Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Option to create polls for threads?
I feel like making a poll could streamline some threads where a player asks a question that falls into a multiple choice answer. For example; "Which of these apparel sets would look better on this dragon? 1 or 2?" And then players could vote on which one would be better without most of the thread being taken up by just "1" or "2 imo". Of course, there should still be the option to comment so that if someone is so inclined, they could say why they chose that option, it would just make getting community answers easier without having to manually count the different answers.
I feel like making a poll could streamline some threads where a player asks a question that falls into a multiple choice answer. For example; "Which of these apparel sets would look better on this dragon? 1 or 2?" And then players could vote on which one would be better without most of the thread being taken up by just "1" or "2 imo". Of course, there should still be the option to comment so that if someone is so inclined, they could say why they chose that option, it would just make getting community answers easier without having to manually count the different answers.
Support, this seems cool!
Support, this seems cool!
YMPbu9R.png
JupheON.png IrmwTXC.png
PLEASE
PLEASE
Looking for Dragons in these colors
Magenta/Magenta/Grapefruit for Aether, Light/Arcane/Lightning
At first blush, this seems like it'd cut down on discussion, but... maybe it's worth considering how much discussion was actually happening on extant poll-ish posts? I think that for polls to be useful, they would have to be enabled only in certain forums (maybe Dragon Share, FRD, General Discussion, etc.), because if they were in Suggestions in particular it'd kinda break the whole "talk about how an idea could work instead of flat support/no support" thing, yeah? And I can't see how they'd be very helpful in the Sales forums (though, I suppose like... "poll for which pair I should prioritize for my hatchery" type stuff could work... idk, I'm not a dev)

I do think that, if polls could be set up by people other than a thread's original poster, this could be pretty useful. I know that Light's dom team uses Google Forms for running polls, and I'm pretty sure that other dom teams do the same (that or like, Surveymonkey). There also tend to be multiple people on a team (otherwise it would be a Dom Person, ha!) and sometimes threads live on well past their original poster going inactive, hence "more than OP can make polls in a thread".

The FR devs are already pulling pinglists onsite, so I could see a case to be made that they'd do the same for polls eventually? Like, people aren't (to my knowledge) being harassed with polls, but it's still possibly a COPPA thing that a lot of surveys ask for an email so people don't take them twice.

So, I think overall that polls are likely to happen- it's just a matter of how. I think that for a poll feature to work, it needs to be able to specify both a time-frame (open forever or until X date/time, and if the latter, it should show how far away that is), and whether or not the answers are visible to anyone but the poster (or potentially "anyone but the poster before the poll closes", or "anyone on this list of usernames"). If it doesn't have these, you could end up with a situation similar to forums necro-posting, and just like, general confusion. I think it'd be nice if the polls could also specify whether changing your answer is allowed (sometimes that makes sense, sometimes you don't want a popularity contest).

Another "nice but not 100% a dealbreaker" would be "pinning" a poll- that is, if a poll is happening in a thread, there'd be a button to jump to it like there is for a dev post in a thread. I would suggest making the poll always show up on the front page of the thread, but I think that could get messy if there were multiple polls in a single thread at once (an example- pinging the flight to a Dom thread to ask when they'd like to push, and which of three themes they would prefer to see first, could be two polls at once that might both be fairly long)

(This has me thinking about how an onsite exalt form could work too- since that's the other thing Google Forms gets used for- and boy, it'd be so nice if the site could track dragons I exalted today/dragons sold to me today (and by whom) and let me give others that info... but that's not entirely germane to the topic at hand, heh)
At first blush, this seems like it'd cut down on discussion, but... maybe it's worth considering how much discussion was actually happening on extant poll-ish posts? I think that for polls to be useful, they would have to be enabled only in certain forums (maybe Dragon Share, FRD, General Discussion, etc.), because if they were in Suggestions in particular it'd kinda break the whole "talk about how an idea could work instead of flat support/no support" thing, yeah? And I can't see how they'd be very helpful in the Sales forums (though, I suppose like... "poll for which pair I should prioritize for my hatchery" type stuff could work... idk, I'm not a dev)

I do think that, if polls could be set up by people other than a thread's original poster, this could be pretty useful. I know that Light's dom team uses Google Forms for running polls, and I'm pretty sure that other dom teams do the same (that or like, Surveymonkey). There also tend to be multiple people on a team (otherwise it would be a Dom Person, ha!) and sometimes threads live on well past their original poster going inactive, hence "more than OP can make polls in a thread".

The FR devs are already pulling pinglists onsite, so I could see a case to be made that they'd do the same for polls eventually? Like, people aren't (to my knowledge) being harassed with polls, but it's still possibly a COPPA thing that a lot of surveys ask for an email so people don't take them twice.

So, I think overall that polls are likely to happen- it's just a matter of how. I think that for a poll feature to work, it needs to be able to specify both a time-frame (open forever or until X date/time, and if the latter, it should show how far away that is), and whether or not the answers are visible to anyone but the poster (or potentially "anyone but the poster before the poll closes", or "anyone on this list of usernames"). If it doesn't have these, you could end up with a situation similar to forums necro-posting, and just like, general confusion. I think it'd be nice if the polls could also specify whether changing your answer is allowed (sometimes that makes sense, sometimes you don't want a popularity contest).

Another "nice but not 100% a dealbreaker" would be "pinning" a poll- that is, if a poll is happening in a thread, there'd be a button to jump to it like there is for a dev post in a thread. I would suggest making the poll always show up on the front page of the thread, but I think that could get messy if there were multiple polls in a single thread at once (an example- pinging the flight to a Dom thread to ask when they'd like to push, and which of three themes they would prefer to see first, could be two polls at once that might both be fairly long)

(This has me thinking about how an onsite exalt form could work too- since that's the other thing Google Forms gets used for- and boy, it'd be so nice if the site could track dragons I exalted today/dragons sold to me today (and by whom) and let me give others that info... but that's not entirely germane to the topic at hand, heh)
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

support because polls would be soooo useful. people lurking could still give an answer, which means the amount of answers received would dramatically increase. would it decrease discussion? maybe a little. but i think it would be worth
support because polls would be soooo useful. people lurking could still give an answer, which means the amount of answers received would dramatically increase. would it decrease discussion? maybe a little. but i think it would be worth
eGBpGF4.png

fr +1 | she/they
skins | adopts
I don't have any input on polls for normal forums, but they'd have to make it so they can't be make in suggestions. Suggestions aren't supposed to be support/no support or voting for things and are ?eant for discussion.

But as for other places? I don't mind.
I don't have any input on polls for normal forums, but they'd have to make it so they can't be make in suggestions. Suggestions aren't supposed to be support/no support or voting for things and are ?eant for discussion.

But as for other places? I don't mind.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png