Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Another way to get festival skins
So, I've seen some discussions about the extra festival skins, and the concerns raised about the increased costs of adquiring all the skins. Honestly, I can understand both sides of the discussion, and I think it should still be debated, but in the meanwhile I wanted to propose something that could somewhat reduce the problem.

Nowadays, the only way to get festival skin is either paying treasure, or try to grind for chests in Coli, but that has the unfortunate side effect of being random (not involving Baldwin in this discussion). So, I think there should be an item that could be traded for whatever skin you want. Could be, I don't know, a Joxar Doll, or Joxar's Paper Crown, anything.

Now, mechanics. I think this item should be a coli drop with a similar drop rate to the festival chests and be a possible extra item in the Spare Crate. They really shouldn't be common enough you could get all the fest skins exclusively with them, but just alleviate the burden of costs (and of the cruelty of the RNG) so you can manage to get the rest of the skins you want with the traditional methods. Also, they should be only available during fests and be universal, so if you are not fond of a flights asthetic, you can save your Crowns for other festivals.

I can think of a few cons. Fest skins are a important treasure sink for the site, so the Crowns (placeholder name) can't really be very common without interfering with that, so it could be just slapping a band aid on the problem. It also won't help people who don't have the time or patience to grind. And while it will create a market, it will be one with a price cap, so it can't get abusive (maybe not a con after all?).

I'm not in depth with some of the game mechanics, so feel free to let me know if I suggested something silly
So, I've seen some discussions about the extra festival skins, and the concerns raised about the increased costs of adquiring all the skins. Honestly, I can understand both sides of the discussion, and I think it should still be debated, but in the meanwhile I wanted to propose something that could somewhat reduce the problem.

Nowadays, the only way to get festival skin is either paying treasure, or try to grind for chests in Coli, but that has the unfortunate side effect of being random (not involving Baldwin in this discussion). So, I think there should be an item that could be traded for whatever skin you want. Could be, I don't know, a Joxar Doll, or Joxar's Paper Crown, anything.

Now, mechanics. I think this item should be a coli drop with a similar drop rate to the festival chests and be a possible extra item in the Spare Crate. They really shouldn't be common enough you could get all the fest skins exclusively with them, but just alleviate the burden of costs (and of the cruelty of the RNG) so you can manage to get the rest of the skins you want with the traditional methods. Also, they should be only available during fests and be universal, so if you are not fond of a flights asthetic, you can save your Crowns for other festivals.

I can think of a few cons. Fest skins are a important treasure sink for the site, so the Crowns (placeholder name) can't really be very common without interfering with that, so it could be just slapping a band aid on the problem. It also won't help people who don't have the time or patience to grind. And while it will create a market, it will be one with a price cap, so it can't get abusive (maybe not a con after all?).

I'm not in depth with some of the game mechanics, so feel free to let me know if I suggested something silly
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
I wouldn't be opposed to making them purchasable with festival currency. Or possibly even a currency made of a currency (like 50 pinecones=1 scrip, 50 scrips=1 skin), but then that runs the risk of setting a definite value for currency.

tbh, it all seems more complicated than just maybe upping the drop rate a bit. I swear it used to be higher.
I wouldn't be opposed to making them purchasable with festival currency. Or possibly even a currency made of a currency (like 50 pinecones=1 scrip, 50 scrips=1 skin), but then that runs the risk of setting a definite value for currency.

tbh, it all seems more complicated than just maybe upping the drop rate a bit. I swear it used to be higher.
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
1. Please, no more yet another currency item, there's so many of them and none of them are interchangeable that it's nearly unbearable. You want a fire fest item but cannot grind during it? Sucks to be you, go cry with your ten stacks of water fest currency. Want regular fest currency but are getting the "crowns" instead? Too bad!

2. This is not a new way to get skins, it's just coli with extra steps: instead of getting a full skin randomly, you get currency/items randomly that you can trade for a skin, so for anyone who already cannot grind coli nothing changes.

Not opposed to alternative ways, but very opposed to this particular alternative way.
1. Please, no more yet another currency item, there's so many of them and none of them are interchangeable that it's nearly unbearable. You want a fire fest item but cannot grind during it? Sucks to be you, go cry with your ten stacks of water fest currency. Want regular fest currency but are getting the "crowns" instead? Too bad!

2. This is not a new way to get skins, it's just coli with extra steps: instead of getting a full skin randomly, you get currency/items randomly that you can trade for a skin, so for anyone who already cannot grind coli nothing changes.

Not opposed to alternative ways, but very opposed to this particular alternative way.
JQQ3Fjt.png
[quote name="Trix" date="2024-05-21 06:11:51" ] I wouldn't be opposed to making them purchasable with festival currency. [/quote] Note that, according to user-collected statistics, some festival currency has a much higher Coliseum drop rate per hour. Like, [url= https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1388514#post_1388514]Nature[/url] and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2807092/23#post_54532148]Fire[/url] are ~200/hour - but [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2807092/21#post_54532017]Light[/url] and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2807092/1#post_41902296]Ice[/url] is less than 3/4 of that, ~140/hour. So, the skin buy-ability rate would vary significantly if festival currency was used*. What with the genes and an extra item, fest currency has gone more expensive as it is. [i]*As it is, the [b]item[/b] buy-ability varies a lot. Especially with Light, because Tablets are rare and light halos, say, are universally useful...[/i]
Trix wrote on 2024-05-21 06:11:51:
I wouldn't be opposed to making them purchasable with festival currency.
Note that, according to user-collected statistics, some festival currency has a much higher Coliseum drop rate per hour.

Like, Nature and Fire are ~200/hour - but Light and Ice is less than 3/4 of that, ~140/hour.

So, the skin buy-ability rate would vary significantly if festival currency was used*. What with the genes and an extra item, fest currency has gone more expensive as it is.

*As it is, the item buy-ability varies a lot. Especially with Light, because Tablets are rare and light halos, say, are universally useful...
rJWIOZM.pngs8WoqhB.pngtDeKDnH.pngrats_badge.png[url][/url]a714f2ca8457a983cc2010ae692f56d4-da33ieq.pngb2880355ddf0aa894dcb44a252fda40339df0df0.png
I feel like a good middle ground would be making skins available for multiple currencies? ex; can either purchase for treasure or festival currency or having more available via not rng means (baldwin, for example)

Since I like to hoard my treasure for geneing projects, but since I don't buy festival apparel a lot, I always have an overabundance of festival currency. But for some folks it may be the reverse.

Maybe some sort of skin "voucher" could drop from the coli'chests to help eliminate the rng side of it? Like the gene parchments for ancients. But idk, since I don't grind coli.
I feel like a good middle ground would be making skins available for multiple currencies? ex; can either purchase for treasure or festival currency or having more available via not rng means (baldwin, for example)

Since I like to hoard my treasure for geneing projects, but since I don't buy festival apparel a lot, I always have an overabundance of festival currency. But for some folks it may be the reverse.

Maybe some sort of skin "voucher" could drop from the coli'chests to help eliminate the rng side of it? Like the gene parchments for ancients. But idk, since I don't grind coli.
Digital Artist! Check out my website, Patreon!

header_image.png
No support on festival currency skins. Between familiars, genes, scenes, and apparel, festival currency already has its uses. Furthermore, the thing about festival currency is that you have a one week window to grind and make your purchases. Treasure doesn't have that sole window of opportunity: you can prep for a festival weeks in advance by doing your dailies, maxing out the Fairgrounds, exalting a few dragons, and whatnot.

I'm already stretched thin with festival currency, especially if I just so happen to be busier than usual during the last week of the month. I'd rather play a little each day to earn treasure instead of cramming all my time in the Coliseum during every festival because yet another item can only be purchased with Immaculate Tablets or All-Seeing Shrooms.
No support on festival currency skins. Between familiars, genes, scenes, and apparel, festival currency already has its uses. Furthermore, the thing about festival currency is that you have a one week window to grind and make your purchases. Treasure doesn't have that sole window of opportunity: you can prep for a festival weeks in advance by doing your dailies, maxing out the Fairgrounds, exalting a few dragons, and whatnot.

I'm already stretched thin with festival currency, especially if I just so happen to be busier than usual during the last week of the month. I'd rather play a little each day to earn treasure instead of cramming all my time in the Coliseum during every festival because yet another item can only be purchased with Immaculate Tablets or All-Seeing Shrooms.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
I'm on the fence about festival currency being used for skins, as in addition to the currency generally being funnelled into other fest items instead, fest skins are one of the site's more consistent treasure sinks, but maybe there could be a sort of middle ground, where just the skins that are festive flavor exclusive could be obtained for an either/or? I think coli droppable skins should remain treasure only - even if you actively coli grind you can still just be unlucky and never get the specific skin(s) you want to drop. So it should remain a stable treasure sink with those remaining treasure only if you buy them from the shop.
I'm on the fence about festival currency being used for skins, as in addition to the currency generally being funnelled into other fest items instead, fest skins are one of the site's more consistent treasure sinks, but maybe there could be a sort of middle ground, where just the skins that are festive flavor exclusive could be obtained for an either/or? I think coli droppable skins should remain treasure only - even if you actively coli grind you can still just be unlucky and never get the specific skin(s) you want to drop. So it should remain a stable treasure sink with those remaining treasure only if you buy them from the shop.
I'm fully on board with adding Fest currency as a way to get the skins. It's more common than usual, and a lot of users have stock piles they are sitting on. Fests aren't supposed to feel exhausting and they are starting to feel exhausting, even knowing I'm only going to buy one or two skins.

Additionally, this allows users to spend currency on bigger treasure sinks such as breed changes etc. Not everyone can prep for a week or two in advance to a festival.

I am fully against having another random coli drop currency because there's already such a huge focus on Coli during the fests and in general. If you can't Coli, you're still in the same spot as not being able to afford to buy the fest skins you want.
I'm fully on board with adding Fest currency as a way to get the skins. It's more common than usual, and a lot of users have stock piles they are sitting on. Fests aren't supposed to feel exhausting and they are starting to feel exhausting, even knowing I'm only going to buy one or two skins.

Additionally, this allows users to spend currency on bigger treasure sinks such as breed changes etc. Not everyone can prep for a week or two in advance to a festival.

I am fully against having another random coli drop currency because there's already such a huge focus on Coli during the fests and in general. If you can't Coli, you're still in the same spot as not being able to afford to buy the fest skins you want.
Please don't quote me.
[quote name="BassetBites" date="2024-05-21 13:45:59" ] No support on festival currency skins. Between familiars, genes, scenes, and apparel, festival currency already has its uses. Furthermore, the thing about festival currency is that you have a one week window to grind and make your purchases. Treasure doesn't have that sole window of opportunity: you can prep for a festival weeks in advance by doing your dailies, maxing out the Fairgrounds, exalting a few dragons, and whatnot. I'm already stretched thin with festival currency, especially if I just so happen to be busier than usual during the last week of the month. I'd rather play a little each day to earn treasure instead of cramming all my time in the Coliseum during every festival because yet another item can only be purchased with Immaculate Tablets or All-Seeing Shrooms. [/quote] Exactly my thoughts, along with the fact that the only item you aren't inherently supposed to or expected to buy multiple copies of is the familiar. Everything else, of which there is a now increasing amount as they add back in a small apparel item alongside scenes, and genes which are getting new breeds with absolutely no say on whether they'll be converted to parchments or not, you are inherently expected to buy multiple copies of because they CAN be used across multiple dragons! Unlike familiars! And you have ZERO idea of how much you will want! Brewing casually and doing dailies was only just barely enough for this fest cycle. Before, I'd have plentiful left-overs but with increasing cosmetic items it's been rough and will only get more rough with this next cycle depending on how they handle things. If they add skins, it will not be fixing the issue of accessibility with skins - it will only be [i]moving the problem.[/i] Instead of being unable to afford them in treasure, I will be unable to afford them in fest currency. Now, luckily for me, I can grind coli. I hate it, I absolutely despise the coli and grinding fest currency takes literally forever, but I have the full ability to do it if I want those skins. I'm able to be a dedicated, full-time player. Most people aren't. It's a small minority of us who have that time - often those of us who have time to come argue on the forums like this probably. But I hear you; most people probably don't buy all the skins either, though it's probably more than we think just because there's a LOT of fomo at play with limited events like this through zero fault of their own. So at the end of the day, it probably isn't a huge issue and we'll live or whatever. I'd live, just be a lil mad for a while. However, the way I see it the fixes we need are adding more skins to drop from chests with an increased drop-rate, lowering the treasure prices maybe by about 5k, and I'm not at all against the OPTION to use fest currency OR treasure. People will always have varying amounts of both and having the option to use EITHER depending on what you have may be more helpful than just being restricted to one payment method. Baldwin is also a valid option imo but I understand brewing currency is important for folks. I do it plenty myself.
BassetBites wrote on 2024-05-21 13:45:59:

Exactly my thoughts, along with the fact that the only item you aren't inherently supposed to or expected to buy multiple copies of is the familiar. Everything else, of which there is a now increasing amount as they add back in a small apparel item alongside scenes, and genes which are getting new breeds with absolutely no say on whether they'll be converted to parchments or not, you are inherently expected to buy multiple copies of because they CAN be used across multiple dragons! Unlike familiars! And you have ZERO idea of how much you will want!
Brewing casually and doing dailies was only just barely enough for this fest cycle. Before, I'd have plentiful left-overs but with increasing cosmetic items it's been rough and will only get more rough with this next cycle depending on how they handle things. If they add skins, it will not be fixing the issue of accessibility with skins - it will only be moving the problem.

Instead of being unable to afford them in treasure, I will be unable to afford them in fest currency.

Now, luckily for me, I can grind coli. I hate it, I absolutely despise the coli and grinding fest currency takes literally forever, but I have the full ability to do it if I want those skins. I'm able to be a dedicated, full-time player.
Most people aren't. It's a small minority of us who have that time - often those of us who have time to come argue on the forums like this probably.

But I hear you; most people probably don't buy all the skins either, though it's probably more than we think just because there's a LOT of fomo at play with limited events like this through zero fault of their own. So at the end of the day, it probably isn't a huge issue and we'll live or whatever. I'd live, just be a lil mad for a while.

However, the way I see it the fixes we need are adding more skins to drop from chests with an increased drop-rate, lowering the treasure prices maybe by about 5k, and I'm not at all against the OPTION to use fest currency OR treasure. People will always have varying amounts of both and having the option to use EITHER depending on what you have may be more helpful than just being restricted to one payment method.
Baldwin is also a valid option imo but I understand brewing currency is important for folks. I do it plenty myself.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
No support on fest currency prices if it's the only way to get the skin. As I said in another thread about the skins, I can't coli and I barely have enough to get one copy of the stuff for the personal use, and I don't ever get scenes because I have to choose between them and extra copy of the apparel. I have to skip genes sometimes, too. If I need to shell fc out for skins too, I'd have to start buying it from AH as it'd be impossible to keep up, and honestly it's just easier to buy for treasure as it is now without additional steps.

If it's an option (like, you can pay t or fc, choose one) then I won't mind, of course. I know that people who coli a lot have an overflow of the currency and they shouldn't need to make an additional step of selling it via AH to get the stuff they need, either.

As for the item described in the OP, again, it's coli-exclusive thing, and coli grinding is hellish if you have joint problems/carpal etc. and it requires time so casual players are out, too. Though if it's also added to the gathering/other activities drop (like fc now), then it's ok.

Basically, I'm fine with any fix that doesn't require coli time, lol.
No support on fest currency prices if it's the only way to get the skin. As I said in another thread about the skins, I can't coli and I barely have enough to get one copy of the stuff for the personal use, and I don't ever get scenes because I have to choose between them and extra copy of the apparel. I have to skip genes sometimes, too. If I need to shell fc out for skins too, I'd have to start buying it from AH as it'd be impossible to keep up, and honestly it's just easier to buy for treasure as it is now without additional steps.

If it's an option (like, you can pay t or fc, choose one) then I won't mind, of course. I know that people who coli a lot have an overflow of the currency and they shouldn't need to make an additional step of selling it via AH to get the stuff they need, either.

As for the item described in the OP, again, it's coli-exclusive thing, and coli grinding is hellish if you have joint problems/carpal etc. and it requires time so casual players are out, too. Though if it's also added to the gathering/other activities drop (like fc now), then it's ok.

Basically, I'm fine with any fix that doesn't require coli time, lol.