "Like the nut?"

The colorful Spiral nodded. "Almond like the nut. I'm not a nut, though."

Privately, Domino thought she was a little quick to say so. His suspicions were borne out when her suggestion for dealing with Basileia involved insulting Spex to her face and then bolting into the Wood. The lithe, agile dragon had probably assumed she'd be fast enough to evade the Guardian's claws and teeth, but even a dragon twice her level wouldn't stand a chance.

She'd taken Rainscale down with her, tragically enough. The Coatl had been engineering a rockfall in one of the underground tunnels, hoping to force Basileia to take the long way around the next day. She was trampled in the chase. The group took it hard, all training to protect themselves against such an eventuality in the future, but none harder than stock; the little Fae, Rainscale's best friend, was hardly seen outside his nest for weeks after that.

"Does it say something about us that our criminal enterprise is run by a group of males?" Traitor wondered. "All our female colleagues are dead."

Mercury's eyes widened, impossibly, and he hissed. "Stop that talk or you'll bring the EEOC down on our heads!"
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 2[/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/737638/73763714_350.png?mtime=ZYZyfl-BDtw.png[/img] [/center] [center][b][u][size=4]13: A Coup![/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] "Dead, you say?" Domino asked, scraping at a wooden Spex figurine with one claw. "Impossible. He was alive an hour ago." "N-no, sir, I swear." Grover twisted two hanks of fur in his claws. "I-- I brought his body back, but I didn't think you'd--" "No, you're right, I think not." Domino bowed his head, crests lowered in remembrance. "I-- excuse me a moment. I don't mean to--" "Of course!" Grover shook his head, scrambling backward into a little ball. "He was your friend, I know. You have every right to be--" he tripped over his words, a little, at the sight of one angry purple eyeball. "Er. Overcome." Domino swallowed, shook his head. "No, no, I'm-- I'll be all right. I have to be. For them." He gazed out at the remaining members of their little clan, eyes misting over, before retreating into his cave. "Masterful, Grover, masterful. They fell for it hook, line, and sinker. You weren't kidding when you said your services were discreet." Grover said nothing in response, raising one furry eyebrow. "Of course, of course. Your kind wouldn't kid. Listen, my friend, how much would it cost to keep you on retainer? You may be useful down the line, if any of them start getting ideas." "You know my prices." Grover ran his claws idly through his mane. "I take gems only, none of your treasure. And payment had better be prompt." "It will, of course, it will. Everything is in order. Mark my words, Grover, you and I are going to go far." Domino paused, glancing at what remained of Mercury's hoard. "He'd-- he'd be proud, once he finished cursing about it."
DAY 2
73763714_350.png?mtime=ZYZyfl-BDtw.png
13: A Coup!
"Dead, you say?" Domino asked, scraping at a wooden Spex figurine with one claw. "Impossible. He was alive an hour ago."

"N-no, sir, I swear." Grover twisted two hanks of fur in his claws. "I-- I brought his body back, but I didn't think you'd--"

"No, you're right, I think not." Domino bowed his head, crests lowered in remembrance. "I-- excuse me a moment. I don't mean to--"

"Of course!" Grover shook his head, scrambling backward into a little ball. "He was your friend, I know. You have every right to be--" he tripped over his words, a little, at the sight of one angry purple eyeball. "Er. Overcome."

Domino swallowed, shook his head. "No, no, I'm-- I'll be all right. I have to be. For them." He gazed out at the remaining members of their little clan, eyes misting over, before retreating into his cave.

"Masterful, Grover, masterful. They fell for it hook, line, and sinker. You weren't kidding when you said your services were discreet."

Grover said nothing in response, raising one furry eyebrow.

"Of course, of course. Your kind wouldn't kid. Listen, my friend, how much would it cost to keep you on retainer? You may be useful down the line, if any of them start getting ideas."

"You know my prices." Grover ran his claws idly through his mane. "I take gems only, none of your treasure. And payment had better be prompt."

"It will, of course, it will. Everything is in order. Mark my words, Grover, you and I are going to go far." Domino paused, glancing at what remained of Mercury's hoard. "He'd-- he'd be proud, once he finished cursing about it."
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 3[/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/737011/73701017_350.png?mtime=ZYZirGClRag.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/737705/73770447_350.png?mtime=ZYZ3xBNDmTA.png[/img] [/center] [center][b][u][size=4]3: Romance in the Air[/size][/u][/b][/center] [center] A cough behind her startled Parasol out of her concentration. She cursed as the glass she'd been mixing alchemical reagents in toppled to the ground. "Do you [i]mind[/i]?!" she demanded, whipping around. "I'm [i]trying[/i] to-- oh. It's you." How a bright red Gaoler eighteen feet long could manage to [i]sneak[/i] was quite beyond Parasol, but somehow she could never see him coming. The Spiral shook her head, throwing up her claws. "Listen, you need to stop coming around here. She's too good for some low-level grunt like you." Low-level grunt! If Grover hadn't been such a professional, he might have come out with Domino's plot right then and there. He shook his head instead, letting out a heavy sigh. "I can't get her out of my head," he said, first glancing around to make sure nobody would see him showing an emotion. (Embarrassing!) "Her voice, her wings, her--" "Yeah, yeah. I don't need to hear any more. Listen, when they told me I could find work out here they didn't tell me I'd be working on my best friend's love life." Parasol closed her eyes and rubbed at them with her claws. "Listen, you know those, uh, pebble silkworms? The ones that kinda taste like rocks?" Grover nodded, eyes wide. "She loves those. Gather her a stack of pebble silkworms and I'm sure she'll give you a shot."
DAY 3
73701017_350.png?mtime=ZYZirGClRag.png 73770447_350.png?mtime=ZYZ3xBNDmTA.png
3: Romance in the Air
A cough behind her startled Parasol out of her concentration. She cursed as the glass she'd been mixing alchemical reagents in toppled to the ground. "Do you mind?!" she demanded, whipping around. "I'm trying to-- oh. It's you."

How a bright red Gaoler eighteen feet long could manage to sneak was quite beyond Parasol, but somehow she could never see him coming. The Spiral shook her head, throwing up her claws. "Listen, you need to stop coming around here. She's too good for some low-level grunt like you."

Low-level grunt! If Grover hadn't been such a professional, he might have come out with Domino's plot right then and there. He shook his head instead, letting out a heavy sigh. "I can't get her out of my head," he said, first glancing around to make sure nobody would see him showing an emotion. (Embarrassing!) "Her voice, her wings, her--"

"Yeah, yeah. I don't need to hear any more. Listen, when they told me I could find work out here they didn't tell me I'd be working on my best friend's love life." Parasol closed her eyes and rubbed at them with her claws. "Listen, you know those, uh, pebble silkworms? The ones that kinda taste like rocks?"

Grover nodded, eyes wide.

"She loves those. Gather her a stack of pebble silkworms and I'm sure she'll give you a shot."
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 4[/size][/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/726881/72688002_350.png?mtime=ZYVv39olseQ.png[/img] [b][u][size=4]6: Crimes Time![/size][/u][/b] "We've been going through leaders pretty quickly ever since you came around," Traitor said idly, flipping a coin over his knuckles and gazing into the fire. "That's kind of odd." "What are you--" "Please, relax." stock laid a hand on Grover's shoulder. "He genuinely does merely think it odd. No one here wishes to accuse anyone. I have no intention of punishing anyone for Domino's tragic death." Grover let himself relax slightly. The new leader, this stock character, was a complete pushover; it'd be easy to bump him off and find a way to take over. "At least until we've conducted a proper investigation. On Traitor's recommendation, I've brought in a professional-- Heartkey, please, introduce yourself." The pink Gaoler waved, smiling at each of the dragons in turn. "Hi, all. As your boss just said, my name's Heartkey. I'm a management consultant. I'll be working with you over the next few weeks to--" his pink eyes widened suddenly and he curled in on himself, coughing harshly until Parasol gave him a whack on the back of the neck. "Thank you, miss. As I was saying, over the next few weeks we'll work on identifying a reason for your high leadership turnover..." "How did you find me?!" Grover demanded through gritted teeth. "I gave you the slip back in Dragonhome." "I [i]didn't[/i]. The case has been cold, I was reassigned. But they'll give me my old job back when I take you--" "[i]No[/i]!" Grover froze, glancing back to the rest of the clan-- at Relan, especially. As usual, though, they were paying no attention. "I mean-- no. You can't take me in without blowing your cover. There's no reinforcements out here. They find out you're a cop, they'll feed you to the Guardian, no question." Heartkey growled and shook his head, but Grover was right. There was nothing he could do except bide his time. "Fine," he said, eventually, "but mark my words. You try to leave, and I will bring hell down on that stupid blue mane of yours. Understand me?"
DAY 4

72688002_350.png?mtime=ZYVv39olseQ.png

6: Crimes Time!

"We've been going through leaders pretty quickly ever since you came around," Traitor said idly, flipping a coin over his knuckles and gazing into the fire. "That's kind of odd."

"What are you--"

"Please, relax." stock laid a hand on Grover's shoulder. "He genuinely does merely think it odd. No one here wishes to accuse anyone. I have no intention of punishing anyone for Domino's tragic death."

Grover let himself relax slightly. The new leader, this stock character, was a complete pushover; it'd be easy to bump him off and find a way to take over.

"At least until we've conducted a proper investigation. On Traitor's recommendation, I've brought in a professional-- Heartkey, please, introduce yourself."

The pink Gaoler waved, smiling at each of the dragons in turn. "Hi, all. As your boss just said, my name's Heartkey. I'm a management consultant. I'll be working with you over the next few weeks to--" his pink eyes widened suddenly and he curled in on himself, coughing harshly until Parasol gave him a whack on the back of the neck. "Thank you, miss. As I was saying, over the next few weeks we'll work on identifying a reason for your high leadership turnover..."

"How did you find me?!" Grover demanded through gritted teeth. "I gave you the slip back in Dragonhome."

"I didn't. The case has been cold, I was reassigned. But they'll give me my old job back when I take you--"

"No!" Grover froze, glancing back to the rest of the clan-- at Relan, especially. As usual, though, they were paying no attention. "I mean-- no. You can't take me in without blowing your cover. There's no reinforcements out here. They find out you're a cop, they'll feed you to the Guardian, no question."

Heartkey growled and shook his head, but Grover was right. There was nothing he could do except bide his time. "Fine," he said, eventually, "but mark my words. You try to leave, and I will bring hell down on that stupid blue mane of yours. Understand me?"
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 5[/size][/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/737011/73701015_350.png?mtime=ZYZirGEHcQQ.png[/img] [b][u][size=4]1: Big Mistake[/size][/u][/b] "You arrived too late, you numbskull! He's dead! There's only two of these idiots left, now, and I'm pretty sure they're just fall guys!" "I-- look, it's not my fault, all right? I have a little wingspan." "You're gonna have to toughen up if you want to last longer than a week on the force, pretty boy," the elder detective grumbled, turning away and brushing a long strand of pink hair out of his eyes. "What'd you call yourself? Oddball?" Oddball nodded eagerly. "Oddball! 'Cause of-- you know-- the colors." "Stupid name." Heartkey sighed. "I guess it's down to the wire for us and for them, huh? I tell you something, you better be worth the bugs you eat." "What are we going to [i]do[/i], stock? At this rate we'll all be eaten long before we have a chance to turn a profit. That Basileia seemed so kind when I first met her," Parasol agonized. "I can't believe she would kill so many dragons just for trying to financially exploit the one thing she cares most about in the world." stock took a shuddering breath and shook his head. "We can't let our grief hold us back," he said. "We've lost fifteen of our colleagues in the last five days. This operation isn't going very successfully at all. But would they want us to give up?" Parasol sniffled. "Probably." "Exactly. So we're going to keep persevering until-- sorry, did you say [i]yes[/i]?"
DAY 5

73701015_350.png?mtime=ZYZirGEHcQQ.png

1: Big Mistake

"You arrived too late, you numbskull! He's dead! There's only two of these idiots left, now, and I'm pretty sure they're just fall guys!"

"I-- look, it's not my fault, all right? I have a little wingspan."

"You're gonna have to toughen up if you want to last longer than a week on the force, pretty boy," the elder detective grumbled, turning away and brushing a long strand of pink hair out of his eyes. "What'd you call yourself? Oddball?"

Oddball nodded eagerly. "Oddball! 'Cause of-- you know-- the colors."

"Stupid name." Heartkey sighed. "I guess it's down to the wire for us and for them, huh? I tell you something, you better be worth the bugs you eat."

"What are we going to do, stock? At this rate we'll all be eaten long before we have a chance to turn a profit. That Basileia seemed so kind when I first met her," Parasol agonized. "I can't believe she would kill so many dragons just for trying to financially exploit the one thing she cares most about in the world."

stock took a shuddering breath and shook his head. "We can't let our grief hold us back," he said. "We've lost fifteen of our colleagues in the last five days. This operation isn't going very successfully at all. But would they want us to give up?"

Parasol sniffled. "Probably."

"Exactly. So we're going to keep persevering until-- sorry, did you say yes?"
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 6[/size][/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/708920/70891938_350.png?mtime=ZYPZ0dTILsg.png[/img][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/710354/71035351_350.png?mtime=ZYP5ddij-ug.png[/img] [b][u][size=4]4/2: Hunting Trip: Treasure Hunt[/size][/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/trinket/1244.png[/img] "...I guess you're not the worst to hunt with," Heartkey conceded. "Here, kid. Hang onto this." "Really?" Parasol looped over herself in excitement, grabbing at the pack. "I can keep it?" "Yeah. Matches your colors, and all." Heartkey found himself very uncomfortable. Parasol was a criminal, first and foremost; he should be working on getting her into custody, not getting her gifts. But it was difficult to be with these dragons day in and day out without forming attachments. "'Sides, it would just go into stock's vault for the business, anyway, and it's pretty obvious where that's headed." Parasol tipped her head. "Where's it going?" "Straight into the ground." Heartkey snorted. "Take my advice, kid, get out while you can. Take those two new idiots with you." He shook his head, flipped his hair over her shoulder-- showered Parasol with flower petals-- and walked away, leaving the Spiral to watch his retreating back with a bewildered frown. "He's wrong," stock assured her, sidling up next to her to rest a claw comfortingly on her head. "Things are looking up, Parasol. We had a good day today. No one got eaten." She shook her head, shrugging off stock's touch. "I don't know." "What don't you know?" "I just--" she sighed, looped over herself again, and started towards her burrow. "I don't know."
DAY 6

70891938_350.png?mtime=ZYPZ0dTILsg.png71035351_350.png?mtime=ZYP5ddij-ug.png

4/2: Hunting Trip: Treasure Hunt

1244.png

"...I guess you're not the worst to hunt with," Heartkey conceded. "Here, kid. Hang onto this."

"Really?" Parasol looped over herself in excitement, grabbing at the pack. "I can keep it?"

"Yeah. Matches your colors, and all." Heartkey found himself very uncomfortable. Parasol was a criminal, first and foremost; he should be working on getting her into custody, not getting her gifts. But it was difficult to be with these dragons day in and day out without forming attachments. "'Sides, it would just go into stock's vault for the business, anyway, and it's pretty obvious where that's headed."

Parasol tipped her head. "Where's it going?"

"Straight into the ground." Heartkey snorted. "Take my advice, kid, get out while you can. Take those two new idiots with you." He shook his head, flipped his hair over her shoulder-- showered Parasol with flower petals-- and walked away, leaving the Spiral to watch his retreating back with a bewildered frown.

"He's wrong," stock assured her, sidling up next to her to rest a claw comfortingly on her head. "Things are looking up, Parasol. We had a good day today. No one got eaten."

She shook her head, shrugging off stock's touch. "I don't know."

"What don't you know?"

"I just--" she sighed, looped over herself again, and started towards her burrow. "I don't know."
[center][b][u][size=5]DAY 7[/size][/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/738087/73808604_350.png?mtime=ZYZ9CmS1LuA.png[/img] [b][u][size=4]18: Rich Tastes[/size][/u][/b] "You seen the new guy?" Heartkey glanced up at Parasol. "Crazy, right?" "Yeah, I think he's some kind of tech wizard. You know Ridgebacks, all industrious like their daddy," Oddball opined. "Doesn't help that he's a pink-eye. Probably build an eldritch horror in your computer system." "He's only here to digitize our accounts," stock said, in his most conciliatory tone. "There won't be any eldritch horrors." The sky darkened; all the dragons looked up nervously for a moment or two before Parasol finally broke the silence. "I didn't see any Ridgeback. I saw the rich girl come in." "Yeah, yeah. Raveller or Rivalry or something," Heartkey said, pointing at Parasol and nodding. "Thinks she's better than us just 'cause her colors are all matchy-match." "Aren't you--" "Shut up, XYY doesn't count."
DAY 7

73808604_350.png?mtime=ZYZ9CmS1LuA.png

18: Rich Tastes

"You seen the new guy?" Heartkey glanced up at Parasol. "Crazy, right?"

"Yeah, I think he's some kind of tech wizard. You know Ridgebacks, all industrious like their daddy," Oddball opined. "Doesn't help that he's a pink-eye. Probably build an eldritch horror in your computer system."

"He's only here to digitize our accounts," stock said, in his most conciliatory tone. "There won't be any eldritch horrors."

The sky darkened; all the dragons looked up nervously for a moment or two before Parasol finally broke the silence. "I didn't see any Ridgeback. I saw the rich girl come in."

"Yeah, yeah. Raveller or Rivalry or something," Heartkey said, pointing at Parasol and nodding. "Thinks she's better than us just 'cause her colors are all matchy-match."

"Aren't you--"

"Shut up, XYY doesn't count."
1 2 3 4