Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Consolidate Dress Room/Predict Morph
I know this has come up before, but I think it'd be worth thinking about making Dressing Room part of Predict Morphology. The features currently do have a bit of interplay, but I think there could be more.

I'm envisioning this as akin to how Joxar's Spare Inventory worked when it was under Festive Favors, or how Baldwin's different functions work- one page with tabs you can switch between, to change what's shown on the right of the dragon (and the background).

Proposed Task Flow
  • The Predict Morphology tab doesn't change, except that there will be two buttons above the scroll- "Dress This Dragon" and "Dress a Mannequin".
  • Clicking "Dress This Dragon" imports the current scry into the Outfit part of the Dressing Room, while "Dress a Mannequin" prompts the user to select a breed before hopping in, similar to how things already work.
  • In the Outfit view, there would be two new buttons (up near the Open/Save/Export ones); "Return to Scry" and "Return to Scry (hide apparel)". This would return to Predict Morphology with the apparel either shown or not.
  • In order to accommodate for Ancients, if you have apparel equipped and try to switch to an Ancient, you'll get a popup asking if you want to save the outfit first or clear it.
  • If you try to switch from the Dressing Room to the Scry Shop with the dragon set to a mannequin, the dragon will initialize as that breed/sex with Antique Basic/Antique Basic/Ivory Stained (or whatever combination the devs feel is closest to the mannequins' look) and random eyes.

Technical Notes

• As far as design decisions go, I don't think a "Dress This ID" nor "Dress This Morphology" button is needed, since Predict Morphology has an ID box (and they'd thus be covered by "Dress This Dragon"), though I think an "Import Dragon" could be nice to add near the "Load Morphology button"
  • The apparel going into Predict Morphology could work as an overlay, essentially- it's not able to be tweaked in Predict Morphology mode, so it can be just like you shoved a Marva cloak under everything else and just kinda sit pretty on top of everything. It'd probably be cached (similarly to how Outfits and Morphologies already are), so the server doesn't need to be asked for it again unless a breed change comes into play.
  • This would entirely remove the Outfit page- I realize this does mean that a morphology would get generated even when somebody just wants to dress their dragon, but given that's already how Predict Morphology functions, I don't know if this would be the end of the world?
  • Saving a Morphology with an unsaved Outfit or saving an Outfit with an unsaved Morphology will give a prompt asking if you'd like to save the other half too- the order is always "name/save Morphology, then name/save Outfit" since Outfits need to know what dragon they go on.

I think it's worth noting that I'm not suggesting that Assay Bloodlines or Foresee Progeny should be shoved into this (besides the fact that I think consolidating the two of them could be useful). It'd be a good time to update Morphologies so that scrying babies of Morphologies was possible, but I digress...

It'd also be a nice QoL thing to be able to fully re-roll the dragon (using the same parameters breed change randomization currently uses- that is, if you have apparel equipped, it'll only randomize to Moderns) with one button press, too, but that's just a tangential thing.

TL;DR: Given the overlap between what Dressing Room and Predict Morphology do, in practice, I think they could be effectively combined.
I know this has come up before, but I think it'd be worth thinking about making Dressing Room part of Predict Morphology. The features currently do have a bit of interplay, but I think there could be more.

I'm envisioning this as akin to how Joxar's Spare Inventory worked when it was under Festive Favors, or how Baldwin's different functions work- one page with tabs you can switch between, to change what's shown on the right of the dragon (and the background).

Proposed Task Flow
  • The Predict Morphology tab doesn't change, except that there will be two buttons above the scroll- "Dress This Dragon" and "Dress a Mannequin".
  • Clicking "Dress This Dragon" imports the current scry into the Outfit part of the Dressing Room, while "Dress a Mannequin" prompts the user to select a breed before hopping in, similar to how things already work.
  • In the Outfit view, there would be two new buttons (up near the Open/Save/Export ones); "Return to Scry" and "Return to Scry (hide apparel)". This would return to Predict Morphology with the apparel either shown or not.
  • In order to accommodate for Ancients, if you have apparel equipped and try to switch to an Ancient, you'll get a popup asking if you want to save the outfit first or clear it.
  • If you try to switch from the Dressing Room to the Scry Shop with the dragon set to a mannequin, the dragon will initialize as that breed/sex with Antique Basic/Antique Basic/Ivory Stained (or whatever combination the devs feel is closest to the mannequins' look) and random eyes.

Technical Notes

• As far as design decisions go, I don't think a "Dress This ID" nor "Dress This Morphology" button is needed, since Predict Morphology has an ID box (and they'd thus be covered by "Dress This Dragon"), though I think an "Import Dragon" could be nice to add near the "Load Morphology button"
  • The apparel going into Predict Morphology could work as an overlay, essentially- it's not able to be tweaked in Predict Morphology mode, so it can be just like you shoved a Marva cloak under everything else and just kinda sit pretty on top of everything. It'd probably be cached (similarly to how Outfits and Morphologies already are), so the server doesn't need to be asked for it again unless a breed change comes into play.
  • This would entirely remove the Outfit page- I realize this does mean that a morphology would get generated even when somebody just wants to dress their dragon, but given that's already how Predict Morphology functions, I don't know if this would be the end of the world?
  • Saving a Morphology with an unsaved Outfit or saving an Outfit with an unsaved Morphology will give a prompt asking if you'd like to save the other half too- the order is always "name/save Morphology, then name/save Outfit" since Outfits need to know what dragon they go on.

I think it's worth noting that I'm not suggesting that Assay Bloodlines or Foresee Progeny should be shoved into this (besides the fact that I think consolidating the two of them could be useful). It'd be a good time to update Morphologies so that scrying babies of Morphologies was possible, but I digress...

It'd also be a nice QoL thing to be able to fully re-roll the dragon (using the same parameters breed change randomization currently uses- that is, if you have apparel equipped, it'll only randomize to Moderns) with one button press, too, but that's just a tangential thing.

TL;DR: Given the overlap between what Dressing Room and Predict Morphology do, in practice, I think they could be effectively combined.
a small yellow and gold flag with the Light Flight's symbol
She/Her, FR +0
No worms in my username-
R e n a i w o m
I like being pinged, but not mass ones.
I often process thoughts by writing... Trying to TL;DR more.

I'm not energy enough to make a super educated analysis, but holy mother of Plaguebringer, the amount of times I've wanted to match colors and genes to apparel for project purposes? It's so unbelievably clunky to do, I just wanna be able to scry a dressed dragon.
I'm not energy enough to make a super educated analysis, but holy mother of Plaguebringer, the amount of times I've wanted to match colors and genes to apparel for project purposes? It's so unbelievably clunky to do, I just wanna be able to scry a dressed dragon.
He/she/them
FR +3
Information+Wishlist+Art Shop!
Aether adopts!
My colorwheel project!

This is a reminder to be patient with new players in the suggestions forum if they post something commonly suggested! The forum search isn't particularly outstanding or obvious.
RcqRLxb.png